Wii: n/a

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Wed 18 Aug 21:16post reply

quote:
How was the new A-team film?
2 3 (Source)

Man, that's a small bar.

Are there fans of the A-Team in Japan?

Are there fans of the A-Team anywhere in the world?

Was the A-Team called to Japan in order to help those poor monkeys who were being annoyed by squirrels?

karasu99
414th Post

user profileedit/delete message

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Wed 18 Aug 23:14post reply

quote:

Seriously? The A-Team seems like the kind of thing that would support cosplayers and weird little SD figures. And themed bars, maybe.

quote:

Aw, now you're just being mean! Really though, I derive a strange sort of nostalgic comfort from watching it, so yes, I would say I'm a fan. Not a go-to-a-convention kind of fan, but a casual one at least. Surely I'm not the only one here at the Cafe? <cue the sound of crickets and frogs>

As for the original question, sorry Professor, haven't seen the movie. It looked a little disappointing to me (Plus I don't think I could stand the idea of someone other than Mr. T cast as BA).

Megane
495th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Thu 19 Aug 00:21post reply

quote:
Seriously? The A-Team seems like the kind of thing that would support cosplayers and weird little SD figures. And themed bars, maybe.

Aw, now you're just being mean! Really though, I derive a strange sort of nostalgic comfort from watching it, so yes, I would say I'm a fan. Not a go-to-a-convention kind of fan, but a casual one at least. Surely I'm not the only one here at the Cafe? <cue the sound of crickets and frogs>

As for the original question, sorry Professor, haven't seen the movie. It looked a little disappointing to me (Plus I don't think I could stand the idea of someone other than Mr. T cast as BA).

*raises hand*
I have fond memories of watching it with my dad. However, I do not have any memories of what exactly happened in the episodes, so all I remember is B.A.Barracus beating up fools and Face being a good impersonator. I specifically bought a black Matchbox van and called it the A-Team Van.

PSN:BlakeMaxwell3

Tai-Pan
477th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Thu 19 Aug 01:43post reply

quote:

I also watched this with my dad so yes even though I'm not a fan I have fond memories of the show.

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Ishmael
3865th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a

"Re(5):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Thu 19 Aug 05:00post reply

The only reason I said what I did in my previous post was because I wanted to make some sort of reply about the link but the Professor had already pointed out the hysterically tiny bar they shoehorned everyone into. Still, it brought out some interesting comments so it's all good.

Now that I think about it, the basic scenerio found in a typical A-Team episode is the same one used by Scooby Doo. This is up to and including the vans used as transportation to that episode's problem. Perhaps instead of a movie the A-Team franchise could have been better served by following Scooby Doo's example of using the same plot but with minor changes to the cast. Perhaps recast the A-Team as children who accept soldier for hire jobs at their daycare? Or maybe introduce a wise-cracking and/or mentally unstable young cousin for the helicopter pilot who could join them on their mercenary assingments?

Maou
2046th Post

"Re(3):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Thu 19 Aug 10:02post reply

quote:
strange sort of nostalgic comfort from watching it, Surely I'm not the only one here at the Cafe?
I never watched the real show, but I do have nostalgic A-Team-related internet memories from 2000 or so when there was sort of a "Mr. T versus ____" meme where people would have him fight all kinds of random things. It usually ended with Mr. T's opponent getting "thrown helluva far."

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Spoon
1996th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(4):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Thu 19 Aug 16:29:post reply

quote:
I never watched the real show,

Have you not lived in the 80's?
Have you not lived AT ALL?

[this message was edited by Spoon on Thu 19 Aug 16:29]

Professor
2771th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(6):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Thu 19 Aug 16:35post reply

quote:
The only reason I said what I did in my previous post was because I wanted to make some sort of reply about the link but the Professor had already pointed out the hysterically tiny bar they shoehorned everyone into. Still, it brought out some interesting comments so it's all good.

Now that I think about it, the basic scenerio found in a typical A-Team episode is the same one used by Scooby Doo. This is up to and including the vans used as transportation to that episode's problem. Perhaps instead of a movie the A-Team franchise could have been better served by following Scooby Doo's example of using the same plot but with minor changes to the cast. Perhaps recast the A-Team as children who accept soldier for hire jobs at their daycare? Or maybe introduce a wise-cracking and/or mentally unstable young cousin for the helicopter pilot who could join them on their mercenary assingments?

The A-team was like one of the signature TV shows from the 80's together with the Knight Rider series. And the thing is, they both ran with the same kind of story formula where they went around various towns and helped out the helpless.

Come to think, they were supposed to be soliders for hire but I don't think there was actually any episodes where they got paid...? Kind of explains why the characters were always taking on the oddest jobs like acting in a crocodile suit.

There was a show called "Bring Back the A-team" a few years back that went around and searched for the original cast. They actually found them.

Amakusa
857th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(7):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Thu 19 Aug 16:41post reply

quote:

Come to think, they were supposed to be soliders for hire but I don't think there was actually any episodes where they got paid...? Kind of explains why the characters were always taking on the oddest jobs like acting in a crocodile suit.

Oh they did get paid; it was rather inconsequential to the way things went.

I didn't find out until recently that Face was Starbuck on Battlestar Galactica. I watched both of them as a kid and I never put that together (whereas you could never mistake Mr. T in anything).

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

Tai-Pan
478th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Thu 19 Aug 22:48post reply

quote:
internet memories from 2000 or so

Internet memories from 2000?
I have this theory that after the year 2000, every year was only an update. (So the world DID end in 2000). 2001? More like v2.1, v2.2 ... v2.10, etc

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

karasu99
416th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(7):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Fri 20 Aug 01:40post reply

quote:
The A-team was like one of the signature TV shows from the 80's together with the Knight Rider series. And the thing is, they both ran with the same kind of story formula where they went around various towns and helped out the helpless.

It was a standard style for action shows of the 80's, far beyond these two-- MacGyver and the Master, to name just two more, followed almost the exact same formula, but with a different cast. It's a theme that even runs through movies of the 70's as well-- the equalizer helping out the little guy, whether it's against the government or against the corporate scoundrel who covets their land or wants to make them work for nothing, etc.

I think the money aspect was extremely secondary to the whole story. Plus, by making them complete the job regardless of the income (even though they complain about not getting paid/losing the money/getting only a fraction of the money they were promised) is part of what casts them as heroes: they're only doing it to help, ultimately.

Professor, the cast is still around, with the exception of George Peppard, who played Hannibal, who died in the 90's. He had been a pretty huge actor in the 60's-- he was even in Breakfast at Tiffany's. Dwight Schultz, who played Murdock, went on to play a recurring role as Barclay in Star Trek in the 90's. As Amaukusa points out, Dirk Benedict, Face, was in Battlestar Galactica, and a bunch of theater roles. And then of course there's Mr. T.

I heard an interview with Schultz and Benedict, who had small roles in the new movie. Apparently the scenes they filmed were tiny, and were reduced even further in the actual movie-- to the point where they are blink-missable-- and both regretted having their participation.

Ugh, I can't believe I'm typing ALL THIS about the A-Team. I guess I just enjoyed the show a lot!

Mozex
419th Post

PSN: Mozex

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Fri 20 Aug 08:56post reply

quote:

Yes, I am an A-Team fan. I watched it every day after school in grades 1-3. I watched it again as an adult. I watched the movie and enjoyed it thoroughly, although there isn't a huge relation to the original series.

Be kind to goblins.

Mozex
420th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(7):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Fri 20 Aug 08:59post reply

quote:

Hannibal Smith wanted to be a monster in a monster movie. It's really more of a dream-job than an odd-job.

My extreme love for A-Team extends to other shows currently airing that follow the same basic do-godder-for-hire formula: Burn Notice, Leverage.

Be kind to goblins.

