So...Mortal Kombat 9 (2011) - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (13062 Views )

ZamIAm
1777th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"So...Mortal Kombat 9 (2011)" , posted Sat 9 Oct 07:34post reply

Anyone interested in it? I'm simultaneously hyped for it yet trying to be as pessimistic as possible. Seems like it has the potential to be a good game though knowing Midway it could be another Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe. Granted, I like MK vs DCU but it was glitchy and unbalanced. Supposedly, they have tech in place to more easily patch the game post release so the more glaring things from MK vs DCU don't stick again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1K0MfJcMBY

Replies:

Ishmael
3910th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(3):So...Mortal Kombat 9 (2011)" , posted Sat 9 Oct 10:51post reply

I'm not certain if things like balance are a big priority for the MK series. I'm not saying that as a negative, since the MK games seem to be designed with other ideas in mind. The latest MK appears to be built around showcasing brutal violence with a childish sense of glee. Because the MK titles are at their best when they pull that off this game looks to be on the right track.

It also helps that it looks like they trimmed fat off the roster. MK:Armageddon had a huge character select screen that was filled with row after row of nobodies. Who were half those people?

ZamIAm
1778th Post

"Re(4):So...Mortal Kombat 9 (2011)" , posted Sat 9 Oct 11:16post reply

quote:
It also helps that it looks like they trimmed fat off the roster. MK:Armageddon had a huge character select screen that was filled with row after row of nobodies. Who were half those people?

Many were newer characters from the 3D games. I have a feeling that most except for Quan Chi and maybe Kenshi are screwed at getting another chance. Plus, MK9 will probably still have "nobodies" since it'll be nearly everyone from UMK3. Hopefully a few get fleshed out since they tried to add more depth to Rain's backstory but dropped the ball as a whole for Armageddon. They've confimed 26 character but not everyone is known.

Roster confirmed so far:
Kung Lao
Mileena
Reptile
SubZero
Scorpion
Sektor
Nightwolf
Johnny Cage
Cyrax
Kitana
Jax (confirmed but no available renders/footage)
...someone else confirmed but I'm forgetting.

Also, Armageddon is still mostly canon. Supposedly the game starts right after Armageddon with the final fighters left being Shao Kahn and Raiden. Shao Kahn is about to strike the killing blow and Raiden manages to send a message to his past self in an attempt to prevent Armageddon. The story mode will be a remolded MK 1-3 with changed events so essentially it'll be Mortal Kombat: Crisis on Infinite Earthrealms.

Just a Person
1429th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(4):So...Mortal Kombat 9 (2011)" , posted Sat 9 Oct 13:08post reply

quote:
I'm not certain if things like balance are a big priority for the MK series. I'm not saying that as a negative, since the MK games seem to be designed with other ideas in mind. The latest MK appears to be built around showcasing brutal violence with a childish sense of glee. Because the MK titles are at their best when they pull that off this game looks to be on the right track.

Yeah, I know what you mean... most of the characters (or... kharacters?) added from MK4 on were pretty forgettable (Quan Chi, Kenshi and Li Mei being notable exceptions). MK 2011 (I refuse to call it MK9, since MKvsDC in my opinion is NOT MK8) is supposedly focused in the story and cast of the first three games, back when MK was a huge franchise, so it is a wise choice.

It seems MK 2011's plot is something like the Back To The Future movies (although certainly not as well-thought as them), with post-Armageddon Raiden sending MK1 Raiden a mental message warning him that the events that led to Armageddon will end up causing Shao Kahn to destroy everything and kill everyone, so MK1 Raiden will have to figure out how to prevent this future from happening.

The idea is interesting, and it could be very immersive if, instead of a linear plot, Boon allowed players to affect the way the story goes by taking certain decisions (for instance: kill old Shang Tsung or let him live), with multiple ending possibilities. I doubt that will happen, though.

Anyway, speaking of Mortal Kombat, have you guys read about the alleged Mortal Kombat HD Arcade Kollection? It sounds so unbelievable ambitious that seems almost impossible (refilming all actors' movements for THREE games and get them ready for November? Quite a tight deadline...), but I'd be a very happy person if it turns out to be true! If it's true, I'd say I'm more interesting in this "Kollection" than in MK 2011.

But I love MK anyway, so I'll surely pay attention to both.

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

ZamIAm
1779th Post

"So...Mortal Kombat 2011" , posted Sat 9 Oct 14:36post reply

The problem with the "forgettable" characters is that some of them had interesting koncepts that weren't fleshed out. For instance, I like Ashrah due to being intriguingly different. A Netherrealm demon who decided to repent and thus started slaying evil. Then it was heavily implied that the "holy" sword in her possession is cursed and may be more harm than good. Plus, covering up so much skin in comparison to other MK females gave her a drastic visual difference. But Armageddon's story didn't get finished within Armageddon itself.

In some ways, the Deadly Alliance/Deception/Armageddon arc mirrors SF3 in the attempt to try things drastically different in gameplay and storyline but wasn't as well received as the previous version. Then again, SF3 was better regarded for its gameplay than the 3D MK's and a few of the characters got appearances elsewhere that MK technically can't get due to being Midway's only fighting series.

jUAN
4547th Post

PSN: Buttermonster
XBL: Prepaidpenguin
Wii: rofl

"Re(1):So...Mortal Kombat 2011" , posted Sun 10 Oct 04:46post reply

quote:
The problem with the "forgettable" characters is that some of them had interesting koncepts that weren't fleshed out.

The problem with all of the characters after Mortal Kombat 1 is that they follow the art direction of 1990's Rob Liefeld comic books. They should have stuck with making the game a parody of old martial art movies like MK1 was.

All of the games are broken and unbalanced. They are mainly concerned with having moves that look TOTALLY RAD AND COOL, so you end up with a lot of useless characters and infinites.

Spoon
2025th Post

"Re(2):So...Mortal Kombat 2011" , posted Sun 10 Oct 07:01post reply

quote:
The problem with the "forgettable" characters is that some of them had interesting koncepts that weren't fleshed out.

The problem with all of the characters after Mortal Kombat 1 is that they follow the art direction of 1990's Rob Liefeld comic books. They should have stuck with making the game a parody of old martial art movies like MK1 was.

All of the games are broken and unbalanced. They are mainly concerned with having moves that look TOTALLY RAD AND COOL, so you end up with a lot of useless characters and infinites.

Hey now, MK2 was totally awesome.

MK3 is where things got weird... which is a weird thing to say, when describing MK, now that I think about it.

shin ramberk
372th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):So...Mortal Kombat 2011" , posted Sun 10 Oct 08:14post reply

I haven't played any of the 3D MKs, so I can't make any judgements on them but I do whole heartedly agree with Juan that the franchise should have remained a parody of kung fu films.

The first and second MK had, IMO, great atmosphere and presentation. MK1 had this cheap, indy film quality to its presentation. MK2 was a lot more polished but its feel was so strongly defined. It had a very intense (albeit cartoony) horror/martial arts/mythical feel to it.

With MK3 and UMK3 a lot of that strong voice in the presentation was thrown away. What happened? I think a lot of the characters in MK3/UMK3 were appropriate follow-ups in the franchise but a lot of magic was lost unfortunately. Sigh...

http://ramberk.blogspot.com

Just a Person
1431th Post

"Re(4):So...Mortal Kombat 2011" , posted Mon 11 Oct 20:08post reply

quote:
The first and second MK had, IMO, great atmosphere and presentation. MK1 had this cheap, indy film quality to its presentation. MK2 was a lot more polished but its feel was so strongly defined. It had a very intense (albeit cartoony) horror/martial arts/mythical feel to it.

With MK3 and UMK3 a lot of that strong voice in the presentation was thrown away. What happened? I think a lot of the characters in MK3/UMK3 were appropriate follow-ups in the franchise but a lot of magic was lost unfortunately. Sigh...

Like you said, the atmosphere is different: while the first two games had the said horror/martial arts/mythical feel to them, MK3/UMK3 is more about urban chaos, with most backgrounds representing a desolated city with this huge menacing castle in the middle of it. That change was also reflected in the characters (or... kharacters?), dressing less like martial artists and more like 1990s super-heroes or villains. Music also became more urban, although some of it was quite good (I love the music in the church stage, it sounds perfectly creepy).

In fact, although many people praise MKII as the best game of the series, I still prefer the first one. Although not as polished, it had a good number of extras like the Test Your Might minigame, the Endurance Matches and the surprise in the first fight against Goro, when after the third Endurance he would just fall next to the player's character, growl and start to attack, without a "Round 1" warning. MKII should have kept these little things.

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

Spoon
2029th Post

"Re(5):So...Mortal Kombat 2011" , posted Mon 11 Oct 23:19post reply

quote:
TEST YOUR MIGHT

I have to say, bonus stages and other things that are just fun and serve no purpose towards the competitive fighting experience are things that fighting games need more of.

Besides, how on earth would this song open without the memorable words TEST YOUR MIGHT?

karasu99
448th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

Gold Customer

"Re(6):So...Mortal Kombat 2011" , posted Wed 13 Oct 08:52post reply

quote:
I have to say, bonus stages and other things that are just fun and serve no purpose towards the competitive fighting experience are things that fighting games need more of.

Besides, how on earth would this song open without the memorable words TEST YOUR MIGHT?

I'm strangely excited about the new MK (and even more excited about that weird HD remake rumor/story/??? that was floating around.

When I could play it against friends or people of similar skill, MK/MKII were my go-to games back in the day for when the Neo Geo cabinet was broken or the Street Fighter II machine had too many people playing it, so I developed a grudging enjoyment of it.

I had a whole email filled with bile about MK as a series, but I realized that it was mostly directed toward the later parts of the series and some of the more irritating opponents I played against over the years, and that I had this weird anticipation. Yeah, the first MK was so goofy it was fun.

justicekyo
722th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(7):So...Mortal Kombat 2011" , posted Wed 13 Oct 13:01post reply

quote:

I'm strangely excited about the new MK (and even more excited about that weird HD remake rumor/story/??? that was floating around.

When I could play it against friends or people of similar skill, MK/MKII were my go-to games back in the day for when the Neo Geo cabinet was broken or the Street Fighter II machine had too many people playing it, so I developed a grudging enjoyment of it.

I had a whole email filled with bile about MK as a series, but I realized that it was mostly directed toward the later parts of the series and some of the more irritating opponents I played against over the years, and that I had this weird anticipation. Yeah, the first MK was so goofy it was fun.

"MK HD" package is true and coming soon.

nobinobita
826th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(7):So...Mortal Kombat 2011" , posted Wed 13 Oct 15:41post reply

quote:

When the first MK came out, I was an innocent, angry little kid, so I couldn't understand why people liked it. It was just so obviously hideous and dumb and distasteful.

Now that I'm older and have mellowed out, I really dig how MK is a goofy, earnest tribute to Chinese Kungfu flicks, particularly Godfrey Ho's AWESUM ninja movies from the 80s.

BRING ON THE HD REMAKE!

Also for the record, I did like MKII, which stands out to me as the only MK game that's kind of cool in a non ironic way.

www.art-eater.com

Just a Person
1433th Post

"Re(8):So...Mortal Kombat 2011" , posted Mon 18 Oct 00:04post reply

quote:
"MK HD" package is true and coming soon.

Really? But then Midway should have already released anything, right? Some screenshots, a press release, a trailer... if HD Kollection is to be released soon, it's really strange that no promotion has been made so far.

Well, I wonder if UMK3 will equally feature all stages this time. It sucked that although it had almost all the stages from regular MK3, almost all fights would take place in the five new ones, like if Ultimate had solely five backgrounds...

Just a Person
1434th Post

"Jax and the subway stage confirmed" , posted Fri 29 Oct 23:33post reply

At Gametrailers.

Mortal Kombat has always been a violent series, but since the first two games I've never felt so disturbed by the gore and the fatalities... Kung Lao's fatality makes me cover my eyes, and Sub-Zero's spine rip, while still not very realistic, is really disturbing as you see the facial expressions of the opponent, then his face covered in his own blood.

I never liked MK for its violence (the unusual characters were always what attracted me to the games), but whoever enjoys violence may finally enjoy MK again...

ZamIAm
1790th Post

"Re(1):Jax and the subway stage confirmed" , posted Sat 30 Oct 03:50post reply

quote:
At Gametrailers.

Mortal Kombat has always been a violent series, but since the first two games I've never felt so disturbed by the gore and the fatalities... Kung Lao's fatality makes me cover my eyes, and Sub-Zero's spine rip, while still not very realistic, is really disturbing as you see the facial expressions of the opponent, then his face covered in his own blood.

I never liked MK for its violence (the unusual characters were always what attracted me to the games), but whoever enjoys violence may finally enjoy MK again...

Jax is looking like he'll be fun to play with those OTG grapple combos.

As far as the gore, the series is known for it but that might be holding the series back. There tends to be more people wondering about what the next Fatality will be as opposed to tightening the engine or developing the characters. In fact, I've got a sneaking suspicion that Liu Kang won't be playable in this MK. His personality of being a pacifist monk runs counter to the hyper violence of the series. While I think it's a good thing since it makes him contrast, it runs counter to the team's goals.

Just a Person
1435th Post

"Re(2):Jax and the subway stage confirmed" , posted Sun 31 Oct 22:45post reply

quote:
Jax is looking like he'll be fun to play with those OTG grapple combos.

As far as the gore, the series is known for it but that might be holding the series back. There tends to be more people wondering about what the next Fatality will be as opposed to tightening the engine or developing the characters. In fact, I've got a sneaking suspicion that Liu Kang won't be playable in this MK. His personality of being a pacifist monk runs counter to the hyper violence of the series. While I think it's a good thing since it makes him contrast, it runs counter to the team's goals.

Well, Liu Kang was a pacifist in the first MK, but he became more violent in the later games... in MK3, he would even burn his opponent alive. I don't know, he is MK's main hero after all (even though MK Team seems to be pushing Raiden to this position now), not as popular as Sub-Zero and Scorpion, but still very popular.

Oh well, just give me Sonya and old Shang Tsung and I'll already be satisfied!

Ishmael
3925th Post

"Re(3):Jax O'Lantern" , posted Mon 1 Nov 07:41post reply

My guess the reason Liu Kang hasn't been shown is because they have yet to figure out how to render that amazing hair he had in the early MK games.

But I really doubt that Liu Kang is suddenly going to get squeamish about killing considering he was biting people in half as early as MK2. When I was messing around with a collection of Midway games I was surprised to see how many of them let me eat people as part of the gameplay. What was the deal with Midway's arcade games anyway?

Just a Person
1440th Post

"Sonya lost her shirt..." , posted Mon 22 Nov 14:16:post reply

...so she had to go to Mortal Kombat with nothing underneath her vest.

She looks hot, though. And feminine. Like one of the comments in this blog says, it's been a long time since MK Team rendered Sonya looking like a woman, instead of a man with breasts...

EDIT: more pictures of Sonya in MK 2011, from a Russian game magazine

[this message was edited by Just a Person on Fri 26 Nov 21:10]

GekigangerV
1663th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Store exclusive Fatalities and Kratos" , posted Wed 15 Dec 07:14post reply

Link Here

So in North America an old school ninja Kostumes and an old school fatality will be exclusive to three retailers

Gamestop - Scorpion
Best Buy - Sub-Zero
Amazon - Reptile

Kratos will be an exclusive Kharacter to the PS3 version of the game.

The link also has a look at the Kollectors edition and the arcade stick.

Can't say I am a fan of this store exclusive stuff, I know these will find their way to the PSN/XBL for a price.

Not as bad the the MvC3 situation IMO since these don't have an affect on gameplay, but I don't like the feeling that I am not getting the "complete" game when I pay for it new.

dr baghead
3794th Post

"Re(1):Store exclusive Fatalities and Kratos" , posted Thu 23 Dec 18:36post reply

quote:
Kratos will be an exclusive Kharacter to the PS3 version of the game.

I hope he's more fun to play as then in Soul Calibur 4

Blanka and Dan make for a most excellent tag image (yeah still not funny)
my silly little drawin's

Just a Person
1448th Post

"Sindel in da house..." , posted Thu 6 Jan 04:23post reply

Plus pictures of Jax, Kratos, Ermac and half-naked Sonya

Sindel looks like a mix of her MK3 and MK Deception looks. I like it. Ermac... not so much.

But was it necessary to leave Sonya almost topless and pantless when she suffers too much damage? Sure, hot women sell products, but it's still kinda sexist; I mean, female and gay players most likely won't get to see Johnny Cage only in his briefs, for instance...

GekigangerV
1673th Post

"New MK web series based on that one trailer" , posted Sun 16 Jan 02:35post reply

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/23052

Always nice to see more Michael Jai White (watch Black Dynamite if you haven't).

I wonder if they will keep that same look for Sub-Zero or not since apparently they took it from some guys CG portfolio online.

Ishmael
3983th Post

"Re(1):New MK web series based on that one tra" , posted Tue 18 Jan 00:25post reply

quote:
http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/23052

Always nice to see more Michael Jai White (watch Black Dynamite if you haven't).

