Street Fighter II & You - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3121 Views )

chazumaru
876th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Street Fighter II & You" , posted Mon 11 Jun 21:16post reply

I tried starting this conversation elsewhere yesterday but the only result was boring assfats whining about how old they are... I think the topic suits MMC better.

Twenty years ago, give or take, shops worldwide received imported copies of Street Fighter II on Super Famicom. I am curious about how MMC experienced it. I assume most of the US crowd waited for the official US release but what about the others? Any memories to share?

無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は

Replies:

karasu99
950th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris
Wii: n/a

"Re(1):Street Fighter II & You" , posted Tue 12 Jun 01:05post reply

quote:
I tried starting this conversation elsewhere yesterday but the only result was boring assfats whining about how old they are... I think the topic suits MMC better.

Twenty years ago, give or take, shops worldwide received imported copies of Street Fighter II on Super Famicom. I am curious about how MMC experienced it. I assume most of the US crowd waited for the official US release but what about the others? Any memories to share?

I can certainly recall considering buying it, although I never saw it in stores-- I don't remember seeing import Super Fami games in any US retail stores ever, at least not while the system was still being sold. At the time, my sole source for imports was this place called Dragon Games, out of New York, who I had heard about through a newsgroup (probably some subgroup of rec. games.video, but I can't remember which), but who I had to call and give my credit card info to over the phone. Their prices were really high-- I think somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 not including shipping or the crazy cost of making a long distance call over a land line at the time, and in the days before online shopping (and web sites, for that matter), it was all just a ridiculous affair of calling, asking after a specific title, and paying whatever price they told you over the phone if you wanted the game. The only games I specifically remember buying were Ranma 1/2 Hard Battle and Super Battle, since it seemed really unlikely they would ever make it to the US.

I think my main reason for passing on import SFII was price and difficulty ordering when viewed against the certainty of its release in the US not long after its Japan release (I want to say it was just a few weeks' time). I think I pretty much decided to wait on any title that seemed likely to be released that I was interested in. SNES games were already expensive and the completely sketchy way of obtaining them put me off of buying them for the most part.

I didn't start buying imports with any seriousness until the middle of the Saturn's lifespan, when a lot of amazing games were being promoted in US magazines and somehow were not getting domestic releases. By that time I had more disposable income and internet import storefronts were more common, so I even got a few games like SOTN on their Japanese release rather than wait for their US version. But that's a whole other topic!

www.secret-arts.com

Baines
321th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):Street Fighter II & You" , posted Tue 12 Jun 03:00post reply

quote:
Twenty years ago, give or take, shops worldwide received imported copies of Street Fighter II on Super Famicom.

I never even knew about it. I knew about things like the Dragonball Z games that never made it to America, but didn't start messing with imports until the PS1 era.

The first thing I remember about the SNES version of SFII was only partly about SFII itself. It was annoyance. First, Capcom was releasing vanilla SFII when arcades had already moved on to later versions. Then it was the system-bouncing "We'll milk this thing to death" "exclusive" releases, where the SNES saw vanilla and Turbo, while the Genesis saw Special Championship (or whatever it was). Then the final annoyance that they never released SSF2T, instead stopping with SSF2.

The second memory is that I and my friends spent quite a lot of time playing those various home ports.

Gojira
2854th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
Wii: 80085

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Street Fighter II & You" , posted Tue 12 Jun 05:09post reply

I waited for the US version of SF2. I actually wasn't familiar with importing just yet as all of my VG knowledge came from [my free subscription to] Nintendo Power back then. I didn't even know the game had already been released at the time. I definitely didn't see any Super Famicom games at my local vidyagame store, and looking back I doubt any of them actually knew what a Super Famicom was anyway.

Of course, later I started reading more generalized (and less Nintendo-controlled) publications, and when I saw the (second) Ranma 1/2 fighting game I decided I really wanted it and looked into importing. Turns out it was much easier than I expected, though in my area there was no choice but to mail order them.

Amakusa
917th Post

"Re(2):Street Fighter II & You" , posted Tue 12 Jun 05:57post reply

quote:

Of course, later I started reading more generalized (and less Nintendo-controlled) publications, and when I saw the (second) Ranma 1/2 fighting game I decided I really wanted it and looked into importing. Turns out it was much easier than I expected, though in my area there was no choice but to mail order them.

