799th Post

user profileedit/delete message

PSN: My3DSFriendCode
XBL: isdownbellow
Wii: 279306128909

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"The Art Of Video Games in the Smithsonian" , posted Thu 20 Sep 14:31post reply

http://photobucket.com/SiG_and_vidyart

If you guys are not from the East Coast but want to check it out anyways, here's most of the exhibits being displayed.

My only complaint is...why leave out handhelds? Also this who skew of focusing on the art of videogames paying attention mostly towards presentation, storyline, and experience, has kind of made me feel irked a bit. In fact, I wish they also had given game mechanics as much attention as everything else they put up. Luckily their "top 4" videogames aren't based on just popularity. I'm surprised games like Panzer Dragoon Orta, Phantasy Star, and Zack & Wiki got exhibited.

Replies:

Nekros
503th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):The Art Of Video Games in the Smithsoni" , posted Thu 20 Sep 21:10post reply

quote:
Luckily their "top 4" videogames aren't based on just popularity. I'm surprised games like Panzer Dragoon Orta, Phantasy Star, and Zack & Wiki got exhibited.

I'm more surprised to see halo and gears of war along with them.

Nekros
505th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):The Art Of Video Games in the Smithsoni" , posted Thu 20 Sep 21:10:post reply

Sorry, double post.

[this message was edited by Nekros on Thu 20 Sep 21:11]

Ishmael
4454th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):The Art Of Video Games in the Smithsoni" , posted Fri 21 Sep 02:40post reply

Thanks for the photos. There's something funny about seeing all those old ergonomically incorrect controllers preserved behind glass like the artifacts of a bygone era that they are.

quote:
Also this who skew of focusing on the art of videogames paying attention mostly towards presentation, storyline, and experience, has kind of made me feel irked a bit. In fact, I wish they also had given game mechanics as much attention as everything else they put up.

What was the theme of the display? It looks like it was focused on the aesthetics more than anything. That streamlined approach is probably a good idea since trying to explain something far less tangible such as mechanics would have made for a more cluttered presentation.

sfried
800th Post

PSN: My3DSFriendCode
XBL: isdownbellow
Wii: 279306128909

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(2):The Art Of Video Games in the Smithsoni" , posted Fri 21 Sep 05:27post reply

quote:
I'm more surprised to see halo and gears of war along with them.

There was the funny Halo for Atari 2600 "demake" boxart in on of the cases.

quote:
What was the theme of the display? It looks like it was focused on the aesthetics more than anything. That streamlined approach is probably a good idea since trying to explain something far less tangible such as mechanics would have made for a more cluttered presentation.

Well, it is the "Art" of videogames after all, but they were getting metaphysical about how videogames are not like any other medium, but I agree that for a streamlined approach, it isn't as bad as, say G4's retrospectives (*shudder*)... I'll give them props for giving some lesser known games limelight though.

Burning Ranger
1720th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):The Art Of Video Games in the Smithsoni" , posted Fri 5 Oct 11:48post reply

quote:
http://photobucket.com/SiG_and_vidyart

I saw the exhibit a few days after it opened. It's a small exhibit though--the art section was probably the most interesting. That room with the consoles behind glass was (a) unnecessary IMHO (space that should of have been given more to the art side) and/or (b) unrepresentative (lacking arcade coverage and Neo Geo).

Still, glad gaming is getting attention at the Smithsonian (I also attended a Smithsonian event a few years back where I met Ralph Baer, the true father of video games).

So much to do so little time...