New Neo Geo handheld announced (not kidding) - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3488 Views )

chazumaru
856th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"New Neo Geo handheld announced (not kidding)" , posted Wed 25 Jan 16:33:post reply

http://imgur.com/Vsj5N.jpg
http://imgur.com/iQbv8.jpg
http://imgur.com/JTWgn.jpg
http://imgur.com/tUiKt.jpg
http://imgur.com/FRdzQ.jpg

I think this warrants a dedicated topic.

quote:
Famicom Plaza has a look at at the new device, which carries official licensing from SNK Playmore. The device has 4.3 inch screen, two gigabytes of internal storage, and ships with 20 Neo Geo classics built in:

1.WORLD HEROES
2.ULTIMATE 11
3.TOP PLAYER'S GOLF
4.SENGOKU
5.NAM-1975
6.MUTATION NATION
7.LAST RESORT
8.KING OF THE MONSTERS
9.FOOTBALL FRENZY
10.CYBER LIP
11.FATAL FURY SPECIAL
12.ART OF FIGHTING
13.SUPER SIDEKICKS
14.LEAGUE BOWLING
15.METAL SLUG
16.MAGICIAN LORD
17.BASEBALL STARS PROFESSIONAL
18.SAMURAI SHODOWN
19.KING OF FIGHTERS '94
20.FATAL FURY

The games are all the North American versions with English.

No details yet on pricing or release date. Famicom Plaza's report does not list the maker or provide ordering information.

http://andriasang.com/comzr4/neo_geo_pocket_2/
http://www.famicom-plaza.com/blog/2012/01/0125-neogeopoket2.html

Similar to the recent Mega Drive / SFC but this one is fully licensed by SNK and the quality of the model shown is way higher than usual. Interesting!
I am a bit perplex at some choices in the title list, though.

無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Wed 25 Jan 18:54]

Replies:

Toxico
5567th Post

PSN: Toxic-Baron
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):New Neo Geo handheld announced (not kid" , posted Wed 25 Jan 17:12:post reply

Me, as I read this topic

I loved how Chaz reaction was also as such that he was completely unable to properly hotlinking the images in the thread

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ
Update 24 as of 21/11/11 (Temporary mega upload link). // 104 personajes traducidos

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 23 as of 20/11/11

[this message was edited by Toxico on Wed 25 Jan 17:15]

sibarraz
329th Post

PSN: n/a
XBL: sibarraz4life

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):New Neo Geo handheld announced (not kid" , posted Wed 25 Jan 18:26post reply

I hope badly that this is true

Things that will make it completely awesome

- Option to at least connect the console to other handleheld, online gaming will be too much to askI guess

- Option to buy more games, if you can mix with 80's SNK and NGPC will be incredible, more if somehow you can get other arcade games

Those are the only 2 things that I really want

chazumaru
856th Post

"Re(3):New Neo Geo handheld announced (not kid" , posted Wed 25 Jan 18:57post reply

Oops I forgot the formatting is different on MMC.

Sibarraz, for sure it's true. Now, let's hope it's actually decent.

Loona
499th Post

PSN: IkariLoona

Gold Customer

"Re(4):New Neo Geo handheld announced (not kid" , posted Wed 25 Jan 19:48post reply

I hope that directional button matches the NGPC's and that its software will become available for it too - although I'm worried about contractual restrictions on the release of stuff like the SvC games, since this probably wasn't antecipated when they were conceived, so it might be necessary to come up with new contracts to use them, and it might cost more than SNKP could afford...

Still, I'm definitely interested - I've held back on buying the the PSN store those old titles I already have for the PS2 and bought everything else SNKP released there, but I guess I could repurchase for packs like this.

It would be really nice if eventually they'd release SS5 Special on this though.

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

chazumaru
857th Post

"Re(5):New Neo Geo handheld announced (not kid" , posted Wed 25 Jan 21:06post reply

There is no way they make something that complicated. Either they allow playing ROMs via SD cards, or they would release new versions with other games inside. But I think it is unrealistic to dream for any kind of electronic shop.

