Kof 2001 is addictive to me. - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2931 Views )

bootation
596th Post

user profileedit/delete message

New Red Carpet Member

"Kof 2001 is addictive to me." , posted Thu 7 Apr 10:39post reply

I have thought this game was underrated for years. Does anyone else feel like that? I could never figure out Lin's 3x hadouken thing tho in it. Also Shingo is out of hand in it. I recently got a copy for my ps2 hard drive made by tgbus.com. Did anyone play UM 98?

Colonize Space Now!

Replies:

Iggy
9245th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Kof 2001 is addictive to me." , posted Thu 7 Apr 21:57post reply

For me, 2001 is a fun game to play alone and try to figure out combos with 3 strikers in training mode. Which is still more than you can say of, say, 99 or 2003...

chazumaru
774th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):Kof 2001 is addictive to me." , posted Thu 7 Apr 22:06post reply

It's butt-ugly, but it has the most lovable female team in he series, no-charge Heidern is hilarious to play, Shorthair Athena is cute and I took the K9999 joke better than most people, apparently.

Still, it was a terrible disappointment after the wonderful KOF2000 and unlike most "experimental" episodes (94 / 97 / 99 / 2003), 2001 never got another chance with a revised edition one year later. Which is why I still don't understand the ressemblance between 2002 and NeoWave; one of them should have been the necessary revision of KOF2001.

無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は

Loona
392th Post

PSN: IkariLoona
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Silver Customer

"Re(1):Kof 2001 is addictive to me." , posted Fri 8 Apr 02:30post reply

quote:
I have thought this game was underrated for years. Does anyone else feel like that? I could never figure out Lin's 3x hadouken thing tho in it. Also Shingo is out of hand in it. I recently got a copy for my ps2 hard drive made by tgbus.com. Did anyone play UM 98?

I'm reminded of this:

http://www.insertcredit.com/reviews/kof2001/KOF2k1.html

Too bad I never got access to the puzzle bonus game:

http://www.insertcredit.com/reviews/kof2k1dc/index.html

I'm not a big fan of the game, but May Lee was a welcome addition to the cast, even if I never got the hang of playing her.

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Digitalboy
737th Post

PSN: n/a
XBL: JestingGenie99(automatednamecreatedbyXBL)

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(2):Kof 2001 is addictive to me." , posted Fri 8 Apr 05:00post reply

I liked it, good attempt from Eolith which gave us interesting characters, May Lee & Angel and a copy righted infringement an homage to an Akira character, K9999.

Off topic:
In KOF 2002, I enjoyed playing K9999 even more, only because of his HDSM.
quote:

I'm reminded of this:

http://www.insertcredit.com/reviews/kof2001/KOF2k1.html

Too bad I never got access to the puzzle bonus game:

http://www.insertcredit.com/reviews/kof2k1dc/index.html

I'm not a big fan of the game, but May Lee was a welcome addition to the cast, even if I never got the hang of playing her.

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

Toxico
5296th Post

PSN: Toxic-Baron
XBL: n/a

"Re(2):Kof 2001 is addictive to me." , posted Fri 8 Apr 05:53post reply

quote:
It's butt-ugly, but it has the most lovable female team in he series, no-charge Heidern is hilarious to play, Shorthair Athena is cute and I took the K9999 joke better than most people, apparently.

I remember that the oh-so incredible damage rates to which the game is subjected make anything but impossible playing the game that bit seriously. Having 80% of your life gone for eating a punch -> DM amoeba level combo wasn't there to make the playable experience something better. I remember many Uppercuts draining off 1/4 of the character energy. Due to that little detail, I remember that most of us played the game in single player and by rounds, that way you'll had the Maximum possible level of defense and you'll have more than a single try when going at it.... But not playing as a team "by default" was just boring.

2001 helds the unusual privilege of being the only game (along with 2000) that works in my ps2 when the console actually breaks down. For some reason absolutely nothing would load properly but these two games, and as such I remember long periods of my console being "down" for months and the only thing that I and those leeches that wanted to play ps2 could play was 2001 and 2000. Fine times indeed.
If you are wondering, my ps2 is an almost 10 year old fatty that works properly, yet you need to clean & calibrate the lens every few years for the console to be on top form. Without that you'll be stuck in the 00/01 universe.

For the sake of the thread, here are some VS action for this game.

