disposable systems - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2288 Views )

Oh my
41th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Rare Customer

"disposable systems" , posted Wed 6 Jul 00:32post reply

So since, the new super mega stylish new technology in graphics, processors and bla,bla,bla in gaming system, came, the consoles has become more delicate than a crystal figurine. I always heard that since little so in my house we treat them like crystal figurine. But now seem like the consoles are more like a disposable device than it’s delicate.

Everybody say the economy is bad but sometimes I doubt about it. Damn how a company can survive making a console that for many people is known that it crashed in 1 to 2 years, because people buy more.

My brother got his Ps3 and when he heard about the rumor he got crazy because he “spend” $500. Every time a friend’s PS3 got crashed he got: “lalalalalala can’t hear you”. He thought he was lucky because he is very delicate with his things, very manic. Until 2 years passed and the orange light day came, it was funny, he got another, anyway.

About microsoft,one day, a “bird” told my mom that is true that they made the X-box with the intention to last a few years.

So, I am just curious.

years your PS3 have last
1 year
2 years and the orange light appears, so its dead.
2 years and the orange light appears, so its dead. but i can fix it (share your story)
I am lucky, my PS3 havent crashed since i bought it more than 3 years.

years your X box lasted until it crashed.
1 year
2 years and it crashes.
2 years and it crashed, but i can fix it.
I am lucky, it last more than 3 years since i bought it.
years your wii lasted
1 year
2 years
3 or more than 3 years
nintendo is known to be good in manufactoring practices on their electronics devices
I dont agree nintendo is good in GMP

what?

Replies:

Baines
289th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):disposable systems" , posted Wed 6 Jul 05:58post reply

It didn't start this generation, although the 360 was notorious with its estimated 33% failure rate.

Microsoft's issues were mostly attributed to bad design and failed attempts to save money, and not planned failure. Microsoft made some bad deals with parts suppliers (netting them not only some shoddy hardware, but shoddy hardware that they paid too much for). Bad design describes the clamp that is the wrong shape to deal with the board warping. Bad design is also Microsoft supposedly cutting the fan speed in order to reduce noise (which led to more heat build up, which led to more warping, which led to chips breaking free of the board.)

As for Sony, I'm not really sure what their deal is. Shinji Mikami vocally believed that Sony has for many years built their hardware to fail, and that is a theory that isn't only his. I just know that within a month of purchase, my PS2 slim wasn't able to read a disc with even the most minor scratch.

As for Nintendo, I think Nintendo likes to save money (or make money) by delivering the minimum that will do what they desire. That certainly describes their design for the Wii, and is the reason the Wii's motion control is so poor. That attitude itself is enough to increasingly lead to hardware failure, as hardware gets more complicated. (The stories that WiiConnect24 could lead to systems overheating was bad design though. The issue being that WiiConnect24 caused the system to continue to use noticeable power even when off, but as it was "off", the fan wouldn't come on if the system got too hot. When combined with Wii's sitting for months at a time without ever being turned on, some people found their systems started failing.)

GekigangerV
1704th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):disposable systems" , posted Wed 6 Jul 06:37post reply

I am lucky with my Sony consoles I guess. Never had a problem that wasn't my own (broke my first PS2 by using magic slide to play JPN games). The PS1 was iffy, but you just had to flip it upside down and it would play games. Got my PS3 just over 3 years ago when MGS4 came out and it working fine.

I want to get a 360, but I have been scared off by the RROD stories. Some of my friends needed to send in their consoles multiple times to get fixed and I really don't want to put up with the hassle if it happens to me. How are the failure rates on the newer versions of the 360?

Pollyanna
3066th Post

PSN: Lilly_Dopamine
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(3):disposable systems" , posted Wed 6 Jul 07:42post reply

quote:
How are the failure rates on the newer versions of the 360?

From what I hear, it's not an issue. Probably more reliable than an old PS3?

So, here's my record...

I bought a PS1 when it came out in Japan, and that got...well...it would work, but not happily. That got replaced with a modded US system.

My Dreamcast completely died late enough in it's life to never be replaced.

My PS2 never stopped working, but it got to the point that I was calibrating the laser, so I bought a slim, which is still working.

I broke my PSP, which is entirely my fault, even if it is a little fragile.