Ishmael
4298th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b

"Re(6):New Neo Geo handheld announced (not kid" , posted Thu 26 Jan 00:29post reply

This is so insane that it might actually be real but part of me still wonders if this is an elaborate prank. The PS Vita is currently laying there like a dead possum in the middle of the road but someone thinks it's a good idea to release a dedicated handheld that plays the first Sengoku game? If this is easy to jailbreak and play emulations I could see it gaining a cult following but as it is I just don't know.

sibarraz
330th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(7):New Neo Geo handheld announced (not kid" , posted Thu 26 Jan 01:46post reply

quote:
This is so insane that it might actually be real but part of me still wonders if this is an elaborate prank. The PS Vita is currently laying there like a dead possum in the middle of the road but someone thinks it's a good idea to release a dedicated handheld that plays the first Sengoku game? If this is easy to jailbreak and play emulations I could see it gaining a cult following but as it is I just don't know.

This will be obviously be catered to the hardcore fans of SNK that will buy this no matter what.

Freeter
4557th Post

"100 MEGA SHOCK" , posted Thu 26 Jan 02:01post reply

I've been playing nothing but emulated Neo games on my DS lately, so this news definitely strikes my fancy. As long as it's not insanely overpriced I might pick one up.

The starting lineup is definitely garbage though. Screw the 'classics', portable Real Bout/SS2/Last Blade is where it's at.

karasu99
833th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(7):New Neo Geo handheld announced (not kid" , posted Thu 26 Jan 02:08post reply

quote:

It seems to me that there is very little reason to include both 2GB internal memory and an SD slot if the intention was not to sell updates of some sort. I think DLC is WAAAY out of the question, but series-based SD cards (a la the PS2 compilations) might not be so unrealistic. Depending on the emulation this thing uses it might not even be very much work. I guess it depends on how it sells, so everyone go buy it!

By the way, on the subject of the Vita, I wonder if it's the smartphone game market cutting into the market for handhelds. It may just be that this generation of handhelds will never do as well as the last. It's also pretty early.

www.secret-arts.com

Toxico
5567th Post

PSN: Toxic-Baron

"Re(8):New Neo Geo handheld announced (not kid" , posted Thu 26 Jan 02:18post reply

quote:
The PS Vita is currently laying there like a dead possum in the middle of the road but someone thinks it's a good idea to release a dedicated handheld that plays the first Sengoku game?

(I have been waiting for a chance to link this).

I'm.... Kinda awake now, but I have to say while this might interest some for obvious reasons, to me the true catch lies on exclusive services that the console gets, the possibility of playing old games that don't belong just to the MVS library (like Athena ~ Awakening from the ordinary life) and the possible price (better be dirt cheap as it's screwing around with the people that bought NGStation).

Speaking of "perfect theory" this could become a must have to some also if they add translations to games that never got translated (like the psx rpgs) and or release unfinished prototypes (like Ninja Fighter Sho or MotW 2). Of course nothing of that is ever going to happen. never.

If they could also add the fan released games that have been developed on the last 10 years and even power up those activities, this could also pick up.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ
Update 24 as of 21/11/11 (Temporary mega upload link). // 104 personajes traducidos

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 23 as of 20/11/11

Ishmael
4299th Post

"Re(9):New Neo Geo handheld announced (not kid" , posted Thu 26 Jan 04:25post reply

Not to go all scanline on everyone but what is the screen resolution on the games that are listed? It looks like there's going to be a lot more screen than there is game. Does any SNKP game before KoF12 have a 16 x 9 aspect ratio?

TheRedKnight
345th Post

PSN: yes
XBL: no
Wii: no

Bronze Customer

"Re(10):New Neo Geo handheld announced (not ki" , posted Thu 26 Jan 04:37post reply

quote:
Not to go all scanline on everyone but what is the screen resolution on the games that are listed? It looks like there's going to be a lot more screen than there is game. Does any SNKP game before KoF12 have a 16 x 9 aspect ratio?

...and what's up with the shoulder buttons?

Break the chain. Break if for yourself. Free your fighting spirit......

Loona
500th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Re(10):New Neo Geo handheld announced (" , posted Thu 26 Jan 07:06post reply

quote:

Hopefully shortcuts like A+B, C+D, etc... those come in handy in several games, especially while running them on a portable.

Professor
3359th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):Re(10):New Neo Geo handheld announced (" , posted Thu 26 Jan 18:22:post reply

The original link at Famicom Plaza has... magically disappeared.
I can only assume that it was either announced too early by mistake, or it wasn't a legit product.

