gaming indusries - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3813 Views )

oh_my
0th Post

user profileedit/delete message

New Customer

"gaming indusries" , posted Thu 7 Apr 01:28post reply

I know this is not a place for this kind of theme but i wonder if someone in this board knows about it or have expirience.

what?

Replies:

Digitalboy
735th Post

PSN: n/a
XBL: JestingGenie99(automatednamecreatedbyXBL)
Wii: n/a

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):gaming indusries" , posted Thu 7 Apr 04:15post reply

Holy cow! A gir - waaait...I see what you did there.
quote:
I know this is not a place for this kind of theme but i wonder if someone in this board knows about it or have expirience.

Could you be a little more specific?
What part of the gaming industry? Programming? Designing? Marketing? Gopher?

Not that I would know anything.

It has just been a while since I have randomly posted...

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

Toxico
5294th Post

PSN: Toxic-Baron
XBL: n/a

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):gaming indusries" , posted Thu 7 Apr 09:20post reply

quote:

Could you be a little more specific?
What part of the gaming industry? Programming? Designing? Marketing? Gopher?

I was about to ask the same. My "advanced" stalking bbs users diary MkVIII points out that there are member of the boards that are involved with the videogame industry, it would seem that they are too shy to point it out?.

My diary also points out that Dr. Jaja is among us and that Ishmael has already succumbed to the Yakuza 3 temptation I'm right behind you

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Update 23 as of 25/10/10 (Temporary mega upload link).

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 22 as of 10/01/11

Oh my
13th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):gaming indusries" , posted Thu 7 Apr 10:35:post reply

in any part, i only need to know how to enter in the easiest way to be considerate in the creative site to bring concepts and ideas. As i know about industries in general ounce you enter in one department and get to know the area, the work, the equipment and programs, in this case software and programs provided by the company you are working, you can work in any part they need you depending in your expertise. You need studies but the must important thing is that get the simpathy of the "leaders" and the loyalty of the crew. Is just a work you have to do siting using the computer and the only stress you have is to do your work on time.

come on, i am not new i have come to this site since i started college hehehe. I used to draw here using the name of Lady_Yunaleska and, you know, as i grow up i feel stupid using that nick.

I dont know if is just because i am getting older but the vid games now are not so memorable as the old ones. The graphics are wonderful but none of them shocked like ff7. Now the leaders on vid games are US but you know there something missing something to hipnotize the gamers something new. God of war, game that i have not played at all, but i know it have a good gameplay and wonderful graphics but the concept is like the class of humanities NOTHING NEW.

My dream as always been make video games but i got stucked when i started college. I wanted to study computer engineer but the uni was far and when i started taking precalculus and calculus its was so stessful i gave up. I got curious with microbiology because they told me i could get a job easy. Now i have the title since 2009 and i am unemployed because the jobs post in the farmaceutical industries in where i live is saturaded and all the posting are already taken "under tha table". In this summer iam going to have 3 years doing nothing without any expirience in something except one year of research in my field that for the industrial view it doesnt count. I know people who doesnt have a bachelor degree in micro and work in that area, is all a crap.

Now iam looking for options in things i am good at, i like to be creative and impartial. Draw is something i like but i didnt focus in my skills, i just draw having projects in minds and i cant make this types of things on my own is almost imposible. This is the type of things i like to do in my free time I will love to get money by it. i am also interest in cartoons but i think this is harder to be considered, first you have to be independent and give your work to the networks bla, bla, bla i am getting old to start like that. What do you guys think?

Dont feel sorry if i sound desperate. I know i am not the only one passing tru this situation.

what?

[this message was edited by Oh my on Fri 20 May 00:34]

Professor
2996th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):gaming indusries" , posted Thu 7 Apr 19:17:post reply

Well, I'd think it depend on what department of creation you want to enter. If you don't have a background in the videogame industry, you should still be able to enter if you have a good portfolio that matches well with development. Otherwise you'll probably have a better chance entering as a part-timer and to try and get a full-status position from there. A number of my friends started working that way, some from internship.