Maese
595th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Fri 20 Aug 17:38post reply

quote:
I never watched the real show, but

You had no dignity childhood ;_;

KTallguy
1242th Post

PSN: Hunter-KT

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(5):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Fri 20 Aug 18:04post reply

I was a bigger fan of Mission Impossible than the A-Team. They ruined it with the 2nd and 3rd movies though.

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

Loona
337th Post

PSN: IkariLoona

Bronze Customer

"Re(6):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Fri 20 Aug 19:19post reply

quote:
I was a bigger fan of Mission Impossible than the A-Team. They ruined it with the 2nd and 3rd movies though.

I just watched The Expendables last night and I couldn't shake the feeling that that was the A-Team setting actually handled right - you know, guys with military training doing odd jobs for whomever but eventually going for the noble cause, but they actually use their training and equipment in a lethal way.
Then again, I haven't watched an A-Tema episode in years and the movie of the same name doesn't look very tempting...

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Mozex
421th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(7):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Sat 21 Aug 00:56post reply

quote:

Then again, I haven't watched an A-Tema episode in years and the movie of the same name doesn't look very tempting...

It's actually very good. I enjoyed it much more than Expendables. Both have stupidly impossible action stunts, but A-Team chose to accompany it with humor and Expendables accompanies its action with gore.

Be kind to goblins.

kofoguz
867th Post

"Re(5):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Sat 21 Aug 06:06post reply

quote:

I also watched this with my dad so yes even though I'm not a fan I have fond memories of the show.

Same here. I watched it with my older brothers and father. I didnt watch the new one and I dont need to now. Because If I would like to watch a-team I can watch the series, since I dont exactly remember what happened there except Mr. T has a phobia for flying.

Also I really hated the first Mission Impossible movie, if it's anything like that, than If I must watch A-team, I'll watch the series.

Toxico
5117th Post

"Re(6):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Thu 2 Sep 10:23post reply

....... Just make it stop

Oh, that made me remember that, I had a pal who we called "Popeye Kusanagi" (don't ask).... even he (who was like Popeye with Kyo's hair) looked more like Kyo than the guy in the movie.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Update 22 as of 27/08/10 (Temporary mega upload link).

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 19 as of 12/08/10

hikarutilmitt
551th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(8):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Thu 2 Sep 11:57post reply

quote:

It's actually very good. I enjoyed it much more than Expendables. Both have stupidly impossible action stunts, but A-Team chose to accompany it with humor and Expendables accompanies its action with gore.

Yeah, I was very pleasantly surprised at how "exact" The A-Team movie was. It captured everything that made the show so much fun to watch (being ridiculous in premise, ridiculous in stunts, humorous, etc) plus it had Liam Neeson who makes any movie better than it could have been (yes, even the Clash of the Titans remake).

But then I also enjoyed The Expendables for everything it set out to do: guns, explosions, testosterone and crazy action that was transplanted from the 80s and early 90s to now and given a shiny coat of awesome. It also helps that Stallone impressed the hell out of me with Rambo (IV).

PSN: hikarutimitt
XBL: hikarutilmitt

Toxico
5132th Post

"Re(9):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Sun 12 Sep 02:19post reply

Raise your hand if you recognize something I'm late to the party or something? first time I have seen this after the trailer, so it looks like I'm one game behind

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Last update : Chapter 20 as of 09/09/10

HAYATO
995th Post

"Re(10):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Sun 12 Sep 03:46post reply

quote:
Raise your hand if you recognize something I'm late to the party or something? first time I have seen this after the trailer, so it looks like I'm one game behind

So, a sequel is in the works then? Wow, that was completely unexpected...

Toxico
5145th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Thu 23 Sep 02:38:post reply

Hou....

Joe Pesci = The american Wakamoto..... The full scene is better, but the audio is so low I can barely hear anything.

That movie had a marvelous scene where 8 headless zombies try to off our lovely serial killer hero while "mr sandman" is playing in the back ground (is actually sung by the heads of the zombies). Unfortunately I haven't been able to find the original but at least you can hear the neat unique movie rendition of the song.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

[this message was edited by Toxico on Thu 23 Sep 03:03]

Toxico
5151th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Thu 7 Oct 14:03post reply

quote:

Demo available

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

HAYATO
1000th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(3):Re(10):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Fri 8 Oct 05:58post reply

quote:

Demo available

Well then, that means that they may have the full version ready for the next comiket, amirite? Anyways, I'm too busy with Castlevania:LoS (which is pure LOVE)to test this demo, so I'll wait for the final release (and its subsequent patches)...

PS: Wow, this is my 1000th post in the Cafe!!!

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
I never thought I'd reach such a high mark in any forum before leaving out of boredom. But, after spending so many lines with you guys, it's no wonder that the Cafe ended up being that place of eternal excitement, which has hooked me up for so many years (and hopefully, so many more to come!!)...

End of Spoiler

PSS: No wonder either, that my 1000th post had something to do with Castlevania. The chances were very high after all, but heh!!

End of Spoiler

sfried
574th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(10):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Fri 8 Oct 08:44post reply

quote:

Why is it that Touhou fan games are actually better than the official ones? I find the whole franchise to be simply too plagued by fanboys and the games to be relatively...boring.

karasu99
441th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Fri 8 Oct 09:02post reply

quote:
Why is it that Touhou fan games are actually better than the official ones? I find the whole franchise to be simply too plagued by fanboys and the games to be relatively...boring.

I found the first Kumajou Densetsu to be very pretty, very beautifully done, and ultimately extremely boring, in a way that for some reason the children of SOTN somehow never seem to be. For me at least.

What would be great is if Konami would pay the people making these games to work on some hypothetical future 2D Castlevania.

Oops, said That Name! Strange how it's been avoided pretty well for a bit of a stretch.

End of Spoiler

Toxico
5152th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Fri 8 Oct 09:26post reply

quote:

Probably it has to be with the fact that most official Touhou games are usually made by a single person?

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

sfried
575th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):Re(10):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Fri 8 Oct 14:18post reply

quote:
Probably it has to be with the fact that most official Touhou games are usually made by a single person?

There have been better single-person created shmups out there.

Ishmael
3907th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Sat 9 Oct 00:35post reply

quote:
Well then, that means that they may have the full version ready for the next comiket, amirite? Anyways, I'm too busy with Castlevania:LoS (which is pure LOVE)to test this demo, so I'll wait for the final release (and its subsequent patches)...

Question! I'm not trying to be uselessly negative but why is there game discussion in a nongaming thread? Had Castlevania not been mentioned enough recently and it sprouted up here by itself?

After playing the demo I'm curious about how the full LoS game turned out. However, I don't want to ask about it in this thread. I guess I'll simply wait since I know Castlevania will show up again elsewhere on the board of its own accord.

HAYATO
1001th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Sat 9 Oct 06:27post reply

quote:
Question! I'm not trying to be uselessly negative but why is there game discussion in a nongaming thread? Had Castlevania not been mentioned enough recently and it sprouted up here by itself?

After playing the demo I'm curious about how the full LoS game turned out. However, I don't want to ask about it in this thread. I guess I'll simply wait since I know Castlevania will show up again elsewhere on the board of its own accord.

Well, now that you mention it, the LoS is -OH WAI...

Ishmael: spoiling the fun since the first Belmont went to Romania...

Toxico
5171th Post

PSN: Toxic-Baron

"Re(6):Re(10):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Mon 25 Oct 03:46:post reply

I totally didn't catch up with this at the time, but by the time of when the miners where released from their underground prison, one of the local papers teased one of them with being Super Mario.... Apparently, Nintendo got to known this fact and found the issue to be quite silly and cute.

Kah kah.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Update 23 as of 25/10/10 (Temporary mega upload link).

