Europe travel - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1824 Views )

simonbelmont
152th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Regular Customer

"Europe travel" , posted Thu 20 Sep 07:04post reply

Any of the café people familiar with Barcelona or Munchen? I’ll be visiting those cities shortly. Just wondering what I should do while I’m there. Been to Munchen before but I was 15 and don’t remember much about it. I like museums and ruins. Drinking and eating are fun too. I will definitely be hitting up Oktoberfest this year. Any tents in particular I should check out?

I will also be in southern Italy near Napoli but I’ve already been there recently and know what to expect. Years ago I asked for some travel advice for Hong Kong and got some awesome responses from the café elite.

Replies:

karasu99
995th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris
Wii: n/a

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):Europe travel" , posted Thu 20 Sep 11:07post reply

quote:
Any of the café people familiar with Barcelona or Munchen? I’ll be visiting those cities shortly. Just wondering what I should do while I’m there. Been to Munchen before but I was 15 and don’t remember much about it. I like museums and ruins. Drinking and eating are fun too. I will definitely be hitting up Oktoberfest this year. Any tents in particular I should check out?

Munchen is one of my favorite places in the world! I'll probably give you too much detail but ah well.

I can't recommend much ruins, but go see Neuschwanstein as a day trip as you can-- it's nuts. Also, in Munchen itself, go see the Residenz and Nymphenburg Palaces. There are some really cool churches too, but pick one and go see the Assam Kirche, a tiny, insanely decorated place. For museums, I loved the Pinakothek der Moderne, a great modern art museum, and the Staatliche Antikensammlungen, an antiquities museum. Also, make sure to go see Marienplatz!

Now, as for BEER: Check out the Hofbrauhaus of course. When I was there there was a whole squad of super drunk Japanese business types dancing and yelling like lunatics around the oompah band that was playing-- one of the most hilarious parts of any trip I've ever been on. For local Munchen beers, try some Augustiner Brau-- just the plain helles if you can. It's incredible. Another great Munchen-centered brewery is Paulaner-- look up their brew house. They always have an amazing one-off beer available on draft. Since it will be Oktoberfest, many of the breweries from Bavaria will be around, so if you can, try your best to try Ayonger (first) and Weihenstephaner (second). They're two of the very best beers in Germany. If you're feeling adventurous and like smoky things, you may be able to find some Bamberger Rauchbiers, beers made with smoked malt. The two best (and practically the only ones left these days) are Aecht Schlenkerla and Spezial.

Whew! Hope that helps! Hit me up if you want any other details.

www.secret-arts.com

simonbelmont
153th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Europe travel" , posted Fri 21 Sep 03:13post reply

Thanks for the advice! Will definitely be on the lookout for drunk and dancing Japanese tourists. Had a feeling asking around here would help out. I should have said castles and forts instead for Germany and Spain. Italy has the cool ruins. My bad. Visited Neuschwanstein castle last time I was in Germany. You are right it was crazy awesome. I definitely would visit it again. Funny how Disney ripped off their castle from Mad King Ludwig.

Also, remember visiting Dachau which was important to see once but probably never want to see again. I really can’t think of anything else. I’m old now and don’t need to know where the after hours bars and clubs are. It will be nice to see if Munchen has changed. Last time I remember seeing sex shops and cigarette machines on like every corner.

Iggy
9387th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Europe travel" , posted Fri 21 Sep 04:07post reply

I'm not sure for Barcelona, as I've been there with a local to guide me all around. There are huge honey spots for tourists, but you can't pass Gaudi's things. They're everywhere anyway. The Parque Guell and the Sagrada Familia are worthy of everything that's been said on them.
Another thing I liked (but then, the ambiance helped) was to visit the old Olympic installations. It's a huge space full of not so much, but the park around is nice. There's a telepherico as well somewhere, that goes to more parks.
As for going out and drinking and eating good cheese and ham, locals are necessary I suppose...? Not so much to know which are the good places, but just because the places actually become different with them. I don't know, I didn't mind visiting Madrid, or most other cities, alone, but in Barcelona there was quite a difference between when I was on my own and when I was with them.
So yeah, not very useful post, sorry.

nobinobita
1097th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(2):Europe travel" , posted Fri 21 Sep 11:48post reply

quote:
They're everywhere anyway. The Parque Guell and the Sagrada Familia are worthy of everything that's been said on them.

The Sagrada Familia is a must see. It's stunning. Really one of the most impressive sites in the entire world.

www.art-eater.com

simonbelmont
154th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Europe travel" , posted Sat 22 Sep 04:34post reply

Your post is useful. It’s good to have a local show you around. That way you can see what most tourists miss. A half-day guided tour probably by a local is included but I don’t know the details yet. Just looking at the itinerary it recommended checking out Parque Guell, Casa Batlo, Casa Mila, La Pedrera so I guess it’s safe to say those will not be included on the tour.

Thanks everyone for the help! I hope someday I can help people out like you all have done for me. Until then I guess I’ll continue lurking at the Café.

karasu99
997th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(3):Europe travel" , posted Sat 22 Sep 06:50post reply

quote:
Your post is useful. It’s good to have a local show you around. That way you can see what most tourists miss. A half-day guided tour probably by a local is included but I don’t know the details yet. Just looking at the itinerary it recommended checking out Parque Guell, Casa Batlo, Casa Mila, La Pedrera so I guess it’s safe to say those will not be included on the tour.

Thanks everyone for the help! I hope someday I can help people out like you all have done for me. Until then I guess I’ll continue lurking at the Café.

I'm happy to be of help! the Cafe denizens have been really helpful with their recommendations for my past travel as well. Enjoy your trip!

www.secret-arts.com

Oroch
1132th Post

PSN: Alpha-Class
XBL: n/a

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):Europe travel" , posted Tue 16 Oct 10:42:post reply

quote:

I will also be in southern Italy near Napoli but I’ve already been there recently and know what to expect. Years ago I asked for some travel advice for Hong Kong and got some awesome responses from the café elite.

visit club bagdad when you goto barcelona, i took iggy and kikkoken there once in my dreams.

[this message was edited by Oroch on Tue 16 Oct 10:43]

karasu99
1022th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(2):travel travel" , posted Fri 26 Oct 23:16post reply

Since this thread is here, I thought I'd ask if anyone here can point me to some stuff to do in Australia. I'll be there on the east coast for three weeks in December and while I know there are plenty of tourist book things to see (Great Barrier Reef, Ayers Rock, etc.) I thought maybe there are some Cafe-specific suggestions. Also, I admit I have no clue about the state of video games in Australia, whatsoever.

www.secret-arts.com