Original message (2709 Views )

sfried
726th Post

user profileedit/delete message

PSN: My3DSFriendCode
XBL: isdownbellow
Wii: 279306128909

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Skyward Sword: Most non-traditional 3D Zelda?" , posted Mon 21 Nov 12:19post reply

After sinking about four hours of gameplay into it, I feel this is a huge departure. Whether it's good or bad is something I can't say at the moment. What I can say is that despite certain aspects of progression that might adhere to the formula, it doesn't feel like any other Zelda game I've played. And that included Majora's Mask.

For one, there's immediately a lot to take in: Apart from the Motion+ controls, there's a new Stamina system to take into account for both movement and combat (spin attack now takes 1/3 of Stamina), the Shield meter (shows how much damage your shield can take before it breaks), and then a forging system for weapons and items. Then there's the limited number of quest items you can take with you (which means Link can no longer carry a boatload of crap) to the point they even have a storage system a la Monster Hunter. It's like its trying to be maximalist in its list of customization, which is a little wierd considering the progression

I played a couple of hours of it and I've only beat the first dungeon, and I feel like this game picked up a lot of Okami-isms, particularly with regards to the focus on plot. So far it has been a somewhat guided experience. People concerned about the slow start and empty world that Twilight Princess had shouldn't, because it really doesn't take long before you're off on your bird skydiving into holes in the clouds. You also get most needed items fairly early: You already have a bottle once you jump out of Skyloft (the island hub) and I already have the Slingshot and the Beetle from where I stopped.

Still, I'm very hesitant to put a finger on this game yet as I feel I've barely scratched the surface.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
I also like the fact that most of the posted sign captions can be read by just trying to approach it. That, and Ghirahim punishing me for being too PREDICTABOO.

End of Spoiler

Replies:

Maou
2273th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Skyward Sword: Most non-traditional 3D " , posted Mon 21 Nov 12:42post reply

quote:
I feel this is a huge departure. Whether it's good or bad is something I can't say at the moment. What I can say is that despite certain aspects of progression that might adhere to the formula, it doesn't feel like any other Zelda game I've played.
Behold, the feeling I want from every sequel I ever play! Like the "Final Fantasy Effect" to the nth. Sounds intriguing.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

chazumaru
840th Post

"Re(2):Skyward Sword: Most non-traditional 3D" , posted Mon 21 Nov 21:05:post reply

About 10 hours in so far. I just passed the third Boss. Opinion was mitigated at first but the third world/dungeon was great.

I find it closer to "traditional Zelda"(?) than Majora. That one really felt out of left field. Zelda SS keeps the "three elemental dungeons" intro sequence made popular with Ocarina, although the third one comes with an interesting twist. The focus on so many puzzles outside of dungeons feels similar to the GB/GBC episodes.

I like that most of the animals, monsters, characters and items are brand new. So far, the dungeon design feels rather shallow and straightforward compared to the previous games. However, the enemies are much more interesting to fight than usual.

The stamina gauge plays an extremely important role, the village serves as a hub/Nexus for the whole adventure and you are required to farm materials in order to upgrade your equipment. Oh and use your shield to repel enemy attacks! That's the best way to win sword fights.
↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓
Really surprised by the many similarities with Demon's Souls, although one could say similar elements are found in Monster Hunter.

無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Mon 21 Nov 21:43]

sfried
727th Post

"Re(3):Skyward Sword: Most non-traditional 3D" , posted Tue 22 Nov 15:53post reply

quote:
The focus on so many puzzles outside of dungeons feels similar to the GB/GBC episodes.

Day 2 and I'm on the middle of the third dungeon, and this was what I was about to say too.

Already my field has expanded in scope to do sidequesting but progression does feel like a mix of Link's Awakening/Oracle of Ages tight progression (and headscraters, most notably the ones in the second dungeon) with Oracle of Season's combat oriented leanings.

One of the things I'm really liking so far are the NPCs. Much like Majora's Mask, there seems to be quite a focus on the characters and their lifestyles. Of course if feels much more like Wind Waker's characters but more fleshed out.

I like the fact that even Beedle has a kind of background too him as well. I just slept in his shop and the next thing you know I landed in his own little island, and told me he just didn't want to wake me up all the while looking at his pet beetle while sitting in a lonely bonfire at night.

End of Spoiler

Speaking of which, this Zelda...HNNNNGGGGHHH~!

Maese
663th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(4):Skyward Sword: Most non-traditional 3D" , posted Wed 23 Nov 00:14post reply

Hey, I'm glad to see a Zelda thread around here that has not been started by me!

quote:

Welcome to the club, my friend! This time you can't help but actually caring about saving her from evil clutches. In fact, the thing that has impressed me most on this Skyward Sword is the emphasis on the characters and the storytelling. You can see there a level of love and care that only Nintendo can give.

I must say this game has made me regain my faith and love for the franchise after the quite dissapointing Twilight Princess and DS entries. It is not the 10/10 masterpiece some people claim it to be, sure, and I don't see it being a true ground-breaking, epoch making gaming experience as some of its forefathers were... but this Skyward Sword is a very solid game and a pretty good Zelda nonetheless.

Gotta love that colorful and joyful graphic style. And the music score has some of the most impressive tracks on the whole Zelda history as well.

I've spent a lot of time with this baby and I must say I've enjoyed every single moment (in fact this is the first Wii game, or current generation's game for what's worth, that I play thoroughly to the end). Some parts are better than others, but there are a handful of genuinely great moments on it. Certain scenes and boss battles went directly to my personal Top 10 of awesomest experiences ever playing a videogame. Special mention to the battle against the multi-armed sword-wielding giant robot and the breathtaking duel with the final boss. The stuff of legends indeed!

