iPhone/Android games/apps thread - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2574 Views )

shin ramberk
381th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Silver Customer

"iPhone/Android games/apps thread" , posted Fri 10 Dec 09:32post reply

I think its been a while since we've had a thread for this (maybe we've never had one). Regardless, please post your favorite iPhone/Android games and apps.

I'll start off right now by saying that I am addicted to the game "Words with Friends". Its a very simple scrabble clone with some social-gaming features.

My other frequent and favorite apps are:
iFitness: it helps you keep track of your exercise routine.
Public Radio: For listening to NPR. Free!
iCommute SF: For catching the bus in San Francisco/Bay Area.
At Bat Lite: For reading baseball sports scores.

Oh and please post what device and operating system you are using. I am using a iPhone 3G with iOS 4.2. I used to have a 3GS but I lost it :(

http://ramberk.blogspot.com

Replies:

karasu99
480th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris
Wii: n/a

Gold Customer

"Re(1):iPhone/Android games/apps thread" , posted Sat 11 Dec 03:01post reply

quote:
I think its been a while since we've had a thread for this (maybe we've never had one). Regardless, please post your favorite iPhone/Android games and apps.

I have quite a few that I like, and they are (SHOCK) mostly games. On my iPhone 4 (w/iOS 4.2) right now and of interest:

Pacman CE
Espgaluda II
Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu
Moonlight Mahjong
Shibuya
Kometen
Canabalt
Gravity Hook
Ghosts n' Goblins Gold Knights
Space Invaders Infinity Gene

...and one non-game I will recommend, SoundHound. I don't keep track of music, so if I hear something I like, it is nice to be able to (maybe) identify it.

I would love to play some with Android, but sadly most of the devices are wildly non-standard (in a way that makes developing for it difficult) and the non-phone devices seem cheap to me.

For a long time I felt as though some games just weren't great fits of mobile devices, but I have to say I have come around almost 180 degrees to that stance-- especially after seeing how good some joystick games can be (like Pacman).

Digitalboy
713th Post

PSN: n/a
XBL: JestingGenie99(automatednamecreatedbyXBL)

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(2):iPhone/Android games/apps thread" , posted Sat 11 Dec 03:14:post reply

For phone/text messages/internet on the go I use Android.

For Android:
Angry Birds
PSXdroid(!)

***EDIT***

I forgot the most important reason why I love my Android:
Metal Slug live wallpaper.
It is your wallpaper and a game all in one! Thanks to whoever made the excellent wallpaper.
An extra BIG thanks to SNK Playmore for giving us the Metal Slug series.

***End of Edit***

For idevices:
Minigore
Cut the Rope
Dead Or Alive Blackjack Kasumi/Rio (DOA BJ...honestly!)

quote:

I have quite a few that I like, and they are (SHOCK) mostly games. On my iPhone 4 (w/iOS 4.2) right now and of interest:

Pacman CE
Espgaluda II
Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu
Moonlight Mahjong
Shibuya
Kometen
Canabalt
Gravity Hook
Ghosts n' Goblins Gold Knights
Space Invaders Infinity Gene

...and one non-game I will recommend, SoundHound. I don't keep track of music, so if I hear something I like, it is nice to be able to (maybe) identify it.

I would love to play some with Android, but sadly most of the devices are wildly non-standard (in a way that makes developing for it difficult) and the non-phone devices seem cheap to me.

For a long time I felt as though some games just weren't great fits of mobile devices, but I have to say I have come around almost 180 degrees to that stance-- especially after seeing how good some joystick games can be (like Pacman).

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

[this message was edited by Digitalboy on Sat 11 Dec 03:40]

Grave
1371th Post

PSN: Drakee
XBL: Mikelson

Red Carpet Executive Member

"HERE COMES DAREDEVIL" , posted Tue 17 May 10:35post reply

Working in secondhand electronics has it perks, and I recently found myself an owner of a 64GB iPad at an insane price. So in addition to my Android phone, I now have iOS in my daily life as well. Fun!

