Video Games in the Fringe Alternate Universe - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2702 Views )

Burning Ranger
1701th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Video Games in the Fringe Alternate Universe" , posted Sun 29 Jan 04:19post reply

For those who've never seen the show Fringe, it's about a team of FBI and scientists who investigate scientific anomalies and instances of "Fringe science" (like the X-files, but without aliens). One of the running plotlines is the existence of a parallel universe that is similar to the regular universe but has significant differences. For example, the World Trade Center never collapsed, President Kennedy was never assassinated, air travel occurs in blimps, the Statue of Liberty is brown, etc.

It got me thinking: what would video games be like in this alternate world? Events that never happened in our world could have easily happened over there.

Any thoughts? I'll go first:

- Super Mario Bros 2 was released both in Japan and the US; the US version of SMB2, a port of Doki Doki Panic, never existed
- In 1994, Nintendo releases the Nintendo Playstation, a joint collaboration with Sony

So much to do so little time...

Replies:

Gieflos
72th Post

PSN: pooplos-z
XBL: PooplosZ
Wii: n/a

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Video Games in the Fringe Alternate Uni" , posted Sun 29 Jan 04:33post reply

What an ambitious topic! I'll give it a shot.

Megaman Legends 3 is such an amazing game! I can't take my hands off of it.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
The bait and switch with T.Bonne blew my mind!!!

End of Spoiler

Also, I can't mention the game without talking about the excellent Alph Lyla soundtrack. I never thought they could top the Street Fighter 4 soundtrack, but here I am whisked away by their smooth tunes.

kofoguz
970th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(2):Video Games in the Fringe Alternate Uni" , posted Sun 29 Jan 07:46post reply

quote:
What an ambitious topic! I'll give it a shot.

Megaman Legends 3 is such an amazing game! I can't take my hands off of it. Also, I can't mention the game without talking about the excellent Alph Lyla soundtrack. I never thought they could top the Street Fighter 4 soundtrack, but here I am whisked away by their smooth tunes.

Street fighters finally gains popularity in the US. This year SNK is set to releasae this fall The Root of Badness/ Biological Trash 6.
King of Fighters XIII Mega Home Edition will be available as all of cities arcades. Just ask your local arcade. It will be available tomorrow.

sibarraz
338th Post

PSN: n/a
XBL: sibarraz4life

Bronze Customer

"Re(3):Video Games in the Fringe Alternate Uni" , posted Sun 29 Jan 09:35post reply

Why Yamamoto decided to put the megaman from the japanese boxart in Darkstalkers vs Virtua Fighter, I want to see the real megaman, at least Ono is doing an amazing Job with Art of Fighting IV

sfried
751th Post

PSN: My3DSFriendCode
XBL: isdownbellow
Wii: 279306128909

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(4):Video Games in the Fringe Alternate Uni" , posted Sun 29 Jan 14:20post reply

Going off Burning Ranger's post:
1998: Guilty Gear bombs and Arc System folds and gets absorbed by SNK.
1999: Sega releases the Dreamcast (powered by 3dfx) to combat Nintendo Playstation.
2001: Nintendo and Sony announce the StarCube. Sega announces partnership with Microsoft for their next system, dubbed the Segabox.
2004: SNK/Arc System Works announces the NEWAVE system.

Burning Ranger
1703th Post

"Re(5):Video Games in the Fringe Alternate Uni" , posted Mon 30 Jan 01:42:post reply

quote:
Going off Burning Ranger's post:
1999: Sega releases the Dreamcast (powered by 3dfx) to combat Nintendo Playstation.
2001: Nintendo and Sony announce the StarCube. Sega announces partnership with Microsoft for their next system, dubbed the Segabox.
2004: SNK/Arc System Works announces the NEWAVE system.

1998: Capcom releases Resident Evil 2 for the Nintendo Playstation. In it, you help cop Leon Kennedy and college student Elza Walker fight a horde of zombies in Raccoon City.
2005: Nintendo and Namco collaborate on Starfox Assault for the Nintendo Starcube. It's a near perfect port of the arcade version (but IMHO, Starfox 2 for the SNES will always be the best in the series)...

