Ishmael
3882th Post

user profileedit/delete message

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"SSF4Arcade" , posted Sun 12 Sep 03:18post reply

Youtube clip that lets you use your imagination.

Listing of new characters and changes at Eventhubs that I'm too lazy to copy/paste.

Random thoughts:

Sounds like Makoto is getting some good buffs.

Hakan is going to be able to oil up like nobody's business.

Zangief's EX green hand doesn't knock down which could be good or bad depending on recovery and so on. We'll see what this will bring for the Z-man.

Psycho Punisher is now a charge move... huh?

Replies:

jUAN
4542th Post

PSN: Buttermonster
XBL: Prepaidpenguin
Wii: rofl

"Re(1):SSF4Arcade" , posted Sun 12 Sep 08:32post reply

quote:
• Seth's Jumping Hard Punch is gone, the stretchy arm one copied from Dhalsim. Now Seth does something akin to Guile's Crouching Hard Punch.

there goes the entire strategy of most Seth players

KTallguy
1255th Post

PSN: Hunter-KT

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):SSF4Arcade" , posted Sun 12 Sep 20:33post reply

quote:
• Seth's Jumping Hard Punch is gone, the stretchy arm one copied from Dhalsim. Now Seth does something akin to Guile's Crouching Hard Punch.

Good riddance if you ask me.
No commentary on Ibuki unfortunately... but I've been slacking, haven't played SF4 in forever.

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

Nekros
304th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(3):SSF4Arcade" , posted Mon 13 Sep 00:19post reply

quote:

Good riddance if you ask me.
No commentary on Ibuki unfortunately... but I've been slacking, haven't played SF4 in forever.

For what i've know, Ibuki can now link HK in her target combo. No nerfed moves detected.

KTallguy
1257th Post

PSN: Hunter-KT

"Re(4):SSF4Arcade" , posted Mon 13 Sep 09:50post reply

That's good to hear. I hope they update the console versions too.

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

GekigangerV
1658th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(5):SSF4Arcade" , posted Mon 13 Sep 11:09post reply

quote:

Don't worry. Capcom will be more than willing to take your money.

So whatever happened to that other SF anime that was supposed to come out the same time as SSF4? It just vanished without a trace.

Megane
505th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):SSF4Arcade" , posted Mon 13 Sep 11:13post reply

quote:

So whatever happened to that other SF anime that was supposed to come out the same time as SSF4? It just vanished without a trace.

There was an upcoming anime series? I thought the animated stuff were just the movies (Juri's and the first one) that came along with the game.

PSN:BlakeMaxwell3

Ishmael
3884th Post

"Re(7):SSF4Arcade" , posted Tue 14 Sep 03:30post reply

quote:

There was an upcoming anime series? I thought the animated stuff were just the movies (Juri's and the first one) that came along with the game.

I still want to see that Juri one. Plus, there are all those miscellaneous pieces that came out with SF4. While none of them are art, I would still like to have them in some sort of collection. Hopefully those pieces don't share the same fate as the KoF:MI shorts where the only place I can find them is on YouTube.

The new outfits keep rolling out. Dig the stripes on Abel!

Megane
506th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(8):SSF4Arcade" , posted Tue 14 Sep 12:47post reply

More costumes.... Ken in his alpha training gear and long hair, Ibuki in her casual 3rd strike win pose, and Viper cosplaying as Kyoko Minazuki.

Maou
2063th Post

"Re(9):SSF4Arcade" , posted Tue 14 Sep 12:50post reply

quote:
M Viper cosplaying as Kyoko Minazuki.

Boundless joy over anything ever that relates to Justice Gakuen, even if the Shadowloo Doll tie is there too, though one can only wonder what has happened to her hand.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Megane
507th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(10):SSF4Arcade" , posted Tue 14 Sep 12:59post reply

quote:
Boundless joy over anything ever that relates to Justice Gakuen, even if the Shadowloo Doll tie is there too, though one can only wonder what has happened to her hand.

She's very considerate as to cut it off so we can see her boob.

karasu99
426th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

Gold Customer

"Re(10):SSF4Arcade" , posted Tue 14 Sep 13:01post reply

quote:

Leaving it out let them show her boob profile some, which was clearly a requirement.

justicekyo
717th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):SSF4Arcade" , posted Tue 14 Sep 14:25post reply

quote:

Listing of new characters and changes at Eventhubs that I'm too lazy to copy/paste.

Random thoughts:

Zangief's EX green hand doesn't knock down which could be good or bad depending on recovery and so on. We'll see what this will bring for the Z-man.

You're on Plus frames after the EX-green hand, so you'll have a window to do whatever you like for a moment.

Ishmael
3886th Post

"Re(2):SSF4Arcade" , posted Tue 14 Sep 21:38post reply

quote:
You're on Plus frames after the EX-green hand, so you'll have a window to do whatever you like for a moment.

This does have the potential to be great fun for Zangief but there can be a huge gulf between beta reports and what's in the final game. At this point I'm cautiously optimistic.

Rose seems to be wearing a variation on her SFA2 perfect costume. That, or she's playing a background trollop in a costume drama. It seems like it would be hard to do ninja stuff in the new shoes Ibuki is sporting. But considering Ibuki murdered Don-chan just to get an accessory there's obviously no lengths that girl won't go in the name of fashion.

karasu99
427th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):SSF4Arcade" , posted Wed 15 Sep 01:10post reply

quote:
Rose seems to be wearing a variation on her SFA2 perfect costume. That, or she's playing a background trollop in a costume drama. It seems like it would be hard to do ninja stuff in the new shoes Ibuki is sporting. But considering Ibuki murdered Don-chan just to get an accessory there's obviously no lengths that girl won't go in the name of fashion.

Also, a new Makoto outfit is up. I like it pretty well, but I was kind of hoping we wouldn't just see another schoolgirl outfit.

In general these are looking pretty good though-- I like these better than the first few rounds overall (like El Fuerte's heinous chef's hat outfit).

Spoon
2000th Post

"Re(4):SSF4Arcade" , posted Wed 15 Sep 09:58post reply

quote:

Also, a new Makoto outfit is up. I like it pretty well, but I was kind of hoping we wouldn't just see another schoolgirl outfit.

In general these are looking pretty good though-- I like these better than the first few rounds overall (like El Fuerte's heinous chef's hat outfit).

With Kyoko Viper and schoolgirl outfits for more characters, clearly Capcom is setting the stage for their next big fighting game... the return of Rival Schools!

karasu99
428th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):SSF4Arcade" , posted Wed 15 Sep 11:31post reply

quote:

With Kyoko Viper and schoolgirl outfits for more characters, clearly Capcom is setting the stage for their next big fighting game... the return of Rival Schools!

Hah, I hadn't even thought of it like that! With the great 3D engine they've been working with in SFIV, Tatsunoko v Capcom, and MvC3, they could make a great Rival Schools sequel.

Maou
2066th Post

"Re(6):SSF4Arcade" , posted Wed 15 Sep 11:47:post reply

quote:

Hah, I hadn't even thought of it like that! With the great 3D engine they've been working with in SFIV, Tatsunoko v Capcom, and MvC3, they could make a great Rival Schools sequel.

God, I would sacrifice like 10 people goats for a new Justice Gakuen. Plus, Capcom has finally figured out how to make a decent 3D fighter in the meantime!*

*yes, I know there was SF EX, shut up

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 15 Sep 11:51]

Megane
509th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"JEREMIAH GOTTWALD!?" , posted Wed 15 Sep 12:47post reply

Char?!

http://p.twipple.jp/C9Sfk

Evenor
739th Post

PSN: missantroop

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):JEREMIAH GOTTWALD!?" , posted Wed 15 Sep 15:27post reply

quote:
Char?!

http://p.twipple.jp/C9Sfk

ALL HAIL ZEON!

His outfit does remind me a lot of Hyo from Rival Schools. Love the curl though!

drink from me and live forever

Maese
601th Post

"Re(5):SSF4Arcade" , posted Wed 15 Sep 17:14post reply

quote:

God willing!

TheRedKnight
267th Post

PSN: no
XBL: no
Wii: no

Copper Customer

"Re(7):SSF4Arcade" , posted Wed 15 Sep 18:13post reply

quote:

Plus, Capcom has finally figured out how to make a decent 3D fighter in the meantime!*

*yes, I know there was SF EX, shut up

But Arika made EX and Dimps made IV.

THE LEGEND OF THE STRONGEST FIGHTING LORD OF ALL TIME!

Iggy
9172th Post

"Re(7):SSF4Arcade" , posted Wed 15 Sep 19:28post reply

quote:
Plus, Capcom has finally figured out how to make a decent 3D fighter in the meantime!*

You're talking like Justice Gakuen WASN'T a more than decent 3D fighter. It's by far the 3D fighting game I had the most fun out, much more than any Tekken, SoulCal or VF.

You should apologize to Shiozawa NOW!

shindekudasai
356th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(8):SSF4Arcade" , posted Wed 15 Sep 22:07post reply

Personally, I've always dreamed of a new CVS/SVC with the Cap side's focus on Rival Schools charas. Always thought Batsu would make much more sense as a rival for Kyo than Ryu did. But whatevs.

Oh, right, SF4. Uhm, I still haven't played the first one? Stupid Wii.

justicekyo
718th Post

"Re(1):SSF4Arcade" , posted Thu 16 Sep 08:44post reply

quote:

Random thoughts:

All-super Notes Fighter IV: general changes
http://shoryuken.com/content/complete-list-super-street-fighter-4-arcade-edition-changes-1777/

Nobinobita
810th Post

"Re(8):SSF4Arcade" , posted Thu 16 Sep 11:27:post reply

quote:
You're talking like Justice Gakuen WASN'T a more than decent 3D fighter. It's by far the 3D fighting game I had the most fun out, much more than any Tekken, SoulCal or VF.

You should apologize to Shiozawa NOW!

This man speaks the truth.

