Ishmael
4056th Post

user profileedit/delete message

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Capcom Captivate" , posted Tue 29 Mar 06:51post reply

So it sounds like Capcom's annual debutante ball that is Capcom Captivate is scheduled for next week, with the press blackout lifted on April 12. So what is going to be revealed? More information about SFvsTekken? The new RE game starring an Umbrella spook squad? That new DMC game that nobody is looking forward to? Will any news leak out beforehand due to a combination of cellphone pictures and sloppy reporting? Will people on the internet get their blood pressure up over videogames?

I have no idea but I figured I should start a thread for it anyway.

Replies:

Gojira
2722th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
Wii: 80085

"Re(1):Capcom Captivate" , posted Tue 29 Mar 07:36post reply

I'm assuming we'll hear more about this, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to hear. All I know is this would be the first RE game to be outsourced since... ever? And to those SOCOM devs, no less.

GekigangerV
1684th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):Capcom Captivate" , posted Tue 29 Mar 10:35post reply

quote:
I'm assuming we'll hear more about this, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to hear. All I know is this would be the first RE game to be outsourced since... ever? And to those SOCOM devs, no less.

I am curious to how this will turn out. Going back to Raccoon City seems a bit desperate, but hopefully it is fun. I saw some scans a bit earlier and it looked ok, but it was weird that you could take a Zombie as a shield.

I also wonder if they will try to Matrix-fy this to try to bring in the movie crowd.

I am sure we will also hear something about SFIVArcade Edition coming to consoles. I am expecting DLC for $20. If this is another disc release I will be very disappointed.

Maou
2170th Post

"Re(3):Capcom Captivate" , posted Tue 29 Mar 10:46post reply

I'm trying to trick a friend at Capcom into flying me to the event, as well. Just think of all the good press I might or might not provide! Truth be told, though, all I really want them to talk about there is Rockman Dash 3.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Badoor
182th Post

PSN: BadoorSNK
XBL: BadoorSNK

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Capcom Captivate" , posted Tue 29 Mar 18:47post reply

Other than showing off the bigger stuff they announced, I wonder what their plans are with their 8-bit Mega Man revival. Is their going to be a Mega Man 11? A new game in the X series? Or are Inticrates now forever relegated to patching up Gal Gun till it's no fun at all?

Also, I want to see whether SF3:3rd Strike is just a port or if it has any sort of enhancements. Hopefully, it should have 2nd Impact and New Generation there. And what's their next Vault release?

maese
620th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(5):Capcom Captivate" , posted Tue 29 Mar 23:06post reply

I myself want them to show more fottage of Ashura's Rage. And hopefully drop some hints about its release date, which will, very likely, be the date when I buy a next current generation console once for all.

Maou
2172th Post

"Re(5):Capcom Captivate" , posted Wed 30 Mar 10:48post reply

quote:
Also, I want to see whether SF3:3rd Strike is just a port or if it has any sort of enhancements. Hopefully, it should have 2nd Impact and New Generation there.
Yes PLEASE. I'd love love love to play a decent copy of the original and 2nd Impact based on the funky funky music and multi-tier stages that the Cafe enlightened me about. Also, we spent about six hours playing Street Fight Zero 2 last weekend, instead of the usual 3, which reminded me of the fun of playing the classy second update in a SF series in favor of the flashier third with worse music. Capcom, you still have one week to make me happy!

Burning Ranger
1697th Post

"Re(6):Capcom Captivate" , posted Wed 30 Mar 11:00post reply

quote:
Also, we spent about six hours playing Street Fight Zero 2 last weekend, instead of the usual 3, which reminded me of the fun of playing the classy second update in a SF series in favor of the flashier third with worse music. Capcom, you still have one week to make me happy!

This is exactly how I feel; great minds think alike.

Anyway, media embargo until April 12? :(

So much to do so little time...

Grave
1363th Post

PSN: Drakee
XBL: Mikelson

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(6):Capcom Captivate" , posted Wed 30 Mar 12:08post reply

quote:
I myself want them to show more fottage of Ashura's Rage. And hopefully drop some hints about its release date, which will, very likely, be the date when I buy a next current generation console once for all.

