Mozex
445th Post

user profileedit/delete message

PSN: Mozex
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Gold Customer

"Sonic Generations: Mark of the hedgehog" , posted Thu 10 Nov 03:57post reply

I played the Sonic Generations demo on my PS3 and it was fun. Act one is played by "classic" Sonic and it's a 2d platformer with very similar feel to Sonic 2 or Sonic 3. Act two is played by "modern" Sonic and is more like an over-the-shoulder race track.

My gripes:
The physics of jumping aren't quite like the genesis games, it's slightly harder to change direction and jumping while on a slope doesn't send you off at a weird angle.

The game doesn't run very smoothly on the PS3 (or the 360 from what I've read), but people are saying that the PC version plays at a consistent 60fps if your computer is fast enough.

Be kind to goblins.

Replies:

Pollyanna
3141th Post

PSN: Lilly_Dopamine

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Sonic Generations: Mark of the hedgehog" , posted Thu 10 Nov 09:05post reply

quote:

The game doesn't run very smoothly on the PS3 (or the 360 from what I've read), but people are saying that the PC version plays at a consistent 60fps if your computer is fast enough.

I was reasonably delighted with Sonic Colors and the Sonic Generations demo made me happy enough, so I was thinking about picking it up. I didn't even know there was a PC version, though...I'll have to look into that. My PC is at least as good as a PS360, so I'll have to see if there's a demo out.

I like 3D Sonic in theory, it's just that every 3D Sonic game (except Colors, which was a mix) has had some kind of stain on it. Like "I like the running part, but the XXXXXX part, I can't stand." Thankfully, the XXXXXX part in Sonic Generations is just classic Sonic.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Mozex
446th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Sonic Generations: Mark of the hedgehog" , posted Sat 12 Nov 00:20post reply

quote:
I like 3D Sonic in theory, it's just that every 3D Sonic game (except Colors, which was a mix) has had some kind of stain on it. Like "I like the running part, but the XXXXXX part, I can't stand." Thankfully, the XXXXXX part in Sonic Generations is just classic Sonic.

Like the level hubs in Sonic Adventure.

One feature I've heard is missing from Generations is collection of chaos emeralds. That's a shame to me since it was one of my favorite aspects of the original games.

Be kind to goblins.

Dr Orochi
543th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):Sonic Generations: Mark of the hedgehog" , posted Sat 12 Nov 03:05post reply

quote:

Like the level hubs in Sonic Adventure.

One feature I've heard is missing from Generations is collection of chaos emeralds. That's a shame to me since it was one of my favorite aspects of the original games.

It still exists, but it's not as difficult or exciting as previous games. Some of the emeralds are automatically collected after certain points in the game. Pretty lame...

Mozex
448th Post

Gold Customer

"Sonic CD re-release" , posted Wed 28 Dec 03:57post reply

Sonic CD just got re-released for almost every platform under the sun including iOS and Android devices.

I'll probably buy this for PS3 eventually once I get to a store to pick up a PSN gift card ... I'm not going to trust Sony with my CC info :p

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2011/12/14/sonic-cd-available-on-xbox-360-and-ios-ps3-and-android-versions-incoming/

Be kind to goblins.

badoor
242th Post

PSN: BadoorSNK
XBL: BadoorSNK

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):Sonic CD re-release" , posted Wed 28 Dec 05:30post reply

quote:
Sonic CD just got re-released for almost every platform under the sun including iOS and Android devices.

I'll probably buy this for PS3 eventually once I get to a store to pick up a PSN gift card ... I'm not going to trust Sony with my CC info :p

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2011/12/14/sonic-cd-available-on-xbox-360-and-ios-ps3-and-android-versions-incoming/

The way SEGA is making this Sonic CD conversion is pretty impressive. True wide screen with no stretching. 60 fps bonus stages. Reduced loading. It's fantastic. And it was originally a fan-project that SEGA "officialized" (I wish Streets Of Rage Remake got the same treatment, but I guess that game might have added new properties and elements, which could be sort of shady copyright-wise maybe, as opposed to this which just recreates the game)

Usually with older 2D games it's either emulation with filters or just a complete remake. But this is just something new. It's like one of the recent HD collections of PS2 games (the good ones, not the bad UBISOFT ones).

Maou
2287th Post

"Re(2):Sonic CD re-release" , posted Wed 28 Dec 07:45:post reply

It's good news, for people who can move the little guy with a touch screen. Better still, it's got both the original and the American soundtracks, it seems. And while the original decision to alter the (wonderful) Japanese soundtrack in favor of something a little less loopy seems artisticially bankrupt, the actual product that the American composer is mostly, really good! If you could switch at any time, I'd be a happy man. Startdust Speedway Good Future is probably even better in the US version when you're racing against Metal Sonic on round 3.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 28 Dec 07:46]

Freeter
4556th Post

"Re(3):Sonic CD re-release" , posted Tue 3 Jan 08:37post reply

I'm really impressed by all the enhancements that were made for this release. Sonic 2 spindash, true widescreen and playable Tails made revisiting this game feel like a whole new experience.

There's a major flaw I've encountered thus far though: the game will sometimes mistake the Good/Bad Futures. For example, during my initial run as Sonic I collected all the Time Stones early, but still wound up in Quartz Quadrant's Bad Future for zone 3. Same thing happened with Metallic Madness zone 3. Then when I played as Tails, right in the first level I time-jumped to the Future without clearing any conditions and got sent to the Good one. I hope they release a patch for that later.

Mozex
449th Post

Gold Customer

"Sonic 4: Episode 2" , posted Wed 4 Jan 09:42post reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qJaRAUHWZig#t=0s

We can always hope this project was taken over by the people who made Sonic Generations.

Be kind to goblins.

talbaineric
6255th Post

"Re(1):Sonic 4: Episode 2" , posted Tue 24 Jan 05:34post reply

I loved this game! First Sonic game I've purchased since the Dreamcast days. I'm glad it got great reviews, although I wish that some reviewers weren't so biased because of a few past mistakes.