Ishmael
4101th Post

user profileedit/delete message

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"E3 2011" , posted Thu 26 May 08:59post reply

Since E3 is coming back once again I thought I would start up a thread for it.

I don't know if either of these games are going to appear, but I'm hoping for information on Ninja Gaiden 3 and that new Shinobi game that nobody is officially talking about yet. With luck, 2011 will be the year ninja games make a comeback.

Replies:

karasu99
628th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):E3 2011" , posted Fri 27 May 05:54post reply

quote:

that new Shinobi game that nobody is officially talking about yet.

I was really excited about new Shinobi, especially after watching that trailer (and the Shinobi Legions appearance)! But then I saw some other photos of it, and... urk, I can't believe I'm saying this, but the game art looks AWFUL. I don't know how else to put it! Maybe like some other stuff it will grow on me, who knows.

It's not exactly news, but I have really been enjoying Nin2-Jump, lately.

badoor
198th Post

PSN: BadoorSNK
XBL: BadoorSNK

Regular Customer

"Re(2):E3 2011" , posted Fri 27 May 06:27post reply

quote:

I was really excited about new Shinobi, especially after watching that trailer (and the Shinobi Legions appearance)! But then I saw some other photos of it, and... urk, I can't believe I'm saying this, but the game art looks AWFUL. I don't know how else to put it! Maybe like some other stuff it will grow on me, who knows.

Yeah, it's another one of those "decent? in motion (and by motion I mean 1 second long edits), ugly in screens" games. Being the optimist that I am, I'm hoping that the game looks like that so that it can have a very steady 60 fps.

sibarraz
119th Post

PSN: n/a
XBL: sibarraz4life

Regular Customer

"Re(3):E3 2011" , posted Fri 27 May 07:38post reply

I'm sure that will not happen, but at this point, is a tradition that I will always keep alive

SHENMUE 3 WILL BE ANNOUNCED THIS YEAR, YU SUZUKI WILL JUMP WITH A PARAGLIDING JUST TO ANNOUNCE IT AND THIS WILL BE THE FIRST STEP FOR THE BIG COMEBACK OF SEGA INTO THE CONSOLES MARKET!111111111

Ishmael
4103th Post

"Re(3):E3 2011" , posted Sat 28 May 02:42post reply

quote:

Yeah, it's another one of those "decent? in motion (and by motion I mean 1 second long edits), ugly in screens" games. Being the optimist that I am, I'm hoping that the game looks like that so that it can have a very steady 60 fps.

I'm really hoping that this is one of those cases where screenshots presented out of context don't do the game justice. As it is right now, this new Shinobi looks like it hit every branch on the way down when it fell out of the ugly tree. Perhaps I'm being too rough but when I heard about a new Shinobi game I didn't expect it to look like a Playstation 1 title circa 1996.

nobinobita
912th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(4):E3 2011" , posted Sat 28 May 05:26post reply

quote:
Perhaps I'm being too rough but when I heard about a new Shinobi game I didn't expect it to look like a Playstation 1 title circa 1996.

It's not just an issue of technology, bad art decisions abound. For instance, there are weird scale issues going on all over the place. Wooden beams as thick as concrete columns, bamboo as thick as trees; the backgrounds make all the characters look like they're two feet tall. It would be ok if those were stylistic choices, but it doesn't seem intentional.

Arg. I always feel guilty for ragging on a small studio though. They've been given a chance to work on a beloved franchise and they're going for it in spite of obstacles like a small budget and confusing direction from the license holders.

www.art-eater.com

badoor
199th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):E3 2011" , posted Sat 28 May 09:09post reply

Hardo Gay checking out Tommy Wiseau's new game

Umm...New Games PR? At least it's good to see Itagaki is still his sexist douchbag gambling alcoholic self. Also, it has the coolest Jill Valentine design ever.

mbisonhatclub
294th Post

PSN: hadoolket

Copper Customer

"Re(6):E3 2011" , posted Sat 28 May 09:45post reply

quote:

Umm...New Games PR? At least it's good to see Itagaki is still his sexist douchbag gambling alcoholic self. Also, it has the coolest Jill Valentine design ever.

Don't insult Tommy Wiseau like that. He has more class.

join the m.bison hat club today
i'm not just the president i'm also a client

nobinobita
913th Post

"Re(6):E3 2011" , posted Sat 28 May 19:06post reply

quote:

Hahahahaha.
The link is down, but I knew you meant Itagaki the moment I read that.

www.art-eater.com

sibarraz
121th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):E3 2011" , posted Sun 29 May 04:09post reply

I'm watching the final of the Champions League, and I was thinking

Since Playstation is one of the main sponsors of the tournament, will be a good idea to show some sort of teaser for the NGP or the PS4 if this exists. At least millions are watching this match and maybe will be good to hook up some guys into the hype of the next E3, not necessarily watching the event, but maybe stay tuned

Gieflos
54th Post

PSN: pooplos-z
XBL: PooplosZ

Occasional Customer

"Re(8):E3 2011" , posted Thu 2 Jun 02:33post reply

Twitter strikes again. Any guesses, fellas? I'm thinking either Vampire or *groan* Killer Instinct.

Ishmael
4108th Post

"Re(9):E3 2011" , posted Thu 2 Jun 03:31post reply

quote:
Twitter strikes again. Any guesses, fellas? I'm thinking either Vampire or *groan* Killer Instinct.

My guess is Soul Calibur 5. All the other games mentioned are probably known quantities -the zombie games are RE:RC and Dead Island and the Sony title might be Uncharted 3- so I doubt the fighting game is anything we have not heard about already. Then again, I'm often wrong.

badoor
201th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(9):E3 2011" , posted Thu 2 Jun 03:48post reply

quote:

It's not Killer Instinct. That's a Rare/Microsoft franchise now so you won't see that covered on a playstation-only mag, which is what Play Magazine is.

As for Vampire, Ono's TwiTROLL account didn't tease us with anything specifically. Probably cause Ono's team are still busy with Rufus x Bob. 8ting (vs team) don't seem to be doing anything now, specially if they have no more DLC. Since obviously these are console specific magazines, it might be a home port for KOF13 or VF5FS.