Also, am I the only person here that really enjoyed SFEX and EX2? I had a ton of fun with them. The graphics were boxy and cool, the controls were way more responsive than other 3d fighters (not over animated) and I know I sound like a broken record, but game was pretty damn innovative. It introduced super cancels, regular command throws, throw cancels and had the best tutorial mode of any fighting game to date.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by Nobinobita on Thu 16 Sep 11:31]

Maou
2068th Post

"Re(8):SSF4Arcade" , posted Thu 16 Sep 12:06:post reply

quote:
You're talking like Justice Gakuen WASN'T a more than decent 3D fighter. You should apologize to Shiozawa NOW!
TRUE! I should clarify and assume the position so that Hayato-sensei can beat me with his shinai for my lack of discipline.

What I should have done was hope for a Justice Gakuen with a graphics engine that actually looked good a few years later, and with a game engine that's actually got more interesting and challenging inputs like SF4 as opposed to the oppressively prevalent of Justice. I freely admit that it was the insanely high quality of the character and world design, as well as the general easy fun of playing, that I loved about Justice far more than any actual depth or complexity of design.

And of course, 熱血青春日記 was actually an important part of my 熱血青春.

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 16 Sep 12:07]

Loona
343th Post

PSN: IkariLoona

Bronze Customer

"Re(9):SSF4Arcade" , posted Thu 16 Sep 20:46post reply

quote:

Also, am I the only person here that really enjoyed SFEX and EX2? I had a ton of fun with them. The graphics were boxy and cool, the controls were way more responsive than other 3d fighters (not over animated) and I know I sound like a broken record, but game was pretty damn innovative. It introduced super cancels, regular command throws, throw cancels and had the best tutorial mode of any fighting game to date.

Truth indeed - Arika also deserves my respect for Kairi's design in EX2 and onwards - it's a cliche storm (scars, red eye, white hair, bare-chested, glowing hands mode, not to mention owing a lot to Ryu gameplay), but ends up working surprisingly well, none of the design elements becoming overly intrusive in the general feel of the character. That, and his supers seemed conceived to encourage super cancelling, which was fun to pull off with him.

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Ishmael
3890th Post

"Re(9):SSF4Arcade" , posted Fri 17 Sep 03:21post reply

quote:

The EX games became more frayed as they went along but there were some charming little quirks in the series.

I liked the smooth jazz soundtrack.

I liked the inexplicable backgrounds. You could find yourself fighting under a giant Christmas tree one moment and then be in a 19th century French warehouse with an unassembled Statue of Liberty the next.

I liked that Zangief was made out of Lego.

The EX series tried to do it's own thing which is commendable, even when it didn't always succeed.

justicekyo
719th Post

"Re(10):SSF4Arcade" , posted Fri 17 Sep 07:39post reply

quote:
The EX games became more frayed as they went along but there were some charming little quirks in the series.

I liked the smooth jazz soundtrack.

I liked the inexplicable backgrounds. You could find yourself fighting under a giant Christmas tree one moment and then be in a 19th century French warehouse with an unassembled Statue of Liberty the next.

I liked that Zangief was made out of Lego.

The EX series tried to do it's own thing which is commendable, even when it didn't always succeed.

people might want to fry my ass for saying this, but the EX series gameplay wise, is better than SF IV/SSF IV...

mbisonhatclub
211th Post

PSN: hadoolket

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):SSF4Arcade" , posted Fri 17 Sep 09:20post reply

quote:
people might want to fry my ass for saying this, but the EX series gameplay wise, is better than SF IV/SSF IV...

Actually, I'd totally agree, even my copy of SFEX3 for the PS2 is honestly more enjoyable than SSF4 to me

join the m.bison hat club today
i'm not just the president i'm also a client

Nobinobita
811th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):SSF4Arcade" , posted Fri 17 Sep 09:53:post reply

quote:
Actually, I'd totally agree, even my copy of SFEX3 for the PS2 is honestly more enjoyable than SSF4 to me

I found an arcade with SFEX2 a week ago. When I put some coins in the machine, I almost felt like it didn't know what to do, it had been ignored for so long.

I had some fun matches with some buds. I was pleased to find that the controls were as smooth as I remember.

I have a much easier time with the controls in EX over SFIV. The timing in SFIV really throws me off, I think because there's alot more padding in the beginning and end of animations (lots of computer tweening).

I've heard that SSFIV feels better though.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by Nobinobita on Fri 17 Sep 10:04]

Spoon
2002th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):SSF4Arcade" , posted Fri 17 Sep 11:13post reply

quote:

I found an arcade with SFEX2 a week ago. When I put some coins in the machine, I almost felt like it didn't know what to do, it had been ignored for so long.

I had some fun matches with some buds. I was pleased to find that the controls were as smooth as I remember.

I have a much easier time with the controls in EX over SFIV. The timing in SFIV really throws me off, I think because there's alot more padding in the beginning and end of animations (lots of computer tweening).

My strongest memories of the SFEX series:

SFEX1: Ryu having a hurricane kick that was like Dan's, and Gief's arms becoming HUGE when he does a lariat.

SFEX2: EXCEL mode

SFEX3: Does everybody have the same standing strong?

SFEX had a look that didn't bother me so much in SFEX1 and 2, and yet SFEX3 managed to look repulsive.

I still find it funny how similarly gief's SPD is presented in SFEX and SF4.

Would less tweening make the game more "2D" to you, Nobi? I always think of the presence of tweened animation frames to be one of the things that really separates the look and feel of 3D games/heavily vectorized 2D games/neato effects from traditional 2D. But part of me has played fighting games for so long with a focus on the playing part that as long as the animation lengths are right and there are enough keyframes, my brain just automatically accepts it as ok. Then again, I'm probably warped by having played GG so much, where moves that are 16F or longer have only 3 frames of animation.

karasu99
430th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):SSF4Arcade" , posted Fri 17 Sep 12:27post reply

quote:

For some reason your comment about the neglect of the machine made me strangely sad...

Now I'll have to dig up my copy of EX+A for the Playstation. I love all the tiny little touches it has.

I will have to throw my lot in as a lover of the EX series. I kept hoping, both when SF4 was announced, and again, with SSF4, that Darun would have somehow been licensed and included.

With 3, I suspect that it was rushed somewhat to make the PS2 launch. It didn't feel the same as the rest of the series at all.

Nobinobita
811th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):SSF4Arcade" , posted Fri 17 Sep 15:33post reply

quote:
Would less tweening make the game more "2D" to you, Nobi? I always think of the presence of tweened animation frames to be one of the things that really separates the look and feel of 3D games/heavily vectorized 2D games/neato effects from traditional 2D. But part of me has played fighting games for so long with a focus on the playing part that as long as the animation lengths are right and there are enough keyframes, my brain just automatically accepts it as ok. Then again, I'm probably warped by having played GG so much, where moves that are 16F or longer have only 3 frames of animation.

For me it's less about feeling 3d or 2d and just about responsiveness. When you animate in 3d, it's much easier to play around with the timing of things. You can essentially add in extra frames for "free" that you would have to draw in a 2d game. Because of this, a lot of 3d games are over animated and just aren't as responsive. Street Fighter 4 felt odd to me because there seemed to be a split second start up and ease out of every animation. Capcom used to reserve that sort of padding for meaty attacks with alot of damage frames, but everything in SFIV looked meaty. I had a hard time figuring out when an animation would actually stop and another input would be registered. Also, all the characters had the same sense of weight. Everything felt goopy, like they were moving through molasses.

The main advantage that most 2d games have over 3d ones is that 2d games have to be animated frame by frame. So there's much more control over the final animation. You can do this in 3d, but most people choose not to because it's quicker to just set the key frames and let the computer tween it for you. I don't mean to knock on 3d animation, it's not an easy process, it's just that 2d games by nature tend to be more precise.

As far as making a game feel 2d goes, I'd do the following:

1) Hand key every frame of animation. For best results, rough out the animation in 2d, then pose the 3d accordingly. Alot of Pixar animators work this way.

2) Animate at 12 frames per second for slow actions and 24 frames per second for fast ones. This will make it feel like film. High frame rate does not always result in a better viewing experience. Overly smooth motions look and feel artificial.

Side Note: Have you seen those new HD TVs that play Blu-Rays at higher frame rates and automatically interpolate between frames? They look really freaky. They make me feel like I'm just watching actors on a set, it pulls me out of the reality of the film.

3) Don't automatically tween between poses or modulate the frame rate according to performance. That just throws off the timing of everything. Same goes for camera moves, they make it impossible to gauge distance down to the pixel.

www.art-eater.com

Nobinobita
812th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):SSF4Arcade" , posted Fri 17 Sep 15:43post reply

quote:

For some reason your comment about the neglect of the machine made me strangely sad...

The saddest part is that we played the game until the arcade closed. In fact the guy managing the arcade turned the power off on us before we could finish our last Skullonmania vs Darun grudge match. And I wonder why arcades are dying :C

quote:
Now I'll have to dig up my copy of EX+A for the Playstation. I love all the tiny little touches it has.

That's my favorite one by far. I have a really soft spot for blocky Tekken 2 graphics.

I'm glad to see some love for SFEX. Even SFEX3 was fun. Ugly as sin, but it had 4 player co-op! Sort of!

www.art-eater.com

Megane
514th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):Re(10):SSF4Arcade" , posted Fri 17 Sep 15:56post reply

EX Plus Alpha really is a sweet little game. I never had the same fond regard for its sequels, as the arcades at my place are all EXCEL COMBOS all the time. I never did like Custom Combos, I don't know why.

The only little things bugging me were the commonality of normals... like, almost everyone had the same sweep animation. And the relative weightlessness of hits (compared to 2D; SF4 still has some measure of it that I notice), but that may be a combination of the visuals and sounds of fists and feet hitting necks.

I wonder why Capcom won't bug Arika to loan them the EX characters.

Maese
608th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):SSF4Arcade" , posted Fri 17 Sep 18:49post reply

quote:

Same here. There were quite a few interesting characters on the SFEX series. And nice artwork pieces as well. That's probably the main reason why I have such fond memories of this much maligned series.

Loona
344th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(7):Re(10):SSF4Arcade" , posted Fri 17 Sep 21:19post reply

quote:

Didn't Kairi kill Gouki in EX's own alternate continuity? That's a concern that a canon immigrant like Karin didn't involve...
I don't think they'd like to have fan favorites being mutually exclusive... but then again, so many characters back from the dead in SF4...

