A Buddhist's Guide to Asura's Wrath - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3729 Views )

nobinobita
1030th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Premium Member

"A Buddhist's Guide to Asura's Wrath" , posted Tue 24 Jan 20:51post reply

Hey you beautiful people, I got a new blog post up!

http://art-eater.com/2012/01/a-buddhists-guide-to-asuras-wrath/

I know most of you hate this game's guts, but if you got a few minutes, please have a read and let me know what you think.

Cheers!

www.art-eater.com

Replies:

Pollyanna
3174th Post

PSN: Lilly_Dopamine
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):A Buddhist's Guide to Asura's Wrath" , posted Tue 24 Jan 22:21post reply

I don't have any particular commentary other than:Cool! But I enjoyed it and I'll certainly share it with my friends.

You really got a lot from relatively little, so I'm excited to see what you'll find in the complete game.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

chazumaru
854th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(2):A Buddhist's Guide to Asura's Wrath" , posted Tue 24 Jan 22:39:post reply

I can't remember for sure, are you that crazy person who also found out everything about Bayonetta's buddhist inspirations from the reflections of the bullet flying within the last thirteen frames of the very first twenty seconds reveal teaser?

If so, maybe you can help me figure out how people like you find out about stuff like this.

無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Tue 24 Jan 22:40]

Ishmael
4296th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b

"Re(3):A Buddhist's Guide to Asura's Wrath" , posted Wed 25 Jan 00:35post reply

Very nice! I so wished I liked playing Asura's Wrath because it's doing everything else right.

quote:
stuff like this.

karasu99
833th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):A Buddhist's Guide to Asura's Wrath" , posted Wed 25 Jan 01:44:post reply

quote:

I know most of you hate this game's guts, but if you got a few minutes, please have a read and let me know what you think.

Cheers!

Hey, a really enjoyable read! I especially enjoyed reading about how the character's skin and damage state are inspired by characteristics of Buddhist statuary. This is a subject that I need to know more about!

I should say that I'm almost certainly going to buy Asura's Wrath, despite my misgivings (which are entirely gameplay-related-- stylistically it's phenomenal). My hope is that the game itself plays better than the demo, or is at least more enjoyable than the demo. The main character makes me want to pound a bunch of enemies into jelly, and the demo never really let me do that.

Plus I want to encourage Capcom to take chances and make more games that aren't sequels to some other game.

EDIT: Just played through the demo again, based on all the details you mentioned. The duel with Augus played a lot better to me this time, actually based on what Polly was saying over in the other thread about Final Fantasy XIII's boss fights, oddly enough. Also, I think I was in a much better, more open state of mind this time around, so I was able to just go with the overblown craziness of some parts of the demo (like using QTEs to plant each of Asura's feet into horse stance-- I actually laughed at that touch). Anyway, yeah.

www.secret-arts.com

[this message was edited by karasu99 on Wed 25 Jan 03:25]

Maou
2298th Post

"Re(2):A Buddhist's Guide to Asura's Wrath" , posted Wed 25 Jan 12:30:post reply

quote:
No, YOU are the beautiful people, Nobi! Thanks! I just told a Capcom pal about it and he put it up on their community site...I hope it gets some love from the internet hordes! But either way, the only people that matter (us, at the Cafe) are appreciative!

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 25 Jan 12:31]

HAYATO
1057th Post

"Re(1):A Buddhist's Guide to Asura's Wrath" , posted Mon 30 Jan 08:08post reply

quote:

Cheers!

Wow! I've been looking forward to reading this since the first time you talked about this project here some months ago. And Nobi, dear sir, you sure have delivered!!

Thanks for bringing us such an excellent article once again. It's an enjoyable and insightful reading wich brings up some of the less known details and influences present on AW's production design.

Despite being written in a more generalistic, less technical approach than your previous articles (which is a bit of a letdown to me, as your in-depth, techier "Darkstalkers and 12 principles of animation" is a favourite of mine), it's a great example on how to make videogame art reviews, the right way.

