SC V: welcome back to the thread of history - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (9172 Views )

Maou
2190th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"SC V: welcome back to the thread of history" , posted Thu 12 May 06:04:post reply

New Soul Calibur 5 thread, you say? Okay.
quote:
put it back on the spotlight
The stage, really. Of history.

17 years in advance...this means that Talim can now be the new voluptuous late 30's woman, to the surprise of all. Despite the series going into the future, here's hoping that the wretched system is instead plunged into the past. Unlike other games, I never know who really designs the mechanics of my favorite games, so I have no idea if the people to make the good Soul Caliburs (1,2) are even still around. Certainly, the people who started putting bad things in (Necrid, guests, near-total elimination of low attacks and good 8-way run moves) are still leeching off, but...

I am thoroughly impressed that the new logo at least is even more tacky than Soul Calibur 4.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 12 May 06:07]

Replies:

karasu99
609th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris
Wii: n/a

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):SC V: welcome back to the thread of his" , posted Thu 12 May 07:41post reply

quote:

I am thoroughly impressed that the new logo at least is even more tacky than Soul Calibur 4.

To be fair, 'V' looks much better in a logo in general that 'IV'.

I'm a little excited about this, despite the wretched excesses of the last few games. The two designs we've seen are nice, and the time skip is a good idea. Maybe they will make me really happy and dump the create-a-fighter in favor of an updated mission mode like in 1 and 2.

Spoon
2156th Post

"Re(1):SC V: welcome back to the thread of his" , posted Thu 12 May 11:00post reply

quote:
17 years in advance...

I honestly don't think anybody is going to be aged significantly. Or maybe that bust size chart that was released was a cleverly designed ruse to throw us off!

...... are you ready for saggy Ivy?

Freeter
4534th Post

"soul blubber" , posted Thu 12 May 12:56post reply

quote:

Or Cervantes in a diaper?

maese
629th Post

"Re(1):soul blubber" , posted Thu 12 May 20:56post reply

Let's flesh out the thread with some info from the developers. Here the project's producer talks about the new & old features we will find in SCV. And here the same producer makes me wet with his remark of SCV being actually the true sequel to the old Soul Edge.

And now, let the character rants & speculation begin!

quote:

Or Cervantes in a diaper?

I wouldn't worry about that. Cervantes is an ageless zombie and Ivy is an adept alchemist, so either she would have found an eternal youth elixir by the time of SCV or she would send her youthful yet equally voluptuous daughter to fight for her on the tournament.

The thought of a saggy Taki is what worries me most... then again, knowing how well japanese ladies tend to age, maybe we would be plesantly surprised.

Oh, and there is some speculation around the net about Pyrrha, Patroklo's sister, appearing in he game in an antagonist role. Judging from his portrait, Patroklos could very well be a bad boy type of protagonist, a la Kazuya in Tekken, and Pyrrha would be the true inheritor of Sophitia's heavenly sword style and would try to get her temperamental brother in check. Thus we'd get our share of familiar drama in Soul series as well.

Oh well, we'll see.

BONUS TRACK: sketches directly from the designer's desk. Maybe that languid looking lady is actually Pyrrha?

Ishmael
4088th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a

"Re(2):soul blubber" , posted Fri 13 May 01:42post reply

quote:
Oh, and there is some speculation around the net about Pyrrha, Patroklo's sister, appearing in he game in an antagonist role. Judging from his portrait, Patroklos could very well be a bad boy type of protagonist, a la Kazuya in Tekken, and Pyrrha would be the true inheritor of Sophitia's heavenly sword style and would try to get her temperamental brother in check. Thus we'd get our share of familiar drama in Soul series as well.

I'll bet that Pyrrha will be in the game in some capacity as well. Whether she will be Lizardman to Patroklos' Sophitia or have a totally different play style will remain to be seen but I'm guessing one or the other will be swinging a stubby version of Soul Calibur. That's the only explanation I can think of that makes sense of Tago's "the enigma as to why the swords have become short swords" line.

The blurb about how SC5 will be "lighter, sharper, and more elegant" also intrigues me. Does this mean the game engine is going to change dramatically? Or is this simply a reference to the plot shifting away from the absurdly large swords of Siegfried and Nightmare?

While there are currently no answers to these questions I can at least take comfort in the news that there will still be some form of character customization. I really enjoy putting new pants on video game characters and I have no idea why.

Maou
2190th Post

"Re(3):soul blubber" , posted Fri 13 May 02:23post reply

quote:
gameplay that is more continuous – you don't need to wait as much between moves.

The blurb about how SC5 will be "lighter, sharper, and more elegant" also intrigues me.
Ish, this interested me, too, the bit about more "continuous" gameplay. It's hard to tell in translation here if this is what they mean, but I hope it's this: one of the most interesting things about returning to our beloved SC2 with my master last weekend after years away was how FAST and FLUID it is. SC3 and 4 are like wading through molasses or playing soccer in a swamp.

And what's important is that SC2's fluidity and speed are highly technical---it's full of variation of highs and lows, 8-way run, precise moves, and variable ending to multi-hits. This is all the more glaring after 3 and 4, which are willfully sluggish because it doesn't matter, since 95% of attacks are mid-high and there is no good 8-way run. After 2, SC 3 and 4 feel about as 3D as Tekken Tag.

Gojira
2735th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
Wii: 80085

"Re(4):soul blubber" , posted Fri 13 May 02:37post reply

Odashima had an interesting tweet that originally he wanted to call the game Soul Edge 2, but that idea was rejected. While I can imagine why it was rejected, I have to wonder why he would want to go back to the series' old name in the first place.

karasu99
611th Post

"Re(5):soul blubber" , posted Fri 13 May 02:49post reply

quote:
Odashima had an interesting tweet that originally he wanted to call the game Soul Edge 2, but that idea was rejected. While I can imagine why it was rejected, I have to wonder why he would want to go back to the series' old name in the first place.