I have had 3 360s and none of them have died or acted up on me even once. I had a launch American one, sold it and got a Blue Dragon Japanese bundle and eventually got a US Slim recently.

My PS3 yellow-lighted a few months back. I fixed it twice, but didn't want to chance it anymore. I got it to work long enough to transfer its stuff to a slim, which is thankfully much quieter and has a much larger hard drive.

Never replaced a Nintendo system, but didn't buy an N64 or Gamecube. All other unmentioned systems never stopped working?

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Freeter
4540th Post

"Re(4):disposable systems" , posted Wed 6 Jul 08:27post reply

The only system I owned that died on me was my PS1, but that thing was getting HEAVY rotation not only from myself, but also friends and family. Even my poor controller took a lot of abuse.

Aside from that, every other system I owned is still intact, including my Dreamcast.

Pollyanna
3067th Post

"Re(5):disposable systems" , posted Wed 6 Jul 08:39post reply

quote:

Aside from that, every other system I owned is still intact, including my Dreamcast.

Do Dreamcasts have a bad reputation for failing? I have to admit, it's the first system that has irreparably died on me.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

karasu99
681th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(6):disposable systems" , posted Wed 6 Jul 10:50post reply

quote:

Do Dreamcasts have a bad reputation for failing? I have to admit, it's the first system that has irreparably died on me.

The GDROM drives eventually break down. Mine is teetering on the edge of failure right now-- it plays most games, but ever now and then it just won't read a disc that previously worked fine, and that are meticulously scratch-free.

Speaking of which (and still sort of on topic), can anyone suggest a place in the US that can replace a GDR, or is it easy enough that I'm unlikely to destroy it by trying to do it myself?

www.secret-arts.com

sfried
694th Post

PSN: n/a
Wii: 8963437745913552

"Re(2):disposable systems" , posted Wed 6 Jul 13:30post reply

Never had an issue with any Nintendo console I've had, despite some abuse it might have encountered. My cousins PS2 has been lucky to survive 2 years, but it stopped reading disks.

Gojira
2757th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
Wii: 80085

"Re(6):disposable systems" , posted Wed 6 Jul 13:44:post reply

My PS3 is still working and pretty old. It's one of those discontinued phat 60GBs, and I occasionally play PS1 and PS2 games on it so I do everything I can to keep it running. So far the worst that's happened is the HDMI port stopped working, but the composite is still fine. Going on 5 years now.

My core-package 360 RROD'd after 5 years, so yeah they fail. But up until then it ran pretty much flawlessly, so I can't complain. And it was rather easily sent in and repaired and still works like new. Unlike my Dreamcast...

quote:

All I know is that my drive failed within a year of my DC purchase, so I've been constantly left with the impression that they weren't well-constructed (in the US region at least). It never worked 100% since, as some games would just lock up after a while or not even run to begin with. To be clear, though: I had it modded when the drive had to be replaced, so that may also have had something to do with it.

Recently it finally broke down completely and developed console alzheimer's. Doesn't recognize its own games anymore, just boots to the bootup screen with the same 1999 date and returns to menu whenever I try to start something. I don't have the heart to put it out to pasture so it sits on my shelf as a monument to its former self. Saddest console death ever.

[this message was edited by Gojira on Wed 6 Jul 13:47]

Ishmael
4134th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b

"Re(7):disposable systems" , posted Wed 6 Jul 21:37post reply

It's bad enough that the dead battery VMU makes that emergency siren BEEEEEP whenever the system is turned on but now hearing that my DC itself is living on borrowed time is disturbing. I may have to move the poor thing to some sort of console hospice.

It seems that any disc based console is eventually going to have problems because of the motor. Any console I have that requires you to blow into the cartidge slot before use are still going strong.

Notable console issues I've had:

My PS2 feels rickety but I also modded the dumb thing myself. Performing DIY home surgery when you don't know what you're doing is not a good way to extend a system's life.

The used XBox I once owned quit spinning but I rode that one hard and put it away wet so I never felt a sense of loss for that console death.

The eject system on my PS3 gummed up but that was an annoyance instead of a catastrophic failure.

In much more frightening news, my Saturn had problems. Thankfully, I was able to get that fixed. Just the thought of being able to play Vampire Savior at the touch of a button is a comfort.