Fond memories of filing off the tabs so the SFC cartridge fit....

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

jUAN
4561th Post

PSN: Buttermonster
XBL: Prepaidpenguin
Wii: rofl

"Re(1):Street Fighter II & You" , posted Tue 12 Jun 07:05post reply

quote:
boring assfats whining

My first experience importing games in general came from the peddlers in downtown selling bootleg games. When street fighter 2 was released for super famicom they started selling bootleg copies of it along with MASTER FIGHTER for the nes.

Regular stores at the time mainly brought stuff from the US when it came to legit games. A few years later some specialized comic and game shops appeared and brought some Japanese games at exorbitant prices. Ranma, Dragon Ball stuff and whatnot.

Pollyanna
3243th Post

PSN: Lilly_Dopamine
XBL: n/a

"Re(2):Street Fighter II & You" , posted Tue 12 Jun 21:05post reply

quote:
The only games I specifically remember buying were Ranma 1/2 Hard Battle and Super Battle, since it seemed really unlikely they would ever make it to the US.

I think Hard Battle was my first import.

I actually wasn't that jazzed about the SFII home port, because I could walk down the street and play it whenever I wanted. At that time, I was way more into Neo-Geo games. I don't think I really got into SFII until Super Turbo. Even then, I didn't play it as much as SNK games or the Vampire series.

If I had been a little older or more competitive, it might've been different.

quote:
Fond memories of filing off the tabs so the SFC cartridge fit....

Yes! I did that too! Well, with a drill. If only I could do the same to 3DS games.

All of my imports since forever ago were either ordered or purchased in Japan. I think the only exception was Dominated Mind. I was so young (and shy!) when I started importing games that my parents would have to call the companies for me. I'd do cartwheels in excitement while they did. I'm still pretty excitable when I get a new game.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Spoon
2322th Post

"Re(3):Street Fighter II & You" , posted Wed 13 Jun 03:24post reply

I mostly always played it in arcades, but whenever I got to see/hear/play the SNES/SFC version at malls, I always thought the console had either completely different or super enhanced audio.

I thought that because the arcades were so noisy only the grunts, HADOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKEN and SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORYUKEN sounds were actually audible; the music was totally lost to me in that environment.

nobinobita
1074th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):Street Fighter II & You" , posted Wed 13 Jun 05:22:post reply

quote:
I assume most of the US crowd waited for the official US release but what about the others? Any memories to share?

My first memory of Street Fighter AT HOME!

Picked up the game from Babbages (sorry didn't import it!) using funds my older brothers had saved up from mowing lawns. Rushed home and put the cart in the system, palms sweating.

My two older brothers played the first match. Of course it was Ken vs Ryu. It was a thrilling back and fourth struggle. Ken took the first round. Ryu took the second. The third round came down to both fighters with a pixel of health. With just a few seconds ticking on the clock, 2 dragon punches were fired off at the exact same time resulting in a DOUBLE KO!

That was one of the most thrilling moments of my life.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Wed 13 Jun 05:23]

Grave
1461th Post

PSN: Drakee
XBL: Mikelson

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):Street Fighter II & You" , posted Wed 13 Jun 06:18post reply

Ha! My SNES SF2 story is a great memory. I feel like a lot of y'all are a bit older than me, cuz I certainly wasn't making any purchasing decisions of my own back then let alone importing games. Still, I had played the game in arcades and really liked it. In the general timeframe of its release, I had happened to fall very ill. Extremely high fever to the point where I was hallucinating and scaring the crap out of my parents. I don't remember a lot of it very clearly, but in the midst of it I apparently asked my dad if I could get SF2 when I felt better. Sure enough, when I was coming out of it he came home with it one day! All troubles and pain were immediately forgotten. That is, until I got to Dictator at home for the first time...

But when the imports did start coming...! I remember yanking the tabs out of my SNES with pliers. And using a crappy converter to play them elsewhere! Good times!
quote:
I was so young (and shy!) when I started importing games that my parents would have to call the companies for me. I'd do cartwheels in excitement while they did. I'm still pretty excitable when I get a new game.

Ha, me too! Was the most ridiculously shy child, especially when it came to trying to do anything on the phone. I remember coaching my mother on what to say when she called Die Hard/Game Cave, NCS or when we went to Cyberzone in IL. When I got Seiken Densetsu 3 I was pretty much the happiest a kid could be.