The last trailer consisted of... QTEs. That's it. If they were trying to turn me off, it worked. Can't say I care one little bit about this game.

maese
621th Post

"Re(7):Capcom Captivate" , posted Thu 31 Mar 17:26post reply

quote:

The last trailer consisted of... QTEs. That's it. If they were trying to turn me off, it worked. Can't say I care one little bit about this game.

Come on man, you have no heart: it's a game about angry, blood covered gods punching and kicking some gigantic chubby Buddhas' arhses, what's not to love...? Awesomeness unleashed!

I see your point, however, and that's why I would like to see some actual game footage and not just a bunch of fancy QTEs and intros as on the previous trailer. That being said, I must admit I'm totally sold just based on the game's aesthetics, so I wouldn't mind at all if it ended up being a mere Buddhist-themed Sangoku Musou clone. Ah, what a simple guy I am...

Pollyanna
3014th Post

PSN: Lilly_Dopamine

"Re(8):Capcom Captivate" , posted Thu 31 Mar 17:40post reply

quote:
I am sure we will also hear something about SFIVArcade Edition coming to consoles. I am expecting DLC for $20. If this is another disc release I will be very disappointed.

Seeing as it has its own rating, I'm thinking it might be like Biohazard Gold, or whatever it was called. I guess it might make sense to do a disc version that has all the amassed DLC, since there's quite a bit of it now. If you have that along with a downloadable upgrade, it would seem like the best of both worlds.

Also, Megaman Universe is cannnnneeeed~

http://www.capcom.co.jp/megaman_universe/

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Iggy
9243th Post

"Re(9):Capcom Captivate" , posted Thu 31 Mar 17:50post reply

quote:

If the ugly DMC could be canned as well, it could be the best Capcom show ever, even if nothing else is shown.

Maou
2175th Post

"Re(10):Capcom Captivate" , posted Fri 1 Apr 12:26post reply

quote:

If the ugly DMC could be canned as well, it could be the best Capcom show ever, even if nothing else is shown.

This is already the best announcement Capcom could make at Captivate. ...wait, are they supposed to announce things that are starting and not just the end to things I (theoretically would) hate? I'm perfectly happy with this format, actually.

NARUTO
3724th Post

"Re(10):Capcom Captivate" , posted Fri 1 Apr 17:45:post reply

quote:

1st post since ages, but I fully agrees with you my dear. And maybe Ono will comme with some SF vs TK blurry pics, with blanka toys inside...

Fortes fortuna juvat...

[this message was edited by NARUTO on Fri 1 Apr 17:46]

Ishmael
4060th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Capcom Captivate" , posted Wed 6 Apr 21:07post reply

Are D.D., Ingrid and that other guy that I can't remember the name of making their glorious return in a new version of Capcom Fighting All Stars? Probably not.

Badoor
183th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Capcom Captivate" , posted Wed 6 Apr 22:56post reply

quote:
Are D.D., Ingrid and that other guy that I can't remember the name of making their glorious return in a new version of Capcom Fighting All Stars? Probably not.

People are thinking that Capcom's going to announce DRAGON DOGMA, and Dogma, being a quasi religious term, that must mean it's a JRPG. And Capcom's only JRPG series is Breath of Fire, which has dragons.

Therefore, we conclude that DD is Darkwing Duck 2.

Gojira
2726th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Capcom Captivate" , posted Thu 7 Apr 04:03post reply

quote:
People are thinking that Capcom's going to announce DRAGON DOGMA, and Dogma, being a quasi religious term, that must mean it's a JRPG. And Capcom's only JRPG series is Breath of Fire, which has dragons.