[this message was edited by Professor on Thu 26 Jan 18:24]

karasu99
834th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):New Neo Geo handheld announced (" , posted Fri 27 Jan 02:03post reply

quote:
The original link at Famicom Plaza has... magically disappeared.
I can only assume that it was either announced too early by mistake, or it wasn't a legit product.

Awwww, popular sentiment now seems to be that it was a hoax. Ah well! It pretty much just played on sentimentality anyway, since there are already a bunch of ways to play Neo Geo stuff in a portable format.

www.secret-arts.com

Loona
502th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(5):Re(10):New Neo Geo handheld announced (" , posted Fri 27 Jan 03:23post reply

quote:
It pretty much just played on sentimentality anyway, since there are already a bunch of ways to play Neo Geo stuff in a portable format.

That seems to apply to Sega too, and I've seen in physical store portable consoles that run nothing but Megadrive games - NeoGeo stuff is just a lot more niche.
Picking Fatal fury Special as the FF representative was a peculiar choice in that list of bundled games though...

sibarraz
333th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):New Neo Geo handheld announced (" , posted Fri 27 Jan 11:17:post reply

quote:
It pretty much just played on sentimentality anyway, since there are already a bunch of ways to play Neo Geo stuff in a portable format.

That seems to apply to Sega too, and I've seen in physical store portable consoles that run nothing but Megadrive games - NeoGeo stuff is just a lot more niche.
Picking Fatal fury Special as the FF representative was a peculiar choice in that list of bundled games though...

I don't see it that strange, I mean, if Capcom did the same they will put Champion Edition / Hyper Fighting instead of SF 1

[this message was edited by sibarraz on Fri 27 Jan 11:18]

karasu99
836th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):New Neo Geo handheld announced (" , posted Fri 27 Jan 12:57post reply

quote:

I don't think it's that strange, given how FFS is the distillation of the first generation of FF games.

So, even though the Neo Geo handheld has widely been panned as a hoax, it's been making the late-day rounds of sites like Siliconera and Shoryuken. When does it officially become a dead issue?

www.secret-arts.com

sibarraz
333th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(7):Re(10):New Neo Geo handheld announced (" , posted Fri 27 Jan 13:28post reply

quote:

I don't think it's that strange, given how FFS is the distillation of the first generation of FF games.

So, even though the Neo Geo handheld has widely been panned as a hoax, it's been making the late-day rounds of sites like Siliconera and Shoryuken. When does it officially become a dead issue?

SNKP telling that all of this is fake, or in 2 more months

chazumaru
858th Post

"Re(7):New Neo Geo handheld... and MORE!" , posted Fri 27 Jan 15:11post reply

I avoided the traditional quote format to make this post easier to read.

The PS Vita is currently laying there like a dead possum in the middle of the road but someone thinks it's a good idea to release a dedicated handheld that plays the first Sengoku game?

Blaze has had a lot of success with their cheap Mega Drive handheld machines (more on them later in this post). The Dingoo has been a success in Asia. Do not underestimate the cheap dedicated handheld business.

This will be obviously be catered to the hardcore fans of SNK that will buy this no matter what.

Yes, but not only dedicated fans. It's the branded/diversified version of an offer that already exists.

The starting lineup is definitely garbage though. Screw the 'classics', portable Real Bout/SS2/Last Blade is where it's at.

LB could be possibly harder to emulate and would take more place? But I agree with you; it could have gotten wider in the SNK spectrum.

It seems to me that there is very little reason to include both 2GB internal memory and an SD slot if the intention was not to sell updates of some sort

Also consider it will most likely play MP3 sound files and MP4 movie files, like most similar machines in Asia do.

to me the true catch lies on exclusive services that the console gets

I am ready to bet a free trip to Chile that it will not happen.

Does any SNKP game before KoF12 have a 16 x 9 aspect ratio?

Nope and that is the biggest design issue, but we do not know if they intend to stretch the display of games or display black bars (or potentially offer both options).

The case is most likely adapted from another, similar device. It was probably cheaper to keep the buttons.

Awwww, popular sentiment now seems to be that it was a hoax.

I think if it was a hoax, the article would have been redacted, not removed entirely. Rather sounds like an unfortunate leak.

That seems to apply to Sega too, and I've seen in physical store portable consoles that run nothing but Megadrive games

Blaze. They also released a Master System version in Europe, and...

THIS. Announced today. It's called the GameGadget and it is a retro-oriented handheld machine with a dedicated electronic store. More details at Eurogamer.