Ishmael
3892th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):SSF4Arcade" , posted Sat 18 Sep 00:44post reply

Oyaji!

quote:

For me it's less about feeling 3d or 2d and just about responsiveness. When you animate in 3d, it's much easier to play around with the timing of things. You can essentially add in extra frames for "free" that you would have to draw in a 2d game. Because of this, a lot of 3d games are over animated and just aren't as responsive. Street Fighter 4 felt odd to me because there seemed to be a split second start up and ease out of every animation. Capcom used to reserve that sort of padding for meaty attacks with alot of damage frames, but everything in SFIV looked meaty. I had a hard time figuring out when an animation would actually stop and another input would be registered. Also, all the characters had the same sense of weight. Everything felt goopy, like they were moving through molasses.

I do wonder if that all meaty, all the time approach for SF4 was intentional or a by-product of the design of the game. Either way, in spite of the sense of lag I do find I respond to that extra heft since it makes it feel like every attack I do has force and weight behind it. Maybe I'm just sick to death of ArcSys style games where I can fill the screen with pretty lights and limited animation but I rarely connect with a move that has any sense of impact to it.

All this talk about game animation makes me wonder, where is the balance between trying to make a game look good and handle well? Going back to EX, the Blanka in that game was a real eyesore. Every movement he made felt like it had been done to conform to hitboxes and animation frames instead of having any life to it. His crouching HP still sticks out in my mind as a move where nothing looked right. Although I don't know if he handles "correctly" in SF4 -I'll leave that to Blanka gurus to decide- he nevertheless looks like he has much more personality and consistency in his movements.

When I first played EX I wrote off Blanka as one of those problems that come up when you try to bring 2D animation techiques into 3D. But now I wonder, did the creators of EX intentionally drop Blanka's personality in favor of trying to get his timing and reach right? Is the Blanka I see in SF4 an illusion created by computers sticking in frames between his animation?

Speaking of over and under animation, an a 2D chaining attack style game where frames get dropped work in 3D? Is the reportedly slightly slower pace of MvC3 the result of 3D looking too odd when it starts speeding up and dropping animation? But considering that MvC2 is one butt-ugly game is that design choice understandable?

Hmm, I hoped that if I kept typing I would figure out what my point was but instead I lost it completely. But, hey, I like Dudley's new costume so there's that.

justicekyo
720th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):SSF4Arcade" , posted Sat 18 Sep 03:59post reply

quote:

i don't feel any difference from SF IV to super SF IV..

Toxico
5135th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):SSF4Arcade" , posted Sat 18 Sep 04:20post reply

quote:

Welcome to my club.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Update 22 as of 27/08/10 (Temporary mega upload link).

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 20 as of 09/09/10

Nobinobita
813th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):SSF4Arcade" , posted Sat 18 Sep 09:33post reply

quote:

Welcome to my club.

|:I

www.art-eater.com

Maou
2072th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):SSF4Arcade" , posted Sat 18 Sep 11:04post reply

quote:
Dudley's new costume
Pimpmobile!
This the Best Costume.

Hagen de Merak
1070th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"TGS Trailer with Yun and Yang Action" , posted Sat 18 Sep 17:54post reply

TGS trailer. Not sure if anyone's posted it, if so, I guess ignore this link.

Spoon
2005th Post

"Re(1):TGS Trailer with Yun and Yang Action" , posted Sun 19 Sep 00:12post reply

quote:

Cam footage

Yun and Yang move with a speed that makes their movements look... laborious. When Yang dashes forwards, it really looks like he's trying to push his way through that thick, thick air.

Ishmael
3893th Post

"Re(2):TGS Trailer with Yun and Yang Action" , posted Sun 19 Sep 02:14post reply

quote:

Cam footage

Yun and Yang move with a speed that makes their movements look... laborious. When Yang dashes forwards, it really looks like he's trying to push his way through that thick, thick air.

It's kind of hard to say what the character is going to be like when a El Fuerte who isn't even trying is able to bully him around the screen. I demand better players in my sloppy cam footage.

New costumes trailer. Some of them look a bit different in-game than they did in the artwork.

Toxico
5139th Post

"Re(2):TGS Trailer with Yun and Yang Action" , posted Sun 19 Sep 11:52post reply

quote:

Cam footage

clearer video of someone playing as stiff Yun

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Nobinobita
815th Post

"Re(3):TGS Trailer with Yun and Yang Action" , posted Sun 19 Sep 23:15post reply

quote:

That background reminds me of EGM's 1997 April Fools "Sheng Long" joke.

http://fightingstreet.com/folders/variousinfofolder/shenglong/shenglongscan.jpg

www.art-eater.com

Spoon
2008th Post

"Re(4):TGS Trailer with Yun and Yang Action" , posted Mon 20 Sep 09:54:post reply

quote:

That background reminds me of EGM's 1997 April Fools "Sheng Long" joke.

http://fightingstreet.com/folders/variousinfofolder/shenglong/shenglongscan.jpg

Seeing as how that bg was in vanilla SF4 and vanilla SF4 was the first to have a playable Gouken, I wouldn't put it past them. The flip side of it is that they were gonna have guys fighting at a volcano anyway, as shown in some of the promos.

... or somebody really liked pre-3S SF3's volcano stage!

[this message was edited by Spoon on Mon 20 Sep 09:56]

Iggy
9178th Post

"Re(5):TGS Trailer with Yun and Yang Action" , posted Mon 20 Sep 19:49post reply

quote:

There was also the intro movie of CvS2...
I don't remember any volcano in SNK games, strangely. Did I miss any ?

Megane
516th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):TGS Trailer with Yun and Yang Action" , posted Mon 20 Sep 20:27post reply

quote:

There was a very rocky stage in SamSho... 3? Did it have a volcano in the background?

For non-fighting games... Metal Slug maybe?

Megane
517th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Ono tweets!" , posted Tue 21 Sep 11:41post reply

"We currently have no plans to bring Yun and Yan to consoles as DLC."

Marketing? Marketing.

Toxico
5141th Post

"Re(6):TGS Trailer with Yun and Yang Action" , posted Tue 21 Sep 13:13post reply

quote:

World Heroes Perfect... They are probably more but I don't remember right now.

quote:

Marketing? Marketing.

This has been 100% clear from even before who we knew was arcade exclusive.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Loona
347th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(7):TGS Trailer with Yun and Yang Action" , posted Tue 21 Sep 18:16post reply

quote:

There was a very rocky stage in SamSho... 3? Did it have a volcano in the background?

IIRC Musashi's stage in LB1 had some lava in it, although I think it felt more "indoorsy" than those mentioned so far.

Ishmael
3897th Post

"Re(1):Ono tweets!" , posted Tue 21 Sep 22:12post reply

quote:

Marketing? Marketing.

Yeah, I also read that as "we aren't going to bring them to consoles now because they are scheduled for release later." I understand the business reasons behind not blabbing their full schedule but I also wonder if they aren't partly doing it for fun at this point. Since it is so easy to work people up into a lather when it comes to SF or any other fighting game who could resist teasing the fans occasionally?

Main page has been updated with Yun and Yang, some new costumes and various other TGS sundries.

Spoon
2009th Post

"Re(2):Ono tweets!" , posted Wed 22 Sep 00:32post reply

quote:

Marketing? Marketing.
Yeah, I also read that as "we aren't going to bring them to consoles now because they are scheduled for release later." I understand the business reasons behind not blabbing their full schedule but I also wonder if they aren't partly doing it for fun at this point. Since it is so easy to work people up into a lather when it comes to SF or any other fighting game who could resist teasing the fans occasionally?

Main page has been updated with Yun and Yang, some new costumes and various other TGS sundries.

I just noticed now that Ibuki's 3 sizes are shockingly close to Chun's... except her bust is way larger.
Chun: B88/W58/H90
Ibuki: B95/W57/H90

Meanwhile:
Viper: B98/W60/H90
I never knew that Viper's bust was that much larger than Chun's!

Spoon
2010th Post

"Re(3):Ono tweets!" , posted Wed 22 Sep 02:02post reply

Yun and Yang ultras in clear video

Maybe I'm crazy but I love that in Yang's U1, there's a camera cut that happens for a moment that just shows Yang's feet has he stops his movement.

Meanwhile, Yun makes another contribution to the line of SF4 abortion punches

Pollyanna
2963th Post

PSN: Lilly_Dopamine

"Re(2):Ono tweets!" , posted Wed 22 Sep 06:38post reply

quote:

This isn't directed at anyone in particular, but if you like EX more than 4, I would say Street Fighter probably isn't your game.

quote:

I'm not worried that we won't see the characters on a home port EVENTUALLY, but this is still bad news. If they wait too long, they may be inspired to release a new game instead of DLC. Of course, they said SSF4 was the last in the series, but talk is cheap in the game industry.

I was quite excited about getting into SSF4 again, but knowing that I only get new costumes when there are new CHARACTERS to be had has kind of deflated my enthusiasm. If I was returning to a rebalanced game with an updated cast, I might be inspired to blow money on a few silly costumes. As is...I think I'll just keep playing BlazBlue.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Spoon
2012th Post

"Re(3):Ono tweets!" , posted Wed 22 Sep 09:41post reply

quote:
I was quite excited about getting into SSF4 again, but knowing that I only get new costumes when there are new CHARACTERS to be had has kind of deflated my enthusiasm. If I was returning to a rebalanced game with an updated cast, I might be inspired to blow money on a few silly costumes. As is...I think I'll just keep playing BlazBlue.

BB's offering is quite compelling, what with 3 new characters. I'm not sure how much I like playing BB, though.

SSF4 is still an interesting enough game to me that I think I can keep playing it for awhile. Then again, I don't get to play it that often, so that may temper my thoughts on it. On the bright side, didn't you once mention that you live in an area where there's a decent arcade? You might just get to play SSF4AE anyway.

Which reminds me!

The (somewhat ghetto) University Pinball arcade located within the zone of the University of Pennsylvania will be getting SSF4AE whenever it drops. If any of you are in Philadelphia, you can go play it there.

