Anime recomendation, please!!! - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2794 Views )

Oh my
44th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Rare Customer

"Anime recomendation, please!!!" , posted Wed 20 Jul 03:26post reply

i liked anime in the visual side but then when i realize how dramatic they are i started to have conflicts Looking for an anime to watch.

I asked this question in other forum with not success. Let’s try if you guys understand me.

I don’t like any of the “new” popular anime in sites like animefreak or animeratio. Code gias, no wayyyyyyyyyyyy, I consider the English vs Japan thing so stupid I almost vomit and its too dramatic.

My prefferences Papuwa and cawboy bebop:

Papuwa, because of the humor and crazy stuff and cowboy bebop because of the science fiction, humor and not so dramatic plot, its was too creative. Strangely when I saw it well its reminds me futurama, obviously 100% better (I wonder if that anime inspired futurama creators).

Any anime recommendations?

what?

Replies:

Moo
51th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Anime recomendation, please!!!" , posted Wed 20 Jul 13:06post reply

Not quite sure I understand exactly what you'd like to watch, but I'll just recommend some of the stuff I liked:

Story and/or visuals: Eve no Jikan, Kara no Kyoukai, Katanagatari, Spice and Wolf, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Comedy: Minamike (season 1 only), Lucky Star, Maria+Holic, Ika Musume (starts slow, gets better), Nichijou

I've been told that Madoka Magica and Durarara are good.

mbisonhatclub
323th Post

PSN: hadoolket
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):Anime recomendation, please!!!" , posted Wed 20 Jul 13:15:post reply

quote:
i liked anime in the visual side but then when i realize how dramatic they are i started to have conflicts Looking for an anime to watch.

I asked this question in other forum with not success. Let’s try if you guys understand me.

I don’t like any of the “new” popular anime in sites like animefreak or animeratio. Code gias, no wayyyyyyyyyyyy, I consider the English vs Japan thing so stupid I almost vomit and its too dramatic.

My prefferences Papuwa and cawboy bebop:

Papuwa, because of the humor and crazy stuff and cowboy bebop because of the science fiction, humor and not so dramatic plot, its was too creative. Strangely when I saw it well its reminds me futurama, obviously 100% better (I wonder if that anime inspired futurama creators).

>cawboy bebop

join the m.bison hat club today
i'm not just the president i'm also a client

[this message was edited by mbisonhatclub on Wed 20 Jul 13:17]

Loona
437th Post

PSN: IkariLoona

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Anime recomendation, please!!!" , posted Wed 20 Jul 17:53post reply

I can't recommend Abenobashi Mahou Shotengai enough - if Excel Saga's "something different gets parodied every episode" structure appeals to you, this certainly will, but it has a more serious and down-to-Earth story behind that to even things out.

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Mosquiton
1783th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):Anime recomendation, please!!!" , posted Thu 21 Jul 06:41post reply

quote:

This may not be what you're looking for, and I may be putting my rugged, masculine reputation at MMCafe on the line by recommending a shoujo manga (if I had such a reputation, anyway), but NANA is pretty great and you should watch it.

It certainly indulges in some melodrama as the series progresses, which isn't exactly my thing, but it's still just really solid and watchable. There's a vicious hook to keep you watching in the way they frame the story, but I can forgive it one because it's clever and makes for good drama, but more importantly because the characters are great and do interesting things. Madhouse really nails the production, as well. The sound design and (Japanese) voice acting are fucking exceptional.

I found it randomly on Netflix and started watching it with my wife, and was really, really surprised at how much I liked it. Along with Death Note, this is the only anime I've seen in forever that I would actively recommended.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that, like the central characters, I moved from a small town to the big city in my early 20s in the late 90s/early 200s. The experiences and emotional texture just feels very familiar and real to me.... so your experience may vary.

Also from a male perspective, while there are a lot of anime chicks I've thought about sleeping with, in that abstract way one thinks about having sex with a fictional character, I actually fell in love with Nana O.

