Question regarding PS3 disc scratches - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (4581 Views )

Professor
2816th Post

user profileedit/delete message

MMCafe Owner

"Question regarding PS3 disc scratches" , posted Wed 6 Oct 23:41:post reply

Since this BBS seems to have many long-term PS3 users, Just a quick Question. The Blu-Ray is reputed for its tough coating, but how hard or easy is it to actually get a small scratch on the disc from daily usage, and do they render game discs (which can't skip data unlike Bluray movies) into frisbees as often warned? Or do the discs seem to be really durable as boasted? If anyone can contribute their own experiences, that would be great.

I had purchased a slim console and a game about two months ago; I noticed the disc recently got 2 scratches. Given that it has been constantly handled with care, I am having troubles trying to figure out where it could have scratched. The drive may possibly be the culprit, but if it was, I would assume that it would produce the damage more constantly. Yet, given the reports that Blu-ray discs require exessive force for surface damage, it's hard to think of other factors.

[this message was edited by Professor on Thu 7 Oct 00:52]

Replies:

HAYATO
999th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):Question regarding PS3 disc scratches" , posted Thu 7 Oct 00:51post reply

quote:
Since this BBS seems to have many long-term PS3 users, Just a quick Question. The Blu-Ray is reputed for a tough coating, but how hard or easy is it to actually get a small scratch on the disc from daily usage? Do they appear from time to time, or are the discs really as durable as often cited? If anyone can contribute their own experiences, that would be great.

I had purchased a slim console and a game about two months ago; I noticed the disc recently got 2 scratches. Given that it has been constantly handled with care, I am having troubles trying to figure out where it could have scratched. The drive may possibly be the culprit, but if it was, I would assume that it would produce the damage more constantly. Yet, given the reports that Blu-ray discs require exessive force for surface damage, it's hard to think of other factors.

Right now, creating backups on the PS3's internal HDD is the craze. You know, no matter how durable an optical disk is, it is doomed to be scratched in the end...

I'd strongly suggest you to get a PS3 with 3.41 FW installed and go the pirate backup route. In case you upgraded the firmware already, then don't worry too much about it: IIRC, scratches on a BD aren't such an important issue, as data is engraed on a deeper layer than the one used on CDs or DVDs. So, pay no heed to them unless they are affecting to your gaming experience (choppy and laggy animations where there weren't any before, unreadable disc messages and such...)

Gojira
2654th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
Wii: 80085

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Question regarding PS3 disc scratches" , posted Thu 7 Oct 03:29:post reply

Yeah, scratches should have very little effect (if any) on a BD game. The worst they can do to a BD is make it look battle-worn. You'd have to really intentionally want to hurt a BD in order to damage the data layer.

However, blu-ray drives themselves have been known to be a little unreliable. If you ever have problems with BDs reading slow or not at all in a PS3, it's more likely to be the drive rather than the actual game.

But as for what caused the scratches, I don't know. My discs are spotless, but then I own an older 60GB model. You didn't try to move the console while there was a disc inside, did you?

shipoopi

[this message was edited by Gojira on Thu 7 Oct 03:34]

Chillypepper
54th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Question regarding PS3 disc scratches" , posted Thu 7 Oct 07:06post reply

The PS3 Blu Rays are actually very resistant to scratches, meaning that even if its scratched, the disc has a layer that is meant for just that: scratches. Since the data was so close to the surface, a new coat of protection was required in order for BluRays to be playable under scratches.

Here is a PS3 disc stress test that was amusing to me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5jEbZt6AIQ

Professor
2819th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Question regarding PS3 disc scratches" , posted Thu 7 Oct 14:31:post reply

I thought the Blu ray used extremely damage-resistant coating (the Durabis and alternative protections), but once it gets scratched, it can potentially be a major problem, given that data on Blu Ray is just 0.1mm from the disc's surface as opposed to CDs and DVDs that are 0.6mm (right in the middle of the disc).

That also causes issues in scratch repair since stores can't polish off a thin layer of the surface the way they do with other discs. There are new machines rolling out that can polish by the microns, but their reliability isn't well known yet since they aren't installed at most facilites.

And of course, moving the console around while it's operating is a bad idea, so no.
Thus far in the past 2 days, I haven't been able to replicate the damage from normal useage. Quite bizzare and Quite intriguing.

[this message was edited by Professor on Thu 7 Oct 16:47]

TheRedKnight
280th Post

PSN: no
XBL: no
Wii: no

Copper Customer

"Re(3):Question regarding PS3 disc scratches" , posted Thu 7 Oct 19:53:post reply

I have a 40gb asian fat model that also happens to be my CD player. Which means that I take out my copy of VF5 from the console pretty damn often (daily), and I just lay it down on the table next to the console with the data side up... Not a single scratch on it yet!

...Oh, and when it comes to playing 3D games on big HD screens, my brain goes haywire and I feel really uncomfortable afterwards for a while. Warhawk did terrible things to me. (didn't feel like answering your question in that thread.)

EDIT: OK, I just had my first Blu-ray disc problems caused by a brand new game. There was a line of crap on the surface that I had to gently scrub away with a microfiber cloth. The drive was panicking before I noticed it.. How can brand new games have dirty discs???

THE LEGEND OF THE STRONGEST FIGHTING LORD OF ALL TIME!

[this message was edited by TheRedKnight on Thu 11 Nov 18:28]