Original message (9771 Views )

Professor
4723th Post

user profileedit/delete message

MMCafe Owner

"Random Thread, nongaming edition Vol.32" , posted Thu 8 Mar 14:09:post reply

Lupin the 3rd returning to the small screen in 27 years
Image Illustration

A new series featuring Mine Fujiko as the main character, titled "Lupin the 3rd: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna (The lady known as Mine Fujiko)" will begin airing in Japan starting April 4th. The Same cast as the latest 2 hour special will be doing the voices.

This new series will reportedly feature Lupin and the gang back when they were young and will have the more mature/adult atmosphere deriving from the original old manga. Directed by Sayo Yamamoto (Michiko to Hatchin), character designs by Takeshi Koike (Redline). Slated for one season, 13 episodes.

[this message was edited by Professor on Sun 10 Jan 22:32]

Replies:

Maou
2314th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"THOROUGHLY LUPANIC" , posted Thu 8 Mar 14:32:post reply

OUTSTANDING! After getting faked out by the splendid-looking earlier ad for the new Lupin III pachinko game (should've noticed the Heiwa banner), I'm so excited to see that Koike Takeshi isn't stuck slumming it up doing the art for pachinko anymore!

So excited by these genius designs in the spirit of Monkey Punch. Hopefully the scripts will match. This is almost as thrilling as the early sexy-violent-funny episodes of the third television series, before they ran out of money and started outsourcing to random studios.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 8 Mar 14:35]

Ishmael
4333th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

"Re(1):THOROUGHLY LUPANIC" , posted Fri 9 Mar 00:33post reply

YES! This is very good news. I love that everybody looks lanky, weird and a bit mean. Hopefully a trailer will come out soon since I want to see this latest Lupin in motion. The decision to focus on Fujiko is also an interesting twist. I've always thought that of the five she was the one who needed better solo stories. Hopefully this will give her the chance to be more than just the sexy pest.

Maou
2317th Post

"Re(2):THOROUGHLY LUPANIC" , posted Fri 9 Mar 02:28:post reply

quote:
everybody looks lanky, weird and a bit mean.
I knew there was a reason that the Lupin gang resonates with me personally! And this is the best approximation of the original comic designs yet, even better than the tone-perfect Lupin vs. the Clone (Secret of Mamo).

[this message was edited by Maou on Fri 9 Mar 08:20]

KTallguy
1357th Post

PSN: Hunter-KT

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(3):THOROUGHLY LUPANIC" , posted Fri 9 Mar 04:55post reply

I'm kind of excited!

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

Ishmael
4334th Post

"Re(1):THOROUGHLY LUPANIC" , posted Sat 10 Mar 01:38post reply

quote:
This is almost as thrilling as the early sexy-violent-funny episodes of the third television series, before they ran out of money and started outsourcing to random studios.

Thanks to you mentioning it I rewatched a few episodes of the unfairly maligned third series last night. That run turned into a pastel nightmare by the end but those early episodes were better than a lot of people give them credit for.

In other unrelated news: Penguin Cam

sfried
757th Post

PSN: My3DSFriendCode
XBL: isdownbellow
Wii: 279306128909

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(2):THOROUGHLY LUPANIC" , posted Sat 10 Mar 02:29post reply

quote:
In other unrelated news: Penguin Cam

It's missing the Attenborough narration:

...And here, in the San Diego Sea World...

Toxico
5596th Post

PSN: Toxic-Baron

"Re(3):THOROUGHLY LUPANIC" , posted Thu 15 Mar 05:21post reply

The legendary man of the X face scar.....

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ
Update 24 as of 21/11/11 (Temporary mega upload link). // 104 personajes traducidos

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 23 as of 20/11/11

KTallguy
1363th Post

"Re(4):THOROUGHLY LUPANIC" , posted Thu 15 Mar 07:10post reply

quote:

This is pretty much exactly what will sell to millions of screaming girls in Japan.

Maou
2320th Post

"Re(4):THOROUGHLY KENSHINIC" , posted Thu 15 Mar 15:21post reply

quote:

Hmm, Kenshin in the present looks awfully young. His "oro" voice tic is somehow much more embarrassing with live actors than it was in the comic or the animation. I'm trying to even wrap my head around how they will manage to cram in the arcs with Udou Jin-e and Saitou Hajime into one mere movie, since the latter's appearance depended so much on Kenshin's dealings with the former. (And did I see Kanryuu's gattling gun? Couldn't've...)

Toxico
5599th Post

"Re(5):THOROUGHLY KENSHINIC" , posted Wed 21 Mar 04:05post reply

Teenage Mutant Ninja.... Aliens.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ
Update 24 as of 21/11/11 (Temporary mega upload link). // 104 personajes traducidos

nobinobita
1050th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(6):THOROUGHLY KENSHINIC" , posted Wed 21 Mar 09:47post reply

quote:
Teenage Mutant Ninja.... Aliens.

Raphael's reaction.

www.art-eater.com

Toxico
5600th Post

"Re(7):THOROUGHLY KENSHINIC" , posted Fri 23 Mar 23:45post reply

New Berserk Trailer...

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

Professor
3424th Post

MMCafe Owner

"THOROUGHLY LUPANIC TRAILER" , posted Tue 27 Mar 03:34:post reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om_UdToxqqE

Damn, it looks...good!
Like an effective mix of the 70's art style and the modern.

[this message was edited by Professor on Tue 27 Mar 03:36]

Ishmael
4348th Post

"Re(1):THOROUGHLY LUPANIC TRAILER" , posted Tue 27 Mar 23:24post reply

quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om_UdToxqqE

Damn, it looks...good!
Like an effective mix of the 70's art style and the modern.

That looks so great although I wasn't expecting such a dramatic change in the style of music. Then again, the peppy jazz that Yuji Ohno provided wouldn't be a good fit for Fujiko.

Maou
2324th Post

"Re(2):THOROUGHLY LUPANIC TRAILER" , posted Wed 28 Mar 15:39:post reply

How splendid! Koike Takeshi's Monkey Punch-style designs are just too top-notch. The actual animation is oddly intriguing in a Gankutsuou kind of way, though I really don't feel that great about Lupin without Ohno Yuuji. Objectively, the first Lupin TV series was one of the best, but I just can't get into it without peppy spy jazz.

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 28 Mar 15:40]

Nekros
427th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):THOROUGHLY LUPANIC TRAILER" , posted Thu 29 Mar 18:41post reply

quote:
The actual animation is oddly intriguing in a Gankutsuou kind of way

The first thing that crossed my mind, especially with those colors and shadows.

Toxico
5601th Post

"Re(4):THOROUGHLY LUPANIC TRAILER" , posted Sat 31 Mar 05:34post reply

Total Recall.... Well, not the one we would have liked to.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

karasu99
885th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(5):Google Maps, 8-bit edition" , posted Sun 1 Apr 02:36post reply

Pretty cool!

www.secret-arts.com

nobinobita
1053th Post

"Re(6):Google Maps, 8-bit edition" , posted Sun 1 Apr 03:23:post reply

quote:
Pretty cool!

This is by far and away the coolest April Fool's joke ever. Actually, it's not even a joke. It works so beautifully.

I wonder what the story is behind it! I mean, they definitely collaborated with Nintendo and Enix in the promo video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rznYifPHxDg&feature=player_embedded

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Sun 1 Apr 03:25]

Ishmael
4353th Post

"Re(7):Google Maps, 8-bit edition" , posted Sun 1 Apr 08:54post reply

quote:
Pretty cool!

This is by far and away the coolest April Fool's joke ever. Actually, it's not even a joke. It works so beautifully.

I wonder what the story is behind it! I mean, they definitely collaborated with Nintendo and Enix in the promo video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rznYifPHxDg&feature=player_embedded

Blowing into the cartridge is what really sells it.

Professor
3428th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(8):Google Maps, 8-bit edition" , posted Sun 1 Apr 12:56post reply

Cow getting abducted by an Alien at Area 51, a Slime in the middle of Tokyo... this is pure awesomeness. Will repost this in the April fools thread.

Loona
546th Post

PSN: IkariLoona

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(9):Google Maps, 8-bit edition" , posted Wed 4 Apr 23:57post reply

Speaking of aliens...

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

karasu99
913th Post

"Pseudo-nongaming edition" , posted Tue 24 Apr 04:50post reply

I'll resurrect this thread from the dead with fell conjurings: Hiroshi Matsuyama of CyberConnect2 drops out of Paris Marathon at 22km point. As a runner myself, I really feel for the guy-- the 22km mark is where all of the darker emotions begin to manifest. There's always next year!

www.secret-arts.com

sibarraz
399th Post

PSN: DefensorVirtuoso

Silver Customer

"Re(1):Pseudo-nongaming edition" , posted Tue 24 Apr 07:33post reply

quote:
Speaking of aliens...

I'm not even that big of a fan of Evangelion and I still will love to had one of those phones

quote:
I'll resurrect this thread from the dead with fell conjurings: Hiroshi Matsuyama of CyberConnect2 drops out of Paris Marathon at 22km point. As a runner myself, I really feel for the guy-- the 22km mark is where all of the darker emotions begin to manifest. There's always next year!

And about the marathon, that reminded the hunter test saga from hunter, for me the most scariest was the first one, since I know how much sucks to feel like the road never ends

Toxico
5623th Post

"...." , posted Fri 27 Apr 07:37post reply

Rurouni Kenshin chapter 0 scheduled for Weekly Shonen Jump in August... Milking the cow, was the saying?

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ
Update 24 as of 03/04/12. // 104 personajes traducidos

Maou
2348th Post

"Lupanic April" , posted Fri 4 May 15:37:post reply

The new Lupin series has been going for a month now and I realized we hadn't talked about it yet. I notice that it is apparently even going to stream in the US.

I only caught the first episode, which is...interesting. As we saw in the previews, it's sexy, violent, and in character with Monkey Punch's original. Koike Takeshi's designs are absolutely perfect, Fujiko's new actress is refreshing, and even in his brief appearance, Zenigata is staggeringly cool, just as he's supposed to be.

The other modern touches don't serve Lupin that well, though, I think. I'll sound like a dull traditionalist, but I think the debt Lupin owes to Ohno Yuuji's wonderful jazz is immeasurable, to the point that even the otherwise great first TV series still falls a bit flat in retrospect without him. The mod non-Ohno jazz here too is cacophonous, and the hideously unpleasant and lyrically overwrought opening, 新嵐が丘/New Wuthering Heights sort of puts a damper on the mood from the get-go. Speaking of overwrought, the dialogue is a bit much to qualify as good banter, though having episode 1 involve a cult might be partially to blame.