But hey, since you're a girl (that's my impression, at least), you're the "target demographic". So go forth and consume this fine product!

Man, I really unloaded some personal feeling here. Anyway, try giving it a give a few episodes.

/ / /

Oh my
45th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(2):Anime recomendation, please!!!" , posted Fri 22 Jul 03:29post reply

quote:
This may not be what you're looking for,

quote:

Komatsu Nana moves to Tokyo, following after her boyfriend Shouji to gain a life she has always dreamed of. On a train bound for Tokyo, she meets Osaki Nana, the vocalist for the punk rock band "Blast", also moving to Tokyo to achieve her dreams of becoming a professional. Sharing the same name, the two of them perhaps through a twist of fate, ended up becoming flat mates in Tokyo, where together they support each other through each of their love lives and careers. Based on the manga by Yazawa Ai.

OH YEAH your soooooooooo rigth, with that description theres no way i am going to try hahahahaha.Romance is not my thing.

quote:
Along with Death Note, this is the only anime I've seen in forever that I would actively recommended.so your experience may vary

OH YEAH its does, Death note ah, its was cool until that stupid blonde girl appear, with that sweet pop princess diva drama, NO WAY.

I dont know why that blonde girl character reminds me of Hilary Duff in her teen days(Disney channel 90’s teen pop sensation)

Hey, do you like music related themes? I recommend you this:
Yhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9MqmKXH-sA
watch it everyone!(hehehehehe)

what?

GekigangerV
1713th Post

PSN: gekijmo

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Anime recomendation, please!!!" , posted Sat 30 Jul 10:01post reply

You can try Trigun, Rurouni Kenshin, Sexy Commando Gaiden Sugoi Yo Masaru-san, Space Runway Ideon, Transformers Headmasters, Street Fighter II V, and Street Fighter II The Animated Movie.

Just some simple recommendations.

Moo
54th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Anime recomendation, please!!!" , posted Sat 30 Jul 19:36post reply

I hear a lot of good things about the Rurouni Kenshin OVAs.

Oh my
46th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(3):Anime recomendation, please!!!" , posted Tue 2 Aug 05:22post reply

quote:

I saw the series when i was a girl, good times. I found funny kenshins personality desorder. By that series i got more interested about japan than my own country not only me, many kids got japan fever in the 90's.

I remember kenshins powerful technique translated in spanish: makakeru-riurono-kirameki, funny name.

what?

GekigangerV
1714th Post

"Re(3):Anime recomendation, please!!!" , posted Wed 3 Aug 22:00post reply

quote:

The first oav is taken from a chapter of the manga during the jinchu arc. It is undeniably excellent. However, the second oav, Reflection, I thought was very terrible and even Watsuki said he didn't like it.

Anyway, a new Kenshin anime is coming out soon and I hope it covers the jinchu arc.

Tai-Pan
504th Post

PSN: n/a
XBL: Kusanagi82

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Anime recomendation, please!!!" , posted Fri 5 Aug 05:50post reply

quote:

This may not be what you're looking for, and I may be putting my rugged, masculine reputation at MMCafe on the line by recommending a shoujo manga (if I had such a reputation, anyway), but NANA is pretty great and you should watch it.

Thank you...You just helped drop my testosterone levels to a new low level.
I gave NANA a chance following your advice...and I liked it...I loved it..and my wife loved it too...so now even If I try to fight the urge to watch it she will make me...

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Mosquiton
1790th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(3):Anime recomendation, please!!!" , posted Fri 5 Aug 09:31post reply

quote:

I gave NANA a chance following your advice...and I liked it...I loved it..and my wife loved it too...so now even If I try to fight the urge to watch it she will make me...

Hah, no problem dude. This is definitely a case where I thought, oh, something for the wife to watch when I'm not around. But two episodes in I was thinking damn, this is objectively good dramatic stuff.

I feel kind of validated now. Before I was thinking, man, why did I bother posting this.