Either way, it's not realistic to think that an employee that's just joined in can start throwing in ideas for a game. There's a reason why the indies field is unique and abundant.

[this message was edited by Professor on Thu 7 Apr 19:37]

chazumaru
775th Post

"Re(3):gaming indusries" , posted Thu 7 Apr 22:12post reply

quote:
in any part, i only need to know how to enter in the easiest way to be considerate in the creative site to bring concepts and ideas.

1-In which country do you live?
2-Which job/field of expertise are you looking into?
3-I will also need your credit card details.

無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は

Digitalboy
736th Post

"Re(4):gaming indusries" , posted Fri 8 Apr 04:42post reply

1 - U. S. A., Hawaii
2 - Gophering, you know, being an assistant to the manager.
3 - Visa, 8305 - waaait...I see what you did there.
quote:
1-In which country do you live?
2-Which job/field of expertise are you looking into?
3-I will also need your credit card details.

I don't know how to live

Spoon
2142th Post

"Re(5):gaming indusries" , posted Fri 8 Apr 08:57post reply

So on one hand your name was quite unfamiliar and the question was kind of odd for what usually gets posted here (we're talking about games all the time, and Brandon is editor for Game Developer magazine....). I think most of us would've thought you were a newcomer, not that that's some kind of offense.

Anyway.

Making games is fairly/quite/really stressful. It doesn't matter whether you are working out of your home or at some big outfit. It will involve long hours, your faith in yourself and in the project will frequently be tested, your plans will necessarily change frequently, your project's scope will constantly shrink.... in short, it's like any other job in any other creative industry. It may be fun from time to time, it's very gratifying to have something done at the end, but there's also a lot of hard/painful/tedious work.

If there is something that you can do well, you need to be able to take it from "something you can do" to a discipline. A professional writer doesn't only write when it strikes his fancy; he can write on demand, organize his work so that it can be presented to others, criticize and cut and improve it, and meet deadlines. If you believe you have great ideas, then you have to be able to either realize those ideas in some way (things like illustrations, animations, programmed demos, scripts, etc.) or learn how to describe them in such a clear and organized way that somebody else could realize them for you (not that anybody is going to listen to you for a long time).

tl;dr
go for broke
triumph or die

TheRedKnight
302th Post

PSN: no
XBL: no
Wii: no

Bronze Customer

"Re(6):gaming indusries" , posted Fri 8 Apr 15:05post reply

Here's my pro-tip:

Create your OWN Console!!! Then YOU will be able to develope games for it!!!

You're welcome.

THE LEGEND OF THE STRONGEST FIGHTING LORD OF ALL TIME!

Nobinobita
895th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(3):gaming indusries" , posted Sat 9 Apr 04:40post reply

quote:
in any part, i only need to know how to enter in the easiest way to be considerate in the creative site to bring concepts and ideas.

Tell me what job you specifically want to go after and I can provide give you a road map. Other than that, I'll share this anecdote with you.

I have a friend who majored in Psychology, but realized he just really wanted to work in video games. He used to be a competitive gamer (he once killed a guy over times in one round of Quake!)so his entry point was to be a game tester.

Alot of people figure they'll become a game tester and work their way up. This is very possible, but in addition to having awesome gaming skills and an analytical mind, you also have to have great people skills.

My friend got a job testing games at EA. He was awesome at it. He was also very personable and got to know more of the team through extracurriculars like basketball. It was through basketball that he got to know the higher ups and quickly got promoted. Within a few years he was the producer on some of EAs top Wii and PSP titles.

So the lesson is: practice basketball every day!

I kid, the actual lesson is, no matter what your industry is, if you want to be fast tracked to a position where you can make creative decisions, you have to know how to relate to people. You have to understand the target audience of your product and you have to understand the people you work with. I don't mean brown nose, you just gotta be able to connect in a meaningful way.

