karasu99
857th Post

user profileedit/delete message

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris
Wii: n/a

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Vita talkin" , posted Mon 27 Feb 09:25:post reply

It came as quite a surprise to me today that my Special Lady got me a Vita for my upcoming birthday! I had been thinking I would wait on buying it, but now that I have it I find that it's a really beautiful system. The whole presentation is classy, with an incredibly responsive touchscreen and good feeling buttons and analog sticks, and everything is placed nicely, at least for size of hands. The screen is extremely high quality seeming.

At the moment I only have Lumines (which is fantastic if you like that kind of thing), but I've tried the Uncharted demo (which is... um, just Uncharted) as well and found both to be enjoyable. I'm curious to hear if anyone's tried any of the other games and if so how they've been. I was even considering UMvC3, but my guess is that despite having paid for the DLC in the PS3 version, they would shake me down for it again.

One thing that surprised me was that we were actually able to find Vitas in the store, less than a week after the US launch. I can't think of the last time that happened to me-- usually unless one preorders, a system is practically unobtainable for at least a month or so, barring auction site scalping. I know the Japan launch was underwhelming, but I thought that might not have any relation to how it did the first week in the US.

www.secret-arts.com

[this message was edited by karasu99 on Mon 27 Feb 09:25]

Replies:

Pollyanna
3190th Post

PSN: Lilly_Dopamine
XBL: n/a

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Vita talkin" , posted Mon 27 Feb 09:55post reply

At first I thought, "well, it's no rush", then I played the Gravity Daze demo. Afterwards, I went home and immediately ordered one.

Although systems are in stock, games are not so much. A lot of places had a "buy 2 get 1 free deal", but it was very difficult to take advantage of that unless you wanted Uncharted, Hotshots Golf and Little Deviants. I grabbed the last copies of Lumines and Army Corps of Hell available and there was no Musou or Blazblue to be found anywhere. There are quite a few playworthy games launching with the system, so I'm happy to see that it has a good attach rate.

The system itself is magic. The only things I don't like are that ridiculous (and completely useless) intro movie and the unreasonable amount of difficulty I had moving icons between pages. Maybe that last one is just me.

I am hugely fond of Army Corps of Hell, even though it's a bit of a budget game packaged as something greater. I actually know some of the bands on the soundtrack, so that might tip the game a bit unfairly in my favor. The only thing I don't like is the dialogue. It's extremely boring where they could've made something more amusing out of it. I want things like:

Goblin: Sire, our conquests in battle have renewed the spark in my marriage! Thank you!

King: Fool! Do not become content so easily! You must procure another wife and yet another!

Goblin: O-okay. I shall endeavor to do so, sire.

I could not be convinced to buy MvC3 again, though I may consider getting Blazblue. It isn't worth it for PS3, since I can just play CS2, but I can (barely) justify the Vita purchase to experience the (vaguely) new version.

Gravity Daze and Tales of Innocence R are in the mail. I tried the demos for Lord of Apocalypse and Ragnarok whatever and was entertained, but not impressed. As far as Monster Hunter Clones go, both have decent enemy patterns, making them more fun than God Eater, but the lock-on big combos make it feel more like hitting something with a cardboard tube rather than actually slaying a monster.

One nice thing about Ragnarok is the selection of faces. Although the character creation options are extremely limited on the whole, the faces cover a wide range of character types and show a lot of personality. I don't feel like I "created" much, but I did feel more like I was using an actual character, rather than a decorated avatar.

On a final note, for some reason, I'm tempted to download the PSP Oath in Felghana. It's inexpensive and somehow worth purchasing twice. I don't know why I want to DL a PSP game so badly, but it feels like I should just to take advantage of the opportunity. Consumerism! Still, they need to offer more PSP sale options. So many of the DL versions of these games are grossly overpriced compared to what you can get them for in stores.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

KTallguy
1347th Post

PSN: Hunter-KT

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):Vita talkin" , posted Mon 27 Feb 16:46post reply

I'm not really on the fence, I've already crossed over into wanting a Vita. The question is, will I enjoy Gravity Daze and Lumines enough to justify it... I guess I will.

I really really realllly wish I could play my PSP games on the system......... it's pretty lame.