Anyway, generally I don't like to speculate cause that just seems to be sort of a wasted efforts. What I DO like is pass judgement early on so C'mon Sega, give me those new Fighiting Vipers screen shots so that I can whine about them on the internet.

Nekros
351th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(10):E3 2011" , posted Thu 2 Jun 04:46:post reply

quote:
My guess is Soul Calibur 5. All the other games mentioned are probably known quantities -the zombie games are RE:RC and Dead Island and the Sony title might be Uncharted 3- so I doubt the fighting game is anything we have not heard about already. Then again, I'm often wrong.

No, you're right. Your prediction seems fair enough to be real. But "huge fighting franchise" is sad applied on SC5 when we have SF, KOF and Mortal Kombat...UNLESS....they're speaking about some Gear made Guilty. Ok, I'm daydreaming now.

PS: your sign made my day...Selena, I miss you.

[this message was edited by Nekros on Thu 2 Jun 04:47]

sfried
678th Post

Wii: 8963437745913552

"Re(2):Re(10):E3 2011" , posted Thu 2 Jun 11:29:post reply

Kojima teases new Snake Eater 3D demo for E3 (and not just some interactive movie). Here's hoping the "near sameday" update the 3DS is getting (night of June 6) will let us play this too.

[this message was edited by sfried on Thu 2 Jun 11:36]

Gojira
2743th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
Wii: 80085

"Re(2):Re(10):E3 2011" , posted Thu 2 Jun 12:28post reply

quote:

No, you're right. Your prediction seems fair enough to be real. But "huge fighting franchise" is sad applied on SC5 when we have SF, KOF and Mortal Kombat

Isn't SC hugely popular in Europe, though? Considering it's a EU publication we're looking at.

mbisonhatclub
295th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):E3 2011" , posted Thu 2 Jun 16:27post reply

quote:

No, you're right. Your prediction seems fair enough to be real. But "huge fighting franchise" is sad applied on SC5 when we have SF, KOF and Mortal Kombat...UNLESS....they're speaking about some Gear made Guilty. Ok, I'm daydreaming now.

>implying KOF is bigger than any Soul Calibur game
LOL.

Nekros
352th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):E3 2011" , posted Thu 2 Jun 18:01post reply

quote:

>implying KOF is bigger than any Soul Calibur game
LOL.

As a franchise, yes.
As a game, not today.
But Soul Calibur is a overrated game in any way. The first 2 (the home port of Edge and the DC one) were very good games, but from the third episode is really a mess. Completely disliked the series since it.

mbisonhatclub
296th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):E3 2011" , posted Sun 5 Jun 05:12post reply

quote:
As a franchise, yes.
As a game, not today.
But Soul Calibur is a overrated game in any way. The first 2 (the home port of Edge and the DC one) were very good games, but from the third episode is really a mess. Completely disliked the series since it.

Still, joke's on you, people still talk about Soul Calibur

And at least it gets console ports

Booyah in your face

(☞゚∀゚)☞

Pollyanna
3041th Post

PSN: Lilly_Dopamine

"Re(5):Re(10):E3 2011" , posted Sun 5 Jun 05:27post reply

Speaking of Shinobi, has anyone here played the Saturn version? Is it worth tracking down? Somehow I completely forgot about it. I used to consider myself a fairly big Shinobi fan, but I don't think a "big fan" would completely forget about one of the games.

I would like to forget about the 3DS Shinobi, though. I'm not explicitly against shopped out re-imaginings of old titles, but I can't see getting excited about it just because it's "Shinobi" when I'm certain nobody who had anything to do with any Shinobi has anything to do with this. It's like Silent Hill...everyone who made the early games likable is gone. If I'm interested in the new SH game (I'm not), it's because I'm interested in it as its own game...not as a SH game.

And it doesn't make sense to be interested in this shoddy-looking Shinobi game as its own game...unless you're just really hungry for any sort of ninja action.

Still, I wouldn't mind being proven wrong...

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Grave
1376th Post

PSN: Drakee
XBL: Mikelson

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(6):Re(10):E3 2011" , posted Sun 5 Jun 08:01post reply

For what it's worth, I agree with Nekros. I find every Soul Calibur to be more hideous and offensive than the last, which is depressing because I absolutely adored the first game and SC1. Everything since has struck me as completely distasteful. As for KOF, at least KOF XI was really great, KOF XII was beautiful despite being a turd and KOF XIII is... well, I'd like to find out, buuut...
quote:
Speaking of Shinobi, has anyone here played the Saturn version? Is it worth tracking down? Somehow I completely forgot about it. I used to consider myself a fairly big Shinobi fan, but I don't think a "big fan" would completely forget about one of the games.

What a weird-looking game! I often forget it exists too, I've never ever seen a US copy in stores, and back when the Saturn was still something you could buy new games for I was keeping an eye out for it but it never landed in my path, nor has the Japanese version. I'd probably buy either if it was in front of me but it's not the sort of thing I'm going to go looking for.

karasu99
636th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):E3 2011" , posted Sun 5 Jun 13:01post reply

quote:

Go find it. I think it is severely underappreciated-- but keep in mind it's probably not the very best in the series (Megadrive Shinobi III is incredible). I think it's a fun game, It's also far from the best looking game with its weird digitized graphics, but I find it pretty enjoyable.

Also of note: the European version has a completely re-recorded soundtrack by-- of all people-- Richard Jacques! Not that I'm suggesting you track down both versions or anything.

Iggy
9264th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):E3 2011" , posted Sun 5 Jun 17:52post reply

quote:

It's worth it for an afternoon of cheap laughs. If however you liked Shinobi because "cool ninjas" not because "silly show for kids on Japanese TV with a shoestring budget", you might keep on forgetting it.
The game itself was really forgettable as well. I have never been a huge fan of the series, so my opinion probably doesn't count though.