I noticed from your last comment that you bear some ill will towards the current generation of games. You absolutely cannot have this attitude if you want to work for an American game company. I'm not that enthusiastic about most of big blockbuster titles myself, but I've learned to respect them as very well crafted products that make a lot of people happy. Am I their target audience? No. Do I resent that? Nope!

If you really really want to work in games and enjoy your life, you need to be driven by love and not hate. I know too many artists and programmers that will gleefully tell you about how much they hate their boss and how the industry is a soul sucking profit driven (duh) machine and nothing like a fan would expect.

My experience has thankfully been very different. If you love what you do and respect your coworkers, making videogames really is a dream come true.

www.art-eater.com

Toxico
5297th Post

"Re(4):gaming indusries" , posted Sat 9 Apr 05:03post reply

quote:

You betcha! (the original is here for those who don't know about it).

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Nobinobita
897th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(5):gaming indusries" , posted Sat 9 Apr 05:55post reply

quote:

Ahahahaha! That was SO GOOD!

www.art-eater.com

exodus
4237th Post

"Re(6):gaming indusries" , posted Sat 9 Apr 06:35post reply

my advice is to start making video games. there's really not much more to it.

Ishmael
4064th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b

"Re(5):gaming indusries" , posted Sat 9 Apr 12:33post reply

Nobinobita is quite right; finding some sort of satisfaction in your work and being amicable with your co-workers can make all the difference in a job. That sounds like simple, obvious advice but I'm amazed at how many people haven't figured that one out.

quote:

You always have the perfect link for any occasion, you little stalker you!

Gojira
2729th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
Wii: 80085

"Re(6):gaming indusries" , posted Sat 9 Apr 20:25post reply

I wasn't going to say anything because my path to working in this industry was so wrought with struggle that I didn't know how I could possibly tell anyone to take the same route. But even bad experience is still experience, so there is one piece of advice I can give. It's a point I probably made here before, but it bears repeating: it's about connections.

In my years of employment, I've used the proper self-sufficient methods - getting experience, relevant eduction, good contacts, and I've even had to work my way up from the entry level at times. But by far the best jobs I've had that went the furthest were acquired by knowing the right people, and you'll find that's a pretty common thing.

So while the story of Nobi's friend can happen, the bottom line is slightly different. It's always good to get along well in your workplace, but realistically you're not always going to get that chance to play basketball. You may even find you can't hit it off with the important ones. However, there are other ways to make friends in the business, and not all of them require you to be working... go to cons, rub some elbows, attend panels, join a development community, team up with someone whose talent you respect to develop something fun. It all helps. (Of course, it helps more if you have a natural inclination to do this in the first place.)

That's my advice.

chazumaru
779th Post

"Re(5):gaming indusries" , posted Sat 9 Apr 22:57post reply

quote:

This is the most amazing video I've seen in years.

無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は

Zepy
1563th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(6):gaming indusries" , posted Sun 10 Apr 01:42post reply

Advice:

if you have a great game on the xbox360 and it doesn't sell in Asia, it's because Microsoft is really bad at games distribution. I hate them.

Toxico
5299th Post

"Re(6):gaming indusries" , posted Sun 10 Apr 08:01post reply

quote:

You always have the perfect link for any occasion, you little stalker you!

Oh, really?

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Oh my
2th Post

New Customer

"Re(7):gaming indusries" , posted Tue 12 Apr 02:43post reply

Sorry i may sound like a moron,the part of the industry i want to work is the one where the vid games are created and developed not the ones who makes copy in mass production there is a microsoft cd factory in where i live, window 7 and halo where "made there".