God I hope so. To either theory.

mbisonhatclub
280th Post

PSN: hadoolket

Copper Customer

"Oh-no" , posted Thu 7 Apr 11:37post reply

I believe there are many times where it is recommend that Ono keep his mouth shut

That time would probably be: all the time

join the m.bison hat club today
i'm not just the president i'm also a client

sibarraz
44th Post

PSN: n/a
XBL: sibarraz4life

Rare Customer

"Re(1):Oh-no" , posted Thu 7 Apr 12:26post reply

quote:
I believe there are many times where it is recommend that Ono keep his mouth shut

Ono should shut his mouth all the time, period

Amakusa
872th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):Oh-no" , posted Thu 7 Apr 17:26post reply

quote:

Reminds me of whats-his-face who proclaimed that Tekken was a piece of shit.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

Ishmael
4063th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Capcom Captivate" , posted Thu 7 Apr 22:59post reply

quote:

The director of the last BoF game emerged from the hyperbaric chamber Capcom has been storing him in to tweet about this and that.

Since all signs are pointing to dogmatic dragons, it made me realize I've never played a BoF game. How are they? Are there any that are recommended?

chazumaru
777th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(5):Re(10):Capcom Captivate" , posted Thu 7 Apr 23:40post reply

Dragon Quarter (BOF5) had a very intriguing system, entirely focussed on replaying the same game several time, as if the entire experience was conceived around the concept of NewGame+; it was easily the most ambitious episode in the series. I would recommend trying it for the sake of curiosity.

The rest are your average Japanese RPG with decent production value and often amazing character design ; nothing to write home about. The best one in that group is usually considered to be Breath of Fire II, which you can get for cheap on several platforms including Virtual Console. Truth be told, I would advise getting the artbook over playing any of them...

The best game from the BOF team was Takarajima Z / Zack & Wiki. Heh!

Also, there was this. I would not have bothered but the link was sent to me by someone who would not send stupid stuff.

無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は

Nobinobita
893th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Capcom Captivate" , posted Fri 8 Apr 00:38post reply

All the BOF games are fun and have nice art. I particularly love part IV, which has one of the best East Asian inspired settings I've ever seen. It also has incredible sprite art from the Street Fighter III era.

And then there's Dragon Quarter, an unforgiving, unusually somber entry into the series. It's a game about what it feels like to claw your way out of a hole. I think it's one of the best and ballsiest RPGs out there. Its got some really cool mechanics going. In addition to what Chaz described there's also the dragon meter. As with all BOF games, the main character in Dragon Quarter can turn into a dragon. You become incredibly powerful, but it depletes a meter that never refills. Once the meter runs out you stay a dragon forever and the game ends. This system made for some of the most intense boss battles I've ever experienced. It also added a much more immersive dimension to the classic setup of a hero who is afraid of becoming a monster.

If you like dungeon crawlers for both their gameplay and mood (adventure in the face of hopelessness) then there's a good chance you'll dig Dragon Quarter.

www.art-eater.com

Gojira
2727th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Capcom Captivate" , posted Fri 8 Apr 01:13post reply

I suppose nowadays you can sweep over the BoF series and call it "standard" JRPG fare, but in its heyday it had a lot of unique touches going for it. Like hunting for food, and giving each character a unique overworld power to access new areas. Part of the reason BoF2 is widely considered best in the series is that the minigames were far ahead of their time (hunting, fishing, being a merchant, city building, some others I'm forgetting), and I think BoF was probably one of the primary inspirations behind what Konami did in the Suikoden series. And that's saying nothing of the awesome fusions you could do later in the game, which added a new dimension to your party management. The only downside was the extremely dry translation, which didn't even bother to change the Japanese font to an English one (resulting in a lot of missing punctuation and leaving in the Japanese quotation brackets).

Dragon Quarter was more dungeon hack than RPG. While I always applaud the idea of doing something new, and it did have some good ideas, I felt it abandoned too many of the things I loved about the BoF series to be mentioned in the same breath as the rest of them. (No pun intended.) It kind of soured my relationship with the series.

Toxico
5295th Post

PSN: Toxic-Baron

"Re(6):Re(10):Capcom Captivate" , posted Fri 8 Apr 01:30post reply

quote:

Truth be told, I would advise getting the artbook over playing any of them...

Add the soundtrack to that artbook thing. The soundtracks itself are good, yet not good enough to be among those "timeless favorites".