Pollyanna
3042th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):E3 2011" , posted Mon 6 Jun 05:04post reply

Hey, E3 thread! How about that Shinobi 3!

quote:

Go find it. I think it is severely underappreciated-- but keep in mind it's probably not the very best in the series (Megadrive Shinobi III is incredible). I think it's a fun game, It's also far from the best looking game with its weird digitized graphics, but I find it pretty enjoyable.

Also of note: the European version has a completely re-recorded soundtrack by-- of all people-- Richard Jacques! Not that I'm suggesting you track down both versions or anything.

If Shinobi 3 had Shinobi 2's soundtrack, it would probably be my favorite old-school action game. As it stands now, Dracula X edges it out.

I wonder if either of the soundtracks are good...? No Yuzo Koshiro either way.

quote:

It's worth it for an afternoon of cheap laughs. If however you liked Shinobi because "cool ninjas" not because "silly show for kids on Japanese TV with a shoestring budget", you might keep on forgetting it.
The game itself was really forgettable as well. I have never been a huge fan of the series, so my opinion probably doesn't count though.

I'm more interested in Japanese children's shows than cool ninja, but I really just want another Shinobi game. The graphics don't bother me. I think it's a funny novelty, as long as it doesn't play like crap.

It's the relativity of your opinion that matters. How good is it in relation to Shinobi 2 and 3? If the answer is "incomprehensibly worse", then I'm not as interested.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Spoon
2165th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):E3 2011" , posted Mon 6 Jun 09:17post reply

quote:
shinobi

When I think about 2D Shinobi, I think about an NES game that seemed really cool at the time including dilapdated looking levels that featured Marilyn Monroe's face on posters fixed to broken brick walls. I strangely never got that feeling from the brief time I spent with the Genesis games.

On the other hand, I greatly enjoyed playing the PS2 Shinobi.

What I'm really thinking is that I was absolutely hyped for the DS sequel to Demon Sword (or 不動明王伝), and I enjoyed it immensely, and want another of that, even though by all rights it may seem just as lame to anybody else as Shinobi.

Pollyanna
3044th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):E3 2011" , posted Mon 6 Jun 12:13post reply

quote:

On the other hand, I greatly enjoyed playing the PS2 Shinobi.

What I'm really thinking is that I was absolutely hyped for the DS sequel to Demon Sword (or 不動明王伝), and I enjoyed it immensely, and want another of that, even though by all rights it may seem just as lame to anybody else as Shinobi.

I am nuts about the PS2 Shinobi. I can't say it's the same as the old ones, but I love it in the same way. I loved its meticulous, cruel level design. So many times I would look at the task ahead of me and say "there's no way I'm gonna be able to do that" then feel so amazing when I pulled it off. Such a fantastic challenge and such a tightly executed experience. I want something else like that!

But wait...Demon Sword? That's the game that was just like Legend of Kage, right? So the DS sequel, you mean the new Legend of Kage? Or by some sick coincidence there were two games like Legend of Kage that both received insanely late sequels on DS?

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

karasu99
638th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):E3 2011" , posted Mon 6 Jun 23:31post reply

quote:
I wonder if either of the soundtracks are good...? No Yuzo Koshiro either way.

They're actually both quite good. Neither are as good as the MD ones.

quote:

I'm more interested in Japanese children's shows than cool ninja, but I really just want another Shinobi game. The graphics don't bother me. I think it's a funny novelty, as long as it doesn't play like crap.

It's the relativity of your opinion that matters. How good is it in relation to Shinobi 2 and 3? If the answer is "incomprehensibly worse", then I'm not as interested.

I say not nearly as bad as all that.the first Shinobi where it's all about speed and knowing where all the guys are. Not as good as the MD ones, but still a good action platformer. Not anything like If you can find it for somewhat cheap I would say you should, but don't spend over $30 on it.

Nekros
353th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(7):Re(10):E3 2011" , posted Tue 7 Jun 00:34post reply

quote:

Didn't know the music was by RJ!
I absolutely love his work from Mass Effect and the Sega days.... but I can't find the ost for Shin Shinobi Den comparable to Koshiro's.
Surprised how this game was enjoyable, despite its semi-sentai cutscenes and the digitalized graphics.
This also reminds me that nor Saturn or 32X had a proper 2D Shinobi or Streets Of Rage sequel.

Oh my
30th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(8):Re(10):E3 2011" , posted Tue 7 Jun 01:58post reply

I watch game trailers last Friday and I saw this unique game that caught my eyes. I just say: “WOW that game is going to smash the entire E3 and it will make any other game look like CRAP. No game will stand a chance with this new amazing innovation in the revolution of gaming. Every kid will dream to have this game for Christmas and if you buy one to a kid you will get the keys to heaven for make a kid happy.
And the game is:

The back to the future game

Better than uncharted 3 or that supposedly sequel of the demon sword game
HAHAHAHAHAHA

I just need to mention it because they present it like if it were the game everybody was waiting for, FOR GOD SAKE, WHAT A CRAP.

what?

Ishmael
4113th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):E3 2011" , posted Tue 7 Jun 02:52post reply

Since only ninja games matter, the new trailer for Ninja Gaiden 3 has shown up. So far there's not much to see other than there seems to be a bit of a change in the art direction and the sound the bad guys make when they get hacked open is quite nice. I doubt that Irene and Jaquio show up in the trailer but I'm going to continue to live in my little fantasy world and pretend that's who the female agent and main villain actually are.

badoor
204th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(10):Re(10):E3 2011" , posted Tue 7 Jun 04:28post reply

quote:
I doubt that Irene and Jaquio show up in the trailer but I'm going to continue to live in my little fantasy world and pretend that's who the female agent and main villain actually are.

It would be great if they did, even if only by name. Then I can finally comprehend how the hell you would pronounce "Jaquio".