Gojira
2652th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
Wii: 80085

"Re(1):Ono tweets!" , posted Wed 22 Sep 10:03post reply

quote:

Marketing? Marketing.

Well of course it's business. They're only adding new characters to the arcade in the first place to give arcades a reason to carry it. It's probably a smart thing not to talk about trivializing that aspect before the thing is even released.

shipoopi

Toxico
5143th Post

"Re(2):Ono tweets!" , posted Wed 22 Sep 13:14post reply

.... Hmmm...... Does this mean that the xbald version is going to get canned as well?

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

sfried
567th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):Ono tweets!" , posted Wed 22 Sep 14:09post reply

quote:
.... Hmmm...... Does this mean that the xbald version is going to get canned as well?

Well I guess that just means 3DS version for me.

Maou
2075th Post

"Re(3):Ono tweets!" , posted Wed 22 Sep 15:04post reply

quote:
I just noticed now that Ibuki's 3 sizes are shockingly close to Chun's... except her bust is way larger.

Meanwhile:

All the more amazing given how amazingly...flat everyone looks in IV. Viper in particular! Maybe it's just not a flattering tie. (Why does she have that tie? Or that outfit? ....or that design?)

Tai-Pan
482th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Ono tweets!" , posted Thu 23 Sep 02:00post reply

quote:

All the more amazing given how amazingly...flat everyone looks in IV. Viper in particular! Maybe it's just not a flattering tie. (Why does she have that tie? Or that outfit? ....or that design?)

Well they are flat cause everyone in the game is on steroids, which increases testosterone levels.

Also, Her design is (according to Ono) to appeal to the American audience (!?)

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Pollyanna
2964th Post

"Re(4):Ono tweets!" , posted Thu 23 Sep 02:42post reply

quote:

BB's offering is quite compelling, what with 3 new characters. I'm not sure how much I like playing BB, though.

SSF4 is still an interesting enough game to me that I think I can keep playing it for awhile. Then again, I don't get to play it that often, so that may temper my thoughts on it. On the bright side, didn't you once mention that you live in an area where there's a decent arcade? You might just get to play SSF4AE anyway.

Yeah, I'm just being bratty. SSF4 isn't lacking in anything as-is, it's just that it'll bug me knowing that there's a better version out there to be played. I hope the console port gets the balance patch, at least (and they don't save it for a disc-based update). I'd like to be able to use Makoto with a little less fear.

On the other hand, the upcoming BlazBlue patch is extremely enticing, although it still won't fix the problem of Tager benefiting so tremendously from lag.

I'm sure the local arcade will get SSF4, but I'm also sure it will be overrun with people who can wipe the floor with my pretty little face. Losing is fine, but not when it's costly.

quote:
Maybe I'm crazy but I love that in Yang's U1, there's a camera cut that happens for a moment that just shows Yang's feet has he stops his movement.

I thought that was really awesome, too. The move looks fantastic. They do look a tad bit stiff, but it's not enough to diminish my happiness that they were included. Now, the game is precious few characters (Alex, Necro, Karin) from including every SF character I've ever used.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Maou
2076th Post

"Re(5):Ono tweets!" , posted Thu 23 Sep 12:51post reply

quote:
I thought that was really awesome, too. The move looks fantastic. They do look a tad bit stiff, but it's not enough to diminish my happiness that they were included. Now, the game is precious few characters (Alex, Necro, Karin) from including every SF character I've ever used.
But, but, where is almighty Q???? Every SF game should have Q. Every SF game should probably be about Q, come to think about it. As he has no story anyway, he should also become the next boss instead of stupid things like Seth.

Professor
2807th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):Ono tweets!" , posted Thu 23 Sep 19:56:post reply

quote:

Some of the things that Ono talks in the 4Gamer interview is just plain freaky.

Ono: "I think the balance of SSF4 on the home console wasn't too bad, but if there was one thing that I regret, the game was a bit too well-rounded. There were some moves that were relatively strong, but in the end, there weren't any strikingly heel characters because of that."(heel = evil. Wrestling terminology)

4Gamer: "Like Sagat in vanilla SF4?"

Ono: Right. So we're touching the game, and adding more of that kind of inbalance. We want to purposely add in things that are like, 'Huh? This's been weakened, what am I supposed to do?', and, 'If I use this character, people might think that I'm just picking it for its tier'.

4gamer: Some Ultra Combos, like those of Abel, Furte, and Roses', are being called fuc**n' UCs (abusively strong UCs), but what do you think about them?

Ono: Hummm, I was thinking that that might be true, but that was until a month ago. I saw a Rose user beating Daigo at a tournament in Europe.

4gamer: Oh yes! We've seen it too.

Ono: So then, we figured that things are just fine the way they are. (laughs)

4gamer: Ah. So you're going to leave that kind of inbalance as it is.

Ono: Yes. Especially with some characters like Abel, they might become too strong if we retouch them. So we aren't thinking of fixing their fundamentals.

[this message was edited by Professor on Thu 23 Sep 20:05]

justicekyo
721th Post

"Re(3):Ono tweets!" , posted Fri 24 Sep 01:22post reply

quote:

Marketing? Marketing.

Meanwhile:

LOL, man. you do know Viper's chest has implants.. right? :P

Loona
348th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(4):Ono tweets!" , posted Fri 24 Sep 18:33post reply

quote:
4gamer: Some Ultra Combos, like those of Abel, Furte, and Roses', are being called fuc**n' UCs (abusively strong UCs), but what do you think about them?

Ono: Hummm, I was thinking that that might be true, but that was until a month ago. I saw a Rose user beating Daigo at a tournament in Europe.

4gamer: Oh yes! We've seen it too.

Ono: So then, we figured that things are just fine the way they are. (laughs)

So now "usable to beat Daigo" became a twisted benchmark for balance now?...
It's not like someone's been able to pull that off with Makoto afaik...

Professor
2815th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Costume display patches planned for 360 only?" , posted Mon 4 Oct 02:43:post reply

Talking about Ono, for SSF4 on the Xbox 360, Capcom is preparing two optional update patches that will allow all users to see the new alternate costumes reflected in their game when their opponent is wearing them. Patch 1 is slated for Oct 26, patch 2 on Dec 21 (JP dates).

The patches however have not been announced for the PS3, meaning one of two seperate possibilities which Capcom hasn't addressed at the current time.

1- PS3 players may need to purchase the costumes to see them reflected in the game.
2- A mandatory patch might be released.

1 seems to be the more probable scenario, at least from reading the 4Gamer article (linked above) which states that the patches are "exclusive content for the Xbox 360".

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 4 Oct 02:45]

Olivier Hague
153th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Costume display patches planned for 360" , posted Mon 4 Oct 12:35post reply

Just what is it with Capcom and Sony, anyway?
(or is it just Capcom and the PlayStation 3?)

mbisonhatclub
216th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):Costume display patches planned for 360" , posted Tue 5 Oct 04:16post reply

quote:
Talking about Ono, for SSF4 on the Xbox 360, Capcom is preparing two optional update patches that will allow all users to see the new alternate costumes reflected in their game when their opponent is wearing them. Patch 1 is slated for Oct 26, patch 2 on Dec 21 (JP dates).

The patches however have not been announced for the PS3, meaning one of two seperate possibilities which Capcom hasn't addressed at the current time.

1- PS3 players may need to purchase the costumes to see them reflected in the game.
2- A mandatory patch might be released.
I can't wait until we're reduced to TF2 style marketting and everything just becomes "new hats!"

Toxico
5209th Post

PSN: Toxic-Baron

"Yung and Yan (har har)" , posted Tue 21 Dec 03:02:post reply

I thought that since it's me, I should ruin everyone's day with footage of SSFIV.

Arcade footage 1

Arcade footage 2

Heavily focused on the new characters Yung(?) and Yan(?). Also please don't heed the comments of the ignorant americans.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Update 23 as of 25/10/10 (Temporary mega upload link).

Last update : Chapter 21 as of 15/10/10

[this message was edited by Toxico on Tue 21 Dec 03:06]

Just a Person
1445th Post

"Re(1):Yung and Yan (har har)" , posted Tue 21 Dec 03:26post reply

quote:
I thought that since it's me, I should ruin everyone's day with footage of SSFIV.

Arcade footage 1

Arcade footage 2

Heavily focused on the new characters Yung(?) and Yan(?). Also please don't heed the comments of the ignorant americans.

No videos or descriptions of their prologues and endings yet?

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

Ishmael
3952th Post

"Re(1):Yung and Yan (har har)" , posted Tue 21 Dec 05:31post reply

quote:

Arcade footage 1

Arcade footage 2

Interesting, the voices are in English. I know the arcade version of vanilla SF4 had English text option but did it have a voice option as well? All the versions I played had Japanese voices but I don't know if that's because there was no other choice or because the arcade operators had the good taste not to switch it over.

Toxico
5214th Post

"Re(2):Yung and Yan (har har)" , posted Thu 23 Dec 15:53:post reply

quote:

Why would those things be in the arcade version?

Acho is being nasty, they uploaded for about 90minutes of direct feed footage.

Vid 1

Vid 2

Yoga. Those puyo puyo vids were amazing

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Last update : Chapter 21 as of 15/10/10

[this message was edited by Toxico on Thu 23 Dec 16:39]

Just a Person
1446th Post

"Re(3):Yung and Yan (har har)" , posted Thu 23 Dec 21:58post reply

quote:

Why would those things be in the arcade version?

Why wouldn't they? The arcade version of vanilla Street Fighter IV had endings (not sure about prologues, but I think they were there too).

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

Gojira
2680th Post

"Re(4):Yung and Yan (har har)" , posted Thu 23 Dec 23:12post reply

quote:

Why wouldn't they? The arcade version of vanilla Street Fighter IV had endings (not sure about prologues, but I think they were there too).

Arcade SF4 had no prologues.

Nobody is all that interested in single-player yet, and even if they were they'd probably want to see that "Evil" Ryu or "Oni" Gouki first.

Ishmael
3957th Post

"Re(3):Yung and Yan (har har)" , posted Fri 24 Dec 09:51post reply

quote:
Vid 1

Vid 2

That footage of Makoto destroying everyone with her giant man hands made me happy. I wonder if that is the result of the buffs she received in AE or that you hardly ever see a good Makoto so nobody knew what to do against her?