The problem with the main games is that they are nicely done and all.... But they really don't offer that much outside that casual "complete the game" in the gameplay department. Is true that the games do have extra content and all, but the amount of extra and hidden things is just so little and need such amount of work to access to that in the end it turns up that you are better not bothering with what's not there from the start; as such the game won't be something that you'll truly appreciate unless you are unfairly biased towards the game.
This comment, of course, does not take into account graphics design nor music which might increase the impact of the game to you if you are "compatible" with "being in awe" by those features.

quote:
Dragon Quarter (BOF5) had a very intriguing system, entirely focused on replaying the same game several time, as if the entire experience was conceived around the concept of NewGame+; it was easily the most ambitious episode in the series. I would recommend trying it for the sake of curiosity.

.... Which gets us to this, Dragon Quarter pretty much fought in a different direction than the previous games, the game itself is build in a way which has much more impact than it's 2D counterparts and is certainly a clever & fun trip if you allow yourself to enjoy the game's mechanics; most boss battles are still engraved unto my memory for their toughness and originality.

I didn't had that feeling of being poisoned, trapped in the middle of a dungeon with no healing items and no clue if I could make it to the end or if I could make it back to the entrance ever since I played Final Fantasy 1. I loved that.

.... But the main thing about the game, is that not being "2D" and not being "animu enough" kinda betrayed the expectations of casual fans of the series (pretty much everyone in the US and pretty much everyone from which you'll hear a complain); the darker ambiance had this side effect of having characters that weren't straight out attractive nor dashing and a lot of fans couldn't stomach that.
Heck, most people look like they do live in a cave (don't ask me how I can corroborate this).

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Update 23 as of 25/10/10 (Temporary mega upload link).

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 22 as of 10/01/11

NARUTO
3724th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Capcom Captivate" , posted Tue 12 Apr 17:25post reply

SO it seems that everything that was shown at this captivate was:

- Resident Evil: Spook Squad édition
- Resident evil, 3DS
- Asura's Wrath
- SF vs TK
- SSF4 AE
- Dragon's dogma
- Another new title.

Yes No DMC was shown at the captivate, Ninja theory forum just says that they keep worjing to make it excellent...And E3 seems to be the next step.

Fortes fortuna juvat...

Nekros
346th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(8):Re(10):Capcom Captivate" , posted Wed 13 Apr 00:39post reply

CRAPcom Captivate....

Guess what? No real news!

Just got what we expected, and in a lame way also.

SSFIV AE, both on disc and dlc format. Disc format announced for PS360 and PC by the end of June.
Nothing new, nothing special. But nothing bad, imho.

DRAGON'S DOGMA is a new franchise. The textures quality is very good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsJ3XwTkjWo but I think this game is overhyped as hell. It seems the same, old, boring western fantasy action rpg, it is clearly developed for a western pc-addicted audience. I red very enthusiastic impressions but to me is more of the same especially compared to a large portion of PC games. Using that graphic engine with a new Onimusha or anything related to old franchises would had be a better idea.

STREET FIGHTER X TEKKEN isn't bad, but graphically too similar to SFIV. They sure didn't work so much porting SF chars, and even a Tekken one resemble TOO CLEARLY a polygon model used for a SFIV character. See by yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_cdzWvVWRCI

As things are today I'm expecting a huge fps with bald space marines being announced by Capcom at E3.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
Why in the world the choose GUILE? Come on, everyone deserve to see NASH in SFIV engine...why the fucking Guile? Why Capcom, why? Also, they keep ignoring SF3 rooster.

End of Spoiler

GekigangerV
1690th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Capcom Captivate" , posted Wed 13 Apr 01:27post reply

I was wondering why nothing was leaking and it seems the reason was is that there wasn't anything too interesting to leak.

Dragon's Dogma looks pretty enough. I don't play those kinds of games though. I will keep an eye on it for now and if it looks fun I may pick it up.

Asura's Wrath is looking as crazy as before. I hope the core gameplay is enjoyable and not repetitive. I enjoy CyberConnect2's Naruto games so I know they can get an intense aesthetic down.

I am surprised Capcom didn't take Captivate as an opportunity to hype something small for MvC3 such as DLC costumes.

Ishmael
4066th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Capcom Captivate" , posted Wed 13 Apr 01:35post reply

Nothing new on Asura's Wrath other than a trailer that features more finger fighting action.