It's good to know that you are planning to create more entries with AW as the main subject, because this game looks like the perfect basis for a future article on 3D animation rules :

- Traditional 3D animation (no Motion Capture procedures involved)
- Fantasy themes (which allow more creative freedom in all areas, including animation)
- Over-the-top, animu-like action (always prone to exaggerated character traits and hyperbolean feats)

Who knows, perhaps even an "Asura's Wrath and the 12 principles of 3D animation" type of article is feasible... the perfect counterpart to your Darkstalkers one!!

nobinobita
1031th Post

"Re(2):A Buddhist's Guide to Asura's Wrath" , posted Mon 30 Jan 08:32post reply

Thank you all for your kind words! I tend to agonize a lot over my writing, but I think I'm finding my voice this year.

This last post was especially rewarding cos it got picked up by Capcom (thanks a million Maou!)

http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregaman/blog/2012/01/24/asuras_wraths_roots_are_deeper_than_you_might_think

and Cyberconnect2!
https://www.facebook.com/CyberConnect2/posts/215998718494947

quote:

Despite being written in a more generalistic, less technical approach than your previous articles (which is a bit of a letdown to me, as your in-depth, techier "Darkstalkers and 12 principles of animation" is a favourite of mine), it's a great example on how to make videogame art reviews, the right way.

I'm still trying to find the right balance between obsessing over details and ease of reading. All these posts tend to start off as rambling 20 page treatises before getting whittled down to the basics. The editing phase seems to take more time than the actual research and writing. Maybe I could post short and long versions in the future?

Or maybe I just need a good editor?

www.art-eater.com

kofoguz
972th Post

"Re(3):A Buddhist's Guide to Asura's Wrath" , posted Mon 30 Jan 08:58post reply

quote:
I'm still trying to find the right balance between obsessing over details and ease of reading. All these posts tend to start off as rambling 20 page treatises before getting whittled down to the basics. The editing phase seems to take more time than the actual research and writing. Maybe I could post short and long versions in the future?

Yes, please. I would like to see long versions.

nobinobita
1033th Post

"Look ma! I'm on Kotaku!" , posted Mon 30 Jan 18:35:post reply

:D

http://kotaku.com/5880392/everything-about-this-game-is-so-buddhist

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Mon 30 Jan 18:36]

GekigangerV
1736th Post

PSN: gekijmo

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Look ma! I'm on Kotaku!" , posted Mon 30 Jan 20:06post reply

quote:

Cograts . . . I think

But why are all the comments about Superman?

Professor
3361th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):Look ma! I'm on Kotaku!" , posted Mon 30 Jan 21:53post reply

quote:

Nice! it didn't hit me about the number of arms and rank until you pointed out about Kannon. This is a must-read for players without much knowledge for Buddhism, or for those that take it for granted.

Nekros
410th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):A Buddhist's Guide to Asura's Wrath" , posted Wed 1 Feb 03:53:post reply

quote:

Cheers!

Very interesting work...didn't know Thailand is the most Buddhist nation on Earth. The only thing about Thailand I know a little is the food.

On a side note I recall something related to Dragonball Z and the Sayajin hair: the design is inspired by the disposition of petals in chackra symbology. And Super Sayajin transformation is triggered by rage only the first time (and with exception of Son Goten and Trunks), is stated somewhere in the series that is something related with the mind/heart's purity than feelings (Son Goku has pure dumbeness, Vegeta pure tsundereness and so on). The only asura-sayajin i can remember of is Broly.

I have a question about the sci-fi elements in Asura's Wrath: have Buddhism some story related to "celestial beings" that uses advanced technology or particular magic artifacts that resemble modern technology? Is there something in Buddhist tradition like Sumerian Annunaki or Hopi Anasazi?
I think is an invention from Capcom (like cyber-nordic mythology in Too Human), but I'm curious about it having any hint in the actual culture.

[this message was edited by Nekros on Wed 1 Feb 03:55]

HAYATO
1058th Post

"Re(2):A Buddhist's Guide to Asura's Wrath" , posted Wed 1 Feb 07:49post reply

quote:

Cheers!

Very interesting work...didn't know Thailand is the most Buddhist nation on Earth. The only thing about Thailand I know a little is the food.