I wonder if they will keep that same look for Sub-Zero or not since apparently they took it from some guys CG portfolio online.

So will this be the next Black Dynamite or the next Spawn? While I'm glad to see this project ended up getting some legs the web format is pretty cramped in what it can do. With luck the creators will be clever enough to get around the limitations of the short, episodic webisode presentation. Yeah, yeah, hoping that a live action version of MK is put together with intelligence and care is asking for the moon but you never know.

Just a Person
1457th Post

"X-Ray attacks video" , posted Fri 28 Jan 05:04post reply

They really seem to hurt.

The video shows Liu Kang, Stryker and Baraka (well, Baraka doesn't appear in game footage, but the developers show a model of his skull), and many ways to unrealistically and painfully break your opponent's bones.

MK 2011 is looking interesting so far. But it's weird that the game is supposed to be released next month, yet there are still many things left unrevealed (full roster, stages, demonstrations, etc.). At least the fatalities are more convincing this time...

KTallguy
1301th Post

PSN: Hunter-KT

"Re(1):X-Ray attacks video" , posted Fri 28 Jan 09:57post reply

Man the more I've seen of this game, the more I want it.....

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

Ishmael
4001th Post

"Re(1):X-Ray attacks video" , posted Fri 28 Jan 22:57post reply

quote:
MK 2011 is looking interesting so far. But it's weird that the game is supposed to be released next month, yet there are still many things left unrevealed (full roster, stages, demonstrations, etc.). At least the fatalities are more convincing this time...

Actually I don't think it's supposed to be out until April. The MK people still have plenty of time to think up another Mortal Monday or whatever other crazy release promotion they can get away with.

Just a Person
1458th Post

"Re(2):X-Ray attacks video" , posted Sat 29 Jan 02:07post reply

quote:
Actually I don't think it's supposed to be out until April. The MK people still have plenty of time to think up another Mortal Monday or whatever other crazy release promotion they can get away with.

Oops, you're right! A friend had told me the game was going to be released in February (I guess he confused the release of MK 2011 with the one of MvC3), but now I checked its Wikipedia page and it is supposed to be out in April, indeed. Sorry, my bad.

Ishmael
4023th Post

"Re(3):X-Ray attacks video" , posted Fri 18 Feb 23:26post reply

I forgot to mention this earlier, but Noob Saibot is back. It looks like he's using his shadow as a partner this time so I'm hoping he plays similarly to the hysterical Noob/Smoke team. More importantly, Noob can hit people so hard they vomit. It's been a long, long time since people barfed in fighting games so it's nice(?) to see that make a comeback using the latest graphics.

dr baghead
3795th Post

"Re(4):X-Ray attacks video" , posted Sat 19 Feb 13:00post reply

quote:
I forgot to mention this earlier, but Noob Saibot is back. It looks like he's using his shadow as a partner this time so I'm hoping he plays similarly to the hysterical Noob/Smoke team. More importantly, Noob can hit people so hard they vomit. It's been a long, long time since people barfed in fighting games so it's nice(?) to see that make a comeback using the latest graphics.

He looks like Havok (Choas Realm guy, I think that was his name)... so I guess they went with their original MK:Deception design ideas and made Havok's design his.

.... is it sad I'm probably gonna go pre-order this (the set with the book ends!) but I'm gonna wait until MvC3 is a greatest hits to play that?

my silly little drawin's

ZamIAm
1804th Post

"Re(2):X-Ray attacks video" , posted Thu 24 Feb 02:23post reply

quote:
Man the more I've seen of this game, the more I want it.....

A lot looks good but I'm trying to maintain a healthy dose of pessimism in case they still manage to botch things. Though my job situation is making pessimism easy.

Grave
1361th Post

PSN: Drakee
XBL: Mikelson

"Re(5):X-Ray attacks video" , posted Thu 24 Feb 10:10post reply

quote:
.... is it sad I'm probably gonna go pre-order this (the set with the book ends!) but I'm gonna wait until MvC3 is a greatest hits to play that?

Probably! I was firmly planted in the "fuck MvC3" camp until the Haggar and Phoenix announcements, slowly warming up to the idea and when I got to play the game, sure enough, it's a ton of fun! Generally with Capcom the less I expect the better off I am, but with MK... when has there ever been a legitimately good MK? Probably never!

Still, it does look fun and I'll likely preorder it soon... because I buy every fighting game and refuse to learn lessons, basically.

sibarraz
12th Post

PSN: n/a
XBL: sibarraz4life

New Customer

"Re(6):X-Ray attacks video" , posted Mon 28 Feb 05:25:post reply

quote:

Probably! I was firmly planted in the "fuck MvC3" camp until the Haggar and Phoenix announcements, slowly warming up to the idea and when I got to play the game, sure enough, it's a ton of fun! Generally with Capcom the less I expect the better off I am, but with MK... when has there ever been a legitimately good MK? Probably never!

Still, it does look fun and I'll likely preorder it soon... because I buy every fighting game and refuse to learn lessons, basically.

mmm, I don't know, from a long time Mortal Kombat reached ''sonic cycle'' territory for me, you get hyped up by the epic comeback of the series, then you remember that the sonic team/ed boon is involved with the game and finally the game sucks

[this message was edited by sibarraz on Mon 28 Feb 05:26]

GekigangerV
1678th Post

"Challenge Tower" , posted Thu 3 Mar 03:19post reply

Link Here

So we got a preview of the Challenge Tower mode which is basically a bunch of fun mission based fights. It looks really fun. I really like the concept of the Sub-Zero/Scorpion vs Shao Khan fight, kind of like Ikaruga, but in a fighting game.

I don't know if it's just me, but I think I am more hyped for this game now than I ever was for MvC3. Maybe its because these guys didn't let everything leak ahead of time? Maybe its because they have fun stuff to do outside of the fighting? Or is it because Mortal Kombat has a very good presentation (albeit with a off an on record in terms of core gameplay)?

I am considering preordering this game now, even the version with bookends.

Just a Person
1459th Post

"Re(1):Challenge Tower" , posted Thu 3 Mar 04:44post reply

quote:
Link Here

So we got a preview of the Challenge Tower mode which is basically a bunch of fun mission based fights. It looks really fun. I really like the concept of the Sub-Zero/Scorpion vs Shao Khan fight, kind of like Ikaruga, but in a fighting game.

I don't know if it's just me, but I think I am more hyped for this game now than I ever was for MvC3. Maybe its because these guys didn't let everything leak ahead of time? Maybe its because they have fun stuff to do outside of the fighting? Or is it because Mortal Kombat has a very good presentation (albeit with a off an on record in terms of core gameplay)?

I am considering preordering this game now, even the version with bookends.

Wow, Challenge Tower looks EPIC!! Lots of modes, the return of Test Your Might, small funny dialogues before some fights, a challenge to shoot zombies, Sub-Zero & Scorpion special tag match against Shao Kahn... NRS is really dedicating itself this time! Damn, when Sindel's and Jade's arms fell off, I was caught completely off-guard...

Is this only for download content, or will this mode be available from the start in the game?

Ishmael
4031th Post

"Re(2):Challenge Tower" , posted Thu 3 Mar 08:26post reply

Glad to see that the extras are taking a Soul Calibur approach and are using variations on the existing game engine instead of the random things that were stuffed into previous MK games. Maybe it's just me, but when I turn on a fighting game I want fighting, not go-kart racing or whatever.

The only exception to this is Tekken Bowling. Making the in-game character models bowl was more entertaining than it should have been. Perhaps MK should have a bowling mini-game where you roll your opponent's head at the pins.

Just a Person
1461th Post

"Re(3):Challenge Tower" , posted Fri 4 Mar 02:43post reply

Watching the video again, have you guys noticed that some stages seem to have different versions? For instance, when Johnny Cage appears fighting zombie Goro, they are in what seems to be the Rooftop stage from MK3, but with a beautiful blue sky and a normal city. Later in the video, another match takes place in this same stage, but with a reddish sky and the city seems to be destroyed...

Some time ago, I wondered if this "Back to the Future" approach that Boon announced for MK meant that the player could lead the story to different outcomes depending on certain decisions. Maybe these stages variations represent the consequences of our actions in the game? It would be hard to implement this in the game, but it would be awesome!

Gieflos
42th Post

PSN: pooplos-z
XBL: PooplosZ

Rare Customer

"Re(4):Spoiler Tower" , posted Thu 10 Mar 14:58post reply

With a new demo comes spoilers abound! You've been warned.

You'd think developers would be used to this by now.

Ishmael
4036th Post

"Re(5):Spoiler Tower" , posted Thu 10 Mar 23:45post reply

quote:

The only thing funnier than leaks is the attempts to cover it up. Whatever information was in the demo has been removed and everyone is pretending they know nothing about it. I'm curious what was listed but I'm not going to go digging around the web to find something that people will officially be able to discuss in a few weeks.

sibarraz
19th Post

New Customer

"Re(6):Spoiler Tower" , posted Wed 16 Mar 10:22post reply

quote:

The only thing funnier than leaks is the attempts to cover it up. Whatever information was in the demo has been removed and everyone is pretending they know nothing about it. I'm curious what was listed but I'm not going to go digging around the web to find something that people will officially be able to discuss in a few weeks.

What thing was leaked?

Anyway, when will the 360 demo appear? : (

GekigangerV
1680th Post

"Re(7):Spoiler Tower" , posted Wed 16 Mar 12:30post reply

quote:

What thing was leaked?

Pretty much everything. Roster, endings, the secret after finishing the challenge tower.

I think the demo is available for us Non-Playstation Plus peons now. I will download it in a bit and give it a go. I heard it was nice.

Just a Person
1462th Post

"Re(8):Spoiler Tower" , posted Wed 16 Mar 22:40post reply

quote:

What thing was leaked?

Pretty much everything. Roster, endings, the secret after finishing the challenge tower.

I think the demo is available for us Non-Playstation Plus peons now. I will download it in a bit and give it a go. I heard it was nice.

The entire dialogue script for Story Mode leaked as well. Although it doesn't show who speaks each line and what is the context of the conversations; nevertheless, some people have already figured the whole plot out of this script...

Ishmael
4042th Post

"Re(9):Spoiler Tower" , posted Fri 18 Mar 03:26post reply

So has anyone tried out the demo? Any thoughts?

I gave it a whirl and found it to be very much a MK game. The way the combos worked and the 2D fighting put me in mind of MKvsDC. While it was fun seeing what sort of chaos you could string together when clobbering the CPU I do wonder how it will work when playing against someone who knows the game engine. Will the ease with which combo breakers can be pulled off limit what can be attempted during a match? Will having three different techniques [EX moves, combo breakers, X-ray attacks] attached to the same meter also affect gameplay? I'll be curious to see what happens when this game debuts at EVO.

I'm quite glad to see the multiple fighting stance gimmick has been dropped but I am a bit surprised they went back to the classic number of buttons. The vaguely Tekken-ish front limb/back limb designation doesn't make much sense but I guess they need to call the four attack buttons something. But why keep the block button? It made sense during MK's 3D days but the 2D gameplay makes this fifth button feel as awkward as it always has.

At least the game looks nice. I quite like that you can get a flawless victory and still be covered in gore because your opponent bled all over you. The character models also have good looking -if obviously exaggerated- physiques. It's a far cry from the freaky blow-up dolls of MK:Armageddon.

From what I can tell MK9 is doing a good job of what it is that MK does. I do wonder why they are making claims at being tournament worthy since the fighting engine has never been the main draw of the franchise.

sibarraz
20th Post

New Customer

"Re(10):Spoiler Tower" , posted Fri 18 Mar 03:52post reply

quote:
So has anyone tried out the demo? Any thoughts?

I gave it a whirl and found it to be very much a MK game. The way the combos worked and the 2D fighting put me in mind of MKvsDC. While it was fun seeing what sort of chaos you could string together when clobbering the CPU I do wonder how it will work when playing against someone who knows the game engine. Will the ease with which combo breakers can be pulled off limit what can be attempted during a match? Will having three different techniques [EX moves, combo breakers, X-ray attacks] attached to the same meter also affect gameplay? I'll be curious to see what happens when this game debuts at EVO.

I'm quite glad to see the multiple fighting stance gimmick has been dropped but I am a bit surprised they went back to the classic number of buttons. The vaguely Tekken-ish front limb/back limb designation doesn't make much sense but I guess they need to call the four attack buttons something. But why keep the block button? It made sense during MK's 3D days but the 2D gameplay makes this fifth button feel as awkward as it always has.

At least the game looks nice. I quite like that you can get a flawless victory and still be covered in gore because your opponent bled all over you. The character models also have good looking -if obviously exaggerated- physiques. It's a far cry from the freaky blow-up dolls of MK:Armageddon.

From what I can tell MK9 is doing a good job of what it is that MK does. I do wonder why the

-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

MK has a block button since day one, it will be like having a Virtua Fighter without a block button at this point

The button that I hate is the run one, why not just a double tap with the stick, or just don't use it

Ishmael
4043th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Spoiler Tower" , posted Fri 18 Mar 05:47post reply

quote:
MK has a block button since day one, it will be like having a Virtua Fighter without a block button at this point

The button that I hate is the run one, why not just a double tap with the stick, or just don't use it

True, the block button has been with MK for so long now that's pretty much married to it at this point. At least the run button has never come back, that was a terrible idea.

I never thought about it before, but between the obscure joystick movements and having commands assigned to buttons that should never be assinged to buttons MK has always been one or two steps away from turning into Buriki One.

Badoor
178th Post

PSN: BadoorSNK
XBL: BadoorSNK

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Spoiler Tower" , posted Fri 18 Mar 08:03post reply

I've been enjoying the demo myself.

RANT!

I like the increased "technicality" it has. things like the super meter stuff or the less focus on obnoxious dial a combos and more on creative juggling combos with special moves. This gives corners a much higher priority than before with wall specific combos and such . Also It seems in general long combos are harder to do than in MKvsDC, sone might require specific circumstances, set ups and positions.

The block button is kind of annoying but I understand the heritage part. Also I think because of it blocking is more deemphasized because the player is either blocking or doing anything else in the decision making layer at least, unlike other games where you can just hold back on the stick and still be able to attack. This makes sense since there really aren't a lot of opportunities to break thru an opponents block. There's not a lot of overhead attacks. Most low attacks are short range and you can't do a lot of damaging combo attacks starting from them.

Oh and finally, does anyone know what's the use if the Stance change button?

GekigangerV
1682th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Spoiler Tower" , posted Sat 19 Mar 08:30post reply

From what I can tell, the stance switch is purely aesthetic.

How long has Cage's nut punch worked on women? I guess they wanted to stay consistent since his X-ray involves the nut punch as well.

I am digging this demo. I really like how I can string together stuff with Cage. I will most likely picking this up.

dr baghead
3796th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Spoiler Tower" , posted Fri 25 Mar 10:29post reply

quote:
How long has Cage's nut punch worked on women?

I think this is the first game he's had the nut punch in in awhile isn't it? Wasn't it a 'splits fireball uppercut' in MK:DA?

at any rate in MK4 he couldn't punch women in the lady-nards (he could punch for the first time Goro in his four armed fruitbasket though, so now we just need to see if that carries over), and in MKT the move was removed since they didn't want to refilm Nightwolf, Stryker, and the Cyborgs wincing in pain, but really should have since those assholes deserved it, obviously he couldn't punch Sonya or Mileena/Kitana/Jade in the first two games.... so this *might* be the first time he can punch ladies in their she-danglies, or maybe now Mileena's been retconned to have balls ("pulling a Poison" is what that should be called) and it doesn't work on women...

on a more serious note:

Holy shit! They turned Johnny Cage into their off brand Guile! Or really some weird Guile-ish playing character with Dan's sense of mind.

If holding back blocked his shadow kick would make him an amazing Guile clone, and he's got a flash kick that works as a real nice anti-air (he kicks Mileena out of that stupid teleport kick!!! I remember that move being impossibly cheap but it's been nerfed so much they must have to pay Hasbro royalties. Not only can she get hit out of it, but if it's blocked her recovery time is monstrous, it's now something you have to THINK about using rather then mashing the hell out of to win)

my silly little drawin's

Just a Person
1463th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Spoiler Tower" , posted Sat 26 Mar 00:35post reply

quote:
obviously he couldn't punch Sonya or Mileena/Kitana/Jade in the first two games.... so this *might* be the first time he can punch ladies in their she-danglies, or maybe now Mileena's been retconned to have balls ("pulling a Poison" is what that should be called) and it doesn't work on women...

Maybe it was a glitch, but I remember playing MKII on the SNES one time against a friend, I was using Cage and he was using Shang Tsung. He turned into Kitana, fought for a while, and when the morph-back animation began, I managed to use the split punch... and it HIT "Kitana", who went to the pain animation and all. It was quite weird.