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

karasu99
857th Post

"Re(3):Vita talkin" , posted Tue 28 Feb 07:40post reply

I picked up BlazBlue as well. I would never have gotten this version on PS3, but it's pretty remarkable to see how impressive it looks on a portable. I'm at a loss to find anything that doesn't look as good as it does on the PS3, but then I'm no expert on the game. I considered getting Ninja Gaiden as well, but I felt like it was an old enough game that I might do well to just hold off and get something I'm really interested in like Disgaea 3.

Still loving the system. The front touch screen is super responsive-- maybe even better than iOS/Android devices. Color is really good and there's none of that 'motion blur' sort of thing that I always noticed on the PSP.

On the subject of the PSP, I agree, it sucks that I have to either rebuy my UMD-based games of whip out the PSP to play them stinks, but Sony has never been fantastic with backward compatibility anyway.

www.secret-arts.com

Toxico
5589th Post

PSN: Toxic-Baron

"Re(1):Vita talkin" , posted Tue 28 Feb 08:10post reply

quote:
It came as quite a surprise to me today that my Special Lady got me a Vita for my upcoming birthday!

That's the best contemporanean way of saying "I have never liked you".

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ
Update 24 as of 21/11/11 (Temporary mega upload link). // 104 personajes traducidos

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 23 as of 20/11/11

Pollyanna
3191th Post

"Re(4):Vita talkin" , posted Tue 28 Feb 11:53post reply

quote:
I really really realllly wish I could play my PSP games on the system......... it's pretty lame.

The Japanese UMD thing seems like such a good deal for Sony, too. If people are willing to pay to play games they already own, it's a waste not to provide that "service" to them.

Again, hopefully they'll be showcasing some PSP game sales soon, as the PSP has a good library of games to hold people over during the Vita's relatively sparse release schedule.

I'm not too discouraged, as it took ages for the PSP to take off and I didn't buy a PS3 for a long time, because there was nothing on it I wanted. It's not until a system has a game that makes me think "I can't live without this" that I buy it, so congrats to Sony for having that on launch day (well, Sony in Japan had it by the time it launched in America at least).

quote:
I picked up BlazBlue as well. I would never have gotten this version on PS3, but it's pretty remarkable to see how impressive it looks on a portable. I'm at a loss to find anything that doesn't look as good as it does on the PS3, but then I'm no expert on the game. I considered getting Ninja Gaiden as well, but I felt like it was an old enough game that I might do well to just hold off and get something I'm really interested in like Disgaea 3.

The new BB is a great package if you haven't already bought the last 2 console releases and a handful of DLC for them. I keep thinking "Maybe I'll pick it up when I can get a good deal", but they might have a new one out by then already.

I've heard that the frame rate in Ninja Gaiden is not great, but if you never played the original, I think it's still worthwhile. Seems like your plate is full enough anyway, though.

Disgaea 3 might be the first game I buy twice, since the last time I bought it was when it came out in Japan and I never got any of the DLC. I was strongly considering getting the DLC for Disgaea 4 and giving it another spin, but I think revisiting 3 might be the better option. If they port 4 to Vita with all the DLC included, I'll be on board for that too. I didn't much care for the first 2 games, but I have a lot of affection for Disgaea 3 and 4.

I hope Tales of Innocence is good. The demo was garbage, but that didn't seem to be the game's fault. It didn't have a sluggish or awkward battle system, so that was enough to sell me. It seems to be better than "okay for a portable Tales game" and I was already ordering Gravity Daze, so...

Jeez, I need to finish Asura's Wrath. I have those Vita games and Kaizoku Musou coming in this week, with SFxT and Mass Effect next week. Bleh!

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

karasu99
858th Post

"Re(5):Vita talkin" , posted Tue 28 Feb 15:15post reply

quote:

I've heard that the frame rate in Ninja Gaiden is not great, but if you never played the original, I think it's still worthwhile. Seems like your plate is full enough anyway, though.

Disgaea 3 might be the first game I buy twice, since the last time I bought it was when it came out in Japan and I never got any of the DLC. I was strongly considering getting the DLC for Disgaea 4 and giving it another spin, but I think revisiting 3 might be the better option. If they port 4 to Vita with all the DLC included, I'll be on board for that too. I didn't much care for the first 2 games, but I have a lot of affection for Disgaea 3 and 4.