On a side note I recall something related to Dragonball Z and the Sayajin hair: the design is inspired by the disposition of petals in chackra symbology. And Super Sayajin transformation is triggered by rage only the first time (and with exception of Son Goten and Trunks), is stated somewhere in the series that is something related with the mind/heart's purity than feelings (Son Goku has pure dumbeness, Vegeta pure tsundereness and so on). The only asura-sayajin i can remember of is Broly.

I have a question about the sci-fi elements in Asura's Wrath: have Buddhism some story related to "celestial beings" that uses advanced technology or particular magic artifacts that resemble modern technology? Is there something in Buddhist tradition like Sumerian Annunaki or Hopi Anasazi?
I think is an invention from Capcom (like cyber-nordic mythology in Too Human), but I'm curious about it having any hint in the actual culture.

IIRC, Ravana of Lanka (the main antagonist on the Indian epic "Ramayana") owned a flying artifact called Vimana he had previously stolen from his half brother Kubera's palace. That Vimana was pretty much a shapeshifting spacecraft laden with high-tech weapons of mass destruction.

In said novel Avataras (the demigod Rama), Devas, Rakshashas and high-class priests and warriors(rishis like Vishwamitra or high-level fighters like Rama's brother Lakshmana) employ some weapons called astras whose effects in battle dwarf those found in Dragon Ball Z by far. The matter is that astras' nature is quite ambiguous (at least in Ramesh Menon's English edition), so I'm not sure whether they are mystic spells, high-tech weapons of the gods or a combination of both...

Also, Lanka's architecture is often described in the novel as something out of this world, unmatched and unattainable by human means, as the architect of the gods, Viswakarman,came down to Earth to build it.

So, I think that the concept of gods posessing unmatched technology is actually present on Indian/Buddhist mythology (perhaps in a more subtle way than in CC2's game, but present nonetheless)...

And finally, some words for Nobi:

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
I'd love to read unabridged versions of your articles, no matter how dense or obscure the facts you explain may be. And allow me a last piece of advice: avoid anime and manga references as much as you can if you are aiming for rigorous, professional-like essays. Kinnikuman and Dragon Ball are OK if your goal is getting your articles posted on Kotaku. But honestly, with your knowledge and writing skills, you can do much, much better...

End of Spoiler

nobinobita
1040th Post

"A Buddhist's Guide to Asura's Wrath - Part 2" , posted Mon 5 Mar 23:03post reply

Woohoo! Part 2 is online!

http://art-eater.com/2012/02/a-buddhists-guide-to-asuras-wrath-part-2-weapons-the-bishops-staff-and-hungry-ghosts/

www.art-eater.com

nobinobita
1041th Post

"A Buddhist's Guide to Asura's Wrath - Part 2" , posted Mon 5 Mar 23:32post reply

quote:
I'd love to read unabridged versions of your articles, no matter how dense or obscure the facts you explain may be.

Thanks for the advice and support. I'm changing up the way I approach articles. Before I would try to cram every idea under the sun into one post. Now I'm breaking them up into more focused posts by subject. For instance this current post focuses purely on Shakujos and Hungry Ghosts. The next one will be about Vajras and I definitely got one about Vimanas coming down the line (thanks for the tip!).

quote:

I'd love to read unabridged versions of your articles, no matter how dense or obscure the facts you explain may be. And allow me a last piece of advice: avoid anime and manga references as much as you can if you are aiming for rigorous, professional-like essays. Kinnikuman and Dragon Ball are OK if your goal is getting your articles posted on Kotaku. But honestly, with your knowledge and writing skills, you can do much, much better...

End of Spoiler

Also, I hope you will indulge all my Dragon Ball and Kinnikuman references. My blog's really as much about cartoons and comics and videogames as it is about art history. I just want people to see how much thought goes into some of these stories and products. To me they're as beautiful as religion.