The new cinema trailer for SFvTekken makes it look like the most violent energy drink commercial ever filmed. Speaking of Tekken in general, I like how the franchise has given up trying to make Jin the star and that the poster boy for the games is once again the huge jerk that is Kazuya. This makes me very happy. While the info about SFvT gives me a vs games copy/paste vibe it does feature Bob fighting in a stage filled with dinosaurs. This, also, makes me very happy.

quote:
It seems the same, old, boring western fantasy action rpg, it is clearly developed for a western pc-addicted audience. I red very enthusiastic impressions but to me is more of the same especially compared to a large portion of PC games. Using that graphic engine with a new Onimusha or anything related to old franchises would had be a better idea.

Question!

Are the King's Field game too "Western?" Is Demon's Souls? Must game settings be country specific for the developers?

badoor
184th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(9):Re(10):Capcom Captivate" , posted Wed 13 Apr 03:24post reply

quote:

DRAGON'S DOGMA is a new franchise. The textures quality is very good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsJ3XwTkjWo but I think this game is overhyped as hell. It seems the same, old, boring western fantasy action rpg, it is clearly developed for a western pc-addicted audience. I red very enthusiastic impressions but to me is more of the same especially compared to a large portion of PC games. Using that graphic engine with a new Onimusha or anything related to old franchises would had be a better idea.

I guess looking at it in a cynical way it seems to be the HD Moster Hunter repurposed for a western audience (Attempt #2 after Lost Planet 2) with a more western friendly aesthetic. But then I see This face and I'm all happy and comforted that it would still have all the quirkiness of a Capcom game.

quote:

Even a Tekken one resemble TOO CLEARLY a polygon model used for a SFIV character.
I'm still hoping to see a real Rufus vs Bob fight but if Rufus doesn't show up at least we can feel happy that his blubbery jiggling model lives on inside Bob.

nobinobita
898th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Capcom Captivate" , posted Wed 13 Apr 03:42post reply

quote:

I guess looking at it in a cynical way it seems to be the HD Moster Hunter repurposed for a western audience (Attempt #2 after Lost Planet 2) with a more western friendly aesthetic. But then I see This face and I'm all happy and comforted that it would still have all the quirkiness of a Capcom game.

Yes! The soul still burns!

www.art-eater.com

Loona
393th Post

PSN: IkariLoona

Silver Customer

"Re(10):Re(10):Capcom Captivate" , posted Wed 13 Apr 03:44post reply

quote:
Speaking of Tekken in general, I like how the franchise has given up trying to make Jin the star and that the poster boy for the games is once again the huge jerk that is Kazuya.

Oh, they haven't given up, iirc the few promotional images for the TxSF counterpart had Jin as the poster boy. Ono can get away with not caring about what Harada thinks while he's working on this.
Hell, at least Harada didn't pick Lars as the poster boy, as T6 seems to be pushing in that direction.
As a bonus, so far Capcom hasn't tried to shove C.Viper down our throats in this. Gotta wait and see, but for now I'm glad Abel's plainer design is in, his style fits this better IMO...

The trailer seems to hint at Ryu and Kazuya's alter ego abilities (Devil laser thing for Kaz, "evil" moment for Ryu while preparing a Hadoken) being able to pop up during fights as their regular selves - I kinda prefer such an integrated approch to the characters, if it indeed comes to that.

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

maese
622th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Capcom Captivate" , posted Wed 13 Apr 04:17post reply

quote:
CRAPcom Captivate & Nekros' rant

Come on man, don't be such a hater... While this Capcom Captivate was certainly not a spectacular show, all in all we can safely conclude that everything went better than expected.

Aa~n, the more I see about Ashura's Wrath, the deeper I fall in love with it... ;_;

Pollyanna
3016th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Capcom Captivate" , posted Wed 13 Apr 04:23post reply

Dragons' Dogma looks like it would be fun multiplayer. I hope they detail the system for that soon. Maybe I just missed the news, but the lack of information on the (potential) multiplayer aspect makes me worry that it's not going to be very robust.