I hope Tales of Innocence is good. The demo was garbage, but that didn't seem to be the game's fault. It didn't have a sluggish or awkward battle system, so that was enough to sell me. It seems to be better than "okay for a portable Tales game" and I was already ordering Gravity Daze, so...

A full plate, but I've got a flight from US west coast to Europe in a week so I need lots of ideas. I did play the original, and Black, and Sigma, so I suspect I've played slight variations of exactly the same game three times now. But I went ahead and got Uncharted despite generally disliking the franchise-- I figure it's like watching a romantic comedy to pass the time even though you would never watch one otherwise. We'll see how it is.

So I know the Vita is region free, so can you just set up a second Japanese account? It looked as though there was a 1 account to device arrangement. I may have to look into import things as well.

Regarding BlazBlue, I have CSII, but I thought having a portable, 100% beautiful version was worth it for the $35 I paid. UMvC3 is another matter entirely though.

www.secret-arts.com

Pollyanna
3194th Post

"Re(6):Vita talkin" , posted Tue 28 Feb 16:46:post reply

I liked Uncharted 3 tremendously (even if it's only so good as a game), but so far, the Vita one is really boring. I've done enough death-defying leaps. I need death-defying leaps with everything on fire and upside down and flooded...with lasers. Also, whenever you do a charcoal etching, people have to talk. They really stretched the writers thin, coming up with things to say about charcoal, but evidently it was a big priority!

I dunno. I don't dislike the game, it's just not very exciting. I hope it gets a little more engaging and less like a Sunday stroll.

quote:

So I know the Vita is region free, so can you just set up a second Japanese account?

Unfortunately, you have to "de-link" your account to log into another one...losing all your wallpapers and settings and such and having to watch that obnoxious opening movie again.

Although you can have different users on the PS3 (I have a US account, an Asia account and a Japan account) you can only have one of those "equipped" per memory card on the Vita. Should you be inclined to buy another memory card, one of them can be your "import account card" for downloadables on JP/EU/Asia/whatever PS Stores, so that you just switch out accounts.

I logged into my JP account first, downloaded all the demos I wanted, played them, then restarted the Vita on my US account. This was a pain, but there aren't a lot of demos coming out in the near future that I just have to take advantage of, so I'll deal with that problem when it comes.

As for import GAMES, it doesn't matter. You put it in and it plays. It might get ugly with DLC, but again, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. At first, I thought it would be more cost effective to buy network cards and download JP games, but that's not really the case, especially when there are Asian versions available.

I hope this made sense at least on some level. I can help you out more specifically if you need it.

EDIT: Checked on the system, the actual thing you do is called "Restoring the PS Vita System". It gives you the option to wipe your memory card, which you do not want to do. Then it restarts, you do the intro again with your new PS Network account, get what you want and repeat the process to get back to your old account. Demos DO carry over, so I imagine DLC and such might as well. I'll have to try it on something small, like a costume for Tales of Innocence once I get it.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

[this message was edited by Pollyanna on Tue 28 Feb 18:02]

badoor
252th Post

PSN: BadoorSNK
XBL: BadoorSNK
Wii: PSVITA:BadoorUSA

Copper Customer

"Re(7):Vita talkin" , posted Tue 28 Feb 21:09post reply

I bought a VITA at launch and I'm enjoying it. The launch line up is pretty good, though a lot of them can be summed up as "X game is like old version of X but now on a beautiful OLED". If there was Gravity Daze/Rush and a REAL Ridge Racer, it would have been an amazing line-up.

I got Wipeout, Uncharted, Hot Shots Golf, Shinobido 2, and Super Stardust. And I'm planning to get Blazblue next cause I usually buy every other iteration of ASW fighters.

Wipeout is fantastic. It looks great and is just good pure arcade racing fun. Uncharted is a full Uncharted game made by only using "Filler" parts (The shooting & climbing parts of Uncharted) with little of the crazy setpieces and is only set in jungley looking places with none of the Globe-Trotting. And charcoal rubbings.

As for Shinobido 2, I want to love this game as I loved Tenchu back in the day, but the controls are extremely slippery and the collision detection is just terrible (Have fun getting stuck at stairs, even Belmonts were more flexible at it). And the regular combat stuff isn't very dependable, whether that's intentional to emphasize stealth or just bad programming.