Last update : Chapter 21 as of 15/10/10

[this message was edited by Toxico on Fri 29 Oct 11:22]

Professor
2843th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Grab stuff while you still can" , posted Fri 29 Oct 06:46:post reply

I wrote this in the SNKP thread too, but Infoseek Japan is shutting its free web hosting service at the end of the month (48 hours). That's going to be a *massive* closedown of individual sites. If there's any sites you like, better check on them and see if they're moving anywhere, and whatnot.

Many semi-pro artist sites have moved while others are left with uncertain destiny, and a few will still remain since they've already switched to Infoseek's pay service.

A lot of outdated sites worth archiving are going to be gone, like Ragdot and the arcade game bbs art logs. The console game bbs art logs has its index on Infoseek but its bulk is fortunately at Angelfire

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 29 Oct 06:59]

Toxico
5171th Post

"Re(1):Grab stuff while you still can" , posted Fri 29 Oct 11:22post reply

quote:
Infoseek Japan is shutting its free web hosting service at the end of the month (48 hours). That's going to be a *massive* closedown of individual sites.

Gah! That's like... like.... throwing poison into the town's drinking water supply sources!!

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Spoon
2037th Post

"Re(1):Grab stuff while you still can" , posted Fri 29 Oct 11:25post reply

quote:
its bulk is fortunately at Angelfire

This is one of the strangest "fortunately"'s I've heard in awhile.

Toxico
5182th Post

"Re(2):Grab stuff while you still can" , posted Tue 16 Nov 14:48:post reply

Today I stupidly realized that Niwango actually offers an official Spanish Interface on Nico nico douga... The interesting part is that creating an account in the supanisu side of the site allows me to log in and do everything the same in the jp side of the site (it's the same server). Comments are restricted to the side that you are browsing in, so no silly risk for original nico users to face a sudden burst of gilipolleces.

Further investigating the matter I realized that the site has years of not being jp exclusive. Having no Engrish version available made me smile... Down with the crown!

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

[this message was edited by Toxico on Tue 16 Nov 14:50]

Toxico
5195th Post

"...." , posted Tue 7 Dec 13:13:post reply

......... Hail Dessler!

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

[this message was edited by Toxico on Tue 7 Dec 13:13]

Maou
2128th Post

"Re(1):...." , posted Tue 7 Dec 15:26post reply

quote:
......... Hail Dessler!

Relatedly, Matsumoto Leiji was just on NHK today being interviewed in the context of the nearly successful approach of unmanned search satellite Akatsuki/Dawn to Venus. While technically a romantic scifi writer really doesn't have much to do with actual space exploration, I love the man and approved of the whole concept of having him talk more than boring scientists. Even without Maetel, I would ride the 999 any day of the week.

Toxico
5205th Post

"Re(2):...." , posted Fri 17 Dec 14:19post reply

!? Over the years Madhouse has emphasized this bothersome tendency of selling their pitiful souls in exchange of budget to the extent were even the slightest apex of respect you had for them vanishes into thin air, har har.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Nobinobita
843th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(3):...." , posted Fri 17 Dec 21:41post reply

quote:
!? Over the years Madhouse has emphasized this bothersome tendency of selling their pitiful souls in exchange of budget to the extent were even the slightest apex of respect you had for them vanishes into thin air, har har.

You gotta do what you need to survive. Madhouse reminds me of the old Hollywood system where directors would churn out a couple movies for the studio, then get greenlit to do a project for themselves (Martin Scorcess discusses this at great length in his awesome documentary series A Personal Journey Through American Film with Martin Scorcese). Madhouse can sell out as hard as they want and I won't lose respect for them as long as they produce gems like Tatami Galaxy, Kaiba, Kemonozume and Redline. These are all shows and movies that really push the envelope of commercial productions. Tatami Galaxy is as close to literature as a tv show has ever gotten, Kemonozume is all that and more and Redline is 90 minutes of pure love sculpted out of white hot animation brawn!

www.art-eater.com

Toxico
5215th Post

"Re(4):...." , posted Fri 24 Dec 02:42:post reply

Is this famous?

I like this voice better

edit: Tokyo youth ordinance bill has a loop hole. So in theory while I can't get rating -18 shows about rebellious kids fighting the system and killing adults, I can download them electronically and be fine with it?

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

[this message was edited by Toxico on Fri 24 Dec 02:55]

Professor
2891th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Merry Christmas!" , posted Sat 25 Dec 16:35:post reply

This year's-end will be about burgers instead of Turkey and new year's dishes.

Hash browns.... Fried Tortilla chips, in a burger. eck.

[this message was edited by Professor on Sat 25 Dec 16:36]

Gojira
2683th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
Wii: 80085

"Merry Christmas! Re(1):Merry Christmas!" , posted Sat 25 Dec 18:26post reply

quote:

I don't... wow, what the hell is on that Miami burger. It looks like half-digested mushrooms.

Your health could suffer worse fates.

Spoon
2066th Post

"Re(1):Merry Christmas!" , posted Sun 26 Dec 01:47post reply

quote:

Crunchy fried things are really good in burgers!

If I have onion rings or fries I always put some inside my burgers!

There's even a burger place here that has the "crunchify" option, where they put a whole bunch of potato chips in your burger.

Toxico
5225th Post

"Gyah-!" , posted Fri 7 Jan 09:45post reply

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Insert Credit has..... .... No, I refuse to believe it!

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

karasu99
502th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Merry Christmas!" , posted Fri 7 Jan 12:00post reply

quote:
a whole bunch

What a perfect descriptor!

Toxico
5227th Post

"Re(1):Gyah-!" , posted Sun 9 Jan 20:10post reply

quote:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Insert Credit has..... .... No, I refuse to believe it!

Found this link in some other forum. Line art Pictures depicting a post apocalyptic japan, some are pretty nice.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

GekigangerV
1672th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Berserk Anime movie" , posted Tue 11 Jan 07:04post reply

Link Here

So it appears that those teasers that came out a few months ago were for a series of animated movies that will try to cover the Berserk manga.

I am not too sure how far or faithful they will be. I am pretty sure they will tone down the more graphic stuff (Trolls, Black dog Knights), but I hope we get as much as possible. Ideally, I would like them to span 3-4 volumes at a time. For example, the first movie covers the snake and slug apostles before the flash back. The second movie covers the flash back up until the first meeting with Zodd and so on.

That would be a lot of movies, but I guess that would give them enough time to let Miura come out with an extra volume or 2.

karasu99
505th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Gyah-!" , posted Tue 11 Jan 07:58post reply

quote:

Found this link in some other forum. Line art Pictures depicting a post apocalyptic japan, some are pretty nice.

These are absolutely beautiful! I am surprised that your black heart found the emotions to post something like that.

Ishmael
3977th Post

"Re(3):Gyah-!" , posted Tue 11 Jan 09:41post reply

quote:

These are absolutely beautiful! I am surprised that your black heart found the emotions to post something like that.

It's a gallery built around the complete eradication of the human race; what a softie that Toxico turned out to be!

As for myself, I'm only into badass things such as the news that the new Nintendogs will not only have puppies and kitties but they will eventually recognize your face if you play enough. This game sounds so absurdly adorable that I want to shove it in my mouth.

Baines
272th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Berserk Anime movie" , posted Wed 12 Jan 17:49post reply

quote:
I am not too sure how far or faithful they will be. I am pretty sure they will tone down the more graphic stuff (Trolls, Black dog Knights), but I hope we get as much as possible.

I'd be okay with the level of the TV series, though even that was toned downed. Although some of the later arcs might even start to feel the hurt of even that level, particularly as the TV series cut most of the violence involving children. (The child impaled on the first Apostle's weapon. The more in-your-face evidence that the Apostle was eating children. Guts' rape only shown in the nightmare flashback, a scene that was vague enough and with a "guy turns into monster at the key moment" ending that you could easily miss what it referenced. The dead kid that is key to Griffith's dream of getting to the castle by climbing corpses was nearly excised.)