[this message was edited by Burning Ranger on Mon 30 Jan 01:46]

kofoguz
971th Post

"Re(6):Video Games in the Fringe Alternate Uni" , posted Mon 30 Jan 02:34post reply

2000: Capcom announces bankruptcy all the money from SVC goes to SNK.
2001: Capcom comes back as Capcom Rollmore.

Burning Ranger
1703th Post

"Re(1):Video Games in the Fringe Alternate Uni" , posted Mon 30 Jan 05:26post reply

Did anyone play Ultimate DC vs Capcom 3 yet? I'm glad Red Lantern finally made the cast. (Ha! I actually used a Fringe reference in that one!)

karasu99
837th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

"Re(5):Video Games in the Fringe Alternate Uni" , posted Mon 30 Jan 06:20post reply

I'm not really familiar with Fringe, but I've read quite a lot of parallel universe fiction. And just like a lot of that kind of thing, it makes me unaccountably sentimental for things that never were. This one in particular got me:

quote:

Maybe it's because it plays off of my sentimentally for the old SNK. Or maybe it's just that it's a dreary, drizzly Sunday afternoon?

www.secret-arts.com

Burning Ranger
1704th Post

"Re(6):Video Games in the Fringe Alternate Uni" , posted Mon 30 Jan 08:41post reply

quote:
I'm not really familiar with Fringe, but I've read quite a lot of parallel universe fiction. And just like a lot of that kind of thing, it makes me unaccountably sentimental for things that never were.

The beauty about Fringe is that the parallel universe's differences don't have a big role in the overall story. It's fairly a background thing, with a lot of the emphasis on characters and plot.

But the differences are interesting. In one episode, there's a scene that occurs outside of a movie theater for Back to the Future, starring Eric Stoltz. Which is cool because a lot of BttF was filmed with Stoltz as the lead, but then the production changed to Michael J Fox.

Another background difference is DC comics... there's a scene showing the covers of DC comic books in the other universe. The producers actually got DC to make the fake covers (you can see them at http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2010/05/21/geoff-johns-and-hank-kanalz-on-last-night%e2%80%99s-fringe-alternate-universe-covers/).

Anyway...off to play Propeller Arena on my Dreamcast...

sibarraz
340th Post

PSN: n/a
XBL: sibarraz4life

Bronze Customer

"Re(7):Video Games in the Fringe Alternate Uni" , posted Mon 30 Jan 13:36post reply

Anyone else enjoying daikatana 5?

I'm proud to say that I'm a John Romero's bitch

ZamIAm
1814th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(8):Video Games in the Fringe Alternate Uni" , posted Mon 30 Jan 16:06post reply

Shenmue 4 was quite mind blowing. One of the best big name titles out there and to think they challenged themselves to make it on such a small budget.

Loona
504th Post

PSN: IkariLoona
XBL: n/a

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(9):Video Games in the Fringe Alternate Uni" , posted Mon 30 Jan 19:35post reply

The Capcom Fighting All-Stars sequels have been nice (more Haggar's always nice, but I'm getting tired of those Poison-centric ads), but I wonder if we'll ever see another actual Street Fighter game, after SF3 bombed Capcom just grew too weary to touch that again - but hey, at least the next God Hand has a co-op mode. That player 2 artwork's looking interesting and they're focusing an aful lot on it lately just as SNK Vs Capcom 3 was announced...

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Megane
557th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(10):Video Games in the Fringe Alternate Un" , posted Tue 31 Jan 14:19post reply

Umm...

What's a Street Fighter?

PSN:BlakeMaxwell3

Gojira
2813th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
Wii: 80085

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):Re(10):Video Games in the Fringe Altern" , posted Tue 31 Jan 15:54post reply

So, how about that Final Fantasy VIII? That takes me back, so much potential but it never got finished, did it. I think it was technically the last video game to ever come out anywhere after the Second and Third Great VG Crashes.

Speaking of which, boy that really sucked, didn't it? Especially what happened to Sega, just terrible luck there.