And despite Koike's designs being great, I'm not sure if they benefit from the Gankutsuou-style art nouveau thing which distracts from them; Lupin is better when more kinetic and less frou-frou in its visual presentation. Still, if this is a step towards getting a series done by Koike in the magnificent style of the recent pachiko-slot game, that would only be a good thing.

[this message was edited by Maou on Fri 4 May 15:41]

Ishmael
4378th Post

"Re(1):Lupanic April" , posted Sat 5 May 03:28post reply

So far I'm really digging the new Lupin series. The writing isn't going to win any awards but I'm curious to see how this current interpretation of Fujiko's motivations plays out in the later episodes. At the moment it's all a bit creaky but Lupin's never really been known for it's deep characterization. Until then I'm enjoying that the show is consciously trying to invoke the spirit of the early, feral Lupin episodes before they chickened out and quit making Fujiko so openly sexual. Even the shots of Fujiko riding a motorcycle at the end of the initial episode recalled the ending credits of the first series.

Maybe it's because Lupin has had more visual reinterpretations than any other anime character I can think of but I don't mind the Gankutsuou presentation the show is doing. It's a different change of pace and it also works well with the limited animation that Lupin often "enjoys." The opening feels like a perfume commercial that got out of control but I am enjoying the musical choices in the episodes. Then again, I would like it if Ornette Coleman had scored the show so my opinion should probably not be trusted.

Toxico
5628th Post

"Re(2):Lupanic April" , posted Sun 6 May 02:07post reply

Kinema version? (as in, cinema). It looks like a new "remake" manga by Watsuki telling the same events. I'm not smart to tell if that's supposed to be the chapter 0 that I spoke off recently.

Of course, my true goal for posting in this thread is to mention this, gyoh hyoh hyoh.

Oh, and don't think that because I don't have anything lupintistique to say, I'm not enjoying the new adaptation.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

Professor
3476th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Lupanic April" , posted Tue 8 May 18:13:post reply

The new Lupin series has been pretty good so far IMO. Back to old style aethetics with a fusion of the new. Zenigata having sex with Fujiko in his office was something that really showed that they're not pulling back any punches.

In relation to anime, I'm surprised that noone's mentioned this yet. Evangelion collaboration with Schick, you get to see Gendo shaven.But man, the Rey Ayanami limited edition box is almost as pricy as getting a real figure! Almost 5,600JPY.. well, it looks good but Hummmmmm....

[this message was edited by Professor on Tue 8 May 18:40]

Maou
2350th Post

"Not my pops" , posted Wed 9 May 01:42:post reply

quote:
The new Lupin series has been pretty good so far IMO. Back to old style aethetics with a fusion of the new.
I finally caught up with the other episodes. I like that it's hard-boiled, and the art continues to be pretty gorgeous, though by episode 5 in the pyramids I noticed some uneven facial shapes and had a terrible flashback of the third TV series' downward slide.

I was fine with Fujiko and Goemon, but I could not stand Zeni and Fujiko in episode 4. I get that they're trying to push away from the TV series' unfaithful image of him as a dope, but it's possible to do that without making him a cad (Dead or Alive, Clone, Cagliostro, Episode 0...all the great ones, in fact). Monkey Punch's Zenigata may have been more ruthless (I had no problem with him shooting at Lupin) but he never gave the impression of being abusive of his power. This scene's depiction is not "in character" by any standards, including Monkey's, and I don't think that it's compelling enough to stand on its own, either.

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 9 May 01:54]

Toxico
5630th Post

"Kono random thread, mamoritai." , posted Thu 10 May 10:24:post reply

I remember that in ages old Chaz was walking around town, picking up fresh off the grill (male) art students and asking around about the 守りたい、この笑顔 meme and if there it was an equivalent of know your meme or something... well, it's obviously besides the point now but there is a Niconico pedia and seems to have something about it.

Remember kids , I don't forget. I just drink it out so that I can't remember for a while.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

[this message was edited by Toxico on Thu 10 May 10:24]

Nekros
455th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Lupanic April" , posted Fri 11 May 21:08post reply

quote:
In relation to anime, I'm surprised that noone's mentioned this yet. Evangelion collaboration with Schick, you get to see Gendo shaven.But man, the Rey Ayanami limited edition box is almost as pricy as getting a real figure! Almost 5,600JPY.. well, it looks good but Hummmmmm....

I saw the commercial, and that remembers me how Evangelion marketing has nothing to do with the source material. But shaved Gendo is a must to see.
That Ayanami razor stand is cool and expensive but remind me too much of a product for dental care than for shaving.

Professor
3483th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):Lupanic April" , posted Wed 16 May 15:39post reply

Following Evo comes... Joe and JOJO!

Legend of Success Joe has never been this fattening

Limited edition JOJO Smartphone... URYYYYYY
You actually get to play that car game from Pt.III.

Toxico
5649th Post

"Re(5):Lupanic April" , posted Sun 3 Jun 16:18post reply

Something interesting : 1st , 2nd .

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

Spoon
2324th Post

"Re(6):Lupanic April" , posted Mon 25 Jun 14:16:post reply

As of today, the last remaining chapters of The Lady of Udon have been translated into english.

I may never look at udon the same way again.

[this message was edited by Spoon on Tue 26 Jun 02:27]

GekigangerV
1757th Post

PSN: gekijmo
XBL: gekijmo5

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Sengoku Basara live-action (with Gackt)" , posted Wed 4 Jul 11:40post reply

Link Here

Probably could have put this in the gaming random thread, but I associate this series with the Anime more.

Starts July 12th. I think I will download the first ep for nothing more than shits and giggles. I tried watching the first episode of the anime on Netflix and maybe it was the dub, but I couldn't get past the first 5 minutes.

shindekudasai
399th Post

Silver Customer

"Evangelion Q: 11-17-12" , posted Thu 5 Jul 23:28post reply

Teaser trailer up at Evageeks

Omedetou!

KTallguy
1400th Post

"Re(1):Evangelion Q: 11-17-12" , posted Fri 6 Jul 06:22:post reply

quote:
Teaser trailer up at Evageeks

Omedetou!

Fucking finally.

Edit: Looks pretty cool, although very difficult to tell what the hell is going on.

[this message was edited by KTallguy on Fri 6 Jul 06:25]

Loona
598th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Evangelion Q: 11-17-12" , posted Fri 6 Jul 20:07post reply

I'm so split about this EVA reneweal - terribly curious, but I the same time I kinda want to wait until all the movies are out to see them all in one go, I already go years waiting for the next chapters of things I like - one of them, curiously, being the Evangelion manga, but also applies to the likes of KoF and Gunnm.

Speaking of which, the new League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Century: 2009 is out!
Time to hit those Jess Nevins annotations for all the things I've missed (I'm kinda surprised I didn't spot a Shameless reference, although plenty of others made up for it well enough).

GekigangerV
1759th Post

"New Sailor Moon Anime in 2013" , posted Fri 6 Jul 22:15post reply

This is supposed to be the intro

http://www.moon-chase.com/2012/07/breaking-news-new-sailor-moon-anime-to-premiere-around-the-world-in-2013/

I wonder if this will be original content or if they will be more faithful to the manga.

I am kind of skeptical of this since I really have not liked the quality of animation in Anime for the last few years.

shindekudasai
400th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Evangelion Q: 11-17-12" , posted Fri 6 Jul 22:19post reply

quote:
I'm so split about this EVA reneweal - terribly curious, but I the same time I kinda want to wait until all the movies are out to see them all in one go, I already go years waiting for the next chapters of things I like - one of them, curiously, being the Evangelion manga, but also applies to the likes of KoF and Gunnm.

I know, right? Supposedly Sadamoto is taking a break from the manga as an animator for Q. I find it hillarious that the story that started with the anime in 1995 is only now poised to finish alongside its remake almost 20 years later! And Gunnm .... argh, when Gally came back with the wings I thought for sure, this is it, we've finally hit the climax - oh no, wait! More wacky space kung fu! At least Sechs' last fight scene was cool.

Iggy
9344th Post

"Re(4):Evangelion Q: 11-17-12" , posted Sat 7 Jul 00:56post reply

quote:
when Gally came back with the wings I thought for sure, this is it, we've finally hit the climax - oh no, wait! More wacky space kung fu!
To be fair, the angel resurrection thing was a clumsy attempt at commenting the Shueisha problem.
It was slightly heavy-handed.

Loona
599th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(5):Evangelion Q: 11-17-12" , posted Sat 7 Jul 03:35post reply

So, DBZ, Evangelion, Jojo and now SailorMoon returning... after 80's revivals, it's time for the 90's stuff... ok, as long as there's some new Ranma stuff to go along with it - oh wait, there was that live-action.

Also, Glénat hasn't published any new Gunnm stuff in about a year, though I'm almost sure at least one volume came out in english since then - this is what I get for wanting to keep my collection consistent despite the fact it started when you could only get manga in french over here... I'd feel kinda bad for relying on some site to read it after buying all these years, but then again, it's what I've been doing for Silver Spoon...

Nekros
470th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):Evangelion Q: 11-17-12" , posted Sun 8 Jul 19:25post reply

quote:
So, DBZ, Evangelion, Jojo and now SailorMoon returning... after 80's revivals, it's time for the 90's stuff...

Don't forget Trigun and Berserk!
Not a fan of many famous anime series (except, well... Evangelion and Hagaren!) so I missed the new announcements about those revivals stuff.
But DBZ? Is there anything new? I remember being a new manga, a new movie and the Kai TV series. Is that all or it will be another thing DBZ-related?

Iggy
9348th Post

"Re(6):Evangelion Q: 11-17-12" , posted Sun 8 Jul 23:20post reply

quote:
Also, Glénat hasn't published any new Gunnm stuff in about a year, though I'm almost sure at least one volume came out in english since then

Since Gunm changed publisher, Glénat probably have to sign another contract with another publisher, with whom they may or may not have preexisting contacts... This whole story was far too much drama for its own good.

Spoon
2339th Post

"Batman of Shanghai: Catwoman" , posted Mon 16 Jul 12:45post reply

more fights animated by these people please

I'm kind of surprised at how I thought, "Hey this reminds me of Kung Fu Cooking Girls somehow..." and lo and behold, it is by the same group of people!

http://wolfsmoke.blogspot.com/p/animations.html

Toxico
5669th Post

"Rockman's....." , posted Thu 19 Jul 05:49:post reply

Perfume? I guess Inafune is proud... That he left Capcom It could be awesome if it has a super weird smell, though!