But most of the time, when you're doing Tenchu stuff like sneaking around, jumping between roofs, killing fat merchants, and letting guards eat poison rice it becomes great. And I love the metagame RPG-ish aspects like Daimyo loyalties that effect upcoming missions and such. It reminds me of Peace Walker.

What I think is how account management works: You can change to as many accounts as you can on a single memory card without formatting it, using Polly's method, so the data remains there safe. But with purchased games you can only play them with the "Owner" account. Some, not all, of the demos can be played by other accounts. That's why I had to switch to my US account, my old main "Purchasing" account, on my VITA as my main "Playing games" account. Feel free to add me (BadoorUSA, as is written in the...Wii Friends code section of my profile)

karasu99
860th Post

"Re(7):Vita talkin" , posted Wed 29 Feb 03:16post reply

quote:
As for import GAMES, it doesn't matter. You put it in and it plays. It might get ugly with DLC, but again, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. At first, I thought it would be more cost effective to buy network cards and download JP games, but that's not really the case, especially when there are Asian versions available.

I had been thinking that we were heading toward a point where a US account could download demos and buy games from the JP store (Apple essentially allows this, for example, in the iTunes store) especially since Sony has been moving towards a region-agnostic approach with the PS3 and Vita being region free and players from all over the world being able to play against each other, but oh well. At the moment there aren't all that many JP games I'm interested in, so... yeah.

I had looked at Shinobido, but as much as I tend to disregard reviews, something like 90% of them talked about all the things you mentioned as being frustrating, so I decided to pass. I'd love a well-made Tenchu for the Vita though! I also passed on Katamari No-Vita (ugh, the US name is head-smackingly dumb), at least for the moment, because I feel like I've been playing that exact same set of stages for like 8 years now. I love the series a lot, but I wish they would work up the courage to toss the existing content entirely. I'd gladly pay the $25 for the download version if it was just all new stages.

I continue to be amazed at how good BlazBlue looks!

www.secret-arts.com

sibarraz
360th Post

PSN: n/a
XBL: sibarraz4life

Silver Customer

"Re(8):Vita talkin" , posted Wed 29 Feb 14:22post reply

Well, what could I said, I felt hyped by the vita but slowly has died down

The system is good I guess, but the games are really unexcting

1) Gravity Rush: I really can't understand the concept of the game to a point where I could enjoy it, I don't know if the game is good or bad, but the kind of genre is not my type

2) Fifa: I felt that the frame rate was really bad in comparission with the bigger consoles, in the rest, well, is fifa, I guess that is a game that works on a handleheld device

3) Virtua tennis: Looked fine, but my problem with VT is that since the third version, I felt that the game has the core basics from always, but that is not as entertaining as the first 2 entries, so I get bored quickly, I couldn't describe why

4) Uncharted: Hated the demo, the touch parts felt really unnecesary, and overall I couldn't find it entertaining

5) Little Deviants: Only Nintendo knows how to make this mini games compilations

Overall, nothing seems exciting from the near future, but I thought the same from the 3ds, and slowly is getting better, so I will give it a chance, but the vita feels a little overprices for me, at least the price for the handleheld is fine, if you don't consider that you need another 100 dollars to get a decent memory card, my friend a 4gb memory and could only download the Uncharted demo plus other demo before the thing getting full

karasu99
863th Post

"Re(9):Vita talkin" , posted Thu 1 Mar 03:42:post reply

quote:
Well, what could I said, I felt hyped by the vita but slowly has died down

The system is good I guess, but the games are really unexcting

Overall, nothing seems exciting from the near future, but I thought the same from the 3ds, and slowly is getting better, so I will give it a chance, but the vita feels a little overprices for me, at least the price for the handleheld is fine, if you don't consider that you need another 100 dollars to get a decent memory card, my friend a 4gb memory and could only download the Uncharted demo plus other demo before the thing getting full

Well, yeah, this generation of handhelds has suffered from a general lack of extremely exciting titles, that's for sure, but there are some decent ones mixed in I think. With the Vita it seems like everyone is just waiting until Monster Hunter comes out to buy, at which point the frenzy will begin. It must have been some convoluted strategy involved in deciding to release it now rather than wait for the 'killer' game.

