Surrender to apple - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2789 Views )

oh my
79th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Occasional Customer

"Surrender to apple and gameloft" , posted Mon 30 Jul 13:31:post reply

I POD, I PAD and gameloft, the best thing that came for mobile games.

Every video game system has to surrender to apple, its sooo GOOOODDDD. And gameloft knows how to take the mobile games full potential, "NOVA", Modern ermm combat? and "order and chaos" are pretty good, I was amazed that I was playing those games in a little slim card looking device.

At the beginning I didn’t like the idea about downloading games but it is so convenient. Now I see the DS, PSP and other devices and I think they are crap. I convince my sister to buy an X-box with a Kinect and I love it but putting a CD and connect in the TV and all that crap makes me lazy.

What do you think, will apple be a video game revolution?
Will apple be a Video game revolution?
yes
Never
I hate apple

what?

[this message was edited by oh my on Mon 30 Jul 14:08]

Replies:

Digitalboy
766th Post

PSN: n/a
XBL: JestingGenie99(automatednamecreatedbyXBL)
Wii: n/a

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):Surrender to apple and gameloft" , posted Mon 30 Jul 16:07post reply

I voted no...and I will have to explain it another day.
quote:

Every video game system has to surrender to apple, its sooo GOOOODDDD. And gameloft knows how to take the mobile games full potential, "NOVA", Modern ermm combat? and "order and chaos" are pretty good, I was amazed that I was playing those games in a little slim card looking device.

At the beginning I didn’t like the idea about downloading games but it is so convenient. Now I see the DS, PSP and other devices and I think they are crap. I convince my sister to buy an X-box with a Kinect and I love it but putting a CD and connect in the TV and all that crap makes me lazy.

Poll

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

Pollyanna
3261th Post

PSN: Lilly_Dopamine
XBL: n/a

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):Surrender to apple and gameloft" , posted Mon 30 Jul 17:10post reply

quote:

putting a CD and connect in the TV and all that crap makes me lazy.

I call myself a "casual" gamer, despite all the time and money I put into the hobby, because there is an uncrossable sea between me and "hardcore" gamers and I would rather label myself before someone throws it at my as an insult.

But this is casual...and that's not an insult. Rather, I'm happy to see that people of all level of interest can get what they want out of games. So sure, I say it's a revolution.

For the record, I've actually never heard of "Gameloft" and I don't have an iPhone

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Iggy
9361th Post

"Re(3):Surrender to apple and gameloft" , posted Tue 31 Jul 03:53post reply

So that's what they call ステマ! I can't wait for Gree and Dena's international division to become fully active.

Maou
2369th Post

"Re(4):Surrender to apple and gameloft" , posted Tue 31 Jul 05:20:post reply

quote:
So that's what they call ステマ! I can't wait for Gree and Dena's international division to become fully active.

that has got to be the first "stealth marketing" to involve a "surrender" subject line

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 31 Jul 05:21]

Ishmael
4422th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b

"Re(5):Surrender to apple and gameloft" , posted Tue 31 Jul 09:25post reply

Consoles aren't going anywhere any time soon but the only chance dedicated handhelds have is if they develop a retro mystique. It worked for phonographs. Otherwise I can see handhelds going the way of cassette players and arcades.

KTallguy
1409th Post

PSN: Hunter-KT

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(6):Surrender to apple and gameloft" , posted Wed 1 Aug 01:30post reply

quote:
Consoles aren't going anywhere any time soon but the only chance dedicated handhelds have is if they develop a retro mystique. It worked for phonographs. Otherwise I can see handhelds going the way of cassette players and arcades.

A retro mystique isn't going to allow Sony/Nintendo to sell enough units to maintain profitability.

I'll miss dedicated handhelds. A little bit. Just someone let me slap a gamepad on an iphone.

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

Mozex
452th Post

PSN: Mozex

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Surrender to apple and gameloft" , posted Wed 1 Aug 23:40post reply

I spend more time gaming on my phone than any other device these days, but I still enjoy games more on my DS, PC, or PS3. It's a matter of convenience. I'm going to take my phone everywhere; but I'll only bring along my DS for things like train rides, road trips, and flights.

A company is porting Baldur's Gate I and II to iPad right now (http://www.baldursgate.com/). Those could work really well with the touch interface, but I haven't played an action game I really enjoyed.

Be kind to goblins.

karasu99
977th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(2):Apple/Android vs Vita/3DS" , posted Fri 31 Aug 04:23post reply

I'll resurrect this old thread to pose a question to anyone who might have any info or knowledge. How is are the iPhone and Android phones in general doing in Japan? How about in comparison to DS/3DS/PSP/Vita?