As far as the trailer itself goes, it looks cool. Not that big of a "graphical" advancement but I don't really care for that much. The whole "zoom in on the bloody action with a cool camera angle" seems to happen WHILE you're just doing a regular attack (probably happens when finishing off an enemy in Bloody Red mode or something) and might not be something that's specifically TRIGGERED like in NG2. While NG2 was fun, I didn't really like the "canned animation 1 button kill move while being totally safe from anything else" because it boiled the gameplay to "slash a few then Y/Triangle" for almost every enemy. It sort of deemphasized a lot of comboes imo.

nobinobita
915th Post

"The Third Strike y'all!" , posted Tue 7 Jun 05:55:post reply

New trailer for Third Strike.
It's actually shockingly well done!

http://gamersyde.com/stream_street_fighter_iii_3rd_strike_trailer-21241_en.html

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Tue 7 Jun 05:57]

Spoon
2166th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):E3 2011" , posted Tue 7 Jun 06:50post reply

quote:

So the DS sequel, you mean the new Legend of Kage?

Demon Sword which was made by Taito after Legend of Kage, is really Legend of Kage 2 in all but name. I keep thinking that Legend of Kage 2 is a sequel to Demon Sword for some reason, though. It may just be because it's the game I wound up playing before Legend of Kage.

But yeah, Legend of Kage 2 for the NDS is the game I was specifically referring to.

Just a Person
1478th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):The Third Strike y'all!" , posted Tue 7 Jun 06:53post reply

quote:

Indeed!

It's funny that SFIII and its upgrades were far from popular back when they were released, but now 3rd. Strike may become huge in this online edition. Not just successful, but huge... well, at least if every fanboy who complained about how SFIII is the best fighting game ever and SFIV is a complete disappointment purchases it.

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

nobinobita
915th Post

"Re(2):The Third Strike y'all!" , posted Tue 7 Jun 09:41post reply

quote:

Indeed!

It's funny that SFIII and its upgrades were far from popular back when they were released, but now 3rd. Strike may become huge in this online edition. Not just successful, but huge... well, at least if every fanboy who complained about how SFIII is the best fighting game ever and SFIV is a complete disappointment purchases it.

It's certainly got a niche following. Every surviving arcade seems to have a healthy community of Third Strike players around it. It's one of those games where once someone brings it up, you know you got something special in common. At least that's been my experience.

I'm really impressed with the trailer cos it makes the game look super fun and highlights its incredible animation and sense of impact. I hope the online version pulls in some new blood!

www.art-eater.com

Burning Ranger
1700th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):The Third Strike y'all!" , posted Tue 7 Jun 12:02post reply

quote:

Don't know what to make of this. The graphics seem to be hit or miss, with some characters looking really good while others looking like junk. Otherwise, it looks like the same old 3S we've come to love/hate/undecided. They could have made it interesting by making a "Hyper" SF3 and giving characters different movesets (I would love to play 2nd Impact Dudley in a 3S setting).

Trailer has a catchy tune though.

So much to do so little time...

Nobinobita
927th Post

"Re(2):The Third Strike y'all!" , posted Tue 7 Jun 14:33:post reply

quote:

Don't know what to make of this. The graphics seem to be hit or miss, with some characters looking really good while others looking like junk. Otherwise, it looks like the same old 3S we've come to love/hate/undecided.

What can I say? I'm nuts for this game!
I think I'm mostly just relieved that they didn't try to give it tons of new art and that the trailer was fun and interesting. It was real hip. I'm hoping it'll speak to the Scott Pilgrim generation and get them to pick up the game.

One can dream...

quote:
They could have made it interesting by making a "Hyper" SF3 and giving characters different movesets (I would love to play 2nd Impact Dudley in a 3S setting).

New wave raucous FTW!

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by Nobinobita on Fri 10 Jun 00:25]

Ishmael
4114th Post

"Re(3):The Third Strike y'all!" , posted Wed 8 Jun 00:40post reply

I really enjoyed that 3S trailer. It had a nice sense of energy and urgency to it, which isn't bad considering this is a twelve year old game we're talking about. I'm still not certain how the filter is going to look in-game but in the promo pictures the idle animation on Alex's hands still looks awful so when I look at it I know it's SF3.

There has been a lot of news coming out of E3. So far the silliest thing I've heard is that Mass Effect 3 will have voice support. Who requested this? Was hitting the little dials on the converstion wheel too much work? Is the combat so intense that you need to shout out orders? I can only imagine how it would work if I played: "Garrus, take cover over there. Not there, over there you freakin' moron! Tali, summon up that ball thing. Bot? Droid? What do you call it?" Yeah, I don't think I'll be using that feature.

nobinobita
917th Post

"Re(3):The Third Strike y'all!" , posted Wed 8 Jun 00:57post reply

quote:

What can I say? I'm nuts for this game!

I spoke too soon.
I still like the video editing, but yeah, i gotta admit, the filter looks weird. So does the new interface and ... I've heard rumblings of redone portrait art. Oh Capcom. You troll me like no other.

www.art-eater.com

Pollyanna
3046th Post

"Re(4):The Third Strike y'all!" , posted Wed 8 Jun 01:13post reply

It seems like the Tecmo Koei merger makes sense, seeing as both companies like to release sequels that are initially indiscernible (to non-fans) from the previous entry in the series. There are few trailers that have excited me less than the Ninja Gaiden 3 one, but unlike the Musou games, which I have completely burned myself out on, I'll still probably buy it.

That reminds me of a time I was playing Ninja Gaiden 2 and a friend said "This camera is horrible. You can't see anything. How do you know where to attack?"

And I said "I just KNOW." I wonder if this is some clever design philosophy I don't understand.

quote:
There has been a lot of news coming out of E3. So far the silliest thing I've heard is that Mass Effect 3 will have voice support. Who requested this? Was hitting the little dials on the converstion wheel too much work? Is the combat so intense that you need to shout out orders? I can only imagine how it would work if I played: "Garrus, take cover over there. Not there, over there you freakin' moron! Tali, summon up that ball thing. Bot? Droid? What do you call it?" Yeah, I don't think I'll be using that feature.

Microsoft touted "Kinect Support" for a number of titles, but I really do think it may be limited to things like this...making their presentation pretty damned awful if you don't like Halo. I was really hoping for some more Kinect stuff this year, since it came out with a bang, then came to a SCREECHING HALT, but somehow Microsoft got outdone by the Move this year. Kudos to Sony for adding meaningful Move support to several big titles when I thought the thing was dead in the water.