Hunter x Hunter gets it's first anime film. I suppose Togashi is temporarily going to stop playing Dragon Quest for the sake of overseeing the movie?

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

Last update : Chapter 24 as of 15/06/12

[this message was edited by Toxico on Thu 19 Jul 14:12]

Toxico
5674th Post

"!?" , posted Thu 26 Jul 01:10post reply

Ninja scroll to get a 3 episode ova or something.

While I'm appalled that they are reviving yet another franchise, the fact that they act as if the TV series didn't exist made me smile.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

Toxico
5679th Post

"Re(1):!?" , posted Fri 27 Jul 07:19post reply

Sex doll saved from drowning. We already know how the debt is going to be repaid.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

Toxico
5684th Post

"IRON ROBOT KURATA" , posted Tue 31 Jul 03:00:post reply

Did you know that japanese enterprise actually build robots in secrecy?

Now we only need Sunrise to take up the license.

edit : Someone loves KoF XIII a little too much

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

[this message was edited by Toxico on Tue 31 Jul 03:09]

Ishmael
4428th Post

"Re(1):Batman of Shanghai: Catwoman" , posted Fri 10 Aug 04:20post reply

quote:

I'm kind of surprised at how I thought, "Hey this reminds me of Kung Fu Cooking Girls somehow..." and lo and behold, it is by the same group of people!

I hope they do more with the concept because I would certainly watch more of that.

It's one of those things that only I would find amusing, but I'm thrilled at the idea that Kaiyodo is making an action figure of Tawaraya Sotatsu's version of Fujin. Can Raijin be far behind?

Toxico
5698th Post

"Wryyyyyy" , posted Fri 17 Aug 11:19:post reply

Lead's character design . Perhaps Iggy might phrase my disappointment in a way that doesn't involve beating up random pedestrians.

Cast:
Jonathan: Kazuyuki Okitsu
Dio: Takehito Koyasu
Zeppelin: Yoku Shioya
Speedwagon: Youji Ueda
Erina: Ayako Kawasumi

Staff:
Director: Naokatsu Tsuda
Series Director: Kenichi Suzuki
Visual Director: Yasufumi Soejima
Series Composition: Yasuko Kobayashi
Character Design/Chief Animation Director: Takako Shimizu
Sub-character Design/Prop Design: Shinichi Machida
Art Director: Shunichiro Yoshihara
Music: Hayato Matsuo
Animation Production: David Production

http://i.imgur.com/ZWERu.jpg [Image Attached]

Koyasu seems un-fitting of Dio (for about as much as Modirikawa, ha!).... Well, he is also weird for Kenshiro, but we know how that went already.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

[this message was edited by Toxico on Sun 19 Aug 07:51]

Iggy
9367th Post

"Re(1):Wryyyyyy" , posted Sun 19 Aug 19:39post reply

quote:
Lead's character design . Perhaps Iggy might phrase my disappointment in a way that doesn't involve beating up random pedestrians.

I'd rather play the BanNam Phantom Blood game than watch this.

Toxico
5698th Post

"Re(2):Wryyyyyy" , posted Mon 20 Aug 00:57post reply

quote:

I'd rather play the BanNam Phantom Blood game than watch this.

Thinking back about it, that game would have been amazing with a wiimote.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

Iggy
9368th Post

"Re(3):Wryyyyyy" , posted Mon 20 Aug 02:01post reply

quote:
Thinking back about it, that game would have been amazing with a wiimote Kinect.

Toxico
5700th Post

"Re(4):Wryyyyyy" , posted Tue 21 Aug 15:12:post reply

watch this - Nico

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

[this message was edited by Toxico on Tue 21 Aug 16:01]

nobinobita
1087th Post

"Interview with creators of Batman of Shanghai" , posted Fri 7 Sep 10:05post reply

quote:

I hope they do more with the concept because I would certainly watch more of that.

I just posted an interview with Wolf Smoke Studio, the creators of Batman of Shanghai and Kung Fu Food Girls. As far as I know it's their first English language interview posted anywhere.

Enjoy!

http://art-eater.com/2012/09/wolf-smoke-studio-the-dynamic-duo-behind-batman-of-shanghai/

www.art-eater.com

chazumaru
915th Post

"Re(1):Interview with creators of Batman of Sh" , posted Fri 7 Sep 10:44post reply

Thanks! Very interesting. Of course they answered Street III.

マジカル学習と言ったら勉強♪勉強と言ったら学園♪学園と言ったらジャスティス♪ジャスティスと言ったら裁判♪裁判と言ったら逆転♪逆転と言ったらさよなら!♪さよならと言ったら淋しい♪淋しいと言ったらなみだ♪なみだと言ったらティッシュペーパー♪ティッシュペーパーと言ったらエロ漫画♪

nobinobita
1088th Post

"Re(2):Interview with creators of Batman of Sh" , posted Fri 7 Sep 10:51post reply

quote:

If you are an animator, that is the most correct answer!

www.art-eater.com

Professor
3577th Post

MMCafe Owner

"A la Cuisine!" , posted Sat 8 Sep 14:22post reply

quote:

If you are an animator, that is the most correct answer!

Nice Interview! Wow, Smoke is drawing directly with no pencil draft for your sketchbook, and he's quite quick at it too! Awesome!

On another note related to Food Girl, The Iron Chef is making a comeback. Talk about nostalgia.

Ishmael
4442th Post

"Re(1):A la Cuisine!" , posted Mon 10 Sep 11:33post reply

quote:
On another note related to Food Girl, The Iron Chef is making a comeback. Talk about nostalgia.

Ah, now there's some good news. Seeing as how drama filled cooking shows still have a following in the US I'm glad to see one of the forerunners of the genre come back. I remember reading the official Iron Chef memoir/cookbook that came out. The chefs seemed vaguely embarrassed about the whole thing and wondered what their children would have to put up with if it was discovered their fathers were wearing costumes on television and popping out of trap doors. But Takeshi Kaga, bless his heart, stayed in character in his introduction and really tried to sell the idea that he was living in some sort of food-centric fortress.

Grave
1463th Post

PSN: Drakee
XBL: eccothedolphin

"Re(2):A la Cuisine!" , posted Mon 10 Sep 11:48post reply

quote:
Ah, now there's some good news. Seeing as how drama filled cooking shows still have a following in the US I'm glad to see one of the forerunners of the genre come back. I remember reading the official Iron Chef memoir/cookbook that came out. The chefs seemed vaguely embarrassed about the whole thing and wondered what their children would have to put up with if it was discovered their fathers were wearing costumes on television and popping out of trap doors. But Takeshi Kaga, bless his heart, stayed in character in his introduction and really tried to sell the idea that he was living in some sort of food-centric fortress.

It's really great! I wish we could get DVDs of the old Food Network dub of the show with the music intact. Love how they stopped dubbing Kaga because, well, why would you ever do such a thing? I think it'd be difficult to follow subtitles on a show with so many people talking in commentary though...

They did air it on that one Food Network spinoff channel, I forget what it's called but my folks got it and I caught it at a holiday years ago. They redid all the music... it's horrible! So disappointing.

Iron Chef America has taken great strides and become a much better show than I ever imagined possible when it started - I like it but it's still a very different thing than the original. I think that's good, but nothing touches the style and atmosphere of the original! I can't wait to see what they have planned next - wonder if they'll lure Kaga back, even though his character was said to be dead during one special?

Hey, did anyone ever play the Iron Chef "game" for Saturn? Always wanted to scoop it up but every time I checked out an eBay listing for it I'd always forget about it before it was over...

KTallguy
1425th Post

"Re(3):A la Cuisine!" , posted Tue 11 Sep 06:14post reply

God I loved that show. The US versions were always missing the drama. And they had all these weird ingredients. I loved the exotic nature of the original. I wonder if I could find the DVDs somewhere...

Iggy
9377th Post

"Bayonetta 2 exclusive to WiiU" , posted Fri 14 Sep 01:35post reply

This blew my mind so much. And Nintendo bought the game!!! What happened to Nintendo being all touchy about sexual and religious elements in games they publish?

Already 3 people were dancing in my office when that was announced, so I'm eager to hear the opinion of this other homosexual hangout that is the Café. Difficult to get hyped by just a teaser on a game that's probably back from the dead and whose life hangs by a string... but god am I hyped.

karasu99
989th Post

"Re(1):Bayonetta 2 exclusive to WiiU" , posted Fri 14 Sep 02:11:post reply

quote:

Already 3 people were dancing in my office when that was announced, so I'm eager to hear the opinion of this other homosexual hangout that is the Café.

At first I was tremendously disappointed, because I had made up my mind without even thinking about it that I didn't like and didn't want the Wii U. But then my rational mind kicked in. This is Bayonetta, which was probably my favorite non-fighting game of the last 5 or 6 years! So this probably then becomes a reason to buy the Wii U, even if nothing else comes of the system. SIGH.
quote:
This blew my mind so much. And Nintendo bought the game!!! What happened to Nintendo being all touchy about sexual and religious elements in games they publish?

Iggy, wasn't that the Nintendo of the 80's and 90's? The Nintendo of today has games where people regularly say 'shit' constantly, or at least that was my impression.

www.secret-arts.com

[this message was edited by karasu99 on Fri 14 Sep 03:53]

nobinobita
1090th Post

"Re(2):Bayonetta 2 exclusive to WiiU" , posted Fri 14 Sep 02:25post reply

quote:

Already 3 people were dancing in my office when that was announced, so I'm eager to hear the opinion of this other homosexual hangout that is the Café.
At first I was tremendously disappointed, because I had made up my mind without even thinking about it that I didn't like and didn't want the Wii U. But then my rational mind kicked in. This is Bayonetta, which was probably my favorite non-fighting game of the last 5 or 6 years! So this probably then becomes a reason to buy the Wii U, even if nothing else comes of the system. SIGH.

Iggy, wasn't that the Nintendo of the 80's and 90's? The Nintendo of today has games where people regularly say 'shit' constantly, or at least that was my impression.

This is exciting! It seems like Platinum and Nintendo are developing a good relationship. If Nintendo really gets behind them I'm all for it.

www.art-eater.com

Ishmael
4448th Post

"Re(3):Bayonetta 2 exclusive to WiiU" , posted Fri 14 Sep 02:44post reply

Who saw that one coming? I don't know what I expected from the Wii U but I didn't think that Nintendo would suddenly decide that publishing the sequel to Bayonetta was a jolly idea. Good for them but how is Bayonetta going to handle with that controller?