I've really never understood why it was changed from Edge to Calibur though-- not that it really matters. And I've really never known why Soul Blade (arcade) became Soul Edge (PSX) either.

Maou
2191th Post

"Re(6):soul blubber" , posted Fri 13 May 02:55post reply

quote:
I've really never understood why it was changed from Edge to Calibur though-- not that it really matters. And I've really never known why Soul Blade (arcade) became Soul Edge (PSX) either.
That was just some US trademark thing I hear. It's always just been Soul Edge in reality. I'm really glad you reminded me of the greatest game song of the 90's outside of Dayyytoooona.

Tai-Pan
500th Post

PSN: n/a
XBL: Kusanagi82

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):soul blubber" , posted Fri 13 May 03:44post reply

quote:

The blurb about how SC5 will be "lighter, sharper, and more elegant" also intrigues me. Does this mean the game engine is going to change dramatically? Or is this simply a reference to the plot shifting away from the absurdly large swords of Siegfried and Nightmare?

Exactly. As strange as it may sound when I think of the old Soul Edge and SC 2 I think of an elegant and sharp game. Sounds silly but those are the adjectives that come to my mind. Even if there were bouncing boobs in it it just felt different. Then SC3 became this bizarre fighting game with HUGE amounts of everything and exaggerated proportions. Huge breasts, extra large swords. They just went ahead and enlarged the bombastic yet not exaggerated presentation of SC2.
It makes sense to me why he was thinking about naming this version Soul Edge 2.

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

karasu99
612th Post

"Re(7):soul blubber" , posted Fri 13 May 03:48post reply

quote:
I'm really glad you reminded me of the greatest game song of the 90's outside of Dayyytoooona.

Wooooooowwwww, that really takes me back! Great song, and a great intro in its day. That was a really well put together game-- with its QTE-ish endings (before I was irritated by QTEs) that you could change! I still remember Mitsurugi vs Tanegashima fondly.

Maou, you have made my day!

Olivier Hague
158th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):soul blubber" , posted Fri 13 May 05:00:post reply

quote:
there is some speculation around the net about Pyrrha, Patroklo's sister, appearing in he game in an antagonist role. Judging from his portrait, Patroklos could very well be a bad boy type of protagonist, a la Kazuya in Tekken, and Pyrrha would be the true inheritor of Sophitia's heavenly sword style and would try to get her temperamental brother in check. Thus we'd get our share of familiar drama in Soul series as well.

But Pyrrha couldn't survive anymore without Soul Edge, in SoulCalibur IV, so that makes her a likely heel candidate...

quote:
BONUS TRACK: sketches directly from the designer's desk. Maybe that languid looking lady is actually Pyrrha?

It most probably is Salia: * *

quote:

"Whole new chapter"? A 17-year time skip would justify that...

quote:
That was just some US trademark thing I hear.

Yup.
Shouldn't be a problem anymore, but "SoulCalibur" is probably more evocative as a title than "Soul Edge", at this point...

[this message was edited by Olivier Hague on Fri 13 May 05:01]

Iggy
9252th Post

"Re(2):soul blubber" , posted Fri 13 May 05:11post reply

quote:
The thought of a saggy Taki is what worries me most...

Ivy using alchemy to do something about her boobs is a given (she alchemi-ed herself a safety soul just in case... She's the Batman of the Soulcalibur universe). However, I would expect Taki to remain just the same simply by the sheer power of her awesomeness.
Since she was the one doing all the work backstage while Mitsurugi and Kilik were showing off as the official heroes, she probably just added Gravity to the long list of "stuff whom ass she kicked".

I do wonder if the game will dare have a 40-something female in its cast that actually looks her age... Now THAT would be interesting.
That and the crossover with Family Guy / Transformers / Haruhi / David Attenborough.

sfried
672th Post

Wii: 8963437745913552

"Re(8):TO LOVE! TO SHINE!" , posted Fri 13 May 07:39:post reply

quote:
I'm really glad you reminded me of the greatest game song of the 90's outside of Dayyytoooona.

Wooooooowwwww, that really takes me back! Great song, and a great intro in its day. That was a really well put together game-- with its QTE-ish endings (before I was irritated by QTEs) that you could change! I still remember Mitsurugi vs Tanegashima fondly.

Maou, you have made my day!

Why didn't they ever bring back that theme song in subsequent installments?

Copyright issues yet again?

Edit: More complete version of song

[this message was edited by sfried on Fri 13 May 07:41]

Loona
408th Post

PSN: IkariLoona

Gold Customer

"Re(2):soul blubber" , posted Fri 13 May 19:26post reply

quote:
Cervantes is an ageless zombie and Ivy is an adept alchemist, so either she would have found an eternal youth elixir by the time of SCV or she would send her youthful yet equally voluptuous daughter to fight for her on the tournament.

Ivy seems too resentful of her lineage to want to breed. She's a driven woman though - if she's still intent on destroying all things Soul-Edge-related, she probably could prolong her life to ensure she fulfills that task.
Still, I kinda hope she gets a slight outfit shift, or at least option, that more armor or military based, some of hers in the past looked good and de-emphasized the character's sexualization in a tasteful way.

quote:

The thought of a saggy Taki is what worries me most... then again, knowing how well japanese ladies tend to age, maybe we would be plesantly surprised.