Nekros
365th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(8):disposable systems" , posted Wed 6 Jul 22:01post reply

quote:
In much more frightening news, my Saturn had problems. Thankfully, I was able to get that fixed. Just the thought of being able to play Vampire Savior at the touch of a button is a comfort.

Just tought about mine few days ago.
My pal Saturn does have problem with the lens; it can read games, but when you play for certain amount of time and decide to change disc you can't play anymore. It shows me white lines on the dashboard images and startup screen, and the game doesn't start.
Also, the ST Key doesn't work well on my jap Saturn with certain games (Guardian Heroes pal version and Azel american version).

Adaptors are quite an issue, I admit. Nintendo console adaptors were incredible, but now they function very strangely to me. My N64 universal adaptor simply works certain times and not with all games (Sin & Punishment and Kirby not working), while snes one is simply a pain in the ass....it works, but takes several tries...and I'm not talking about 5-6 times, but 20-30!!!

My record, not so terrible anyway:

- First PS1 I bought, problem with disc reading, sold it and replaced with my current one, still groundbreaking.

- Sega 32X ceased to function without reason.

- Sold my 360 before RROD and replaced with a slim model that I trust better. Still hate as hell the system.

- My silver PSP had issues with UMD flap, it was not closing well and caused problem to disc reading.

- My white DS lite was ruined by my girlfriend, accidentally but forever. It now lacks a component that links the upper screen with the lover part, still fine functioning but I have to handle it with EXTREME caution and not using the console as "portable" anymore.

- My DUO, japanese Megadrive and DUO-RX ceased to funcioning without any clue.

Spoon
2196th Post

"Re(9):disposable systems" , posted Wed 6 Jul 23:23post reply

quote:
It now lacks a component that links the upper screen with the lover part

This is the most wonderful typo I have read all week!

karasu99
683th Post

"Re(10):disposable systems" , posted Thu 7 Jul 01:18post reply

quote:

HA! Yah, that made me smile as well, and I didn't even notice until you pointed it out.

I've had pretty decent success with consoles over the years. Of course I had that contact issue with both of my old NES consoles-- one of which still works about 50% of the time (as of 5 or so years ago). My launch day US PS2 is still limping along, somehow, with no sign of any kind of problem whatsoever. Granted, it's not as though I play it often. My US fat X360 still works great as well, but I don't use it as much as my other consoles. I had exactly the same US PS1 problem that someone else described above, where I used it to play pretty much imports only and toward the end of its life I had to turn it upside down to get it to work. Eventually that even failed, but by that point I had a JP region PS2 to play my PS1 games on.

Somehow I managed to find a new (as in in the box, never played before) JP Saturn a few years back that works perfectly, so with years of gentle care I think it will last.

www.secret-arts.com

nobinobita
954th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(7):disposable systems" , posted Thu 7 Jul 01:47post reply

quote:

Speaking of which (and still sort of on topic), can anyone suggest a place in the US that can replace a GDR, or is it easy enough that I'm unlikely to destroy it by trying to do it myself?

I've been going to these guys since I was a kid (in their brick and mortar days) They're legit:

http://www.estarland.com/index.asp?page=Search&category=&product=14632

www.art-eater.com

Baines
290th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(7):disposable systems" , posted Thu 7 Jul 05:09post reply

quote:
Doesn't recognize its own games anymore, just boots to the bootup screen with the same 1999 date and returns to menu whenever I try to start something.

A DC not recognizing its discs should be the GD-ROM drive failing. The date should be a battery issue. I can't remember, but was the DC the system which would reset the date if you left it unplugged for a relatively short time?

My near-launch PS1 (that was probably semi-used when I got it) never had any problems that I can recall. Never had to turn it upside down or anything, and it saw heavy usage. It still worked the last time I used it, which was well into the PS2 life cycle. (It allows single swap disc swapping, which I couldn't use with a PS2's backwards compatibility.)

My DC died near the end of the system's life, so I never bothered to replace it. It stopped recognizing discs, and attempting to adjust the laser power did nothing.

My first Gamecube was defective out of the box, with some kind of display glitch. I kept it anyway, and the drive eventually broke. My second Gamecube sounded like it was starting to develop drive problems by the time I bought a Wii. (It didn't help that some Gamecube games used the drive so aggressively that it might as well be considered abuse. There were a few titles that I was afraid to even play, as they made the drive sound like a cross between a video-cassette rewinder and a kid playing with a hammer.) Though it didn't affect me, there were reports of Gamecubes at launch that would freeze during specific parts of Rogue Squadron. It wasn't defective discs, as a freezing cube would freeze on any copy of the game.