It just occurred to me that I have never spoken the name "Wii U" aloud. I've decided I'm going to treat it as one word and pronounce it as a mass of vowels.

nobinobita
1091th Post

"Re(4):Bayonetta 2 exclusive to WiiU" , posted Fri 14 Sep 02:49post reply

quote:

It just occurred to me that I have never spoken the name "Wii U" aloud. I've decided I'm going to treat it as one word and pronounce it as a mass of vowels.

My nephew makes that sound when he pretends to be an ambulance!

www.art-eater.com

GekigangerV
1788th Post

"Re(5):Bayonetta 2 exclusive to WiiU" , posted Fri 14 Sep 02:54:post reply

Wow, I was going to get a Wii U eventually, but now this gives me something real concrete to be excited about. It looks like it is kind of big news on the twitter feed as well since Bayonetta 2 is trending worldwide.

I wonder if Nintendo has a Vanquish sequel in their back pocket as well. Although not as good as Bayonetta, it had potential and the damn thing ended with a tease.

Perhaps Bayonetta can also be in the next Smash game.

[this message was edited by GekigangerV on Fri 14 Sep 02:54]

Gojira
2874th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
Wii: 80085

"Re(6):Bayonetta 2 exclusive to WiiU" , posted Fri 14 Sep 03:33post reply

Wow, and here I'd resigned myself to the idea that Bayonetta 2 would never happen.

The original Bayonetta had those very richly-integrated Sega references like Outrun and Space Harrier stages... could this mean Bayo 2 will contain entire stage references to Nintendo properties like F-Zero, Metroid and/or Star Fox? Just imagining hearing those themes with Hiroshi Yamaguchi's arrangement gets me all tingly.

Toxico
5716th Post

"Re(1):Bayonetta 2 exclusive to WiiU" , posted Fri 14 Sep 03:42post reply

quote:

Everyone present will be dressing as Bayonetta, but of course.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

Last update : Chapter 25 as of 31/08/12

karasu99
989th Post

"Re(7):Bayonetta 2 exclusive to WiiU" , posted Fri 14 Sep 04:02post reply

quote:
The original Bayonetta had those very richly-integrated Sega references like Outrun and Space Harrier stages... could this mean Bayo 2 will contain entire stage references to Nintendo properties like F-Zero, Metroid and/or Star Fox? Just imagining hearing those themes with Hiroshi Yamaguchi's arrangement gets me all tingly.

Hoh, the thought of it gives me chills! The best thing about Bayo 1 was that the whole package came together so well. I have to say though, I'm amazed at the amount of rage the announcement has inspired everywhere. I hadn't realized there were so many people who loved the first game sooo much that they decided to rage out about this one being on the Wii U. Probably people just enjoy being angry about stuff

www.secret-arts.com

Iggy
9379th Post

"Re(2):Bayonetta 2 exclusive to WiiU" , posted Fri 14 Sep 04:19post reply

Like someone on NeoGaf said, this all sounds like a crazy fanfic.
quote:

Really? Damn I'm old.

Apparently, not only the director of the sequel is the producer of Bayo 1, he was also in the artists team of Bio Hazard 4, DMC1 and GodHand. Since the visuals were one of Bayo's strong point, I'm even more optimistic.

Pollyanna
3282th Post

PSN: Lilly_Dopamine

"Re(3):Bayonetta 2 exclusive to WiiU" , posted Fri 14 Sep 08:12post reply

Despite having just bought 2 3DS systems, I like to share in a good joke about Nintendo from time to time. However, I think the subtlety of talking about their new system in the NONGAMING thread, might be lost on some people.

(As soon as I heard the Bayonetta announcement, I preordered a WiiU, like...lightning fast. It was comical)

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Iggy
9380th Post

"Re(4):Bayonetta 2 exclusive to WiiU" , posted Fri 14 Sep 08:24post reply

quote:
Despite having just bought 2 3DS systems, I like to share in a good joke about Nintendo from time to time. However, I think the subtlety of talking about their new system in the NONGAMING thread, might be lost on some people.
Does it go better if I pretend I posted here because Bayonetta is not merely a game, it's a lifestyle?

As for preordering... let's just say an embarrassed "indeed" and not mention it ever again. Ahem.
I don't know if these 5000 extra WiiU that fine gentlemen worlwide are going to buy just for this game are really worth it for Nintendo, but let's say it is. Sometimes I think the only thing the previous game lacked was a Space Channel 5 stage, but then I remember how tedious these Sega-inspired stage were and I slap myself in the face.

Nekros
487th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):Bayonetta 2 exclusive to WiiU" , posted Sun 16 Sep 18:51post reply

quote:

I don't know if these 5000 extra WiiU that fine gentlemen worlwide are going to buy just for this game are really worth it for Nintendo, but let's say it is.

Don't think it will ever happen. maybe in Japan, but I assure you very few people in the west (including our Polly) will buy a 350 dollar console only to play a single game.
Personally, I'm glad the WiiU will have some Japanese exclusives but I'm still skeptical of this being for a long time (it reminds me the Fab.5 from Capcom in the GC era...). This game is ok to me, I don't feel "betrayed" or so by P* and I think is a great move from Nintendo.
But this hasn't turned me on, I'm very cold about WiiU. I love the console and the controller but there isn't a single game that sold me the system. I'm a collector and will get that at 99% but not at launch and maybe not even during 2013... unless Nintendo dig well Sega's archives and revives fossils of ancient weapons and humanoid drones...

Pollyanna
3287th Post

"Re(6):Bayonetta 2 exclusive to WiiU" , posted Sun 16 Sep 21:20post reply

quote:

Don't think it will ever happen. maybe in Japan, but I assure you very few people in the west (including our Polly) will buy a 350 dollar console only to play a single game.

Well, this is true. I probably wouldn't buy a console for ONE GAME (unless I could get it for cheap), but what are the chances of a console announcing a few games I'm interested in at launch, then never having anything else whatsoever?

I DISLIKED the Wii, but it had about 5 or 6 games that justified the purchase of the console for me.

I don't really have high expectations for the WiiU, but it already has 2 Platinum games, a game from Monolith on the way and an inevitable Smash Bros. MH3G HD has given me hope that we might see a WiiU MH4, which would also be nice. That's not bad for pre-launch. Good enough to get a preorder from me.

Although the console doesn't especially excite me in concept, I think it may be a positive alternative for developers once the new consoles hit and development prices risk increasing even more.

My concern is region lock. I got a super good deal on a Japanese 3DS, so I bought it along with a US XL. (I'll eventually make that money back with the difference in US vs import games) Buying two WiiU systems is NOT an option, however. That's bonkers.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Nekros
489th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(7):Bayonetta 2 exclusive to WiiU" , posted Sun 16 Sep 21:49post reply

quote:

I DISLIKED the Wii, but it had about 5 or 6 games that justified the purchase of the console for me.

Me too in the beginning, but this gen it gave me Japan at its finest (Muramasa, Shikigami No Shiro, TvC, Smash Bros, Sin & Punishment, Pandora's Tower). It was worth the price just to play exsclusives that aren't big AAA titles with military indoctrination in it.

quote:

Well, this is true. I probably wouldn't buy a console for ONE GAME (unless I could get it for cheap), but what are the chances of a console announcing a few games I'm interested in at launch, then never having anything else whatsoever?
I don't really have high expectations for the WiiU, but it already has 2 Platinum games, a game from Monolith on the way and an inevitable Smash Bros. MH3G HD has given me hope that we might see a WiiU MH4, which would also be nice. That's not bad for pre-launch. Good enough to get a preorder from me.

Don't get me wrong but to me you're living in a daydream. Fine with your taste in videogames (not as mine but similar in many ways) but you write about launch window titles and Bayonetta isn't even dated. MH4 is not even announced, Smash Bros. is a Namco product and the Monolith Project is a mystery in every way (style/themes/settings, gameplay, release date, even the game itself...what if it turns out to be a Mii social game?). You are very optimistic or are you putting hope in something that actual systems failed to give you?
I'm not criticizing you, I simply don't understand why you are so invested in this and even preordered the system. Even me, as a collector, avoided this for the lack of appealing software.

quote:

My concern is region lock. I got a super good deal on a Japanese 3DS, so I bought it along with a US XL. (I'll eventually make that money back with the difference in US vs import games) Buying two WiiU systems is NOT an option, however. That's bonkers.

WiiU will be compatible with external hd, so it will be a pool of unofficial software that makes the system universal without much effort. I have to admit I have two Wiis, the white version has homebrew software to play media files and import games and the black one is the "official" retail product. For the WiiU just wait for special discounts and stuff at malls or holiday sales, if it will be a popular system maybe you can find a basic model for cheap in less than a year.

Iggy
9381th Post

"Re(7):Bayonetta 2 exclusive to WiiU" , posted Sun 16 Sep 22:06post reply

quote:
And I can assure you as well that there is a minority of special people (2 incomes 0 child kind of people) interested by this announcement. And a larger demographic of people who bought all 3 consoles this generation, even though they don't play all of them and especially not the Wii. They are not millions, but they are quite a few. It's not the crisis for everyone yet. We're talking of a few thousands people in Europe only, and probably the same amount in the US. That's not a lot, but that's more than the Vita ever had, for example.
quote:
what are the chances of a console announcing a few games I'm interested in at launch, then never having anything else whatsoever?
I always buy a console for one game, THAT game that tilts the balance over for me (for example, for the 3DS, it's going to be either Gyakuten Layton or Megaten 4), and when I get that game, I usually have a certain back catalogue to pick from. But I always wait for the game to be actually released: I still remember Last Remnant or Megaten 4 were originally planned for PS3 back in the days... Of course, Bayo's situation is quite different since the game wouldn't even exist without Nintendo, and I mainly play Virtual Console games on my Wii so I will have stuff to play on day one.
quote:
My concern is region lock. I got a super good deal on a Japanese 3DS, so I bought it along with a US XL. (I'll eventually make that money back with the difference in US vs import games) Buying two WiiU systems is NOT an option, however.

I'm still buying japanese systems only, but the raise of online worried me even more this time. Fortunately, I kinda burned out on fighting games lately, so I hope I can stand firm this time again.

Baines
330th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):Bayonetta 2 exclusive to WiiU" , posted Mon 17 Sep 03:03post reply

quote:

The only problem area will probably be Nintendo of America.

