Daark Soulssssss - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2442 Views )

nobinobita
997th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Daark Soulssssss" , posted Wed 19 Oct 12:34post reply

I know we're all too busy playing this game to discuss it, but I figured it still deserves it's own thread.

Here are some quick thoughts:

1) It's not really THAT hard. If you just use your head and think before you act, you can overcome any obstacle in the game.

2) LOVE the gameplay. Love how every weapon has different properties, which are further affected by your stats. This is one of the only games where stat checking is fun and substantial.

3) I LOVE LOVE LOVE the setting. It's really imaginative and engrossing. I could barely contain myself when I saw the prologue, with the undead rising out of the flames. The way it was portrayed, the way they looked so wretched, the way they cradled their flames so preciously ... the realization that every person in this setting is descended from the UNDEAD filled my heart with a rush of wonder and emotion that I barely ever feel from games (or movies, or TV or most media). I know that some people want a more traditional narrative, with lots of voice overs and expository dialog (I like that too when it's well done), but I LOVE the spare storytelling in Demons Souls. Instead of being told what to feel by the narrative, I get to observe it and project my own feelings and personality into the experience.

Ah man, really starting to rant here. Anyway, I LOVE this game and wish all the success in the world to its developers.

www.art-eater.com

Replies:

GekigangerV
1721th Post

PSN: gekijmo
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Daark Soulssssss" , posted Wed 19 Oct 12:58post reply

I've heard a lot of good things about this game. I want to pick it up eventually but the rest of this year is pretty packed for me (Just got Batman and still have to get Zelda, KOF, UMvC3 and I will have to throw in some time with AE2012).

I think I will try for early next year since not much is coming out then.

Should I try to get a greatest hits version of Demon Souls first or does it not matter?

Pollyanna
3134th Post

PSN: Lilly_Dopamine

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):Daark Soulssssss" , posted Wed 19 Oct 18:32post reply

It rarely gets mentioned, but I love the soundtrack to this game! I honestly believe it's Sakuraba's best. I had played Tales of Xillia before this, which incidentally is probably his worst soundtrack.

The Chaos Covenant is so wonderfully sad if you have the Old Witches Ring. I love Quelana, too...she's kind of hilariously tsundere, but her little scenario is so great. They do so much with so little in terms of the story. Even before she revealed the truth about herself, when I realized why Quelana was sitting where she was sitting, it touched my heart.

I've heard Lautrec's story is interesting as well, but I missed out on it. If anyone knows, feel free to spoil me.

And oh my god, the crow that trades with you has the most adorable voice. I want to give her a hug.

quote:
It's not really THAT hard. If you just use your head and think before you act, you can overcome any obstacle in the game.

It's just perfectly challenging. Some parts are even too easy if you figure out a smart trick. But that's one of the things that makes the game so rewarding...getting destroyed in a seemingly impossible situation, then coming up with the most brilliant plan to overcome it.

I find that the game is quite good at determining where your "limit" is. Riiiight when I think I can't take any more, I always have a little breakthrough or see some light at the end of the tunnel. If you don't first feel that something is insurmountable, then you won't feel satisfied when you surmount it!

Knowing that anything can kill you and being engulfed in this fantastic horrific environment really makes it a fantastic horror game as well.

It's their other series (Armored Core) that gives me grief.

quote:

Should I try to get a greatest hits version of Demon Souls first or does it not matter?

I enjoyed Demons Souls when I played it, but I felt like it was a bit too rough around the edges. There were a lot of things about it that hampered my enjoyment. Some people (somehow) prefer it to Dark Souls, but in my opinion, Dark Souls totally eclipses it. If you have to pick and choose what games you play, I'd skip Demons Souls and move straight to Dark Souls.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Iggy
9302th Post

"Re(3):Daark Soulssssss" , posted Wed 19 Oct 22:53post reply

quote:
Demon vs Dark Souls

The problem in starting directly with Dark Souls is that you're going to be hit hard very brutally at the beginning. The game is geared towards people who know the basic gameplay plan of the first one at least, even if several mechanics are quite different.
Also, no level design is as clever as the first level of Demon Souls. It's clear, beautiful, makes you remember the fundamentals of the game without you even noticing you're being taught something...

Both game share most of their good points and their weak points as well (who else uses Havok in 2011?), and they are both equally unbalanced (weapons you'll find : useless-useless-useless-somewhat good if you waste your most precious elements on it - useless -useless - kill everything in 1 hit). Dark Souls polishes a lot of rough spots of Demons, but it also has an annoying new problem : even though the camera is one of the weak points of the engine, Dark has many more narrow passages than Demons, and those make the most basic controls infuriating.