Here's what I've been digging so far:
Road Blaster HD: Thanks again to Badoor for pointing out that this existed! Road Avenger was my most coveted FMV game growing up, the animation looked amazing to me but I never got to try it out. For 99 cents it was too good to pass up. The iOS port's touch control seems a little bit dicey but shockingly enough, the tilting is pretty responsive. Loving the look of the game.

Fruit Ninja HD: Same Fruit Ninja as before, only bigger! Halfbrick makes quality games for pretty much every major mobile platform now.

Korg iMS-20: If you enjoyed DS-10 but wished there was more of it, you should probably get this! Amazing app, still learning a lot about what it can do. Picked up iElectribe as well but that's been a little less straightforward so far.

Playing a little bit of Infinity Blade now, too early to say how I feel for sure but it seems really cool. Very impressive 3D for the hardware.

Wish the Cave games had proper iPad versions but I'll probably end up picking them up anyway. The FF3 DS port is very expensive but looks gorgeous. Anyone play it yet?

Also looking for recommendations on an IM client. IM+ is fine but I don't want to pick up the paid version quite yet. Everyone tells me Beejive is really good but there's no trial and it's $6. Urgh.

All in all, very cool device - not gonna replace every device you own, but I'm finding tablet computing a lot nicer than I expected. I'll get to see how cool it is for sure when I go out of town for a week with it as my sole computer! I think it'll be fine but we'll see.

quote:

True on both counts. Only now are we seeing tablets of any real quality on Android, but in the case of the Xoom they're way too damn expensive and in the case of the Eee Transformer they made about 6 of them and you can't buy it anywhere. I think it'll be a while before Android catches up with the iPad, but it's only a matter of time until it overtakes it in terms of functionality.

While Android does make things a lot more complicated at times and its market is inferior in some ways, the amount of freedom it gives you in exchange for that is totally worth it to me. I still have the original Motorola Droid on Verizon and I'm running newer system software than a great number of new phones releasing presently. Not only that, it was almost effortless to overclock with minimal effect on heat and battery life - it's performing like a new phone and should work like a champ until the end of my contract.

Digitalboy
741th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):HERE COMES DAREDEVIL" , posted Tue 17 May 11:30post reply

Sweet. How much did you pay? That is if you do not mind me asking.
quote:
...I recently found myself an owner of a 64GB iPad at an insane price. So in addition to my Android phone, I now have iOS in my daily life as well. Fun!

Infinity Blade is...okay. Just like you said, it is visually stunning but as far as controls and re-playability is limited.

Final Fantasy III is an exact port of the DS game with much more texture smoothing. If you do not have a DS port of this game buy it. If you already own one, Square-Enix will still expect you to buy another copy of their games.

Speaking of which: Chrono Trigger should be coming out for the idevices too.
quote:
...Infinity Blade...FF3 DS port is very expensive...

Manufacturers of Android tablets are making great tablets. But how much longer until we will see FRAGMENTED tablets just like their phones?

Great specs but real shitty updates schedules per manufacturer.

I don't know how to live

Badoor
195th Post

PSN: BadoorSNK
XBL: BadoorSNK

Regular Customer

"Re(1):HERE COMES DAREDEVIL" , posted Tue 17 May 23:56post reply

quote:
Here's what I've been digging so far:
Road Blaster HD: Thanks again to Badoor for pointing out that this existed! Road Avenger was my most coveted FMV game growing up, the animation looked amazing to me but I never got to try it out. For 99 cents it was too good to pass up. The iOS port's touch control seems a little bit dicey but shockingly enough, the tilting is pretty responsive. Loving the look of the game.
No problem. Everything's Fine.
I'm really loving Road Blaster. It's a lot of fun.I'd say that it is now my 2nd favorite FMV game ever (After Mad Dog McRee ofcourse). I prefer the tilt controls to the touch in it since "precise steering" isn't really a concern. Plus, the added physical movement sort of replicates the original arcade experience. Data East's other FMV classic, Cobra Command, is also on iOS though I haven't checked that out yet so it could be a bad port.