Loona
389th Post

PSN: IkariLoona

Silver Customer

"Re(7):Re(10):Spoiler Tower" , posted Sat 26 Mar 06:01post reply

Ed Boon's twitter: "RT @ChuckPatoDuck I have 1 question. Is there 4 players offline? (MK9) Noobde: Yes, 4 people can play on 1 console (tag-team). "
http://twitter.com/noobde/status/50689982280642561

Somesites are interpreting this as a simultaneous 4-player 2 vs 2 mode, which I would love to see, but I'm worried about that "tag-team" term in there... would be annoying to have a player just sit his part of the match out until his partner decided to tag out...

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

dr baghead
3797th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Spoiler Tower" , posted Sat 26 Mar 14:24post reply

quote:
would be annoying to have a player just sit his part of the match out until his partner decided to tag out...

To be fair this wouldn't be the first game that handled it that way... in one of the countless DoA2 money-grabbing-rereleases (and maybe 3 and 4 too? I really stopped giving a shit about DoA when it started being less about slutty outfits and more about pretentious 'clones and secret organizations' storylines) you could play 1 vs 1 or "two on a team" (don't know if it had 2 on 2 for 4 player, but it had 2-on-computer for sure)

and it worked probably as well as you'd think, one person plays, other one gets bored then is suddenly without warning thrown into combat just to get punched a couple times before you gain your barring. If you're lucky your friend yells "GO!" or something or you realize the little grunt the character made was an indication they were leaving and you get a second to react but neither of those will be of use on-line.

I can't imagine MK handling it any differently, or really there being any other way to handle tag-teaming-co-op since the switch has to be done on the fly

my silly little drawin's

sibarraz
34th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(9):Re(10):Spoiler Tower" , posted Sun 27 Mar 00:49:post reply

quote:
would be annoying to have a player just sit his part of the match out until his partner decided to tag out...

To be fair this wouldn't be the first game that handled it that way... in one of the countless DoA2 money-grabbing-rereleases (and maybe 3 and 4 too? I really stopped giving a shit about DoA when it started being less about slutty outfits and more about pretentious 'clones and secret organizations' storylines) you could play 1 vs 1 or "two on a team" (don't know if it had 2 on 2 for 4 player, but it had 2-on-computer for sure)

and it worked probably as well as you'd think, one person plays, other one gets bored then is suddenly without warning thrown into combat just to get punched a couple times before you gain your barring. If you're lucky your friend yells "GO!" or something or you realize the little grunt the character made was an indication they were leaving and you get a second to react but neither of those will be of use on-line.

I can't imagine MK handling it any differently, or really there being any other way to handle tag-teaming-co-op since the switch has to be done on the fly

Now that I think about, Why not make it a combination of savage reign with tag team wrestling?

Basically, you can tag only when you are in a specified zone (like kizuna encounter, and wrestling) This will lead to situations where your partner will pay attention when you are on that zone, so the tag will not be so in the fly (because will be incredible stupid if you handle the tag in the middle of combo which lots of times your partner maybe will not know what to do unless they play a lot)

You can add some stock to do I don't know, a ''tag partner combo breaker'' which only could be activated by the guy that isn't playing, and inmediately tags in. I don't know, make it a la KOF 94-98 where only could be activated when you are in the ''tag zone'' (I know that in kof there is not a tag zone but you got the idea), and maybe you can add at least one ''tag combo continue'' but this guy could be activated by the guy doing the combo, adding some time to your partner to continue the combo (maybe like kof 2003, where when you continue a combo when you tagged, your partner will automaticaly do a punch or a kick)

I can see it work, but you need to create some rules. Even though my ideas could had lots of cons still this is Ed Boon NetherRealm Studios, the last thing that they care is think in a good fighting system engine

[this message was edited by sibarraz on Sun 27 Mar 00:54]

Just a Person
1464th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Spoiler Tower" , posted Tue 29 Mar 04:13post reply

And the leaks keep on coming...

First, someone got a screenshot of the select screen. Could be fake, but it looks too detailed for that.

Now, all the versus portraits leaked as well. Overall, they look nice.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
Smoke's hair is... interesting. I actually like it.

Cyber Sub-Zero looks cool. Although I'm not sure if the MK fans will like seeing him as a cyborg in the future games of the franchise (of course, they could always adopt a bizarre solution for this problem, like transplanting his soul into another body or something like that...)

Female fighters show a lot of cleavage, although we should be used to it by now. Even Sonya adopted the cleavage, but at least this time she looks like a woman instead of a man with huge boobs.

Sheeva's new design looks great, but it seems like her portrait is hand-drawn instead of using the game graphics...

Kabal looks disturbing. The cyborgs have some similarities but there is some individuality in each one's design (besides the different colors). And for once, Nightwolf and Stryker don't look like a pair of losers.

End of Spoiler

Ishmael
4055th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Spoiler Tower" , posted Tue 29 Mar 06:26post reply

I like that Smoke has a look that sets him apart from the other ninja but now he's going to be mistaken for Fujin and Hotaru. Having a big mop of white hair is a popular design choice for MK characters.

Just a Person
1465th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Spoiler Tower" , posted Tue 29 Mar 07:46post reply

More leaks... now, arcade portraits for characters controlled by the player and the ladder opponents. Including bosses.

First look at Kintaro... his nose looks funny. I hope that his body build is still as intimidating as it used to be back in MKII; I think Kintaro used to be much cooler than Goro back then, but in Armageddon he wasn't so cool...

It's curious that Goro, Kintaro and Shao Kahn also have portraits for characters climbing the ladder (...controlled by human players??). And Kratos, Quan Chi and Cyber Sub-Zero can also be fought in Arcade Mode, it seems.

End of Spoiler

nobinobita
891th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(9):Re(10):Spoiler Tower" , posted Tue 29 Mar 10:14post reply

quote:
I really stopped giving a shit about DoA when it started being less about slutty outfits and more about pretentious 'clones and secret organizations' storylines)

Truth.
-___-

I miss the ridiculous physics of the first game where all you had to do was take a half step forward and the character's bosoms would ebb and flow like ocean waves gently caressing the shore.

www.art-eater.com

GekigangerV
1685th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Spoiler Tower" , posted Tue 29 Mar 11:23post reply

quote:
More leaks... now, arcade portraits for characters controlled by the player and the ladder opponents. Including bosses.

Wow, I can't believe all this data was in the demo.

Cyber Sub-Zero looks nice. I wonder how he will play.

First set of DLC has been announced.

Kenshi and unnamed Red Female Ninja

End of Spoiler

They actually will be DLC and not unlock keys unlike MvC3

Gojira
2723th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
Wii: 80085

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Spoiler Tower" , posted Tue 29 Mar 11:44post reply

quote:

I'm really kinda meh about all this MK art that's been popping up today. I feel like if I called it ugly, it would just imply that they hit the mark, when actually to me a lot of it just looks poorly-done. Armored clothing looks okay, robots look okay, but the organic elements like skin and hair and facial proportions I find hard to compliment. Hopefully they don't look like that in the finished product.

Iggy
9242th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):Spoiler Tower" , posted Tue 29 Mar 22:08post reply

quote:

You do understand that if the DLC is not a key but actual data, then there's no online fight possible, right?
(To which you can answer "MK? Online? Are you mad?" and you might have a point).

But how exactly is it different to MvC, where Shuma and Jill were announced before the release of the game exactly like here? When did the MK guys got a free out of jail card?

GekigangerV
1687th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):Spoiler Tower" , posted Thu 31 Mar 08:54post reply

quote:

You do understand that if the DLC is not a key but actual data, then there's no online fight possible, right?
(To which you can answer "MK? Online? Are you mad?" and you might have a point).

But how exactly is it different to MvC, where Shuma and Jill were announced before the release of the game exactly like here? When did the MK guys got a free out of jail card?

I am fairly certain compaines have added DLC to consoles as “patches” that allow people to fight against characters online without paying for them. I believe that happened with Fight Night Round 4 with Evander Holyfield and a couple of other boxers who, from what I remember, weren’t actually on the disc, but I am not 100% certain on that. And if worse comes to worse they can do what Activision did with Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 and the Juggernaut and realease a “compatibility pack” for you to optionally download.

And speaking of MK online, there are rumors floating around that it will have an “online pass.” This won’t have an impact on me as far as I know since I plan on getting it new. For those of you not in the know, online passes are keys to play online included in new copies of certain games (I got it in UFC 2010) and cost people 5-10 bucks (depending on the game) if they get the game used. Apparently WB games will also implement such a system for Arkham City. I am not sure what they will do since they confirmed that multiplayer is not in. I am guessing they will put a lock on challenge maps.

I also discussed my disappointment in the use of Jill and Shuma as early DLC characters before. True, the end result is pretty much the same, I pay money for characters to add on, but if the DLC is truly created after the initial development cycle ends, then I atleast get the feeling that the developer put in all their effort into the product that shipped. There are quite a few things that could have been addressed in a development point of view in MvC3 such as online (atleast not taking me back to the main menu all the time) or spectator mode. From what I have read Shuma was pretty much done ahead of time as was meant to be the complmentary character for Frank before he was scratched from the initial release and Jill was mostly done and a bit of data was actually added in the shadow mode patch.

One of the points that I have heard that DLC allows is giving a game longetivity and I agree with this to a certain extent. If they give us characters a couple of times a year I would certainly look at them and if I am interested I will pay for them, but sometimes I get the feeling that it is a nickel and dime scheme. I noticed that a new Shadow mode was available for MvC3 today, but it costs 99 cents. I know 99 cents isn’t a lot, but it seems audacious that Capcom would think about charging for AIs and the shop doesn’t even tell you who they are. Of course we are talking about the same company that charged for Hard mode in Megaman IX and X.

I can go on, but this post is getting a bit long in the tooth.

dr baghead
3798th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Re(10):Spoiler Tower" , posted Fri 1 Apr 02:07post reply

quote:
I am fairly certain compaines have added DLC to consoles as “patches” that allow people to fight against characters online without paying for them.... And if worse comes to worse they can do what Activision did with Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 and the Juggernaut and realease a “compatibility pack” for you to optionally download.

Dead Rising 2 has similar patches for the costumes if you don't want to buy them. If you don't download them you can only play with people the same costumes you have..

quote:
Cyborg (Cyber?) Sub-Zero

How can people seriously hate this character because he "ruins the storyline"?

It's FUCKING MORTAL KOMBAT, it's a game were they've tried to kill off two popular characters only to, in the very next game, make a BS reason they're not dead (Johnny's soul, like bounced off Outworld 'heaven' and back into his body, after which he sort of ignored the fact he died... Liu Kang might have been a zombie, but his moves were made with his human skin in mind, he doesn't eat flesh, he doesn't use his cool chains to fight, he's just a rotty alive Liu Kang rather then alive Liu Kang being a non-rotty zombie Liu Kang.)

Mortal Kombat fans are INSANE, they will latch onto the most awful character and DEMAND they be in a game and be PISSED when they're not hidden in a game they were never promised to be in (I'm sure someone right now is mad 'vampire chick who's name Baghead forget', human Blaze, Molvado, and Kobra's VS screen pictures weren't among the leak) To think the design team could turn one of it's most icon characters into a robot and make it last more then one game is INSANE.

I know in the past MK games the robots couldn't turn human but there's two very good reasons for that:
1-Sektor and Cyrax make no sense as humans, there are already red and yellow ninjas who are more popular, their weapons make no sense if not shot of a robot's chest, and their names make no sense... if you're going to make a 'human Cyrax' why not at that point just make a new character with the changes needed?
2-Smoke HAS been human in every game except the orginal MK3 (his second costume is supposed to be his 'human' form in MKD/MKA) he just never got a real storyline outside of MK3 where the point was he was a robot who had a soul and had to say goodbye to Sub-Zero, in MKD he's a prop to reveal Noob is Original Sub-Zero and MKA is a dream match. Add to the fact he's SUCH a minor character it's not even worth wasting a Sub-Zero story arc to redeem him, so he never had a chance to turn human again even they wanted him to... on an unrelated side not, I bet Robot Smoke is an alt. Costume for Human Smoke in MK('11) since it's not like they'd play differently anyway.

Sub-Zero works as a human character and will most likely get his own storyline in the next game; I bet it involves his robot form freezing completely then the ice shatters to reveal a reborn, possible more powerful human Sub-Zero.

It'd be like Street Fighter fans freaking out because Evil Ryu is in SF4 as his own character (no one is freaking out as if this means the end of regular Ryu as we know it, right?) Cyborg Sub-Zero is essetinally a cannon Evil Ryu, well I guess Evil Ryu is cannon too... so Cyber Sub-Zero is EXACTLY Evil Ryu. They turned into them for a little bit, but then turned back, but this temporary Evil form will remain in the series as hidden character on and off again for the rest of the series...

So yeah, I like this character design and since no one can ever stay dead for more then one game in MK I know Human Sub-Zero isn't gone for good.

quote:
DLC Characters

I wasn't a fan of Kenshi in MKDA/MKD/MKA but I'm interested in seeing how he'll play in MK('11) since he'll only get one fighting style and since they claim there will be no shared moves he'll have to use his telekinesis differently then Ermac... could be neat.

I wonder if Scarlet gets a red version of the MK2 and UMK3 lady ninja costumes already in the game, since she's suppose to be a red lady ninja right? (also, when Tanya shows up she better have yellow versions of those costumes, I never really got Tanya was supposed to be a 'lady ninja' until Khameleon had her powers... also Frost should wear them too because why not?).... also does her inclusion mean Tremor could someday become a real character (MKSF doesn't count) too?

my silly little drawin's

Iggy
9244th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Re(10):Spoiler Tower" , posted Fri 1 Apr 06:42post reply

quote:
I am fairly certain compaines have added DLC to consoles as “patches” that allow people to fight against characters online without paying for them.
But in that case, you basically have the data of the character installed on your machine, the DLC would just be the key to unlock it...
Meh, I understand the difference you make between "finished character taken out of the game for DLC" and "unfinished character completed later for DLC". For me, the difference would be more about "is the game finished and enjoyable even without the DLC ?" (to which one can answer "no game is enjoyable if Shuma is not in it"). Or "do I want the DLC and do I want to play with a slightly different version of Thor?" (the answer is no).

I don't really know, but I do know I'm OK to pay for more characters in MvC3, and probably not for MK, even if I happen to buy it 10 bucks in a few months for the laughs. Also, I can't start to understand the logic behind having to pay for the shadow mode thing. They're not even trying to convince me the Vampire team actually has encrypted the playing paterns of the assistant cleaning lady manager of Capcom, faithfully recreated for my personal amusement...

Basically, all I want to say is: I'd pay real money to get a monocle on my Shuma. Are you listening, Capcom?

Just a Person
1466th Post

"Choose your MK babe" , posted Sat 9 Apr 11:10post reply

So, the release date for MK 2011 is near. And how can you make sure the audience will not forget it? Using hot models cosplaying the MK women!

...Okay, there may be better ways to promote the game, but besides the sexy factor, the characterizations (or... "kharakterizations"?) are indeed very good.

Well, enough talking: here are Mileena, Sonya Blade and Princess Kitana. Enjoy!

GekigangerV
1689th Post

"Re(1):Choose your MK babe" , posted Sat 9 Apr 11:46post reply

quote:
So, the release date for MK 2011 is near. And how can you make sure the audience will not forget it? Using hot models cosplaying the MK women!

...Okay, there may be better ways to promote the game, but besides the sexy factor, the characterizations (or... "kharakterizations"?) are indeed very good.

Well, enough talking: here are [URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8cnsy aFiAM&feature=player_embedded]Mileena, Sonya Blade and Princess Kitana. Enjoy!

I want an digitized HD MK game that is only women who look like that . . . .

And in other MK related news the Sub-Zero of the web series has been revealed

Link Here

sibarraz
52th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):So...Mortal Kombat 9 (2011)" , posted Fri 15 Apr 06:43post reply

I had bought the game, so far seems very good

GekigangerV
1691th Post

"Re(4):So...Mortal Kombat 9 (2011)" , posted Fri 15 Apr 11:20post reply

quote:

Any other impressions? Tell me more! Let me live vicariously through you!

sibarraz
53th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(5):So...Mortal Kombat 9 (2011)" , posted Fri 15 Apr 11:39post reply

quote:

Any other impressions? Tell me more! Let me live vicariously through you!

Well, I don't want to gave a review because I'm a total noob on the MK9 series, but well

First at all, the game has LOTS of modes, arcade mode, tag mode, training, challenge tower, Story Mode. And two Tutorials. One for the basic concepts and the other one to practice fatalitys. The tutorial was good to know the basics of the game, but overall, felt TOO basic, I missed some kind of mission mode to learn some combos or things like that.