The indifference and delays NOA showed to less casual Nintendo-published Wii titles could bite Bayonetta 2 hard. While Xenoblade and The Last Story got all the attention, they were only part of a pattern. For example, while Koei published Samurai Warriors 3 in Japan and Europe, NOA published it in America. The American release was delayed months, and given a release date that just happened to coincide (within a couple of weeks I believe) with the only other direct competition that would be available on the Wii, Sengoku Basara 3. (The SW3 release was further botched when parts of the country didn't receive copies of the game, in some cases until days after the release date, but I don't recall a reason for the delays ever being publicly given.)

Also, it should be noted that NOA photoshopped the cover art to Samurai Warriors 3, raising Kaihime's top.

Pollyanna
3288th Post

"Re(8):Bayonetta 2 exclusive to WiiU" , posted Mon 17 Sep 07:50post reply

quote:

Don't get me wrong but to me you're living in a daydream. Fine with your taste in videogames (not as mine but similar in many ways) but you write about launch window titles and Bayonetta isn't even dated. MH4 is not even announced, Smash Bros. is a Namco product and the Monolith Project is a mystery in every way (style/themes/settings, gameplay, release date, even the game itself...what if it turns out to be a Mii social game?). You are very optimistic or are you putting hope in something that actual systems failed to give you?
I'm not criticizing you

Everything you said isn't necessarily wrong, but I think you're misreading my words. I said "hope" "might" and "good enough." Saying I'm "living in a dream world" for only showing vague optimism is a bit harsh.

Although I normally follow Iggy's method of "waiting until there's that ONE game" then enjoying the back catalogue, I have enough disposable income right now to buy the system before the game. That is optimism, as I don't have a $350 reason to buy the system yet. However, I like an awful lot of video games. Thinking that there's a chance of the system never having at least a handful of games I want is extremely pessimistic.

But yeah, the system does seem to have a pretty weak launch.

quote:
I'm still buying japanese systems only, but the raise of online worried me even more this time. Fortunately, I kinda burned out on fighting games lately, so I hope I can stand firm this time again.

I don't understand what this means. You can get online with a Japanese system the same as any other (theoretically) anywhere in the world. Is there something I'm missing or misunderstood?

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Grave
1469th Post

"Re(9):Bayonetta 2 exclusive to WiiU" , posted Mon 17 Sep 10:50post reply

quote:
But yeah, the system does seem to have a pretty weak launch.

I'm actually kind of glad that GameStop presold out of deluxe packs and Amazon isn't selling them because if it were convenient I WOULD get one at launch. I bought a Wii at launch and I didn't regret it- we camped out in line overnight at a Target and it was actually kind of fun! Though I would have been better off if I flipped it for double in the parking lot like a friend did.

Still, those first few months of Wii ownership were pretty fun! Basic things like sending messages and playing with Virtual Console were fun... and it had Excite Truck. Excite Truck is amazing. I've rarely ever regretted getting a console at launch. It's fun to discover new things about them, fun to have the hardware at home and goof around with every little aspect of it. I suspect the Wii U will be pretty cool in the long run, and I'll definitely have one by the time Monster Hunter's out. But like others have said, NoA needs to not screw over their "mature" audience if they want to be taken seriously this time around. They have a fantastic opportunity, I just hope they take full advantage of it.

Iggy
9382th Post

"Re(10):Bayonetta 2 exclusive to WiiU" , posted Mon 17 Sep 16:51post reply

quote:
I don't understand what this means. You can get online with a Japanese system the same as any other (theoretically) anywhere in the world. Is there something I'm missing or misunderstood?
Aren't there silly games / developers / hardwares that lock you in certain servers according to their region, not your IP? Like, if I buy MH3 JP on my Japanese WiiU, and you buy your US version on a US WiiU, are we going to be able to play together? I know this didn't prove to be a problem on most PS3 games, but with Nintendo having recently discovered the "online" continent, I'm worried boarding on the pessimistic.
But then, fortunately, I'll probably mostly play this one offline. Until the announced at the TGS they have secured the next Demon's Soul from From, that is.

Pollyanna
3289th Post

"Re(10):Bayonetta 2 exclusive to WiiU" , posted Mon 17 Sep 18:17post reply

quote:

I suspect the Wii U will be pretty cool in the long run, and I'll definitely have one by the time Monster Hunter's out. But like others have said, NoA needs to not screw over their "mature" audience if they want to be taken seriously this time around. They have a fantastic opportunity, I just hope they take full advantage of it.

I hope this doesn't come across as condescending, but your straightforward love for video games always makes me happy. Sometimes, "I just love video games, dude" is the only explanation necessary.

Anyway, in terms of the "mature" audience, I think Bayonetta is more of a "thematic investment" rather than a game they're expecting a huge return on. Announcing it right off sends a message, whether you're especially interested in the game or not.

quote:
Aren't there silly games / developers / hardwares that lock you in certain servers according to their region, not your IP? Like, if I buy MH3 JP on my Japanese WiiU, and you buy your US version on a US WiiU, are we going to be able to play together? I know this didn't prove to be a problem on most PS3 games, but with Nintendo having recently discovered the "online" continent, I'm worried boarding on the pessimistic.

I have no idea what kind of nutty limitations Nintendo might cook up, but I haven't experienced anything like this in the past. Rather, I've sometimes found myself paired with Japanese players too much, even when I'm using an American system. Most games pair on connection quality or "whoever they can find". The only exception I can think of is SFxT, which idiotically let you search by region, but not by CONNECTION QUALITY. I don't care where the fuck my opponent comes from as long as his connection is good.

It's funny that you bring up Monster Hunter, though...because I don't know how the online on that worked on Wii. I wonder if they separated US and Japan players because it was a paid service in Japan and different missions were available.

OH OH WAIT! I can think of a game that separated the regions! Metal Gear Online! Of course, the PS3 is region free, so you could still buy whatever version you wanted to play on. This was a particular nuisance, though, since American players cheated so much that the game was completely ruined, and Konami, being a Japanese company and all, had no interest in dealing with the issue. American fans of the game would even buy the Japanese version just to get away from all the cheating.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Nekros
490th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Bayonetta 2 exclusive to WiiU" , posted Mon 17 Sep 23:16post reply

quote:
I don't understand what this means. You can get online with a Japanese system the same as any other (theoretically) anywhere in the world. Is there something I'm missing or misunderstood? Aren't there silly games / developers / hardwares that lock you in certain servers according to their region, not your IP? Like, if I buy MH3 JP on my Japanese WiiU, and you buy your US version on a US WiiU, are we going to be able to play together?

Let's try with the first Wii... games like Smash Brothers or The Last Story are playable online, I think it depends only on the friend codes your list has, not wich version they're playing.
Also, if you get paired with Japanese players it may be because you play the same kind of games and westerners don't.

badoor
280th Post

PSN: BadoorSNK
XBL: BadoorSNK
Wii: PSVITA:BadoorUSA

Copper Customer

"Re(3):Bayonetta 2 exclusive to WiiU" , posted Wed 19 Sep 09:48post reply

quote:
The only problem area will probably be Nintendo of America.

Well, if the Nintendo published Ninja Gaiden 3:Razor's Edge trailer is any indication, it's that Nintendo is OK with boobs, blood, and other nasty stuff. Though the fact that the most "mature" version of a game is only for the Nintendo system is all kinds of ironic.

There's a lot of uproar about Bayonetta 2 being an exclusive. I can sorta understand that cause it's now only coming to a system they don't own. But given that it could have been canceled, which clearly is not what anyone wants. And even if it wasn't the fact that, other than the 1st Bayonetta, Platinum games's games (?!) aren't that financially successful (and from what I've heard, Max Anarchy tanked and is still TBA for US/EU release). So having good solid backer like Nintendo who is obviously capable and is not EA or others concerned to comply with "Western-gritty McShooter" sensibilities is the best case scenario for Bayo2 to be as great as it can be.

Burning Ranger
1717th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Bayonetta 2 exclusive to WiiU" , posted Wed 19 Sep 10:19post reply

quote:

Already 3 people were dancing in my office when that was announced, so I'm eager to hear the opinion of this other homosexual hangout that is the Café. Difficult to get hyped by just a teaser on a game that's probably back from the dead and whose life hangs by a string... but god am I hyped.

I don't know... I was hesitant to buy a Wii U--no, I'll just call it the Wii 2, or W2, thank you very much. I still am... I kind of resolved that the current generation of consoles would be the last I would ever buy.

Still, I liked Bayonetta enough to want to play the sequel. It won't be the killer-app that makes me buy the console on day , but I may get it eventually... that is, unless Platinum releases a "directors cut" on the other platforms...

So much to do so little time...

sfried
799th Post

PSN: My3DSFriendCode
XBL: isdownbellow
Wii: 279306128909

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(2):Bayonetta 2 exclusive to WiiU" , posted Wed 19 Sep 13:01:post reply

quote:

I don't know... I was hesitant to buy a Wii U--no, I'll just call it the Wii 2, or W2, thank you very much. I still am... I kind of resolved that the current generation of consoles would be the last I would ever buy.

Still, I liked Bayonetta enough to want to play the sequel. It won't be the killer-app that makes me buy the console on day , but I may get it eventually... that is, unless Platinum releases a "directors cut" on the other platforms...

I don't see why people are so touchy about it being on the Wii U. It's not like Platinum's other Nintendo collaborative offering (The Wonderfull 101) isn't looking solid as well. I mean, part of me thinks they are still hiding most of their cards.

But honestly, I think The Wonderfull 101 deserves more attention: Viewtiful Joe Pikmin/Little King's Story with weird mass powers, I just wondered why they didn't give it any highlight at E3.

And the whole "Ninja Gaiden 3: Fixed Edition" makes me wonder if they will actually use Mario Club's input for balance issues.

[this message was edited by sfried on Wed 19 Sep 13:05]

Pollyanna
3293th Post

"Re(3):Bayonetta 2 exclusive to WiiU" , posted Wed 19 Sep 14:44post reply

quote:
I still am... I kind of resolved that the current generation of consoles would be the last I would ever buy.

Are you done with video games? Gonna be a family man? Freeing yourself of earthly desires?
quote:

I don't see why people are so touchy about it being on the Wii U. It's not like Platinum's other Nintendo collaborative offering (The Wonderfull 101) isn't looking solid as well.

I don't think it has anything to do with fear of quality. It's a brand thing. They bought the first game on one system and don't want to buy another system for the sequel. Ironically, another factor is probably the bias against Nintendo that Nintendo is most likely publishing Bayonetta 2 to fight against.

quote:
But honestly, I think The Wonderfull 101 deserves more attention: Viewtiful Joe Pikmin/Little King's Story with weird mass powers, I just wondered why they didn't give it any highlight at E3.