If you have the time and the resources, I'd advise to play Demons until the first boss, visit a little all the levels that open up from there, loose all hope after seeing the (literally) rotten level, and jump to Dark Souls to enjoy it while many people play it.
On the other hand, since the online is useful but not absolutely necessary, you can still enjoy Demons almost offline... It all depends on you, both games are fantastic anyway.

Ishmael
4239th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b

"Re(4):Daark Soulssssss" , posted Thu 20 Oct 05:00post reply

Two quick questions:

1. Does the game allow for greater variation in character builds? In Demon you could build your character to fight in all sorts of different ways but outside of a few builds most of the customization would lead to nothing but heartache. Does Dark give you more freedom in that area or can you still royally screw yourself at the start of the game?

2. Is there anything like that wretched poison swamp this time out? I get the idea that they wanted an area you had to fully explore or check outside resources to get through. But with no map, in-game compass or landmarks that swamp, for me, tipped over from challenging to pointlessly tedious.

Pollyanna
3135th Post

"Re(5):Daark Soulssssss" , posted Thu 20 Oct 09:14post reply

quote:
1. Does the game allow for greater variation in character builds? In Demon you could build your character to fight in all sorts of different ways but outside of a few builds most of the customization would lead to nothing but heartache. Does Dark give you more freedom in that area or can you still royally screw yourself at the start of the game?

(I'm speaking from the experience of me and my friends, who are all playing with different builds)

It's a little better, partially because pyromancy is handy and (generally) doesn't scale with INT (meaning, you don't have to level up INT to use it). I think most people go with a DEX build with pyromancy on the side. DEX will also make archery nice, which is a good way to totally sneak around a bunch of problems. Going for a straight strength build will be rough, but that can be accented with pyromancy as well and you can really tear things up once you can start upgrading your weapons. I don't know anyone playing with a high Faith build, but there are tons of useful faith spells as well as numerous covenants/NPCs that accent that.

I'm going with a strict INT build and I love it. I can't use half the weapons in the game, and I die almost instantly in tons of situations, but boy can I do damage! I hit 1400 yesterday, which is pretty nuts. I had it rough in the beginning because I started as a thief (so I could get the master key for "free"), but I'm having a blast now. Sorcery/Pyromancy is especially fun because it gives you a bunch of different tools to "solve" difficult situations with. There are some spells that seem pretty useless until just the right problem appears.

quote:
Dark Souls polishes a lot of rough spots of Demons, but it also has an annoying new problem : even though the camera is one of the weak points of the engine, Dark has many more narrow passages than Demons, and those make the most basic controls infuriating.

I haven't had this experience at all, for whatever reason. The camera in Demons Souls had me screaming in frustration in so many situations, but I don't think I've had anything worse than a few instances of saying "camera!!" through clenched teeth in Dark Souls. For the record, that happens in almost every game I play, though. I have had some HUGE frustrations with the targeting system, however. The inability to cycle targets is completely ridiculous. I haven't had the problem of targeting leading me off cliffs and such like in Demons Souls, but failing to target the correct enemy 3 times in a row is nuts.

quote:
Is there anything like that wretched poison swamp this time out? I get the idea that they wanted an area you had to fully explore or check outside resources to get through. But with no map, in-game compass or landmarks that swamp, for me, tipped over from challenging to pointlessly tedious.

Mileage is going to vary on this one. The swamp in Demons Souls is my least favorite area in anything ever. The way you had to walk across tiny pathways in such a way that both of your legs were technically off the path and you were magically floating in the air, (until you got half a centimeter off and plummeted to your death) was totally infuriating.

Dark Souls has a terrible swamp that has you moving downward, with these annoying mosquitoes constantly harassing you...then when you make it to the bottom, you have to trudge through poisonous sludge. However, there's very little tightrope walking and there are generously placed save points all about. The fact that you have a free replenishable healing source also makes a lot of sections more tolerable. Oh, and you can take a fairly easy shortcut to the bottom if you have a certain key. It's just a rough area because it falls fairly early in the game, and if you don't explore other options before going there, you'll be fairly weak.

But as I said, mileage varies. I found that area a lot of fun (I probably only died 2 or 3 times), whereas rotten town in Demon Souls made me want to quit the game. Other people say the swamp in Dark Souls is the worst punishment any video game has ever dealt on someone.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Mosquiton
1800th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(6):Daark Soulssssss" , posted Thu 20 Oct 11:22:post reply

Pro tip for target cycling: double-tap the stick!

Someone told me about this last week and it really works. Now I can kill all the demons I want! Thanks target cycling! I recommend it to all my friends.

This is truly a godly game. I need some twinkling ore to upgrade my titanite catch pole. Two facts.