My PS2 slim, as I said earlier, chokes the moment it encounters even the most minor scratch on a game. I don't mean "used as a drink coaster" scratching, I mean anything less than a pristine surface.

A friend got an early Xbox360 because his friend got one, it RROD'd, and the guy didn't want to bother getting it fixed, so he traded it to my friend. My friend trying to get it fixed was a typical 360 horror story involving multiple RROD's upon being "fixed", and at one point involved Microsoft sending him a defective hard drive to replace a defective hard drive. (My friend tested the replacement drive in a known working 360 where it also immediately RROD'd.) The system itself eventually had to be replaced entirely, and a year or so in, the new system is starting to sound like it is having troubles.

karasu99
687th Post

"Re(8):disposable systems" , posted Thu 7 Jul 05:28post reply

quote:

I've been going to these guys since I was a kid (in their brick and mortar days) They're legit:

http://www.estarland.com/index.asp?page=Search&category=&product=14632

Perfect, thanks! (and thanks as well for vetting them for me-- it's sometimes hard to know who is reputable and who isn't, just from looking at their site) I've got an inquiry in to them now to see what they think the problem is before I send it.

www.secret-arts.com

chazumaru
804th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(8):disposable systems" , posted Thu 7 Jul 05:35post reply

My Xbox360 was owned by my boss (he received it from EA at launch); he gave it to me in late 2006 and the console started dying in early 2011. I traded it before the RROD. So, I am not sure what I am supposed to vote here. Should I feel lucky that it died after more than three years?

Also, I think your mother and her bird are batshit insane. Nobody loses $1 billion and gets that Wikipedia page on purpose.

無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は

sfried
696th Post

PSN: n/a
Wii: 8963437745913552

"Re(8):disposable systems" , posted Thu 7 Jul 05:37:post reply

quote:
My first Gamecube was defective out of the box, with some kind of display glitch. I kept it anyway, and the drive eventually broke. My second Gamecube sounded like it was starting to develop drive problems by the time I bought a Wii. (It didn't help that some Gamecube games used the drive so aggressively that it might as well be considered abuse. There were a few titles that I was afraid to even play, as they made the drive sound like a cross between a video-cassette rewinder and a kid playing with a hammer.) Gamecubes at launch that would freeze during specific parts of Rogue Squadron. It wasn't defective discs, as a freezing cube would freeze on any copy of the game.

I've never encountered the Rogue Squadron glitch before. I do remember being affected by the Metroid Prime elevator loading freeze sequences. I sent it in to one of the Nintendo service centers around my area at that time, and apparently it was covered by the systems warranty so I had it serviced for free.

I've had my Wii glitch out on me a few times, and there was one situation where I thought my system was dead, but it turns out the power adapter has some sort of safety net and to restart it you'd have to keep your power adapter unplugged for 2 minutes. But beyond that I have not had a single disc read error with it.

quote:
As for Nintendo, I think Nintendo likes to save money (or make money) by delivering the minimum that will do what they desire. That certainly describes their design for the Wii, and is the reason the Wii's motion control is so poor. That attitude itself is enough to increasingly lead to hardware failure, as hardware gets more complicated. (The stories that WiiConnect24 could lead to systems overheating was bad design though. The issue being that WiiConnect24 caused the system to continue to use noticeable power even when off, but as it was "off", the fan wouldn't come on if the system got too hot. When combined with Wii's sitting for months at a time without ever being turned on, some people found their systems started failing.)
I have my Wii connected 24/7 and not had the overheating issue. And I hate to think your statements are a little biased considering you are linking motion control problems with...hardware design?

I've had a couple of portable Nintendo systems widthstand being dropped and they still played great. 3DS included (Yes I've slammed that thing 3 times by accident now due to accidentally tripping on the power cord while charging). If anything Nintendo's hardware is known for its reliablility.

[this message was edited by sfried on Thu 7 Jul 06:34]

Baines
291th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(9):disposable systems" , posted Thu 7 Jul 06:48post reply

quote:
I have my Wii connected 24/7 and not had the overheating issue.

