red falcon
6102th Post

user profileedit/delete message

PSN: Rugalbgood
XBL: RugalBGood
Wii: Doesitmatter?

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"SKULLGIRLS" , posted Fri 4 May 08:14:post reply

Anyone play on Live or PS3? Heh heh, just curious to see if anyone is up for some games!

Edit: Also, totally unrelated, but boy, this is nostalgic for me!

[this message was edited by red falcon on Fri 4 May 08:18]

Replies:

karasu99
920th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris
Wii: n/a

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):SKULLGIRLS" , posted Fri 4 May 08:45post reply

quote:
Anyone play on Live or PS3? Heh heh, just curious to see if anyone is up for some games!

Fantastic! You make it look easy, which I know it's not. I have very specific memories of that game at a then-local 7-11 from right around the time the Neo Geo was new. Thanks for sharing!

I'm on PSN with Skullgirls, but it feels like I hardly ever have time to play it. Feel free to hit me up for a match or two though.

www.secret-arts.com

Maou
2347th Post

"Re(1):SKULLGIRLS" , posted Fri 4 May 11:38:post reply

quote:

I'm hanging out with a college friend this weekend who happens to work at Capcom, with a roommate from Capcom, and I owe him 15 bucks=approximately the price of Skull Girls, so even if it turns out I suck, between all the fighting gamers in one place, someone in that apartment should maybe keep you entertained! Let's see if/when I make it over there!

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Fri 4 May 12:24]

red falcon
6103th Post

"Re(2):SKULLGIRLS" , posted Sat 5 May 04:54post reply

quote:

I'm hanging out with a college friend this weekend who happens to work at Capcom, with a roommate from Capcom, and I owe him 15 bucks=approximately the price of Skull Girls, so even if it turns out I suck, between all the fighting gamers in one place, someone in that apartment should maybe keep you entertained! Let's see if/when I make it over there!

Great! You can see my live ID (and PS3 ID) over there (<) so shoot me a message!

Iggy
9332th Post

"Re(1):SKULLGIRLS" , posted Sat 5 May 06:16post reply

I barely started (with the game being released later in the EU, and life in general) but I'm extremely surprised by the quality of a game that looked like a bad fanmade game six month ago.
The feeling of the game is just spot-on, the characters I've played with feel very rich and varied, the setting is neat, and the animation remind me of Vampire. I hope the game gets updated to evolve in something even better, because everything that's finished in this game is far above any of my expectations.

I've been told the non-English versions of the game are Google-Translate level of gibberish, though. That's not nice for... the three guys interested by that game who have their console in French.

Loona
558th Post

PSN: IkariLoona
XBL: n/a

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):SKULLGIRLS" , posted Sun 6 May 09:51post reply

Tried the trial today. Found it a bit odd that the training and arcade mode don't let you use a single character but let you use 3, even if only 2 characters are available for play in those modes, that was weird.

Also odd was that the tutorial section on off-the-ground hits gave as an example something starting with an air combo when a sweep would work just fine. It's understandable that they might not make all tutorial lessons available, but at least keeping the "chapter 1" section unlocked for the trial would make sense, instead only 1 of each level of difficulty is.

Speaking of trials, one of them makes you use Parasoul, I guess that can be used to test the rest of her, since training only lets you try Cerebella and Fillia. A missed opportunity, really, since design-wise Parasoul is the closest I can think of to a "normal" "main" character in the cast, if you pay little attention to the guards in her specials - would make some sense plot-wise too, I guess, even if Story mode's disabled in the trial - at least more so that girl with weird stuff on their heads.

Then again, this game is mostly aimed at experienced players already familiar with most of the concepts there, but this might be where the game shoots itself in the foot in the long run - basing itself so heavily on Capcom game concepts (6-buttons, air combos, etc...), it makes it very easy for most of its good ideas to be later used in sequel to those games, keeping very few original things for itself, like Ms Fortune's head separation shennanigans or Valentine's alternate projectile serynge effects.

The whole thing about 360 motions not making you jump comes to mind - instead of questioning the reason for the motion or coming up with an alternate motion, they have it just like SF did with 1 layer of annoyance removed - it would be handy in those games, but a new one had the liberty to break free from that but didn't. Then again, I don't use grapplers much, so what do I know...

I do like some of the sense of identity the game has managed to build though - the whole "showbiz of the 30s/40s" works nicely, and I do love the intro music and its haunting yet action-packed feel.

Not really my cup of tea, but there's much to like - it just won't get my money as long as an in-game movelist is imlpemented. Might add it to my wanted list when it's on Steam, now that I think about it...

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Baines
320th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):SKULLGIRLS" , posted Sun 6 May 16:15post reply

quote:
Tried the trial today. Found it a bit odd that the training and arcade mode don't let you use a single character but let you use 3, even if only 2 characters are available for play in those modes, that was weird.

I found the demo unimpressive, after trying a versus match in it. The game itself might be good, but the demo didn't sell it for me.