The great thing about the Mass Effect dialogue options is that Shepard will say something different than what you say. I guess that's better than him/her saying what you say in the wrong way. ("That's not how I meant it!")

quote:

I spoke too soon.
I still like the video editing, but yeah, i gotta admit, the filter looks weird. So does the new interface and ... I've heard rumblings of redone portrait art. Oh Capcom. You troll me like no other.

Well, it was outsourced to a company I've never heard of, so who knows how many pitfalls are in there. I'm just confused that they were talking about how the budget was higher than HDRemix and they didn't bother including SF3 and 2nd Impact (or anything other than online, really) in the package. Either they totally broke the bank on that rap song for the trailer or the HDRemix guys REALLY got paid peanuts.

I've already bought 3rd Strike 2 times, and I'll buy it a 3rd time with no regrets, but I'm still disappointed after all the hype.

On the upside, SF X Tekken has been upgraded from "looks absolutely terrible" to "looks like it still needs a lot of work."

Nintendo conference now now now now now...

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

nobinobita
918th Post

"Re(5):The Third Strike y'all!" , posted Wed 8 Jun 01:24post reply

quote:
"looks absolutely terrible"

http://elmundotech.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/ss_cole_uwz_005_bmp_jpgcopy.jpg

.____.

www.art-eater.com

sibarraz
126th Post

Regular Customer

"Wii U" , posted Wed 8 Jun 01:53post reply

I'm not that excited for the Wii U

shin ramberk
393th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):Wii U" , posted Wed 8 Jun 02:00post reply

quote:

Yeah, at this point it seems like a poorly thought out gimmick... We'll see.

http://ramberk.blogspot.com

Ishmael
4115th Post

"Re(2):Wii U" , posted Wed 8 Jun 02:13post reply

quote:

Yeah, at this point it seems like a poorly thought out gimmick... We'll see.

I'm hoping that Wii U is a placeholder name until Nintendo can think up something better. But I don't think there's any getting around that controller. The big gimmick for this console is an even larger Dreamcast controller? Will it make the same BEEEEEP noise when you turn it on?

maese
630th Post

"Re(1):Wii U" , posted Wed 8 Jun 02:14post reply

quote:

Neither am I, but I think jumping into the tablet market it's a smart business move for Nintendo.

sibarraz
127th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Wii U" , posted Wed 8 Jun 02:16post reply

quote:

Neither am I, but I think jumping into the tablet market it's a smart business move for Nintendo.

Ok, is a new console, not just an accesory,I'm now I little more excited

Pollyanna
3047th Post

"Re(1):Wii U" , posted Wed 8 Jun 02:27post reply

quote:

I'm PUMPED. Not because the gimmicks sound especially appealing, but because it looks to be a non-gimped Nintendo console. I am tired of groaning every time a sequel or exciting game comes out for Wii, because it would've been better on a different console. I am tired of 3rd party developers suffering because they made decent games for a console with the wrong user base.

I blame the a lot of problems with Japanese developers on the PS3s slow start, the 360s non-start (in Japan) and the lopsided quality of the Wii. I'm hoping Nintendo's new console will help remedy that.

The idea of the console seems to be "all things for all people" so even if you're not interested in the initial gimmick, I'm sure there will be something for you eventually.

On the downside, I was looking to buy this console on launch, which I have never done before. I don't buy a console until it has a game I really want on it, so I was hoping that Nintendo would have SOMETHING to show in terms of software. No such luck. I'm afraid we're going to get another "launches with nothing" like the 3DS, which may result in more trickling sales instead of an avalanche.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

karasu99
640th Post

"Re(3):Wii U" , posted Wed 8 Jun 03:41post reply

quote:

I'm hoping that Wii U is a placeholder name until Nintendo can think up something better. But I don't think there's any getting around that controller. The big gimmick for this console is an even larger Dreamcast controller? Will it make the same BEEEEEP noise when you turn it on?

Realistically though there is often some resistance to new console names-- Dreamcast and Wii were both met with eye rolling and puking noises when their names were first announced.

I don't know, it's hard for me to get excited these days about a new console for some reason, until just before its launch that is, when I will inevitably be rabid to get it. And of course then I'll have to wait like six months to find one since they will be outrageously underproduced and in crazy demand. Ah well!

badoor
205th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):Wii U" , posted Wed 8 Jun 04:03post reply

Finally, with the Wii U controller on top of the Wii zapper I can play Silent Scope FOR REAL!

The console has potential but so far all they've shown are just ports of other console games that might come out months, maybe even a year after their release on PS3/360. I guess it's still too early to say.

And I'm glad that the controller is just a screen and doesn't have any "self sentient" activities that require a real processing unit (other than the simple video/controller I/O stuff). If it was an actually separate portable, the added processing power might going to make it even more expensive and compete with the 3DS.

Now that we've seen the 3 conferences, It seems that the focus with 3rd party developers is not about making exclusive games anymore. Instead it's about having exclusive features on specific consoles. With 360, its extra Kinect features. Sony with Move and/or Vita port/connectivity stuff. And now the Wii U portable screen.

Baines
285th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):Wii U" , posted Wed 8 Jun 04:30post reply

quote:
I am tired of groaning every time a sequel or exciting game comes out for Wii, because it would've been better on a different console. I am tired of 3rd party developers suffering because they made decent games for a console with the wrong user base.

We don't know yet what user base the Wii U will get, so we could still see third party problems. The system is going to have to be expensive, just because of its controller. Will it retain the wider casual Wii audience? I think I've seen more hatred of the Wii U online than I saw for the Wii at its announcement.

And what happens a year or two after its release, when Microsoft and Sony promote their next systems?

Plus, what happens in the handheld market? The PSP was more of a challenge than Nintendo probably expected, the 3D aspect of the 3DS isn't the system seller than Nintendo probably expected, and the Vita promises around PS3 game quality with enhanced features (and does it at a price comparable to the 3DS.)

nobinobita
919th Post

"Re(3):Wii U" , posted Wed 8 Jun 05:08post reply

I'm really excited for this.
I remember reading an interview with Miyamoto a while back where he was asked about the future of games after the Wii and he started to go on an inspired rant about the gamespace coming out of the TV and into the living room but was prompty shushed by another Nintendo associate.