/ / /

GekigangerV
1715th Post

"Re(4):Anime recomendation, please!!!" , posted Fri 5 Aug 22:43post reply

quote:

Hah, no problem dude. This is definitely a case where I thought, oh, something for the wife to watch when I'm not around. But two episodes in I was thinking damn, this is objectively good dramatic stuff.

I feel kind of validated now. Before I was thinking, man, why did I bother posting this.

Have you guys seen the live action movie? I thought the first one was very excellent, but was disappointed with the second movie. I really loved Ito Yuna's performance of endless story.

Oh my
48th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(3):Anime recomendation, please!!!" , posted Sat 6 Aug 04:29post reply

quote:

Is this sarcasm? Lowering testosterone levels is considered good? HAHAHAHAHAHAH (i am going to pretend i never pay attention to this) hehehe

I give NaNa a try the first 3 episodes and I can’t deny it’s caught me, its well developed, liked that metro life setting. The drama is kind of modern and realistic, I knew some girls who had this drama issues.

But by MY girl point of view it remind me why I cursed the day I got in puberty.

what?

Pollyanna
3084th Post

PSN: Lilly_Dopamine

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(4):Anime recomendation, please!!!" , posted Sat 6 Aug 04:46post reply

Whenever I see an anime recommendation thread, I want to un-recommend stuff that people have recommended. But that's just rude.

On the subject of NANA, I really loved the manga for a while, but I eventually got too angry at the characters. In the same way that I get frustrated at friends who ignore good advice and wreck their lives, I got frustrated with...pretty much everyone in the series. On one hand, I hated to see bad things happen to them, but on the other hand, I resented them for doing bad things to themselves. It was like "Do you even DESERVE a happy ending anymore?"

That doesn't detract from the quality of the series...just the opposite, really, but it made me have to step back from it and I never returned.

I never saw the second movie. I was pleasantly surprised with the first. Having already read (much of) the manga, I wasn't too excited about the anime, but I enjoyed the opening and closing themes enough to try to learn "Rose" on bass.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Tai-Pan
505th Post

PSN: n/a
XBL: Kusanagi82

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):Anime recomendation, please!!!" , posted Sat 6 Aug 06:42post reply

quote:

Is this sarcasm? Lowering testosterone levels is considered good? HAHAHAHAHAHAH (i am going to pretend i never pay attention to this) hehehe

I was being honest/"funny"
And yes I'm still watching Nana on a daily basis. I don't regret it. As Polly said I would hate to see such situations unfold in real life. But I just like the characters, the settings and the overall production values too much to ignore this anime.

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

nobinobita
970th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):Anime recomendation, please!!!" , posted Sat 6 Aug 06:49post reply

quote:

Tatami Galaxy and Kemonozume are my two favorite shows of recent years.

You can watch Tatami Galaxy for free (legally!) here:

http://www.hulu.com/the-tatami-galaxy

I dunno if it'll be your cup of tea, but try to stick with it for at least 3 episodes. It's really good!

Tiger and Bunny is also pretty cool. I watched a few episodes of it and it was fun.

If you want an awesome movie please pick up Redline when it comes out on DVD. It's fantastic beyond words.

www.art-eater.com

Pollyanna
3086th Post

PSN: Lilly_Dopamine

"Re(2):Anime recomendation, please!!!" , posted Sat 6 Aug 07:08post reply

quote:

Tiger and Bunny is also pretty cool. I watched a few episodes of it and it was fun.

Have you gotten to Lunatic yet? I love him so much. I'm just on my toes whenever he shows up. He was the focus of a recent episode, and I feel like the show can only go downhill from there.

When I started watching the show, I thought it was pretty mediocre, but strangely addictive. Even though I wasn't really pulled in, for whatever reason, I kept watching. I'm glad, though...it's only gotten better and better. If you were happy with the early episodes, I would enthusiastically encourage you to keep watching.

The show has "star power". I would recommend it to anyone, whether they were into anime or not. I'm glad it has some meat to back up its natural charm, though.