End of Spoiler

www.art-eater.com

Loona
527th Post

PSN: IkariLoona

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):A Buddhist's Guide to Asura's Wrath - P" , posted Tue 6 Mar 01:23post reply

quote:
Woohoo! Part 2 is online!

http://art-eater.com/2012/02/a-buddhists-guide-to-asuras-wrath-part-2-weapons-the-bishops-staff-and-hungry-ghosts/

It was really odd seeing the term "pretas" there - "preta" being female form of the word "black" in Portuguese along with those illustrations made me think of starving african women while reading that part of the article...

I wonder when the term originally came up... Portuguese history likes to focus a lot on the times when a lot of navigation was done around Africa and India (late 1400s to 1500s), although surely those parts of the world could have done without the "attention" back then. Still, I doubt there's much of a match between dates, but it's an odd "geolinguistic" coincidence.

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Maou
2310th Post

"Re(1):A Buddhist's Guide to Asura's Wrath - P" , posted Tue 6 Mar 02:57post reply

quote:
Woohoo! Part 2 is online!http://art-eater.com/2012/02/a-buddhists-guide-to-asuras-wrath-part-2-weapons-the-bishops-staff-and-hungry-ghosts/
Excellent. Look forward to reading. Passed it on to Capcom again for now.

kofoguz
977th Post

"Re(1):A Buddhist's Guide to Asura's Wrath - P" , posted Tue 6 Mar 07:44post reply

quote:
I'd love to read unabridged versions of your articles, no matter how dense or obscure the facts you explain may be.

Thanks for the advice and support. I'm changing up the way I approach articles. Before I would try to cram every idea under the sun into one post. Now I'm breaking them up into more focused posts by subject. For instance this current post focuses purely on Shakujos and Hungry Ghosts. The next one will be about Vajras and I definitely got one about Vimanas coming down the line (thanks for the tip!).

It really is a great post. I never knew Hungry ghosts. Also liked this part: "Their world sometimes overlaps with ours, though they’re invisible to the human eye and generally have no effect on mortal life." Cause in Islam there's similar dimensional things with djinns. Btw I hope you dont forget "the other" article, too. You have followers for animation analyses

nobinobita
1042th Post

"Re(2):A Buddhist's Guide to Asura's Wrath - P" , posted Tue 6 Mar 08:21post reply

quote:
Woohoo! Part 2 is online!http://art-eater.com/2012/02/a-buddhists-guide-to-asuras-wrath-part-2-weapons-the-bishops-staff-and-hungry-ghosts/ Excellent. Look forward to reading. Passed it on to Capcom again for now.

Thanks! I've got at least 4 more posts on weapons coming up. I've decided to space them out rather than ball them up into one giant mega post. I hope that works out better.

www.art-eater.com

nobinobita
1043th Post

"Re(2):A Buddhist's Guide to Asura's Wrath - P" , posted Tue 6 Mar 08:23post reply

quote:

It really is a great post. I never knew Hungry ghosts. Also liked this part: "Their world sometimes overlaps with ours, though they’re invisible to the human eye and generally have no effect on mortal life." Cause in Islam there's similar dimensional things with djinns. Btw I hope you dont forget "the other" article, too. You have followers for animation analyses

Yeah, my roommate who is from Malaysia was explaining the concept of Djinn's to me. It's like they exist on a different plane in the same world. He told me that back home, if you need to take a leak in the woods, you first have to announce it to any Djinn's nearby, just to be polite!

www.art-eater.com

Maou
2311th Post

"Re(3):A Buddhist's Guide to Asura's Wrath - P" , posted Tue 6 Mar 08:26post reply

quote:
you first have to announce it to any Djinn's nearby, just to be polite!
Oh man, I thought everybody did that! Never know what ghosts might be around, hungry or otherwise...

Oroch
1126th Post

PSN: Alpha-Class

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):A Buddhist's Guide to Asura's Wrath" , posted Thu 8 Mar 06:37:post reply

quote:

Cheers!

i liked it, does it make me broken?

then again i liked neir as well :(

[this message was edited by Oroch on Thu 8 Mar 06:43]

Maou
2312th Post

"Re(3):A Buddhist's Guide to Asura's Wrath - P" , posted Thu 8 Mar 08:40post reply

quote:
Passed it on to Capcom again for now.
Nobi, 'tis done! You're (internet) famous again! Maybe we should all get together and talk about games and art sometime. How very West Coast Cafe.

nobinobita
1045th Post

"A Buddhist's Guide to Asura's Wrath - Part 3" , posted Thu 8 Mar 21:57:post reply

quote:
Passed it on to Capcom again for now. Nobi, 'tis done! You're (internet) famous again! Maybe we should all get together and talk about games and art sometime. How very West Coast Cafe.