Edit: As for the swamp in Dark Souls compared to Demon's Souls, like Polly mentioned this Dark swamp comes much earlier in the game, where as when I went into the Demon's swamp I was already gearing my character up for endgame.

I think you'll be fine if you pack a bit of extra patience.

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Fri 21 Oct 05:37]

Fuu
8th Post

New Customer

"Re(6):Daark Soulssssss" , posted Thu 20 Oct 16:57post reply

The actual swamp in Dark Souls is fairly short compared to Demons. There is an item that will make navigating it quite faster and easier in another place, but it's improbable to stumble on it before venturing there. Possible though.

whitesword
1705th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(7):Daark Soulssssss" , posted Fri 21 Oct 08:19post reply

The swamp is nothing, the tomb of giants is where the true Dark Souls starts!

Pollyanna
3136th Post

"Re(8):Daark Soulssssss" , posted Fri 21 Oct 09:37post reply

Random notes:

-This game is full of cute girls. They should make a Dark Souls dating game. The selection of men is just as delightful, but not quite as attractive.

-Is it just me or is Gwynevere like...totally high?

-It's a shame the covenants are kind of tacked on, since they were one of the coolest concepts in the game. There are 5 (?) that give you miracles, none that give you sorcery and a lot that seem like they were only half-completed.

-I love how you can get the armor of so many of the NPCs (and some enemies) in the game. It's nice to say "That guy looks cool! I wanna look like him!" and be able to make it happen.
quote:

Just finished this area last night. That room with the ember and all the giant skeletons was NUTS. The place as a whole didn't really give me that much trouble, though, because the area was so short and they had a conveniently-located fire to rest at. I actually had more trouble in the catacombs, because I didn't have a good divine weapon. Thank god the giant skeletons don't come back to life!

As a side note, all the skeletons bowing to Nito in the room before him were super cool. So many neat visuals in the game!

quote:
The actual swamp in Dark Souls is fairly short compared to Demons. There is an item that will make navigating it quite faster and easier in another place, but it's improbable to stumble on it before venturing there. Possible though.

The enemies in that area (excluding the giants) are thankfully easy to deal with and the fire is conveniently located, so I just gave up on trying to avoid the poison and trudged through. I imagine the ring would've been a godsend if I used a short-range weapon, but with a spear or magic, the area was comparably easy. I died more times rolling off the wheels that take you to the bottom than in the sludge itself (which I don't think ever killed me, minus an accident with the giants).

quote:
Pro tip for target cycling: double-tap the stick!

Tapping R3/L3 is just now becoming natural to me. I tried double tapping last night, and I found it to be unusually difficult. Oh well, even hopping in KOF was hard at first. I'll get it soon enough.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

KTallguy
1346th Post

PSN: Hunter-KT

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(9):Daark Soulssssss" , posted Mon 24 Oct 18:26post reply

Dark Souls is amaaaaaaaazing!

I love the covenants, the multiplayer, the feel of the weapons, the level and enemy design, and the bosses!

Sometimes when I kill a boss I feel a bit like a tiny ant that just managed to poke a huge giant with a big stick enough times to kill it though. But seeing better people in videos skillfully hack and slash their way to victory brings a smile to my face :)

The Poison Swamp does suckkkkk, some of those enemies are just terrible. Like those giants that throw HUGE BOULDERS AT YOU. I just skipped them.

Now I'm in that forest and dying repeatedly to a very majestic wolf.

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

Oroch
1120th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(9):Daark Soulssssss" , posted Fri 28 Oct 17:21post reply

quote:
Random notes:

-This game is full of cute girls. They should make a Dark Souls dating game. The selection of men is just as delightful, but not quite as attractive.

-Is it just me or is Gwynevere like...totally high?

-It's a shame the covenants are kind of tacked on, since they were one of the coolest concepts in the game. There are 5 (?) that give you miracles, none that give you sorcery and a lot that seem like they were only half-completed.

-I love how you can get the armor of so many of the NPCs (and some enemies) in the game. It's nice to say "That guy looks cool! I wanna look like him!" and be able to make it happen.

Just finished this area last night. That room with the ember and all the giant skeletons was NUTS. The place as a whole didn't really give me that much trouble, though, because the area was so short and they had a conveniently-located fire to rest at. I actually had more trouble in the catacombs, because I didn't have a good divine weapon. Thank god the giant skeletons don't come back to life!

As a side note, all the skeletons bowing to Nito in the room before him were super cool. So many neat visuals in the game!