Taki's part of a clan (didn't someone in it get possessed or something in her SC3 ending?). I wouldn't be surprised if she were replaced by a male counterpart, with maybe a Cassandra-ish variation tossed in there too. While Taki gets to be a baddass matriach to that ninja clan or something.

quote:

quote:

Why not let the rirl be the villain? The series could use one to take Tira's place (I doubt they'll age her. I recall her attempt to take Sophitia's kids in SC3, but I didn't see the SC4 endings... I wonder if there was a follow up to that...

As for the short swords thing, the series already contemplated that before - at least in SC3 (again...), both Soul Edge and Soul Calibur changed shape (before the boss battle with Abyss in story mode) to match the character's type of weapon.
If the plot moves away from Siegfired and Nightmare, so might the sword's standard look change accordingly.

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Ishmael
4090th Post

"Re(3):soul blubber" , posted Sat 14 May 01:08post reply

quote:

As others have noted, some of those characters are from Siegfried's SC1 ending. Is the mystery woman part of that group? Is it actually Hilde? Are we trying to read too much into a sketch on Twitter?

quote:
Taki's part of a clan (didn't someone in it get possessed or something in her SC3 ending?). I wouldn't be surprised if she were replaced by a male counterpart, with maybe a Cassandra-ish variation tossed in there too. While Taki gets to be a baddass matriach to that ninja clan or something.

I will accept a male replacement for Taki only if he also wears a one piece body stocking. If someone's going to be trained in the demon fighting branch of ninjitsu they need to dress the part.

Olivier Hague
158th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):soul blubber" , posted Sat 14 May 18:06post reply

quote:
As others have noted, some of those characters are from Siegfried's SC1 ending. Is the mystery woman part of that group?

According to the katakana, it looks like that's Salia (or the name is close enough, anyway... her daughter?).

Pollyanna
3034th Post

PSN: Lilly_Dopamine

"Re(4):soul blubber" , posted Sat 14 May 19:46post reply

quote:

I will accept a male replacement for Taki only if he also wears a one piece body stocking. If someone's going to be trained in the demon fighting branch of ninjitsu they need to dress the part.

When you said this, the first thing that came to mind was "Pepsiman will make his return to 3D fighting!"

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Gojira
2738th Post

"Re(5):soul blubber" , posted Wed 18 May 20:49post reply

Two tweets this morning: in case there was any doubt, Odashima has confirmed that Pyrrah is a character in the game as he is currently helping to tweak her moves. Also, apparently the guest character has already been decided. They can't reveal who it is for a while, though.

Nate
982th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(6):soul blubber" , posted Thu 19 May 00:47post reply

I am, of course, interested.

I just want them to fix that annoying health loss aspect of Tira's style, if she does indeed make it in. If not, I hope for a new rhythmic gymnastics fighter with an absurd weapon!

Also, hi, I'm alive.

ワンダフル! ビューティフル! エキサイティング!

Iggy
9260th Post

"Re(7):soul blubber" , posted Thu 19 May 00:59post reply

quote:
Also, hi, I'm alive.

Maybe... but what color is your hair?

Nate
983th Post

"Re(8):soul blubber" , posted Thu 19 May 04:53post reply

quote:

Maybe... but what color is your hair?

Brown with an ever increasing amount of gray/white?

ワンダフル! ビューティフル! エキサイティング!

Iggy
9261th Post

"Re(9):soul blubber" , posted Thu 19 May 05:22post reply

quote:
Brown with an ever increasing amount of gray/white?

It's the INTERNET. You can PRETEND.
Or is the increasing white in your hair a preparation for a future Ivy cosplay? I knew it! All is forgiven!

Also, Olivier made me notice that in order to make sure everyone would acknowledge Patroclus as the son of Sophitia, they gave him his mother(and aunt)'s most memorable trait... that is, all three of them refuse to reveal their weight.
You put settings wherever you can, I guess.

sfried
674th Post

Wii: 8963437745913552

"Re(7):soul blubber" , posted Thu 19 May 13:33post reply

quote:
If not, I hope for a new rhythmic gymnastics fighter with an absurd weapon!
You just reminded my of that girl from Asuka 100% Burning Fest.

Ishmael
4096th Post

"Re(8):soul blubber" , posted Fri 20 May 22:26post reply

A Pyrrha sketch has shown up. She doesn't look quite as scrappy as Aunt Cassandra was, that's for sure.

Ishmael
4106th Post

"Re(9):soul roster" , posted Tue 31 May 21:53post reply

Mitsurugi pops up.

Just a Person
1477th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(4):soul blubber" , posted Tue 31 May 23:45post reply

quote:

You mean, with bouncing physics as well? Ew...

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

Maou
2198th Post

"Re(5):soul blubber" , posted Wed 1 Jun 11:18post reply

quote:
You mean, with bouncing physics as well? Ew...
Fair's fair! Actually, Voldo has always been such a heroic counterweight to all the girls in Soul Calibur. Imagine if he were actually attractive!

badoor
201th Post

PSN: BadoorSNK
XBL: BadoorSNK

Frequent Customer

"Re(6):soul blubber" , posted Wed 1 Jun 15:01:post reply

1st screenshot of Pyrrha and grey-haired Mitsurugi's back

I know it's early but this seems to look a lot like SCIV in term of lighting and color. And I'm not really digging Phyrrha's blank expression.

[this message was edited by badoor on Wed 1 Jun 15:02]

Mozex
431th Post

PSN: Mozex

Gold Customer

"Re(7):soul blubber" , posted Thu 2 Jun 03:51post reply

quote:
I know it's early but this seems to look a lot like SCIV in term of lighting and color.

BLOOM!

I wish they would fire the guy at Namco who decided that HD=bloom.

Be kind to goblins.