It was a popular claim for a while around the first year or two of release.

The system does draw more power when WiiConnect24 is on (enough to counter claims that the Wii is a "green" console) and the fan does not come on when the system is in standby, so it is possible. The problem with overheating claims is that you never know what environments other people have their systems in. The Wii has an added quirk in that setting it upright gives it a different heat flow than setting it flat. (That's why I said "The stories", "could", and "some people".)

I turned WiiConnect24 off at the start simply because I had no use for it. I didn't even have a WiFi connection until last year. A friend did have a Gamecube memory card die from apparently heat related failure, which he'd kept plugged into his upright Wii, but I wouldn't say that was WiiConnect24 related.

The Wii does have some questionable design decisions, though. The drive bay, for example, may look sleek, but it lets dust enter. Dust buildup was the main cause of issues when Brawl was released, to the point that Nintendo offered to clean systems that were sent to them.

As for bias, I do have a particular bias against Nintendo that it as a whole does only the minimal effort it believes necessary. I believe that attitude is the reason why motion control on the Wii is as poor as it is. The hardware to enable it simply isn't up for the job. Nintendo could have spent more, but that would have in turn raised the system cost. Instead, they went with what they thought was "good enough". It was good enough to get the Wii noticed, but it wasn't good enough to deliver the experiences that Nintendo promised both developers and consumers.

Yes, Nintendo makes fairly sturdy hardware. It certainly doesn't seem to break easily. I wouldn't drop a PSP or a PS2 on the floor, but there are stories of people still being able to play a Nintendo handheld after running over it with a car and having a Wii still function after having it fall with a disc spinning in its drive. Dropping one with a disc in the drive? Some 360s will eat a disc if you even lightly bump it. (Why was the 360 so willing to eat a disc? From what I've read, Microsoft decided to save around a dollar per system by not including a few cheap cushions/spacers for the drive.)

But, like the 360 disc eating complaint suggests, hardware shortcuts aren't the flaw of just one company. And a company can be good in one area, but bad in another.

HAYATO
1038th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(10):disposable systems" , posted Thu 7 Jul 09:14post reply

Not a single one of my consoles has ever given me the slightest trouble. I'm a proud owner of the following systems:

- Sega Megadrive
- Sega 32X
- Sega Saturn
- Playstation 2
- PSP 1000
- Playstation 3

I must be a hell of a lucky guy, since all of them work as smoothly as the first time I plugged them. I had to make some nub cleaning on my PSP, but that's a given due to the extremely delicate nature of the analog stick's mechanism... and my passion for the Monster Hunter Portable series.

Maou
2219th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):disposable systems" , posted Thu 7 Jul 11:56post reply

quote:
A DC not recognizing its discs should be the GD-ROM drive failing. The date should be a battery issue. I can't remember, but was the DC the system which would reset the date if you left it unplugged for a relatively short time?

This may be a Sega tradition. I always lived in fear that my Mega CD would erase its internal memory saves if not powered on for a while, as the manual advises, and as a result I got a wonderfully pointless RAM cart that allows me to play the only three games I own (and the only three which matter), Lunar, Lunar II, and Sonic CD, worry-free. That said, neither my Japanese nor American Mega CD's have ever blank-reformatted on me. Then again, they've been at the familial house for about 1.5 years. I wonder...

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Nekros
367th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(10):disposable systems" , posted Thu 7 Jul 21:30:post reply

quote:

Cool...legit if you consider I was thinking about my girlfriend. But a typo is a typo, I give up.

Any of you had or played with a Jaguar CD? I heard of it plenty of bad things about the lifespan of the system, most of them break after few months.
Even the Angry Video Game Nerd show points this, if that counts.
In Italy Jaguar is sort of kami of trash-style videogaming, they even make tournaments and partys dedicated to this console °_°

[this message was edited by Nekros on Thu 7 Jul 21:31]

Oh my
42th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):disposable systems" , posted Fri 8 Jul 04:46post reply

Wow, I am surprise by the PS3 result, even if still not significative, anyway. Under the roof I live in, we have a Sness, 21 years, and still working. It got stored in a plastic bag inside a cardboard box for 10 years aprox since we got the PS. We set it free a year ago, never clean it, and it's like in preferct condition. The only problem is the 3 colored wires (don't know it's name), they got rusty and I think it's interfere with the image in my LCD TV. But ,damn, now i notice the sound and music quality it's so good, it's hypnotize me( if I am not getting crazy). I played earthbound, adventure island, chrono trigger, Mario RPG, secret of mana etc and nobody complains, ah, forgot, gradius and castlevania 4. I think Sness have the best music quality despise is not a CD.