I'm not even sure how you can do the fairy/wasp children storyline without violence on children, at least not without losing the whole point. (Kind of like the Disney version of Peter Pan versus the original story.)

Nut yes, I'd rather the new stuff be less restricted than more restricted. Most of the graphic nature of the story serves a purpose beyond just being graphic. It sets the world. War is bloody. Being a mercenary isn't always a good time. Monsters are monstrous. People can be monstrous. Of course some is just "If you hit something with a giant slab of edged iron, it will get splatted or sliced." (And in the still frames of the manga, even that served the purpose of showing Guts' power, skill, speed, and agility. And how those traits become more inhuman over time. I think Miura has lost some of that with his Guts' fights in the last few years.)

Nekros
329th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):Berserk Anime movie" , posted Wed 12 Jan 20:43:post reply

I think Guts inhumanity is well depitched after he gets the Berserker armor. He's freakin' cool and near-unbeatable but this burn himself out both in phisical healing and soul/identity maintenance.
Most recent volumes are not about gatsu, the focus is all about Griffith and the war, the making of the new world (basically the near-real dark ages with some monsters and supernatural elements turning into full fantasy dark ages).
Pretty interesting, but Miura, when your series will end? He reminds me of Hajiwara, making new elements one tankobon after another....and resulting in a neverending mess way different than the initial setting and plot.

Speaking about the movies, I don't care. Didn't like the tv anime at all, not interested in anime adaptations that can't be too faithful to the original. I like when there are big changes in plot or characters (FMA/Evangelion), but when it comes to visual or spirit is better to respect the original form.

I also noticed Mad House il working on a movie based on Trigun, sadly is more oriented to the comedy side of the show rather the sci-fi and drama ones. I'll pass this too.

[this message was edited by Nekros on Wed 12 Jan 20:46]

HAYATO
1019th Post

"Human annihilation FTW" , posted Wed 12 Jan 22:01post reply

quote:

It's a gallery built around the complete eradication of the human race; what a softie that Toxico turned out to be!

Wonderful gallery, it's exactly the stuff I fell in love with since I read John Christopher's "The White Mountains" as a child. Later on, when I discovered Shirow's rendition of the genre in "Wild Cherry Mountain" (a short story included in Exon Depot/ Pieces #1), I became a total junkie for "post apocaliptic jungle" themed stories...

In case you enjoy this sci-fi subgenre as much as I do, I'd suggest you to check these works out:

- Masmune Shirow's Exon Depot stories "Wild Cherry Mountain" and "Shimban".

- 2000AD's "Kingdom" comic series.

- "Giniro no Kami no Agito", the famous Gonzo anime film (whose landscapes are the only thing remarkale about it).

- Another remarkable setting can be foun on Sci-Fi channel's film "The Lost Future", but anything else is dreadful. Advisable only for hardcore fans...

- And, of course, "Enslaved: Odyssey to the West", one of the most entertaining videogames I've played this year. The plot doesn't make much sense, but the overall atmosphere is one of the best of its kind. Plus, it's full of Monkey Magic, which is a thumbs up in my book...

karasu99
506th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Human annihilation FTW" , posted Thu 13 Jan 02:10post reply

quote:

Wonderful gallery, it's exactly the stuff I fell in love with since I read John Christopher's "The White Mountains" as a child. Later on, when I discovered Shirow's rendition of the genre in "Wild Cherry Mountain" (a short story included in Exon Depot/ Pieces #1), I became a total junkie for "post apocaliptic jungle" themed stories...

Ah! I was delighted to see you mention the White Mountains! This remains one of my favorite science fiction series ever. I've been somewhat horrified to read that it has been adapted several times to visual media (including a game in the 19080's!), since I prefer to imaging the entire thing based purely on the beautiful original covers of the books from the late 1960's.

I will eagerly look into the other selections you mention! I love the post-apocalyptic genre, but I despair that so much of it just ends up showing a dilapidated or overgrown Statue of Liberty.

Toxico
5230th Post

"........." , posted Sun 16 Jan 05:29:post reply

Oh please don't... .... Just.... no.

I was thinking on changing the link, even before Gekigan's warning

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Last update : Chapter 22 as of 10/01/11

[this message was edited by Toxico on Sun 16 Jan 05:46]

GekigangerV
1675th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):........." , posted Sun 16 Jan 05:34:post reply

Edit.

Got rid of the link.

I wonder how they will do the Shini Gami. They actually weren't too bad in the Japanese version, but I feel they may change some around to be "more appealing" to an American audience.

[this message was edited by GekigangerV on Sun 16 Jan 07:30]

Toxico
5250th Post

"Re(2):........." , posted Thu 10 Feb 05:43:post reply

Btw, I'm in the middle of a Fox wedding at the moment. Does this mean that I have a love comedy situation waiting for me in the next 20 panels or so?

(Remember that it's midsummer down here).

In the meantime I'll be busy scrubbing clothes clean, fixing leaks and blocking the pathway for the water.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

[this message was edited by Toxico on Thu 10 Feb 05:46]

Toxico
5310th Post

"Re(3):........." , posted Tue 19 Apr 06:41:post reply

Battousai, ha? I can see this as nothing but trying to sell nostalgia to people. I wonder if the production will be on a similar level to the original series (unlike many other "revival" attempts as of late).

And I thought that Persona 4 getting an anime was weird!

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

[this message was edited by Toxico on Tue 19 Apr 07:01]

Maou
2182th Post

"Re(4):........." , posted Tue 19 Apr 10:08:post reply

quote:
Battousai, ha?
W, weird! Almost as weird as the equally unnecessary new Xenogears orchestral CD coming out just now. It's the 1990's all the time in the 2010's!...apparently.

Actually, if they just reanimated the delightful original comic and actually had the increased production values they gave to a very few select important TV episodes (Kyoto arc beginning with the Kenshin-Saitou fight) all the time, and maybe composed more than one piece of music, I might be kind of interested! The OAV's seemed to be increasingly confused about what how to "fix" Kenshin after ruining the TV show, especially the bizarre non-canon last one that came out in 2001 (Kenshin dies? Kenshin participates in the Sino-Japanese War? Kenshin has a fatal disease? Huh?)

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 19 Apr 11:38]

sibarraz
64th Post

PSN: n/a
XBL: sibarraz4life

Occasional Customer

"Re(5):........." , posted Tue 19 Apr 11:51post reply

Wait a second, I only had watched the trailer of that ova which is very sad

BUT KENSHIN FIGHTED IN THE SINO-JAPANESE WAR?

And lol, to think that dragon ball GT was jumping the shark already : (

nobinobita
901th Post

"Re(5):........." , posted Tue 19 Apr 12:49post reply

quote:
Battousai, ha? W, weird! Almost as weird as the equally unnecessary new Xenogears orchestral CD coming out just now. It's the 1990's all the time in the 2010's!...apparently.

Funny you mention that. I just got back from Portland, and it's exactly as this video describes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZt-pOc3moc

There's not one, but THREE thriving arcades there. It was the first time in over a decade that I played Street Fighter against strangers who obviously had no idea what they were doing and were just there to have fun.

Ah... Portland on my mind...

www.art-eater.com

Maou
2182th Post

"Re(6):........." , posted Tue 19 Apr 13:12post reply

quote:
Funny you mention that. I just got back from Portland, and it's exactly as this video describes:
Based on my recon from 2 months ago, this is literally 120% true!

Nobinobita
902th Post

"Re(7):........." , posted Tue 19 Apr 14:43post reply

quote:
120% true!

www.art-eater.com

Ishmael
4070th Post

"Re(6):........." , posted Wed 20 Apr 01:17post reply

quote:
There's not one, but THREE thriving arcades there. It was the first time in over a decade that I played Street Fighter against strangers who obviously had no idea what they were doing and were just there to have fun.