But recently I saw an article in the Feb '12 issue of Kotaku Magazine that Microsoft might be getting Miyamoto out of prison so he can work on games again. Probably just a rumor, but still. I mean who could possibly give that guy lenience for what he did? We won't forget you Sega!

chazumaru
861th Post

"Re(10):Video Games in the Fringe Alternate Un" , posted Tue 31 Jan 16:11post reply

2001: Capcom comes back as Capcom Rollmore. You mean Trollmore, amarite

Here are three parallel universes I find interesting.

1. EA supports Dreamcast
Interesting for Europe because it happens right before the explosion on PES. Much more interesting in the US because it begs the question of how Dreamcast would have survived the first two years of PS2, but also would have not required EA to go through an exclusive deal with the NFL, which means somebody else might have tried their luck as a competitor later on (THQ? Take-Two?). Also, no 2K series means no NBA 2K, which means a very different situation for the sports game scene right now. And possibly, this would have altered Peter Moore's career. Most importantly, I am curious how much Madden+Dreamcast and FIFA+Dreamcast would have sped-up the adoption of online among gamers. It might have created a very different eco-system, further inciting Microsoft to swallow Dreamcast into their XBox project.

2. Final Fantasy The Spirits Within is a smash hit
Final Fantasy becomes the most valuable multimedia franchise after Star Wars,No Square-Enix fusion, no Wada in 2012, no Sakaguchi departure, no Blue Dragon as flagship title for Xbox 360's shortlived Japanese career, Lost Odyssey becomes Final Fantasy XIII, The Last Story disappears, no control from Kitase, better handling or worse handling of FF12, more FF movies and who knows what happens to Enix and Dragon Quest, which means who knows what happens to Level Five. I really thought that was the most interesting theoretical parallel universe in "recent" memory, until I remembered...

3. The SegaBandai merger
That should have happened in 1996. Sega's only year as a market leader in Japan, making tons of money from arcades and especially the Purikura boom, hitting it big with Evangelion, against a struggling Bandai looking for solutions. Then, when everyone thinks they are going to combine in order to face Nintendo (they had both confirmed advanced talks), Tamagotchi becomes a phenomenon and Bandai gives up the merger.

Let's think what this changes for a second. No more NamcoBandai of course, but maybe SegaBandai absorbs Namco at a later point. Or Namco finds someone else (Microsoft? Merger with TakaraTomy?). More importantly, suddenly Sega is a much bigger brand and the synergy with Bandai provides them enough contents to trouble Nintendo in the kids market. Wonderswan does not exist but maybe Yokoi creates a new Sega handheld. Maybe Sega drops from the home console race after a few years, but most likely, they focus on the Japanese market and make a good living there, changing the direction of Dreamcast (probably as a crappier machine).

無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は

Spoon
2279th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):Re(10):Video Games in the Fringe Altern" , posted Tue 31 Jan 23:39post reply

Peter Molyneux continues to sell baked beans and never accidentally gets shipped computer by a company that can't spell. Whether this would actually prevent him from making Dungeon Keeper or Syndicate or Populous from sheer ennui is unknown.

After the uninspiring performance of Street Fighter 1, Street Fighter 2 does not get approved, especially after Nin is unable to convince the board that SIX BUTTONS would make the game easier to play. The arcade surge of the 90s which was partly powered by fighting games fails to happen, and mmcafe never exists except as a hardcore Viewpoint fansite.

Sierra is bought earlier by CUC International, and as a result of the corporate turmoil does not finance Half-Life 1. Valve is unable to find the funding to finish the Half-Life project, and the game remains a glorious Quake 1 total conversion that is never fully realized. Steam never happens.

Yamauchi's love hotel venture with Nintendo proves wildly successful, and Gunpei Yokoi's retractable hand is still purposed into the Ultra Hand, except that it is a sex toy. Gunpei Yokoi goes on to become a world renowned sex toy/game designer, though is sullied by the scandalous "Game Boy" project.