Lately, I've been using my iPhone4 to do other non-gaming stuff. Things like the usual social stuff or watching anime like Urasawa's MONSTER, or just do some writings for work. Most of what I would've recommend had been already told but right now that last 2 games I played were HotSpringStory, the pseudo-sequal to GameDevStory. And Spirits, a cool looking Lemmings-esque type of game.

Grave
1372th Post

"Re(2):HERE COMES DAREDEVIL" , posted Wed 18 May 12:04post reply

quote:
Sweet. How much did you pay? That is if you do not mind me asking.

~$350 out of pocket for a 64gb iPad 1 and the official cover after employee discount and a few tradeins of games I was done with and an ancient iPod shuffle. Very pleased!

quote:
Manufacturers of Android tablets are making great tablets. But how much longer until we will see FRAGMENTED tablets just like their phones?

Great specs but real shitty updates schedules per manufacturer.

That's pretty much it - I won't buy an Android device unless I know the bootloader is unlocked and that there are custom roms to choose from. For many of my customers it's not an issue, they don't care what version of Android they have or what overlay is on it as long as it works. For someone like me who is irritated by manufacturers adding skins that slow their phones down etc, it's very important. Unfortunately it's in the best interests of the manufacturers and the carriers to deny you access to features that they could very well charge you for. Frustrating.

(un)Interesting note on customer confusion - today a woman brought in the development version of the G1/HTC Dream and had no idea what it was. She just thought she had a regular T-Mobile model rather than a factory-unlocked one that commands a higher price. Nobody else knew what it was but me and I felt important because we always need more unlocked phones in stock~

KTallguy
1315th Post

PSN: Hunter-KT
XBL: n/a

"Re(3):HERE COMES DAREDEVIL" , posted Wed 18 May 18:15post reply

The sad thing is that I enjoy games like Ghost Trick and Phoenix Wright on iPhone FAR FAR more than any native iPhone game.

And the sadder thing is that really stellar games like these are 99% ports. No one wants to make games for the platform that are more than glorified time wasters. That depresses me to no end. I want innovative, cool games like Ghost Trick to be on the platform, but unfortunately they cost money to develop, so they have to be offset by a DS/PSP release first.

Again, terrible, terrible depression because of this. If all handheld gaming moves to smart phones and people have to sell everything for a buck, I will really be depressed. 13-15 bucks for an iphone port of Ghost Trick or Phoenix Wright is totally reasonable because the games are so good (and before they were 25-30 bucks for Christ's sake!!) But people just look at a game like that and immediately think "too expensive", so there you go. We've fucked ourselves as an industry, painting ourselves into a bite-sized fast food price point.

Capcom is trying a little. They released a game called Edo-tantei (江戸探偵), which is a Phoenix Wright clone about a 17 year old kid that time-slips to Edo Japan and plays detective. But fuck me if the story isn't some bullshit shounen manga crap. Phoenix Wright is interesting precisely because the character is a little older and not some boring ass highschooler who constantly lacks confidence and all those stupid Japanese tropes. The game's writing and story is just so banal, I would rather play a 5 year old semi-crappy port of the DS Phoenix Wright than a game optimized for iOS. Get it together, Capcom.

Anyway I like some iOS only games (Sword and Sorcery was fun), but most of the time it's just boring time waster stuff which is fun, but doesn't scratch that particular itch. Blah blah anyway </rant>

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

Grave
1373th Post

"Re(4):HERE COMES DAREDEVIL" , posted Thu 19 May 00:36post reply

quote:
And the sadder thing is that really stellar games like these are 99% ports.
Again, terrible, terrible depression because of this. If all handheld gaming moves to smart phones and people have to sell everything for a buck, I will really be depressed. 13-15 bucks for an iphone port of Ghost Trick or Phoenix Wright is totally reasonable because the games are so good (and before they were 25-30 bucks for Christ's sake!!) But people just look at a game like that and immediately think "too expensive", so there you go. We've fucked ourselves as an industry, painting ourselves into a bite-sized fast food price point.