It's great to finally see what he was talking about!

I'm really excited for the Wii U, but more than that, I'm impressed with how on point it is.

I think this will fly much easier with casual gamers since we're already living in an era where more people play games on their iphones and ipads than on their TVs. But I think Nintendo will bring a level of polish and engagement to it that I haven't felt with current touch screen and augmented VR games.

I'm always going to prefer a traditional game with a traditional pad, but if anyone's going to be pushing the boundaries I prefer it to be Nintendo.

www.art-eater.com

GekigangerV
1697th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(4):Wii U" , posted Wed 8 Jun 13:53post reply

The Wii U launch announcement was a bit cumbersome and lackluster. At first it looked like it was just an add on controller. They had no new unique games to show, just some tech demos and announcement of games that will already be on the PS3 and Xbox for 6 months by the time they are released on Wii U. They announced Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS but unfortunately had nothing to show since they are still busy with Kid Icarus. And their 'big' announcement was an open world LEGO game.
As badoor said, I see the potential of a Silent Scope game on the WiiU, but I am not sure how far companies can take this controller.

I hope they make the grid of that Othello game a bit bigger.

The only companies I was really following going into E3 were Rocksteady for Arkham City and CAPCOM for a couple of games.

Arkham City looks great and I can't wait until October.

Capcom didn't have any surprises other than SFxT on PSVita with the unsolicited guest character of Cole.

Speaking of PSVita, I think I am kind of hyped for it and I am glad they changed the name because whenever I saw "NGP" I thought of NeoGeo Pocket. The Wi-Fi only model will be $250 while the other regions pay an extra $60-70 more than the states. Some of the games they shown don't interest me too much right now, but I see a lot more potential than 3DS for the same price.

karasu99
642th Post

"Re(5):Wii U" , posted Wed 8 Jun 14:00post reply

quote:

whenever I saw "NGP" I thought of NeoGeo Pocket.

I thought the same thing! At some point my brain started making the conscious translation.

It's weird how similar it looks to the PSP. That's odd for full generations in game systems (as opposed to, say, DS->DSi).

Still, given that I play stuff on my PSP much more than my DS these days, it's funny that I'm more excited about the PSV than the 3DS.

As far as Wii U goes, I like it a little more now that I've seen the controller. Huge, but... kind of cool.

Spoon
2167th Post

"Re(4):Wii U" , posted Wed 8 Jun 14:08post reply

Something Microsoft needs to figure out is how to make stuff that's as cool as what the hackers around the world are making with the Kinect. MS probably isn't going to suddenly start selling flying robot toys or VR office via the Xbox, but the Kinect's potential has been proven to go so vastly beyond just some nicer eyetoy for the 360.

What I see with the Wii U is Nintendo making the "you need 4 GBAs to play this game together" idea in the gamecube and making it a standard feature. Alternatively, you could say that it's the dream of the VMU finally realized with technology like storage capacity that's >2MB. I had actually thought that Apple would've tried for something like this, an integration between Apple TV and the iPad, with the iPad acting as a rich, extended interface to the television.

One of the concerns with the Wii U is how it will fit in with the other console generations. It's raw computing power is on par with the current gen consoles of the PS3 and 360, but there's no doubt that the forthcoming PS4 and Xbox will have yet greater muscle. It might also be that this current generation will be extended by a few years since Nintendo isn't raising that technology bar, and the finances of Sony have been such that selling another console at tremendous cost isn't feasible. Who knows!

I was personally hoping that Syndicate would reappear triumphantly at the EA keynote, though.

Trivia:
There were two guys playing ME3 on stage. One of them is Jesse Houston (bearded guy) and the other one is Corey Gaspur (shaved head guy). Corey's one of the combat designers, and he plays THawk in SSF4.

Nobinobita
920th Post

"Dragon's Crown" , posted Wed 8 Jun 16:37post reply

Dragon's Crown!

New 4 player simultaneous Beat-em-Up RPG from Vanillaware in glorious HD for PS3 and NGP!

I'm smitten! Muscular, hard nosed high fantasy!
This has been the exclamation point on an already great day for me!

www.art-eater.com

Nobinobita
921th Post

"Re(1):Dragon's Crown" , posted Wed 8 Jun 16:41post reply

quote:
Dragon's Crown!

New 4 player simultaneous Beat-em-Up RPG from Vanillaware in glorious HD for PS3 and NGP!

I'm smitten! Muscular, hard nosed high fantasy!
This has been the exclamation point on an already great day for me!

Oops just noticed the other thread on this. hehe.

www.art-eater.com

Iggy
9266th Post

"Re(2):Wii U" , posted Wed 8 Jun 23:42post reply

quote:
On the downside, I was looking to buy this console on launch, which I have never done before. I don't buy a console until it has a game I really want on it, so I was hoping that Nintendo would have SOMETHING to show in terms of software. No such luck. I'm afraid we're going to get another "launches with nothing" like the 3DS, which may result in more trickling sales instead of an avalanche.

The thing is, contrary to the 3DS and its pathetic excuse for a DS retro-compatibility, there's good hope this will play the entire Wii(+VC) games perfectly on launch, with possible HD for Wii game.
If I can buy this and immediately jump on Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 or Last Story in HD, then I don't need original games for a while.
Also, I love the controller for one thing: finally being able to play my old games in my bed. Having the TV in the bedroom is not ideal from an everyday life point of view, and the PSP is nice but still a little too small.
I wonder though there is more than me in the demographics of "People who want a portable console to play exclusively at home"...

Pollyanna
3049th Post

"Re(3):Wii U" , posted Thu 9 Jun 00:52post reply

Good points:
quote:

We don't know yet what user base the Wii U will get, so we could still see third party problems. The system is going to have to be expensive, just because of its controller. Will it retain the wider casual Wii audience? I think I've seen more hatred of the Wii U online than I saw for the Wii at its announcement.