Nekros
411th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Video Games in the Fringe Altern" , posted Wed 1 Feb 02:37:post reply

Woah, Fringe-sploitation here!
Kinda dig the first two seasons but from the third and the crappy-forced-love-triangle the whole thing bombed hard to me. Recently I'm rewatching X-Files and I find it better in many ways.

Let me try with this parallel universe thing:

Is anyone excited by the new Sega Kirin coming? It will be unveiled ad E3, it is rumored to be supported by many interesting developers and Sega itself promises us a new Shing Force and -finally!- Panzer Dragoon Genos. It will support most of the games from 16-32 bit era, now remastered in HD such Streets Of Rage 4, Segasonic, Gunstar Heroes Neo, Eternal Champions vs Virtua Fighter and so on.
And SNK is launching a portable version of the NewWave system, compatible with most of their licensed dumps.

I'm still plugging my PCEngine2000 during the wait, I can't stop playing Bomberman'08!
Oh yes, recently Capcom announces a new version of Street Fighter 3 playable online, assuring that will be arcade perfect port, like the Katana one (still exclusive except for the NG port on Nintendo Station 64). And they assured that Street Fighter 4 is coming but they keep it secret. The only things sure are all the cast from 3rd Strike returning and that will be in 2D hand drawn sprites. Probabibly it will be something with the beautiful graphic engine of Vampire Requiem and Dirge Blade (aka Crude Blade in the US, the sequel to Warzard).
Some casual gamer may argue that this generation is poor in terms of party game and fps, but there's a MediaStation (remember when they were called PC? "Personal" no more sadly!) to play them, so don't complain to us console gamers.

Too bad the Jaguar was a failure even in a parallel universe (cart versus CDs? Compete with Saturn and HyperNes? Lol!)

[this message was edited by Nekros on Tue 7 Feb 23:27]

karasu99
838th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Video Games in the Fringe Altern" , posted Wed 1 Feb 05:22post reply

quote:
Too bad the Jaguar was a failure even in a parallel universe

Well, but Atari wasn't, at least not after that expensive experiment! The Ocelot is a fantastic console that shows that cart-based systems still have legs! And full backward compatibility with the Serval and the ST-EX computer was pretty sweet too! I'm really glad so many companies are going the extra mile to let us play games from earlier console generations on the newer systems, even if it makes them a little more expensive. Wouldn't it stink if we kept having to pay for NES games over and over just to play them on the latest hardware? Plus I just got the keyboard for the Ocelot the other day so I can write homebrew games directly on the system itself.

Anybody play Grim Fandango IV yet?

www.secret-arts.com

sfried
753th Post

PSN: My3DSFriendCode
XBL: isdownbellow
Wii: 279306128909

"Re(2):Re(10):Video Games in the Fringe Altern" , posted Wed 1 Feb 07:42:post reply

quote:
2. Final Fantasy The Spirits Within is a smash hit
Final Fantasy becomes the most valuable multimedia franchise after Star Wars,No Square-Enix fusion, no Wada in 2012, no Sakaguchi departure, no Blue Dragon as flagship title for Xbox 360's shortlived Japanese career, Lost Odyssey becomes Final Fantasy XIII, The Last Story disappears, no control from Kitase, better handling or worse handling of FF12, more FF movies and who knows what happens to Enix and Dragon Quest...
Around that period, Tetsuya Nomura is relegated from being a character designer to an overworld and scenario artist. One has to wonder why all of his settings resemble Shibuya though...

[this message was edited by sfried on Wed 1 Feb 07:43]

karasu99
839th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Video Games in the Fringe Altern" , posted Wed 1 Feb 10:36post reply

By the way, I meant to thank Chaz for the thinking man's alternate universe scenarios. They made for great food for thought!

Meanwhile, since I represent the dumb side of things, after Chaz's one comment about Bandai and Tamagotchi, I was going to remark about how different things would be absent Pokemon as a phenomenon, but I can't really think of a way that it wouldn't have become one, short of it ceasing to be created entirely. It was one of the first franchises I can think of that was built to be 100% merchandizable.

www.secret-arts.com