Best fighting game announcers? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (6723 Views )

sfried
655th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Best fighting game announcers?" , posted Mon 11 Apr 09:47post reply

I'm trying to think of the best fighting game announcers out there. Off the top of my head is Soul Cal and GGXX, and CvS2 seems to take the cake for the most memorable commentary ("You can feel the calm before the storm as the round begins"), but I always thought SFAlpha3's more swanky persona had the right amount of cheese to it to earn it some nods. And although 3rd Strike's impartial voice was unique, I thought it was just too...impartial.

(I also think FF3's English announcer was great, despite people thinking the Japanese announcer is better, it had the right ammount of melodramatic intensity to really catch your attention.)

Replies:

sibarraz
47th Post

PSN: n/a
XBL: sibarraz4life
Wii: n/a

Rare Customer

"Re(1):Best fighting game announcers?" , posted Mon 11 Apr 10:25post reply

I think that the most that I enjoy are the girl announcing in kof XI-XII, and the voice of garou mark of the wolves

I normally hate commentaries mid match, I just want to see them say READY, GO and YOU WIN or KO

But I loved some of the winquotes in cvs2

''Some may say that it was luck that let this team win...That doesn't matter to me, because the bottom line is that team WON! It just goes to show that luck works in many mysterious ways''

''Hey, who allowed them to join this tournament? They're way too strong to compete; I mean, what's up with that? Someone is going to have to take that team down!''

We need more of THIS commentary

bootation
598th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Best fighting game announcers?" , posted Mon 11 Apr 11:08post reply

quote:
I think that the most that I enjoy are the girl announcing in kof XI-XII, and the voice of garou mark of the wolves

I normally hate commentaries mid match, I just want to see them say READY, GO and YOU WIN or KO

But I loved some of the winquotes in cvs2

''Some may say that it was luck that let this team win...That doesn't matter to me, because the bottom line is that team WON! It just goes to show that luck works in many mysterious ways''

''Hey, who allowed them to join this tournament? They're way too strong to compete; I mean, what's up with that? Someone is going to have to take that team down!''

We need more of THIS commentary

What a great topic. I feel compelled to say alpha 3 but i wanted to strangle that bastard after awhile...."Get ready fighters! Triumph OR Die!"

Kof 98 is memorable girl announcer, sounds kinda like Athena? Street fighter 2 i think it's announcer did some of the character voices as well.

Third strike was maybe my favorite announcer plus the arcade intro got me totally pumped.
"Fight for the future! So what's it gonna be? Your trapped in a new world of street fighter 3!"

Colonize Space Now!

Toxico
5301th Post

PSN: Toxic-Baron
XBL: n/a

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(3):Best fighting game announcers?" , posted Mon 11 Apr 12:27:post reply

Shin Samurai Spirits / Samurai Shodown 2. The announcer was so loud it sounded strong, it fits along perfectly with the sound effects, BGMs and Masaki Usui's or Kong Kuwata's super cheezy voice acting, it was just amazing.

SHOUBU ARI! NAINHALTO SIEGA! OMIGOTO!

Nothing like walking into the arcade and hearing first thing the SS2 machine at full volume.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Update 23 as of 25/10/10 (Temporary mega upload link).

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 22 as of 10/01/11

[this message was edited by Toxico on Mon 11 Apr 12:30]

Maou
2180th Post

"You can't give it up!" , posted Mon 11 Apr 12:43post reply

As everyone knows here, nothing better than the Zero 3 announcer, especially after someone at the Cafe found his resume and that he was like a classical singer or something with a nice manner and bowtie. Aiiiiiiiiiin't there somebody who can stop this fighting machine??

The guy in Super SF IV bores me to tears, the loss of vanilla's "violence is a beauuuuuuuuuutiful thing" is crucial!!

Remembering back when we were freaking out over our wonderful new Dreamcast, my pals and I find that "the soul still burns!" for the Soul Calibur 1 announcer.

Let's not forget the delightfully low heythereheythere voice of Tekken 3. Jin KaZAma...wins. Tekken force: chicken!

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Digitalboy
738th Post

XBL: JestingGenie99(automatednamecreatedbyXBL)

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(3):Best fighting game announcers?" , posted Mon 11 Apr 19:22post reply

WEEEIIINEEERRR!!!
quote:
...Kof 98...

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

sibarraz
48th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(4):Best fighting game announcers?" , posted Mon 11 Apr 19:58post reply

quote:
WEEEIIINEEERRR!!!
...Kof 98...

weeeeineeeeerrr it's epic too, I will love it more if the announcer said the names of the fighters at the beginning or ''robah wins!''

Nekros
346th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(5):Best fighting game announcers?" , posted Mon 11 Apr 23:32:post reply

The custom voices from Eretzvaju.
Seriously, that chick with red hair was awesome: "Getto Setto: GOOOOO!!!"