Nekros
351th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(7):soul blubber" , posted Thu 2 Jun 04:51post reply

quote:

I know it's early but this seems to look a lot like SCIV in term of lighting and color. And I'm not really digging Phyrrha's blank expression.

It looks absolutely bland and uninspired. TTT2 has more colorful and personal appeal, this in comparison is like generic-PCgame-n.20000000000000

Oh my
27th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(8):soul blubber" , posted Thu 2 Jun 06:18post reply

I mean no harm and I don’t want to bring any conflicts.

But I am curious about all those who like Soul Calibur. How do you all manage to make all those movement without having conflict with the 3D environment? I played the 2nd part in game cube and I didn’t find any difficulty at all but how to makes the special movement.

My friends and I just used Talim holding the joystick like this and with that we passed all the game and the entire quest, it was stupid.

So what’s the trick, play like crazy?

what?

Maou
2200th Post

"soul eyeliner" , posted Thu 2 Jun 12:16:post reply

quote:

Still looking SC3- and SC4-level gaudy, hopefully the end result will be better! Even more than pastel horror, I'm wondering whether SC5's characters will all have the crazy black eyeshadow effect in-game from 4's accidental (or intentional??) failure to make proper eyelashes.
quote:
My friends and I just used Talim holding the joystick like this and with that we passed all the game and the entire quest, it was stupid.
Playing the single-player game in a fighting game is stupid, simple as that. Finishing a quest is not the point of a fighter and not a measure of how deep the game is. Whether the AI is "good" or not doesn't even matter because the ultimate goal of fighting is to have a test of wits and mindgames with your human opponent. A computer cannot be "tricked" or "surprised" or "exhausted" by your strategy. The fact that SC3 focused on the one player mode is actually a testament to how badly the series went awry.

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 2 Jun 12:21]

Ishmael
4110th Post

"Re(1):soul eyeliner" , posted Fri 3 Jun 01:40post reply

quote:
BLOOM!

I didn't expect SC5 to be a brand new game but I had hoped that they would realize that just because you can put everything on the screen at once doesn't mean you should.

quote:
But I am curious about all those who like Soul Calibur. How do you all manage to make all those movement without having conflict with the 3D environment? I played the 2nd part in game cube and I didn’t find any difficulty at all but how to makes the special movement.

In most 3D games you are locked in to facing your opponent so even though you can move around on the Z axis it's always going to be in relation to where the other character is. For example, I can't think of any fighting game where you can turn your back on your opponent and wander off to some corner of the arena. Since the game engine is built around the idea that most of the time you are standing toe to toe with your opponent exchanging blows the controls are more designed for attack than movement.

quote:
Even more than pastel horror, I'm wondering whether SC5's characters will all have the crazy black eyeshadow effect in-game from 4's accidental (or intentional??) failure to make proper eyelashes.

But having all the characters look like they should be starring in bad YouTube make-up tutorials was the best part of SC4! If SC must have guest characters I'm hoping we can have characters played by Johnny Depp in this one. Not only would his period pieces be a better match than Jedis or some of the other crap that's shown up in the game, he's a man who knows how to make thick eye liner work.

Tim Curry characters would be an acceptable secondary choice.

quote:
Playing the single-player game in a fighting game is stupid, simple as that. Finishing a quest is not the point of a fighter and not a measure of how deep the game is. Whether the AI is "good" or not doesn't even matter because the ultimate goal of fighting is to have a test of wits and mindgames with your human opponent. A computer cannot be "tricked" or "surprised" or "exhausted" by your strategy. The fact that SC3 focused on the one player mode is actually a testament to how badly the series went awry.

If a fighting game is nothing but the game itself it is accused of being bare bones. But if it has extras such as challenges, go-kart racing, hanafuda games or whatever it is accused of diluting the main game. Is there any sort of workable middle ground?

TheRedKnight
310th Post

PSN: no
XBL: no
Wii: no

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):soul eyeliner" , posted Fri 3 Jun 23:25:post reply

Ultras?

quote:
For example, I can't think of any fighting game where you can turn your back on your opponent and wander off to some corner of the arena.

No wonder there haven't been any Virtua Fighter threads around here!

THE LEGEND OF THE STRONGEST FIGHTING LORD OF ALL TIME!

[this message was edited by TheRedKnight on Fri 3 Jun 23:28]

Maou
2200th Post

"Re(3):soul eyeliner" , posted Sat 4 Jun 01:15post reply

quote:
Ultras?

For example, I can't think of any fighting game where you can turn your back on your opponent and wander off to some corner of the arena.

No wonder there haven't been any Virtua Fighter threads around here!

Let's not forget the happy days of BUSHIDO BLADE and/or interesting Squaresoft games!

Baines
284th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(4):soul eyeliner" , posted Sat 4 Jun 02:22post reply

quote:
Let's not forget the happy days of BUSHIDO BLADE and/or interesting Squaresoft games!

And Ehrgeiz. Although some might consider it included as one of the interesting Squaresoft games.

Maybe the first Powerstone, before it became a four-person stage effect driven melee brawler.

Oh my
28th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(5):soul eyeliner" , posted Sat 4 Jun 02:47post reply

quote:
And Ehrgeiz. Although some might consider it included as one of the interesting Squaresoft games.

Awwwwwwwww I was going to mention that game. It got me because of the FF characters, specially Vincent and Sephiroth. I had fun using Vincent in the suit on the beach challenge thing. WOW, those years, it was like a fighting game BOOM, I think it was around 97-98.

what?

kofoguz
891th Post

"Re(6):soul eyeliner" , posted Sat 4 Jun 05:50post reply

Samurai Spirits guest character would be awesome.