And what happens a year or two after its release, when Microsoft and Sony promote their next systems?

Plus, what happens in the handheld market? The PSP was more of a challenge than Nintendo probably expected, the 3D aspect of the 3DS isn't the system seller than Nintendo probably expected, and the Vita promises around PS3 game quality with enhanced features (and does it at a price comparable to the 3DS.)

and...
quote:
One of the concerns with the Wii U is how it will fit in with the other console generations. It's raw computing power is on par with the current gen consoles of the PS3 and 360, but there's no doubt that the forthcoming PS4 and Xbox will have yet greater muscle. It might also be that this current generation will be extended by a few years since Nintendo isn't raising that technology bar, and the finances of Sony have been such that selling another console at tremendous cost isn't feasible. Who knows!

Me not groaning as much when a game is announced for a Nintendo console is (as far as I know) a fact. My hopes for 3rd party developers and the system as a whole are only hopes. I want Japan to have a "reliable" system to sell for like the PS2 was for them...that isn't a portable system.

I'm not concerned about the next generation being better, because developers have a hard enough time with this one. Higher poly counts make for higher budgets, which are already through the roof. Reaching "higher" in terms of rendering quality is going to require an insanely high level of time, money and artistry. Even today, years after the PS360 came out, what percentage of the games that come out really push the system to its limits?

As Iggy mentioned, just being able to play (certain) Wii games in HD would be a very big deal. The leap from SD to HD is huge. The leap from 720 to 1080 is not so huge. Jumping beyond that...if it's even sensible at all, would require new televisions.

By the time the next set of systems come out, the Wii U might be more of a "well-established less costly alternative" rather than something "old and dated."

I assume the system will do well because the market may be ready to buy a new system, even if a more advanced one isn't feasible yet. It could be a total disaster with no games, but that's what I thought the N64 was like and even that didn't bomb.

As for the portable market...I really wonder where things are going. I guess I'll still be groaning when a game gets announced for 3DS over Vita. Unlike Iggy, who wants a portable system at home, I want a portable system I can play on my TV. Is there a video out for Vita? I didn't notice. Perhaps they thought something like that would belittle its extensive PS3 connectivity that makes you buy the same game twice (?).

Hmmm...so we'll probably finally get a PS3 Monster Hunter (that isn't an HD remix), though it probably won't be the step forward it could be because it'll be scaled down for the Vita.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

nobinobita
925th Post

"Re(4):Wii U" , posted Thu 9 Jun 02:23:post reply

quote:
Unlike Iggy, who wants a portable system at home, I want a portable system I can play on my TV. Is there a video out for Vita? I didn't notice. Perhaps they thought something like that would belittle its extensive PS3 connectivity that makes you buy the same game twice (?).

This system, better than any other, has the potential to make every type of gamer happy without compromise.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Thu 9 Jun 02:23]

Ishmael
4117th Post

"Re(4):The Third Strike y'all!" , posted Thu 9 Jun 03:27post reply

New pictures of SC5 have shown up. So far so good, although they seriously need to fix Mitsurugi's feet.

quote:
I spoke too soon.

Warning: Ramble ahead. Would there be any sort of changes you would consider acceptable? I'm not trying to be argumentative here, I'm genuinely curious because the response to this game has confused me. Some people want nothing changed. Some want a remixed version as with HDR. Some people can't understand who would pay good money for such an old game. The responses are so varied that I can't figure out a general consensus. I suspect some of this is simply players being high maintenance simply for the sake of being fickle, but it must be hard for companies to guage what players want when anything both new and old is greeted negatively.

nobinobita
927th Post

"Re(5):The Third Strike y'all!" , posted Thu 9 Jun 03:36:post reply

quote:
I suspect some of this is simply players being high maintenance simply for the sake of being fickle, but it must be hard for companies to guage what players want when anything both new and old is greeted negatively.

Haha that's how I'm always afraid of coming off whenever I discuss something that I'm passionate about.

In my case, the new art is very likely going to be off putting based off of Capcom's previous HD remixes. It's not that it can't be as good as the original, just that there's a great chance that it won't. The interface changes aren't a big deal to me, but it's irksome. It's like updating the opening credits to a classic film.

The game's already really great the way it is.I doubt an updated interface or new potraits will bring in more sales.

I'm fine with the filter too, cos you can turn it off and turn on delicious scan lines.

That's actually all I wanted from the game. A way to legally play SFIII online, with my friends, with scanlines because that's how the game looks the most beautiful to me.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Thu 9 Jun 03:38]

maese
631th Post

"Re(5):The Third Strike y'all!" , posted Thu 9 Jun 04:01post reply

quote:
New pictures of SC5 have shown up. So far so good, although they seriously need to fix Mitsurugi's feet.

I see this new Soul Calibur incarnation mantains the old tradition of hand drawn "2D" character portraits looking way better than the polygon rendered ones. Poor Mitsurugi seems pretty much a different person (or even a different console generation) if you compare his two renditions.

Other than that, I must say this new SFIII iteration struck me as a total surprise. I really didn't see it coming and, as much as I love the game, neither do I think it is necessary at all... But hey, if it manages to bring back scanlines discussions to the Cafe it's well worth the trouble! Oh, the memories...

Pollyanna
3050th Post

"Re(6):The Third Strike y'all!" , posted Thu 9 Jun 04:12post reply

I'm just confused by the big hype that 3rd Strike received. "It's 3rd Strike and you can play it online" is all I needed. Hyping it up so much made me expect something more.

I think a lot of people would've liked 3 and 2nd Impact included (not like they're going to re-release these later!). I've heard plenty of people disappointed in the lack of a rebalanced/remixed mode. I would've enjoyed that myself. Of course, having the original in its original form is a necessity. I don't like the filter, but I won't complain about it, because you can take it off.

I was a bit offended by the "cover" though. None of the artists who worked on 3rd Strike are dead. None of the art from 3rd Strike is dated or irrelevant to the game. SF3 had some of the most talented artists in the industry working on it. Something new from them would add an immeasurable value to the game (for me at least).