The N64, 10 years still working, but for the few goods games it came for it, it can be consider it a waste of money. but it's not regrettable ( it's wasn't my money).

My game boy, the advance, the DS lite, fell on the floor a few times and still on working. It go with me everyday, everyway and it's fulfill it's duty as portable. A plastic hanger fall on my bro DS screen, it got a black dot but still working.

Sony, I don't know, but I had too much problems with that brand, the TV, the sound system, thanx my camera still works. My ps one last 7 years, I consider it fair. My bro got a ps 2 and with his extreme care lasted 10 years. But the PS3 surprise me, he never got it's full potential because he fear, never play online or connect it on internet but he coulnt escape from the inevitable.

I want to know how to fix the PS3 problem, please share.

Hey, and is not my mom is the bird. That bird worked in the manufacture process of the x box :p and u know they know the standards but they still make it. If that crap where a medical device they should be more careful.

what?

Lugos
0th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):disposable systems" , posted Tue 12 Jul 11:28post reply

I've owned quite a few video game systems and, for the most part, they've performed admirably.

Nintendo - Original version. Had this one since I was a wee lad and it occassionally had problems reading games back in the day, but nothing a good cleaning with Nintendo's official cleaning kit couldn't fix. A few years ago I took the whole thing apart and cleaned every nook and cranny. Also cleaned all my cartridges and it's worked flawlessly since.

Super Nintendo - Original version. Works like a champ and has never needed cleaning. But the upper-exterior that was once gray is now an ugly shade of puke. Needs some serious Retr0Bright.

Nomad - No problems here.

Turbo Duo - Ditto.

Saturn - Original version with oval-shaped buttons and no problems here.

PlayStation - 1000 series version and its' laser barely lasted 1 year. Succeeded by...

PlayStation - Another 1000 series version and its' laser died after 2 1/2 years. Succeeded by...

PlayStation - 7000 series version and it never died. Though it didn't get much playtime before being replaced by the Playstation 2.

Nintendo 64 - No problems here.

Doctor V64 - Ditto.

Dreamcast - Works like a champ, but the laser has always made an awful grinding noise whenever loading. Especially with MotW.

Playstation 2 - 1000 series version and still works great.

Gamecube - Ditto.

Xbox - Ditto.

Xbox 360 - Zephyr version and it got the RROD after 2 years. Sent it back to MS and had it repaired. Immediately traded it in to GameStop to avoid another inevitable RROD.

Xbox 360 - Jasper version bought with the trade-in funds from my old Zephyr. Works great and survived plenty of grueling marathon sessions.

Playstation 3 - Original 60gb version and it works great.

Wii - Ditto.

Moo
50th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):disposable systems" , posted Tue 12 Jul 13:35:post reply

Out of the current generation consoles, I only have a Wii. The laser died about a year in, supposedly because of dust and I had to get it replaced. It may have been second hand when I bought it from Play-Asia or Lik-Sang, I forget which.
I am honestly afraid of purchasing a PS3 or XBox360 because I don't want to deal with them breaking down. I remember when things were built to last.

I have three friends whose PS3s all broke down 2-3 times within a few months, all around the same time. I think they all had the original PS3s. They were extremely upset about having to unlock everything all over again. I hear XBox360s die very often as well, but I only have one friend with an XBox360 and I think his only broke down once. Or twice.

My other console experiences:
NES: I recall it not loading cartridges properly sometimes. Don't remember if it was second-hand, but I think I bought it in Singapore.
Super Nintendo: Bought it when it came out, brand new. Never broke down. Probably played it the most.
Gameboy: Second-hand. Never broke down.
GameGear: Second-hand. Began sucking more energy than 6 batteries could handle.
Playstation: Second-hand, should be the first version. Laser died a few years in.
Dreamcast: Second-hand, probably first version. Laser died a few years in.
Playstation2: Bought it brand new about a year or two after the PS2 was released. It has problems booting discs sometimes.