I agree that there's a problem here but I don't necessarily agree that shutting up and paying whatever we're told is the solution. Sometimes you get a great port. FF3 looks like one of those. More often than not, for cell phone games, and by extension, tablet games, you're getting something halfassed and shoved out the door for a quick buck. Until that changes, my feelings won't change.

And sure, maybe these DS games were $30 on release, but what about now? FF3 can be had easily for under $10, and the DS version will work on any DS hardware - the same can't be said of a lot of these games. Make them all universal. If I ever get an iPhone, the $17 FF3 won't work there and I'd have to buy the $14 iPhone one as well. Kinda shitty. But it's Squeenix so nobody is surprised. I'll try to compose my thoughts on this more eloquently when I'm not on a bus to NYC, I guess!

karasu99
622th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(4):HERE COMES DAREDEVIL" , posted Thu 19 May 02:20post reply

quote:

And the sadder thing is that really stellar games like these are 99% ports.

On the other end of the spectrum...

I have quite a few opinions on the question of iOS game quality and the cavalcade of ports, but sadly NO TIME at the moment. Also, I smile each time I read the subject line of this thread.

oh my
11th Post

New Customer

"Re(5):HERE COMES DAREDEVIL" , posted Thu 19 May 03:30post reply

This type games arent too bad, my sister is kind of hook up with them. She likes angry bird a lot. In my case I don't know but I prefer complex games in which you can notice the developers effort, dedication and investment anyway I am not kind of fan.

Now she got devil may cry 4 In her IPod and it really looks good. Well like any small ver games is kind of poor and the environment empty but is cool for people who never played it or if the platform ver is kind of complex. I don't know it is because of her device performance but is kind of slow and while I play the battery run out fast. But I like the music and sound effects it involves me.

But is true people can make money making this repetive type of games. I couldnt believe her latest posetion, the annoying orange game hehe what a crap. She got it because she really like the series. I just look at the iPod and see that orange face it makes me laugh.

what?

Digitalboy
742th Post

"Re(6):HERE COMES DAREDEVIL" , posted Mon 30 May 10:40post reply

Hey Grave!

Since you are familiar with the rooting process for the Android OS.

I have a mytouch 3G and the G1 that I would like to root.

I have researched it back and forth and cannot be reassured that the process will go smoothly. The very last thing I want is a bricked phone.

Can you share your knowledge with me?

I don't know how to live

Oroch
1115th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(6):HERE COMES DAREDEVIL" , posted Tue 31 May 04:29post reply

quote:
This type games arent too bad, my sister is kind of hook up with them. She likes angry bird a lot. In my case I don't know but I prefer complex games in which you can notice the developers effort, dedication and investment anyway I am not kind of fan.

Now she got devil may cry 4 In her IPod and it really looks good. Well like any small ver games is kind of poor and the environment empty but is cool for people who never played it or if the platform ver is kind of complex. I don't know it is because of her device performance but is kind of slow and while I play the battery run out fast. But I like the music and sound effects it involves me.

But is true people can make money making this repetive type of games. I couldnt believe her latest posetion, the annoying orange game hehe what a crap. She got it because she really like the series. I just look at the iPod and see that orange face it makes me laugh.

rovio(angry birds developer) has been around for a while, since the early days of symbian, they've put in their dues, its good to see them with some success

Grave
1374th Post

"Re(7):HERE COMES DAREDEVIL" , posted Tue 31 May 08:34post reply

All I really know is what I've done for my own hardware and things I've picked up when difficult situations crop up at work, which they certainly do from time to time... so unfortunately I can't advise regarding specific methods for these two phones. However, if they work via SuperOneClick, I definitely recommend it. That's what I used for my Moto Droid and had no problems whatsoever. Took a few tries to get it to take, but then I had root access and running custom roms was as simple as installing ROM Manager and downloading them.

