For fighting game players- Test your Reflexes - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (6633 Views )

Professor
2935th Post

user profileedit/delete message

MMCafe Owner

"For fighting game players- Test your Reflexes" , posted Mon 31 Jan 18:05:post reply

Since the current fighting game trend is amazingly still alive--

How fast is your visual reflex speed? Test it Here. (mirror)

Give it a few tries and figure out your consistant average. Any figure below 0.100 second should be considered a lucky guess since the human body can't react that fast.

Calculating to Frames
1 frame = 0.017 seconds (or more accurately 0.0166666...)
For reference, there's a quick-chart at the end of this post.
If you're doing this test with a LCD screen, they have at least 1 frame of latency so take away 0.017 from your result.

For example, if your average reflex speed is 0.200 seconds, that means that you can usually react at about the speed of 12 frames when you're concentrating. Of course playing an actual game is different than looking at a single colored dot so give it, say, an additional 0.05 seconds (3 frames) to 0.2 seconds (12 frames) for a more realistic figure.

Once you've figured out your raw reflex speed and you want to see how it compares to playing an actual game, try these theree examples below. The Millia test in particular should come in handy as reference to how fast you can react in a normal game situation.

Spoon's friend's Millia checker
Sheep Asleep
Bullet Dodging

Quickchart (Seconds - Frames)

0.100 - 060.112 - 070.133 - 080.150 - 090.166 - 100.183 - 11
0.200 - 120.217 - 130.233 - 140.250 - 150.266 - 160.283 - 17
0.300 - 180.316 - 190.333 - 200.350 - 210.366 - 220.383 - 23
0.400 - 240.416 - 250.433 - 260.450 - 270.466 - 280.483 - 29
0.500 - 30

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 4 Feb 13:34]

Replies:

Iggy
9224th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):For fighting game players- Test your Re" , posted Mon 31 Jan 21:57post reply

Interesting links !
I rate at 2.06 in the first one, and unsurprisingly, slightly higher in the two games...

It probably means I will never play Viper efficiently.

Spoon
2105th Post

"Re(2):For fighting game players- Test your Re" , posted Mon 31 Jan 22:59post reply

One of the problems with pure reflex tests is that the situation requires minimal cognition; it's a binary "is it there yes/no" situation. Fighting games greatly complicate the matter not just because of the need to parse out the function from the noise (just what is he doing?), followed by the need to determine the appropriate action (do I block/backdash/dp/walkforward/super/WAIT/etc.), followed by the need to execute that action (which may need to be delayed in order for the action to be effective like a tripguard AA, or which has to take into account how certain options become ineffective as time passes, like Guile's cr.HP once the jump-in is close enough). All of those delays result in reaction time that is often much slower than the pure one.

A common example is that Millia's 6K in GG is really, really hard to block on reaction. It has a startup of 25 frames, and if the game is going by 60FPS, that means you have nearly half a second (.42s) to react to it. Still, even good players get hit by this move all the time.

Here's something a friend of mine made to illustrate that issue:
http://www.teyah.com/milliablocker.html

All it does is test if you can block Millia's overheads on reaction. In a real match, you'd also have to constantly worry about her throwing you, and since throws have a 1F startup in GG... it's not something you can easily react to.

Professor
2929th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):For fighting game players- Test your Re" , posted Mon 31 Jan 23:48:post reply

quote:
One of the problems with pure reflex tests is that the situation requires minimal cognition; it's a binary "is it there yes/no" situation. Fighting games greatly complicate the matter not just because of the need to parse out the function from the noise (just what is he doing?)

That's very true, and one of the reasons why fighting games are so fun. A simple reflex test like the one above won't nessesarily tell you how quickly you can react on multi-decision situations. Experience, mind reading, and luck also become important factors.

Still, the test gives you a fundamental idea of your reaction time, and there should be quite a number of occasions where its knowledge would come convenient. If you're awaiting the opponent after a shikomi/stick-motion-buffer for example, or say simply when the opponent's done a fast jump. If you couldn't hit the opponent, were you just not concentrating, or is it simply that your reflexes are slow? Knowing that can immensely help.

[Edit] The Millia test is indeed hard! I'm getting between 20 - 28 frames with a 25 average so that'd mean I'd get hit. It's a great practical tester, I'll add it in to the original post- thanks'.

[this message was edited by Professor on Tue 1 Feb 09:50]

KTallguy
1302th Post

PSN: Hunter-KT
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(4):For fighting game players- Test your Re" , posted Tue 1 Feb 12:14post reply

That Millia test is really hard...
I think I'm getting old.

