Question about PS1 games on Vita - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1964 Views )

chazumaru
905th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Question about PS1 games on Vita (answered!)" , posted Tue 28 Aug 20:27:post reply

So the PS1 games finally appeared on Vita. Apparently, for many US games, you are requested to download the game on PS3 first, keep it in the pre-install bubble then upload the pre-install bubble from the PS3 to the Vita via USB. Then you install the game on Vita and "voila".

Now, I have a question for those of you who master that technological crapfest better than me.

Let's say I want the US version of Vagrant Story on my Japanese Vita. Can I simply download it from my PS3's US account then transfer it to my Japanese Vita and play that version?
[edit] The answer is NO.

(I know I can change the PSN account of the Vita but I would prefer to keep it on the JP account all the way through.)

I hope that some of you with US Vitas are trying the other way around (getting JP games on your US Vita via your PS3's JP account) so maybe you have an answer for me. My fear is that the game would be blocked because the account used for the purchase is different from the JP account I use on PS3 and Vita.

Thanks!

無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Wed 29 Aug 18:56]

Replies:

Pollyanna
3270th Post

PSN: Lilly_Dopamine
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Question about PS1 games on Vita" , posted Tue 28 Aug 21:05post reply

We might be the only people on the board with Vita (?) and I had the same question, hahaha!

I do believe you have to use your appropriate region account, though, as that's what it does with other files. It won't let you transfer from the PS3 unless you're transferring from the same account to the same account. Seeing as they do that with things that don't cost money, I don't have much faith that things you purchase will transfer.

This has been a question for me and DLC. Like, I have Tales of Innocence and play it on my US account, but if I download DLC for it, will I have to log into my JP or Asia account to access it? Since I've imported most of my games, it might have been wiser to make the JP account my "default", but it was just too nice to have it synch with my main PS3 account.

I've been spoiled by the PS3, but region hoops still beat region lock, I guess.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

chazumaru
902th Post

"Re(2):Question about PS1 games on Vita" , posted Tue 28 Aug 22:15post reply

Ah, I was hoping you had the answer. Indeed, I am not sure anyone else has bought the console. And by that I mean: in the whole world. I certainly do not believe Near's lies.

quote:
It won't let you transfer from the PS3 unless you're transferring from the same account to the same account.

I assumed that would be the case, but what if I download the game via my PS3 US account, then switch to my PS3 JP account, then try to transfer from PS3 to Vita?

I can install PS3 files on my PS3 via my JP account even if I downloaded the file on my US account. Maybe I should mention all my consoles are Japanese and main accounts the JP ones. But, at least for PS3 files, I am pretty sure it does not matter.

Zepy
1598th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):Question about PS1 games on Vita" , posted Tue 28 Aug 23:09post reply

quote:
Indeed, I am not sure anyone else has bought the console. And by that I mean: in the whole world. I certainly do not believe Near's lies.

I have a Vita and the only game I ever really played on it is Gravity Daze!

Totally worth it though!

chazumaru
903th Post

"Re(4):Question about PS1 games on Vita" , posted Wed 29 Aug 00:30post reply

Pretty sad thing is that there is a better chance we see Gravity Daze PS3 at TGS than a new build of The Last Guardian.

karasu99
975th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

"Re(5):Question about PS1 games on Vita" , posted Wed 29 Aug 01:19post reply

I have a Vita too, but I've been lazy about trying this exact thing out so far. I may give it a shot this evening and I'll report back anything I find.

www.secret-arts.com

Pollyanna
3272th Post

PSN: Lilly_Dopamine

"Re(3):Question about PS1 games on Vita" , posted Wed 29 Aug 07:44post reply

Quick question. If you're playing a Vita game, does it show up on people's friends lists if they're playing PS3? Like will it tell them that I'm playing The Golden while they're playing Dirt 2? (not that it really matters, just curious)

quote:

I assumed that would be the case, but what if I download the game via my PS3 US account, then switch to my PS3 JP account, then try to transfer from PS3 to Vita?

Maybe I didn't say it right, but that's exactly what I was saying. If you download something onto the PS3 with one account, then try to transfer it with a different account, the Vita won't accept it, saying it was downloaded with a different account (from the Vita).
quote:

I have a Vita and the only game I ever really played on it is Gravity Daze!

Totally worth it though!

Yep! I don't like to call anything "my favorite game ever", but Gravity Daze owns a possibly permanent spot in the cycling top 3.

I enjoyed Tales of Innocence fairly well, and I like The Golden much more than I thought I would! All of the additions are nice, and being able to skip some of the unnecessarily talky scenes is fantastic. The only downside is that having more awesome stuff to do has made the characters too awesome and the game is a little too easy.

quote:
I have a Vita too, but I've been lazy about trying this exact thing out so far. I may give it a shot this evening and I'll report back anything I find.

Argh! How rude of me to forget you when we've talked about the Vita as much as we have.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

sibarraz
461th Post

PSN: DefensorVirtuoso

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Question about PS1 games on Vita" , posted Wed 29 Aug 10:08post reply

I'm considering in getting a vita this year if they announce a date for dj max technika for the US

chazumaru
905th Post

"Re(4):Question about PS1 games on Vita" , posted Wed 29 Aug 18:55:post reply

So a friend tried to get a US game on his Japanese Vita last night: impossible. That answers our question.