Have you seen Sacred Seven? If T&B is Sunrise's shot at American Superheroes, Sacred Seven is the Japanese side. Very much like an old tokusatsu show. You in particular should check out the first episode, at least. The animation in the big battle is totally amazing. I was so-so on the show, but the final battle in that episode just blew me away. I thought "if there's only one more battle like this in the rest of the show, it'll be worth watching every episode just so I don't miss it."

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

nobinobita
971th Post

"Re(3):Anime recomendation, please!!!" , posted Sat 6 Aug 07:36post reply

quote:

Have you seen Sacred Seven? If T&B is Sunrise's shot at American Superheroes, Sacred Seven is the Japanese side. Very much like an old tokusatsu show. You in particular should check out the first episode, at least. The animation in the big battle is totally amazing. I was so-so on the show, but the final battle in that episode just blew me away. I thought "if there's only one more battle like this in the rest of the show, it'll be worth watching every episode just so I don't miss it."

I've only seen the first couple of episodes of Tiger and Bunny. I liked it! It wasn't moving or anything, but it was fun and just felt like a good story. I like the idea of corporate sponsored Super Heroes. Previous takes on this sort of thing have been very political and cynical. I like how sunny the show is so far. I agree that it's the kind of show anyone can enjoy, not just anime fans.

I will give Sacred Seven a shot, thanks for the recommendation! I'll watch anything if it has fun fights. I finally got an HD TV recently, so I'm all excited bout movies, shows and games again.

www.art-eater.com

Oh my
49th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(5):Anime recomendation, please!!!" , posted Sat 6 Aug 07:48post reply

quote:
On the subject of NANA, I really loved the manga for a while, but I eventually got too angry at the characters. In the same way that I get frustrated at friends who ignore good advice and wreck their lives,

That's whats called realistic, not everything in life is pink. No matter how Many good advice you receive you can't escape the fact we are slaves of a system with limited space, lovely.

I liked the lesbian looking character, the singer. She is cool and take everything cool. Does the series have an unhappy ending? Because if it does then I like it

what?

GekigangerV
1718th Post

"Re(6):Anime recomendation, please!!!" , posted Sat 6 Aug 16:18:post reply

quote:
On the subject of NANA, I really loved the manga for a while, but I eventually got too angry at the characters. In the same way that I get frustrated at friends who ignore good advice and wreck their lives,

That's whats called realistic, not everything in life is pink. No matter how Many good advice you receive you can't escape the fact we are slaves of a system with limited space, lovely.

I liked the lesbian looking character, the singer. She is cool and take everything cool. Does the series have an unhappy ending? Because if it does then I like it

if you want something with an unhappy ending, i recommend zeta gundam.... or end of evangelion lol. but number one pick for that is of course grave of the fireflies.

[this message was edited by GekigangerV on Sat 6 Aug 17:30]

Loona
447th Post

PSN: IkariLoona

Gold Customer

"Re(7):Anime recomendation, please!!!" , posted Sun 7 Aug 08:55post reply

quote:

if you want something with an unhappy ending, i recommend zeta gundam.... or end of evangelion lol. but number one pick for that is of course grave of the fireflies.

There's always Ideon in that category too (the movies are probably the best way to watch it).

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Moo
55th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(8):Anime recomendation, please!!!" , posted Sun 7 Aug 17:46post reply

Berserk is another anime that doesn't have a happy ending. They're redoing it at the moment, so you might want to wait for that.

gekigangerv
1718th Post

"Re(9):Anime recomendation, please!!!" , posted Tue 9 Aug 09:34post reply

quote:
Berserk is another anime that doesn't have a happy ending. They're redoing it at the moment, so you might want to wait for that.

The 1998 series is more of a "please buy and read the manga" ending, but Miura has said at one point (don't remember when) that the manga will have a happy ending.

Oh my
54th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(7):Anime recomendation, please!!!" , posted Fri 12 Aug 11:46:post reply

quote:
I like the idea of corporate sponsored Super Heroes. Previous takes on this sort of thing have been very political and cynical. I like how sunny the show is so far. I agree that it's the kind of show anyone can enjoy, not just anime fans.