Pollyanna
3038th Post

PSN: Lilly_Dopamine

"Re(6):soul blubber" , posted Sat 4 Jun 07:59post reply

quote:
You mean, with bouncing physics as well? Ew... Fair's fair! Actually, Voldo has always been such a heroic counterweight to all the girls in Soul Calibur. Imagine if he were actually attractive!

Although I can't blame people for rolling their eyes at the growing breasts in the SC series, we must remember that breasts are not genitals. (unless you're referring to a different part of a man jiggling)

I think SC4 played "fair", seeing as the men had improbable figures and could be stripped in the character edit mode just like the women. Not that "playing fair" makes anything less distasteful...but my complaint with SC is how it assaults my eyes in a non-sexual way.

On a related note, the clothing damage system looked decent on the real characters, but the custom costumes just EXPLODED OFF OF YOU. It was ridiculous, but I'll kind of miss it if they don't bring it back. Kicking a man 3 times in the shins to make his PANTS EXPLODE was pretty incredible. I guess I'd prefer a little more dignity all around, but if you're going ridiculous, go all the way!

quote:

I know it's early but this seems to look a lot like SCIV in term of lighting and color. And I'm not really digging Phyrrha's blank expression

The director specifically said they hadn't added facial expressions yet, so that's good!

I thought the trailer they released looked bad because it was obviously REALLY early, but I think it was altogether a little less gaudy than SC4. As in...it didn't assault my eyes.

quote:

I don't have a problem with the 3D aspect, but I do have a problem with SC and Tekken (especially) because of the huge number of moves you have to memorize. There's often very little logic to the combos, so if I take a month or two off, I don't remember how to play anymore.

This probably wouldn't be a problem if I only used one character, but I use quite a few. I would say I was "respectable" at Tekken 6 when it came out, but I'm like "lower than button masher skill" now. BlazBlue is starting to feel like that, too...

quote:
If a fighting game is nothing but the game itself it is accused of being bare bones. But if it has extras such as challenges, go-kart racing, hanafuda games or whatever it is accused of diluting the main game. Is there any sort of workable middle ground?

I feel like they should always shoot for extra content, not because I want it, but because lots of people do, and it makes the game look bad if it's lacking ("No proper whatever mode in this day and age!?"). I don't think it makes sense to say that extra modes "dilute" the game, because we have no clue how the game would've turned out had they not done extra modes. Maybe we'd just end up with a poorly balanced game with no extra content.

I'm not saying that you're arguing that point, I'm just arguing it against the invisible masses.

My personal point of contention is "no proper online mode in this day and age!?". There seems to be something horribly obnoxious about every online mode in every game I play. SOME thing that makes me think "Didn't you test this at all!?" SF4's random song player while you're waiting for a match is something that should've become standard in every game ever and has yet to be replicated (to my knowledge).

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Ishmael
4111th Post

"Re(7):soul eyeliner" , posted Sat 4 Jun 08:39post reply

Hahaha, people are arguing semantics while ignoring the elephant in the room that is the SC5 trailer!

From a visual standpoint it's most certainly a succesor to SC4. As Polly noted it's not as gaudy as SC4 so that's something. The stages appear to include the standard ship deck and yet another one of those 16th century steel cage smackdown arenas that the cast keeps wandering into. Trying to figure out fighting stages that are scenic but functional must be a tough trick.

The strafing and general movement looks a lot faster this time out. The swooping super attacks were also a new, interesting touch. Are Critical Edge attacks back? Do the unblockables have new POV shots? Is it something else? Whatever it is, it's nice to see since they haven't done that much with the in-game camera since SC1.

badoor
203th Post

PSN: BadoorSNK
XBL: BadoorSNK

Frequent Customer

"Re(8):soul eyeliner" , posted Sat 4 Jun 10:59post reply

quote:
Hahaha, people are arguing semantics while ignoring the elephant in the room that is the SC5 trailer!
Ok then. Lets talk about it.

So SC5 has super moves now. Thinking about it, it's strange that there's not a lot of 3D fighters with "super moves". Not only that, there's not even any sort of "meter-management" elements to a lot of them. I guess maybe because traditionally, 3D fighters were conceived as being more grounded and "realistic", with a basis on real martial arts, than 2D fighters.

Oh and Phyrrha is apparently of the "apologetic girl" archetype, which totally makes it funny when she says sorry to Mitsurugi after doing a 5 hit juggling combo.

Oh my
29th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):soul eyeliner" , posted Sun 5 Jun 03:22post reply

quote:
Whether the AI is "good" or not doesn't even matter because the ultimate goal of fighting is to have a test of wits and mindgames with your human opponent.

quote:

In most 3D games you are locked in to facing your opponent so even though you can move around on the Z axis it's always going to be in relation to where the other character is. For example, I can't think of any fighting game where you can turn your back on your opponent and wander off to some corner of the arena. Since the game engine is built around the idea that most of the time you are standing toe to toe with your opponent exchanging blows the controls are more designed for attack than movement.

Even play with humans opponent with that game is stupid. I move up in order to jump and the character moves “north” then I move down to crouch and the character move” south”, its makes me have mild symptoms of Tourette and I start to get angry. It is like get lucky to see what moves you do while moving the joy stick like crazy. That’s the bad thing when I get used to play games like Street Fighter (my personal fave the EX series). At least with that game I know how to make the movements with no problems except with Guile.

I consider that the extra modes and challenges are a good thing in order to find the bonus,you know, find new weapons and unlock secrets or characters. Ah, and it makes you practice instead of play the game over and over until you get used to it, you know, practice makes the master.

In my opinion, the SC series are the perfect example that SEX SELLS, hello. Even thought the game got me because the graphics ARE AWSOME and it was the first fighting game with weapons that’s really, REALLY looks good (not like battle arena toshinden). But in gameplay, in my opinion(again), the game is not so good. I think the series is still alive because of that Sex appeal thing.

