REDLINE! (i love youuu... I love youuu...) - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1944 Views )

nobinobita
822th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"REDLINE! (i love youuu... I love youuu...)" , posted Sat 9 Oct 06:17post reply

Hey California people,

Redline, the insanely great looking new film from Takeshi Koike (Trava Fist Planet, Aeon Flux, Ninja Scroll, every great animated film from Madhouse from the last 3 decades) and Katsuhito Ishii (The Taste of Tea, Shark Skin Man, Peach Hip Girl, Funky Forrest) opens today at the Viz Theater in San Francisco.

I did a little preview of it on my blog.

Check it out yo!

http://art-eater.com/2010/10/redline-opens-this-weekend-2/

www.art-eater.com

Replies:

Tai-Pan
488th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):REDLINE! (i love youuu... I love youuu." , posted Sat 9 Oct 06:35post reply

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW What is this?! Wowwowowow. Not seriously. Who will be distributing this? I need to watch and OWN this yesterday

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

karasu99
442th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris
Wii: n/a

Gold Customer

"Re(1):REDLINE! (i love youuu... I love youuu." , posted Sat 9 Oct 06:42post reply

quote:
Hey California people,

Redline, the insanely great looking new film from Takeshi Koike (Trava Fist Planet, Aeon Flux, Ninja Scroll, every great animated film from Madhouse from the last 3 decades) and Katsuhito Ishii (The Taste of Tea, Shark Skin Man, Peach Hip Girl, Funky Forrest) opens today at the Viz Theater in San Francisco.

I did a little preview of it on my blog.

Check it out yo!

http://art-eater.com/2010/10/redline-opens-this-weekend-2/

OOOOHHHHHHHHHHH! Now I have to cross my fingers that it opens somewhere in Portland! I know it will eventually-- I mean SOON. There are roughly 7 million arthouse movie theaters here, so odds favor it. But still.

It appears to contain much of what I like about anime these days, with very little of what I don't like.

Hey, thanks for mentioning this (and writing it up on your blog!).

HAYATO
1002th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):REDLINE! (i love youuu... I love youuu." , posted Sat 9 Oct 06:47post reply

Seemingly a really interesting movie, I've been looking forward to it for a while. I'm glad to know that it's going to be such an atypical project, with great attention to details and animated (crafted) via traditional methods (wich is a huge plus in my book). I'll try to keep track of it closely from now on...

BTW Nobi, do you have any news about the Sci-Fi anime film "Mardock Scramble"? It's been a while since the last time I last heard of it...

Gojira
2655th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
Wii: 80085

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):REDLINE! (i love youuu... I love youuu." , posted Sat 9 Oct 09:12:post reply

Kinda reminds me of The Running Man, that short from Liquid Television that looked way too good to have been made for the show (and it wasn't, of course... although the dub on the LT version is much better for some reason).

shipoopi

[this message was edited by Gojira on Sat 9 Oct 09:14]

Ishmael
3909th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(3):REDLINE! (i love youuu... I love youuu." , posted Sat 9 Oct 10:36post reply

This most certainly looks like one to catch in the theater. My guess is that the motion, color and spectacle of the movie is going to be the main draw so seeing it in its natural enviornment of the silver screen is a must.

Nobinobita
823th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):REDLINE! (i love youuu... I love youuu." , posted Sun 10 Oct 09:43post reply

RRRREEEEEEEDLIIIIIIINNNNNEEEEEEEEE!!!

Just got back from the theater. Left with a beaming smile on my face and my heart racing all the way home.

Redline was a whole lot of honest, unrestrained awesome. I don't want to overhype it, it's not a perfect movie, might not be to everyone's tastes, but it's also not inaccessible. It really is just a ton of fun. Very beautiful, substantial fun. I'll post some more detailed impressions later.

I think it will probably make the indie theater circuit. Cities like Portland, DC and NY should eventually get it. If you live within an hour or two of any place playing Redline, I would say it's worth the trip. It's one of those rare movies that is truly meant to be seen in a theater, just as Ishmael wisely surmised.

@Hayato, I don't really know anything about Mardock Scramble. A quick google search tells me that it was planned as an OAV and then cancelled. A shame since Range Murata would have been the character designer. Got any more info on it?

@Gojira There's definitely all shades of The Running Man in Redline. Don't quote me on this, but I believe Koike (the director of Redline) was an animator on Running Man. Both films were produced by Madhouse so there's probably alot of overlap in talent.

www.art-eater.com

HAYATO
1004th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(2):REDLINE! (i love youuu... I love youuu." , posted Sun 10 Oct 22:05post reply

quote:

@Hayato, I don't really know anything about Mardock Scramble. A quick google search tells me that it was planned as an OAV and then cancelled. A shame since Range Murata would have been the character designer. Got any more info on it?

The only info I remember was pretty much what a youtube user comments on the TAF 2010 trailer :

"The very first trailer revealing the long-desired anime incarnation of Mardock Scramble, adapted by studio GoHands as a theatrical film trilogy based on Tow Ubukata's sci-fi novel series. This is the second attempt at adapting said novel into an anime project, after Geneon's failed attempt at a Mardock Scramble OVA - which they cancelled in December 2006. The original novel is about a girl who dies as her body is burned by "the bad guy". However she resurrects, and sets herself on a path for revenge. The trilogy will begin in Japan this autumn, with the anime film titled Mardock Scramble: The First Compression"

You likely found info about the cancelled OVA project, but this time it seems they aim to complete an animated film trilogy. Although it looks like a rejected GitS script or any Shirow-esque spin-off of shorts, this Mardock Scramble seems worthy of attention... especially if tyou are a cyberpunk junkie like me!!

KTallguy
1264th Post

PSN: Hunter-KT
XBL: n/a

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(3):REDLINE! (i love youuu... I love youuu." , posted Sat 23 Oct 00:17post reply

I just saw it, back from the theater.

It was really an amazing film. The flow of action sequences was well balanced by quieter moments, the main characters were well fleshed out without too much heavy back story, the minor characters all had recognizable quirks that made them each memorable, and the central narrative was lean and mean, no wasted material.

I can't think of one unnecessary scene in the entire film.

The collision of those two extremely powerful forces in the last half was ... almost overwhelming. The whole movie was so gloriously over the top that it almost looped around full circle, where the race was seemingly child's play when compared with the carnage going on around them.

Thankfully the climax of the movie basically blew everything else away.

Excellent, old school, innocent fun. You gotta go see it.

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

Oroch
1103th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):REDLINE! (i love youuu... I love youuu." , posted Mon 25 Oct 21:21post reply

trailer looks interesting, i never see anything in the theater anymore, but if it comes to chicago ill keep an eye out for it

JUST FOR YOU