The gameplay is actually very funny, for one I liked the gauge system that the game has, which is divided in 3 bars, spending one of them, you can do a sort of ''ex move'' which is pulled using the normal command plus the block button. Spending two stocks, you can break a combo. And with 3, you can use the X ray attack, overall, at times I felt that was not that cheap, but as had heard from the demo, those could be comboed, so maybe I hadn't see the potential yet, same with the ex moves that didn't feel that special for me, but maybe I need to learn more the game. I like the feel of ''close combat'' that this game has

The rest, well, feels like the old mortal kombat games, has the predetermined combos like MK3, and the juggles play an important role as always

The graphics are amazing, you can tell that warner bros invested lots of money with this game, I felt that in this aspect, puts to shame all the 3D japanese games, I enjoyed the remakes of old stages, which IMO are very beautiful, the characters are good too, I got the feeling that Capcom really half assed their games in this aspect. The game has lots of stages, which all has a very good amount of variety

And well, the story mode was very cool, it seems that they had rewritten the whole story of the series, it seems that they will tell the story from all the series. You start with johhny cage, play 3 single fights, and then you change to sonya, and the process repeat. I FUCKING HATE THOSE 2 VS 1 KOMBATS. They are very hard, and the cinematics are very cool actually, at the moment I'm enjoying the story

I couldn't make now a very good analysis, since, like I said, I don't know shit about MK, and I hadn't played that much the game. I don't know if it's the MK series that produces a ''meh'' from me, but I'm expecting to see how this game evolves, at least maybe finally boon cared in make a competitive game, so I will be expecting how the community evolves, overall, I was pleasantly surprised with game, I was expecting less, but I think that I will give it some more tries

BTW, as everybody knows, the game has a code that you need to play online, it seems that still isn't activated since I tried to put it and the marketplace didn't recognized the code, I hope that this code works for chileans accounts, I don't want to had a game that I couldn't play with my gamertag

Just a Person
1468th Post

"Re(6):So...Mortal Kombat 9 (2011)" , posted Fri 15 Apr 13:06post reply

quote:
Well, I don't want to gave a review because I'm a total noob on the MK9 series, but well

Your review was actually very good. You managed to cover several areas of the game (mentioning the functionality of the X-Rays, the overall gameplay, graphic details, the plot, etc.), expressing your opinions but also factual information as well. Like Shao Kahn would say, your review is "outstanding"!

One tiny small thing that annoys me a lot when I see the videos of this game is the hair animation (better saying, the lack of it). I'm sure it doesn't compromise the experience, but it looks like all characters are just using wigs made of plastic, the hair just doesn't seem to move!

Still, I'm very eager to play it! Tag team mode looks fun (and I heard that you can play an Arcade ladder with a tag team, is that true?), I'm very interested in finding out how the MK story will be after this retcon in the series, Challenge Tower looks amazing (and from what I've seen, most players will have a hard time reaching challenge #50, let alone challenge #300...) and there seems to be a lot of little funny conditions for Versus play, like narcolepsy, magnetic floor and stuff like that. Plus, almost all redesigns of both characters and stages are spot on, and for once the fatalities look really painful.

Now I just wish Rare would try to follow a similar path with the Killer Instinct franchise...

sibarraz
54th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(7):So...Mortal Kombat 9 (2011)" , posted Fri 15 Apr 13:17post reply

quote:

Your review was actually very good. You managed to cover several areas of the game (mentioning the functionality of the X-Rays, the overall gameplay, graphic details, the plot, etc.), expressing your opinions but also factual information as well. Like Shao Kahn would say, your review is "outstanding"!

One tiny small thing that annoys me a lot when I see the videos of this game is the hair animation (better saying, the lack of it). I'm sure it doesn't compromise the experience, but it looks like all characters are just using wigs made of plastic, the hair just doesn't seem to move!

Still, I'm very eager to play it! Tag team mode looks fun (and I heard that you can play an Arcade ladder with a tag team, is that true?), I'm very interested in finding out how the MK story will be after this retcon in the series, Challenge Tower looks amazing (and from what I've seen, most players will have a hard time reaching challenge #50, let alone challenge #300...) and there seems to be a lot of little funny conditions for Versus play, like narcolepsy, magnetic floor and stuff like that. Plus, almost all redesigns of both characters and stages are spot on, and for once the fatalities look really painful.

Now I just wish Rare would try to follow a similar path with the Killer Instinct franchise...

Well, nice to hear that you enjoyed the review

So far I like the story mode, tells well the events of the game IMO, my only grip is how stupid hard are the 2 vs 1 battles, it took like one hour one won, yet, when I fought goro, it just took me 2 battles (I used the ''geese howard method in rb1 lol'') I recall beating him with the same method on the first game

But yeah, seems like a good game

sibarraz
55th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(8):So...Mortal Kombat 9 (2011)" , posted Sat 16 Apr 08:18post reply

Well, I'm enjoying the story mode so far, actually, thanks to this mode they gave a very good explanation on why there is a cyborg sub zero. even though there was a match in the cyborg sub zero part that kinda saddened me

There is a part where you single handedly beat goro AND kintaro, It was kinda sad considering that winning one round against only one of them was nearly impossible as a kid, in my adulthood, I found some exploits to abuse, but still, it's kinda sad that you can beat both at the same time

End of Spoiler

Dr Baghead
3799th Post

"Re(7):So...Mortal Kombat 9 (2011)" , posted Sat 16 Apr 14:22post reply

quote:

and would it kill them to make a Battletoads game in similar fashion to God of War (which has to be what 'beat-em-ups' evolved into right?) while they're at it?

Or are they to busy madly trying to copy Nintendo's gimmicks (motion controls AND bland chibi avatars?! Guys, just say you're sorry and ask them to take you back already.) and making shitty kids games (does Rare have one modern franchise anyone actually likes? and no "Goldeneye" or "Donkey Kong" doesn't count that's not their's any more) to remember they used to be awesome.

my silly little drawin's

Just a Person
1469th Post

"Re(8):So...Mortal Kombat 9 (2011)" , posted Sat 16 Apr 22:34post reply

quote:
and would it kill them to make a Battletoads game in similar fashion to God of War (which has to be what 'beat-em-ups' evolved into right?) while they're at it?

Or are they to busy madly trying to copy Nintendo's gimmicks (motion controls AND bland chibi avatars?! Guys, just say you're sorry and ask them to take you back already.) and making shitty kids games (does Rare have one modern franchise anyone actually likes? and no "Goldeneye" or "Donkey Kong" doesn't count that's not their's any more) to remember they used to be awesome.

Yeah, Rare has definitely seen better times... (by the way, I didn't know the Battletoads franchise belonged to Rare)

Anyway, back to MK 2011, I've just seen the Story Mode videos and DAMN! Boon and his team really put a lot of effort into it! I already considered the MKvsDC Story Mode good enough, but MK 2011's one is much, much better...

I won't comment about what happens in it to keep other people here safe from spoilers. All I can say is that it is a nice reinvention of the MK-UMK3 plot, with some good twists and awesome characterization. Curiously, there are some differences in regard to the original story that take place BEFORE Raiden starts to try to change the timeline... but they do not hinder the game's experience at all.

I wonder, by the end of this Mode, how will NRS manage to make an eventual MK10 (which, if they will follow the renaming of the new games, would be... "Mortal Kombat II"? "Mortal Kombat II-2"?). But it was gratifying.

sibarraz
56th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(9):So...Mortal Kombat 9 (2011)" , posted Sun 17 Apr 01:10post reply

quote:

Yeah, Rare has definitely seen better times... (by the way, I didn't know the Battletoads franchise belonged to Rare)

Anyway, back to MK 2011, I've just seen the Story Mode videos and DAMN! Boon and his team really put a lot of effort into it! I already considered the MKvsDC Story Mode good enough, but MK 2011's one is much, much better...

I won't comment about what happens in it to keep other people here safe from spoilers. All I can say is that it is a nice reinvention of the MK-UMK3 plot, with some good twists and awesome characterization. Curiously, there are some differences in regard to the original story that take place BEFORE Raiden starts to try to change the timeline... but they do not hinder the game's experience at all.

I wonder, by the end of this Mode, how will NRS manage to make an eventual MK10 (which, if they will follow the renaming of the new games, would be... "Mortal Kombat II"? "Mortal Kombat II-2"?)

The ending is a ''to be continued''

End of Spoiler

Just a Person
1470th Post

"Re(10):So...Mortal Kombat 9 (2011)" , posted Sun 17 Apr 01:44post reply

Yes, I know, but...

...it's curious to think about how NRS will make the sequel when only three heroes are still alive. I assume MK10/MKII-2 will be a re-telling of MK4 (with Shinnok, Quan Chi et al attacking Earthrealm), but Raiden has no way of fighting them.

Well, unless he makes an alliance with what's left of Kahn's army, since most of them seem to be still alive.

End of Spoiler

sibarraz
57th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):So...Mortal Kombat 9 (2011)" , posted Sun 17 Apr 05:31post reply

quote:
Yes, I know, but...

oh sorry, I thought that you hadn't finished the game yet so I don't wanted to spoil the ending

Well, your theory that they will be re-telling from MK4 to MK deception is possible, I think that this will be the moment when new characters will be introduced, like fujin and..... lol boon put himself on a corner with all the characters that will be alive in MK4 since everybody seems to be a villian in the posterior games, but with all this, rewriting the story that they pulled out, maybe tanya will be a good girl now, or reiko, or I don't know, boraicho, and some other new characters who need new designs, maybe cyrax will be a good guy, new characters, I don't know

Some Impressions

- I hated how scorpion who was the ultimate badass in the PS2 games, now became a wimp who serves quan chi, I was still having in the end a last hope than he will became a badass guy again, and single handedly beat shao kahn, so yeah, I hope that in the the sequel he recovers this status again

- In the other hand, I liked cyber sub zero since the character now mades lots of sense for me, but, I sad to see how much had fallen goro and kintaro today, to the point that with sub zero you can beat them both at the same time, in the other hand, I f***ING HATED THOSE 2 VS 1 KOMBATS, they were annoying

- An talking about annoying, I hated shao kahn, he was not a good boss character IMO, the only way to beat him is using exploits, now normally, I had no problems with this since I love ''snk bosses'' but here was annoying since the guy has 2 times your health bar, lots of attacks with invencibility, and cheapness in general, the worst part was that was painful to beat him, with liu kang using fireballs from distances leading to 2 time outs, and with raiden, teleporting back and forth, sweep kick, repeat. With SNK bosses normally is the same, but never tooks me the entire round to do it .

- I don't get why Sindel was such a badass that could kill 10 characters in one minute, will shao kahn just did some damage to sonya and johnny, and btw, those 2 as the sole survivors was kinda funny, but cool since them along liu kang where the original heroes of the series

- I hated and loved the ending, hated the ''everyone dies'' because I felt that there was some unfinished business with lots of characters, but was cool to see that shinook is still alive, I just hope that the souls of the warriors return to normality.

- And finally, Raiden must be the must stupid character in the history of videogames, he screws the lifes of lots of characters, made wrong decisions, doesn't had any clue on what to do, only until the end when he came with that epic conclussion after an after thought that quan chi said, and then lamenting that lots of lifes were lost. If real life gods are like this, I could understand why lots of people don't believe on them

End of Spoiler

dr baghead
3800th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):So...Mortal Kombat 9 (2011)" , posted Mon 18 Apr 11:02post reply

so have either of you played the game on the PS3? If so:

Kratos: Great Mortal Kombat Character OR Greatest Mortal Kombat Character?

(seriously though, how's he play? I'll be getting the game tomorrow night and I want to know if I should prepare for soul crushing Soul Calibur style disappointment or if he actually plays like he does in GoW: Fast and Brutal... also can I use him in Arcade Mode? Does he have an ending?)

my silly little drawin's

sibarraz
58th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):So...Mortal Kombat 9 (2011)" , posted Mon 18 Apr 12:23post reply

I don't get damage scaling in this game

If with raiden a pull jX, A,A,B (Juggle) A,A, X-RAY, I will do less damage than if I did jX, A,A,B, X-RAY

WTF?

Loona
394th Post

PSN: IkariLoona

Silver Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):So...Mortal Kombat 9 (2011)" , posted Mon 18 Apr 20:26post reply

quote:

If with raiden a pull jX, A,A,B (Juggle) A,A, X-RAY, I will do less damage than if I did jX, A,A,B, X-RAY

WTF?

MK3 already suffered from something like that - with Smoke, teleport punch -> hook -> combo did more damage than jump kick -> teleport punch -> hook -> combo.

Personally, I kinda prefer it that way - discourages too long combos, boring for whomever's on the receiving end, but the ability to make longer ones is still there for those who like to explore what the game's capable of.

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

sibarraz
61th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):So...Mortal Kombat 9 (2011)" , posted Mon 18 Apr 22:19post reply

quote:

WTF?

MK3 already suffered from something like that - with Smoke, teleport punch -> hook -> combo did more damage than jump kick -> teleport punch -> hook -> combo.

Personally, I kinda prefer it that way - discourages too long combos, boring for whomever's on the receiving end, but the ability to make longer ones is still there for those who like to explore what the game's capable of.

I could see your point, but I don't know, for me the idea of longer combos is high risk = rewarding, which also could lead to comebacks if I mess up the big combo at least instead of dealing -2% of damage than the shorter one, make it only 2% with more damage, at least if I'm not wrong, on the demo you can deal very high damage, so i guess that the damage scaling is an improvement

Just a Person
1472th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):So...Mortal Kombat 9 (2011)" , posted Tue 19 Apr 01:51:post reply

quote:

Well, your theory that they will be re-telling from MK4 to MK deception is possible, I think that this will be the moment when new characters will be introduced, like fujin and..... lol boon put himself on a corner with all the characters that will be alive in MK4 since everybody seems to be a villian in the posterior games, but with all this, rewriting the story that they pulled out, maybe tanya will be a good girl now, or reiko, or I don't know, boraicho, and some other new characters who need new designs, maybe cyrax will be a good guy, new characters, I don't know

End of Spoiler

Well...

to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if the characters included in the series from MK4 on were largely ignored. Let's face it, one of the main reasons why this game is based in MK-MK3 is because practically all the most popular characters in the franchise come from the first three games.

In fact, I wouldn't even expect MK4 to get a chance in this reboot, but Shinnok's appearance in the end seems to point otherwise. Since his plan was to weaken both Earthrealm and Outworld, perhaps Raiden will have to join forces with whoever is commanding Outworld now (...Mileena?). He doesn't have much choice, as some of Shinnok's henchmen (like Scorpion) could defeat Sonya and Johnny Cage by themselves.

Regarding Bo' Rai Cho, I was surprised he was actually mentioned in MK 2011, he's the kind of character that most people would like to see retconned out of existence. As for Tanya, perhaps this reboot could allow Boon to replicate her original surprise: present her as a good girl, maybe even give her her own chapter in Story Mode... only to reveal her true intentions near the end.

End of Spoiler

[this message was edited by Just a Person on Tue 19 Apr 01:53]

sibarraz
63th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(8):Re(10):So...Mortal Kombat 9 (2011)" , posted Tue 19 Apr 04:35post reply

New characters most likely

Btw, It's me, or if a man fights with a woman with little clothes like Kitana, after a while, the mark of a hand made with blood appear on their ass?

Just a Person
1472th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):So...Mortal Kombat 9 (2011)" , posted Wed 20 Apr 02:12post reply

Well, after discussing Story Mode, I checked some videos of the other modes. Indeed, Boon seems to have given a lot of attention to this new MK.

I like how Arcade Mode feels classic, including the bosses: Shang Tsung will always appear old (even though his primary outfit is his young self), then either Goro or Kintaro, then Shao Kahn. And to keep up with the old MK1/MKII days, there are some hidden opponents that can be fought when the player fulfills the conditions to meet them.

Challenge Tower seems to be a lot of fun. Some challenges may take a lot of attempts from unskilled players (and I guess I'll be one of them) to be completed. A good number of the challenges have some funny dialogues before the fights (I think some people here have already watched a trailer showing a challenge where Mileena wants to give Scorpion a teddy bear), and the challenges also demands that the player masters all fighters. BTW, whoever was in charge of Challenge Tower must really hate Sonya Blade...

And the Krypt is huge... and kinda scary as well.

sibarraz
67th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(10):Re(10):So...Mortal Kombat 9 (2011)" , posted Wed 20 Apr 04:15post reply

quote:
Well, after discussing Story Mode, I checked some videos of the other modes. Indeed, Boon seems to have given a lot of attention to this new MK.

I like how Arcade Mode feels classic, including the bosses: Shang Tsung will always appear old (even though his primary outfit is his young self), then either Goro or Kintaro, then Shao Kahn. And to keep up with the old MK1/MKII days, there are some hidden opponents that can be fought when the player fulfills the conditions to meet them.

Challenge Tower seems to be a lot of fun. Some challenges may take a lot of attempts from unskilled players (and I guess I'll be one of them) to be completed. A good number of the challenges have some funny dialogues before the fights (I think some people here have already watched a trailer showing a challenge where Mileena wants to give Scorpion a teddy bear), and the challenges also demands that the player masters all fighters. BTW, whoever was in charge of Challenge Tower must really hate Sonya Blade...

And the Krypt is huge... and kinda scary as well.

Challenge 80 so far, and I don't find them that hard, but the difficcult is increasing, there are not like 300 of those?

dr baghead
3801th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):So...Mortal Kombat 9 (201" , posted Thu 21 Apr 14:38post reply

quote:
Challenge 80 so far, and I don't find them that hard, but the difficcult is increasing, there are not like 300 of those?