Bluntly, I don't think the demo was planned very well. I think the demo risks turning off some more casual fans who might have picked up the title if it had been better presented.

badoor
270th Post

PSN: BadoorSNK
XBL: BadoorSNK
Wii: PSVITA:BadoorUSA

Copper Customer

"Re(3):SKULLGIRLS" , posted Mon 7 May 04:42post reply

Soon with PC/PS3 cross-platform play...possibly

Maou
2349th Post

"Re(1):SKULLGIRLS" , posted Mon 7 May 08:47:post reply

quote:
Red Falcon's challenge

Our crew went ahead and got it this weekend---it's quite fun! I mostly like the spooky-sexy-weird aesthetic it's going on and I'm impressed at how much it feels like a major studio game. They need the movelist ASAP (come on now), and I'd love to see backgrounds that are as gorgeous as the character animation (maybe they'll get a big studio and budget for next game) together with a slightly larger roster, but it's still pretty impressive and brimming with personality. The unusual character types and motions are an interesting challenge to learn---roundhouse kicks that don't look like "kicks," judging ranges of non-conventional regular attacks...

Rugal, we're still figuring the game out (i.e. are pretty bad) and need more work until we can challenge the Cafe's Final Boss, so to speak, but one of these days I may come looking for a match!

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Mon 7 May 10:32]

kofoguz
984th Post

"Re(2):SKULLGIRLS" , posted Mon 7 May 12:32post reply

quote:
Red Falcon's challenge
Our crew went ahead and got it this weekend---it's quite fun! I mostly like the spooky-sexy-weird aesthetic it's going on and I'm impressed at how much it feels like a major studio game. They need the movelist ASAP (come on now)....

Call me P a ranaoi d, but I always thought this game as a studio game in disguise of a fanmade indie game. Trying to keep it small but also trying get a respond from FGC by heavy advertising. This way they can make a place in FGC, split the game pieces with DLC without getting the same reaction Capcom got. Plus small investment. Bigger profit.
Just like this; He might be crazy but he's gotta point. So it's six in the morning here and I'm in a insomnia so what do I know.
Anyway since skullgirls is a succeeded project (it is right?) I'm sure in no time they will find a studio to get behind them. (absolutely no pun intended)

Loona
559th Post

PSN: IkariLoona
XBL: n/a

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):SKULLGIRLS" , posted Mon 7 May 20:19post reply

quote:
Call me P a ranaoi d, but I always thought this game as a studio game in disguise of a fanmade indie game. Trying to keep it small but also trying get a respond from FGC by heavy advertising. This way they can make a place in FGC, split the game pieces with DLC without getting the same reaction Capcom got. Plus small investment. Bigger profit.

I wouldn't call it heavily advertised - I doubt most people who don't keep up with FG news are even aware it exists. It was, however, heavily pushed in the FGC with the "from our guys to our guys" angle with a lot of references to respected people in it, making it very hard to criticize by association, outside the aesthetics, since Alex Ahad wasn't as much of a recognizeable figure as Mize Z.

Sadly, this has extended to the gameplay design, which sticks to the Capcom FG comfort zone with little to no deviation - but I guess that could derive from the early days of its conception when it seemed there would never be a SF4...

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

red falcon
6105th Post

"Re(2):SKULLGIRLS" , posted Mon 7 May 22:03:post reply

quote:

Rugal, we're still figuring the game out (i.e. are pretty bad) and need more work until we can challenge the Cafe's Final Boss, so to speak, but one of these days I may come looking for a match!

Well, I'll play anything else too. If you want to do some AE or (ugh) SF X Tekken, or BB, or... well, whatever. Ha ha ha ha.

Edit: And yeah, I'd agree and say outside of the community it was barely advertised at all. It had a little more advertisement on the PS3 than on 360, where if you didn't know the day it came out... well, there was literally no acknowledgement at all on Live, ha ha.

[this message was edited by red falcon on Mon 7 May 22:31]

kofoguz
985th Post

"Re(4):SKULLGIRLS" , posted Mon 7 May 23:24post reply

quote:

I wouldn't call it heavily advertised - I doubt most people who don't keep up with FG news are even aware it exists. It was, however, heavily pushed in the FGC with the "from our guys to our guys" angle with a lot of references to respected people in it, making it very hard to criticize by association, outside the aesthetics, since Alex Ahad wasn't as much of a recognizeable figure as Mize Z.

Sadly, this has extended to the gameplay design, which sticks to the Capcom FG comfort zone with little to no deviation - but I guess that could derive from the early days of its conception when it seemed there would never be a SF4...

I meant advertisement in FGC. Genre is niche as it is. I think the hyping campaign was succesful that game confirmed for tournaments without even released.
Out of FGC, unfortunately no other game would have the feeling of second coming of SFII popularity.

In a non-sleepy head let me explain myself a little more but take it as a mere speculation cause I really dont know who are behind this game.If this was a studio game I'm pretty sure the expectation would be much bigger. A studio made fighting game cant get away with eight characters. In disguise of indie may come in handy for lowering expectations.

Dont get me wrong I'm not claiming I'm just saying I always feel that way towards the game. Take this conspiracy theory with a grain of salt. No serious claim here.

On the other hand I absolutely loved the art style. Hoping for more fighters pop-up using the same style and other companies to adopt and experiment with the style. BUt I hope Darkstalkers 4 use a different style a unique one no SFIV,SfxT, MVC3, please something different.