I tried the Dynasty Warriors NEXT and Katamari No-Vita demos last night and found them both to be surprisingly good. I had been seriously gun shy of DW since the abysmal PSP games, but despite a few irritating changes to the formula (strongholds have 'hit points' that you have to reduce by killing commanders and grunts in huge numbers) and to controls (of course involving touch events in duels and for musou attacks-- although to be fair, you're given the option to use button controls instead) the game looks really good and feels solid. I'm not sure I'd buy it at full price, it's still far from a bad game. As for Katamari, it controls really well with the twin sticks. Of course an option is there to use touch controls for several actions, but who in their right mind would ever do that? Compared to the PSP game (and especially the iOS games) this one looks and feels fantastic. Still, like I said before, it's the same game I played back in 2004, only portable, which only counts for so much. The digital version is $25, and the download size is well under 1GB, so I may consider getting it at some point.

Speaking of download size, I went for the 8GB memory card, which has proven to be enough to hold at least 3 or 4 games or demos, and it was priced relatively reasonably (for a scalping-ish proprietary format card) at $25. It seemed like the best bet cost and size-wise, since 4GB seemed small for its cost, and the 16 and 32GB cards seemed expensive for their size. I figure I can delete games I already finished, since the save data is separately stored... right? I know that that's how I manage content on my PS3-- I just delete games I'm not currently playing, and then DL them again if I decide I want to play.

www.secret-arts.com

[this message was edited by karasu99 on Thu 1 Mar 03:44]

Pollyanna
3194th Post

"Re(10):Vita talkin" , posted Thu 1 Mar 14:11post reply

Is there a list somewhere of what games can be remote played? I know PS1 games and the first Blazblue can, but other than that, I have no clue. It seems like a neat feature, but I might have to get creative to find an actual use for it.

quote:
As for Shinobido 2, I want to love this game as I loved Tenchu back in the day, but the controls are extremely slippery and the collision detection is just terrible (Have fun getting stuck at stairs, even Belmonts were more flexible at it).

Wow. How can you screw up stairs THAT badly?

One of my favorite video game moments ever comes from the first Tenchu. It was right before the last area with the lava (it's been a while, so my memory is fuzzy). It was some sort of courtyard, and I eventually got all the guards and all the dogs in the entire area chasing me. I then leapt into knee-deep water and watched them all follow me and drown (with their heads above water).

I can't say I've ever really liked any of those games, but they all seem to come with hilarious AI stories.

quote:
I figure I can delete games I already finished, since the save data is separately stored... right? I know that that's how I manage content on my PS3-- I just delete games I'm not currently playing, and then DL them again if I decide I want to play.

Yeah, that's not a problem. That would be unreasonably cruel otherwise.

quote:
Well, yeah, this generation of handhelds has suffered from a general lack of extremely exciting titles, that's for sure, but there are some decent ones mixed in I think.

Although the 3DS is building up a pretty good library, I'm thankful that it hasn't had THAT game I have to get the system for. I don't have anything against it, but I'd like to wait for a revision (with the 2nd analog) and/or a workaround for the region lock.

The Vita's success in Japan seems entirely dependent on Monster Hunter, sadly, but as long as it does well over there, I'm happy (seeing as 98% of the PSP games I play are imports). My question is what will it have to do to succeed in America? It obviously has enough bells and whistles and its had a pretty strong launch (at least comparatively) in terms of software.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

sibarraz
361th Post

PSN: n/a
XBL: sibarraz4life

Silver Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Vita talkin" , posted Thu 1 Mar 15:22post reply

A cheaper price honestly, i felt the vita really expensive at the moment, and I'm sure that this ''app generation'' will think the same, and that considering that i'm not a big fan of app games

chazumaru
866th Post

"Re(9):Vita talkin" , posted Thu 1 Mar 22:53post reply

I bought one in Japan last Christmas.

Mingol 6:
Pretty good version, although the tracks are too gimmicky. As always, a great #2 game for launch, especially as the JP launch did not feature a single puzzle game.

Mahvel 3:
I am not sure why I bought it.