What combos can Kitana do to match Jades damage in her first mission? I hate playing as Kitana and can't figure out any that do more then 17%

my silly little drawin's

badoor
188th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):So...Mortal Kombat 9 (201" , posted Thu 21 Apr 15:38:post reply

quote:

What combos can Kitana do to match Jades damage in her first mission? I hate playing as Kitana and can't figure out any that do more then 17%

In that challenge, you don't have to actually do a combo. You only need to do more damage to her during the alloted time. I just do jump punch, 2-punch chain, than her tatumaki-ish kicks attack (down back kick). Then do it all over again.

[this message was edited by badoor on Thu 21 Apr 15:39]

sibarraz
70th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):So...Mortal Kombat 9 (201" , posted Thu 21 Apr 23:25post reply

quote:

In that challenge, you don't have to actually do a combo. You only need to do more damage to her during the alloted time. I just do jump punch, 2-punch chain, than her tatumaki-ish kicks attack (down back kick). Then do it all over again.

or punch punch, qcf + y, and whatever you want

repeat 2 times

GekigangerV
1694th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):So...Mortal Kombat 9 (201" , posted Fri 22 Apr 09:02post reply

I am really digging this game. Netherrealm Studio really hit it out of the park.

I really like the EX attacks. In fact, using EX attack in combos is probably better than using the whole bar for one X-Ray move. After just a couple of minutes with Nightwolf I was able to get a 35% damage combo with using one EX attack during a combo. Land something like that more than once and you got more damage than one X-Ray attack can deal.

But I am impressed by the presentation of the X-ray attacks. I really like how Shang Tsungs shows the musculature on his. And bonus points to
Smoke for the German suplex

Story mode was good, the AI is stupid though as it fall for the same jumping punch --> uppercut trick all the time except for the boss, but you just have to find a pattern that works for you. The presentation in this game is top notch except for the krypt. Damn thing is too much of a hassle to walk through.

I don't challenge tower lived up to the hype I had for it. I am already bored of it and I am only 40 missions in.

sibarraz
71th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):So...Mortal Kombat 9 (201" , posted Sat 23 Apr 01:05post reply

Stryker winpose is 100x times more badass than his fatality

karasu99
586th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):So...Mortal Kombat 9 (201" , posted Sat 23 Apr 02:13post reply

I still can't really decide if I'm excited about this game or not. Don't get me wrong-- back in the MK1 era my roommates and I played a tremendous amount of the game, and we followed the series up to UMK3 with a certain amount of interest, even though it was largely our game to play when SFII or whatever SNK game was the latest was clogged with players. I could never really stomach any of the 3D MK games in the slightest... but I know they have their fans.

So my question for anyone who cares to answer is this: does this game cater more to people who enjoyed the 2D games, or people who enjoyed the 3D games, or both, and does it play like the 3D games?

One thing I will say is that the older games were always surprisingly visceral-- a hit felt like a real hit on the opponent, but I always thought that was largely due to the excellent sound effects.

Shin ATproof
1264th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Re(10):So...Mortal Kombat 9 (201" , posted Sat 23 Apr 07:40post reply

Story mode is the business.

Seriously, they could have turned it into a movie and it'd be the best video game movie ever. EVER!

Fact: Everything with Norio Wakamoto and/or JAM Project is awesome.
Sí mon con langosta y camarón!

sibarraz
72th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(8):Re(10):Re(10):So...Mortal Kombat 9 (201" , posted Sat 23 Apr 07:59post reply

quote:
Story mode is the business.

Seriously, they could have turned it into a movie and it'd be the best video game movie ever. EVER!

Until you reach the last 10 minutes and becomes the must stupid movie ever

badoor
188th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):Re(10):Re(10):So...Mortal Kombat 9 (201" , posted Sat 23 Apr 12:51post reply

quote:

So my question for anyone who cares to answer is this: does this game cater more to people who enjoyed the 2D games, or people who enjoyed the 3D games, or both, and does it play like the 3D games?

It's of course obvious that the new MK is catered towards the 2D fans just from looking at the story and character selections. But even at the gameplay level, it plays a lot like a straightforward sequel to MK4. The 3D MK's (specifically the ps2 ones) focused a lot on long dial-a-combos and just superfluous stance changes and such with not a lot of jumping and less focus on special moves. Here, on average, the longest chain attack of any character is probably 4 button inputs long, which feels familiar to the chain attacks in MK3.
Strangely, The book ends of the 3D games (MK4 & MK vs DC) felt much more 2D than the mid games. And also...

Now that we know the next game would retell MK4 and after,

End of Spoiler

It seems like the MK series is going on some sort of a circular evolution and now it has just passed it's origin point.

Mosquiton
1771th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Re(10):So...Mortal Kombat 9 (201" , posted Sat 23 Apr 13:10post reply

quote:
Stryker winpose is 100x times more badass than his fatality

And has a cheese factor equal to Johnny Cage's win pose.

/ / /

GekigangerV
1695th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Re(10):So...Mortal Kombat 9 (201" , posted Sat 23 Apr 13:32post reply

quote:

It seems like the MK series is going on some sort of a circular evolution and now it has just passed it's origin point.

For the most part it seems like that. However, most of the recognizable characters are now dead thanks to Raiden (or is it really Nightwolf's fault, he was in charge). Raiden really didn't do anything to prevent the events of future games from what I can think of. The 'Deadly Alliance' may not be formed, but Shujinko is still doing Onaga's work and those two brothers are still in hibernation waiting for Blaze in Armageddon right?

Hopefully Netherrealms is able to keep their momentum going, but after MK3 the mainstream appeal of MK goes down. Almost none of the characters are recognizable to the general gaming pop or visually appealing.

I have been playing a little more and noticed quite a few 'future' MK characters in the background. Kenshi is in the back of the pit. Tanya is chained up if you play arcade mode with Kitana and I heard that Frost is also seen in the pit background as well. I wonder if that is also a hint of future DLC.

I also didn't think about it until now, but is sure sucks that we don't get to fight Motaro. Still hard for them to program the centaur in 3D? I know you probably couldn't do X-rays on him, but they gave the shokan certain properties like being unthrowable so it would have been nice to put him in there are another cheap boss. They had his whole model just sitting there.

End of Spoiler

Mosquiton
1773th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):So...Mortal Kombat 9 (201" , posted Sat 23 Apr 13:55:post reply

quote:

I really like the EX attacks. In fact, using EX attack in combos is probably better than using the whole bar for one X-Ray move. After just a couple of minutes with Nightwolf I was able to get a 35% damage combo with using one EX attack during a combo. Land something like that more than once and you got more damage than one X-Ray attack can deal.

I think there are some that are good, but while I'm definitely no expert on every character and can only speak from my own experience, I'm not satisfied with this aspect of the game. I feel like this is still an area where they're lagging behind what we consider the depth and balance of Street Fighter.

Moves that let you extend combos, like Nightwolf's thundercloud (assuming that's the one you used? I'd like to hear more) seem extremely rare. I know some moves can absorb hits (Stryker's rolling grab does seem useful), but many of the EX moves feel pretty useless IMO.

I can't find any use for moves like JK's uppercut, Sub Zero's slide, Mileena's Blanka ball (arooo! may be actually worse than the normal version) only seem to add minimal damage. Smoke's teleport is kind of tricky in that it adds a third overhead hit, but it's only likely to trip up an inexperienced player.

Normally I play as Sindel, and using EX moves feels like an incredible waste. The hair whip and flip kicks look cool but only add a measly 3% damage. You can already combo the scream, and while you can cancel the EX version into a dash it uses meter regardless. The projectiles get maybe a 4% damage boost but remain underpowered combo enders... and they may very well be blocked otherwise.

Meanwhile unless I'm dominating the match I will almost certainly need to use a breaker against jerks like Ermac, Smoke, or Kung Lao who can do over 50% damage in the hands of a good player.... or decisively end the round with a 47% combo myself (or over 50% in the corner).

Unlike SF or Guilty Gear, there's only one meter that handles everything in the new MK. It's the ultra gauge, super meter, and burst meter all drawn out of one gas tank, and it feels like there's just not enough to go around. I'm sure the usefulness of EX moves varies from character to character, but I'm just not convinced they're worth it.

I'd kind of like to see them tweak things with a patch... or maybe there's more to it than I can see and tourney players will figure things out.

If anyone else has any more EX analysis I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Edit: My friend seems to be having some success with Jade's EX boomerang, comparing it to Aegis Reflector shenanigans.

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Sun 24 Apr 13:44]

badoor
189th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(9):Re(10):Re(10):So...Mortal Kombat 9 (201" , posted Sat 23 Apr 15:40post reply

quote:

GekigangerV's spoilerrefic rant

I also noticed Hotaru at the openning cutscene.

It's true that most of the characters are dead, but really being "Dead" in the MK universe isn't all that definitive and final (How many people were resurrected in just this game?). In the specific case of Liu Kang, I'm imagining that he might return as Zombie Liu Kang with the help of Quan Chi to serve under him as revenge against clumsy old Raiden.

And shame about Motaro. I always liked him more than "Goro with tiger stripes" Kintaro.

End of Spoiler

Just a Person
1473th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Re(10):So...Mortal Kombat 9 (201" , posted Sat 23 Apr 21:30post reply

quote:

I also didn't think about it until now, but is sure sucks that we don't get to fight Motaro. Still hard for them to program the centaur in 3D? I know you probably couldn't do X-rays on him, but they gave the shokan certain properties like being unthrowable so it would have been nice to put him in there are another cheap boss. They had his whole model just sitting there.

End of Spoiler

Yeah, Motaro would be really cool in this game. Maybe he could be immune to X-Ray attacks. He was immune to projectiles in MK3, so it wouldn't be the first time Motaro gets some advantage over other characters.

Well, at least he's in some cutscenes (he could get some lines, though), and at least this time he wasn't transformed into a satyr (and named as a minotaur, like if minotaurs and satyrs were the same thing) just to make him fit with the cast.

End of Spoiler

dr baghead
3802th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):So...Mortal Kombat 9 (20" , posted Mon 25 Apr 15:07post reply

On the subject of who the heroes will be in the next game:

The story mode ending gives them 3 clear outs.

-Raiden can raise the dead. He told Scorpion he could do so for him, as Dark Raiden he raised Liu Kang, as Light Raiden I assume he wouldn't make the heroes into crazed zombies

-Quan Chi can raise the dead. He did it ALL the time in this game and currently has all the souls of Earth's warriors. Scorpion in the original storyline turned on him around the time Shinnok came back, soo....

-NEXT GENERATION!!! Boon has been wanting a 'next generation' forever, he's been hinting the next game would skip ahead everytime he got a continuity reset. MK:DA was supposed to be a next generation, as was MK8 before it became MKvDC, and even talked about MK9 being such before SF4 set in on the right path, and I'm 90% certain MK4 and maybe even MK2 were at one point supposed to go that way, hence Liu Kang's immortality which the new time line never mentions for winning... at any rate, Scorpion's immortal, Sub-Zero's just a power set and a costume, Johnny and Sonya survived so they can produce a kid, and Liu is never confirmed dead (he could be just passed out) so an pissy, older, scarred version could come back for MK2('1x) and just like how no one really liked when SF, Fatal Fury, and Tekken did this (no one liked when Toshinden did it either, but hey! no one likes Toshinden) MK3('1x+y)

End of Spoiler

Also Kratos is much more awesome in this game then he was in Soul Calibur... although his ending wouldn't have worked out like that.

my silly little drawin's

sibarraz
76th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):So...Mortal Kombat 9 (20" , posted Tue 26 Apr 02:13post reply

quote:

mmm

Actually, in this game, nobody was resurrected, they pulled the card of ''god send a message to the past warning about how their actions will change in the future, but maybe in the next game, they will need sheng long to resurrect everybody

End of Spoiler

dr baghead
3803th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):So...Mortal Kombat" , posted Tue 26 Apr 10:03post reply

quote:

mmm

Nobody? Because it seems to me Scorpion, Noon Saibot, and Sindel were all dead as dirt before Quan Chi waved his uncle-festery mits around and made them his puppets.

End of Spoiler

my silly little drawin's

sibarraz
77th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):So...Mortal Kombat" , posted Tue 26 Apr 11:41post reply

quote:

mmm

Oh, I thought that you refered to ''before the game, no ''within it'' my bad

karasu99
589th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):So...Mortal Kombat" , posted Thu 28 Apr 01:29post reply

Ok, so it was almost entirely unexpected, but... I have to say I am really enjoying this game. The one qualifier is that it's more the intentional or unintentional channeling of the so-bad-they're-good kung fu movies I grew up watching.

Story mode is the best example of this: The character models are doughy-faced and weird (Raiden especially-- who would have expected a god to be so jowly), and there are moments like Cage's perfectly dumb dialogue and voice acting, Shang Tsung fake sounding accent and... oh I guess this may be a spoiler if you haven't even played story mode...

The moment when Kung Lau is revealed as having been disguised as a guard-- he takes off the guard uniform 'off camera' and is suddenly revealed as fully in costume-- complete with his ridiculous hat, which would never have fit under the guard helmet.

End of Spoiler

I guess these are things that were in the early games of the series that I consciously or unconsciously enjoyed, but character design and art direction (although I feel kind of silly discussing MK in terms of 'art') in the 3D games from 4 onward just never seemed to have this same character-- even UMK3 was pushing it. For me, MK and MKII were the better games.

Something else that appeals to me and which almost got me to buy some of the earlier games is the crazy amount of content on the disc, like art, concept drawings, extra costumes, etc. I even enjoy the careful remakes of many of the stages from the first two games.

In terms of the game's craftsmanship, I like how in Story mode the cut scenes transition almost perfectly into the pre-fight dialog-- although paying attention to this has allowed me to detect when a fight is coming up.

The game itself is... well, it's MK, with all its cheesiness. But it's enjoyable at least, and I had a blast playing through story mode and to a lesser degree the challenge tower. And for some reason even though this game suffers from pretty much exactly what I bitched about with Street Fighter IV, originally-- not really any new characters, essentially just a remake of Mortal Kombat Trilogy in 3D. Maybe it's the sheer number of years since the last game I played seriously? I don't know.

All I can say is that I've never expected a game to be mediocre, bought it anyway, and found it to be not just average but actually fun in quite some time. Maybe that's the reason for me wall of text?

Ishmael
4080th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):So...Mortal Kombat" , posted Mon 2 May 04:24post reply

I was going to hold off on picking up MK but then I heard about the absurd 50% off sale on the title this week. If they're almost giving the game away why not?

So what type of controller are people using? Normally I would go with a stick but the unique button set-up of MK makes the standard PS3 pad seem like a good choice. I guess I'll have to mess around with both to see which one I'm more comfortable with.

Speaking of MK, I've learned to accept the idea that the MK franchise will easily outlive me. But watching MK attempt to move into tournament level play is a strange, strange sight that I'm not certain I will ever get used to. I checked out a bit of the tournament streams this weekend and saw people such as Justin Wong trying to land fatalities. Well, stranger games have developed a following so we'll see where this one goes.

Toxico
5322th Post

PSN: Toxic-Baron

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):So...Mortal Kombat" , posted Mon 2 May 07:09post reply

quote:
Well, stranger games have developed a following so we'll see where this one goes.

You don't know half of it.

Random selection from Mikaido 1

Random selection from Mikaido 2

Random selection from Mikaido 3

Random selection from Mikaido 4

Random selection from Mikaido 5

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Update 23 as of 25/10/10 (Temporary mega upload link).

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 22 as of 10/01/11

Ishmael
4082th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):So...Mortal Kombat" , posted Wed 4 May 22:16post reply

quote:

I miss the sound effect where it sounds like two pieces of bamboo are being slapped together.

quote:
Unlike SF or Guilty Gear, there's only one meter that handles everything in the new MK. It's the ultra gauge, super meter, and burst meter all drawn out of one gas tank, and it feels like there's just not enough to go around. I'm sure the usefulness of EX moves varies from character to character, but I'm just not convinced they're worth it.

From what I understand the meter builds when you get hit or do special moves but does not build when you do normal attacks. This makes the meter feel like something that should be saved for defense or comeback tactics instead of squandered on EX attacks. Maybe there are combos that involve EX moves that would make the moves worthwhile but I'm not good enough at the game to know what they are. There are a few EX moves that are quite good but, as you noted, most of them seem to be in there simply for the sake of completing the game engine.

Speaking of the game engine, I'm still trying to sort out what's what in MK9. I'm not used to thinking in these terms for a MK game so it's taking some getting used to. For example, I still can't figure out what I'm supposed to do with Noob's Black Hole projectiles. The move seems too slow on start and not of much use as a juggle set-up. Still, I keep fooling around with the thing in the hopes that there is some hidden use for it and that it's not something that was tossed into the game without any thought as to whether it worked or not. If I could get on-line perhaps I could learn more about the game than I will by fighting the CPU. Then again, I suspect the fights on-line will be nothing but Smoke and Kratos players so that may not be the place to go for variety either.