I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing, but I'm probably gonna feel the exact same way when I can get an English copy of PS3 Aquanaut's Holiday for a good price...

Ishmael
4398th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b

"Re(3):Street Fighter II & You" , posted Wed 13 Jun 12:15post reply

It's funny, I remember the first time I saw a SF2 arcade game but I don't remember buying the cartridge. I even specifically bought a SNES when it was announced that SF2 was going to be released for that system. It's odd that I don't remember getting the game itself since I was so excited about the idea of being able to play SF2 in the middle of the night while sitting around in a bathrobe. I dreamt big in those days.

I do, however, remember that while I did know that the concept of importing games existed at that time I didn't get in on it until the next generation. My Saturn has more import titles than domestic releases. The Saturn also holds the distinction of being the first time I had more than one game console up and running at the same time. I felt like I had crossed some sort of line with that act and there was no going back.

nobinobita
1075th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(3):Street Fighter II & You" , posted Wed 13 Jun 13:21:post reply

quote:
I was so young (and shy!) when I started importing games that my parents would have to call the companies for me. I'd do cartwheels in excitement while they did. I'm still pretty excitable when I get a new game.

quote:
Ha, me too! Was the most ridiculously shy child, especially when it came to trying to do anything on the phone. I remember coaching my mother on what to say when she called Die Hard/Game Cave, NCS or when we went to Cyberzone in IL.

These stories are adorable!

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Wed 13 Jun 13:32]

Just a Person
1521th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(4):Street Fighter II & You" , posted Fri 15 Jun 04:47post reply

My father is the one who bought the game, actually (the Champion Edition version; I don't think it was officially released in my country, but some shops brought this game here), about one year (probably more) after it was released. My memories about it are not about the purchase, but about playing it. A lot. In fact, my whole family played it and enjoyed it (although my mother preferred Super Mario World). My father was quite good with Zangief (although even he couldn't explain how).

I did import Super SFII, though. Loved it too, although in my opinion Chun-Li's voice was much better in the SFII version (the Super one was really annoying). Too bad one day I lent it to a friend of mine... and he lost it! At least it only happened some years after I got the game (and played it a lot).

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

Badoor
276th Post

PSN: BadoorSNK
XBL: BadoorSNK
Wii: PSVITA:BadoorUSA

Copper Customer

"Re(5):Street Fighter II & You" , posted Mon 18 Jun 02:13post reply

I was too young to remember much but at the time I never played SF2 in the arcades nor read any sort of magazines to be "hyped" up about it let alone know it exists.

But my first experiance playing SF2 was on a bootleg floppy-disk copy on the commodore amiga with my older brothers trying to beat it by spamming Blanka's electricity attack. Dhalsim was also another favorite. Both were the easiest characters to abuse on a keyboard. It was pretty amazing, especially when the closest thing to compare with from previous experaince was Yie Ar Kung Fu on a 100-in-1 Famiclone or the MSX, which was regionally localized here. 

After a while, I finally managed to buy a SNES with SMW and Super Turrican, then shortly after I bought SF2 and then many of its subsequent releases and other fighters. 

shin ramberk
411th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Street Fighter II & You" , posted Tue 19 Jun 08:23post reply

What a beautiful topic. :)

My first experience playing SF2 probably was at the flee market in the next town. The flee market was split into an indoor area and outdoor area. The arcade was of course in the indoor area. I was a pre-teen then so I had no idea what I was doing. But it was a lot of fun.

Later on my friends got the game for their SNES systems and I got to play it on occasion when I went to their homes. I think it was at this point that I started to understand some of the finer points of the game.

It was a tremendous time to be a gamer. I never owned an SNES or Genesis. By the time I was 17 I bought a used Saturn for SFA2. I only had it for a short amount of time because my nephew knocked over the console and broke it. Regardless of that, I loved that machine and that game. The memory that stands out the most to me is playing SFA2 and XvSF during my lunch break in the summer of '96 at the local Roundtable Pizza. I had a summer job washing school buses back then and I would rush over for a few games before going back to work!

I loved everything about SFA2 back then.

http://ramberk.blogspot.com

Toxico
5655th Post

PSN: Toxic-Baron

"Re(2):Street Fighter II & You" , posted Tue 19 Jun 14:00post reply

I actually have no fond memories of any SF port, within my own group the games were pretty hard to get a hold of, the only choice was renting them and the game was pretty much always "already taken".