I wondered that myself. They didn't have a huge number of games to show, so I feel like they really could've drummed up some excitement for it. The trailers don't do the game justice, either. Seeing people actually play it is what impressed me.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Nekros
496th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Bayonetta 2 exclusive to WiiU" , posted Wed 19 Sep 15:53post reply

quote:
I still am... I kind of resolved that the current generation of consoles would be the last I would ever buy.

Don't count on it, we need you here ^_^

Also, is Razor's Edge the "best" version of NG3? I tried the demo on 360 and was uninpressed... but then I saw the trailer for the WiiU version and finally realized what I was waiting for since the first NG: playing as Ayane for more than a couple hours. Ayane covered in blood wearing a spandex outfit sold me the game. Not the WiiU, sadly.

Baines
331th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(4):Bayonetta 2 exclusive to WiiU" , posted Thu 20 Sep 05:33post reply

quote:
Ironically, another factor is probably the bias against Nintendo that Nintendo is most likely publishing Bayonetta 2 to fight against.

People get annoyed if Microsoft or Sony get an exclusive that they want to play, but they get absolutely livid if a Nintendo console gets that exclusive.

There is a very vocal group of "serious" gamers who absolutely loathe Nintendo, much more than any normal console war bias.

Burning Ranger
1719th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(4):Bayonetta 2 exclusive to WiiU" , posted Thu 20 Sep 08:27post reply

quote:
Are you done with video games? Gonna be a family man? Freeing yourself of earthly desires?

I was actually going to take up fly fishing

But in all seriousness, the current state of the game industry has left a negative impression upon me so much that I don't really feel like making the financial investment in them anymore. I'm more content with living in the past playing with my classic consoles (why re-buy SF:Third Strike on PS3/Xbox when I have a perfectly good version on the PS2?!?).

So much to do so little time...

Maou
2381th Post

"Re(5): gaming monestary" , posted Fri 21 Sep 00:23post reply

quote:
I was actually going to take up fly fishing
I have a nice compromise for you that involves Ishmael's favorite game. (*Note: this may not actually be Ishmael's favorite game. He did mention it one time in a joke, though!)

Ishmael
4455th Post

"Re(6): gaming monestary" , posted Fri 21 Sep 03:05post reply

quote:
I was actually going to take up fly fishing I have a nice compromise for you that involves Ishmael's favorite game. (*Note: this may not actually be Ishmael's favorite game. He did mention it one time in a joke, though!)

Oddly enough, I do like those games to the point that Get Bass currently provides the theme and wallpaper for my PS3. While Sega Marine Fishing is my favorite of the series there's still something to be said for the simple joy of having Terry Bogard reel in some largemouth bass.

Grave
1473th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Bayonetta 2 exclusive to WiiU" , posted Sat 22 Sep 08:24post reply

quote:
I hope this doesn't come across as condescending, but your straightforward love for video games always makes me happy. Sometimes, "I just love video games, dude" is the only explanation necessary.

Ha! No, that makes me happy! I can only hope that sort of thing comes through when my related business venture gets off the ground! ENTHUSIASM!
quote:
Oddly enough, I do like those games to the point that Get Bass currently provides the theme and wallpaper for my PS3. While Sega Marine Fishing is my favorite of the series there's still something to be said for the simple joy of having Terry Bogard reel in some largemouth bass.

See, I always knew you were a man of taste and sophistication, but I didn't know the extent of these attributes...! Sega Marine Fishing is THE GREATEST and while I first purchased a clearance Dreamcast fishing rod as a joke (and to see whether or not someone was yanking my chain about it working with Soul Calibur - and they weren't), when I sat down and played Sega Marine Fishing I realized I had made a solid decision. Worst thing about the ports is, well, no DC fishing rod.

However, Sims, the dev responsible for some of the ports of Sega's fishing games, is trying to strike out on their own! Except it is horrifying moe trash. I don't know what to think about that, but I DO know that River King PS2 just came out on PSN, and Legend of the River King for GB is coming to 3DS Virtual Console soon if not already. So: fishing. Let's do that!

KTallguy
1432th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Bayonetta 2 exclusive to WiiU" , posted Sun 23 Sep 07:18post reply

quote:
However, Sims, the dev responsible for some of the ports of Sega's fishing games, is trying to strike out on their own! Except it is horrifying moe trash.

:(

Toxico
5722th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Bayonetta 2 exclusive to WiiU" , posted Sun 23 Sep 18:08post reply

So, what better way to promote a series rather than showing cels in fabulous stances?

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

Ishmael
4457th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Bayonetta 2 exclusive to WiiU" , posted Mon 24 Sep 05:33post reply

quote:
However, Sims, the dev responsible for some of the ports of Sega's fishing games, is trying to strike out on their own! Except it is horrifying moe trash.

:(

It's a good thing this is in the non-game thread because not a game in my book. Nothing says moe like the smell of live bait and the cold, clammy feel of a fish.

Baines
332th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(5):Bayonetta 2 exclusive to WiiU" , posted Mon 24 Sep 08:53post reply

Comments elsewhere on the whole Bayonetta 2 issue led me to notice Ars Technica and Eurogamer's articles that while the Wii U has a better GPU and more RAM than current systems, its CPU is underpowered. Did Nintendo focus on graphics over gameplay?

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/09/wii-u-developer-reports-struggles-with-slow-cpu/
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-30-how-powerful-is-the-wii-u-really

Pollyanna
3296th Post

"Re(6):Bayonetta 2 exclusive to WiiU" , posted Mon 24 Sep 12:50post reply

quote:
Did Nintendo focus on graphics over gameplay?

Is that a joke? Like, better CPU=quantifiably better gameplay? Like when I played Megaman 2 on NES, it was less fun do to the systems low-gameplay power, but when I played it on PS3, with it's super-gameplay powered CPU, it was great! Well, lucky us, either way, since the CPU is more powerful than the Wii or (3)DS', meaning higher gameplay numbers for sure!

On a less sarcastic note, I could somewhat agree with the sentiment that Nintendo might be less focused on innovating for some titles and more focused on bringing their series into HD for the first time. Still, that has nothing to do with CPU, as there's no ghz on ingenuity.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Baines
333th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(7):Bayonetta 2 exclusive to WiiU" , posted Mon 24 Sep 14:52post reply

quote:
Is that a joke? Like, better CPU=quantifiably better gameplay?

Of course a better CPU doesn't automatically make a game better, or more innovative either. But the CPU generally has more impact than the GPU in those areas, and is important for certain types of games. That's the situation with the Wii U. Nintendo designed a system that outperforms the PS3/360 graphically, but which is weaker than those systems in CPU performance.

I would guess this difference is what has been responsible for contradictory developer opinions on the Wii U's performance. If your game is more GPU reliant, then you've got more power than the PS3/360, and can boost the graphics of your ports. If your game pushed the CPU, then you find yourself with less power. That, as one of the articles mentioned, is the case for Koei porting Warriors Orochi 3.

Of course, Nintendo probably just sees it as an overall improvement over the Wii, rather than a real competition with the PS3 or 360.

Pollyanna
3299th Post

"Re(8):Bayonetta 2 exclusive to WiiU" , posted Mon 24 Sep 16:15post reply

quote:
important for certain types of games.

Yes, definitely. I was splitting hairs because what you said felt like a buzzword oversimplification. In the case of a musou game, I'm sure the way they'll get all those guys on the screen will be to lower the graphic quality of each one. They'll have to sacrifice their "graphical superiority" for the sake of gameplay in some cases... thus restoring the balance?

What I get from this is that some ports will suffer (or benefit?), but games built with the system in mind might look surprisingly nice.

quote:
I would guess this difference is what has been responsible for contradictory developer opinions on the Wii U's performance.

Yeah, I was thinking it was just industry BS, but I'm glad to see there's a logical explanation.

quote:
Of course, Nintendo probably just sees it as an overall improvement over the Wii, rather than a real competition with the PS3 or 360.

That's how I see it. I have all the current consoles and a powerful PC, so in terms of the WiiU, I'm only really interested in exclusives. I feel like the WiiU is a strange system coming out at a strange time, but it's HD and it has games I want to play that I can't play otherwise, so that's good enough for me.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

nobinobita
1098th Post

"Re(9):Bayonetta 2 exclusive to WiiU" , posted Tue 25 Sep 01:13post reply

quote:
I feel like the WiiU is a strange system coming out at a strange time, but it's HD and it has games I want to play that I can't play otherwise, so that's good enough for me.

For me, graphics pretty much peaked in the ps2 era:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8-4K5Q0Zc8

So as long as they make some nicely stylized games, I'll be satisfied.

www.art-eater.com

Gieflos
87th Post

PSN: pooplos-z
XBL: PooplosZ

Occasional Customer

"Re(10):Neo Geo X proof" , posted Tue 25 Sep 02:56:post reply

What an elaborate hoax.

I was waiting for him to hit the menu button! Torture!!!

[this message was edited by Gieflos on Tue 25 Sep 03:01]

Spoon
2361th Post

"Masaaki Yuasa's Kickstart...." , posted Tue 2 Oct 10:10post reply

.... called "Kick-Heart".

It's about romance and pro-wrestling, which alone makes me want to back it. I know a bunch of you here are fans of his work on Mind Game and Kemonozume, but it's interesting to me that the people behind the project are Production IG. They can't finance the project on their own? Or do they expect its appeal to be so niche that it would be done at a loss if they financed it on their own?

kick start my heart

Gojira
2879th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
Wii: 80085

"Re(1):Masaaki Yuasa's Kickstart...." , posted Tue 2 Oct 11:16post reply

Tatami Galaxy <3

The premise has my approval but... a $150K kickstarter for a 10-minute film? Hmmm.

Toxico
5725th Post

"..........." , posted Wed 3 Oct 04:02post reply

Zangi no Ken - Nico . It's all about the lyrics.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

Professor
3591th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):..........." , posted Fri 26 Oct 23:36post reply

Just watched the new Iron Chef series and man, it's... OK? I guess. A bit depressing since it -Spoiler-starts out in a graveyard with flashbacks of chairman Kaga, then you see the new chairman praying in front of a tombstone before the show starts. They killed off chairman Kaga. Craps.