Pollyanna
2976th Post

"Re(4):Yung and Yan (har har)" , posted Fri 24 Dec 11:36post reply

quote:

That footage of Makoto destroying everyone with her giant man hands made me happy. I wonder if that is the result of the buffs she received in AE or that you hardly ever see a good Makoto so nobody knew what to do against her?

Either way, I'm excited to give her another shot. I've used Makoto 3 times as much as any other character and I lose 3 times as often with her. At the level I was at, I could win against some characters, but others (Guile, T Hawk) were like an instant loss before the fight even started.

Gosh, I wish they would make her instant air axe kick a little easier to do, though. That is a huge stumbling block for me. I can't do it AT ALL, not even by accident. I don't think I've ever had something I'm so incapable of doing.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Ishmael
3975th Post

"Re(2):Yung and Yan (har har)" , posted Fri 7 Jan 22:28post reply

quote:

It turns out they do have endings.

Just a Person
1452th Post

"Re(3):Yung and Yan (har har)" , posted Fri 7 Jan 23:01:post reply

quote:
It turns out they do have endings.

Wow, cool! Thank you!

Since they are Arcade endings, I assumed they would be just still images, but they are also animated... and apparently with the same quality than the ending animes for the home versions of SSFIV.

I wonder what they are saying in the endings... damn, I really need to learn how to speak Japanese.
---

EDIT: Nevermind, someone at EventHubs already translated them.

It seems Yun and Yang ran away from home to participate at the Street Fighter tournament, so in the end they just get punished for that and are greeted by Chun-Li for some help they may have given to her.

I guess we'd have to see their Rival Battle Scenes dialogues to figure out how they interacted with her during the tournament to learn what help they gave her...

[this message was edited by Just a Person on Sat 8 Jan 00:11]

Nekros
327th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(4):Yung and Yan (har har)" , posted Sat 8 Jan 03:51:post reply

More about Lee Brothers:

Yun Theme during game freeze

Yang Theme can be heard during the match

Basically is Crowded Street for both of them, Yun version is more rock-styled, Yang version is smooth and jazzy. Just as anyone was expecting knowing the characters.

[this message was edited by Nekros on Sat 8 Jan 03:52]

Just a Person
1453th Post

"Re(5):Yung and Yan (har har)" , posted Mon 10 Jan 08:00:post reply

And here are their endings again... but now, in English. I like the voice of Yun's girlfriend (or is she Yang's? I know each of them has a girlfriend, but I don't remember who dates who).

Still waiting for Yun's and Yang's Rival Battle cutscene videos...

[this message was edited by Just a Person on Thu 13 Jan 22:32]

Megane
534th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):Yung and Yan (har har)" , posted Mon 10 Jan 10:00post reply

quote:
And here are their endings again... but now, in English. I like the voice of Yun's girlfriend (or is she Yang's? I know each of them has a girlfriend, but I don't remember who dates who).

Still waiting for Yun's and Yang's Rival Battle CG videos...

If I remember this correctly, Yun and the girl in Yun's ending are tsundere for each other, Yang has unrequited feelings for that girl, and that girl's sister has unrequited feelings for Yang/

Spoon
2093th Post

"Re(7):Yung and Yan (har har)" , posted Sun 23 Jan 10:08post reply

So Evil Ryu and Oni Akuma have recently been unlocked at some arcades.

Meido Gohadou sounds like he'd be throwing a flaming French maid at you, though.

Ishmael
3992th Post

"Re(8):Yung and Yan (har har)" , posted Sun 23 Jan 11:41post reply

quote:

Meido Gohadou sounds like he'd be throwing a flaming French maid at you, though.

That's quite the air dash Oni has there. Also, it looks like Evil Ryu has the hole in his chest from the Ryu:Final manga. That's a nice touch.

Hopefully we will get some official videos soon. While these shaky home-made videos are fun it's sometimes hard to tell what I'm actually looking at.

badoor
162th Post

PSN: BadoorSNK
XBL: BadoorSNK

Regular Customer

"Re(8):Yung and Yan (har har)" , posted Sun 23 Jan 12:52post reply

quote:

Well as expected with these things, here's some shaky noisy almost incomprehensible footage of "Oni" and Evil Ryu:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRkMpPjQhfA

I wonder if "Oni" is actually not the same as Shin Akuma story-wise and from the video, even gameplay wise. With Shin Akuma, Cyber Akuma, and now "Oni", Akuma might possibly have the largest amount of character versions ever.

Than again, "Oni" means devil/demon and "Akuma" also means devil/demon.

Evenor
745th Post

PSN: missantroop

"Re(9):Yung and Yan (har har)" , posted Sun 23 Jan 13:04post reply

They each have really neat U2's!

Oni

Evil

drink from me and live forever

Digitalboy
722th Post

PSN: n/a
XBL: JestingGenie99(automatednamecreatedbyXBL)

"Re(10):Yung and Yan (har har)" , posted Sun 23 Jan 15:40post reply

Is it me or does Oni have the same neutral stance as the Shin Gouki/Akuma in SvC: Chaos art?

Also looking at Oni's Ultra number two, reminds me of Capcom Fighting Evolution/Jam ending for Shin Gouki/Akuma. Udon illustrated his ending to where Shin Gouki/Akuma leaps to the sky to attack a huge meteor head on...

Those videos were too unclear to make it out for my FIVE eyes.

quote:
They each have really neat U2's!

Oni

Evil

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

Maou
2142th Post

"Re(9):Yung and Yan (har har)" , posted Sun 23 Jan 17:10:post reply

quote:
With Shin Akuma, Cyber Akuma, and now "Oni", Akuma might possibly have the largest amount of character versions ever.
And yet he's still boring! Tohoho. Though I remember the thrill of the time many years ago when I first could throw zankuu hadouken's reliably.

I read Cyber Akuma and before finding out that this meant Mecha Gouki I had a huge swelling excitement in my chest over the idea that a giant Gouki from Cyberbots would somehow be in the game. And I don't even care about Cyberbots!

[this message was edited by Maou on Sun 23 Jan 17:16]

karasu99
520th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(10):Yung and Yan (har har)" , posted Sun 23 Jan 22:12post reply

quote:
And I don't even care about Cyberbots!

Aww...
quote:
And yet he's still boring! Tohoho.

Sadly I have to agree. Although... somehow giving him a slightly different look (instead of just a different color) makes him a little more interesting. Just a little.

Nekros
330th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Yung and Yan (har har)" , posted Sun 23 Jan 23:31post reply

quote:

Oni

Evil

Ok, these two are a brilliant work of chara-design, especially Oni, that goes crazy with that buddhist feel of Gou brothers (very cool they mantain the appeal of Gouki given to a Gouken look).
But face the fact they're also DAMN SHOTOS! How many shotos they will plan to add in SF? In this game, there are 8 of them, 9 if you count the CPU Shin Gouki... a bit too much for me, I love uniqueness in fighters, not power.

Ishmael
3993th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Yung and Yan (har har)" , posted Mon 24 Jan 01:48post reply

quote:
Is it me or does Oni have the same neutral stance as the Shin Gouki/Akuma in SvC: Chaos art?

Is it Gouken's stance? It certainly looks like he intherited Gouken's barrel body at least.

Evil Ryu is looking like EX Ryu which means he looks about as fun -or as dull- any other EX character. The early reports on Oni, however, make it sound as if Gouki and Gouken did the fusion dance and came up with this guy. I didn't think much of Oni when he was first announced but from what I've seen of him so far he looks like he has an interesting pastiche of moves.

mbisonhatclub
255th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Yung and Yan (har har)" , posted Mon 24 Jan 04:30post reply

quote:
Ok, these two are a brilliant work of chara-design, especially Oni, that goes crazy with that buddhist feel of Gou brothers (very cool they mantain the appeal of Gouki given to a Gouken look).
But face the fact they're also DAMN SHOTOS! How many shotos they will plan to add in SF? In this game, there are 8 of them, 9 if you count the CPU Shin Gouki... a bit too much for me, I love uniqueness in fighters, not power.

Just wait until they add Sean, Violent Ken, Tan Sakura, Dangerous Dan, Cyber Akuma, R. Akuma (Akuma wearing R.Mika's outfit), Orochi Akuma, Evil Sean, and Mel Masters, who looks exactly like Ken but is shorter

Just a Person
1453th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Yung,Yan and the Evils" , posted Mon 24 Jan 08:38post reply

quote:

Well, I don't think 8 or 9 shotos are too much of a problem in terms of variety when we have 30 other characters with their unique fighting styles (well, not so much in the cases of Yun and Yang, or Seth and the SFII cast, but you know what I mean). Besides, from what I've read on the internet, it seems the shotos lost most of their popularity to characters like Yun, Fei-Long or Zangief.

The weird thing is that we've already seen the endings for the 4 new characters, but not any of their Rival Battle cutscenes (well, unless the Arcade Edition doesn't have them - but it would be weird to be unable to have cutscenes with the game's graphics themselves while there are animated endings...).

BTW, how did Evil Ryu and Oni (Akuma... or Gouken?) appear in the Arcades? Were they presented as hidden final bosses or they just popped out in the selection screen out of nowhere? The first option would be more challenging, but also cooler, I think.

Nekros
331th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Yung,Yan and the Evils" , posted Mon 24 Jan 14:27post reply

quote:

BTW, how did Evil Ryu and Oni (Akuma... or Gouken?) appear in the Arcades? Were they presented as hidden final bosses or they just popped out in the selection screen out of nowhere? The first option would be more challenging, but also cooler, I think.

They were unlocked by a time code, like Gouki and Gouken in Vanilla Arcade ver.
I heard rumors that 2 or 4 more chars are hidden in the game that way, but this only assuming as true the achievements leaks in november.

To me, as Capcom is used to, they will release a home port of the arcade, adding new faces and some new features. DLC is a option, but only if the content is the 4 new chars + rebalance patch.

Nobinobita
854th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(3):Re(10):Yung and Yan (har har)" , posted Mon 24 Jan 15:45post reply

quote:
Is it Gouken's stance? It certainly looks like he intherited Gouken's barrel body at least.