Nobinobita,looks like you right but no offense what you say remind me the movie of grandmasboy (hehehe). Oh, and you sound like brainwashed by the industries or you are being monitored because i am not hateful i like comedy and comedy is cruel and realistic. I am not against of this gen of games but, i dont know if you guys already disscus it, these "new" games are like is being frachise by the military and in the final page of its instrution you will get a recluit paper to join the army.i am not coplaining about the lame job, hello, i am going to be 3 years doing nothing and i am not getting money but Basketball? you are talking about those crappy sports vid games, right, because if your not, for god sake, i am a girl worse i am small and weak. If i get invited by such activity is because they will want to take advantage of me and make fun and pass it tru youtube.

This question posted here is not odd, is typical for a dreamer. I always where aware that the road of a dreamer is not easy and i like to play safe so i always wanted to hear the opppinion of the plp who have been there than just go play luck and go to the SCEA site to get ideas.

oh for god sake, TheRedKnight is right, looks like i have to do my own console.
Lets see what i have: an old DVD player, a graphic processor for play vid games from an old pc, some e-ants to do the work of making all the circuit connection from the cd player to the processor and program the dvd controller.
Then my great games ideas: caterpillar crap, juming monkey from out of space and the block buster karate-kung-fu-cheerleader-samurai-ninja matrix from out of space a game with the battle skills of those warriors with the special effects of matrix and the theme of the year, aliens, is gonna blow your mind and for the male amussment ninja prostitude from outter space a story about a woman who have a dream to become a vid game maker and got tired of how unfair her life is so she has no choice to get what she want by using the must obvious ancient ability nature gave to woman to get power. DONT COPY MY IDEAS OR I WILL SUE YOU (this is a joke, enjoy it)

what?

Spoon
2144th Post

"Re(8):gaming indusries" , posted Tue 12 Apr 04:51post reply

quote:

-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

Here's something that will go a long way towards getting constructive replies from other people: when you are asking a question seriously, write with correct grammar/punctuation/capitalization and spelling, avoiding excessive slang except for example purposes.

Nobi's point about appreciating things that are done well by games you don't personally like is important, and underscores a more general notion of being both open and critical. You can't shut your eyes to everything that doesn't immediately catch your fancy. Well, you can, but you'd be much worse off for it. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean that you can't learn from it. By the same token, you must be willing to be critical with yourself and the things that you actually do like. Figure out exactly why you like something, or why it appeals to you. If you have some fantastic idea that you want to build a game around, think critically about just how that would work from every perspective you can. If you don't, you won't be able to make it... or whoever you will get to make it is going to have to make it based on a lot of guesswork.

There are lots of sites out there that can teach you the basics about how to make stuff, and there are more accessible tools than ever before to make games with, and with the internet you can have a game released to the public for no money at all. If you really want to make a game, there are no barriers to it.

The alternative is to have a steady income stream and hire a bunch of people to make a game for you out of your garage. That's what a certain pair of doctors did about 16 years ago, and it's worked out pretty well for them.

Oh my
3th Post

New Customer

"Re(9):gaming indusries" , posted Tue 12 Apr 05:24post reply

quote:

Here's something that will go a long way towards getting constructive replies from other people: when you are asking a question seriously, write with correct grammar/punctuation/capitalization and spelling, avoiding excessive slang except for example purposes.

Nobi's point about appreciating things that are done well by games you don't personally like is important, and underscores a more general notion of being both open and critical. You can't shut your eyes to everything that doesn't immediately catch your fancy. Well, you can, but you'd be much worse off for it.

There are lots of sites out there that can teach you the basics about how to make stuff, and there are more accessible tools than ever before to make games with, and with the internet you can have a game released to the public for no money at all. If you r

You are right about the grammar thing but, for god sake, you sound kind of serious like a parent. You are cute trying to be nice
sorry, if whatever i wrote seems bad.

i know i can make games using those general stuff but is not what i want and i want MONEY. That stuff are good for teens but iam not.

what?

Tai-Pan
498th Post

XBL: Kusanagi82

Gold Customer

"Re(10):gaming indusries" , posted Thu 14 Apr 04:05post reply

quote:

i know i can make games using those general stuff but is not what i want and i want MONEY. That stuff are good for teens but iam not.