[this message was edited by Moo on Tue 12 Jul 13:38]

Lugos
1th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):disposable systems" , posted Wed 13 Jul 01:25post reply

Considering the absurdly high failure rate of the first three batches of 360's, I completely understand why you're afraid of buying one. But, beginning with the Jasper (and later Valhalla) revisions, Microsoft finally managed to reduce the amount of heat generated by the 360, which practically put an end to the 3ROD. If you buy a 360, fat or slim, manufactured in 2010 or later, you'll have a Jasper or Valhalla. Check the system's manufacture date before you buy.

I used to work at video game store that fixes broken systems and 360 Xenons, Zephyrs and Falcons almost always fall victim to the 3ROD. But the Jaspers and Valhallas rarely do. And when they do, it's usually because the customer allowed them to become caked in dust, left them on the carpet, or left them in a confined area with little room for ventilation.

Pollyanna
3069th Post

"Re(3):disposable systems" , posted Wed 13 Jul 07:10post reply

quote:

I want to know how to fix the PS3 problem, please share.

Sorry! I forgot to reply to this! Please excuse my lack of proper terminology in my description...hahaha. If you want a detailed rundown look up "YLOD fix". *YLOD being, "Yellow light of death")

The first method is quite time-consuming. I'm used to opening up systems to fiddle with the insides, but you had to unscrew like...36 screws to get inside the PS3. Then you hit certain places on the circuit board with a heat gun and replace the thermal paste, or whatever you call it. Anyway, I did that and it fixed the system for several months.

When it died again, I did the ghetto solution, which involves wrapping the system in a towel and blasting it with a heatgun/blowdryer for 15 minutes. The result is a super hot PS3 that miraculously works (once it cools down?). After getting it to work that way, I bought a slim and transferred all my stuff. Last time I checked, the old PS3 still worked, but I imagine it will fall prey to the same YLOD soon.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

karasu99
699th Post

"Re(4):disposable systems" , posted Wed 13 Jul 07:35post reply

quote:

When it died again, I did the ghetto solution, which involves wrapping the system in a towel and blasting it with a heatgun/blowdryer for 15 minutes. The result is a super hot PS3 that miraculously works (once it cools down?). After getting it to work that way, I bought a slim and transferred all my stuff. Last time I checked, the old PS3 still worked, but I imagine it will fall prey to the same YLOD soon.

WOW, that sounds like an amazing and remarkable undertaking! And I had been thinking that some of the crazy schemes to get my ancient Playstation to run again had been strange (mostly involving precariously balancing it in odd positions)!

www.secret-arts.com

Moo
51th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):disposable systems" , posted Wed 13 Jul 14:18:post reply

quote:

When it died again, I did the ghetto solution

That's hilarious. There seems to always be seemingly bizarre or nonsensical solutions to fixing faulty goods. They just work!

I did hear that the newer 360s reduced the RROD problem, but also heard that it still occurs. Thanks for clarifying the details on that, Lugos. Although, most of the 360 games I want end up going to the PC with better graphics anyway. The only 360 exclusive I can think of right now that I want to play is Shadow Complex. The PS3 has several nice exclusives that I want, like the Uncharted and ICO series.

[this message was edited by Moo on Wed 13 Jul 15:05]

Oh my
43th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(4):disposable systems" , posted Sat 16 Jul 02:52post reply

quote:

HAHAHAHA, yeah, my bro knew about the blowdryer thing but he didn’t dare to do it. It’s hard to think in mess up an almost new device, the feeling is like when a very precious living creature dies and you can’t accept it and start to believe in miracles.

But at least something is something and I want that PS3 on MY LIVINGROOM, Bwahahahaha.

what?

Amakusa
878th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):disposable systems" , posted Sat 16 Jul 04:28post reply

I owned two PS2s. The first one got sent in to get fixed (for free!) since I manipulated the guy on the phone to make it sound like Sony's fault... and that was after I'd opened it up and attempted to fix it myself. Playing dumb really helps sometimes.

The second one I still own and it still works as far as I know.

Had two NESs... the original one, believe it or not, is the one that still works. The second one was bought purely because the first one was having trouble playing Super Mario Bros. 3, and for whatever reason it didn't last.

Everything else I own still works, although I'm deathly afraid of the sounds my Dreamcast makes so I don't turn it on anymore.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."