Come on, that game got everything for male and female audience. HA, that guy with the stick and the “mysterious dark I don’t know who” turn to be a SEXY HOT guy with a HUGE sword, FOR GODSAKE hahahaha. Anyway I think is entertaining, is just art. I got a female friend who really like that game for the story and the romantic felling it has.

what?

TheRedKnight
310th Post

PSN: no
XBL: no
Wii: no

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):soul eyeliner" , posted Sun 5 Jun 07:33post reply

xxxshingotheone1999xxx is a girl now?

THE LEGEND OF THE STRONGEST FIGHTING LORD OF ALL TIME!

Loona
416th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(7):soul eyeliner" , posted Mon 6 Jun 18:14post reply

quote:

This, so much - SS Sen borrowed so much from the SC template any character could be an easy fit. Pet character wouldn't work, and Haohmaru could be easily mistaken for Mitsurugi, so who'd be different yet fitting enough? Jubei, Hanzo?...
Between 3 SS characters in an upcoming crossover game and S being in Harada's list of Facebook "likes" (mostly irrelevant, since SC isn't his thing, but one can hope), I'm not givving up on he possibility yet...

Maou
2210th Post

"welcome back to the upskirts of history" , posted Sat 11 Jun 12:57:post reply

Hmm, no more comments on the Soul Calibur V E3 trailer mentioned above yet? Struck me as a little less garish than in still shots, as Polly said, so that's a start. No eyeliner, check. Pirate ships are old hat by now, but I'm surprised some of the nice choices from 1's stages aren't more common. Yeah, they were all just re-skinned square arenas, but the stormy level at sea and all of that seemed so cinematic, then and now. I'm also encouraged that Sophitia's daughter is boldly following in her mother's footsteps within mere seconds after being revealed in motion.

Namco would probably do well to stop embarrassing themselves in public by using American "actors" in their promo videos, but hey.

[this message was edited by Maou on Sat 11 Jun 13:10]

maese
637th Post

"Re(1):welcome back to the upskirts of history" , posted Sat 11 Jun 19:28post reply

quote:
Hmm, no more comments on the Soul Calibur V E3 trailer mentioned above yet?

Actually I was very impressed by certain thing of the trailer and wanted to share it with you all, but didin't have the time nor the confidence on being able to put it in words... Well, what the heck, let's try.

Character models, backgrounds and etc. seem pretty much the same as in SCIV, which is kind of disapointing. But the reason of my excitement came when I saw some actual gameplay. I was surpised by the pace, the flow, the rythm of the combat. Namco guys seem to have taken the same approach as SFIV, a very wise step on my opinion. Now they move the camera a lot: they zoom in on the character when he/she is doing something cool, then it focuses again on the classic general view of the two combatants, then the camera goes crazy again with zooms and travellings when the pace of the combat itself demands it... If this approach becomes a trend and other games dig deeper into this concept, it could mean a (much needed) paradigm change in fighting games. A pivotal point similar to the revolution that SFII ("creating" the fighting genre) or Virtua Fighter (bringing on the polygon era) brought to the genre on its day.

I don't know how to say it, but this new paradigm I'm talking about is not so much about how many polygons you can mash up in one character anymore. Character models are already pretty enough, detailed enough. It is rather about the way you *show* those characters on screen and make them flash, make them appealing and awesome on the eyes of the player.

That new camera system on SCV is a new step on that direction, and that's a brilliant move in my opinion. I can't help but feeling that fighting games nowadays need a change, a profound and essential change to liberate them from theur niche and make them *really* interesting again, just as they were on their heyday. And I think this is the right direction for that change. Of course, I am reading too much into a mere trailer of an uncomplete game; Namco has still plenty of time to screw things up, but honestly I can see a very promising potential here. Please, Namco, don't dissapoint me!

kofoguz
898th Post

"Re(8):soul eyeliner" , posted Sat 11 Jun 23:52:post reply

quote:

This, so much - SS Sen borrowed so much from the SC template any character could be an easy fit. Pet character wouldn't work, and Haohmaru could be easily mistaken for Mitsurugi, so who'd be different yet fitting enough? Jubei, Hanzo?...
Between 3 SS characters in an upcoming crossover game and S being in Harada's list of Facebook "likes" (mostly irrelevant, since SC isn't his thing, but one can hope), I'm not givving up on he possibility yet...

Nakoruru would be perfect pick, she's timeless, popular and Mamahaha might fit new super formula&gameplay.

EDIT: I agree with Maese if the camera effects could add a lot to Soire, that means it's working. But the part that doesnt work is if thw said move is too long and camera always choose the same angle for the same move it starts to look repetetive and tiring. So maybe random angles for each time you perform the move might overcome this problem.

[this message was edited by kofoguz on Sat 11 Jun 23:58]

Mozex
433th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):soul eyeliner" , posted Sun 12 Jun 00:31post reply

quote:
Even play with humans opponent with that game is stupid. I move up in order to jump and the character moves “north” then I move down to crouch and the character move” south”, its makes me have mild symptoms of Tourette and I start to get angry. It is like get lucky to see what moves you do while moving the joy stick like crazy. That’s the bad thing when I get used to play games like Street Fighter (my personal fave the EX series). At least with that game I know how to make the movements with no problems except with Guile.

The fact that jump jump/walk up and crouch/walk down share the same joystick direction infuriate me as well. Attack X should be equally effective whether I'm standing on the left or right side of the other player, but since it's easier to walk in certain directions that rule is broken.

Be kind to goblins.