Oh man, you rock Maou! Thanks so much for passing these on to Capcom! I can't thank you enough!

I'd definitely be up for some sort of West Coast MMCafe meetup. I bet Karasu would be up for it too.

In the meantime, here's PART 3 of A Buddhist's Guide to Asura's Wrath! Woohoo! (getting faster at this)

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Thu 8 Mar 21:57]

karasu99
871th Post

"Re(1):A Buddhist's Guide to Asura's Wrath - P" , posted Fri 9 Mar 01:47:post reply

quote:
I'd definitely be up for some sort of West Coast MMCafe meetup. I bet Karasu would be up for it too.

I've still got to go see Southtown Arcade! Just make it sometime after March and I'll be up for it.
quote:

In the meantime, here's PART 3 of A Buddhist's Guide to Asura's Wrath! Woohoo! (getting faster at this)

Wow, quick turnaround! That was an awesome read-- I was not as familiar with the vajra as I thought I was! I also enjoyed the bonus info about Siddham Sanskrit script (which shows up quite a bit in games-- not just this one). Keep up the great work!

EDIT: ALSO! I was trying to think of the fighting game character who uses a vajra, and it just came to me: it's Houoh from Ninja Master's (and his idle animation is pretty cool too). I'm sure this isn't news to anybody reading this though!

www.secret-arts.com

[this message was edited by karasu99 on Fri 9 Mar 01:50]

Maou
2316th Post

"Re(2):A Buddhist's Guide to Asura's Wrath - P" , posted Fri 9 Mar 02:51post reply

quote:
Holy cow, Karasu, are you here, too? I thought you were in the Northwest for some reason. We should plan a thing, maybe soon, maybe in late March or mid-April! We could even go to:
quote:
Southtown Arcade!

karasu99
871th Post

"Re(3):A Buddhist's Guide to Asura's Wrath - P" , posted Fri 9 Mar 03:28post reply

quote:
I'd definitely be up for some sort of West Coast MMCafe meetup. I bet Karasu would be up for it too. Holy cow, Karasu, are you here, too? I thought you were in the Northwest for some reason. We should plan a thing, maybe soon, maybe in late March or mid-April! We could even go to:
Southtown Arcade!

No, you were right, I'm in Portland, but it's just a quick hop down to SF, and I've been meaning to see the city again for a while now. Unless of course you all would care to meet up here that is. We don't have Southtown, but we do have Ground Kontrol and Envision.

www.secret-arts.com

Maou
2318th Post

"West Coast Cafe" , posted Fri 9 Mar 08:51:post reply

Strike while the iron's hot, I say: okay, people, what about a West Coast Cafe meetup on the weekend of April 14-15 if Karasu can come to town? Nobi, I can bring Gregaman (and maybe Tim?). Ktall, you should come up, even if I'm in LA the weekend before (and I might be!).

We can wander around SF and rule Southtown Arcade, or head south to Game Center and eat at such fine nearby places as Ramen Dojo, Yakitori/Ramen Kokko, or Izakaya Mai.

Granted, this is what we can (and do) do every weekend here.

[this message was edited by Maou on Fri 9 Mar 09:17]

nobinobita
1046th Post

"Re(1):West Coast Cafe" , posted Fri 9 Mar 13:47:post reply

quote:
Strike while the iron's hot, I say: okay, people, what about a West Coast Cafe meetup on the weekend of April 14-15 if Karasu can come to town? Nobi, I can bring Gregaman (and maybe Tim?). Ktall, you should come up, even if I'm in LA the weekend before (and I might be!).