The series really got me by the eye, so full of colors *_*
It's funny this super heroes full of advertising, showing how aggressive the market is. Poor tiger suffering the market struggle
quote:

I watch evangelion and like it. Like the gears, like the setting, all the characters were screw up by their work. Young kids being screw. I like the father/son drama and how this mean father mess up his wimpy kid(hehehe).

what?

[this message was edited by Oh my on Fri 12 Aug 11:55]

nobinobita
973th Post

"Re(10):Anime recomendation, please!!!" , posted Fri 12 Aug 11:47post reply

quote:

The 1998 series is more of a "please buy and read the manga" ending, but Miura has said at one point (don't remember when) that the manga will have a happy ending.

Got me totallllly hooked. I remember I started watching the series on a lark fansubbed on VHS (!!!) and I got instantly hooked. It didn't have a big budget, it wasn't animated that well, but it was paced very well, the music was fantastic and the characters came through incredibly well. When I got to the ending my jaw was agape for the entire half hour, culminating in the biggest cliff hanger everrrrrr.

I immediately sought out the comics, which was a slow process that involved saving up money then going to visit my brother in NY and hitting up the Kinokuniya every few months. Worth every penny!

Good times!

www.art-eater.com

Spoon
2228th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Anime recomendation, please!!!" , posted Sun 14 Aug 06:04post reply

REDLINE is now available with English subtitles, rendering all other anime, even Penguin Drum, unimportant for at least a week. Maybe longer.

Spoon
2230th Post

"REDLINE days" , posted Mon 15 Aug 22:58post reply

Dear nobi,

At what point can I stop watching REDLINE over and over again? I feel like it's obliterating all of my free time, and I am stuck between being inspired to go out and do things and wanting to watch REDLINE again.

nobinobita
974th Post

"Re(1):REDLINE days" , posted Tue 16 Aug 00:28post reply

quote:
Dear nobi,

At what point can I stop watching REDLINE over and over again? I feel like it's obliterating all of my free time, and I am stuck between being inspired to go out and do things and wanting to watch REDLINE again.

The proper thing to do after watching Redline is to reach deeply into your soul, converse with your inner child and find out what you've always really wanted to do. Then spend the next 5 years pursuing that thing with intense vigor. Whether you reach your goal or not is secondary to whether you tried or not. Plus in the process you will meet a kindred spirit and fall into passionate earth shattering love and maybe make/adopt some babies who will carry on your burning spirit.

Now where can I buy this movie? I'm throwing money at my screen, but it's not showing up in search results on Amazon!!!

www.art-eater.com

Freeter
4545th Post

"Re(2):REDLINE days" , posted Tue 16 Aug 00:57post reply

quote:
I am stuck between being inspired to go out and do things and wanting to watch REDLINE again.

Why not do both? Put Redline on your phone and watch it in between errands.

quote:
Now where can I buy this movie? I'm throwing money at my screen, but it's not showing up in search results on Amazon!!!

UK BD drops on Sept. 6, so throw money at Amazon UK instead and see if they'll bite.

Oh my
54th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):REDLINE days" , posted Tue 16 Aug 09:50post reply

quote:
The proper thing to do after watching Redline is to reach deeply into your soul, converse with your inner child and find out what you've always really wanted to do. Then spend the next 5 years pursuing that thing with intense vigor. Whether you reach your goal or not is secondary to whether you tried or not. Plus in the process you will meet a kindred spirit and fall into passionate earth shattering love and maybe make/adopt some babies who will carry on your burning

Wow, your are good at counseling, you should open a "dear nobi " line. Type on your mobile 555 dear nobi for only 99 cent to start the day. (hehehehe)

quote:
Why not do both? Put Redline on your phone and watch it in between errands.

The marvel of i phone i am totally in love with. The main key of distraction that can cause the funniest or saddest accidents.

what?