It is the same. It's a classic Nio Guardian stance, very common in Buddhist art.

http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/nio.shtml

They're mixing their references by calling him Oni though, but then Gouki was called Akuma in the US :P

www.art-eater.com

Nobinobita
855th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Yung and Yan (har har)" , posted Mon 24 Jan 16:14post reply

quote:

It is the same. It's a classic Nio Guardian stance, very common in Buddhist art.

They're mixing their references by calling him Oni though, but then Gouki was called Akuma in the US :P

ahhhh, I take it back. Nio guardians are reformed demons, so it's not inappropriate at all, and can even be seen as a regression. That would make sense if the character is basically evil Gouken, so he's once again possessed by the dark hadou (and thus slips from a protector of virtue back to an ogre)

Well played Capcom!

www.art-eater.com

Iggy
9212th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Yung,Yan and the Evils" , posted Mon 24 Jan 20:47post reply

quote:
To me, as Capcom is used to, they will release a home port of the arcade, adding new faces and some new features. DLC is a option, but only if the content is the 4 new chars + rebalance patch.

There's a picture of someone having Hugo as an icon in AE, and everyone is speculating widely.

I really don't buy the shoto complains. Even if you say Ryu, Ken, Gouki and Sagat play more or less the same (which is already a big stretch), people who count Sakura, Rose or Gouken as copy and paste characters have just never touched a Street Fighter game. And this Oni doesn't seem to have much in common with Gouki or Ryu, with his airdash and crossups.

Some people complain that there are too many shoto, then that there are too many grabblers (counting Zangief, Honda, Hawk, Hakan and Abel as if they were one redundant character) and then that there are too many dive kick characters (notwithstanding the fact Yun's is nothing like Cammy's or Rufus). I haven't seen people complaining about the charge characters, but they just need to add one more before some moron start complaining that Guile and Blanka play the same.

All in all, Internet complaining is a great game, and cheaper than the AE DLC.

Nekros
332th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):Yung,Yan and the Evils" , posted Tue 25 Jan 01:02post reply

quote:

Some people complain that there are too many shoto, then that there are too many grabblers (counting Zangief, Honda, Hawk, Hakan and Abel as if they were one redundant character) and then that there are too many dive kick characters (notwithstanding the fact Yun's is nothing like Cammy's or Rufus). I haven't seen people complaining about the charge characters, but they just need to add one more before some moron start complaining that Guile and Blanka play the same.

Execution of moves don't have much in common with actual gameplay or style.
Sure Blanka and Guile are charge type, Zangief and Fuerte are grapplers, but they're very different one from another. Also, they have completely different combat style/martial art performed.
Shotos aren't so much different as others, sure they have their own moves, spacing game and normals, but the same fighting style is a given.

Side note: what about the music themes of the evils?

Ishmael
3994th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Yung,Yan and the Evils" , posted Tue 25 Jan 01:40post reply

If character types are being so loosely defined that Sagat and Sakura are viewed as being similar what should be made of a game like KoF98 where entire teams can be built with fighters who throw fireballs and uppercuts?

quote:
All in all, Internet complaining is a great game, and cheaper than the AE DLC.

What's amusing me right now is watching Capcom freak out over Evil Ryu and Oni getting released ahead of schedule. I had wondered why there wasn't any official news about these guys. Now I know.

karasu99
522th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):Re(10):Yung and Yan (har har)" , posted Tue 25 Jan 02:39:post reply

quote:

Thanks for the incredible link! Now I know what I'll be using to procrastinate reading about this morning! For all the years that I've been exposed to this sort of imagery in Japanese game (and even American ones, these days) it's surprising how little I know about it.

EDIT: Oh, and by the way, has anyone else picked up the SFIV/SSFIV Official Complete Works book? It's quite good, and not at all expensive. It's got a lot of alternate designs for the new folks and alt costume sketches for everyone (including a Satsui no Hadou Ryu and Violent Ken!) Juri gets a ton of alts, many of which are better than her default look!

[this message was edited by karasu99 on Tue 25 Jan 02:49]

mbisonhatclub
256th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(7):Re(10):Yung,Yan and the Evils" , posted Tue 25 Jan 04:22post reply

quote:
If character types are being so loosely defined that Sagat and Sakura are viewed as being similar what should be made of a game like KoF98 where entire teams can be built with fighters who throw fireballs and uppercuts?
People say the same thing about KOF but

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
only mexicans pay attention to KOF and most of us can't understand what they're saying in b4 someone takes this seriously and tries to refute this statement

End of Spoiler

And Yuri/Ryo/Robert/Andy would be grouped with each other in the same category and more loosely would it include Kyo, Iori, etc

Even Joe and Hwa Jai are similar to each other (well duh) even if there are certain more obvious differences such as Joe can throw hurricanes while Hwa can't--what we're saying is, we notice what similarities there ARE, and nobody is ever saying 100% congruency unless they're that moronic

The thing is just because you can tell what the subtle or functional difference between two similar characters are, you cannot write off that there are some foundational or fundamental similarities that people will notice easily just by looking at them for a few seconds and only tourneyfaggots will jump in defensively and go "NO, THEY ARE LIKE, TOTALLY FUCKING DIFFERENT, YOU CANNOT PLAY RYU AND AKUMA THE EXACT SAME WAY AND GET THE SAME RESULTS" well no fucking shit, sherlock

This is why there is a word called a "derivative" and it's not just for math where you calculate dy/dx or whatnot or we'll have to explain the chain rule all over again

Or in Dan Hibiki's case, a "parody"

What's sad is while people praise Akuma or Evil Ryu's appearance in a game, they're easily turned off by characters like Karin because she's a "(shitty) Fei Long clone" and this is just one of many examples of the Capcom fanboy attitude that's just delirious, and even people will attack Haggar for being a "Zangief clone" despite, first off, Haggar came first, second, Capcom at least took care to make him somewhat different enough to stand out on his own, and third, he's the motherfucking mayor of EARTH.

It's not to say it's just coincidence that even Capcom of the past would notice similarities in even characters from other franchises, to include the aforementioned AOF members where they responded by making their parody character, or even when Capcom sued Data East for Fighter's History--which you can see some derivative examples, but you can also say it's not completely the same. HOWEVER, you can tell what Capcom was indeed seeing

This spiel was brought to you by 4chan bitching threads and the countless double-talking hypocritical blindspotted fallible arguments brought forth in those threads

shin ramberk
386th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(8):Re(10):Yung,Yan and the Evils" , posted Tue 25 Jan 04:44post reply

Wow, this is a hot button issue! I can understand folks being upset because they wanted their favorite character inserted instead but we all know that Capcom or SNK or whomever rarely caters to our personal desires. I'll never see Remy outside of 3S ports and re-releases...

Having said that, from the reports I've read both Evil Ryu and Oni appear to be well fleshed out characters. Would it be such a big deal if these characters were named something else and looked differently? What if Juni had been originally presented as "Evil Chun Li" instead of Juni? Is it not part of the gameplay in fighting games picking a specific type of character? I mean, if there are a ton of different "grapple characters" why not a variety of "shoto characters."?

Take a step back and breath a little folks! I'd love to get the entire 3S cast into this game but hey, we all know Capcom very intimately and we know they don't cater to the fringe but to the mainstream.

I've read some positive analysis of these characters- put down the pitchforks and torches for a few more seconds. Let's see how this develops...

http://ramberk.blogspot.com

karasu99
522th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(9):Re(10):Yung,Yan and the Evils" , posted Tue 25 Jan 05:57post reply

quote:

I've read some positive analysis of these characters- put down the pitchforks and torches for a few more seconds. Let's see how this develops...

Seconded. This seems like a very 1999 sort of argument. For years I felt like all the Street Fighter shotos were super derivative, and I still don't really care for Ryu and Ken's designs, although they have a very good reason for being so similar (being palette swaps only in the very first SF, and sort of spiritual successors to Red Guy and White Guy from Karate Champ) and have in fact become very differentiated in the years after SFII.

All of the shotos are pretty different from one another in terms of standard attacks, especially now that they're not even headswaps. I think they have a bad reputation based on 15 year old information. I hate playing against 1,000 Kens in a row in SSFIV as much as the next person, but I can't blame that on him being so similar to Ryu.

Pollyanna
2989th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Yung,Yan and the Evils" , posted Tue 25 Jan 07:35post reply

This is an issue of scale or what could be. We have a character slot taken by Evil Ryu. That could've been someone else. Can you really say that's as good as having a non-derivative character? Even if most of the shoto characters don't play the same, having a large collection of characters with the same named moves is less interesting than having someone wildly different.

I understand that "too many shotos!" is an overreaction, but there still is a point of contention. Ryu and Ken may be reasonably different, but if there were only 2 characters, wouldn't it be better to have Ryu and Zangief? Of course, the scale is completely different, but the complaint still stands on a small level.

On the other hand, one could say "it would still be better to have Ken because he's more popular than Zangief", which leaves us at the real problem...it isn't that there are too many shotos, but that there are too many shotos when there could be whatever our favorite not-included character is. When people were saying "6 new characters" I don't think "more Ryu and Gouki" was on the top of anyone's list.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

badoor
164th Post

PSN: BadoorSNK
XBL: BadoorSNK

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Yung,Yan and the Evils" , posted Tue 25 Jan 08:12post reply

quote:
This is an issue of scale or what could be. We have a character slot taken by Evil Ryu. That could've been someone else. Can you really say that's as good as having a non-derivative character? Even if most of the shoto characters don't play the same, having a large collection of characters with the same named moves is less interesting than having someone wildly different.

I understand that "too many shotos!" is an overreaction, but there still is a point of contention. Ryu and Ken may be reasonably different, but if there were only 2 characters, wouldn't it be better to have Ryu and Zangief? Of course, the scale is completely different, but the complaint still stands on a small level.

On the other hand, one could say "it would still be better to have Ken because he's more popular than Zangief", which leaves us at the real problem...it isn't that there are too many shotos, but that there are too many shotos when there could be whatever our favorite not-included character is. When people were saying "6 new characters" I don't think "more Ryu and Gouki" was on the top of anyone's list.