Also, that creepy announcer in Vampire, Hunter and Savior... never get what he's really saying before "fight" (allready? ellenium?)

[this message was edited by Nekros on Mon 11 Apr 23:34]

Ishmael
4065th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b

"Re(4):Best fighting game announcers?" , posted Mon 11 Apr 23:42post reply

My personal favorite is probably the announcer from Third Strike. The voice had a serious intensity to it that, for me, really fit a fighting game. It wasn't a spazzed out voice trying to make every second of a short arcade game as intense as possible. Instead, it was the voice of practice and focus, a voice of tier lists, frame data, and tournaments. It's not the voice of a short diversion but of a game that is to be played and studied for a long time. The Third Strike voice is the voice of what fighting games have become.

quote:
Shin Samurai Spirits / Samurai Shodown 2. The announcer was so loud it sounded strong, it fits along perfectly with the sound effects, BGMs and Masaki Usui's or Kong Kuwata's super cheezy voice acting, it was just amazing.

More games should have referee systems as part of the background eye candy. Still, while I loved the Kuroko judges in SS they had a pretty easy job. Most of the time it was easy to tell who the winner in a SS game was because they were the player who wasn't dead.

Other random thoughts:

KoF has had some unique announcers over the years. While hearing things like "The winner is... Meester Beeg!" is memorable it probably wasn't memorable in the way the programmers intended.

RBS features the only announcer that I've ever wanted to punch in the face.

I don't know if it counts as announcing per se, but I always like the atmospheric voices in Vampire Savior. Hearing demonic cackling after a particularly good move fit the mood a lot more than having some off-screen guy scream "Counter hit!" or whatever. Having the game boo you if you won the match by being a cheeseball was also a nice touch.

Spoon
2145th Post

"Re(5):Best fighting game announcers?" , posted Tue 12 Apr 08:08post reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HukO27yQ8oc
Until I heard these in isolation, it never occurred to me just how much higher pitched the announcer's voice is when she says the FINISH part of "<thing> FINISH!!!!". In fact, it sounds like it was artifically compressed now that I don't have the rest of the game audio running over it. I wonder if they did any sound frequency tests to figure out which pitch it needed to be in order to be clearly audible over whatever else is going on.

I also didn't know that she has two pronunciations for "Chun-Li"!

I also don't think I knew just what she was saying when she says "LET'S GO CRAZY" until recently. Actually, I'm still not sure if that's what she's actually saying.

Still, one of my favourite voice clips from the entire series of Marvel games made by Capcom is from MSH (and reused in MvC):
"INFINITY!!!"

Grave
1365th Post

PSN: Drakee
XBL: Mikelson

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(6):Best fighting game announcers?" , posted Tue 12 Apr 08:13post reply

quote:
I also don't think I knew just what she was saying when she says "LET'S GO CRAZY" until recently. Actually, I'm still not sure if that's what she's actually saying.

Still, one of my favourite voice clips from the entire series of Marvel games made by Capcom is from MSH (and reused in MvC):
"INFINITY!!!"

When we got the import DC version the summer before the system landed in the US we were shocked to actually be able to hear the announcer clearly. We had no clue what "Let's go crazy!" could have plausibly been before but we kept hearing "Disco payday!" etc. at the arcade.

The MSH announcer is fantastic and I think about the gem sound effects a lot when playing fighting games for some reason! I haven't played that game in a loooong time... I ought to pick it up again.

Phoenix
935th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(7):Best fighting game announcers?" , posted Tue 12 Apr 08:31post reply

I vote Real Bout 2's announcer: Get in the ring!

Gojira
2731th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
Wii: 80085

"Re(1):You can't give it up!" , posted Tue 12 Apr 09:22:post reply

quote:
As everyone knows here, nothing better than the Zero 3 announcer, especially after someone at the Cafe found his resume and that he was like a classical singer or something with a nice manner and bowtie. Aiiiiiiiiiin't there somebody who can stop this fighting machine??

Ahh, that guy. How can I forget his voice, I opened up my DC version of Tech Romancer expecting to hear:
this guy

And instead got:
this guy

[this message was edited by Gojira on Tue 12 Apr 09:23]

Professor
3003th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):You can't give it up!" , posted Tue 12 Apr 10:05post reply

I agree with Maou, the Zero 3 announcer just doesn't fade away from your head once you've heard him.

Super Street Fighter's announcer was horrible too. Back in those days they really didn't care about voice acting, and hearing him double on Guile's voice was quite weird.

Fatal Fury 2, back in its years, took me by surprise. The developers actually took two different recordings for the announcer's character name callouts. So when the announcer says something like "Terry versus Terry", it sounds slightly different between the two.