Pollyanna
3146th Post

PSN: Lilly_Dopamine
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(5):Skyward Sword: Most non-traditional 3D" , posted Wed 23 Nov 14:39post reply

quote:

Nintendo is creating a world of Grooses (Greese?). But if you really love Zelda, you'll jump off a cliff and trust she'll catch you.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

sfried
729th Post

"Re(6):Skyward Sword: Most non-traditional 3D" , posted Thu 24 Nov 08:54:post reply

So I just finished Skyward Sword. I think they got the pacing right with this one.

After the final dungeon they pretty much treat you with waves of enemies before fighting the trickiest boss in Zelda history. That whole duel with Ghirahim was a fantastic way to make everything build up to this. Never mind Demise and his battle (although I do love the fact "stealing" his lighting strikes is the key to his defeat), The whole "plunge of death" you put Ghirahim to is satisfying. And the last phase, the one that take out your hearts because of that weak spot you simply have to stab, that almost took all of my hearts because while backflip dodging pretty much one of the few way to evade, you have to constantly put up the pressure to fling his sword/penetrate through his buster sword thing. That whole forced risk reward right there, and his whole antics make him one unforgettable foe.

End of Spoiler

[this message was edited by sfried on Wed 30 Nov 15:38]

Maese
664th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(7):Skyward Sword: Most non-traditional 3D" , posted Thu 1 Dec 17:16post reply

quote:
So I just finished Skyward Sword. I think they got the pacing right with this one.

Yeah, I enjoyed the last duel against Ghirahim and all, but for me the absolute climax of the game was the final battle against Demise. You really feel like a real hero there, raising your sword towards heavens, summoning the power and all. It's almost mythological, a feeling I'd never had while playing a videogame before. It really rocked my world in a way I'd never expected. You know, with videogames usually you fight the bad guys, save the chick... But this time around you are a friggin' HERO! Who could have thought waggling that silly Wiimote back and forth could produce such a bliss.

But since nothing on this world can be said to be perfect, here goes a little farewell requiem to left handed Link.

Moo
69th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(8):Skyward Sword: Most non-traditional 3D" , posted Fri 16 Dec 00:37post reply

I didn't see anyone mention it here, but I was wondering if anyone here experienced severe hand-holding throughout their playthrough? I'm up to the first dungeon and Fi is driving me nuts. I've read that her interference varies between players.
When I talked to a friend about it, he said "you haven't played a Nintendo game recently, have you?" The last Zelda game I played was Windwaker, and I don't recall much hand-holding in that.

sfried
731th Post

"Re(9):Skyward Sword: Most non-traditional 3D" , posted Fri 16 Dec 07:26post reply

quote:
I didn't see anyone mention it here, but I was wondering if anyone here experienced severe hand-holding throughout their playthrough? I'm up to the first dungeon and Fi is driving me nuts. I've read that her interference varies between players.
Yeah, Fi can be bothersome at times (like when stating the obvious). I'm wondering if you selected Pro Mode in the interface, though, cause as soon as I had the option I immediately switched to it.

Moo
77th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(10):Skyward Sword: Most non-traditional 3D" , posted Fri 16 Dec 11:19:post reply

quote:
I'm wondering if you selected Pro Mode in the interface, though

Yeah, I'm always in Pro Mode. I heard that she talks less if you use it, but she still keeps bugging me.

Edit: Maybe the game thinks I need her to nag me because I screwed around a lot at the start for a laugh, or because early on in the game, I was curious to see what she said whenever she beeped me.

Edit2: At the second dungeon now. I've just been ignoring her completely, and I think she's only bugged me twice.

[this message was edited by Moo on Sun 25 Dec 03:06]

GekigangerV
1730th Post

PSN: gekijmo
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):Re(10):Skyward Sword: Most non-traditio" , posted Wed 11 Jan 03:24post reply

I beat the game a week ago, but haven't had anytime to get my thoughts together.

I really enjoyed the game. I don't see why some people seem to have some problems with the motion controls. I thought they were great. It made it seem like almost every encounter in the game was a puzzle in itself. I was pleasantly surprised to see that my save time was at 37 and a half hours and I didn't save after the boss so that I could finish up the gratitude crystal stuff.

Just some random thoughts I will spoiler tag just in case

I took a week or so break when the trials started because I initially wasn't a fan of the back tracking and for some reason I really dislike game sections where I am being actively chased(it kind of creeps me out), but I was able to do all of them with no hassle.

Speaking of the backtracking, they really did a good job of making sure that each time you went back to one of the places it was a bit different.

Dungeons were fairly ok, not too memorable to be honest except for the ones involving time stones. I was really impressed with the way it was implemented in the sandship and using the bow to switch it back and forth. I also liked the concept of the final dungeon, it appeared to be a little homage to the original LoZ blocked dungeon design.

Boss fights were really great in this game for the most part. For the most part it was easy enough to identify the weakness and how to use the new item to defeat the boss, but it was implemented so well. I was only disappointed in the last two fights.

Demise was very easy for me and the ending seemed rather abrupt. The final form of Ghirahim was also the easiest, but maybe it was because I found the weakness the easiest to exploit. I just watched the seeing stone hints for the first time and was shocked to see how you were supposed to fight him the first two times.

The overworld was OK, I would have liked to have seen Skyloft been continuous with it though so you could dive directly where you wanted to. I also wish that they tried to make a deeper connection between Link and his bird. I don't even remember if it had a name, only that it was special because it was red.

End of Spoiler