Oroch
1118th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(3):Re(10):Anime recomendation, please!!!" , posted Sat 20 Aug 04:38post reply

quote:
REDLINE is now available with English subtitles, rendering all other anime, even Penguin Drum, unimportant for at least a week. Maybe longer.

where is my damn blu ray

karasu99
720th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(4):Re(10):Anime recomendation, please!!!" , posted Wed 24 Aug 01:37post reply

I watched, of all things, Evangelion 2.22 last night and I've got to say-- it's just freaking gorgeously animated. So much so that I spent I don't know how much longer after watching it watching the 'creation of' reel where the different stages of its animation are presented in a split-screen manner. I suppose it's some minor kind of spoiler, so...

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
There's a scene where all three Eva units are running across the landscape, and the impression of speed and scale is fantastic. Little tiny cars and subway trains are thrown into the air and huge power lines are leaped over like hurdles. Even in the original I was fascinated by how much of Tokyo 3 was built to support Evas running around like mad across it, and it's been made even more so in the remake: huge bunkers rise up from the ground to provide a platform for Evas to run around on and leap off of.

End of Spoiler

Also, I will second (or third) the suggestion that someone made way back about Tatami Galaxy. While I found the speed of the subtitles to strain even my relatively fast reading speed, it was beautifully done in a completely different way from a monster like Evangelion.

Also also: Eden of the East was enjoyable recently as well, but I'm surprised to see that the movie has not yet made it to the US market, at least not in a way that I can find that doesn't involve a torrent and has me actually trading a few dollars for it.

www.secret-arts.com

nobinobita
999th Post

"Mooooody indie animation" , posted Thu 3 Nov 13:57post reply

I just saw this pretty neato short and thought I'd share:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml8VnJQcL5E

It's nothing mind blowing technically (just very solidly designed and directed with tasteful use of cel shading), but I really like the mood of it.

www.art-eater.com

HAYATO
1049th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):Mooooody indie animation" , posted Thu 3 Nov 17:24post reply

For anyone interested in cyberpunk stuff, I'd recommend the Mardock Scramble trilogy. So far, only the first entry of the series has been released, but IIRC, the second one should be out in theaters soon.

The story is a bit archetypical, albeit quite refreshing due to some plot devices and good, somewhat original characters that make the film engaging and enjoyable. Don't expect another GitS, but it probably is the closest we are going to get to for a while...

I warn you though: the first film ends in a major cliffhanger (even worse than the ending of 1995 Mortal Kombat). If you are the kind of person who hates this, I'd suggest to avoid it until the sequel is out...

nobinobita
1000th Post

"Re(2):Mooooody indie animation" , posted Thu 3 Nov 18:48post reply

quote:
For anyone interested in cyberpunk stuff, I'd recommend the Mardock Scramble trilogy. So far, only the first entry of the series has been released, but IIRC, the second one should be out in theaters soon.

Just did a quick google search and found some gorgeous art by my favorite illustrators:

Katsuya Terada

and

Range Murata

Delicious!

www.art-eater.com

HAYATO
1050th Post

"Re(3):Mooooody indie animation" , posted Fri 4 Nov 00:34post reply

quote:

Just did a quick google search and found some gorgeous art by my favorite illustrators:

Katsuya Terada

and

Range Murata

Delicious!

Wow, thanks for the pics, Nobi!! Despite being a mere thumbnail, Terada's cover looks awesome, as (almost) everything he does.

Now that you mention Terada, you made me recall I have yet to purchase Saiyukiden Daienoh vol.2 . Did you get a look at it already? In case it's any good, I don't know whether I'll be able to wait for an English release...

And what about your essay on researching Asura's Wrath's art influences? I'm eager to read it, and I bet I'm not the only one...

simonbelmont
150th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Anime recomendation, please!!!" , posted Sat 5 Nov 13:34post reply

Urotsukidōji

Best in tentacle rape since 1989. With cameo by Senor Adolf!

Moo
62th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Mooooody indie animation" , posted Sat 5 Nov 19:55post reply

I was browsing through independent anime on YouTube a few months ago. Like with indie games, it's interesting to see what people come up with.
Here's the search tag, for anyone else who's interested.