Ishmael
4097th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):So...Mortal Kombat" , posted Mon 23 May 03:59post reply

Double post! Anyway, thanks to PSN sort of being back online I was able to try a few games against other people. But between the varying skill levels of the players and the lag adding extra clunk to the already clunky MK game engine I'm not certain how much I learned from the experience. Still, I took MK online Friday and started getting hate mail by Saturday so I guess I'm doing something right.

Speaking of annoyances, is there a secondary way to unlock Cyber Sub Zero and Quan Chi? The story mode is not holding my interest so if I could skip having to slog through it I would be ever so grateful.

sibarraz
110th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(9):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):So...Mortal Kombat" , posted Mon 23 May 08:14post reply

quote:
Double post! Anyway, thanks to PSN sort of being back online I was able to try a few games against other people. But between the varying skill levels of the players and the lag adding extra clunk to the already clunky MK game engine I'm not certain how much I learned from the experience. Still, I took MK online Friday and started getting hate mail by Saturday so I guess I'm doing something right.

Speaking of annoyances, is there a secondary way to unlock Cyber Sub Zero and Quan Chi? The story mode is not holding my interest so if I could skip having to slog through it I would be ever so grateful.

It seems like not

KTallguy
1317th Post

PSN: Hunter-KT

"Re(7):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):So...Mortal Kombat" , posted Mon 23 May 11:28post reply

quote:
Well, stranger games have developed a following so we'll see where this one goes.

You don't know half of it.

Random selection from Mikaido 2

Random selection from Mikaido 3

Random selection from Mikaido 4

Random selection from Mikaido 5

Don't own the new MK but this game has always intrigued me. Hahaha.

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

sibarraz
111th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(8):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):So...Mortal Kombat" , posted Mon 23 May 12:12post reply

Btw, somebody knows if one day warner will sell the klassic costumes?

They actually look really cool, specially the sub zero and scorpion ones

Ishmael
4099th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):So...Mortal Komba" , posted Tue 24 May 01:57post reply

quote:
It seems like not

Too bad. Even worse, it doesn't look like I can fast forward through the cut scenes. If I want to play those characters I guess I'll have to sit through another story where the bungling heroes of MK lose yet again. MK may be the only game canon where the bad guys have the winning record.

sibarraz
113th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):So...Mortal" , posted Tue 24 May 13:27post reply

quote:
It seems like not

Too bad. Even worse, it doesn't look like I can fast forward through the cut scenes. If I want to play those characters I guess I'll have to sit through another story where the bungling heroes of MK lose yet again. MK may be the only game canon where the bad guys have the winning record.

Buy the next game to find out if the good guys win this time!

When DC vs MK was released and DC banned the use of fatalities to protect the superheroes of being mutilated, I was thinking how this actually was very important for a certain perspective

I can't explain it, but for example, characters like Ryu, Kyo, Terry, Guille, etc, had always been cool characters for me because I had never seen them being defeated or mutilates in such a way that after a while I just don't care for them, they still has this ''badass aura'' attached to them of being undefeated, or than if they are beated, they will soon get their payoff

But with MK characters, this just don't happen,and not only thanks to see them mutilated from one way or another in some of the most stupid ways that boon could conceive after an entire evening of consuming crack, but also because thanks to the story mode, everybody has been portrayed like big wimps, constantly dying, being manipulated by gods or magicians, twist after twist, after a while you can't feel attached to them, but maybe that's just me

sibarraz
114th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):So...Mortal" , posted Tue 24 May 13:34post reply

quote:
It seems like not

Buy the next game to find out if the good guys win this time!

When DC vs MK was released and DC banned the use of fatalities to protect the superheroes of being mutilated, I was thinking how this actually was very important for a certain perspective

I can't explain it, but for example, characters like Ryu, Kyo, Terry, Guille, etc, had always been cool characters for me because I had never seen them being defeated or mutilated in such a way that after a while I just don't care for them, they still has this ''badass aura'' attached to them of being undefeated, or than if they are beated, they will soon get their payoff

But with MK characters, this just don't happen,and not only thanks to see them mutilated from one way or another in some of the most stupid ways that boon could conceive after an entire evening of consuming crack, but also because thanks to the story mode, everybody has been portrayed like big wimps, constantly dying, screaming while they die, being manipulated by gods or magicians, twist after twist, after a while you can't feel attached to them, but maybe that's just me

Baines
283th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):ReReReRe:So...Mortal" , posted Tue 24 May 15:35post reply

quote:
But with MK characters, this just don't happen,and not only thanks to see them mutilated from one way or another in some of the most stupid ways that boon could conceive after an entire evening of consuming crack, but also because thanks to the story mode, everybody has been portrayed like big wimps, constantly dying, being manipulated by gods or magicians, twist after twist, after a while you can't feel attached to them, but maybe that's just me

One of the best things about the live action TV series (which wasn't horrible, at least no worse than other syndicated shows) was the ending. When they found out the show wasn't getting another season, they just went all out in the finale with all the good guys dying and Shao Khan winning. I think even Raiden got killed?

If Mortal Kombat games didn't have at a precedent for the good guys not always winning, I doubt the TV series would have seen that ending, and thus lost one of its best aspects. You wouldn't see a Street Fighter series willing to go out with a bang like that. Maybe you would Tekken, but that is a series that pretty much treats its villains the way other shows treat their heroes.

Ishmael
4100th Post

"Re(4):ReReReRe:So...Mortal" , posted Tue 24 May 22:22post reply

quote:

That reminds me, wasn't the character of Shujinko built around the idea that he spent his entire life being played for a chump? Between their constant deaths and foolish mistakes it's hard to view the heroes of MK as wish-fulfillment heroes. When I look at it that way it almost makes sense that the two flagship characters or the series -Scorpion and Sub-Zero- are off running around in secondary plots instead of the main storyline. MK is really odd when compared to other fighting games.

quote:
One of the best things about the live action TV series (which wasn't horrible, at least no worse than other syndicated shows) was the ending. When they found out the show wasn't getting another season, they just went all out in the finale with all the good guys dying and Shao Khan winning. I think even Raiden got killed?

I never saw the MK TV series and somehow keep forgetting that it was ever even made. But they killed off the heroes for the finale? Now that's a real man's ending!

Just a Person
1474th Post

"Re(5):ReReReRe:So...Mortal" , posted Wed 25 May 04:24post reply

quote:
I never saw the MK TV series and somehow keep forgetting that it was ever even made. But they killed off the heroes for the finale? Now that's a real man's ending!

Yup, they did. The main characters were actually original characters (well, the protagonist was supposed to be Great Kung Lao, the ancestor of both Liu Kang and present Kung Lao, so one could foresee he would eventually die), but Shao Kahn also killed Reptile (well, actually his ancestor), Shang Tsung, Quan Chi, Kitana and Raiden. Curiously, other MK characters that appeared in previous episodes (Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Smoke, Noob Saibot, Mileena, Reiko) were just completely forgotten.

It was an interesting TV series. Even though most of the episodes consisted of just choreographed fights and half-naked women walking around the city (curiously, Kristanna Loken was part of the main cast and she was actually dressed, probably the only woman in the series with a decent outfit... go figure) - but then again, most MK women also walk around half-naked.

Now, about the game and the discussion of MK taking away the credibility of its heroes by killing them, one needs to remember that...

Raiden, Sonya and Johnny Cage actually survived the MK 2011 massacre.

End of Spoiler

sibarraz
115th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):ReReReRe:So...Mortal" , posted Wed 25 May 06:03post reply

quote:

If Mortal Kombat games didn't have at a precedent for the good guys not always winning, I doubt the TV series would have seen that ending, and thus lost one of its best aspects. You wouldn't see a Street Fighter series willing to go out with a bang like that. Maybe you would Tekken, but that is a series that pretty much treats its villains the way other shows treat their heroes.

Actually, Raiden had the worst ending of all of them

Ok, the heroes died, big deal, at least the died fighting, Raiden, THE GOD DEFENDER OF EARTH was bowing to shao kahn, and that was the final scene of the series

As a kid I thought ''ok, maybe they are just planning a big plot where they will take revenge of shao kahn'' but I never knew that the series was cancelled because there was no internet at the time and in Chile nobody talked about that

But there is something I want to correct, the TV SERIES was developed at the time when MK was another series when the good guys always won (Liu Kang wins, the game ends, shao kahn through shenanigans finds a way to make a new tournament and a new game). The series started his track of ''good guys always lose'' at Deadly Alliance, when Liu Kang is killed, and he never gets his payoff, creting new characters who at some point where already chumps.

quote:
That reminds me, wasn't the character of Shujinko built around the idea that he spent his entire life being played for a chump? Between their constant deaths and foolish mistakes it's hard to view the heroes of MK as wish-fulfillment heroes. When I look at it that way it almost makes sense that the two flagship characters or the series -Scorpion and Sub-Zero- are off running around in secondary plots instead of the main storyline. MK is really odd when compared to other fighting games.

And here is another problem, for me sub zero and scorpion where always the more cool characters because they never had to pass through stupid that took away their badass aura

Sub Zero was the brother of the original Sub Zero, looking for who was the guy who killed his brother, and even though he never had a prominent role, he wasn't ruined, same with scorpion who at first wanted to kill sub zero, then he became his protector and finally he became the champion of the elder gods

But since Boon had a hard on for wimps, he destroyed them on the story mode in mk9 because

Scorpion became the servant of quan chi and sub zero was defeated, transformed on a cyborg and then became a servant of Quan Chi

End of Spoiler

I'm very sure that Boon decided to reboot the whole series because he realized that there where 2 good characters that never acted as wimps, and for him that was inconceivable, so he needed to ruin them

Syo
167th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):So...Mortal" , posted Wed 25 May 12:21post reply

quote:
I can't explain it, but for example, characters like Ryu, Kyo, Terry, Guille, etc, had always been cool characters for me because I had never seen them being defeated or mutilates in such a way that after a while I just don't care for them, they still has this ''badass aura'' attached to them of being undefeated, or than if they are beated, they will soon get their payoff

Click here at your own risk then!

Ryu defeated!

End of Spoiler

sibarraz
116th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):So...Mortal" , posted Wed 25 May 12:23post reply

quote:

Click here at your own risk then!

Sean beating ryu is worse than being killed 3 times

Just a Person
1475th Post

"Re(5):ReReReRe:So...Mortal" , posted Thu 26 May 06:52post reply

quote:
I'm very sure that Boon decided to reboot the whole series because he realized that there where 2 good characters that never acted as wimps, and for him that was inconceivable, so he needed to ruin them

Or... he could be paving the way for both characters becoming big again in the next game.

If the next MK is a retelling of MK4, as this one was based in MK/MKII/MK3 - and Shinnok's appearance in the end of MK 2011 seems to indicate so -, Scorpion will probably find the truth about the death of his family in the next game and then rebel against Quan Chi. As for Sub-Zero, maybe he was killed so that if players didn't enjoy him as a cyborg, he could be revived as a human again. His brother's lover Sareena is supposed to be in Shinnok's realm, so maybe she will help breaking him free from Quan Chi's grasp.

End of Spoiler

sibarraz
118th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):ReReReRe:So...Mortal" , posted Thu 26 May 07:00:post reply

quote:

Or... he could be paving the way for both characters becoming big again in the next game.

But I don't know, what was the point of make him cyborg?

Even though I was joking with the reboot theory.

One thing that I never get is who was the hero on the ps2 versions, shujinko was scrapped quckly, and the guys from armgeddon were never mentioned again

[this message was edited by sibarraz on Thu 26 May 07:02]

shin ramberk
392th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(7):ReReReRe:So...Mortal" , posted Thu 26 May 07:55post reply

quote:
But I don't know, what was the point of make him cyborg?

I think you are taking the storyline too seriously. The reason we got a cyborg Sub-Zero was because someone thought, "Hey, why not make a cyborg Sub-Zero! That's cool!" And then some random storyline got developed after that idea was put on the board.

Just look at the characters-- their development is based on some wacky idea and then a storyline gets shaped around the idea. I think MK9 actually did a pretty good job with making a sensible storyline from all of the wacky characters in the MK universe.

I personally think that the game developers got very lucky with the first three MK games because those have had the most memorable characters in the series. I think for MK10 they'll need to be very careful with their character choices and maybe the devs should just should skip the boring designs that came in later games.

http://ramberk.blogspot.com

Just a Person
1476th Post

"Re(7):ReReReRe:So...Mortal" , posted Thu 26 May 22:36post reply

quote:
One thing that I never get is who was the hero on the ps2 versions, shujinko was scrapped quckly, and the guys from armgeddon were never mentioned again

It seems Kung Lao was supposed to take Liu Kang's place as the hero in Deadly Alliance. For some reason which I don't know, Midway decided to kill him and create a brand-new hero, Shujinko, for Deception. But I guess most players weren't pleased with the idea of an old man who mimics other fighters' abilities as the main hero, so Armageddon got Taven (even though Shujinko was still available) as the main guy.

It seems that during this second MK trilogy (MK4 is so different from the other MK games that it doesn't fit in either trilogy), they planned the story of each game without any idea of how to develop it in the next ones, thus scrapping ideas and planning new ones from game to game. That's a shame, because Deadly Alliance was a nice start; had they kept Kung Lao as the main guy in the following games, the story would probably be more cohesive (of course, Armageddon didn't have much of a story, but still...).

sibarraz
118th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(8):ReReReRe:So...Mortal" , posted Fri 27 May 05:53post reply

quote:

It seems Kung Lao was supposed to take Liu Kang's place as the hero in Deadly Alliance. For some reason which I don't know, Midway decided to kill him and create a brand-new hero, Shujinko, for Deception. But I guess most players weren't pleased with the idea of an old man who mimics other fighters' abilities as the main hero, so Armageddon got Taven (even though Shujinko was still available) as the main guy.

It seems that during this second MK trilogy (MK4 is so different from the other MK games that it doesn't fit in either trilogy), they planned the story of each game without any idea of how to develop it in the next ones, thus scrapping ideas and planning new ones from game to game. That's a shame, because Deadly Alliance was a nice start; had they kept Kung Lao as the main guy in the following games, the story would probably be more cohesive (of course, Armageddon didn't have much of a story, but still...).

Kung Lao was a very cool character, I liked a lot the story in shaolin monks, it was a cool case of ''two rivals who later are very good friends''

But in the story mode of MK9 he had a horrible ending

Ishmael
4105th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):So...Mortal" , posted Sat 28 May 03:53post reply

Just a Person's post about the shifting protagonists of MK made me realize MK is the only fighting game series that moved away from their main character and never bothered to replace him. Other games have changed the lead character without causing any confusion or problems. KoF even helpfully labels the team your icon starts on as "hero team" in case you couldn't figure out they were the primary cast. But when MK went through with the brilliant idea of killing off Liu Kang they didn't seem to know where to go from there. No wonder the heroes of MK9 seem so icompetent; the game isn't focused on them, it's more into the crazy carnage that MK revels in. Characters who are trying to maintain the status quo are never going to do well against one of the game's main selling points.

quote:

Funny, I don't mind Ryu losing or Terry getting beaten up during the opening credits since the stakes aren't life and death. It seems to be all about context. For example, I found making Hibiki kill people in Last Blade 2 to be an unpleasant experience. Her horrified reactions pulled me out of the historical fantasy of the game. But with MK everybody seems to get killed all the time with no lasting effects. All the death is just part of the fun so I don't even think twice about it.

I especially seem to enjoy violently killing Kratos every time he pops up in MK9. After the disappointment of GoW3 somebody is going to have to pay.

sibarraz
120th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):So...Mortal" , posted Sat 28 May 04:23post reply

quote:
Just a Person's post about the shifting protagonists of MK made me realize MK is the only fighting game series that moved away from their main character and never bothered to replace him. Other games have changed the lead character without causing any confusion or problems. KoF even helpfully labels the team your icon starts on as "hero team" in case you couldn't figure out they were the primary cast. But when MK went through with the brilliant idea of killing off Liu Kang they didn't seem to know where to go from there. No wonder the heroes of MK9 seem so icompetent; the game isn't focused on them, it's more into the crazy carnage that MK revels in. Characters who are trying to maintain the status quo are never going to do well against one of the game's main selling points.

Funny, I don't mind Ryu losing or Terry getting beaten up during the opening credits since the stakes aren't life and death. It seems to be all about context. For example, I found making Hibiki kill people in Last Blade 2 to be an unpleasant experience. Her horrified reactions pulled me out of the historical fantasy of the game. But with MK everybody seems to get killed all the time with no lasting effects. All the death is just part of the fun so I don't even think twice about it.

I especially seem to enjoy violently killing Kratos every time he pops up in MK9. After the disappointme

Basically that's my point

All the characters in MK feel like props in a big war between shao kahn and raiden

But for example, Krauser beating Terry nearly to death was great because that was just putting some tension to the story (even though RBS doesn't had one) where you see the hero being beated, and expecting him to had some sort of payoff (specially in the second movie of fatal fury)

But in MK9, the payoff hasn't delivered for a while, liu kang was killed, he was sorta revived, and then, reboot, quan chi and shang tsung never got their commeupance since already another bad guy appeared, and then another bad guy appeared, and you forgot about him

At least I want to believe that Raiden has been the hero since the death of liu kang, with the other guys just been there.