There's always a potential risk of bricking your phone or causing damage if something goes wrong in the process - would definitely read up on the XDA Developers forum before you decide to do anything. If you do decide to do anything let me know how it goes. Good luck!
quote:
Hey Grave!

I have researched it back and forth and cannot be reassured that the process will go smoothly. The very last thing I want is a bricked phone.

Oroch
1116th Post

"Re(8):HERE COMES DAREDEVIL" , posted Tue 31 May 09:08post reply

quote:
All I really know is what I've done for my own hardware and things I've picked up when difficult situations crop up at work, which they certainly do from time to time... so unfortunately I can't advise regarding specific methods for these two phones. However, if they work via SuperOneClick, I definitely recommend it. That's what I used for my Moto Droid and had no problems whatsoever. Took a few tries to get it to take, but then I had root access and running custom roms was as simple as installing ROM Manager and downloading them.

There's always a potential risk of bricking your phone or causing damage if something goes wrong in the process - would definitely read up on the XDA Developers forum before you decide to do anything. If you do decide to do anything let me know how it goes. Good luck!
Hey Grave!

aye superoneclick will work for them

Oh my
55th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):iPhone/Android games/apps thread" , posted Tue 16 Aug 10:16post reply

quote:
post your favorite iPhone/Android games

Anybody likes 1st person shooter? because N.O.V.A. Is GOOD. Crappy name crappy presentation. But when I realize, damn, I am playing on a iPod, I said wow. It was funny when I try to adapt to the controller because of my left status. I look like a retarded moving around with that thing, lovely.

what?

Oroch
1117th Post

"Re(2):iPhone/Android games/apps thread" , posted Sat 20 Aug 04:34post reply

quote:
post your favorite iPhone/Android games

Anybody likes 1st person shooter? because N.O.V.A. Is GOOD. Crappy name crappy presentation. But when I realize, damn, I am playing on a iPod, I said wow. It was funny when I try to adapt to the controller because of my left status. I look like a retarded moving around with that thing, lovely.

nova 2 is out, "HD" version if you've got a tegra2 device

Oh my
56th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):iPhone/Android games/apps thread" , posted Thu 25 Aug 04:32post reply

quote:
nova 2 is out, "HD" version if you've got a tegra2 device

I hope my device had it; I think it does, because the game looks better than ever!!! I found funny in the jungle area how they create the background with a mountain photo. It was like looking at my backyard.

Too bad the online gaming wasn’t as cool as I expected and I don’t know why I got disconnected often and there is not fun of being on a field shooting like crazy with a static animated character.

what?

holiday
2605th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(4):iPhone/Android games/apps thread" , posted Thu 15 Dec 09:41post reply

I've been playing Deathsmiles on the iPhone to bits. The exclusive iPhone mode is fun and adds a lot to the original game.
Playing shmups on touchscreens sounds iffy to control, but I find it easy as your character moves as fast as your finger = super speed maneuvers.

Mushihimesama Bug Panic is kinda fun too.

karasu99
807th Post

"Re(5):iPhone/Android games/apps thread" , posted Thu 15 Dec 22:25post reply

quote:
I've been playing Deathsmiles on the iPhone to bits. The exclusive iPhone mode is fun and adds a lot to the original game.
Playing shmups on touchscreens sounds iffy to control, but I find it easy as your character moves as fast as your finger = super speed maneuvers.

Mushihimesama Bug Panic is kinda fun too.

Now since someone has invoked Cave I need to speak up here too! Dodonpachi Dai-Fukkatsu for iOS is really well done too! It even has the secret bosses like in the arcade and X360 versions!

Also, speaking of Bug Panic, 'real' Mushihimesama (I think they're renaming it for the US market as just 'Bug Princess', and I'm pretty sure it's the first game, not Futari) is out now too! I think I'm going to give it a try given how good the rest of them are.

www.secret-arts.com