Spoon
2146th Post

"Re(3):You can't give it up!" , posted Tue 12 Apr 11:15post reply

quote:
I agree with Maou, the Zero 3 announcer just doesn't fade away from your head once you've heard him.

Super Street Fighter's announcer was horrible too. Back in those days they really didn't care about voice acting, and hearing him double on Guile's voice was quite weird.

Fatal Fury 2, back in its years, took me by surprise. The developers actually took two different recordings for the announcer's character name callouts. So when the announcer says something like "Terry versus Terry", it sounds slightly different between the two.

Hearing the SSF2 announcer do the call for Rog's TAPs was also jarring, though nasal Guile will live forever in infamy.

I always wondered just how many voice actors there were in SF2WW. A lot of the grunts could've been done by the same guy.

Toxico
5301th Post

PSN: Toxic-Baron

"Re(4):You can't give it up!" , posted Tue 12 Apr 11:24post reply

quote:

I always wondered just how many voice actors there were in SF2WW. A lot of the grunts could've been done by the same guy.

For what I remember everyone had the same voice (even the announcer), minus Chun li. The only one that sounded different was Sagat because they added a weird extra effect to his voice and it was weird.

It was easy to check that thanks to the dead scream (UUUUUAAAAAAAA).

Thinking back, maybe even Chun li has that male voice, but it was electronically modified as to sound less..... like a man's voice.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Update 23 as of 25/10/10 (Temporary mega upload link).

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 22 as of 10/01/11

Spoon
2147th Post

"Re(5):You can't give it up!" , posted Wed 13 Apr 03:09post reply

quote:

For what I remember everyone had the same voice (even the announcer), minus Chun li. The only one that sounded different was Sagat because they added a weird extra effect to his voice and it was weird.

That was my thinking, as well. But it's strange that it doesn't feel weird at all! In fact, I still think that the SF2WW voices are some of the best in all of SF!

OOOOOOOO-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

simonbelmont
147th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Best fighting game announcers?" , posted Wed 13 Apr 05:54post reply

quote:

RBS features the only announcer that I've ever wanted to punch in the face.

I actually like this guy. I think he's related to the announcer from Zero/Alpha 3. Possibly brothers or cousins? Similar attitude and everything.

Burning Ranger
1699th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Best fighting game announcers?" , posted Wed 13 Apr 07:03post reply

Interesting topic. My thoughts:

1) I prefer the original SFIV announcer to the SSFIV announcer. Then again, I kinda wish the original SFIV main theme was somewhere in SSFIV (at least the original select screen BGM).
2) For me, when I think 'fighting announcer,' I think CvS2. I especially like the post fight commentary (Favorite: "...Some may say that it was luck that helped this team to advance....").
3) Also, VF5's play-by-play announcers was also a great touch that worked in that game.

So much to do so little time...

nobinobita
900th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(2):Best fighting game announcers?" , posted Wed 13 Apr 08:37post reply

quote:

3) Also, VF5's play-by-play announcers was also a great touch that worked in that game.

I hope that SF vs Tekken has 3 hours of commentary from John Madden on every possible matchup in the game.

www.art-eater.com

sibarraz
49th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(2):Best fighting game announcers?" , posted Wed 13 Apr 08:57post reply

quote:
Interesting topic. My thoughts:

This

The game felt like a real tournament with that, and the english voices were as cool as the japanese ones IMO

Digitalboy
739th Post

XBL: JestingGenie99(automatednamecreatedbyXBL)

"Re(3):Best fighting game announcers?" , posted Wed 13 Apr 11:32post reply

BOOM!!! Tough acting Tinactin!!!
quote:
...SF vs Tekken...John Madden...

If only if he announces like his commercials.

J. Madden: BOOM!!! Rie-yoo delivers an "AH-RU-KEN" to Kaz-zoo-yah's face!
Kaz-zoo-yah returns with a Quick Tsunami Kick. You can not deliver that kind of kick unless you use Tinactin. BOOM!!!

But Electronic Arts has him under contract or something...

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

Evenor
750th Post

PSN: missantroop

"Re(4):Best fighting game announcers?" , posted Thu 14 Apr 08:58post reply

CvS2!!

drink from me and live forever

Gieflos
50th Post

PSN: pooplos-z
XBL: PooplosZ

Occasional Customer

"Re(5):Best fighting game announcers?" , posted Fri 15 Apr 16:21post reply

quote:
CvS2!!

So much better.

If only Capcom was more creative with their DLC we could pay for fun things like this.

Spoon
2149th Post

"Re(6):Best fighting game announcers?" , posted Sat 16 Apr 00:21post reply

quote:
CvS2!!

So much better.

If only Capcom was more creative with their DLC we could pay for fun things like this.

HSF4: Grand Audio Challenge