Unch:
Better than I expected. Slow start but solid adventure throughout. The ending is actually more satisfying than Unch 3's. See my end of the year post for the detailed uncharted Ass analysis.

Army Corps of Hell:
Quite funny and more original than the rest of the launch line-up... Then two months later you kinda wonder why you spent so much time on such a limited and repetitive game. The Pen Pen Triicelon of Vita launch.

Gravity Daze:
By far the most interesting game so far. The demo was amazing. The beginning of the game confirms those positive impressions. Unfortunately Theatrhythm suddenly made everything else disappear in a black hole so I haven't played past the first hour.

Rayman:
Got it in the mail but haven't played it yet. Seems like a pretty good platformer for launch if you don't mind the lack of multiplayer.

無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は

badoor
255th Post

PSN: BadoorSNK
XBL: BadoorSNK
Wii: PSVITA:BadoorUSA

Copper Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Vita talkin" , posted Fri 2 Mar 00:35:post reply

quote:

One of my favorite video game moments ever comes from the first Tenchu. It was right before the last area with the lava (it's been a while, so my memory is fuzzy). It was some sort of courtyard, and I eventually got all the guards and all the dogs in the entire area chasing me. I then leapt into knee-deep water and watched them all follow me and drown (with their heads above water).

I can't say I've ever really liked any of those games, but they all seem to come with hilarious AI stories.
And there's more of that in Shinobido 2, thanks to the always hilarity-inducing buggy middleware called Havok physics. I'm honestly appreciating the game's "Jankyess" more and more. In one mission, I had to assassinate a general residing deep in the back side of a huge fortress that's surrounded by cliffs. So naturally, I was able to climb the perimeter cliff and walk between the thin line separating the cliff's edge and the invisible wall that sections off the playable area of the map and easily reached the back-side. Then, I lured my target into a trap with a cannon that infinitely shoots exploding boulder-size spiky cannonballs. My target got stuck in "Rag-Doll" mode being continuously shot by the spiky cannonballs until he died. The poor man's AI needed a longer time for him to "reset" back into normal mode than the cannon's rate of fire. And I got an A-Grade for my efforts.

[this message was edited by badoor on Fri 2 Mar 00:50]

KTallguy
1350th Post

PSN: Hunter-KT

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(3):Re(10):Vita talkin" , posted Fri 2 Mar 03:22post reply

All these Shinobido impressions are totally on point with the time I spent with it at TGS. They're making games like it's 1994 and loving it.

Good Gravity Daze impressions make me feel happy though. Also Lumines...

Anyone having freezing issues or screen issues?

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

nobinobita
1039th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(2):Re(10):Vita talkin" , posted Fri 2 Mar 04:35post reply

quote:
My question is what will it have to do to succeed in America? It obviously has enough bells and whistles and its had a pretty strong launch (at least comparatively) in terms of software.

It needs to be a phone. The sexiest phone on the market. Only then will people justify the initial purchase price. And then they'll let their kids download games on it.

www.art-eater.com

Ishmael
4324th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b

"Re(3):Re(10):Vita talkin" , posted Fri 2 Mar 05:42post reply

quote:
I can't say I've ever really liked any of those games, but they all seem to come with hilarious AI stories. And there's more of that in Shinobido 2, thanks to the always hilarity-inducing buggy middleware called Havok physics. I'm honestly appreciating the game's "Jankyess" more and more. In one mission, I had to assassinate a general residing deep in the back side of a huge fortress that's surrounded by cliffs. So naturally, I was able to climb the perimeter cliff and walk between the thin line separating the cliff's edge and the invisible wall that sections off the playable area of the map and easily reached the back-side. Then, I lured my target into a trap with a cannon that infinitely shoots exploding boulder-size spiky cannonballs. My target got stuck in "Rag-Doll" mode being continuously shot by the spiky cannonballs until he died. The poor man's AI needed a longer time for him to "reset" back into normal mode than the cannon's rate of fire. And I got an A-Grade for my efforts.

That reminds me of the time in the original Tenchu where I tossed a rice ball into a pool of lava and then watched an enemy climb down into an active volcano and incinerate himself in an attempt to retrieve it. That guy really wanted that rice ball. Tenchu remains one of my favorite games in spite of -or, perhaps, because of- nonsense like that.