I ask because there's this perception, at least as far as the US is concerned, that is echoed earlier in this thread: that dedicated handheld game consoles are on the run and maybe even doomed because of the ascendancy of smartphone and tablet based gaming. It seems to me that it might be almost impossible to measure short of running a survey since there are plenty of people who have such devices and don't play games, tons of people who would never buy a Vita who are playing games constantly on their iPhone. AND, last but not least, lots of games that aren't even games in the 3DS/Vita sense that are called games on phones and tablets.

Also relevant are two more things: the not-so-stellar sales of the current generation of game handhelds and the rather surprising lack of games in any great numbers for said handhelds.

www.secret-arts.com

chazumaru
907th Post

"Re(3):Apple vs Android vs Vita vs 3DS" , posted Fri 31 Aug 18:34:post reply

#1. Vita ≠ 3DS ≠ DS ≠ iPhone =(?) Android
#2. Sales ≠ Revenue ≠ Profit

Your question begins on the wrong track.

マジカル学習と言ったら勉強♪勉強と言ったら学園♪学園と言ったらジャスティス♪ジャスティスと言ったら裁判♪裁判と言ったら逆転♪逆転と言ったらさよなら!♪さよならと言ったら淋しい♪淋しいと言ったらなみだ♪なみだと言ったらティッシュペーパー♪ティッシュペーパーと言ったらエロ漫画♪

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Fri 31 Aug 18:35]

Digitalboy
767th Post

PSN: n/a
XBL: JestingGenie99(automatednamecreatedbyXBL)

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):Surrender to apple and gameloft" , posted Sun 16 Sep 01:35post reply

This is not a revolution to portable/mobile games.

It is an EVOLUTION.

Remember those Tiger hand held games? Before the Gameboy, many children played on these plastic junk. Once the Gameboy was released, mobile gaming evolved. Sega, Sony...et cetera...portable gaming evolved.

The games that are available on the App Store, Google Play, and Windows Store that ranges from FREE to $30 plus are just bringing in more gamers regardless of the casual/hardcore crowd.

Personally, seeing an iOS port of the King of Fighters and Metal Slug is great! Playing an iOS port of King of Fighters is...different.

I am planning to buy a new iPod Touch due to my niece decided for me that I did not need my old one by breaking it and not tell me.

I find myself playing less on BOTH portable/mobile and consoles. I just have my attention diverted to my family instead. Although I have a smart phone, I hardly ever play games on them. I know that above all else that it is primarily a PHONE.

I am more into creating gifs, cinemagraphs and home movies now. Which is why I am buying a new iPod Touch. A PMP that has more than enough to keep me satisfied.

One pet peeve, I have noticed is how people take pictures of some of the dumbest things AND sharing it on social media. Hey female cousin that lives down the street from me! Maybe you should put down the fork and stop taking pictures of your food. No one cares about your instagram food feed. All of your followers just want to see bewbz 4 teh winz. And oh, start exercising and stuff. Is there some sort of protocol that you NEED to take pictures of a campfire because, just maybe, there are people that are on twitter/facebook/instagram/weibo/google +/et cetera that has never seen an actual campfire?
Social media is not for me. Being attached to the Mad Man's Cafe is the closest.

Need to sleep...
quote:

Poll

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

Burning Ranger
1718th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Surrender to apple and gameloft" , posted Wed 19 Sep 10:24post reply

quote:

God, I hope not. Worse case scenario... if there is a revolution, it will make casual gaming more accessible to the masses, much like how the Playstation and Xbox made gaming more mainstream.

And while handhelds have a lot of interesting games on them, I've pretty much stayed away with very few exceptions (like playing Out of this World on the iPad). I prefer to play my games on the big screens these days (though I have been flirting with getting a 3DS XL, because BIGGER SCREENS).

So much to do so little time...

karasu99
998th Post

"Re(2):Surprising arrivals on the app store" , posted Sat 22 Sep 08:05post reply

Wha, I just noticed that two pretty interesting games have arrived in the app store, Vay and Lunar: Silver Star Story. Clearly mobile isn't the best target for a lot of games, but my suspicion is that RPGs probably far pretty well since they were largely shoehorned into supporting control pads in the first place in a lot of ways.

The graphics look not bad, although the sidebar menu on Vay is a little cheap-looking.