The reason why the producers decided to kill off Kaga is pretty obvious after you watch this first episode. Basically the theme of the show seems to be about the next generation of younger chefs that's inheriting over the previous iron chefs. In fact, the first contenders were Michiba and Chin's disciples (and they lost).
-/spoiler-

The new chairman just doesn't seem to have the charisma to fit Kaga's big shoes. Shouting "De Gastronomy!" instead of "A la Cuisine!" just doesn't have the same magic, either. However, thanks to the modern digital TV, the food looks so.... delicious. The color and details of the dishes are so vibrant.

Toxico
5731th Post

"Re(2):..........." , posted Mon 29 Oct 03:08post reply

Just saving the link for documentary purposes, har har.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

Ishmael
4482th Post

"Re(3):..........." , posted Mon 29 Oct 22:57:post reply

quote:
Just watched the new Iron Chef series and man, it's... OK? I guess.

I like that the page lists the food and chefs involved in each episode. Stat tracking for your chefs!

quote:

So the guy doesn't have a proper bed or even sheets but he does have a full arcade cabinet? That's dedication to your hobby.

EDIT: I did a quick edit to my post and it erased everything I had hidden as spoiler text! I didn't know that would happen.

[this message was edited by Ishmael on Tue 30 Oct 01:32]

Toxico
5733th Post

"Re(4):..........." , posted Tue 30 Oct 01:25:post reply

quote:
So the guy doesn't have a proper bed or even sheets but he does have a full arcade cabinet? That's dedication to your hobby.

The house has like 20 rooms and the biggest one of the empty floor was changed to a "game room". There it was a bed there but a few weeks ago some guy decided to perform a super elbow drop on someone else and well.... the result wasn't pretty, so just don't ask.

edit :

Ishmael : Yeah, I remember spoiler text getting erased when you edit something from way back, outside copipasting your entire post before editing there is like, no escape.

Some Groove on Fight matches (yeah, totally OT)

1 - Nico
2 - Nico
3 - Nico

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

[this message was edited by Toxico on Tue 30 Oct 03:26]

Professor
3617th Post

MMCafe Owner

"What've they've done with my COLONEL" , posted Fri 16 Nov 04:20post reply

Oh my lord cripes, I just noticed what Maou posted up in the Pic uploader

do not want candy from this guy

karasu99
1031th Post

"Re(1):What've they've done with my COLONEL" , posted Fri 16 Nov 08:16post reply

quote:
Oh my lord cripes, I just noticed what Maou posted up in the Pic uploader

do not want candy from this guy

Hah, yes, he's delightfully creepy! Out of curiosity, do they dress him up for all kinds of holidays?

www.secret-arts.com

KTallguy
1455th Post

"Re(2):What've they've done with my COLONEL" , posted Mon 19 Nov 08:47post reply

I know that they do Xmas, and sometimes Thanksgiving? I'm not sure if it's consistent across all KFCs either. But there are a lot of those statues out there!

Professor
3618th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):What've they've done with my COLONEL" , posted Tue 20 Nov 01:36post reply

quote:
I know that they do Xmas, and sometimes Thanksgiving? I'm not sure if it's consistent across all KFCs either. But there are a lot of those statues out there!

Maid

Santa

Samurai

Fujitsu

Hawaii

Evangelion

Also on a completely unrelated note, Mercedez Benz Japan created an original anime, viewable here with subtitles. Pretty damn good.

chazumaru
963th Post

"Re(1):Kono random thread, mamoritai." , posted Tue 20 Nov 01:57post reply

quote:
I remember that in ages old Chaz was walking around town, picking up fresh off the grill (male) art students and asking around about the 守りたい、この笑顔 meme and if there it was an equivalent of know your meme or something... well, it's obviously besides the point now but there is a Niconico pedia and seems to have something about it.

Remember kids , I don't forget. I just drink it out so that I can't remember for a while.

Holy carp* I had not seen that post! Belated gracias.

By the way, I might visit Argentina in January, do you know the place a little bit? Is anyone on MMC from Argentina?

78… 78… 絵札はさすらい ♪ 78… 78… 秩序は廻る ♪ 78… 78… 絵札はさすらい ♪ 78… 78… 未来を示す

KTallguy
1456th Post

"Re(4):What've they've done with my COLONEL" , posted Tue 20 Nov 03:25post reply

quote:
Colonel pics

hee hee hee

quote:
Also on a completely unrelated note, Mercedez Benz Japan created an original anime, viewable here with subtitles. Pretty damn good.

Wow, this is pretty awesome. The city sharing is a cool concept, and the seat switching is very dangerous lol. Too bad you can't drive a benz that fast in real life.

Ishmael
4491th Post

"Re(5):What've they've done with my COLONEL" , posted Tue 20 Nov 04:54post reply

When RE6 came out some random people on the internet wistfully hoped that RE would one day return to its roots. At the time I didn't know what they meant but now I realize they want more of this in their lives.

Nekros
519th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"What've they've done with my Dante!?" , posted Thu 22 Nov 09:01post reply

So, DMC demo is out, wanna share opinions.
I enjoyed some things; but in general it seems a game not for me, or not for players over 30 years old.
First of all, the design. While I don't like Dante, Vergil and most enemies (generic, uninspiring western mosters and kusogaki vampire kids) the other things are interesting. The enviroment, the use of colors, the buildings, are all well crafted and bright, creating an atmosphere not unique or original but very distant from most of the recent games. Although the story is stupidly gritty and serious, the tone of the game is too childish (it's raining bad words) to fit in some hard-boiled or pulp mood. I think Ninja Theory would have craft the mood like something The Matrix meets Hellblazer, but this is more in the concept than execution.
Gameplay turned me off, not because is bad, but because of the framerate. Usually I don't complain a low framerate when the game is enjoyable, but in this case the drop is too clear: I think in some part, especially dialogues, it runs significantly under 30 fps. Also, I've encountered a glitch that freezes the demo and I couldn't finish the stage, really a shame (both on NT and Capcom).
Music is really bland, glad they remove Combichrist from the battle theme but I prefer real good alternative/electronic than metal riffs with dubstep on the side.
My impression is a 6/10, considering the fact DMC will be released the same month a MGS:RR (much promising) and Inafune is working on a cell-shaded Ninja Gaiden.

karasu99
1032th Post

"Re(1):What've they've done with my Dante!?" , posted Fri 23 Nov 07:43post reply

quote:
So, DMC demo is out, wanna share opinions.
I enjoyed some things; but in general it seems a game not for me, or not for players over 30 years old.
First of all, the design. While I don't like Dante, Vergil and most enemies (generic, uninspiring western mosters and kusogaki vampire kids) the other things are interesting. The enviroment, the use of colors, the buildings, are all well crafted and bright, creating an atmosphere not unique or original but very distant from most of the recent games. Although the story is stupidly gritty and serious, the tone of the game is too childish (it's raining bad words) to fit in some hard-boiled or pulp mood. I think Ninja Theory would have craft the mood like something The Matrix meets Hellblazer, but this is more in the concept than execution.
Gameplay turned me off, not because is bad, but because of the framerate. Usually I don't complain a low framerate when the game is enjoyable, but in this case the drop is too clear: I think in some part, especially dialogues, it runs significantly under 30 fps. Also, I've encountered a glitch that freezes the demo and I couldn't finish the stage, really a shame (both on NT and Capcom).
Music is really bland, glad they remove Combichrist from the battle theme but I prefer real good alternative/electronic than metal riffs with dubstep on the side.

After reading your review I went and downloaded the demo, and I'm only now getting to playing it.

I was completely ready to absolutely hate the game after watching the trailer and seeing the decisions that had been made to 'update' Dante, a character that I'm not convinced needed updating. But while playing through the demo (the level, not the boss, which was all glitched out like crazy for me) I realized that while Dante's character design and voice acting is repellent, the enemy design is boring and uninspired to a pretty large degree (looking almost like it was a little Bayonetta-inspired, in some ways), and the dialog is just putrid, I... kinda liked the game itself. It completely surprised me!

Once I got the overly baroque starting movelist under control (with the dual light-and-dark grappling hooks and so on), it felt pretty smooth, and was just fun to play. While I can't stand the character design choices (what's up with Vergil's dumb hat?) I thought the level designs, the camerawork, and the sound and music choices were pretty good. Even the lighting was pretty well done. Part of me wishes that Capcom had just chosen to make this its own thing instead of a Devil May Cry 'reboot' (a la the newest Castlevania).

In conclusion: not just not as bad as I thought it would be, but actually pretty good if you turn the sound down during dialog, but I can definitely understand what you didn't care for, Nekros. Also, the boss glitched out on me not once but three times, requiring that I fall into the pus river to reset it and make it un-freeze. Ho hum.

In other news, I also downloaded the Sine Mora demo. It was a lot a lot a lot of fun! More on that soon after I buy it and play through it to the end!

www.secret-arts.com

Ishmael
4494th Post

"Re(2):What've they've done with my Dante!?" , posted Sat 24 Nov 01:50post reply

quote:
But while playing through the demo (the level, not the boss, which was all glitched out like crazy for me) I realized that while Dante's character design and voice acting is repellent, the enemy design is boring and uninspired to a pretty large degree (looking almost like it was a little Bayonetta-inspired, in some ways), and the dialog is just putrid, I... kinda liked the game itself. It completely surprised me!

Don't worry, I've got enough hate for the both of us!

Seriously though, while there were parts that weren't bad there was a lot that wasn't good as well.

Good: The whole grappling thing was sort of fun in it's own way. The combat in this type of game often comes down to crowd control and being able to shove enemies or yank yourself to them made me feel like I could really control the pace of the fight. I don't know, however, how any of this differs from Nero's fighting style in DMC4.

Bad: The whole thing was overly scripted. I never felt like I was using my wits to attack enemies or escape danger, instead I felt like I was being yelled at by a fussy stage director to get to my marks. The atrocious boss battle was particularly bad. I was given no choice in how to figure out the patterns and how I wanted to deal with them, instead I was supposed to do X, Y, and Z and that's it. At one point Dante even yelled out a suggestion when I wasn't attacking the flashing point on the boss quickly enough for his liking. It's every bad habit of Uncharted, Assassin's Creed and every other series that holds your hand too much put into a game where playing around with all the moves was half the fun. At no point did my blood start racing during the DMC demo, which is about the worst thing I can think of to say about an action game.