I also played the arcade very little at first, since the credit for it was roughly worth 3 times the credit for the other machines. All of that just to get you handcuffed by Guile, meh.

I actually played this more than the SNES version.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ
Update 24 as of 03/04/12. // 104 personajes traducidos

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 24 as of 15/06/12

Nekros
468th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Street Fighter II & You" , posted Tue 19 Jun 17:27post reply

I have fond memories around Street Fighter games in general. With II, I can say I used to watch other players at the arcade because I sucked at play and didn't want to waste coins. When I was in middle school usually swap games with other boys from my class and other classes as well. During one of this "renting" I gave a boy TMNT Tournament Fighters for MD and in exchange he gave me SFII CE. I was really amazed by the fact I could actually play THAT game and learn to play it. With friends, we spent a lot of afternoons learning every character (same with Vampire Hunter/Savior and Soul Blade years later), I miss to have such amount of free time.
Never touched the Snes version until I got Turbo for Super Famicom. There's a Videogame Shop in my city (the same where I bought games today) that at the time had a very cool "used games policy": you bring your used game and if you pay about 10 actual Euros you could get a used game from the others players' deposit. It was very clever and fine, I got gems such SFII Turbo, Soul Blader, Bare Knuckle 3 in that way.

TheRedKnight
358th Post

PSN: yes
XBL: no
Wii: no

Silver Customer

"Re(4):Street Fighter II & You" , posted Tue 19 Jun 18:35post reply

I didn't get a chance to experience SF2 until I bought SSF2 for the PAL Mega Drive and played it with a 3 button pad. I was excited to finally be able to play SF2, as I hadn't even played it in the arcades, but I can't say I knew how to play fighting games back then as a kid. My first import title was X-Men 2: The Clone Wars for the Genesis, but that doesn't really count.

SSF2X is and forever will be my favourite game ever.

Waw!? And now what's going on!? Toh Shin Den is about to present to you a super hot virtual battle like one that you've never seen before at a rate of 90000 polygons per second!

Loona
589th Post

PSN: IkariLoona

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Street Fighter II & You" , posted Tue 19 Jun 19:31post reply

Back in the early SF2 days there wasn't enough of a video game market around here to justify imports, but I can't say my initial contacts with the game didn't have some impact, and they did sort of touch on the import issue in an odd way.

The first time I saw the game was as this arcade near a small restaurant where my dad sometimes took me for lunch at during my vacations, and earlier in that Summer I'd been with my relatives near the border with Spain, where it was possiblee to watch spanish TV, and I got my first taste of Dragon Ball. So after having my young mind blown by some biref exposure to some remarkable episodes (Goku's last fight with Picollo as a kid, that topped anything I'd seen to date), I saw this game where people where shooting blue energy balls using the same stance Goku used for his energy beam attack, and I was intigued and try to watch as much as I could while I wasa there.

However, I was 12 at the time, and over here you're not supposed to play arcade games unless you're 17 or older, probably due to some confusion with gambling machines that never got properly sorted out, so I couldn't play, but the game was still pretty fascinating. I managed to get my hands on some video game magazines that covered the game to try and learn as much as I could, but there still wasn't much I could do, since I had a Megadrive, not a SNES, so it was still a long wait to get the game, so I was left to some theory-fighting of my own to try and see whom I'd use, settling for Dhalsim since his range seemed good, he had a projectile, and the effect when that hit someone looked awesome to me at the time.

I did get a shot at playing the arcade game in the mini-arcade of a movie theater in this huge mall where they apparently got away with turning a blind to that annoying age-17-to-play law, and although I didn't advance much, it was still nice.
It was, however, invariably an incomplete experience, as no arcade used more than 3 attack buttons for the game - you'd get one of the weakest attacks and the 2 strongest ones, no more, so a lot of attacks were out of reach and comboes weren't really an option. I wouldn't access a 6-button cabinet until many years later, for XvSF and SFEX2.

While SF2 wasn't available for the Megadrive, I got my kicks from other games in that - most memorably Fatal Fury, which some friends I way ended up playing in degenerate "slide wars": basically 2 of us would pick the a character with a slide kick attack (Joe, Duck or Geese), but usually picking the same one, crouch and just mash the kick button to see who'd land more slide attacks into victory. Geese was always the superior choice for this and it's a bit sad that no other version of him ever had such attack again for old times' sake.