As for it being too "western", I think it's a bit "stereotyped western"...like it looks stale. Demon's Souls had the "western fantasy" feel, but also had a lot of personality, especially in the monster designs. I wish the player characters would've looked a bit more interesting, though...

I'll be interested in Tekken X SF when they show me Sakura/Karin vs Asuka/Lili. Other than that, the game looks really early, so I think it's a bit premature to criticize the details.

I expected that they would have more to show for Ashura's Wrath. I'm not a big fan of announcing games super early, having almost nothing to show, then having almost nothing to show again months later.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Iggy
9246th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Capcom Captivate" , posted Wed 13 Apr 06:50post reply

quote:
Come on man, don't be such a hater... While this Capcom Captivate was certainly not a spectacular show, all in all we can safely conclude that everything went better than expected.

They didn't talk about DMC. anything on top of that is better than expected!

I also like the SFvsT videos as much as I hated the one they showed months ago. The charging system sounds very interesting... I'm intrigued. And the roaster is already interesting with only 10 characters, I have high hopes that we might be spared the full 12 SF2 cast this time.

And like 100% of the good tasted Internet, my final opinion of the game will greatly vary depending on the presence of Karin and Lili.

Burning Ranger
1698th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Capcom Captivate" , posted Wed 13 Apr 06:58post reply

quote:
Other than that, the game looks really early, so I think it's a bit premature to criticize the details.

I agree it's way too early to pass judgement, and the game definitely needs work. The gameplay looks sluggish to me. Reminds me of how the Eolith KOFs compared to the original SNK versions, or how SvC Chaos felt compared to the rest of SNK's catalog.

Plenty of time to fix the game. 2012 is a long ways away...

So much to do so little time...

Grave
1366th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Capcom Captivate" , posted Wed 13 Apr 14:00post reply

quote:
Aa~n, the more I see about Ashura's Wrath, the deeper I fall in love with it... ;_;

What is it that people are seeing in this game...? I don't quite get it. I mean, the first trailer was quite literally just a QTE. When the last thing I want to see in an action game is the first thing they decide to show me I can safely say that I want absolutely nothing to do with this one.

Toxico
5302th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Capcom Captivate" , posted Wed 13 Apr 14:37post reply

quote:

What is it that people are seeing in this game...? I don't quite get it. I mean, the first trailer was quite literally just a QTE. When the last thing I want to see in an action game is the first thing they decide to show me I can safely say that I want absolutely nothing to do with this one.

While the basic premise for your character is typical, dull and all; if bright, shinning fat world crushing Buddahs don't do it for you, you are better off cutting ties from society and secluding yourself to a life of solitude without the evil influence electricity in a Tibetan temple.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Pollyanna
3017th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Capcom Captivate" , posted Wed 13 Apr 14:45post reply

quote:

I agree it's way too early to pass judgement, and the game definitely needs work. The gameplay looks sluggish to me. Reminds me of how the Eolith KOFs compared to the original SNK versions, or how SvC Chaos felt compared to the rest of SNK's catalog.

Yeah, it looks kinda...unnatural. But the "physics" as well as the renders in SF4 were fairly different in early builds, and that was way further along than this. I think jumps in particular changed a lot.

Anyway, it looks like they're still working on the graphics style too, but one advantage of having the SFIV models already finished is that they already have something handy to plug into the game and try out.

quote:

He's sold on the concept. Like, if a company announced a game called "Bass Princess" with character designs Akiman by and a soundtrack by The Back Horn, I'd be all over it before I even knew what kind of game it was.

(for the record, that's "bass" like bass guitar, not the fish).

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

maese
623th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Capcom Captivate" , posted Wed 13 Apr 19:10post reply

quote:

He's sold on the concept. Like, if a company announced a game called "Bass Princess" with character designs Akiman by and a soundtrack by The Back Horn, I'd be all over it before I even knew what kind of game it was.

To think that the person who understands me best is actually my worst enemy...!

Just kidding, but Polly and Toxico pretty much nailed it. It's just a feeling thing. True, judging from what we've seen of Ashura's Wrath up to now there is not much to be excited about yet, and probably when I get to finally play the game I will end up dissapointed. But the whole mood this little one transpires has struck the right chord in me. The rightest chord ever! If it delivers just 1/10 of what it promises, I will be a happy, happy monkey.