Korean fights (1)

Korean fights (2)

Japanese tournament kinda low level but 777 was paying. Uploaded by our most beloved Hikkikomori Gunsmith-tan (who has a bunch of random things in his channel, like a high level 2k3 korean(?) tournament).

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Update 23 as of 25/10/10 (Temporary mega upload link).

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 22 as of 10/01/11

sibarraz
46th Post

XBL: sibarraz4life

Rare Customer

"Re(3):Kof 2001 is addictive to me." , posted Fri 8 Apr 07:22:post reply

777 makes all the KOF look awesome

the game per se isn't bad, but you had way better options strictly with kof

quote:

Still, it was a terrible disappointment after the wonderful KOF2000 and unlike most "experimental" episodes (94 / 97 / 99 / 2003), 2001 never got another chance with a revised edition one year later. Which is why I still don't understand the ressemblance between 2002 and NeoWave; one of them should have been the necessary revision of KOF2001.

I don't know, for me 2001 is no way an ''experimental kof'' at least I always saw 2001 as the culmination of the ''strikers saga'' where they took elements that worked in the previous ones, tried some news, but just didn't worked, with 97 is the same for me, I saw this game more as a revision of 96 than a beginning of a new experiment. At last I think that there is more difference between 95 and 96 than 96 and 97, with 98 as the culmination

I always wanted to discuss this, could be a very interesting topic

[this message was edited by sibarraz on Fri 8 Apr 07:33]

bootation
597th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):Kof 2001 is addictive to me." , posted Sun 10 Apr 11:22post reply

quote:
777 makes all the KOF look awesome

the game per se isn't bad, but you had way better options strictly with kof

I don't know, for me 2001 is no way an ''experimental kof'' at least I always saw 2001 as the culmination of the ''strikers saga'' where they took elements that worked in the previous ones, tried some news, but just didn't worked, with 97 is the same for me, I saw this game more as a revision of 96 than a beginning of a new experiment. At last I think that there is more difference between 95 and 96 than 96 and 97, with 98 as the culmination

I always wanted to discuss this, could be a very interesting topic

Ya i think 96 is more experimental but snk's middle name is "experimental". The controls are pretty tight in 2k1 I usually only play it one player though. They definately played around with new concepts but overall i think 2000 is stylistically better but 2k1 is alot of fun. I think it has better backgrounds than 2k2.

Colonize Space Now!

Just a Person
1467th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(5):Kof 2001 is addictive to me." , posted Mon 11 Apr 05:58post reply

I thought it was very interesting to choose whether you'd play with 4 fighters, 3 fighters and 1 striker, 2 fighters and 2 strikers or 1 fighter and 3 strikers, that seemed to give the game more diversity and strategy.

Unfortunately, yeah, it didn't look good, nor it played well. The console version was a good improvement over the arcade one, however.

Poor K9999 was the first KoF character to be retconned out of existence, right? I wonder, if SNKP's situation wasn't so bad, if one day they'd re-release KoF 2001 with Nameless replacing Tetsuo K9999 in the storyline (and with better looks and gameplay, of course)... Sure, it doesn't seem profitable, but it wouldn't be the first time when SNKP would make a decision like that...

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

sibarraz
46th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(6):Kof 2001 is addictive to me." , posted Mon 11 Apr 10:13post reply

Just for the new artworks the console version were a big improvement from the neo geo version

justicekyo
723th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):Kof 2001 is addictive to me." , posted Mon 18 Apr 08:45post reply

quote:

my only problem was the controls... they were unresponsive...

Spoon
2151th Post

"Re(2):Kof 2001 is addictive to me." , posted Mon 18 Apr 09:04post reply

quote:
Which is why I still don't understand the ressemblance between 2002 and NeoWave; one of them should have been the necessary revision of KOF2001.

It may also have been the case that they just took the negative reception to 2k1 as an excuse to wash their hands of any further experimentation with the Striker system.

sibarraz
59th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):Kof 2001 is addictive to me." , posted Mon 18 Apr 12:26post reply

quote:
Which is why I still don't understand the ressemblance between 2002 and NeoWave; one of them should have been the necessary revision of KOF2001.

It may also have been the case that they just took the negative reception to 2k1 as an excuse to wash their hands of any further experimentation with the Striker system.

I had this crazy idea that NGBC 2 should be a combination of the 3 vs 3 tag system in KOF XI, with the strikers system (but only your team mates and limited, like, one for combo, and just like the stocks in 2000) with some other elements from NGBC, will be like MVC, but just adjusted to SNKP, maybe not that broken