The next big trend in vacations is going to be arcade tourism. It will be like going on safari to see rare animals in their native habitat or perhaps more like a school outing to some ancient flytrap cabin to see how they lived in the good old days.

I know whenever I head out of town scouting out arcades is one of the things on my pre-vacation checklist. Thinking about a city in terms of simple things like arcades, restaurants, and so on helps me get a grip on parts of the world I'm not familiar with. Also, the thrill of playing random people isn't quite the same on-line as it is in an arcade. During my last vacation I managed to get a several game win streak going in SF against people who weren't all that good. It was very similar to your experience but nevertheless I felt invincible under the sun at the end of it all.

karasu99
583th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):........." , posted Thu 21 Apr 00:29post reply

quote:

Ah... Portland on my mind...

One thing Portland is missing is the kind of robust used games store that Seattle has.

But you're right, the arcade scene is excellent! Ground Kontrol even had Battle Garegga for a little while! Strange though that the NeoGeo presence there is so paltry.

Plus in terms of art it's pretty remarkable. Aside from Katsuya Terrada's recent show, Compound Gallery had a unbelievable Kow Yokoyama show that opened the week I moved here. In addition to his actual illustrations, they had little Mascinen Krieger figured that he had hand painted! I nearly wept.

There is quite a bit to recommend the Pacific Northwest, and Portland in particular, but you have to be prepared to accept Vitamin D deficiency and constant drizzle from November through March.

sibarraz
80th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Tue 26 Apr 23:05post reply

http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/imageboard/file/tumblr_lg0phyGRLl1qbqt8go1_500.jpg

I saw this in the random image board, and was, well, random xD

Could somebody say me what says there? xD I knew there is a big chance that is something related to the miners

Btw, in that imageboard I recall seeing a motivatonial poster which says ''Akira User'' But I couldn't find it, somebody has it?

Professor
3017th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Tue 26 Apr 23:46:post reply

quote:
http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/imageboard/file/tumblr_lg0phyGRLl1qbqt8go1_500.jpg

I saw this in the random image board, and was, well, random xD

Could somebody say me what says there? xD I knew there is a big chance that is something related to the miners

Btw, in that imageboard I recall seeing a motivatonial poster which says ''Akira User'' But I couldn't find it, somebody has it?

The first part talks about Sebastian Pinera, age 60, head of the coalition for change, winning the election last January 17th. The second part explains that he's a millionaire who even has an airline and a TV company in Chile, and he won his votes by emphasizing the creation of new employments. It's interesting, I wonder where it was sourced from.

"Akira User - Face it, you're doomed"
It's there, somewhere in the deep ocean of images...

[this message was edited by Professor on Tue 26 Apr 23:49]

Toxico
5313th Post

"Re(3):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Tue 26 Apr 23:57post reply

quote:

The first part talks about Sebastian Pinera, age 60, head of the coalition for change, winning the election last January 17th. The second part explains that he's a millionaire who even has an airline and a TV company in Chile, and he won his votes by emphasizing the creation of new employments. It's interesting, I wonder where it was sourced from.

I wonder who could have uploaded that, fuoh~hoho ho ho ho ho~~ Personally I also wondered from were it comes from, with my polite guess being Mudazumo Naki Kaikaku, however since I haven't gotten around to read it (though I plan to), I couldn't corroborate such hunch.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

sibarraz
81th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Wed 27 Apr 00:05post reply

Seeing Piñera there is well, random as hell, at least they got the facts rights, it's weird since that was not bashing or prasing him, was just saying that he won the elections

And lol, akira user yo're doomed, that sounds awesome

Toxico
5319th Post

"Re(5):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Sat 30 Apr 02:35post reply

The talk in the sonic thread about nostalgia and all reminds me that even if we hate to say it, we have to say that things aren't just made like they used to.

Dubbing

Action scenes

Well, you get the point already Tome Vampisol

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

sibarraz
88th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(6):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Sat 30 Apr 03:46:post reply

Well, at least we know now where konami found the dubbers for symphony of the night, they already has experience with dracula

EDIT: *Looks vampires in havana* WTF was that? the fact that the subtitles are not the same thing that appears on the dialogues make its funnier

[this message was edited by sibarraz on Sat 30 Apr 03:53]

Professor
3025th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(7):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Fri 6 May 15:51post reply

What the Miku in the world is this !?

Toxico
5338th Post

"Re(8):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Fri 20 May 10:59post reply

New Jojo!? How come no one tells me those things. The setting is Morioh (the town of Diamond is Unbreakable).

Steel Ball Run finished successfully if you are wondering, the last tankoubon will be published in June 3, I think.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Maou
2195th Post

"Mikuuu" , posted Fri 20 May 11:37post reply

quote:
What the Miku in the world is this !?

"What's going on in this town!?" Is that an animated mascot (albeit a sound synthesizer program) on a mainstream AMERICAN webpage for Toyota?! That is outstanding and astounding. I thought the US was too cynical to even have its own cartoon city or prefecture (state) mascot, so it belows my mind to see this here.

kofoguz
889th Post

"Re(9):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Fri 20 May 16:30post reply

quote:
New Jojo!? How come no one tells me those things. The setting is Morioh (the town of Diamond is Unbreakable).

Steel Ball Run finished successfully if you are wondering, the last tankoubon will be published in June 3, I think.

Remember my dream about 8th Jojo? I wonder storyline is also right. The main character is anti-hero doing bad deeds to survive? I didnt finished the steel ball yet so please avoid spoilers.

Iggy
9262th Post

"Re(9):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Fri 20 May 19:02post reply

quote:

And the setting is... weird, even for Jojo standards.

Aftermath of the recent earthquake in Moriocho, plus naked hero with 4 testicles.

End of Spoiler

Like... really?

sibarraz
108th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(10):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Sat 21 May 10:15post reply

Just wanted to say that wrestling legend randy ''macho man'' savage has passed away

Well, besides hogan, he was pretty much the steorotype of wrestler in north america

Loona
413th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Fri 27 May 01:45post reply

Apparently Infoseek is back, to an extent - seems an archive is available, that lets you access the old pages simply by replacing "co.jp" with "sk" in the old URLs - read about that here:

http://mugenguild.com/forumx/index.php?topic=122009.msg1345137#msg1345137

HAYATO
1033th Post

"Re(10):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Sun 29 May 17:46post reply

quote:

Like... really?

Now that Araki seems to be pursuing weirdness for the sake of it, I have to admit curiosity is killing me. Will Araki be able to screw things up even more so than he did in SBR? We'll see...

KTallguy
1324th Post

PSN: Hunter-KT

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):Re(10):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Wed 1 Jun 14:51:post reply

Any Mech game fans?
Really really looking forward to Hawken.
And this game was created by a team of 6 people! Christ!

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/design-goals-hawken/714431

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/design-goals-hawken/714433

This is why I want to get better at programming. :)

Edit: Days later, I realize this thread was "non gaming edition" ..... orz

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

[this message was edited by KTallguy on Fri 3 Jun 11:39]

Toxico
5358th Post

"May Lee will never sound the same" , posted Sat 11 Jun 08:15post reply

Kawakami dies after struggling for long with an Illness, happens all the time, I guess.

Utena? That rings a bell (?)

Off topic, Even my dark and evil soul is suffering damage

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

nobinobita
932th Post

"Re(10):Random Thread, testicle edition" , posted Sat 11 Jun 08:23:post reply

quote:

Like... really?

Long ago I was babysitting this little kid who thought that the number of testicles you had determined how many kids you would have. It made sense to him that there were 2 kids in his family, therefor his father had two balls, a trait which he inherited.

He had the most amazed expression when I told him that I came from a family of 7 kids.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Sat 11 Jun 08:26]

maese
635th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(2):Re(10):Random Thread, testicle edition" , posted Sat 11 Jun 08:35post reply

quote:

Long ago I was babysitting this little kid who thought that the number of testicles you had determined how many kids you would have. It made sense to him that there were 2 kids in his family, therefor his father had two balls, a trait which he inherited.