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

shin ramberk
394th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(7):The Third Strike y'all!" , posted Thu 9 Jun 04:54post reply

Yeah, my only disappointment is no re-balance mode. Which is kind of funny because you contrast this to what SNK does with KOF and the constant re-balances 98 gets.

Regardless, I'm super excited about this and I'm glad Capcom is releasing this. And now that we got 3S and MvC2 with online play, does that mean we'll eventually get CvS2 or even CvS3? That's the last of the "Big 3" IMO.

quote:
I'm just confused by the big hype that 3rd Strike received. "It's 3rd Strike and you can play it online" is all I needed. Hyping it up so much made me expect something more.

I think a lot of people would've liked 3 and 2nd Impact included (not like they're going to re-release these later!). I've heard plenty of people disappointed in the lack of a rebalanced/remixed mode. I would've enjoyed that myself. Of course, having the original in its original form is a necessity. I don't like the filter, but I won't complain about it, because you can take it off.

I was a bit offended by the "cover" though. None of the artists who worked on 3rd Strike are dead. None of the art from 3rd Strike is dated or irrelevant to the game. SF3 had some of the most talented artists in the industry working on it. Something new from them would add an immeasurable value to the game (for me at least).

shin ramberk
395th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(7):The Third Strike y'all!" , posted Thu 9 Jun 04:54post reply

Yeah, my only disappointment is no re-balance mode. Which is kind of funny because you contrast this to what SNK does with KOF and the constant re-balances 98 gets.

Regardless, I'm super excited about this and I'm glad Capcom is releasing this. And now that we got 3S and MvC2 with online play, does that mean we'll eventually get CvS2 or even CvS3? That's the last of the "Big 3" IMO.

quote:

Iggy
9267th Post

"Re(4):Wii U" , posted Thu 9 Jun 05:08post reply

quote:
As Iggy mentioned, just being able to play (certain) Wii games in HD would be a very big deal. The leap from SD to HD is huge.

Unfortunately, I spoke too soon: N confirmed the console wouldn't auto-upscale Wii games...
If they sell Mario Galaxy 1&2 HD for WiiU in 3 years, I'll be very pissed. Because Nintendo knows I'd be buying anyway.
Bastards.

shin ramberk
396th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(5):Wii U" , posted Thu 9 Jun 05:55post reply

quote:
I had actually thought that Apple would've tried for something like this, an integration between Apple TV and the iPad, with the iPad acting as a rich, extended interface to the television.

Its funny you mention this because Apple just released info new technology allowing developers to mirror video from the iPad to the TV through the Apple TV.

http://toucharcade.com/2011/06/08/real-racing-2-hd-will-be-first-to-support-airplay-mirroring/

What's even more funny is that Apple's solution is coming out this fall, before the Wii U arrives.

karasu99
645th Post

"Re(6):Wii U" , posted Thu 9 Jun 06:06post reply

quote:

Its funny you mention this because Apple just released info new technology allowing developers to mirror video from the iPad to the TV through the Apple TV.

http://toucharcade.com/2011/06/08/real-racing-2-hd-will-be-first-to-support-airplay-mirroring/

What's even more funny is that Apple's solution is coming out this fall, before the Wii U arrives.

Wow, this is actually something I've been looking forward to for a while! Hopefully while they're at it they'll make an app that lets you control apple tv from an ipad!

shin ramberk
397th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(7):Wii U" , posted Thu 9 Jun 06:43post reply

quote:

Hopefully while they're at it they'll make an app that lets you control apple tv from an ipad!

You can already do that...now. :)

karasu99
646th Post

"Re(8):Wii U" , posted Thu 9 Jun 07:10post reply

quote:

Hopefully while they're at it they'll make an app that lets you control apple tv from an ipad!

You can already do that...now. :)

Hum, I had thought that you could control iTunes, not AppleTV, but I could be totally wrong and stupid. Anyway, that's waaaaay OT.

Ishmael
4119th Post

"Re(6):The Third Strike y'all!" , posted Fri 10 Jun 01:54post reply

quote:
Haha that's how I'm always afraid of coming off whenever I discuss something that I'm passionate about.

Hah, your fiery passion burns friend and foe alike!

Speaking of passion, or lack thereof, it seems everyone on the internet is doing their best to deride or ignore the latest DmC video. This is how it should be.

Loona
420th Post

PSN: IkariLoona

Gold Customer

"Re(8):The Third Strike y'all!" , posted Fri 10 Jun 06:28post reply

quote:
And now that we got 3S and MvC2 with online play, does that mean we'll eventually get CvS2 or even CvS3? That's the last of the "Big 3" IMO.

They have a few games in the pipeline for now, but with some luck, maybe online CvS2 will get announced around the time SFxT gets released (as 3S is getting now that SSF4AE is out). Would be an interesting match to see it come out around the same time as Harada/Namco release or start revealing the cast for TxSF, to use the momentum from getting their crossover games talked about while one is released by a different company (dunno if there's a split, even if uneven, of the profits, but I'd certainly like to know how they're arranging this beyond "you can use our guys but we can use yours").

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Nekros
355th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(9):The Third Strike y'all!" , posted Wed 15 Jun 01:28post reply

Maybe is more realistic a new version of MVC3 (to be announced at Comic-On according to rumors) or the new iteration of SFIV (Ono stated that Super Arcade is probabily not the very last IV game).
I heard some people talking about the new big announcement regarding fighting games will be revealed at Comic-On by Capcom. Ono itself admitted during Capcom-Unity E3 coverage, that he'll reveal big news for SFxT, but that's all.

Iggy
9272th Post

"Re(10):The Third Strike y'all!" , posted Wed 15 Jun 02:26post reply

quote:
Ono itself admitted during Capcom-Unity E3 coverage, that he'll reveal big news for SFxT, but that's all.

Probably just the trailer for Dhalsim and Steve Fox, maybe Jin if they're feeling nice.
I don't think we'll hear about the revision of MvC3 before autumn... maybe they'll at least announce the last two DLC characters?