The thing about my Megadrive, despite the general lack of an import scene around here, was that it was actually japanese, despite european ones being readily available in a lot of places. Some distributor managed to import those and sell them on a major surface, where my parents got me mine. The differences seemed minor back then - mine had a red area in the surface while it was usually white in the european standard, the logo in the box was a bit different, the cover art for games was different, and the manuals were far more vividly illustrated.
However, eventually the issue of compatibility started to rear its ugly head- while some games would get things like title screens and names changed, some wouldn't work at all.

Eventually, I got word that a nearby games shop was getting the game when it was finally announced for the megadrive, and I reserved a copy, counting on money I'd usually get for christmas, IIRC. My dad wasn't really fond of that and he gave me a stern lecture on debt or at least trying to buy stuff with money you don't have yet - it's been too long for the words to remain, but the spirit of that talk still remains. I understood his point of view but was still pretty sad about going through that, and found myself wondering if it was worth it for a game with Balrog in it - for some reason, when I have issues with the game I always remember its characters I like the least.

Still, when Christmas came, I guess my dad understood that the lesson sunk in, because I got the game as a present, and with it the downpayment I put in for my reservation, and I was terribly excited and couldn't wait to try the game.

However, it wouldn't work on my japanese Megadrive.

I felt like choking its damn importer that got it in a highly visible major surface with my bare hands.

I managed to play it at friends' places a few times since then, got the best controller ever, the 6-button for the Megadrive, and later down the line managed to get an Action Replay, and later still saw in a magazine a code for that that would solve the compatibility (along with a few other codes for things like invencibility, which would allow me to get full perfects to the end and see the "You have mastered Ken" message, and nice touches like always setting the opponent on fire).

Over the years the Action Replay seems to have degenerated a bit, since at some point the code stopped working, so I lost access to the game again, but it was still a good and fun run while it lasted.

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

sibarraz
442th Post

PSN: DefensorVirtuoso

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Street Fighter II & You" , posted Wed 20 Jun 04:05post reply

It's quite interesting your story about not being able to play the game for lots of oddly reasons (arcade laws, compatibility issues, etc)

And lol, you were argubly the founding father of divekick with the slide kick game. One minor gripe though as far as I recall, Geese never had a slide kick, the third character with that move in special was lawrence blood

Anyway, about Street Fighter, I recall that as a kid I never understood fighting games, my brother bought mortal kombat but I never knew how to do powers unless I was mashing them, the same with SF 2 that a friend had in his house, even though looked cool

A little more big, I was in a resort which had an arcade, and there was SF II New Challengers, and with 14 years old I couldn't pull a hadoken unless I was mashing it (I didnt know the command) oddly enough I enjoyed MVC in simple mode, then I played from kaillera with a friend who doesn't play this game anymore and the rest is history

I wish to had enjoyed the genre as a kid, but well, things happen for something I guess

Loona
590th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):Street Fighter II & You" , posted Wed 20 Jun 20:35post reply

quote:
And lol, you were argubly the founding father of divekick with the slide kick game. One minor gripe though as far as I recall, Geese never had a slide kick, the third character with that move in special was lawrence blood

Nope, it was Fatal Fury 1 - Geese was playable in the Megadrive version in 2-player mode, which made up for the absence of Billy and Hwa Jai. IIRC his slide attack basically recycled his jump kick frames and had amazing reach.

sibarraz
444th Post

PSN: DefensorVirtuoso

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Street Fighter II & You" , posted Thu 21 Jun 08:42post reply

quote:

Nope, it was Fatal Fury 1 - Geese was playable in the Megadrive version in 2-player mode, which made up for the absence of Billy and Hwa Jai. IIRC his slide attack basically recycled his jump kick frames and had amazing reach.

Oh sorry, I always forget that the console version had the rest of the chars playable, and never knew that geese had a sort of slidekick

Wasn't he a very secret character?

Loona
592th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(5):Street Fighter II & You" , posted Thu 21 Jun 22:38post reply

quote:
Oh sorry, I always forget that the console version had the rest of the chars playable, and never knew that geese had a sort of slidekick

Wasn't he a very secret character?

He wasn't hard to access there - it's been a long time, so I'm not sure if back then I saw the trick to do it in a magazine or if it was in the actual manual. Never managed to use his counters, but i think he still had them, probably something like Back + Throw button.