Ishmael
4121th Post

"Re(1):welcome back to the upskirts of history" , posted Sun 12 Jun 02:31post reply

As a matter of public record, a video showing the life bars and super meters has been posted.

quote:
I'm also encouraged that Sophitia's daughter is boldly following in her mother's footsteps within mere seconds after being revealed in motion.

It has been noted that Pyrrha's fighting style will be more her own and less of her mother's when the game is finished. But I guess that fighting against both an opponent and a free-roaming camera in a skirt like that is now a family tradition. What a grand way to honor your forefathers.

Maou
2211th Post

"Re(3):soul eyeliner" , posted Sun 12 Jun 02:34:post reply

quote:
The fact that jump jump/walk up and crouch/walk down share the same joystick direction infuriate me as well.
Hmmmm, were you thinking of Tekken? Jump has no role in SC and is done by holding block and then up, or down for crouch. This is a problem for other 3D fighters that was made into a total non-issue in SC.

Maese, I noticed the dynamo camera as well...it's sort of an idea that actually reaches back to 2D games with Marvel etc. following one character to double-screen heights and that always intrigued/worried me. It's hard to do---who gets to have the camera on them, and how does that disorient the other guy unfairly?---but seems like an interesting thing. All the more so since the pace finally looked faster than in Soul Molasses 3 and 4.

quote:
fighting against both an opponent and a free-roaming camera in a skirt like that is now a family tradition. What a grand way to honor your forefathers.
I'm telling you, it's the finest example of filial piety I've seen all week.

[this message was edited by Maou on Sun 12 Jun 02:39]

Mozex
434th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):soul eyeliner" , posted Sun 12 Jun 10:30post reply

quote:
The fact that jump jump/walk up and crouch/walk down share the same joystick direction infuriate me as well. Hmmmm, were you thinking of Tekken? Jump has no role in SC and is done by holding block and then up, or down for crouch. This is a problem for other 3D fighters that was made into a total non-issue in SC.

Avast! I did get it wrong but I was thinking of SC.

Up is just dodge up so it's very responsive, but when I push down I don't know if I'm going to crouch or dodge down (I think the difference is double-tap vs hold). Dodging up feels more responsive, but certain moves can only be dodged down in a timely fashion since you'd actually move into the opponent's swing dodging up.

Certain characters heavily favor swinging from the right side of their body (Astoroth comes to mind) so I'm at a disadvantage if I'm standing on the left side of the screen since my easiest dodge actually moves into the majority of his right-handed swings.

Be kind to goblins.

Ishmael
4125th Post

"Re(5):soul eyeliner" , posted Thu 16 Jun 04:35post reply

Cover story on EGM.

Nothing really new on the game itself, although the producers noting that the franchise was pretty much stalled out and that fan enthusiasm helped get SC5 approved is an interesting tidbit. I don't know if that is true or not but it's a nice little complement to the people who have stuck with the series.

Maou
2215th Post

"website rebuild" , posted Thu 23 Jun 12:06post reply

A real website menu, finally, even if mostly under construction.

O, oh...Sophitia died from the "Evil" (Evil Sperm/Evil Seed influence?), you say? Or is that just her son's misperception, hence the exclamation mark? I demand to know what Sophitia looked like at 40+.

Ishmael
4159th Post

"Re(1):website rebuild" , posted Fri 22 Jul 00:03post reply

It turned out the second shadow wasn't Raphael but was instead some guy who snuck out of Castlevania Judgment.

Iggy
9281th Post

"Re(2):website rebuild" , posted Fri 22 Jul 03:48post reply

quote:
It turned out the second shadow wasn't Raphael but was instead some guy who snuck out of Castlevania Judgment.

And that proves low waist jeans were invented before the zipper.

maese
640th Post

"Re(2):website rebuild" , posted Fri 22 Jul 04:13post reply

So Taki's sucessor is actually a western tennager kunoichi, huh? Well, I expected the teenager part, but the blondie thing... I can't say I did see that one coming.

The good news are that Ivy still looks gorgeous, and a little bit less trashy than her previous incarnation. I totally love her femme fatale expression on her illustrated portrait. And that new cross-sworded guy reminds me of a random Hong Kong comic thug, much in the vein of Wing Sing Ma's works, which is not a bad thing at all in my book.

Overall this SCV is shaping pretty well I think! But it's a shame that the hand-drawn character protraits look way, waaaay better than any of the 3D models. Almost makes you wish they'd convert the Soul series into 2D.

Gojira
2766th Post

"Re(3):website rebuild" , posted Fri 22 Jul 04:45post reply

quote:

From that weird yet familiar way he holds his sword, I'm guessing he might have some of Apprentice's moves?

Well, as long as he's not replacing Raph. And hey, Judgement wasn't so bad! It had... nice music.

Loona
441th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):website rebuild" , posted Fri 22 Jul 05:08post reply

quote:

From that weird yet familiar way he holds his sword, I'm guessing he might have some of Apprentice's moves?

Maybe, but cnosiderin he's using a sort of conventional sword like a tonfa in the picture, I wouldn't be surprised if he could change stances between sword and tonfa mode (like Ivy's whip and sword modes). His name being german for "two" seems to encourage that, we'll see...

Ishmael
4161th Post

"Re(3):website rebuild" , posted Fri 22 Jul 08:11post reply

quote:
So Taki's sucessor is actually a western tennager kunoichi, huh? Well, I expected the teenager part, but the blondie thing... I can't say I did see that one coming.

Is she caucasian or is she going for a hostess club sort of look? That overly teased hair could be blonde or dyed to within an inch of its life. If you put her in a cocktail dress she could easily pass for one of the girls Kazuma Kiryu would toss thousands of yen at.