-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

flick the sticks back and forth its far faster

jUAN
4555th Post

PSN: Buttermonster
XBL: Prepaidpenguin
Wii: rofl

"Re(3):Daark Soulssssss" , posted Mon 7 Nov 20:15post reply

quote:
It rarely gets mentioned, but I love the soundtrack to this game! I honestly believe it's Sakuraba's best. I had played Tales of Xillia before this, which incidentally is probably his worst soundtrack.

And oh my god, the crow that trades with you has the most adorable voice. I want to give her a hug.

MORE TRADE

I didn't realize it was Sakuraba until Sif's theme played and it felt like I was playing Valkyrie profile. Very nice work.

---

The one thing I didn't like too much from the game is that it is a little too happy. The world of the undead seems much more colorful and happy compared to the world of the living of Boletaria. Demon's Souls gave a great sense of despair and dread. Dark Souls is more along the lines of what you would find in a more traditional fantasy story.

Minor nitpick aside I like this game a lot and was glad to hear it sold well. We need more stuff like this.

sabo10
1429th Post

"Re(4):Daark Soulssssss" , posted Fri 11 Nov 10:49:post reply

put in about 105 hours

want to start a new character so i can be a force-fag

that spell is really overpowered

> Priscilla: "We are a kind, and gentle people."

> Me: *glances at field full of impaled dudes*

[this message was edited by sabo10 on Fri 11 Nov 10:53]

jUAN
4557th Post

"Re(5):Daark Soulssssss" , posted Mon 14 Nov 08:12post reply

quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMWGsOhk3mI&feature=related

sabo10
1429th Post

"Re(6):Daark Soulssssss" , posted Mon 14 Nov 20:57post reply

when i was fighting sif i kept thinking

"yeh, keep playing this song. its making my dick stand up"

Professor
3291th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(7):Daark Soulssssss" , posted Wed 16 Nov 13:38post reply

Man, I need to pick this game up. Are the stuck bugs fixed yet?

Sabo10- Haven't seen you in a while! Hope things are going well.

jUAN
4558th Post

"Re(7):Daark Soulssssss" , posted Wed 16 Nov 20:47post reply

quote:

"yeh, keep playing this song. its making my dick stand up"

quote:
Man, I need to pick this game up. Are the stuck bugs fixed yet?

Not sure if they have been fixed in the latest patch, but had it happen once. Just used a homeward bone to teleport back to a bonfire, then continued as normal.

red falcon
6086th Post

"Re(6):Daark Soulssssss" , posted Sat 19 Nov 14:55post reply

quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMWGsOhk3mI&feature=related

This reminded me of the "black knight imitator"... that's a great idea, ha ha ha.

Best site EVER:Link Here

Grave
1409th Post

PSN: Drakee
XBL: Mikelson

"Re(7):Daark Soulssssss" , posted Sat 19 Nov 16:27post reply

WAS THAT JUST

WHO JUST

DID I JUST SEE

COULD IT BE...?!

Red Falcon
6088th Post

PSN: Rugalbgood
XBL: RugalBGood
Wii: Doesitmatter?

"Re(8):Daark Soulssssss" , posted Sun 20 Nov 02:30:post reply

It just might be! And why the hell doesn't anyone here use Live? Ha ha ha... online play is invariably more laggy.

[this message was edited by Red Falcon on Sun 20 Nov 02:47]

Iggy
9307th Post

"Re(9):Daark Soulssssss" , posted Sun 20 Nov 05:05post reply

That's the most terrifying being I've ever seen: Beatrice with a Bernstein-quality moustache.

Brrrrr.

Red Falcon
6088th Post

"Re(10):Daark Soulssssss" , posted Sun 20 Nov 12:34post reply

quote:
That's the most terrifying being I've ever seen: Beatrice with a Bernstein-quality moustache.

Brrrrr.

? I see no moustache. Ha ha, how's it going, Iggy? Been a while.

kofoguz
949th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(10):Daark Soulssssss" , posted Sun 20 Nov 13:06post reply

quote:

Brrrrr.

You sure dont like the moustaches, do you?

Iggy
9308th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Daark Soulssssss" , posted Sun 20 Nov 20:45post reply

quote:

Red Falcon=Rugal= manly shadow Moustache appearing on each image and each word associated with this name. Just how Nature intended.
I'm fine, loathing England a little more every day, which is a healthy thing for a fine French lad as I.
How's it been?

Red Falcon
6089th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Daark Soulssssss" , posted Mon 21 Nov 14:45post reply

quote:

Red Falcon=Rugal= manly shadow Moustache appearing on each image and each word associated with this name. Just how Nature intended.
I'm fine, loathing England a little more every day, which is a healthy thing for a fine French lad as I.
How's it been?

Same as always. Hadn't been here in a while, figured I'd check in and see how things were going. Seems pretty much the same, ha ha ha.