Wine&Food - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1916 Views )

kofoguz
889th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Wine&Food" , posted Mon 14 Mar 10:21:post reply

Ok, I need MMcafe's elitism and I need it bad.
I need to prepare a homework/presentation about the subject. So I need other culture's eating habits and wine of choice.
I'm planning to use this thread and the answers as interviews from the guys who discuss the best brand of pasta for pages. I believe this is the one of the places that culturally diversed. Lots of international members. Can you guys help me about this?

Can you lead me to the good sources and express your personal preferences for the taste and wine pairing? Anything would help.I know google is a help but even greater help is the advices of individuals.

Thanks in advance.

[this message was edited by kofoguz on Mon 14 Mar 11:37]

Replies:

Professor
2978th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):Wine&Food" , posted Mon 14 Mar 10:52post reply

quote:
I need to prepare a homework/presentation about the subject. So I need other culture's eating habits and wine of choice.
I'm planning to use this thread and the answers as interviews from the guys who discuss the best brand of pasta for pages. I believe this is the one of the places that culturally diversed. Lots of international members. Can you guys help me about this?

Can you lead me to the good sources and express your personal preferences for the taste and wine pairing? Anything would help.I know google is a help but even greater help is the advices of individuals.

Thanks in advance.

Do you mean like other country's foods that go well with wine? Like for instance, Bekkou Tamago (miso pickled egg yolks) or Karasumi are great choices to go with red wine. Sea Urchin is good with white.

Toxico
5275th Post

PSN: Toxic-Baron
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Wine&Food" , posted Mon 14 Mar 10:53post reply

quote:

Well, it really depends on the type of info you are looking for. There is basically some very "formal" ways to include wine within dinner which are very complicated and I'm not really familiar with.

Outside that there are less formal ways to "prepare" wine with things, for example Manzanas Asadas (roasted apples in white wine, you can use pears as well), Vino y Miel (Honey wine) which is basically a "dense", "sweet" variation of wine; there are also more things that don't qualify as desserts and are less formals meals, such as estofado al vino tinto (a meat stew which is cooked with wine; many cultures have more and less formal variations of this).

.... I'll need some time to find Engrish equivalent of these.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Update 23 as of 25/10/10 (Temporary mega upload link).

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 22 as of 10/01/11

kofoguz
888th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(2):Wine&Food" , posted Mon 14 Mar 11:21post reply

quote:
Do you mean like other country's foods that go well with wine? Like for instance, Bekkou Tamago (miso pickled egg yolks) or Karasumi are great choices to go with red wine. Sea Urchin is good with white.

Not just that but also the general nature of relationship between wine and the kitchen you guys familiar with. For example where does wine stand in Japanese cuisine Professor?

quote:
Well, it really depends on the type of info you are looking for. There is basically some very "formal" ways to include wine within dinner which are very complicated and I'm not really familiar with.

Outside that there are less formal ways to "prepare" wine with things, for example Manzanas Asadas (roasted apples in white wine, you can use pears as well), Vino y Miel (Honey wine) which is basically a "dense", "sweet" variation of wine; there are also more things that don't qualify as desserts and are less formals meals, such as estofado al vino tinto (a meat stew which is cooked with wine; many cultures have more and less formal variations of this).

.... I'll need some time to find Engrish equivalent of these.

Yeah any information is good but mainly I'm wondering of general preference of wine with/and the food you/your country/culture consumed.
Also it would help if you add your nation or the place you live, your age, and the gender etc. (if those are not secret for the sake of mysterious membership, you know who). Think this some kind of survey/interview. All the helps are eternally appreciated.

Professor
2981th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):Wine&Food" , posted Mon 14 Mar 12:19:post reply

quote:

Not just that but also the general nature of relationship between wine and the kitchen you guys familiar with. For example where does wine stand in Japanese cuisine Professor?

Well, are we talking about alcohol beverages here or wine in particular? Wine is mostly a Western hemisphere thing, other countries usually have their own different kind of hard drink.

Like for example, Japan has Sake, which is usually enjoyed by the sip. Its flavor is mild so the food matched with it is usually relatively mild as well, such as soba noodles. (Technically, it's rice wine.)

As for wine, it's the same in Japan as other regions and available both in low and high class. Usually served as an aperitif if eating out. *Not* served when eating Japanese food, though people freely do so at the confort of their own homes.

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 14 Mar 14:40]

Oroch
1113th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(4):Wine&Food" , posted Wed 16 Mar 03:39post reply

quote:

Well, are we talking about alcohol beverages here or wine in particular? Wine is mostly a Western hemisphere thing, other countries usually have their own different kind of hard drink.

Like for example, Japan has Sake, which is usually enjoyed by the sip. Its flavor is mild so the food matched with it is usually relatively mild as well, such as soba noodles. (Technically, it's rice wine.)

As for wine, it's the same in Japan as other regions and available both in low and high class. Usually served as an aperitif if eating out. *Not* served when eating Japanese food, though people freely do so at the confort of their own homes.

sake is more like a beer actually

karasu99
566th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris
Wii: n/a

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(5):Wine&Food" , posted Wed 16 Mar 05:32post reply

quote:

sake is more like a beer actually

Yah, but still quite distinct from both beer and wine. I think if I had to choose what it is closest to, it would be beer though.

Well then I will make that my contribution to the food and wine thread despite the above distinction, since I hardly drink wine, and when I do I find I have little taste for what's good and what's not. My pairing would be Watari Bune '55' Junmai Ginjo sake served very cold with a lighter fried dish, like a vegetable tempura or better yet kimchi kara-age. I always find the combination to be remarkable and I could probably eat and drink that combination daily.