The Ugly: What is the point of this DMC reboot? I admit I was never a huge DMC fan but there were elements I thought were really fun. This reboot tries to replace the nonsensical story with a differnt nonsensical story and tries to replace the combat with something that's not nearly as much fun. Neither of these things seem like a good idea to change. If they had called this new game "Grapple Boy" or some other new IP it would have been a decent, if not very remarkable, game. Instead it's attached to a series that didn't need these changes. Oh well, at least I got Dragon's Dogma out of it so it's not all bad.

karasu99
1033th Post

"Re(3):What've they've done with my Dante!?" , posted Sat 24 Nov 09:37post reply

quote:
Don't worry, I've got enough hate for the both of us!

Har har, no, I had plenty I disliked too, I just didn't hate it as much as I thought I might.
Bad: The whole thing was overly scripted. I never felt like I was using my wits to attack enemies or escape danger, instead I felt like I was being yelled at by a fussy stage director to get to my marks. The atrocious boss battle was particularly bad. I was given no choice in how to figure out the patterns and how I wanted to deal with them, instead I was supposed to do X, Y, and Z and that's it.

The boss scene was really bad, and not just as a result of the glitches (which I'm amazed they didn't catch before releasing the demo, especially how bad they are. The first time it glitched out on me, I was unable to damage the boss, but it didn't attack me either. I could, however, combo it and get huge combo numbers. It was especially bad since I kept wondering if I had somehow missed something I should be doing, since it had hand-held me like crazy up to that point). At first I was impressed that there weren't any QTE's, but all they did was replace overt QTE's with hand-holding and GO HERE style scripting, which is just QTE's in disguise.

Still, you have no idea how bad I expected the game to be after watching the deplorably-acted trailer! I think they could have done just about anything to raise my opinion of it. It occurred to me after the fact that it was in very poor taste for me to mention That Game (Bayonetta) in reference to this one, which has nothing of its charm, quality, or genius. I blame Demon Whiskey for the slip-up!

As for why they did a reboot... you've got me. I didn't think the series needed it, but I'm probably also not in Capcom's target demographic anymore, honestly.

www.secret-arts.com

Pollyanna
3339th Post

"Re(2):What've they've done with my Dante!?" , posted Sat 24 Nov 10:44post reply

quote:
Also, the boss glitched out on me not once but three times, requiring that I fall into the pus river to reset it and make it un-freeze.

HELL YES. If that was happening to me personally, I'd probably be less than thrilled, but hearing it from someone else makes it sound SUPER AWESOME.

Also, non-gaming thread. Take THAT new DMC.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Nekros
520th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):What've they've done with my Raiden!?" , posted Fri 30 Nov 08:01post reply

....something awesome, apparently.
Just came from playing the ZOE HD Demo of MGSR: I enjoyed it a lot. Miles away from DMC, it seems a very solid game with interesting and fast paced gameplay, very responsive controls, lots of crazy and inventive sci-fi designs (reminds me 90s anime glorious cyborg gorefest). It has bits of slasher action games, the classic MGS and even ZOE mixed and modernized into a new fresh formula.
Seriously, where DMC fails -reinventing characters and settings of an action franchise- Rising succeds. Ahh Capcom, will you ever learn that Japanese action games are meant to be Japanese from the roots (I wonder what Kamiya may think of DMC, lol).
I suggest everyone of you to try the demo; it's a thrilling appetizer, imho.

mbisonhatclub
537th Post

PSN: hadoolket

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):What've they've done with my Raiden!?" , posted Fri 30 Nov 15:55post reply

quote:
....something awesome, apparently.
Just came from playing the ZOE HD Demo of MGSR: I enjoyed it a lot. Miles away from DMC, it seems a very solid game with interesting and fast paced gameplay, very responsive controls, lots of crazy and inventive sci-fi designs (reminds me 90s anime glorious cyborg gorefest). It has bits of slasher action games, the classic MGS and even ZOE mixed and modernized into a new fresh formula.
Seriously, where DMC fails -reinventing characters and settings of an action franchise- Rising succeds. Ahh Capcom, will you ever learn that Japanese action games are meant to be Japanese from the roots (I wonder what Kamiya may think of DMC, lol).
I suggest everyone of you to try the demo; it's a thrilling appetizer, imho.

It's like a game I can mash in and not get bored of, so I'm looking forward to the full version later. ZoE1 on the other hand is getting kinda repetitive with all the shooting of generic enemies that all look like the same two enemies, and I'm stuck trying to find one of the passcodes.

join the m.bison hat club today
i'm not just the president i'm also a client

Ishmael
4500th Post

"Re(5):What've they've done with my Raiden!?" , posted Sat 1 Dec 08:30post reply

For no good reason this song popped into my head this morning. I blame Iggy.

Iggy
9396th Post

"Re(6):What've they've done with my Raiden!?" , posted Sun 2 Dec 05:19post reply

quote:

I take the blame, but I find it interesting that it happens the very day I wake up with this stuck in my head.

GekigangerV
1800th Post

"dMc X Macross" , posted Sun 2 Dec 14:53post reply

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201211/30025197.html

In the next "Cap Book" the cover will feature some dMc art by Haruhiko Mikimoto, the character designer for Macross.

I wonder who thought lets go to Haruhiko when the whole design of the game is going to a more more hardcore, lets fuck shit up type of motif.

GekigangerV
1801th Post

"Hajime No Ippo 1000" , posted Mon 3 Dec 15:26post reply

You can read it here with a bunch of guest artist renditions of the characters.

http://www.mangareader.net/hajime-no-ippo/1000

So the manga is over 23 years old at this point and I think only 6 or 7 have passed in the story.

Kentaro Miura's drawing of Takamura is probably my favorite of the guest artist. I was surprised to see that he worked under Morikawa in the early Ippo days. Just for a little bit of comparison. HnI began in Oct '89 and Berserk began in Dec '90 (So Miura must have only worked on the first few months of HnI) and Berserk is only of chapter 332. But of course Mirua's art has gotten very detailed and I believe he doesn't use assistants like most Manga-ka. Then he gets caught in stuff like idolm@ster.

Toxico
5745th Post

"Re(6):What've they've done with my Raiden!?" , posted Sat 8 Dec 05:05post reply

quote:

Speaking of, I have been hearing inside my head this one all day. Naturally, it's Iggy's fault (unless he has some sort of alibi like having spent the day naked all day next to his butler)

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

Loona
666th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"There's an hour-long show about Ideon" , posted Wed 12 Dec 05:01post reply

A friend of mine recently shared a video with lots of deaths in older anime, and since it lacked some Ideon I seeked out an "all deaths" video to show what he was missing if he was into that.
While looking for that on Youtube, I incidentally found an hour-long show presented before a live audience about (Densetsu Kyojin/Space Runaway) Ideon, which is something i had no idea existed - it was posted a few months ago, but I don't know how old the actual show is, but it's clearly a part of a series, as there's at least one other for Votoms.

This was intriguing to say the least, since the show is mostly known nowadays for helping to inspire EVA (clearly Anno and I see very different things there) and its infamous kill count, which is something I'd expect to be relevant only to to the kind of folks that check /m/ and its japanese equivalents.

Tomino was absent from the whole thing, although I think he was mentioned (my japanese is nowhere nearly good enough to make the most of this), and I don't know if any of the guests was part of the writing staff, so I don't know if any of the symbolism I think I see in the show (Ide = id, pilots = ego, Solo ship = superego, the whole thing being an allegory or relating to others/the outside world, etc... along with a few other things I think a mecha setting could play with) was addressed or intentional, but for the artistically inclined it might still be interesting (at some point they spend some time analyzing things like a certain angle used to draw faces in a more dramatic way).

Too interesting not to share IMO.

Toxico
5746th Post

"Re(1):There's an hour-long show about Ideon" , posted Mon 17 Dec 06:42post reply

I which my father would have done something like this for me

Arino Garou Special

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

Professor
3634th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Shonen Jump theme park by Namco, summer 2013" , posted Mon 17 Dec 22:09:post reply

Well here's something unexpected. Namco is making an indoor theme park for Shonen Jump in Tokyo, slated for completion in summer 2013. It's going to open in the same Sunshine City mall as the Namco Namjatown, which itself is going into renovation soon.

After the renovation, Namjatown's size will be halved, still occupying the 2nd floor as it did, while its previous 3rd floor will be used for the new Shonen Jump theme park.

http://nlab.itmedia.co.jp/nl/articles/1212/17/news045.html

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 17 Dec 22:12]

Iggy
9405th Post

"Re(2):There's an hour-long show about Ideon" , posted Tue 18 Dec 00:04post reply

quote:
I which my father would have done something like this for me

It's 75% awesome, and at least 50% scary. Which leaves a 25% area of questionable awesomeness.

Ishmael
4513th Post

"Re(3):There's an hour-long show about Ideon" , posted Tue 25 Dec 06:27post reply

Seasons Greetings.

KTallguy
1464th Post

"Re(4):There's an hour-long show about Ideon" , posted Tue 25 Dec 14:14post reply

quote:
Seasons Greetings.

Hee hee hee

Oh Merry Xmas too!

Iggy
9408th Post

"Hokuto who?" , posted Tue 25 Dec 20:42post reply

Hokuto no Ken spinoffs have a long history of being totally dumb, but there's a new one being released that seems to try to reach even farther territories of "have we been reading the same manga?" weirdness.

Heart-sama.
Our beloved fatty, one of HnK's more recognisable characters. Who hasn't dreamed of reading more about Heart-sama's younger years, learn how he become like that, what he looked like back then? Well, I haven't, but that's beyound the point.
Ladies and gentleman, let me introduce you to...
Young Heart-sama.

karasu99
1044th Post

"Re(1):Hokuto who?" , posted Wed 26 Dec 04:49post reply

quote:
Hokuto no Ken spinoffs have a long history of being totally dumb, but there's a new one being released that seems to try to reach even farther territories of "have we been reading the same manga?" weirdness.

Heart-sama.
Our beloved fatty, one of HnK's more recognisable characters. Who hasn't dreamed of reading more about Heart-sama's younger years, learn how he become like that, what he looked like back then? Well, I haven't, but that's beyound the point.
Ladies and gentleman, let me introduce you to...
Young Heart-sama.

This is the true Christmas miracle.

www.secret-arts.com

Toxico
5747th Post

"Re(1):Hokuto who?" , posted Wed 26 Dec 07:35post reply

quote:
Who hasn't dreamed of reading more about Heart-sama's younger years, learn how he become like that, what he looked like back then?

Using such extreme appearance change as a basis, do you have so new fond worries for your future?

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

Ishmael
4524th Post

"Re(2):Hokuto who?" , posted Wed 16 Jan 02:19post reply

Mechawhales. I've been laughing about this one for days.