Oh My..

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Toxico
5304th Post

"Re(10):gaming indusries" , posted Thu 14 Apr 13:05post reply

quote:

i want MONEY.

Then you are wasting your time. Video games is one of those industries where the cash goes mainly to copyright holders. Developers, programmers, workers and others only see a "kinda regular" amount of moneys regardless of producing and dealing with games that deal with millionaire budgets (this is, regular to their qualifications and work hours). Kinda the same happens with Anime (as far as I know)

Just switch to sports. From all of the ridiculous overpayed fields that people have access to major sports are the ones with the best accessibility, specially compared to acting, politics, real state dealing and mass diffusion media (singing, shows, etc). Of course "best accessibility" is an overstatement.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Moo
21th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):gaming indusries" , posted Thu 14 Apr 23:43:post reply

Hey, Lady Yunaleska. I remember seeing your drawings on the BBS and liking your style. I'm really sorry to hear that you ended up being led in a bad career direction. Keep on drawing!

I recently graduated from a game development college, so I think I can provide some useful information. I studied animation, but I'm more of a generalist, so I like to think I have a somewhat decent idea about game development in general. I haven't gotten a job yet though, because I haven't decided what I want to do (I jump from one thing to another a lot).

Toxico is right. You don't really get paid much in the game industry. The people on top take most of the money, and game development is very costly because it requires knowledge in so many fields. Even in my college, there were a lot of people who dreamed of getting into game development but almost all of them had to drop out because it was that brutal. If a game dev studio produces even one failure, it's usually the end for them. That's why everyone just makes sequels or uses known franchises, because they guarantee sales even if the game itself is garbage.

Game development covers a lot of fields, and each one requires a lot of study, so you need to decide exactly what you want to do. You can't really just walk in and then do what's needed, they look for people with specific skills and talents. From your drawings, I'm assuming that you'd like to be an artist. Even in that, there are a lot of different kinds of artists, and a single person is usually only capable of fulfilling one or two of those types. Do you want to do 2d or 3d art? Texture artist or concept artist? 3d model rigging or animation? Or perhaps something else like writer, designer or programmer? You'll need to tell us, so that we can give you more specific information, because each job is different. We also need to know where you live, because the job openings vary greatly depending on where you're at. Where I studied, there were a LOT of animators, but very few designers and programmers, so there were a lot more job openings for the latter. Whatever you choose, you need to really dedicate yourself to it and not force yourself if you don't enjoy it.

The easiest way to get a job in the gaming industry, and this applies everywhere, is to have contacts. Lecturers at my college told us that game development is a closely-knit community and you will meet the same people over and over. Most of them got their jobs from knowing the right people. I've heard many times that you don't really need qualifications to get a job in the gaming industry. What they want to see is passion, teamwork and your folio. Anything like modifying commercial games or making your own game seems to impress employers the most. It's not just for teens - they basically want to see evidence that you really want to get into the industry, and that you're good at it.

If you can't do things by yourself, try getting into group projects for modding games. That way, you'll gain experience and have something to show for it, but it will take time and you probably won't earn any money doing it. But it could also be your ticket to fame. There are some examples of modders becoming famous enough that they were offered jobs (eg. Left 4 Dead's dev team, the guy who made World of Starcraft, etc). However, be warned that most modding projects seem to fall apart nowadays because it's gotten that much more difficult to keep up with game development technology and everybody's busy with their day jobs and lives, so they have no time.

If you do get into game development, you have to do it for the love of it. Right now, everyone seems to be trying to appeal to the social gaming market because it's BIG and it's the easiest way to make lots of money, but you seem to share the same view I do that modern games are rubbish, so I don't think you could stand to do that. Do look into it though, as you may still find something you want to do there. I also want to bring back the greatness of classic games, but it's probably not going to happen because of the modern gaming market and the cost of development.