Now I agree with you but playing as devil's advocate, as you know the appeal of shotos to Capcom is that they can be much easier to churn out than other different characters, back in the 2D days and I think even now. The models and animations are very similar in each of the shotos with only slight variation. Heck, Evil Ryu just looks like one of Ryu's alt. costumes. You could have 6 more shotos, or maybe 2 more real diverse characters.

My argument for the players might not be strong (that is IF you consider my lame Capcom argument as strong), the shotos' surface level of similarities in their moves and normals mean that players are more comfortable trying them out. A scrubby Ken player would probably feel more comfortable and familiar when trying out Evil Ryu for the first time then say Q. And with these people they don't want to experiment or enjoy the game, they just want to win and get achievements and trash talk and whatnot.

Pollyanna
2990th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Yung,Yan and the Evils" , posted Tue 25 Jan 09:23post reply

I know- Devil's advocate, but the "easier for Capcom" argument could spiral into a "we're lucky to have anything" sort of situation, which is silly.

quote:
A scrubby Ken player would probably feel more comfortable and familiar when trying out Evil Ryu for the first time then say Q. And with these people they don't want to experiment or enjoy the game, they just want to win and get achievements and trash talk and whatnot.

This might actually be a really good point. It reminds me of hardcore anime fans (who spend hundreds of dollars a month on the hobby) complaining about how American companies don't cater to their very specific interests. I think "you guys are seriously overestimating your worth". So it might be a case of "the weakest dog barks loudest" where, say, Q fans, are big fans, and thus very vocal, but don't actually matter much to Capcom.

I'm really beginning to wonder about how they're going to tackle this for home release, though. At first I thought (despite their initial claims otherwise) that we might have a DLC or hard copy situation like with RE5 Gold, where they add a few more characters and would package all the costumes with it as well. But, as mentioned before, splitting the online vs makes it a real mess.

SIDE NOTE:
KOF was mentioned as a big offender in derivative characters, and I have to admit KOF 12 broke my heart in that category. They put so much love into these sprites and had such a fantastic, rich cast to draw from and they have a wide sea of "fireball, dragon punch, move that moves you across the screen" characters. This was especially annoying, since they have to make an individual sprite any way around, projectiles weren't very useful in that game, and half of the characters who played like that have a version where they don't.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Maou
2143th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Yung,Yan and the Evils" , posted Tue 25 Jan 12:16:post reply

Uppercut brothers don't bother me too much and I do think they're different in feel to some degree (I'm a Sakura player, after all), but yeah, given the choice of yet another Gouki or say, my good pals Rolento or Q, I know who I'd want in the spot. I can't even play Q very well, but I sure love shrieking, Kyuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu! whenever I do any attack. Q is rad.

Anyway, uppercut-wise, at least Sean isn't in it. I hate Sean.
quote:
I'll never see Remy outside of 3S ports and re-releases...
But maybe we should move the conversation center outside of the controversial Ryu copies and into the land of character assassination! I re-propose (for Shin to counter): in a game featuring the most gorgeous Chun Li and thus the most gorgeous fighting game woman ever animated in 2D, why on earth does Remy always look to me like he has like three frames of animation? Years later, it still puzzles me to no end.

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 25 Jan 12:17]

TheRedKnight
296th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Yung,Yan and the Evils" , posted Tue 25 Jan 15:06post reply

quote:
I know- Devil's advocate, but the "easier for Capcom" argument could spiral into a "we're lucky to have anything" sort of situation, which is silly.

...Isn't this whole situation regarding Capcom once again making Street Fighter games a "we're lucky to have anything" sort of situation?

Iggy
9213th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Yung,Yan and the Evils" , posted Tue 25 Jan 21:39post reply

quote:
in a game featuring the most gorgeous Chun Li and thus the most gorgeous fighting game woman ever animated in 2D, why on earth does Remy always look to me like he has like three frames of animation? Years later, it still puzzles me to no end.

Because he had been designed, rejected, and then Chunli took so fucking long to draw that the rest of the designers who had finished 12/Makoto/Q on time had enough time on their hands to make an extra character.

Ishmael
3995th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Yung,Yan and the Elvis" , posted Tue 25 Jan 22:58post reply

quote:
Now I agree with you but playing as devil's advocate, as you know the appeal of shotos to Capcom is that they can be much easier to churn out than other different characters, back in the 2D days and I think even now. The models and animations are very similar in each of the shotos with only slight variation. Heck, Evil Ryu just looks like one of Ryu's alt. costumes. You could have 6 more shotos, or maybe 2 more real diverse characters.

If I was a betting man I would say that budget concerns was the main reason for the creation of these two. Even though SF4 has done well I can't imagine that Capcom is too keen on throwing too much money at a second round of fiddling with the game. To get the most out of what they had the programmers must have gone the Namco route and cobbled together characters out of pre-existing models and moves. To put it another way, Oni is Lizardman to Gouken's Sophitia. While having brand new models for every character would be ideal I expect anything new for AE will be along the lines of Yun and Yang swapping heads and other budget cutting tricks of old.

Iggy
9214th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Yung,Yan and the Elvis" , posted Wed 26 Jan 01:00post reply

Ah, and also: I agree that "we're lucky we got anything and we should rejoice Capcom threw a bone at us" is not a healthy posture.

But what about "I'd rather Capcom focus their wide, but limited, resources on their next game, the Tekken crossover, without ending the life of the SF4 franchise abruptly"?
It seems obvious that more characters in SF4 would mean a half-assed crossover down the road, or a delay of one or two years in its schedule.

Also, I still think the Tekken crossover shouldn't have been announced before at best autumn 2011. It kinda spoiled the fun of SF4AE and TTT2.

karasu99
523th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Yung,Yan and the Elvis" , posted Wed 26 Jan 03:29post reply

quote:

I wasn't trying to say that I was happy to have E. Ryu and Oni because 'hey, more characters!'-- I was more just expressing that the question of lots of shotos easily gets out of hand, and that the move to 3D makes differentiated characters a little easier, instead of SFZ era headswaps, so at least E. Ryu and Oni will be more differentiated than they were back in SFZ3.

But I totally take your point about rather having two returning characters who aren't shotos, instead of almost-reskins. I think in this case, as other folks have pointed out, it's a question of cost to develop an entirely new character animation. I expect it's pretty easy to reskin Gouki, add a new idle animation to his character model, and tweak several of his moves to behave differently while adding a new move or two.

Speaking for myself, I would rather see two more new characters instead of two returners, especially how Capcom so pleasantly surprised us with Juri and Hakkan in terms of pleasant character design, but I think that's even further from the realm of possibility, given the cost of designing said characters in addition to building and animating their models.

Gojira
2696th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):Yung,Yan and the Elvis" , posted Wed 26 Jan 04:19post reply

Looking at the reaction of the happy little casuals, I think Capcom knows more about what they're doing than many would give them credit for. So it wasn't Rolento, or Elena, or any of the 30 other characters that certain people were asking for; was this really about what they were asking for to begin with? At some point a developer just has to add stuff because they want to. They have that right. People will like or hate a character regardless. That's why I never understand why Ono has to "get support" to add a character like Rainbow Mika. Who exactly is deciding this?

quote:
Also, I still think the Tekken crossover shouldn't have been announced before at best autumn 2011. It kinda spoiled the fun of SF4AE and TTT2.

If they'd only just announced it and not shown anything, it probably wouldn't have been a problem. I don't know why there was a need to go all-out with hype on a game that wasn't even a month in development at the time.

At least that whole period gave us the Twitter accounts to follow. I don't know what I would do without Ono-chin's English nonsense dancing across my feed every day.

Toxico
5234th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):Yung,Yan and the Elvis" , posted Wed 26 Jan 07:39post reply

50 mins acho footage. I don't know if the elvis are in this, and quite frankly; I don't care.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Last update : Chapter 22 as of 10/01/11

Baines
273th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Yung,Yan and the Evils" , posted Wed 26 Jan 11:04post reply

quote:
When people were saying "6 new characters" I don't think "more Ryu and Gouki" was on the top of anyone's list.

Maybe not here, but worldwide? And maybe not top of the list, but for how many would "on the list" be accurate? If you poll everyone who might ever consider playing the game for a top six, how many people do you think will then ask for "more Ryu and Gouki"?

Evil Ryu is popular, and people do ask for him in games. People like to see what craziness a new Akuma might be up to. There are people that want the return of Violent Ken and Dark Sakura. And since all the other shotos get "powerful/psycho/evil" versions, I'm sure there are people who wanted to see "Evil Gouken".

Don't forget that most people are probably mostly happy with the roster already, with maybe two or three (non-variant-of-existing-shoto) people at most that they'd want to see return, and probably several (non-variant-of-existing-shoto) people that they wouldn't want to see in the game at all. Sure, there are people that want R.Mika, but there are also people who'd rather see six more versions of Ryu than to see Mika (or Q or whatever other absent character not already in a game) return.

Of course, as everyone has said, more shoto-variation characters are easier for Capcom than converting a unique character or creating someone new. Even if the moves are all new variations on the theme, they are still variations on a theme that has been fairly heavily explored, and thus presumably easier to create and tweak than an entirely different moveset.

mbisonhatclub
257th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Yung,Yan and the Evils" , posted Wed 26 Jan 14:40post reply

quote:
When people were saying "6 new characters" I don't think "more Ryu and Gouki" was on the top of anyone's list.
We need to get the whole world into wanting motherfuckin Dangerous Dhalsim with Yoga Uppercut(tm) abilities

Grave
1354th Post

PSN: Drakee
XBL: Mikelson

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Yung,Yan and the Evils" , posted Wed 26 Jan 15:15post reply

quote:
We need to get the whole world into wanting motherfuckin Dangerous Dhalsim with Yoga Uppercut(tm) abilities

The day I get my Yoga Uppercut spells the end of me saying anything bad about Capcom. Ever.

nobinobita
856th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Yung,Yan and the Evils" , posted Wed 26 Jan 15:28post reply

Mmmmmm... Remember when we could discuss characters and their back stories with the enthusiasm of a sports otaku praising their favorite athlete? Now we amuse ourselves by trying to decipher Capcom's business decisions, which is more or less an exercise in examining why they've left behind their original core fans.