Oh and, regarding SFxT, as much as I'd love to see Karin on it, I wouldn't get my expectatives too high. They have enough work making brand new (or almost brand new) models for all the Tekken cast, for the SF crew don't expect they are going to do anything else than copypasting their existent SFIV models. There's no way they're going to waste any effort in creating new models for SF characters. I'd love to be wrong in this one, but it's Capcom after all. Well, maybe a head swap with Sakura...

Ishmael
4067th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Capcom Captivate" , posted Wed 13 Apr 23:25post reply

quote:

(for the record, that's "bass" like bass guitar, not the fish).

Guitar, fish, I would play either version of "Get Bass Princess."

Speaking of high concept, a new trailer for RE:Raccoon City has popped up. Part of me is curious about a game where you play as a squad of MGS bad guys in an attempt to fight through soldiers, zombies and anything else that walks. RE:Raccoon also appears to control like a MGS game but I was never in love with the controls in previous RE games so this isn't too much of a concern to me. My guess is that some RE purists aren't thrilled about the ability to shoot while moving and not having a designated rotate button but I'm not certain that this game is made for them.

Or is it? Why try to appease continuity fans by setting the game in 1998 only to have the ability to radically change the storyline? Does anybody think that having the ability to bump off a character from a thirteen year old game is a good selling point? It's not that I'm looking forward to playing RE:Raccoon so much as I want to see how much more confusing and misguided the game can get.

Nekros
347th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(10):Re(10):Capcom Captivate" , posted Thu 14 Apr 00:45post reply

quote:
Question!

Are the King's Field game too "Western?" Is Demon's Souls? Must game settings be country specific for the developers?

Fantasy alone is not necessarily a bad thing but it's a too generic and overused setting. King's Field and Demon's Souls have the stereotypical fantasy world but in Japan we don't see similar games as often as in the west. The main difference is also the monsters and atmosphere is more towards "dark" middle ages than "epic fantasy" middle ages. To be clear: is more similar to Berserk than LOTR or D&D. Maybe I was expecting something with more personality and original traits from Capcom, and I get an action game with the classic fantasy stereotypes.

sibarraz
50th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Capcom Captivate" , posted Thu 14 Apr 00:52post reply

For those asking for the lack of DLC for MVC3 http://kotaku.com/#!5791550/dont-hold-your-breath-for-more-marvel-vs-capcom-3-content

I had heard that the game bombed sales-wise, they were expecting to sale 2 million units, but so far had only sell 1.09 million units

Toxico
5303th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Capcom Captivate" , posted Thu 14 Apr 02:16post reply

zzzzzz....

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

sibarraz
51th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Capcom Captivate" , posted Thu 14 Apr 03:02post reply

quote:
zzzzzz....

The gameplay looks weird... and boring as hell

Iggy
9247th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Capcom Captivate" , posted Thu 14 Apr 22:15post reply

quote:
For those asking for the lack of DLC for MVC3 http://kotaku.com/#!5791550/dont-hold-your-breath-for-more-marvel-vs-capcom-3-content

It was actually a typo, the person meant SF4.

Ishmael
4068th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Capcom Captivate" , posted Fri 15 Apr 03:33post reply

quote:
Fantasy alone is not necessarily a bad thing but it's a too generic and overused setting. King's Field and Demon's Souls have the stereotypical fantasy world but in Japan we don't see similar games as often as in the west. The main difference is also the monsters and atmosphere is more towards "dark" middle ages than "epic fantasy" middle ages. To be clear: is more similar to Berserk than LOTR or D&D. Maybe I was expecting something with more personality and original traits from Capcom, and I get an action game with the classic fantasy stereotypes.

I agree, while the scope of the game looks epic the characters looked as bland as can be. I'm hoping that means the look and play style of the characters can be altered to suit the taste of the players in a manner similar to Monster Hunter or Lost Planet 2. That would mean that not only would there be some quirky individuality in the game but it would be something that I could change to suit my mood.

quote:
It was actually a typo, the person meant SF4.