In case you wanted to know, here's my understanding of how games get made, I'm not sure if it's correct though: a studio or group of people develop a game, usually with funding from their own pockets, investors or a publisher. Everything they do has to make the financers happy. They usually start out by pitching the idea with a game design document, then once the project is green lighted, they set up a tight schedule that the whole team has to follow. Everyone does their bit, the game is prototyped and then polished up. Then the publishers handle the distribution. There are variations and more options to this, but I think that's the general idea.

Anyway, hope that helps. I've probably missed things, so if you have any questions I'd be glad to answer them. To everyone else, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any of these points. If you really want to get into game development as an artist, start out by making a DeviantArt page or something if you haven't already, and draw, draw, draw!

[this message was edited by Moo on Fri 15 Apr 03:55]

Moo
21th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):gaming indusries" , posted Thu 14 Apr 23:45:post reply

Oh, I forgot to mention that you can also get hired as a temp (is that the right term?) or on a contract. Temps get hired for a specific purpose and then leave when they're done. I've heard there are often crediting issues if you're a temp, so watch out if that kind of thing bugs you.

Edit: Sorry about the double post, just found the edit button. It's been a while.

[this message was edited by Moo on Fri 15 Apr 03:54]

Spoon
2148th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):gaming indusries" , posted Fri 15 Apr 01:38post reply

quote:

Developers, programmers, workers and others only see a "kinda regular" amount of moneys regardless of producing and dealing with games that deal with millionaire budgets (this is, regular to their qualifications and work hours). Kinda the same happens with Anime (as far as I know)

The "kinda regular" is kinda accurate.

Most programmers at big game companies make a salary in the $50-60k range in North America. Which isn't bad, except that the amount of hours they will usually put in over a year put their hourly earnings down in the trash.

Professor
3007th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):Re(10):gaming indusries" , posted Fri 15 Apr 02:34:post reply

quote:

Most programmers at big game companies make a salary in the $50-60k range in North America. Which isn't bad, except that the amount of hours they will usually put in over a year put their hourly earnings down in the trash.

(Nominal_salary / (obsese_working_hours + no_overtime_payment)) - taxes <= I'm_lovin'_it

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 15 Apr 02:38]

Oh my
5th Post

New Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):gaming indusries" , posted Sat 16 Apr 06:34:post reply

i am not so in the artist field. If i focus myself in art i will finish up stuck.
I use to like the Tetsuya nomura career even his style, well most of the artwok i use to draw was his. He is very cool and brougth a new concept on RPG even if i never liked FF8 as a game it really got me by the looks, and obvious the FF name, even plp that never play vid games got caught by it.

Now i dont remember well the story but he is an artist and started to work since squareenix was squaresoft. He worked as a programer and it wasnt until later, since the fame of ff7, that he got conciderated by the company to work as an artist and now well he is not so bad.

As i know you have to get known as an artist to be considerate bacause if your not you will finish up working for others.
The art concept is important and as i know in japan the art is taken seriosly.
I know this is kind of old but is a good example:

i remeber the chrono trigger boom and it wasnt only because the game was great it was Akira Toriyama influence and you notice in the game his style, its really work out for that game. Then square try to do the same with tobal and that didnt save tha game, what a crap. Then chrono cross, they change all and they use a rename artist known from a famous anime but even if the game was good it wasnt the same.

Knowing that, i wanted to study computer engineer to get in the gaming industries in a high position to get considerated and get well paid. By the year 2000 I use to watch Tech TV and Slap (a discovery kids channel program about animation and CG news i remember they once talk about square soft and FF8).

By those programs i heard about the software maya that for that year i heard some games where made using that program and i try to download it to start with something making animation but the internet was a crap it took too much time and my fam wanted to use the internet too. Those programs are always having updates and i was stupid to be downloading a crap ver because is the one availabe. Then i saw i have to download things appart like maya eyes, maya hair and all that stuff i gave up.