We can wander around SF and rule Southtown Arcade, or head south to Game Center and eat at such fine nearby places as Ramen Dojo, Yakitori/Ramen Kokko, or Izakaya Mai.

All those things sound great! Though I think a few of us are vegetarians so Ramen and Robata might not be the best option for all (I'm up for the anytime tho!).

I'm always up for a Portland trip as well. I loooove Portland. And Ground Kontrol is one of the coooolest arcades I've seen in the US in the last few years. It's super well maintained. And there are lots of regular folk who just wander in there and start playing games for fun. There's just something awesome about seeing really really scrubby Third Strike players in this day and age. It reminded me of being in Ireland and seeing young people practicing the concertina.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Fri 9 Mar 13:48]

karasu99
873th Post

"Re(2):West Coast Cafe" , posted Sat 10 Mar 08:54post reply

quote:

I'm pretty sure the weekend of April 14-15 will work for me. I'll keep everybody in the loop if anything changes.
quote:

I'm always up for a Portland trip as well. I loooove Portland. And Ground Kontrol is one of the coooolest arcades I've seen in the US in the last few years. It's super well maintained. And there are lots of regular folk who just wander in there and start playing games for fun. There's just something awesome about seeing really really scrubby Third Strike players in this day and age. It reminded me of being in Ireland and seeing young people practicing the concertina.

Especially that one light-haired gentleman! He was unbelievably frenetic in his outside of game motions and a great player inside. I've seen him a few more times since you were up here and played (and lost) against him.

I'd strongly suggest a Portland Cafe meetup someday. And I'm not just saying that because it would be easiest for me. It's best undertaken in late summer though, since the weather will be perfect then.

www.secret-arts.com

Maou
2319th Post

"Re(3):West Coast Cafe" , posted Sat 10 Mar 13:08:post reply

quote:
I'm pretty sure the weekend of April 14-15 will work for me. I'll keep everybody in the loop if anything changes.
I think a few of us are vegetarians so Ramen and Robata might not be the best option for all (I'm up for the anytime tho!).
Now we're talking! Karasu, let us know---we can probalby do a break-out thread in a few weeks. Nobi, we could definitely get Gregaman and do an advance ramen/Game Center run sometime before. If you guys want to e-mail maoujacky at hotmail dot com sometime, we can get a group list going and begin our schemes.

[this message was edited by Maou on Sat 10 Mar 14:30]

sibarraz
374th Post

PSN: n/a
XBL: sibarraz4life

Silver Customer

"Asura" , posted Sat 10 Mar 14:18:post reply

Btw, anybody knows where the SF IV dlc will appear on asura wrath?

[this message was edited by sibarraz on Sat 10 Mar 14:29]

Grave
1438th Post

PSN: Drakee
XBL: Mikelson

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Dammit nobi...!" , posted Tue 13 Mar 09:34post reply

So work got Asura's Wrath in, and since that means I can have it for $40 and get my cash back within two weeks if I so choose, I snapped it up. And why's that? So I can finish reading your articles and know what you're referring to!

...well, that and I imagine the pure spectacle of the game is gonna be worth it knowing that I can enjoy it without actually spending a dime!

Was thinking on embarking on my second Journey tonight first (if I am emotionally capable of such (oh my god that game)), but then I think I'll get around to starting it.

nobinobita
1046th Post

"Re(1):Dammit nobi...!" , posted Tue 13 Mar 14:35post reply

quote:
So work got Asura's Wrath in, and since that means I can have it for $40 and get my cash back within two weeks if I so choose, I snapped it up. And why's that? So I can finish reading your articles and know what you're referring to!

...well, that and I imagine the pure spectacle of the game is gonna be worth it knowing that I can enjoy it without actually spending a dime!

Was thinking on embarking on my second Journey tonight first (if I am emotionally capable of such (oh my god that game)), but then I think I'll get around to starting it.

Aw, glad you're enjoying the articles. I hope you enjoy the game.

I'm finally getting a chance to sink my teeth into Asura's Wrath and I'm really really liking it (i was actually anxious that I wouldn't enjoy the gameplay initialy). Most of the stuff I've written about the game has been based off of the early trailers. Now that I'm actually getting further into it,it's making my head spin! They did a fantastic job with the story, setting, characters, themes and imagery.