Even if it wasn't a typo I'm not certain that a Twitter post from some random nobody at Capcom Europe is a definitive answer. I do, however, like the "Would you kids shut up so mommy can finish her gin and tonic!" attitude that the post contained. It's amazing how much personality can be conveyed in 140 characters.

Toxico
5305th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):Capcom Captivate" , posted Fri 15 Apr 03:51post reply

quote:

Even if it wasn't a typo I'm not certain that a Twitter post from some random nobody at Capcom Europe is a definitive answer. I do, however, like the "Would you kids shut up so mommy can finish her gin and tonic!" attitude t

Gpara has many details.

Am I the only one who thinks that Arcade Edition is the single most stupid name for a console game?

A poor attempt at actual HQ trailers for TvSF (or was it the other way around?)... At least Audio is clearer, I think.

Dragon Dogma's site got updated.

And... I don't know?

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Pollyanna
3018th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):Capcom Captivate" , posted Fri 15 Apr 05:01post reply

quote:
Oh and, regarding SFxT, as much as I'd love to see Karin on it, I wouldn't get my expectatives too high. They have enough work making brand new (or almost brand new) models for all the Tekken cast, for the SF crew don't expect they are going to do anything else than copypasting their existent SFIV models.

I was expecting a very small number of new SF characters. Like...2. (Karin and Alex, please!) Even with Capcom's track record, I'm optimistic enough to think they'll at least give us 1.

quote:
The gameplay looks weird... and boring as hell

They should not have shown us that video or let anyone play the game in a recordable environment.

quote:
Why try to appease continuity fans by setting the game in 1998 only to have the ability to radically change the storyline? Does anybody think that having the ability to bump off a character from a thirteen year old game is a good selling point? It's not that I'm looking forward to playing RE:Raccoon so much as I want to see how much more confusing and misguided the game can get.

Although I'm generally opposed to the "sell off a title to a Western developer" approach, if it's not a direct sequel, I think it can be a good idea. In this case, I'm comparing the game to other Biohazard offshoot titles, not a numbered sequel. Among that set, the game is looking pretty good.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Baines
282th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Capcom Captivate" , posted Fri 15 Apr 06:34post reply

quote:
I had heard that the game bombed sales-wise, they were expecting to sale 2 million units, but so far had only sell 1.09 million units

That's what happens when you release a hardcore game on the Wi--oh, wait, never mind. I guess people will have to come up with other excuses.

With SF4 doing so well on the 3DS, I wonder if Capcom will try porting MvC3 to it.

sfried
656th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Capcom Captivate" , posted Fri 15 Apr 09:42post reply

quote:
With SF4 doing so well on the 3DS, I wonder if Capcom will try porting MvC3 to it.

I'd like to see SSF4Arcade 3DEd DLC first. Common May update!

mbisonhatclub
282th Post

PSN: hadoolket

Copper Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):Capcom Captivate" , posted Fri 15 Apr 10:44post reply

quote:

Am I the only one who thinks that Arcade Edition is the single most stupid name for a console game?
You missed a spot

join the m.bison hat club today
i'm not just the president i'm also a client

GekigangerV
1693th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Capcom Captivate" , posted Fri 15 Apr 11:27post reply

quote:

Wow, that is horrible if true. MK9 is going to squash any future sales and will more than likely sell more than 3 million copies.

Grave
1367th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Capcom Captivate" , posted Fri 15 Apr 12:28post reply

quote:

Honestly, I'd even buy a "lite" MvC3 for 3DS, like those toned-down PS1 versions of the old vs. games. I'm really impressed by Capcom's work with SSF4 3D Edition and it has a pick-up-and-play quality the console version never did for me. I can pull my 3DS out of sleep and enjoy some (surprisingly smooth) online matches on breaks at work with almost no effort at all.

Keep in mind that I'm not exactly a huge SF4 fan and I'm not exactly Capcom's biggest fan either... so that's saying a lot! It's a great release and I'd love for them to do something with MvC3 for it, since MvC3 was yet another terribly pleasant surprise from them.

I'm actually really pumped for RE The Mercenaries 3D and Operation Raccoon City for the real consoles. God damn it Capcom, why do you always pull me back?!