(Sheesh, out of all the aspects of a foreign culture I can learn about I study up on hostess clubs? What is wrong with me?)

Mosquiton
1786th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(3):website rebuild" , posted Fri 22 Jul 08:26post reply

quote:

The good news are that Ivy still looks gorgeous, and a little bit less trashy than her previous incarnation. I totally love her femme fatale expression on her illustrated portrait.

I fully agree. She looks way better than she did in 4. I will accept her once again.

quote:
And that new cross-sworded guy reminds me of a random Hong Kong comic thug, much in the vein of Wing Sing Ma's works, which is not a bad thing at all in my book.

It's not a bad design for a dude I'm beating up, but I could not bring myself to actually play this guy unless he has an ultra-superior alt costume. Or maybe slap a diving helmet on this jerkoff in create-a-dude mode.

quote:

Overall this SCV is shaping pretty well I think! But it's a shame that the hand-drawn character protraits look way, waaaay better than any of the 3D models. Almost makes you wish they'd convert the Soul series into 2D.

You're right on about the art vs. character models. Putting them right next to each other just isn't flattering at all. They look very action figure-esque in a not-so-great way.

/ / /

Maou
2233th Post

"Re(4):website rebuild" , posted Fri 22 Jul 12:53:post reply

quote:
I fully agree. She looks way better than she did in 4. I will accept her once again.

Yeah, it's the right balance again, like in SC2. It turns out that the sexiest look isn't always the maximum exposure. Hooray for lace, I guess. I'd complain about the new guy, but he's not substantially more flashy than Maxi was, when you get down to it. Who this wench is replacing Taki, however, is another story.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
Bizarre hair aside, though, I guess she is already a better ninja than Taki was given that she has learned the stealth art of hiding her nipples in ways that Taki never quite mastered.

End of Spoiler

Too bad the CG art hasn't progressed. 1 is really the only time it looked nice, given the standards of the day. By 2 it was already embarrassingly inferior to the nice handdrawn art, and I see that SC5 is continuing the Soul Eyeliner tradition of 4...even though they were (and are still) trying for eyelashes!

[this message was edited by Maou on Fri 22 Jul 12:58]

kofoguz
915th Post

"ZWEI" , posted Fri 22 Jul 15:49:post reply

LOL@ Maou's spoiler.

Apart from the name "Zwei", crescent and the wolf made me think he's related to old Turk legends. Still we have Pyrhaa and Patroklos, they're from ottoman like Sophitia.

Edit: I realized that when Zwei use his sword he has two colors of effect one blue(dark) one yellow(light), endless use of duality is available on this character hence the black&white hair. I'm guessing he's also a character that we can't figure whether he is good or bad.

[this message was edited by kofoguz on Fri 22 Jul 15:56]

Mosquiton
1788th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(4):website rebuild" , posted Sat 23 Jul 03:35post reply

quote:

(Sheesh, out of all the aspects of a foreign culture I can learn about I study up on hostess clubs? What is wrong with me?)

I suggest learning how to play Mahjong.

/ / /

maese
641th Post

"Re(4):website rebuild" , posted Sat 23 Jul 23:23post reply

quote:

Is she caucasian or is she going for a hostess club sort of look? That overly teased hair could be blonde or dyed to within an inch of its life. If you put her in a cocktail dress she could easily pass for one of the girls Kazuma Kiryu would toss thousands of yen at.

You're right, by her looks I just assumed she was caucasian, but that might not be necessarily the case. A 17 Century blonde-dyed teenager kunoichi hostess? Now we are talking! Good ol' Taki has big shoes to fit, but this chick sure has potential for the task.

We'll see, we'll see...

maese
649th Post

"Re(5):website rebuild" , posted Thu 1 Sep 02:10post reply

Bump for brand new (?) screenshots and character portraits, both 2D and 3D. Dunno if some of them had been posted before or not, but Voldo's crotch is sure a sight to behold anyway.

Ishmael
4203th Post

"Profiles" , posted Wed 7 Sep 21:57post reply

Quick character profiles featuring plenty of improbable height and weight listings has been released. Hilde has two kids now?

Maese
662th Post

"update" , posted Tue 22 Nov 23:43post reply

A lot of new characters and stuff has arised on the last few weeks, for example the flamboyant second outfit that the designer of Bayonetta has tailored for Ivy, but what bugs me most is... why didn't I know that Yoshimitsu is voiced by Norio Wakamoto????

Ishmael
4260th Post

"Re(1):update" , posted Thu 24 Nov 04:19post reply

I haven't decided what I think about Ivy's new suit but I do think this is one time where Namco's guest costume design really suits the character. I can imagine Ivy pulling that fur trimmed gold jumpsuit out of her closet and saying "Yes, this is what I want to wear today."

quote:
why didn't I know that Yoshimitsu is voiced by Norio Wakamoto????

It seems that SCIV used a Jedi mind trick to make you forget about the positive parts of that game.

nobinobita
1012th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(2):update" , posted Thu 24 Nov 04:23post reply

quote:
I haven't decided what I think about Ivy's new suit but I do think this is one time where Namco's guest costume design really suits the character. I can imagine Ivy pulling that fur trimmed gold jumpsuit out of her closet and saying "Yes, this is what I want to wear today."

why didn't I know that Yoshimitsu is voiced by Norio Wakamoto????
It seems that SCIV used a Jedi mind trick to make you forget about the positive parts of that game.

This is the first time I've been excited by a new Soul Calibur since Soul Calibur 2! Something about the way the characters look is much more appealing now. I think it's cos their designs are more iconic and legible again.

Now if only they'd make some stages with some natural lighting instead of that silly Neopolitan Ice Cream colored light bloom that's been all the rage this last decade.

www.art-eater.com