I know that I read too much into MK story, but hnestly, it was the only interesting aspect that the series had for me after 4, is cool that since 9 I could talk about how great the game is

Just a Person
1480th Post

"The DLC fest" , posted Mon 4 Jul 04:19:post reply

You know, when the Netherrealm Studios promised DLC content for the new MK game, I thought the promises wouldn't be fulfilled, like back in the MKvsDC days. But from what I've been seeing, not only did they make the content, but the new content is actually GOOD!

First of all, new "kharakters", like the red female bloodthirsty ninja Skarlet and MK:DA swordsman Kenshi (who seems to be so much improved now). And two more kharakters are scheduled to come, one of them being purple ninja Rain (the other one wasn't revealed yet; Motaro would be awesome, but I know it's not gonna happen).

Some people are also getting their classic (or "klassik") looks, like Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Reptile, Ermac, Kitana, Mileena, Jade, Cyrax, Sektor, Smoke and Noob.

But the most surprising thing is that NRS is releasing free gameplay patches, to try to balance the gameplay among the characters. That's the kind of attention we'd never expect to see in Mortal Kombat.

It's kinda weird to realize that NRS is putting all this effort to deliver a complete DLC experience, while Capcom couldn't even bother making Rival Battle cutscenes for Yun, Yang, Evil Ryu and Oni in the AE upgrade for SSFIV...

[this message was edited by Just a Person on Mon 4 Jul 04:33]

GekigangerV
1703th Post

"Re(1):The DLC fest" , posted Tue 5 Jul 13:30post reply

quote:

It's kinda weird to realize that NRS is putting all this effort to deliver a com

Yeah, I really like the effort NRS is putting into DLC. If only the online play would improve as well. Only played a hand full of matches, but it is the worst I have experienced in an online fighting game.

Ishmael
4135th Post

"Re(2):The DLC fest" , posted Wed 6 Jul 21:58post reply

They are getting some serious mileage out of the same two or three outfits. I can't complain since I do find the old puffy ninja hoods and puffier vests charming but MK9 may be the only game around that is creating hype by offering less variety in its characters.

Speaking of characters, how are the DLC additions? Skarlet looks as blah as MvC3 Jill but Kenshi could have potential. How to they hold up in the actual game?

dr baghead
3804th Post

"Re(3):The DLC fest" , posted Thu 7 Jul 14:03post reply

quote:

Speaking of characters, how are the DLC additions? Skarlet looks as blah as MvC3 Jill but Kenshi could have potential. How to they hold up in the actual game?

Skarlet’s fun to play as, she’s a quick-hits melee type character.

Kenshi, is.... I haven’t figured out how he works yet, he has potential but I’m not sure if I’m supposed to play him keep away or melee... I do like how f**king cheap his Back, Foward X is, it DESTROYS Shao Khan.

Overall they’re both fun and I don’t feel cheated having bought either of them.

Skarlet feels like a better deal though since the Klassic Cyborgs are a better costume then the Klassic Smoke and Noob.

Did you know Klassic Smoke and Noob aren’t the same Kostume as Sub-Zero/Scorpion/Reptile/Ermac’s Klassic Kostumes? Does this mean we’ll get an MK2 version of Sub-Zero/Scorpion/Reptile/Ermac/Rain and an MK1 version of Smoke/Noob/Rain? Or is this some BS move so I hate the Klassic Noob and Smoke because they’re similar enough they look like the other ninjas but just different enough I hate how unmatchy they are.

my silly little drawin's

Ishmael
4138th Post

"Re(4):The DLC fest" , posted Sat 9 Jul 01:38post reply

quote:

Did you know Klassic Smoke and Noob aren’t the same Kostume as Sub-Zero/Scorpion/Reptile/Ermac’s Klassic Kostumes? Does this mean we’ll get an MK2 version of Sub-Zero/Scorpion/Reptile/Ermac/Rain and an MK1 version of Smoke/Noob/Rain? Or is this some BS move so I hate the Klassic Noob and Smoke because they’re similar enough they look like the other ninjas but just different enough I hate how unmatchy they are.

What I like is that they didn't even bother to make MK2 costumes for Kitana and the other girls. I guess there was no way to update those Jazzercise leotards to make them look like anything other than the home-made costumes they were.

Just a Person
1482th Post

"Re(5):The DLC fest" , posted Sat 9 Jul 02:55post reply

quote:

What I like is that they didn't even bother to make MK2 costumes for Kitana and the other girls. I guess there was no way to update those Jazzercise leotards to make them look like anything other than the home-made costumes they were.

Yup. The same probably applies to Cage's MK1 sash and tight lycra shorts, or basically all outfits Sonya had before MK4. Although back when there was the huge info leak regarding MK 2011 (Story Mode dialogues, ending descriptions, etc.), the ninja women did have their MKII outfits listed.

Regarding Klassik Noob and Klassik Smoke... eh, the differences in outfits with the other Klassik ninjas are minimal (tighter hood, different mask, apparently different boots as well), so I don't know if a MK2 version for Scorpion, Reptile and Ermac and/or a MK1 version for Noob and Smoke would be a big deal (even because technically Noob and Smoke weren't in the original MK to have a MK1 attire).

Sub-Zero, on the other hand, could have a MK2 version; if anything, as a reminder that MK1 Sub-Zero and MK2 Sub-Zero are different people (just like in Story Mode, Sub-Zero's alternate costume is used in the scenes involving MK1 Sub-Zero, while the regular costume is used for the MK2 Sub-Zero scenes). But it's okay if it doesn't happen.

dr baghead
3805th Post

"Re(6):The DLC fest" , posted Sun 10 Jul 11:22post reply

quote:
Regarding Klassik Noob and Klassik Smoke... eh, the differences in outfits with the other Klassik ninjas are minimal (tighter hood, different mask, apparently different boots as well), so I don't know if a MK2 version for Scorpion, Reptile and Ermac and/or a MK1 version for Noob and Smoke would be a big deal (even because technically Noob and Smoke weren't in the original MK to have a MK1 attire).

Yeah the differences are small but to me it’s all the difference in the world. It’s like “Your shower will pump out water at a temperature of 98 degrees" and “You shower will pump out water at a temperature of 9.8 degrees” a small difference makes things waaaay less tolerable.

I *CAN* tell the difference, even when playing the game, and to me the boot covers, hoods, and belts on the MK2 costume look stupid and I would have preferred the Mk1 look.

and yeah, they’re not in MK1, but neither is Ermac, nor was there a Cyber Sub-Zero in Mk3, if the point of the game is fan service (and not in the girls costume tearing and having bloody hand smacks on their asses way) and rewriting history then Smoke and Noob can have MK1 costumes and Ermac can have an MK2 costume, Smoke AND Cyber Sub can have a Retro Robot costume, shit I’m still hoping a ‘Klassic Female Ninja’ costume is made for Skarlet someday....

But I will concede one point: While I want MK1 Noob and Smoke I do not want them over any character getting a new costume. I’m hoping we see 4 non-ninjas get the next 4 costumes (Pajama Raiden, MK1 Kano, Uncle Fester Quan Chi, and X-Treme backwards Hat Striker are high on my want list)... I’ve seen a render for MK3 unmasked Sub-Zero floating around and if he’s an alt for Cyber Sub-Zero I’d be very excited to get him as well (if he’s for regular Sub-Zero HUGE MEH!) I want the patch costumes to be new and interesting things, not basically-the-same-as-the-last-patch-BS

(and I’m sure I’ll get them someday, MK fans LOOOOVE to bitch about stuff they didn’t get and were never promised, so someone is probably out there right now tweeting Boon about they DEMAND all ninjas in MK1 and MK2 costumes... and since it’s free money to release MK2 versions of the characters with MK1 costumes and MK1 versions of Noob and Smoke as a ‘fan demanded kostume pack!’ I just have to let nature take it’s course and go back to hoping “MK3 Sub-Zero for regular Sub-Zero and UMK3 Scorpion” aren’t the next patch costumes)

my silly little drawin's

sibarraz
164th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):The DLC fest" , posted Mon 11 Jul 10:03post reply

quote:

Yeah the differences are small but to me it’s all the difference in the world. It’s like “Your shower will pump out water at a temperature of 98 degrees" and “You shower will pump out water at a temperature of 9.8 degrees” a small difference makes things waaaay less tolerable.

I *CAN* tell the difference, even when playing the game, and to me the boot covers, hoods, and belts on the MK2 costume look stupid and I would have preferred the Mk1 look.

and yeah, they’re not in MK1, but neither is Ermac, nor was there a Cyber Sub-Zero in Mk3, if the point of the game is fan service (and not in the girls costume tearing and having bloody hand smacks on their asses way) and rewriting history then Smoke and Noob can have MK1 costumes and Ermac can have an MK2 costume, Smoke AND Cyber Sub can have a Retro Robot costume, shit I’m still hoping a ‘Klassic Female Ninja’ costume is made for Skarlet someday....

But I will concede one point: While I want MK1 Noob and Smoke I do not want them over any character getting a new costume. I’m hoping we see 4 non-ninjas get the next

I like your ideas for new DLC costumes

I also want to see generic MK1 Liu Kang and MK3 sonya,

Digitalboy
744th Post

XBL: JestingGenie99(automatednamecreatedbyXBL)

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(2):The DLC fest" , posted Mon 11 Jul 11:49post reply

Worse than KOF XII?

quote:
Only played a hand full of matches, but it is the worst I have experienced in an online fighting game.

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

sibarraz
165th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):The DLC fest" , posted Mon 11 Jul 12:06post reply

quote:
Worse than KOF XII?

Only played a hand full of matches, but it is the worst I have experienced in an online fighting game.

I still believe than the worst netcode for this generation isn't from XII

98um beats that netcode in awfulness

dr baghead
3806th Post

"Re(8):The DLC fest" , posted Tue 12 Jul 02:48post reply

quote:
I also want to see generic MK1 Liu Kang and MK3 sonya,

Oh good ones!

I hope a classic Liu Kang would have a more asian-build (since the games went 3D Liu has become a super buff body builder type, I think it’d be neat if a ‘klassic’ Liu was a lean and wiry like Bruce Lee)

also since “Blueberry and Lime” are the hints to the new costumes, I hope that means MK3 Sub-Zero (as a CSZ alt) is being joined by an MK3 Sonya and not Kitana and Jade getting MK2 costumes or regular Sub-Zero/Reptile getting anything.

my silly little drawin's

Just a Person
1484th Post

"Re(7):The DLC fest" , posted Tue 12 Jul 02:51:post reply

quote:
and yeah, they’re not in MK1, but neither is Ermac

Actually, Ermac was in MK1. Well, kinda.

As we know, there wasn't really a fighter named Ermac in MK1, but there was a glitch that made the costume of any ninja look red, and this would be referred as "Ermac" (as in "error macro", or something like that).

I guess that's the reason why Ermac got a MK1 outfit, while Smoke and Noob didn't. Speaking of Smoke, I wonder if one of the new DLC outfits is going to be a cyber-version of him (like the opposite that happened with Cyrax and Sektor, who got their human forms as alternate outfits).

Meanwhile, continuing with the DLC fest, Rain is coming up... and he got his "special roundhouse kick" back!

quote:
I also want to see generic MK1 Liu Kang and MK3 sonya

MK1 Liu Kang would be awesome, back to the time when he didn't have that awful mullet hairstyle!

As for Sonya, I actually prefer her MK4 outfit (even though MK4 isn't represented in MK 2011); in my opinion, her clothes in both MK1 and MK3 look like silly aerobics class clothes (Kerri Hoskins managed to distract us from the silliness of her costume in MK3, however, unfortunately Kerri Hoskins is no longer playing Sonya...).

[this message was edited by Just a Person on Tue 12 Jul 03:02]

dr baghead
3807th Post

"Re(8):The DLC fest" , posted Tue 12 Jul 13:07post reply

quote:
Actually, Ermac was in MK1. Well, kinda.

If we’re going off bullshit rumors then Smoke AND Noob are both in Mk1, well, kinda.

Smoke came about because Scorpion and Sub-Zero’s costumes would turn grey when set on fire by Fatalities, it’s referenced directly in the new game.

Noob is of course Bi Han, and since Noob’s P2 is Bi Han shouldn’t his klassic kostume also represent Bi Han?

yeah, I WANT my damned MK1 Smoke and Noob, if “Error Marco” code earns Ermac one smoke getting a costume because there were grey ninjas in MK1 and Noob getting one because he’s MK1 Sub should be reason enough.

my silly little drawin's

Just a Person
1484th Post

"Re(9):The DLC fest" , posted Tue 12 Jul 21:57post reply

quote:
If we’re going off bullshit rumors then Smoke AND Noob are both in Mk1, well, kinda.

Smoke came about because Scorpion and Sub-Zero’s costumes would turn grey when set on fire by Fatalities, it’s referenced directly in the new game.

Noob is of course Bi Han, and since Noob’s P2 is Bi Han shouldn’t his klassic kostume also represent Bi Han?

yeah, I WANT my damned MK1 Smoke and Noob, if “Error Marco” code earns Ermac one smoke getting a costume because there were grey ninjas in MK1 and Noob getting one because he’s MK1 Sub should be reason enough.

Good point.

Well, maybe these costumes will be released later? It's not like if NRS would have to work hard to implement a costume that already exists into other characters...

dr baghead
3808th Post

"Re(10):The DLC fest" , posted Sun 17 Jul 10:32post reply

Next free costumes are MK2 Kitana and Jade.... WHAT... THE... FUCKING... HELL!?!

Does this mean MK2 Mileena will come with the next character? Or does she not get an MK2 costume so it’s “fair” she and the other two MK ladies all have 4 costumes each?... does this give new hope to my “Want MK1 Smoke/Noob” cause and an MK1 Smoke/Noob, Mk2 Mileena, MK2 everyone else, and UMK3 males kostume pack is coming?

If the point of the free costumes is to encourage someone to download the patch, shouldn’t the costumes not be something you already a better version of?

I’ve f**king hated the last two free costumes, and if it wasn’t for the fact I actually wanted to play as Kenshi and Rain I wouldn’t have gotten them (since I don’t play on-line anyway so it doesn’t even matter if I like the costumes or not, they’re just a ’thanks for downloading, hope this was worth your 2 seconds’ for people who do...)

This is all kinds of BS...

opposite side of BS, though Rain’s trailer: HOLY CRAP! I’ve got my $5 ready because he looks like fun. This Tuesday Kratos shall learn what it feels like when doves cry as I beat his ass like it’s 1999!!!

my silly little drawin's

Just a Person
1485th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):The DLC fest" , posted Sun 17 Jul 12:13post reply

quote:
Next free costumes are MK2 Kitana and Jade.... WHAT... THE... FUCKING... HELL!?!

Does this mean MK2 Mileena will come with the next character? Or does she not get an MK2 costume so it’s “fair” she and the other two MK ladies all have 4 costumes each?...

Wait, Mileena has 4 costumes already? I thought she had 3 costumes and 1 LACK OF COSTUME (come on, a couple of bandages can't be counted as a costume).

Poor girl, no wonder she walks around naked in bandages if NRS is refusing to give her new (...well, old) clothes to wear. I hope she gets the MKII costume soon.

dr baghead
3809th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):The DLC fest" , posted Mon 18 Jul 05:18post reply

quote:
Wait, Mileena has 4 costumes already? I thought she had 3 costumes and 1 LACK OF COSTUME (come on, a couple of bandages can't be counted as a costume).

Poor girl, no wonder she walks around naked in bandages if NRS is refusing to give her new (...well, old) clothes to wear. I hope she gets the MKII costume soon.

the Flesh Pits costume is weird on several reasons:

-is she really that naked comparatively? The only thing less covered then any of her other costumes (or for that matter more covered then Kitana or Jade) is the fact she doesn’t have gloves, boots, or a mask... and speaking of which

-SHE HAS A GODDAMNED MONSTER FACE!!! How could the design team think this could be considered a ‘sexy’ look when she’s got Baraka’s mouth?!?! If we’re supposed to over look the monster face, isn’t Sheeva’s defauly costume already waaaay skimpier then this one? Why is Sheeva just a monster but Flesh Pits Mileena is “BEST... ALTERNATE... EVER!”?!

This leads me to believe NRS is made up of genderless beings (or “Neutachos”) who are unaware what human males find sexy.

“Human males will enjoy a pretty lady wearing a slutty mummy costume”... except she has a damned shark face!!!

“Human males will enjoy the fact pretty lady’s outfit tears to reveal underboob and butt checks”... except it also tears to reveal her damned rib cage and internal organs (seriously, I can’t wrap my brain around this... if the dude’s got bloody and the chicks got naked, sure then it’s just fun. But the fact the dude’s costumes don’t get skimpy and the checks get torn to shreads AND nude is horrifying, it means someone thinks it’s “hot” to have Sonya’s boobs hanging out and her nose turned into a brused stump, but decided no one wants to see Johnny Cage’s pants tear off revealing his man-thong underpants or something.)

on subject though:
I’d glady buy a ninja pack 2 with the following:
-MK1 Smoke/Noob/Rain
-MK2 Skarlet/Mileena/non-Smoke/Noob male ninjas
-UMK3 Skarlet/male ninjas
-Retro Robots CSZ and Smoke

but I’d also very much like to buy some non-ninja costumes, not even just “klassics” I’d buy a pack with “Ninja Mime” or something new for Nightwolf or other characters whos looks never changed much or something too.