I live in Puerto Rico and here the TV is a crap imagine know about computer animation.
I never got the gut to ask about Maya in a store because this is a specialize program use for animators is not known to be use as a gen program. I could get it on line but its too expensive and my parents will never bought it just for me, i dont live alone.

I got my wacom because i bought it with my own money. In my house they never like this idea is not that they stop me but they dont support me and i have to move on my own and be resposable of my own action bla, bla, bla the same story of many people.

I can study graphic desinger or compu system but here is a waste of time and money. I only need money get the program learn how to use it and viola bacause as i know it take too much time to make an animation it will be useless.

OMG i was so psychotic when i was a girl, i used to say that i was going live and work in japan because it was there the gaming industries was in. But now things are different and is smiling in the US.

As you can notice i dont like their games too much because they are alike, except bioshock and GW but i cant take that the games are amaizing and the graphics are awsome. You can take these advantage and make a big thing like a great RPG that can kick Kingdom hearts and FF butt and then US have all. Sound crazy psycotic but is true.

The work is hard but tell me every work is hard. I dont have nothing to lose i have a bachelor degree in microbiology but i have it since 2009 and like in technology those thing change fast.I have to start by workig in a farmaceutic and the work there, well in Puerto Rico, is paid like game tester (from $10 to fed min, 7.50, per hour not having in mind the life quality in the economical point of view for example a salary of 20k here per year is like live with a 50K where you guys live, i dont know)and sometimes when they are in rush you have to work overtime and weekends for a stupid company. Since my mom was there i havent saw her taking a good vacation and sometimes here the days are so beatuful you just want to F&%$ the work and go to the beach.

The farmaceuticals products is something serious and the procedures are very strict and if someone dies because of it, talking about gen public, the company falls and you get unemployed, tell me what is worst. In Puerto Rico there is a big farm manufacturer focus in biotech called amgen and many people have their house and their fam in their hands what will happen if it falls .

I already passed that expirience with my parents when the company they work falls. By the expirience they get job fast but is very saturated. In college they told me go take the master degree and dont stop, but for what, to finish up in a farmaceutic company. You can get well paid but if your job is crutial they exploit you and i dont know if i will to get that far. I like what i study but i wont F%$# for it no way.

Sorry i wrote too much but can you guys see now where i try to get. Crazy ah? what i wrote first are concept of my past dreams but now i am looking for options to what i preffer to do because i am soooooooo stuck now.

what?

[this message was edited by Oh my on Sat 16 Apr 06:47]

Moo
21th Post

New Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):gaming indusries" , posted Sun 17 Apr 21:33post reply

I don't really know anything about Puerto Rico, sorry. Maybe someone else will be able to help you about that.
I'm in Australia. The game industry here is dying because the government here doesn't give special benefits to game development, so game publishers prefer to go elsewhere. Animation and film seem to be going the same direction.

You can get Maya for free under a student's license now (assuming that you need to be an actual student), but it's still around 2 gigs in size:
http://students.autodesk.com/

There are usually a lot of tutorials floating around the internet, and learning websites like Digital Tutors and Gnomonology are popular. There's also 3d sculpting, using programs like ZBrush or MudBox, but all of these things take time to learn. I've heard that the easiest way to learn is to have someone around all the time that you can ask questions when you're stuck.
Even if you can't get into game development, digital art can be useful for special effects in film and television.

I guess you could just try a few things here and there, see what you like the most and then decide? Most of those programs have free trials. Good luck, I hope you find your path.

Oh my
5th Post

New Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):gaming indusries" , posted Tue 19 Apr 01:59post reply

Nah, PR is USA territory like Hawaii(ahem, digiboy i dont know what you have in mind but you got close) but is not a state.

i know i can take maya free trial but i dont want that. For what i want as i see i dont need to study i need psychic and mind control powers. Moo, isnt Austalia part of England there are good companies like RARE.