> 100 euros
> Spring release
> 6 buttons (ABXY+LR)
> 433mhz dual core CPU
> 64MB RAM / 2GB Flash RAM
> 320 x 240 (good job!)
> AV out
> 140mmx75mmx16mm
> SD card allowing MP3, photo, video
> Li-ion 2200 battery
> Shitty D-pad because we it's just impossible to get the right machine

Very interesting move. They are still dealing with business partners / contents providers but they would not have announced it without at least a few done deals (Sega?). Regarding prices, they are aiming very low, with free and €2 games, but are thinking about promoting 10€ bundles.

Interesting times!

Loona
503th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(7):Re(10):New Neo Geo handheld announced (" , posted Fri 27 Jan 20:04post reply

quote:

On the other hand, in previous "retro" packs they always went with the original games, so that kinda sticks out - having Special first in Xbox Live seems to be the major exception, and even for that one they used the top of Terry's FF1 sprite as an icon (I wish they'd use his original short-ponytail-and-red-jacket-with actual-sleeves more often when they're going for classics aethetics...)

sibarraz
336th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(8):Re(10):New Neo Geo handheld announced (" , posted Fri 27 Jan 22:03post reply

FFS IS the SF2 of SNK, FF1 or even FF2 would have been bad choices since those games are not that popular

chazumaru
860th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):New Neo Geo handheld announced (" , posted Fri 27 Jan 23:34post reply

FF1 was also in the list they provided, though.

Gieflos
75th Post

PSN: pooplos-z
XBL: PooplosZ

Occasional Customer

"Re(10):Re(10):New Neo Geo handheld announced " , posted Fri 16 Mar 09:43post reply

So this ended up being real?

nobinobita
1047th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):New Neo Geo handheld anno" , posted Fri 16 Mar 11:25post reply

quote:

I know this isn't logical, since I probably own multiple copies of every single Neo-Geo game I like across multiple platforms...

But I want this so bad!!!

www.art-eater.com

nobinobita
1048th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):New Neo Geo handheld anno" , posted Fri 16 Mar 11:28post reply

quote:

I know this isn't logical, since I probably own multiple copies of every single Neo-Geo game I like across multiple platforms...

It's gotta have wireless co-op! (haha I initially spelled that as "wifeless co-op)

If so I'm seriously gonna buy 2 and take them with me everywhere.

www.art-eater.com

badoor
260th Post

PSN: BadoorSNK
XBL: BadoorSNK
Wii: PSVITA:BadoorUSA

Copper Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):New Neo Geo handheld anno" , posted Fri 16 Mar 23:15post reply

quote:

Well, you might have to pay more to add extra games (Neo Geo or others). The maker's other handheld, cleverly named GameGadget, will have an "iTunes like App store" where you can purchase old ROMS released by the original IP holders to download. Talk about being extremely ambitious.

That device is priced at £99 in the UK, about £30 less than a 3DS. And that one has no games pre-installed, a regular d-pad, and is less "luxurious" than the Neo Geo X, so expect the Neo Geo X to be even higher priced. Oh and the GameGadget has yet to come out at the end of the month (I bet the people who preordered it feel screwed after hearing about the Neo Geo version).

Professor
3401th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):New Neo Geo handheld anno" , posted Fri 16 Mar 23:32post reply

quote:

Awesome. Worldwide release too. I wonder if it'll allow head-2-head.

Ishmael
4341th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):New Neo Geo handheld anno" , posted Sat 17 Mar 07:50post reply

This cannot be the actual price.

nobinobita
1049th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):New Neo Geo handheld anno" , posted Sat 17 Mar 08:18post reply

quote:

Man. I wish someone competent could take over all these awesome properties.

www.art-eater.com

Grave
1441th Post

PSN: Drakee
XBL: Mikelson

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):New Neo Geo handheld anno" , posted Sat 17 Mar 08:19post reply

quote:

It isn't!

Ishmael
4342th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):New Neo Geo handheld anno" , posted Sat 17 Mar 09:10post reply

quote:

It isn't!

Actually I think the 3/16 MCV article is dismissing everything that was dismissed in the 3/15 Eurogamer article. Or I think it does. It's hard to tell since there is no time stamp for when the Eurogamer article was updated. Everything about this device -including the news articles discussing it- makes no sense whatsoever.