I just want NRS to take my money and give me something fun, and right now another set of ninjas isn’t fun... and yes, I’m aware I’m upset about getting ninjas for free when I’m buying a $5 ninja... but at least that $5 is a weird Artist Formerly Known As Prince joke taken to far.

my silly little drawin's

sibarraz
183th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):The DLC fest" , posted Mon 18 Jul 08:02post reply

quote:

This leads me to believe NRS is made up of genderless beings (or “Neutachos”) who are unaware what human males find sexy.

“Human males will enjoy a pretty lady wearing a slutty mummy costume”... except she has a damned shark face!!!

“Human males will enjoy the fact pretty lady’s outfit tears to reveal underboob and butt checks”... except it also tears to reveal her damned rib cage and internal organs (seriously, I can’t wrap my brain around this... if the dude’s got bloody and the chicks got naked, sure then it’s just fun

If we consider that in MK every women looks like a tranny, you may be into something

October 25 is the date!

dr baghead
3810th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):The DLC fest" , posted Tue 19 Jul 13:49post reply

quote:
If we consider that in MK every women looks like a tranny, you may be into something

Hey, Hey, Hey now... not EVERY women, only every women rendered in 3D, the digitized ladies from the original games, the actresses in the movies, and the live-action models dressed up to look girls of MK(’11) all looked like real ladies...

Also I think it’s insulting to call them “trannies” trannies implies transexuals and there a lot of doctors who do work good enough you can’t tell, so be nice! you can’t lump Poison in the same group with manjawed Sonya... Transvestites, yeah TOTALLY, they absolutely look like men in drag! But c’mon, wouldn’t a man being turned into a lady have the doctor shave their jaw down a bit and maybe take some hormone therapy to bulk down a little?

my silly little drawin's

dr baghead
3811th Post

"WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!!!!" , posted Fri 22 Jul 14:39post reply

So it looks like the final DLC is Freddy Kreuger.... thanks, NRS?

I’ll look at this two ways:

on the plus side:
- I did say on this very board when MKvDC came out a better crossover would be movie slasher with Fatalities... so, I guess I did ask for this...
-I’ve wanted a Slasher Fighting game for years, so maybe what with NRS basically being part of the same company that owns Freddy, Jason, AND Leatherface a few calls here and there can get them Pinhead, Ghostface, and Micheal Myers (all from Dimension Films), a call to Universal could get them Chucky and maybe some of the Classics and monster hunter Hugh Jackman, call up Ghosthouse and you could probably almost get Ash until Sam Raimi realizes this means there’s demand for an Ash in a game then pulls out of the crossover and tries to make this own before giving up and letting Diablo Cody shit all over it, and I have no clue who owns Leprechaun right now, but he NEEDS to be in it... Get to it Boon!!! Start making some calls and MAKE THE DAMNED GAME I WANTED INSTEAD OF MKvDC!!! Then when you’re done with that Capcom will think you’re not so gross and return your calls about MKvSF...

on the downside:
-it’s not Robert England
-it doesn’t talk aside from grunts
-it has two claws
-it just looks really really lazy

so, eh, I’ll still give them my $5 and I want them to try and make MKvSlashers since it just needs to happen, I just wish that mysterious 3rd Cyborg from the web show stills or some new rumor-character was the big 4th character.

my silly little drawin's

kofoguz
915th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!!!!" , posted Fri 22 Jul 16:01post reply

quote:
-it has two claws

Made me think it was influenced by....

....Choi.

End of Spoiler

Oh, the irony!

jUAN
4555th Post

PSN: Buttermonster
XBL: Prepaidpenguin
Wii: rofl

"Re(1):WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!!!!" , posted Fri 22 Jul 16:41:post reply

quote:

-I’ve wanted a Slasher Fighting game for years, so maybe what with NRS basically being part of the same company that owns Freddy, Jason, AND Leatherface a few calls here and there can get them Pinhead, Ghostface, and Micheal Myers (all from Dimension Films), a call to Universal could get them Chucky and maybe some of the Classics and monster hunter Hugh Jackman, call up Ghosthouse and you could probably almost get Ash until Sam Raimi

HERE YOU GO JUST AS GOOD AS MORTAL KOMBATT NINER

[this message was edited by jUAN on Fri 22 Jul 16:44]

dr baghead
3812th Post

"Re(2):WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!!!!" , posted Fri 22 Jul 18:19post reply

quote:
-it has two claws
Made me think it was influenced by....

That sounds more pleasant then “couldn’t figure out how to animate an asymmetrical design

quote:

actually that does look to be about as much fun as MKvDC. Clunky combos, awkward move sets, good enough looking 3D models animated amateurishly... it’s like looking into another dimension were Midway had made a MK crossover that made more sense and I assume DC fighting was left to awful MUGEN edits.

Looks like Freddy, Jason, and Ash aren’t in the newest version though so I won’t even bother giving it a try...

my silly little drawin's

Just a Person
1488th Post

"Re(2):WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!!!!" , posted Fri 22 Jul 22:17post reply

quote:

-I’ve wanted a Slasher Fighting game for years, so maybe what with NRS basically being part of the same company that owns Freddy, Jason, AND Leatherface a few calls here and there can get them Pinhead, Ghostface, and Micheal Myers (all from Dimension Films), a call to Universal could get them Chucky and maybe some of the Classics and monster hunter Hugh Jackman, call up Ghosthouse and you could probably almost get Ash until Sam Raimi

Is this game real or just a fan project?

Anyway, a Mortal Kombat vs. all the people in this game would be incredible! Certainly that would be a much better fit than DC superheroes.

It should be done in the MK9 engine, however, not in this TerrorDrome one...

GekigangerV
1710th Post

PSN: gekijmo

"Re(3):WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!!!!" , posted Sun 24 Jul 05:03post reply

Finally got a chance to catch up on MK news.

Freddy isn't too much of a surprise considering there were rumors a few months ago. Still would have preferred an MK character though. I wouldn't be surprised if he sells the most of all the DLC though.

I got a chance to play as Rain this weekend and I really dig him. Inspired me to hit up ladder on expert to get the trophy. Got a couple of rank matches with him as well. Surprised to find that the online mode is MUCH better. I think it actually is now better than SF4 or MvC3. The only bad parts though are that rank matches take forever to find and you can't use your DLC in some king of the hill rooms. I know the arcade Xbox consoles are holding back forced DLC compatibility, but I wish we got it forced on PS3. They aren't too big from what I saw. Only 70 MB for Rain IIRC.

DR BaGHeaD
3813th Post

"blah blah blarg words...." , posted Thu 28 Jul 01:55post reply

quote:
Is this game real or just a fan project?

a now dead fan project, they got letters from Orion and the WB asking for the removal of Ash, Freddy, and Jason or they’d face legal action so they chose to stop work on the game since it lost it’s 3 most popular characters.

But since NRS has access to Freddy and Jason (and Leatherface) all day any day they’d just need rights to Ash and since he has a videogame license he can’t be too hard to get. Then once they have Ash it’s either obtain the remaining rights from Miramax/Dimension and Universal (and whatever other monsters they want in) or if any of those deals fall through, make Ash a normal MK DLC and people would still go ape shit.... win-win WB, get your licensing team on it on!

And since there’s nothing to talk about except Freddy, here’s another crazy concept based on the WB owning MK:

Could we finally see 'MK vs SF’ and ‘Marvel Vs DC’?!?!

Think about it, Boon wants to make MKvSF (not to be confused with MK:SF which no one ever would.) But I don’t think Capcom would ever play ball with that.... UNLESS!

Capcom knows fans want ‘Marvel Vs DC’ it’s been something they’ve wanted since the first XMvSF... could the WB barter use of their DC heroes for the Street Fighters?!?! Allowing both companies to use the other’s property to make fan demanded crossovers and get lots and lots of money in the process?!?!

so tl,dr:
-NRS: get Ash license, then let the pieces fall in place for MKvSlashers!
-WB/Capcom: trade SF and DC characters so the following can happen:
-MKvSF
-Marvel vs DC
-Marvel vs Capcom vs DC vs MK (made by Capcom so it’s good)
-if another MKvDC comes out before any of those games I will personally punch every on both creative teams in their heads at the next ComicCon not only ensuring I get my point across but making sure there’s a “Harry Potter fan gets stabbed/Actor who plays Lizard arrested!!” faux-drama story next year too!!!

still tl,dr:
wishlisting!

my silly little drawin's

sibarraz
200th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(4):WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!!!!" , posted Thu 28 Jul 02:07post reply

quote:
Finally got a chance to catch up on MK news.

Freddy isn't too much of a surprise considering there were rumors a few months ago. Still would have preferred an MK character though. I wouldn't be surprised if he sells the most of all the DLC though.

I got a chance to play as Rain this weekend and I really dig him. Inspired me to hit up ladder on expert to get the trophy. Got a couple of rank matches with him as well. Surprised to find that the online mode is MUCH better. I think it actually is now better than SF4 or MvC3. The only bad parts though are that rank matches take forever to find and you can't use your DLC in some king of the hill rooms. I know the arcade Xbox consoles are holding back forced DLC compatibility, but I wish we got it forced on PS3. They aren't too big from what I saw. Only 70 MB for Rain IIRC.

On 360 you are not forced to download them, tons of guys hadn't do it yet

Just a Person
1495th Post

"Cyber Sub-Zero finally gets alternate outfit" , posted Sat 6 Aug 11:56post reply

MK3 Cyber Sub-Zero (even though he/it didn't even exist back then) + maskless UMK3 Human Sub-Zero

dr baghead
3814th Post

"Re(1):Cyber Sub-Zero finally gets alternate o" , posted Sat 6 Aug 12:18post reply

quote:
MK3 Cyber Sub-Zero (even though he/it didn't even exist back then) + maskless UMK3 Human Sub-Zero

Both of those should be for Cyber (who also should be called CYBORG Sub-Zero, it’s 1993 anymore people should know the difference) Sub Zero costumes... but eh, at least we’re getting some cool free shit again the last 4 were very bland.

my silly little drawin's

dR bAGHEAD
3815th Post

"Hard days Nightmare..." , posted Sat 13 Aug 02:46post reply

Freddy is a lot of fun to play as, even if it’s extremely odd he lacks:
-a spin move (like Choi’s... all they have to do is reskin Baraka’s spin)
-a dragon punch (I thought Sektor’s teleport punch would have been a natural fit for him)

the fact he has two claws makes me wonder if Jason will carry two machettes so he doesn’t get mirrored weird (we know he’s coming since the rumor was Freddy AND Jason would hit around Halloween...)

The bonus costumes he comes with (and are mandatory for PS3 users) are pretty awesome too Retro CSZ looks great and it’s what I wanted in MK3 when I was 12, unmasked human Sub Zero isn’t accurate to MK3 but is better for it (he also looks vaguely asian unlike the guy who played him in MK3/MKM:SZ and a little younger too, even if it does make him look like Prince Zuko it’s a nice change then going for an exact copy of the actor’s face.) and it’s pretty cool seeing him do the spin rip.

Something interesting or not:
Both guest characters seem to exist within the MK universe (Kratos is “the greatest of all time” implying he’s from the past, and Freddy just up and challenges Shao Khan, neither were sucked through dimensional rifts like the DC cast(

Both also make total sense using MK universe logic:
-Kratos existing explains why the elder gods won’t let Raiden take a more proactive role. If they have a historical example of a god favoring their champion, saving him from certain death, only to have the same mortal destroy an entire pantheon out of petty spite of course they’re going to tell Raiden to let Liu Kange handle it on his own and not to get involved, they know the second Raiden gives Liu an advantage in a fight is the second Liu Kang goes bananas and murders Raiden and all his friends because he wasn’t allowed to try rollerblading when he was younger.

-In MK people die and come back as evil netherrealm spirits all the time (Scoprion and Noob are all the time...) and Stryker doesn’t know what’s going on when the invasion starts, but also isn’t very impressed by the supernatural monsters... so MK already runs on Freddy logic, sure were you can come back from the dead with amazing powers for revenge and murder people and the cops don’t give a crap because they got REAL problems to worry about.

So overall, I think NRS chose two very nice guest characters who fit well and add to an non-cannon-but-sort-of-cannon expanded MK universe... and hopefully Darth Vader or some bullshit doesn’t end up in MK2(’12)... or would it be Worf or 7of9 in MK, since if MK versed DC clearly they have to verse the opposite of Star Wars to keep consistant.

my silly little drawin's

Ishmael
4184th Post

"Re(1):Hard days Nightmare..." , posted Tue 16 Aug 03:42post reply

quote:
-In MK people die and come back as evil netherrealm spirits all the time

Nevermind the characters coming back, it's the way the MK franchise ability to revive that impresses me.

Now that MK9 has been confirmed as a hit I wonder what is next for the series. Will MK continue to court the tournament crowd? If so, what will be changed for MK10? Will the game engine get an overhaul? Will crazy ideas such as the random generator on trades get looked at? Will there even be a MK10 any time soon or will there be several revisions of MK9 instead?

Just a Person
1497th Post

"Re(2):Hard days Nightmare..." , posted Tue 16 Aug 05:15post reply

quote:
-In MK people die and come back as evil netherrealm spirits all the time
Nevermind the characters coming back, it's the way the MK franchise ability to revive that impresses me.

Now that MK9 has been confirmed as a hit I wonder what is next for the series. Will MK continue to court the tournament crowd? If so, what will be changed for MK10? Will the game engine get an overhaul? Will crazy ideas such as the random generator on trades get looked at? Will there even be a MK10 any time soon or will there be several revisions of MK9 instead?

A hit, indeed: nearly 3 million units already sold?? Quite impressive...

Regarding sequels X revisions, I don't think Boon will follow the Capcom route - even though he could. That said, MK10 may not differ a lot from MK9 in terms of gameplay. NRS may work to correct any gameplay flaws and implement one new trick or two, but I don't see them doing anything more radical than that. And they really don't need to, anyway.

It's great to see Mortal Kombat alive and kicking once again! Now come on, Rare, it's your turn to bring back a Killer Instinct: Reloaded or something like that...

ZamIAm
1811th Post

"Personal thoughts" , posted Fri 16 Dec 15:03post reply

Funny that I started the thread but I'm just now weighing in on the game. I played it some earlier in the year but only just now own it (well...my brother owns it).

It's a mixed bag of things I like and dislike within it. As a whole there's probably more good but:

I gotta say the "all heroes die!!!" thing did really annoy me. In Deadly Alliance/Deception the deaths felt like they were leading to something or at least upping the stakes. In MK9 it felt more like it was done just for shock factor, especially since more heroes than villains died. Plus, with it being Sonya and Johnny Cage surviving I jokingly made an internal note that it was the minorities who got killed off. I will say that despite being immune to the hyperviolence of most fatalities, I found Sindel's massacre of the heroes to be one of the most brutal parts of the game due to how it played out and the context of the situation. MK is interesting in that it could be argued that its violence is misused and misses some chances at a stronger narrative.

End of Spoiler

I find it interesting that in some ways I miss MK vs DC. Oh sure, it was a goofy idea but I feel that it mostly improved on some of the 2D + 3D concepts of the previous games. If only it wasn't so ridiculously broken. I mean, I'd gladly welcome a DC only game with an improved version of that engine though I don't expect it to ever happen with the game's bad rep, DCUO's existence, and the New 52 reboot altering characters.

As far as something mentioned earlier concerning female characters and "sexy" outfits, I feel the previous 3D games did this better. A lot of them were pretty overt but they seemed to fit better for their character. Mileena generally showed more skin than Kitana but that fit in with Mileena having a more flirtatious personality. Seeing Kitana's MK9 outfit for the first time made me go "huhwhat?" since it seemed "wrong" after getting used to the others. I also gotta agree that covered in blood, bashed in faces, and multiple stab wounds is not an even exchange for torn clothing on the female characters.

Just a Person
1513th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Personal thoughts" , posted Sat 17 Dec 03:02post reply

quote:
I find it interesting that in some ways I miss MK vs DC. Oh sure, it was a goofy idea but I feel that it mostly improved on some of the 2D + 3D concepts of the previous games. If only it wasn't so ridiculously broken. I mean, I'd gladly welcome a DC only game with an improved version of that engine though I don't expect it to ever happen with the game's bad rep, DCUO's existence, and the New 52 reboot altering characters.

Thinking about it, both DC Comics and Mortal Kombat underwent a sort of reboot of their continuities. It would be interesting to see how a MKvsDC-2 would be in this new situation.

Or even inserting Mortal Kombat into the DC Universe, with a comic book of its own. I know, it won't happen, but one can dream...