He had the most amazed expression when I told him that I came from a family of 7 kids.

I might be biased by the be the alcohol flowing through my veins, but I think this could very well be the most awesome anecdote I have heard in the last five weeks years.

karasu99
651th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Random Thread, testicle edition" , posted Sat 11 Jun 08:57post reply

quote:

I might be biased by the be the alcohol flowing through my veins, but I think this could very well be the most awesome anecdote I have heard in the last five weeks years.

No no, I'm 90% sober and I found it hilarious as well!

That's right after I got finished:

1) recovering from the shock of seeing this ancient thread resurrected

2) recovered from the sugar shock of Toxico's cat video. GUWAHHHH!!!!

Toxico
5367th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Fri 1 Jul 11:25:post reply

quote:
Now that Araki seems to be pursuing weirdness for the sake of it, I have to admit curiosity is killing me.

Speaking of, one of my friends pointed out that Togashi is taking a break from Idol Master and is going to take a temporary rest by drawing manga again

edit
Live action Kenshin?

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

[this message was edited by Toxico on Fri 1 Jul 12:40]

Toxico
5369th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Mon 4 Jul 14:40post reply

Ready for some real skull-scratchin' cosmically cosmic adventures?

....... <-

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Professor
3110th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):Re(10):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Mon 4 Jul 19:35:post reply

quote:
Ready for some real skull-scratchin' cosmically cosmic adventures?

....... <-

Sugar high makes you strong

waitasecthat'scheating

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 4 Jul 19:37]

Toxico
5372th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Fri 8 Jul 08:04post reply

quote:

Sugar high makes you strong

waitasecthat'scheating

Hoto pepa pipa pepa po

OT : GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGRIIIIIIIIIFFFFFFFIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! (we need inter-changeable front size, you can't express that unless you have a the size²)

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

chazumaru
807th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Random Thread, hungry edition" , posted Fri 8 Jul 17:13post reply

quote:

Hoto pepa pipa pepa po

I am not one to fall for charming pop idols unless they were born on September 2, 1966, but KK is bafflingly cute.
Kaela x Snoopy still does not beat this groovy duo. I could never find the full song

無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は

Gieflos
57th Post

PSN: pooplos-z
XBL: PooplosZ

Occasional Customer

"Re(7):Re(10):Random Thread, Kaela edition" , posted Fri 8 Jul 23:24post reply

Every time I see her I fall in love.
喜怒哀楽 plus 愛

Ishmael
4137th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Sat 9 Jul 01:31post reply

quote:
Hoto pepa pipa pepa po

Great, there's another tune that will be stuck in my head for the rest of my life.

Spoon
2201th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Random Thread, hungry edition" , posted Sun 10 Jul 06:38post reply

quote:

I am not one to fall for charming pop idols unless they were born on September 2, 1966,

I'm fairly certain that the manga Bankara, what with its obsession with Onyanko Club, was written with you as its target audience.

karasu99
693th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Sun 10 Jul 13:49post reply

quote:
Hoto pepa pipa pepa po

Great, there's another tune that will be stuck in my head for the rest of my life.

Same with me-- American advertisers should just use Japanese commercials to sell whatever, even if the actual products have nothing in common. It would totally work!

www.secret-arts.com

Toxico
5376th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Mon 11 Jul 08:41post reply

..... REPPA FUU JIN KEN!

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Ishmael
4143th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Random Thread, nongaming edition" , posted Wed 13 Jul 01:02post reply

Here's yet another attempt to cash in on Hakan mania. On the front page of the July 11th edition the Wall Street Journal ran an article about Turkish oil wrestling.

nobinobita
963th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Random Thread, nongaming editio" , posted Mon 18 Jul 14:50:post reply

quote:
This has nothing to do with nothing. But it's one of the best things ive seen, so here you go:

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lohr83egWU1qzea6yo1_500.gif

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lohrk7Fe0i1qzea6yo1_500.gif

quote:
That is actually the Dragon Screw, - I think - a real life move (I'm not good with throws). I think Ramon did something similar in game wise. Tekken King also has it as part of one of his counter variations, I think.

Thanks for the clarification!

quote:
I remember reading Nichijou once and not being that enthralled with it.

On the other hand, is the anime of it always that amazing?

I believe this should answer your question.

I've never heard of the show or comic til today, but everything i've seen from it has me in stitches. It's magnificent!

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Mon 18 Jul 15:11]

Toxico
5393th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Random Thread, nongaming " , posted Mon 18 Jul 15:31post reply

Joe Densetsu (a super play) - Nico

kuh kuh - Nico

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

Gojira
2759th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
Wii: 80085

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Random Thread, nongaming " , posted Mon 18 Jul 19:30post reply

quote:

On the other hand, is the anime of it always that amazing?

It's not always amazing (gag comedy rarely is 100% of the time), but there is some occasional genius to its presentation since KyoAni went all-out on it.

Also, the OPs were done by Hyadain, whose talent to entertain and confuse me has no peer.

Iggy
9280th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Random Thread, nongaming" , posted Tue 19 Jul 04:33:post reply

quote:
I've never heard of the show or comic til today, but everything i've seen from it has me in stitches. It's magnificent!

Warning: you need high level of moe-protection to survive more than a few minutes of Nichijou. Like, Lucky Star-high, or even worse.

Speaking of anime, fortunately, this season has two highlights:
* the adaptation of Usagi Drop, a manga about a 30-something salaryman who adopts the secret daughter of his late grand dad (so she's his aunt, but she's 6). The graphical faithfulness to the source material is pretty amazing, and it's the first time I ever see Inu Curry (the psychopaths who did the most visually insane parts of Zetsubou Sensei and the witches of Madoka) do something not "The Ring" level.
* But more importantly, this year is the grand return of Ikuhara Kunihiko, the main driving force behind Utena in the 90's, which could very well out-awesome everything we've ever seen since the invention of penguins. It's a deep melodrama about a girl dying of an incurable disease, her brothers fighting to save her, and amazing transformations. The script, the rythm and the complete insanity of the first two episodes are mesmerizing.

[this message was edited by Iggy on Tue 19 Jul 04:36]

Professor
3149th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(10):Re(10):Random Thread, nongaming editio" , posted Tue 19 Jul 19:16post reply

quote:
Here's yet another attempt to cash in on Hakan mania. On the front page of the July 11th edition the Wall Street Journal ran an article about Turkish oil wrestling.

So you automatically win by pulling down the opponent's pants?
They should've thrown that into SF4, pity.

quote:
Warning: you need high level of moe-protection to survive more than a few minutes of Nichijou. Like, Lucky Star-high, or even worse.

I feel gay watching Tiger & Bunny.

kofoguz
912th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Random Thread, nongaming " , posted Tue 19 Jul 20:31post reply

quote:

So you automatically win by pulling down the opponent's pants?
They should've thrown that into SF4, pity.

I've never knew that rule, but thinking of it I suppose its not that easy to pull the kispet (pants) down.
And if they added the move, you know Hakan has no underwear beneath the kispet, right. That means we could meet the seven daughter-maker.

quote:

Its funny I met the series yesterday, in a slash angle. I wonder if that's Batman and Robin style (hiding in the open) or Kirk and Spock style, in the actual show.

Maou
2228th Post

"in praise of Hakan" , posted Wed 20 Jul 01:34:post reply

quote:
Turkish oil wrestling.
Aha, so purists are worried about shortening the matches via points? I sympathize with their worry...the point system of modern kendo hurts the kenjutsu student of my high school days. That said, I last about 10 seconds as Hakan, so maybe my losing play style is "modern."

Hey Oğuz, remind me, do people like Hakan in Turkey? I heard that Juri wasn't really a hit in Korea (probably would've done better without the dumb Feng Shui Engine glowing eye bit), but I don't see how Turks (and all the rest of the world) couldn't love Hakan!