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

sfried
624th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(5):For fighting game players- Test your Re" , posted Tue 1 Feb 13:37post reply

Maou
2148th Post

"Re(6):For fighting game players- Test your Re" , posted Tue 1 Feb 14:41post reply

Alas, .26, a mere 16-19fps. I have shamed my dojo.

And here I was chalking up my less-stellar-than-the-past SSFIV performance yesterday on the awful PS3 controller...

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

KTallguy
1304th Post

PSN: Hunter-KT

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(7):For fighting game players- Test your Re" , posted Tue 1 Feb 16:04:post reply

Maybe that's why I'm enjoying Last Window so much, there are no reflex challenges :p

I did get 0.22 or something, I think.
But the GGX one is just ugh... I can do it but I really have to sit and concentrate.

Just tested now and I'm getting a 0.213 average.
The problem with the Milia one is that sometimes she does the hop into the low hit... totally drives me nuts....

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

[this message was edited by KTallguy on Wed 2 Feb 18:50]

Digitalboy
727th Post

PSN: n/a
XBL: JestingGenie99(automatednamecreatedbyXBL)

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(8):For fighting game players- Test your Re" , posted Tue 1 Feb 16:23post reply

I suck.

Average came out to: >.5xx.

I do NOT need some colourful dots to tell me whether I will put up a fight or fall into a fetus postion.

quote:
Maybe that's why I'm enjoying Last Window so much, there are no reflex challenges :p

I did get 0.22 or something, I think.
But the GGX one is just ugh... I can do it but I really have to sit and concentrate.

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

Professor
2932th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(9):For fighting game players- Test your Re" , posted Wed 2 Feb 07:33:post reply

I forgot to write this and I've just added a small note to the top-- don't forget that there's screen latenency if you're using an LCD, usually at least 1 frame. So in that case, take away 0.017 seconds.

If you're getting a huge difference with the last big dot, it means that you have potential to get faster. Give it a few more tries see if things improve!

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 2 Feb 07:56]

Nekros
340th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(10):For fighting game players- Test your R" , posted Thu 3 Feb 22:02:post reply

0.267 here...but using LCD monitor and a sloppy touchpad, so I guess I could be better.

[this message was edited by Nekros on Fri 4 Feb 00:34]

mbisonhatclub
264th Post

PSN: hadoolket

Copper Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):For fighting game players- Test " , posted Fri 4 Feb 13:59post reply

here is my reaction time

ignore the third one, that was a mishap, the average is actually .198

join the m.bison hat club today
i'm not just the president i'm also a client

Maou
2150th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):For fighting game players- Test" , posted Fri 4 Feb 14:12post reply

quote:
[URL
ignore the third one, that was a mishap, the average is actually .198

I always knew I had to watch out for evil dictator Vega M. Bison and his hats. If I ever get around to buying something newer than a DS rather than just bumming SF games offa my friends, I can't wait to get pummeled by you.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Gojira
2699th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
Wii: 80085

"Re(4):Re(10):For fighting game players- Test" , posted Fri 4 Feb 19:28:post reply

I did the test at work, averaged .281, couldn't bring it up. That was depressing.

Then realized I hadn't tried it at home, so I did and averaged .196 pretty consistently.

It's a bit of a relief since the below-average ratings made me think I was losing my motor functions. Still, quite a dramatic difference there.

[this message was edited by Gojira on Fri 4 Feb 19:30]

Kane317
23th Post

New Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):For fighting game players- Test" , posted Sat 5 Feb 08:03post reply

quote:
I did the test at work, averaged .281, couldn't bring it up. That was depressing.

Then realized I hadn't tried it at home, so I did and averaged .196 pretty consistently.

It's a bit of a relief since the below-average ratings made me think I was losing my motor functions. Still, quite a dramatic difference there.

Played it several times: The average time out of all the 5 times I recorded was .204. My lowest single time was .155 and my lowest average of a single game was .188.

www.youtube.com/kane317

Catalyst
471th Post

PSN: blitzrush85

Gold Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):For fighting game players- Test" , posted Mon 7 Feb 08:31post reply

After a series of testing my best results are

.192, .192, .218, .179, .193

Overall avg: .194

I remember seeing this reaction game a while while back. Can't remember where though.

sfried
625th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(7):Re(10):For fighting game players- Test" , posted Mon 7 Feb 10:40post reply

.224 was my best. .207 if you take into account LCD lag.

Professor
2940th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(8):Re(10):For fighting game players- Test" , posted Thu 10 Feb 20:46:post reply

I tried the test again, this time on a CRT and PS/2 (non-USB) mouse. Six consecutive tries, averaged results were .180. With the Millia test it was 24.

Conclusion: Hardware makes a huge difference! Some LCDs probably have 2-4 frames of latency.

[this message was edited by Professor on Thu 10 Feb 22:08]