Anyway, I haven't bought them yet-- $4.99 and $6.99 is a bit much for me at the moment, but I was wondering if anyone had and if so what they thought. If these guys ever release Lunar 2 I may just have to buy it.

www.secret-arts.com

Grave
1472th Post

PSN: Drakee
XBL: eccothedolphin

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(3):Surprising arrivals on the app store" , posted Sat 22 Sep 08:16post reply

quote:
Wha, I just noticed that two pretty interesting games have arrived in the app store, Vay and Lunar: Silver Star Story. Clearly mobile isn't the best target for a lot of games, but my suspicion is that RPGs probably far pretty well since they were largely shoehorned into supporting control pads in the first place in a lot of ways.

The graphics look not bad, although the sidebar menu on Vay is a little cheap-looking.

Anyway, I haven't bought them yet-- $4.99 and $6.99 is a bit much for me at the moment, but I was wondering if anyone had and if so what they thought. If these guys ever release Lunar 2 I may just have to buy it.

Vay is an old port- been around since before the iPhone 4! I never played the original, but as far as I can tell it plays just the same. Definitely has the same cutscenes as Sega CD. The combat sprites have been redrawn in a new style some dislike, but I think it's OK! The art on the status screens look like shit, but the retina display update made combat look really nice.

The translation is... wow. It's really, really bad! Some serious grammar issues, a lot of horrible pop culture references. Maybe they figured they'd try to ape WD? Anyway, I played a lot of it before the update and hadn't touched it in a long time, but maybe I'll try to finish it now. I did have a lot of fun with it up until this point! It's a super-generic RPG and it can be kinda grindy, but if you really dig old RPGs you'll probably have fun.

I downloaded a bunch of non-port 16-bit lookin' RPGs that were on sale a while back (from Kemco? maybe?) but I've never actually tried any of them. I'm bad. Maybe I'll do that soon!

Maou
2383th Post

"Re(4):Mega CD arrivals on the app store" , posted Sat 22 Sep 09:00:post reply

quote:
Mega CD, Lunar, Working Designs, other things I love
You called? who has awakened me from my deep slumber

Vay is the weirdest thing ever to appear on an iphone, all the more so given that the insane people who went dumpster-diving for ancient titles decided to go the extra mile by putting in grossly out of place sprites, the crummy kind so common in low-tier downloadable games. I mean, the original is certainly creaky, but at least it has graphical consistency! I'd call the new model on the sad sad iOS version "lipstick on a pig" but I think that gets it in reverse and defames the wholly competent original...I think they put pig on some nice lipstick.

...all of which is why I wouldn't trust these amateur hour guys to handle a Silver Star Story port. But then, the Americans will happy given that the new translation won't be as bad as XSeed's "improved" work on the PSP port...or will they? Sounds like they tried their bumbling hand on Vay, but what will happen to SSS?

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
Secrets: though seeing as how I own a Mega CD and a Sega CD, each with the exact same three games, two of which are Lunar 1 and 2, and given that I have the same thing going on on PS1 along with my hand-made four-disc soundtracks for all four games, I may be too crazy to actually comment on this development objectively.

End of Spoiler

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Sat 22 Sep 14:27]

karasu99
1000th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(5):Mega CD arrivals on the app store" , posted Sat 22 Sep 09:52post reply

quote:
Mega CD, Lunar, Working Designs, other things I love You called? who has awakened me from my deep slumber

Vay is the weirdest thing ever to appear on an iphone, all the more so given that the insane people who went dumpster-diving for ancient titles decided to go the extra mile by putting in grossly out of place sprites, the crummy kind so common in low-tier downloadable games. I mean, the original is certainly creaky, but at least it has graphical consistency! I'd call the new model on the sad sad iOS version "lipstick on a pig" but I think that gets it in reverse and defames the wholly competent original...I think they put pig on some nice lipstick.

...all of which is why I wouldn't trust these amateur hour guys to handle a Silver Star Story port. But then, the Americans will happy given that the new translation won't be as bad as XSeed's "improved" work on the PSP port.

Fufufufufufu, I was certain that the summoning would be successful!

I was more interested to see it given the fact that they chose, you know, VAY, not exactly the best know game by any definition. Plus, I've always been madly in love with Vay's logo, one of the great title page designs of its time.

As for Lunar, yeah, I hadn't really considered buying it, given that I have both the Sega CD and the PS1 versions. But it's always possible that some lunatic company has spared no expense in adapting the game to a newer platform, to wonderful effect. Or not, as seems to be the case here! You'd think that someone would realize the kind of money they could make by snapping up lapsed licensing on games like Vay and giving them loving, careful translations and adaptations to mobile platforms.

www.secret-arts.com