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 20 Jul 01:37]

Ishmael
4153th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Random Thread, nongaming " , posted Wed 20 Jul 01:36post reply

quote:
* the adaptation of Usagi Drop, a manga about a 30-something salaryman who adopts the secret daughter of his late grand dad (so she's his aunt, but she's 6). The graphical faithfulness to the source material is pretty amazing, and it's the first time I ever see Inu Curry (the psychopaths who did the most visually insane parts of Zetsubou Sensei and the witches of Madoka) do something not "The Ring" level.

How is Usagi Drop? The initial volumes make it look like it's going to be a domestic family sort of thing but it sounds like in the later volumes it turns into something else. Does it work as a full story or is it yet another manga that gets done in by a time skip?
quote:

Wow, that clip makes the show look more slash friendly than the new Hawaii Five-0 remake. Now that's saying something.

Toxico
5396th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Random Thread, nongaming" , posted Wed 20 Jul 01:59:post reply

quote:

How is Usagi Drop? The initial volumes make it look like it's going to be a domestic family sort of thing but it sounds like in the later volumes it turns into something else. Does it work as a full story or is it yet another manga that gets done in by a time skip?

It's hard to tell, initially the story only shows you the wonders and problems of childcare and how can people that don't know each other are to bound in a family perspective kind of deal. The later part swifts to the "maturity" phase of the characters, when they feel when they are "starting life" for the kid and "running out of options" for the folk, during the later part many interesting shifts happen to them that one couldn't have foreseen before (since "they are adults now", its really different"); the problem with the second part is that the "end", the last volume feels somewhat rushed as the characters just change too much in short time for the sake of understanding the girl better, thus people feel that the ending doesn't fall into place with the previous events (even though "clues" about the ending could be seen slightly from the start).

If you are only going to settle with the anime, then you probably won't have to worry yourself about that at all.

The series is not finished, though. The author said that it was going to start another "chapter" (arc) for the series (or already did?), the thing is that the current situation of the characters can still be subjected to changes, so there.

edit :

quote:

Hey Oğuz, remind me, do people like Hakan in Turkey? I heard that Juri wasn't really a hit in Korea (probably would've done better without the dumb Feng Shui Engine glowing eye bit), but I don't see how Turks (and all the rest of the world) couldn't love Hakan!

I think that the main complains from the korean populace was that Juri didn't really resembled a character designed in korea. I think that they even didn't voiced those complaints in such eloquent manner. For the record I remember May Lee being universally hated in Korea as well.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

[this message was edited by Toxico on Wed 20 Jul 02:04]

Loona
436th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Random Thread, nongaming" , posted Wed 20 Jul 02:26post reply

It seems almost heretic to hear of people disliking May Lee, but then again, from what would be a Korean counterpart to Athena she ended up as as a character who took her fandom of Japanese media very very seriously... I guess that would annoy some people there... which in turn makes me wonder about reactions to Athena-fanboy Jhun...

sibarraz
187th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):Random Thread, nongaming" , posted Wed 20 Jul 04:19post reply

quote:
It seems almost heretic to hear of people disliking May Lee, but then again, from what would be a Korean counterpart to Athena she ended up as as a character who took her fandom of Japanese media very very seriously... I guess that would annoy some people there... which in turn makes me wonder about reactions to Athena-fanboy Jhun...

This makes me wonder, how popular is kim there?

If I were korean I will fucking love him (I still anyways) but I don't know how people will take a japanese portrayal from a koren national hero

October 25 is the date!

kofoguz
913th Post

"Re(1):in praise of Hakan" , posted Wed 20 Jul 08:18post reply

quote:

When I heard Hakan was in I thought it would be a big news. Still it was on news but Hakan is a 15 year old late missed chance For Turkiye, cause niche arcade&fighting games are niche. But when its heard people who care gave positive reactions. Mostly to his wife. j/k.

People were happy and proud. Some people wondered why he's red with blue hair (people seem to not recognize that's not hair) even though they guess the color red is sun's and oil's job. People only complaint that in foreign forums&comments (I dont really know where or which forum )they insist that Hakan is an arabic character despite all the proof against it. The clothes of his and family, the name and freaking shouting of "Turkish wrestling rules". Not to mention Capcom's offical page has Turkish flag fo Hakan and confirms he's Turkish.
And finally for the wishing part, they wish that he talks Turkish or use some line's like "Hayda Bre", a phrase like "ora ora" or "Yare yare daze" of Jotaro's. It could be used for starting ultras.

Ishmael
4157th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Random Thread, nongaming" , posted Thu 21 Jul 12:07post reply

quote:
It's hard to tell, initially the story only shows you the wonders and problems of childcare and how can people that don't know each other are to bound in a family perspective kind of deal. The later part swifts to the "maturity" phase of the characters, when they feel when they are "starting life" for the kid and "running out of options" for the folk, during the later part many interesting shifts happen to them that one couldn't have foreseen before (since "they are adults now", its really different"); the problem with the second part is that the "end", the last volume feels somewhat rushed as the characters just change too much in short time for the sake of understanding the girl better, thus people feel that the ending doesn't fall into place with the previous events (even though "clues" about the ending could be seen slightly from the start).

If you are only going to settle with the anime, then you probably won't have to worry yourself about that at all.

Since I sort of know what I'm getting into I might have to take a look at the story. Having a shift partway through when you aren't expecting it can turn a person off to even a decent story. It also may be worth checking Usagi Drop out just because it's one of the few recent manga I've heard of that is too brief with it's story instead of treading water for a good dozen volumes. Being too quick about things is sometimes better than going on forever.

This thread has been going for eleven months. Can it make it a full year?

Toxico
5444th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):Random Thread, nongaming" , posted Fri 19 Aug 02:23:post reply

quote:
This thread has been going for eleven months. Can it make it a full year?

Speaking of old things and anniversaries and whatnot, does anyone here remember that the mmcafe had some sort of pet back in the day? And I'm not speaking about Brandon or Iggy, but an actual "fictional figure" that was to represent service or something within the site. I remember that it even had a 1p color palette and a 2p color palette.

So, I remember that I saved some of those "gift galleries" that this site used to have in some back ups and having got into a playful mood, I figured that I would search it and see it. Browsing through terabytes and terabytes of data is not exactly a quick process, it includes triggering your dust allergies when opening old boxes and trying out zillions of CDs that might or might not read, but will always make horrible sounds when placed in your drive... Ah, to think that there it was a time when 700 megabytes was like 30% of my HDD.

Anyway, I actually got bored of it for about 30% through the search (which used like 4 hours or something), and within the few things that I could review and whatnot, the only image of the girl (whose name totally escapes me) was some gift art that Juna made and that isn't exactly old since it was in this site like 3 years ago or something? .... Checking again, it's on the site now... It wasn't there the last time I checked it, but who knows how many years has been from that ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

[this message was edited by Toxico on Fri 19 Aug 02:30]

Spoon
2238th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):Random Thread, nongaming" , posted Sun 28 Aug 15:08post reply

Anybody on the East Coast bracing for hurricane?

I am playing Mugi Bust Bomber 2 while I await the apocalypse.

Toxico
5496th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Re(10):Random Thread, nongaming" , posted Fri 7 Oct 06:19:post reply

Berserk film cast revealed. Kinda sad that they didn't reused the original staff. Probably they want to increase the appeal to the non Berserk fan with the VAs and thus since the regular cast is not hot and young anymore they couldn't have them as the face of the franchise to this generation, quite a pity.

quote:

Berserk Ōgon Jidai-Hen I: Haō no Tamago will open in Japan in January, and the next two films will follow afterwards. The staff intends to eventually adapt the entire story from the manga

I expect long hiatus for the sake of playing Idol Master between movie and movie!