As for the Vita, I agree that it probably does need to go down in price before it catches on. Unless you are really dedicated to handheld gaming the current pricing feels like a steep investment.

Maou
2309th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Vita talkin" , posted Fri 2 Mar 06:36post reply

quote:
As for the Vita, I agree that it probably does need to go down in price before it catches on.
Yeah, even more than with consoles like Wii, it feels these days like a handheld benefits from Nintendo's cheaper, "less is more" approach given how much phones are making inroads, especially abroad.
quote:
TENCHU oafs
I like the sound of these guys even more than the crack team of "Huh? Just a box." Foxhound soldiers from the first MGS.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Pollyanna
3195th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Vita talkin" , posted Fri 2 Mar 20:32post reply

I don't think the Vita is overpriced at all. When they first announced its specs, everyone expected it to be ludicrously expensive, and most people who were interested seemed to be pleased with the final price point. I'm sure Sony is losing money on it as is and only making it up with their (I assume intentionally) overpriced and undersized memory cards.

However, I understand that people are not necessarily saying "the Vita is overpriced" but rather "I'm not willing to pay that much for it", which is more or less "I'm not really interested". So it's not like "what should Sony do to succeed with the Vita?", but rather "Sony shouldn't have made it in the first place."

I'm still holding on to the notion that a Monster Hunter release could turn it into Japan's next generation console of choice, since I'm not exactly sure that one of those ever emerged.

quote:
That reminds me of the time in the original Tenchu where I tossed a rice ball into a pool of lava and then watched an enemy climb down into an active volcano and incinerate himself in an attempt to retrieve it.

I love that if you hang around long enough, those guys will walk into the lava (just barely) and their foot will set on fire. The fire will gradually spread until they scream in terror and...run into the lava.

quote:
Badoor's amazing tale

I hope A rank is the best, because you deserve nothing less than the highest accolade for that.

quote:
Unch:
Better than I expected. Slow start but solid adventure throughout. The ending is actually more satisfying than Unch 3's.

This is good news, as I find the game horrendously boring right now.

quote:
Army Corps of Hell:
Quite funny and more original than the rest of the launch line-up... Then two months later you kinda wonder why you spent so much time on such a limited and repetitive game.

This game soured on me VERY quickly. I like the theme and the way it plays and I can even get over the fact that it has like...practically no content whatsoever, but I can't forgive the level design. With as little as they have going on with the game, they needed to get much more creative. The core of the game is strong enough to make something simple but addictive at least...but they just didn't stretch their imaginations far enough.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

karasu99
867th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Vita talkin" , posted Sat 3 Mar 02:58post reply

quote:
However, I understand that people are not necessarily saying "the Vita is overpriced" but rather "I'm not willing to pay that much for it", which is more or less "I'm not really interested". So it's not like "what should Sony do to succeed with the Vita?", but rather "Sony shouldn't have made it in the first place."

I think this is a really good distinction to make-- I feel the same way about the 3DS, which I'll get around to buying someday. But as far as the Vita goes, given the apparent quality of the device, I'm surprised it clocks in so low. If I recall, it's even cheaper than the PSP was when I bought it.
quote:

Tenchu stories

These had me laughing for quite a while, especially Badoor's. While it seems pretty laughable and unrealistic for a series that's at least pseudo-realistic in nature, it says a lot that it can be played in that way and not be a glitched out mess otherwise. Really though it makes me want to play Tenchu again!

Wow, Gravity Daze looks fantastic, but it stinks that while a localization is coming, it's not until June! I should note that the Japanese language content doesn't worry me-- the price does. It seems like the price of importing a game has risen quite a bit over the past year.

www.secret-arts.com

chazumaru
867th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Vita talkin" , posted Sat 3 Mar 09:53post reply

quote:
But as far as the Vita goes, given the apparent quality of the device, I'm surprised it clocks in so low. If I recall, it's even cheaper than the PSP was when I bought it.

Don't forget you are forced to buy a memory card, which adds ¥3,000~¥10,000 to the bill depending on the size. Otherwise, I do not know in which country you live but the PSP was cheaper at launch in pretty much every country. In Japan it started at ¥20,000 (officially it was "open price" but that was the average) whereas the Vita and the 3DS both started at ¥25,000.

無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は