I'm glad that stuff that I was just speculating on actually ended up being a part of the game (for instance in the game Asura is exiled from his home Trastrium, a reference to Trayastrimsa, the original home of the Asuras of legend).

There's also lots of new motifs, like the scenes with Asura climbing the giant column while a golden spider speaks to him, which references the classic Buddhist themed Japanese children's story, The Spider's Thread which also recently inspired a dungeon in Skyward Sword.

I have a strong urge to go back and rewrite everything I've already posted and still have in the works. But I think I'm just gonna have to finish the next few posts quickly. Beat the game, then come back with one last epic post once I understand the story in its entirety.

www.art-eater.com

Grave
1439th Post

PSN: Drakee
XBL: Mikelson

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):Dammit nobi...!" , posted Thu 15 Mar 22:56post reply

As much as I hate to say it, I think a lot of us were wrong about Asura's Wrath. Granted, I'm far from done with it, but I've played a few hours of it and I'm not gonna say I'm not impressed!

The problem here is how it was marketed, or I guess rather how it wasn't marketed at all - this is a game that requires a degree of explanation or at the very least it requires context, and the demo provided none of that.

As "interactive anime" I find it extremely entertaining and engaging, and it has a great number of scenes involving real combat with you in direct control - surprise surprise, almost all of them are better than what was featured in the demo.

The art direction and music have been fantastic and I've enjoyed the English voice cast so far. I'm a big fan of Liam O'Brien so that helps a lot. I paid around $40 for my copy and if the rest of the game is as enjoyable as what I've played so far, I may end up hanging on to it.

Pleasantly surprised by this game, but I think it's sad that a lot of people are going to miss out because they don't have the chance to play the full thing risk-free like I do. The demo wasn't very good and the early trailers don't really adequately explain what it is either - it's not like anything I've ever played, for better or worse.

Would be curious to hear if anyone else who wrote it off has had a change of heart if they got to play the game from the beginning and get some context for what's happening.
quote:
Aw, glad you're enjoying the articles. I hope you enjoy the game.

I'm finally getting a chance to sink my teeth into Asura's Wrath and I'm really really liking it (i was actually anxious that I wouldn't enjoy the gameplay initialy). Most of the stuff I've written about the game has been based off of the early trailers. Now that I'm actually getting further into it,it's making my head spin! They did a fantastic job with the story, setting, characters, themes and imagery.

Pollyanna
3206th Post

PSN: Lilly_Dopamine

"Re(3):Dammit nobi...!" , posted Fri 16 Mar 05:26post reply

quote:
As much as I hate to say it, I think a lot of us were wrong about Asura's Wrath. Granted, I'm far from done with it, but I've played a few hours of it and I'm not gonna say I'm not impressed!

While I don't feel like the game delivered anything significantly different than what I expected after playing the demo, I did enjoy the game quite a bit. It certainly has some enjoyable boss fights. It wasn't even the QTE stuff that bothered me as much as some of the non-action related cinemas going on for too long.

I actually played through about half of the game a second time immediately after finishing it, so that says something. I wish they had an "action mode" that would unlock after you finish the game to trim down some of the "fat" in case you just want to sit down and kick some ass. Skipping cinemas is fine, but it gets annoying, since they're divided into such short pieces. I would have accepted a boss rush mode as well.

As it stands, it's perhaps the best rental game ever made, but just not quite worth the asking price otherwise. I hope that people who were iffy about it when it first released will pick it up when they can catch it on sale.

I also liked

The contrasting nature of Asura and Yasha as protagonists. Asura was the protagonist when Yasha had suppressed his emotions to the point of losing himself and Yasha becomes the protagonist when Asura lets his emotions run wild and loses himself. I liked how the game had a message of "You must balance passion and discipline" without using any words.

End of Spoiler

Also (end game)

Asura's 1000 arms thing was hugely predictable, but made me laugh in triumph all the same. It's one of those things I could see 100 times and it would still be cool.

End of Spoiler

青春謳歌 弱肉強食