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

[this message was edited by Toxico on Fri 7 Oct 06:22]

Professor
3258th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(8):Re(10):Re(10):Random Thread, nongaming" , posted Mon 10 Oct 22:08:post reply

Year-end Lupin the third TV special
Voice actors are getting a re-cast; Goemon's being played by the VA who did Persona4's protagonist, Fujiko by Blazblue's Carl Clover, and Zenigata by SFA3's Cody.

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 10 Oct 22:28]

Ishmael
4232th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Re(10):Random Thread, nongaming" , posted Tue 11 Oct 00:20post reply

quote:
Voice actors are getting a re-cast; Goemon's being played by the VA who did Persona4's protagonist, Fujiko by Blazblue's Carl Clover, and Zenigata by SFA3's Cody.

That trailer made my day. I'm really digging the angular, Monkey Punch-ish designs on the characters this time out. The new voices are also sounding good. While it's sad to see a chunk of the old cast retire it's not unexpected news. The last special had acted like it was the unofficial swan song of Goro Naya as Zenigata so I guess the other two actors decided to bow out as well. What I did find to be a happy surprise is that Kiyoshi Kobayashi is still voicing Jigen after 40+ years. When it comes to a life-long commitment to playing a character the voice actors on The Simpsons have nothing on that guy!

Maou
2263th Post

"OI, RUPAN!" , posted Tue 11 Oct 13:36:post reply

quote:
A MOST LUPANIC SITUATION

OUTSTANDING! The old manga style art makes me happy, and I still hold out hope that they'll reestablish the comic's sex-violence-comedy dymanic that they've never nailed quite as strongly as the original 1978 Lupin vs. the Clone theatrical debut. Seems so far like the right direction since this director's Zenigata looks almost as on-point as he was in 1996's Dead or Alive. Like with a Bond movie, you can usually tell the skill of a director's take on a classic series by his treatment of certain aspects: if Zenigata is a fearsome rival and not a buffoon, you have a good Lupin film. I still remember our whole group doing a huge whoop-whoop cheer when Zenigata kicks the crap out of enemy goons in Dead or Alive with his judo and classic handcuffs on ropes.
quote:
What I did find to be a happy surprise is that Kiyoshi Kobayashi is still voicing Jigen after 40+ years.
No doubt! He's perfect, and he only gets more gruff over the years. Much as I love the old cast, Masuyama Eiko's age was making her sound a bit too much like an old nag as opposed to a saucy young thing, and even dear Naya Gorou sounded a bit too old.

...this is even more promising than the wonderful 30th anniversary special Episode 0. And here's hoping that this green jacket Lupin episode works better than the insane Red vs. Green psychobabble OAV.

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 11 Oct 13:41]

Spoon
2247th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Random Thread, nongaming" , posted Tue 11 Oct 13:51post reply

Trenchcoated robot makes me think of Q

Maou
2264th Post

"not so Lupanic" , posted Wed 12 Oct 16:53:post reply

quote:
O, oh...this is just an ad for the new pachinko-slot game we were looking at, also with the new cast. It's Fujiko~The $10 Billion Goddess (with possible reference to the "Goddess of Liberty" AKA the Japanese for Statue of Liberty, judging by the screens).

Blah. The actual TV special looks pretty ordinary, no Monkey Punch style designs, more Ghibli/Cagliostro in parts. The clinging child ala the awful "Die, Nostradamus" movie isn't a good sign, either. What a let-down...though the Pachinko scenario sure looks fun compared with the mainline stuff---I guess they keep the spirit alive there, of all places! Time to take up gambling...

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 12 Oct 17:15]

Ishmael
4233th Post

"Re(1):not so Lupanic" , posted Wed 12 Oct 23:48post reply

quote:
Year-end Lupin the third TV special O, oh...this is just an ad for the new pachinko-slot game we were looking at, also with the new cast. It's Fujiko~The $10 Billion Goddess (with possible reference to the "Goddess of Liberty" AKA the Japanese for Statue of Liberty, judging by the screens).

Blah. The actual TV special looks pretty ordinary, no Monkey Punch style designs, more Ghibli/Cagliostro in parts. The clinging child ala the awful "Die, Nostradamus" movie isn't a good sign, either. What a let-down...though the Pachinko scenario sure looks fun compared with the mainline stuff---I guess they keep the spirit alive there, of all places! Time to take up gambling...

What a disappointment. The new special looks like it's going to be another unremarkable Lupin adventure. Has teaming Lupin up with a child ever worked? Even Jigen has his doubts since on the poster it looks like he's doing his best to shoot the kid in the head.

Professor
3294th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Jean Reno to play Doraemon" , posted Fri 18 Nov 10:17post reply

Jean Reno to play Doraemon in an upcoming TV advertisement for Toyota

Toxico
5515th Post

"Re(1):Jean Reno to play Doraemon" , posted Fri 18 Nov 10:38post reply

quote:

My reaction

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

nobinobita
1006th Post

"Re(2):Jean Reno to play Doraemon" , posted Fri 18 Nov 11:10post reply

quote:

My reaction

These two posts absolutely made my day.

Here's something beautiful in return:
Tatsuyuki Tanaka flip book!

www.art-eater.com

Professor
3303th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):Jean Reno to play Doraemon" , posted Fri 18 Nov 20:23:post reply

That's a nice flipbook!

The Toyota ad is already running and viewable on Youtube

Synopsis:
Shizuka-chan and Nobita (both age 30) goes barbeque camping by train. It's a real pain.

Shizuka-chan: (looking bored) "Eh, it's time for my violin class"
Suneo : "Need a ride back?"
Shizuka-chan: "Oh, Suneo...!"
Suneo : "Hey Nobita, why didn't you come by car ?" (Drives away with Shizuka-chan)

Scene changes, Nobita is seen crying in his house. Doraemon enters.

Doraemon : "Hey Nobita, sup?"
Nobita: "Doraemon! Pull out a car!"
Doraemon : "No can do"
Nobita: "W.. hy not?"
Doraemon : (snickers) "You ain't got a license."

Toyota logo appears on screen, ad ends.

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 18 Nov 20:26]

chazumaru
839th Post

"Re(4):Jean Reno to play Doraemon" , posted Mon 21 Nov 21:08post reply

Tonight I dreamt that Jean Reno as Doraemon came to visit me and told me "You're doing a good job, man!".

無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は

Toxico
5518th Post

"Re(3):Jean Reno to play Doraemon" , posted Tue 22 Nov 04:45post reply

quote:
Here's something beautiful in return:
Tatsuyuki Tanaka flip book!

That reminds me. There is even a follow up It has different characters but supposedly the kids can still be seen in the background, could have made a pretty cool silent hilleske advanture. Actually, I dunno how many of those are in there.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ
Update 24 as of 21/11/11 (Temporary mega upload link). // 104 personajes traducidos

Last update : Chapter 23 as of 20/11/11

Toxico
5563th Post

"Re(4):щ(゚Д゚щ)" , posted Thu 19 Jan 05:55:post reply

If I'm reading my notices right, youtube's new horrible, impractical, stupid, fuggly, with gigantic pics that cause epilepsia and obviously tremendously inferior to the previous design (which was already inferior to the previous design, ha) "new layout" is going to become mandatory as of March 1st.

不幸だ

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ
Update 24 as of 21/11/11 (Temporary mega upload link). // 104 personajes traducidos

[this message was edited by Toxico on Thu 19 Jan 05:58]

Toxico
5578th Post

"Re(5):щ(゚Д゚щ)" , posted Sat 11 Feb 02:17post reply

The latest ultraman is going to be a little sister character, on a light novel series called Ultraman's Imouto.

..... Really, if I could just, right now, like... throw a giant meteor to Earth or something. Then again, if I did probably the latest super sentai series cross-dressed into imoto-moe characters would pop up from nowhere and would try to stop me, so maybe I should think about things like those more carefully from now on??

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