So if i stop taking my medications and embrace my insanity by deciding doing something in my life like pursuing my stupid dream and as i see starting by being a game tester.
I will like to know, if nobody bother and know about it, the salary depending the state, the work enviroment, the task and responsability and if like any other industries if there are time shifts, you know the real deal.

what?

Digitalboy
740th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):gaming indusries" , posted Tue 19 Apr 13:10post reply

Mashed potatoes. MASHED POTATOES! POHHH-TAAAY-TOHHHS!!!
quote:
...(ahem, digiboy i dont know what you have in mind but you got close)...

You had me at medications.
quote:
...medications and embrace my insanity...

I don't know how to live

Moo
23th Post

New Customer

"Re(7):Re(10):gaming indusries" , posted Tue 19 Apr 17:59:post reply

quote:
Moo, isnt Austalia part of England there are good companies like RARE.

As far as I know, Australia being a colony of England doesn't have anything to do with the game development here. We just have a few studios, some of them are branches of studios from other countries. The impression I got was that Australian game developers usually just do ports. There are a few exceptions like Bioshock and L.A. Noire, but I don't know of many others... at least, not successful ones. I hear that game developers often have to move from one country to another just to work together with the dev team.

This site is supposedly outdated but lists game development studios throughout the world.
http://www.gamedevmap.com/index.php

I have a friend who did game testing for a major U.S. publisher a few years ago. He applied through their website, but he also had a friend recommend him. They interview you and ask you questions like what games you play. You have to sign the usual stuff about not talking about the game at all, and apparently you're not supposed to talk about their procedures either so I can't say much. The pay was roughly $10 USD an hour. The job isn't very secure and the hours are chaotic. You're expected to work overtime. If you're looking for that kind of job, try looking for Quality Assurance positions on game developer/publisher websites.

Edit: Updated.

[this message was edited by Moo on Tue 19 Apr 18:39]

Oh my
6th Post

New Customer

"Re(8):Re(10):gaming indusries" , posted Wed 20 Apr 03:47post reply

quote:

As far as I know, Australia being a colony of England doesn't have anything to do with the game development here.

Hey dont take me wrong, i am talking about travel and get a jod easy. What i mean is that like me i can travel to any US state easy and work without the problems of being an imigrant and the visa thing. You can do the same in England. With my title and standard expierice i could get a job in spain easy and earn euros but imagine.

quote:

We just have a few studios, some of them are branches of studios from other countries. The impression I got was that Australian game developers usually just do ports. There are a few exceptions like Bioshock and L.A. Noire, but I don't know of many others... at least, not successful ones.

At least have something, here is all CRAP (in gamestuff point of view) everything is farm, medicines quemistry, biothec, nobody knows about graphic desing. Que verguenza (what a shame) even latin america have something chachooooooooo.

Dont tell me that a game tester is what is called a QA, so what you have to do is play and make a report if there is some kind of failure or something like it, right?

10$ per hour for living here is not so bad at least i can have a highlander with that. Work overtime playing is better than be an operator of niddles and look over a microscope or bieng expose by harmful chemicals and wear a gowning hehehe.

The security of the job is to concern and what do you mean by chaotic hours it is like:
1st shift 6:00am to 2:00pm, 2nd shift 1:00pm to 10:00pm, 3rd shift from 10:00pm to 6:00am and not mention 4th to 6th shift
Is it like that?

quote:

You had me at medications.

wich med xanax or clonazepam or a mix of both hehehe
xanax sound like a name for those spaceships games like gradius. a name idea for making an insane game. (please dont take it bad this is a joke)

what?

Moo
23th Post

New Customer

"Re(9):Re(10):gaming indusries" , posted Thu 21 Apr 21:37post reply

quote:

so what you have to do is play and make a report if there is some kind of failure or something like it, right?

Yeah, basically.

quote:

The security of the job is to concern and what do you mean by chaotic hour

Like, one day could be standard 9 to 5 and the next might be 12 hours.