In fact, Sony made certain this would be impossible! They added a new restriction with Firmware 1.80 according to Neogaf:
Remember how you could change the PSN account on your Vita without changing your memory card and without formatting it? Well, as of firmware update 1.80 the fun is over. Your memory card is now locked to one account and this can only be changed by formatting the memory card.

So is this why it took so long? Were they waiting for that update before releasing PS1 games? I am not sure I understand the logic. I don't buy the business scheme to sell more memory cards. This has extremely low potential and bigger PR backlash results than concrete benefits. Possibly, this is linked to security concerns (running PSP code on Vita).

My other theory is that they did not want people to easily buy PS1 games before they suddenly could not access them on their memory card anymore. Given the trouble they had with the removal of Unix on PS3, I would understand if they wanted to avoid a consumer service quagmire and possible class action.

I am not brave enough to get Vagrant in Japanese so I will get Silent Bomber and Grandia instead. I bought and tried MGS last night before going to bed. First and foremost, I had forgotten how spectacular this game was and remains. Lightning in a bottle. Also, I had forgotten about the screen capture feature of Vita (PS button + Start) but it does not work for PS1 games anyway. The backtouch is used for L2 and R2, as expected. You can remap the other buttons, and bi-linear filtering is available.

Stuff I had not noticed because I did not care about PS Archives until 24 hours ago:
+ FF789 are priced at ¥1500 each, but Legend of Dragoon is priced at ¥600. ijime
+ FF9 is actually a smaller file size than 7 and 8.
+ Chrono Trigger ¥1200 Vs. Chrono Cross ¥800 ooooh. I wonder if this is a status thing or just the consequence of Chrono Trigger's hefty price on the Nintendo DS. Anyhow it is quite fun to see which games are more expensive than others.
+ Gran Turismo is not there. For legal reasons maybe? Hmm...
+ Motor Toon GP is only available in the Western shops. Is Polyphony pissed at their old fans or something?
+ Only R4! Where are the other Ridge Racer games? Is this a conspiracy against racing games?
+ WHERE IS TOBAL 2!?

quote:
Quick question. If you're playing a Vita game, does it show up on people's friends lists if they're playing PS3? Like will it tell them that I'm playing The Golden while they're playing Dirt 2? (not that it really matters, just curious)

I am pretty sure it does. So yes, all your friends will know you play CielGris Fantasm on your Vita, sorry.

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Wed 29 Aug 19:01]

KTallguy
1413th Post

PSN: Hunter-KT

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(5):Question about PS1 games on Vita" , posted Thu 30 Aug 00:58post reply

Yeah this is pretty lame about the region locking BS.

On the other hand I really love Gravity Daze, and Sound Shapes, and I'm got Loco Roco 2 for 8 dollars which is a steal for how good that game is.

What really annoys is how all my PSP disks are just sitting there :(

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

chazumaru
905th Post

"Re(6):Question about PS1 games on Vita" , posted Thu 30 Aug 01:15post reply

What is so strange about the Vita situation is that it is seemingly a perfect console for people who pirated PSP (they can buy the PSP games they know they would still play and be ready to pay money for) but very unfriendly to anyone who played it legally.

Ex. I can't see myself buying Ys Seven again or buying a fifth version of Sora no Kiseki. And I would have probably been screwed by that 1.80 update somehow, had I considered Game Archives on PSP or PS3.

KTallguy
1414th Post

"Re(7):Question about PS1 games on Vita" , posted Thu 30 Aug 03:22post reply

And my PSP is also broken :( Oh well.

The funny thing about the PSP is that the games I like aren't very portable at all... so I just hook it up to my TV and play it like a makeshift PS1. :) I better snag a PSP before they're all gone (haha).

sibarraz
463th Post

PSN: DefensorVirtuoso

Gold Customer

"Re(8):Question about PS1 games on Vita" , posted Thu 30 Aug 04:15post reply

I hate that they removed dj max fever for the psn store, oh well, I'm not decided yet if the vita will be worthy, there is some hype for the future catalogue?

Maou
2371th Post

"Re(5):Question about PS1 games on Vita" , posted Thu 30 Aug 05:38post reply

quote:
Chrono Trigger ¥1200 Vs. Chrono Cross ¥800
They should pay ME to play Chrono Cross. I suppose I would play 800 yen just to listen to the perfect soundtrack all day...but then, I already own that.
quote:
WHERE IS TOBAL 2!?
This is an existential question that we should be asking at all times, Vita or otherwise, along the lines of "where is god?" and "where is my lunch?"

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

KTallguy
1415th Post

"Re(6):Question about PS1 games on Vita" , posted Thu 30 Aug 08:05post reply

I would love to play a version of Chrono Cross that was a lot better than the one I played years ago.

Maou
2372th Post

"Re(7):Question about PS1 games on Vita" , posted Thu 30 Aug 08:09post reply

quote:
I would love to play a version of Chrono Cross that was a lot better than the one I played years ago.
I think it was called Xenogears. Given its theme of alternate futures and missed opportunities in life, Chrono Cross is ironically quite self-referential.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...