Games have changed...

Gaming, and its vast consumption of human social life, has become a rational, well-oiled business transaction.

Games have changed.

Xbox live tagged gamers play Twitter enabled games that tag all their friends with automatic tweets.

Advertising inside their social networks enhance and regulate their actions.

Genetic control.. Information control..
Emotion control.. Battlefield control.

Everything is monitored, and kept under control.

Games have changed.

The age of mainstream gaming is now the age of control,creating hype machines for blockbusters of mass appeal.

And he who controls the battlefield, controls history.

Games have changed.

When the battlefield is under total control, games become routine.

www.art-eater.com

Maou
2143th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Yung,Yan and the Evils" , posted Wed 26 Jan 15:36post reply

quote:
Genetic control.. Information control..
Emotion control.. Battlefield control.
"Vast is the net..."

But fortunately hatclub has come up with the idea of the century with Dangerous Dhalsim to take my mind off of this and into mirth. I like this even better than when we used to translate Tan Sakura as Crisp Sakura, just for laughs.

Pollyanna
2991th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):Yung,Yan and the Evils" , posted Wed 26 Jan 18:18post reply

quote:
...Isn't this whole situation regarding Capcom once again making Street Fighter games a "we're lucky to have anything" sort of situation?

Maybe like...at first when Capcom had seemingly given up fighting games forever, but a sequel, numerous ports/spinoffs and the revival of another fighting game series later, that's just silly.

But there is a point where you might be asking too much. Obviously I don't expect every single character I like to be included just because I like them. Obviously, it's easier for Capcom to modify a preexisting character than make a totally new one. I was arguing for the feelings of disappointment that many players have...I understand that Capcom can't do everything for everyone, and SSF4 already had a marvelously diverse cast. I'm just saying, when so many people were thinking "6 new characters" (even if this was never true) they probably weren't thinking "modifications of old characters."

But Baines made me think of something... I always say that a company should not give you what you want so much as give you something you didn't know you wanted that's more interesting than what you could've thought of. Maybe people don't think to ask for 6 different Kens, but that's actually what they want.

quote:

Yeah, it gets on my nerves when games are announced years and years in advance. This isn't as bad as, say, Final Fantasy, but it has left me feeling like "ugh, do I really need all this Tekken?"

quote:
Mmmmmm... Remember when we could discuss characters and their back stories with the enthusiasm of a sports otaku praising their favorite athlete?

We have Just a Person to discuss back stories enough for all of us.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Iggy
9215th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):Yung,Yan and the Evils" , posted Wed 26 Jan 21:32post reply

quote:
I always say that a company should not give you what you want so much as give you something you didn't know you wanted that's more interesting than what you could've thought of.

Hakan has proved the validity of that idea for the centuries to come.

quote:

Please marry me.

Just a Person
1454th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):Yung,Yan and the Evils" , posted Thu 27 Jan 06:08post reply

quote:
50 mins acho footage. I don't know if the elvis are in this, and quite frankly; I don't care.

They aren't. But there are three nice Chunners matches, and I was glad to see that although people say she's not a very efficient character anymore, she still can win some matches.

quote:

Really? I don't remember the last time I discussed any back story here... and although I know quite a bit about Mortal Kombat (which doesn't seem to be very appreciated here), there are other people around this board with much better knowledge than me regarding back stories of Street Fighter, KOF, Tekken (whose plot I still fail to understand after Tekken 4), etc...

Ishmael
3998th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Yung,Yan and the Evils" , posted Thu 27 Jan 11:05post reply

quote:
Mmmmmm... Remember when we could discuss characters and their back stories with the enthusiasm of a sports otaku praising their favorite athlete? Now we amuse ourselves by trying to decipher Capcom's business decisions, which is more or less an exercise in examining why they've left behind their original core fans.

I'm pretty certain that Nobinobita is primarily posting to indulge in his love of Beat poetry but I still feel the need to respond.

First, the idea of games and their connection to business reminds me a lot of discussions I've heard concerning cinema. Both art styles were created by businesses and anything outside of the smallest production has to be funded by well moneyed sources. Nevertheless, both games and movies are viewed as being pandering and corrupt when they do something that is designed to turn a profit. I'm not trying to champion The Man here or anything but is denigrating business -which has been an integral part of games since the beginning- really in the best interest of videogames?

Second, I suspect you might be misreading the board's interest in the financial decisions of Capcom, SNKP and the like. As a point of reference, I spend far more time thinking about the back-story in games than anybody who has already graduated from elementary school really should. But my interest extends to the companies that make the games I enjoy. I want to know who the people are behind these games. What were they thinking during the process of creation? What was their inspiration? What did they hope to accomplish with the game? Yes, I even want to know about the backing and environment at the company. Wondering about something as dry as financial matters shows a person has moved beyond the surface interest of a casual fling into all encompassing love. Games have changed? No, it's that we've gone beyond casual dating in our relationship with games and are ready for commitment. Or ready to be committed. Whatever.

Toxico
5237th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):Yung,Yan and the Evils" , posted Thu 27 Jan 12:01post reply

quote:
I'm pretty certain that Nobinobita is primarily posting to indulge in his love of Beat poetry but I still feel the need to respond.

I'm more inclined to believe that between his views of the videogame financial world, and his persistence about the importance of visual conceptualization in everyday life his secret identity is one of those AI programs that where written by Masamune Shirow.

quote:
Games have changed? No, it's that we've gone beyond casual dating in our relationship with games and are ready for commitment

Quite certainly, when speaking of games we are far down into the road where rather than satisfy ourselves with casually meeting them when the opportunity presents itself; we travel all over the place looking for the newest pretty face, so that we can buy it for the cheapest price and lock it up permanently in our basements, adding a better price if we can get them factory sealed and has it's fresh, 'brand new' smell.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Last update : Chapter 22 as of 10/01/11

Pollyanna
2992th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Re(10):Yung,Yan and the Evils" , posted Thu 27 Jan 22:09post reply

quote:

Please marry me.

But I'm really a m--oh, uh...never mind.

quote:
Really? I don't remember the last time I discussed any back story here... and although I know quite a bit about Mortal Kombat (which doesn't seem to be very appreciated here), there are other people around this board with much better knowledge than me regarding back stories of Street Fighter, KOF, Tekken (whose plot I still fail to understand after Tekken 4), etc...

Maybe "backstory" isn't the right word, but you're often talking about the scenario/plot continuity/story aspects of games. You really didn't notice? I thought it was your trademark! Even in this thread, your focus is on the endings almost exclusively, and it seems like you're often asking for translations on character profiles and story.

I'm not saying it's necessarily bad, but it really struck me as "your thing."

Also, quite a few people on the board like Mortal Kombat, which is more than I can say for half of the RPGs I play.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Just a Person
1455th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Re(10):Yung,Yan and the Evils" , posted Fri 28 Jan 01:49post reply

quote:

Maybe "backstory" isn't the right word, but you're often talking about the scenario/plot continuity/story aspects of games. You really didn't notice? I thought it was your trademark! Even in this thread, your focus is on the endings almost exclusively, and it seems like you're often asking for translations on character profiles and story.

I'm not saying it's necessarily bad, but it really struck me as "your thing."

Also, quite a few people on the board like Mortal Kombat, which is more than I can say for half of the RPGs I play.

Oh, okay then, now I get what you meant. You're right, I really like to follow the story bits of fighting games. I had understood that you said that I know a lot of these backstories (which I don't; KOF and Tekken always get me confused, for instance), not that I like to find out about these backstories (which I do).

Thanks for the explanation!

Nobinobita
857th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):Yung,Yan and the Evils" , posted Sat 29 Jan 03:58post reply

quote:

Hehe yup, I was just kidding around.

I guess my attempt at self critical humor was a bit obtuse :P

quote:
I'm more inclined to believe that between his views of the videogame financial world, and his persistence about the importance of visual conceptualization in everyday life his secret identity is one of those AI programs that where written by Masamune Shirow.

"If our gods and our hopes are nothing but scientific phenomena, then it must be said that our love is scientific as well"

www.art-eater.com

Ishmael
4050th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):Yung,Yan and the Evils" , posted Fri 25 Mar 22:02post reply

Evil Ryu debuts. Just pretend we haven't seen him before. My, but Capcom certainly left themselves a lot of room on that newly created fourth row of the character select screen.

Also, Shadaloo and the Mishima Zaibatsu have teamed up to help out Japan. Nice to see even would-be world conquering cabals are civic minded.

maese
619th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Re(10):Yung,Yan and the Evils" , posted Sat 26 Mar 00:25post reply

quote:

Also, Shadaloo and the Mishima Zaibatsu have teamed up to help out Japan. Nice to see even would-be world conquering cabals are civic minded.

Priceless finding!!

Not nearly as awesome, but apelike aliens and bespectacled robots support this campaign for Japan's swift recovery as well.

mbisonhatclub
278th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(7):Re(10):Re(10):Yung,Yan and the Evils" , posted Sat 26 Mar 01:43post reply

quote:
Evil Ryu debuts. Just pretend we haven't seen him before. My, but Capcom certainly left themselves a lot of room on that newly created fourth row of the character select screen.
Those other eight spots will be taken up by Orochi Sagat, Evil M.Bison, Evil Cammy, Violent Ken, Sadistic Sean, Dark Sakura, Shadow Chunli, and Boneclaw Vega.

TheRedKnight
300th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(8):Re(10):Re(10):Yung,Yan and the Evils" , posted Sat 26 Mar 01:54post reply

quote:

Those other eight spots will be taken up by Orochi Sagat, Evil M.Bison, Evil Cammy, Violent Ken, Sadistic Sean, Dark Sakura, Shadow Chunli, and Boneclaw Vega.

OK, Evil M.Bison and Boneclaw Vega were funny.

sibarraz
32th Post

PSN: n/a
XBL: sibarraz4life

Rare Customer

"Re(9):Re(10):Re(10):Yung,Yan and the Evils" , posted Sat 26 Mar 04:24post reply

Sadistic Sean was awesome too

Omega Dan anyone?

There is some money if they create ''Are Kuruou Inabikari no Kurimuzon Vaipā''