karasu99
410th Post

user profileedit/delete message

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris
Wii: n/a

Gold Customer

"C-C-C-Chaos Breaker!" , posted Mon 16 Aug 22:48post reply

So, I hear from over at Shoryuken that Chaos Breaker/Dark Awake (or whatever they are calling it) is out on the Japan PSN now. After watching a few of the videos (and honestly having a predisposition to it to begin with) I'm thinking I may buy it.

But before I go through all the trouble of setting up a Japan PSN account, etc. etc., can anyone vouch for the game's quality? There are some pretty good videos here (and I have to say the that the idea of a skeleton knight on a skeleton horse as a playable character almost sells me on the game to start with-- along with that wonderful 'skeleton noise' that it makes), but I'd love to hear what anyone has to say about the game.

Pre-post edit: Ewww, the select screen portraits are pretty shoddy looking (you can find them here). Plus, 2000 Yen? *SIGH* The more I think of it, the less worth it it seems...

Replies:

Nobinobita
790th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):C-C-C-Chaos Breaker!" , posted Tue 17 Aug 02:40post reply

quote:
So, I hear from over at Shoryuken that Chaos Breaker/Dark Awake (or whatever they are calling it) is out on the Japan PSN now. After watching a few of the videos (and honestly having a predisposition to it to begin with) I'm thinking I may buy it.

But before I go through all the trouble of setting up a Japan PSN account, etc. etc., can anyone vouch for the game's quality? There are some pretty good videos here (and I have to say the that the idea of a skeleton knight on a skeleton horse as a playable character almost sells me on the game to start with-- along with that wonderful 'skeleton noise' that it makes), but I'd love to hear what anyone has to say about the game.

I can't vouch for the gameplay quality, but I will say that I'm gonna pick this game up on principle. I love the classic high fantasy look of the game. It's much closer to the feeling of table top games like Warhammer Fantasy than any Warhammer or Blizzard game. It's strange how influential Warhammer is, and yet, how few games in the post 16bit era manage to capture the spirit of it.

www.art-eater.com

karasu99
412th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):C-C-C-Chaos Breaker!" , posted Tue 17 Aug 03:08:post reply

quote:

I can't vouch for the gameplay quality, but I will say that I'm gonna pick this game up on principle. I love the classic high fantasy look of the game. It's much closer to the feeling of table top games like Warhammer Fantasy than any Warhammer or Blizzard game. It's strange how influential Warhammer is, and yet, how few games in the post 16bit era manage to capture the spirit of it.

YES! You've read my mind! I was thinking that from the videos it had a real tabletop RPG feel, and about how it's funny to me (as I slide the conversation subtly off the rails) how much Japan consumed (and ultimately regurgitated) the whole look and feel of games like Warhammer in ways like this, and in other ways like anime. But here it they definitely got it just right.

I think I am going to grab this one up, since if nothing else it looks great (and it's like a cool version of Golden Axe: The Duel). Also, getting Japan region PSN games has been made laughably easy, if anyone has wondered about it and was curious!

I'll post impressions about Dark Awake as soon as I have a chance to get it.

[this message was edited by karasu99 on Tue 17 Aug 03:09]

KTallguy
1236th Post

PSN: Hunter-KT
XBL: n/a

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(3):C-C-C-Chaos Breaker!" , posted Tue 17 Aug 11:51post reply

I've been wanting to get this but the pricetag and my busy schedule kind of scared me away.

I think it would be fun in a sort of "wow this is neat" kind of way though.

Looking forward to your impressions :)

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

Count Hihihi
264th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):C-C-C-Chaos Breaker!" , posted Tue 17 Aug 18:37post reply

quote:

I think I am going to grab this one up, since if nothing else it looks great (and it's like a cool version of Golden Axe: The Duel).

Golden Axe: The Duel IS cool. One of the most underrated fighting games on the Saturn, definitely! But yeah I'm going to get Dark Awake as soon as I get back home to my PS3. Though that's not happening in a few weeks..

THE LEGEND OF THE STRONGEST FIGHTING LORD OF ALL TIME!

Professor
2768th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):C-C-C-Chaos Breaker!" , posted Wed 18 Aug 00:49post reply

quote:

Pre-post edit: Ewww, the select screen portraits are pretty shoddy looking (you can find them here). Plus, 2000 Yen? *SIGH* The more I think of it, the less worth it it seems...

It is a very... interesting game. It has a member select system kind of similar to KOF2001 (yes, so Chaos Breaker is almost 10 years old), where you can chose between 1 to 3 team members for your game; you can select items instead of members, like a set of mana potions to regain power, an elixer to ressurect on a KO, and equipments that give various powers and abilities.

2000 yen isn't that much, but it's one of games with a cult following. It definitely is a different game from other fighters but it's also 4:3 screen ratio and oold.

karasu99
415th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):C-C-C-Chaos Breaker!" , posted Wed 18 Aug 23:32post reply

quote:
It is a very... interesting game. It has a member select system kind of similar to KOF2001 (yes, so Chaos Breaker is almost 10 years old), where you can chose between 1 to 3 team members for your game; you can select items instead of members, like a set of mana potions to regain power, an elixer to ressurect on a KO, and equipments that give various powers and abilities.

Okay, my Japan region network ticket codes came through last night, so I bought Dark Awake.

After a bit of buyer's regret (resolved when I played the game) and the first-ever time my PS3 hung up while loading a game (I even had to do a hard reset!), I played a bit of the game.

And... it's good! Nobinobita is dead-on about it being Warhammer-esque-- one of my first opponents was... well, a cannon (or more accurately a few little guys operating a cannon), which I don't quite get-- maybe it's fun to play as.

Combos are pretty straightforward and easy to pull off, and a few characters are juggling nightmares (and at least one has a juggle-heavy infinite). It's without question a little old-fashioned, but I don't think in a negative way-- after all, I still play 2002UM quite often, so it's doesn't seem that old to me.

Graphics are good-- the characters animate really well, and the backgrounds are good but not great (they were at least trying though). The one area that I wish was better was the clash effects and specials. The 'energy' effect of the specials seems really muddy because there is a lot of (totally expected) pixelization combined with a pretty large area of effect. The end result is that it's hard to see what's actually happening at the point of impact.

If anyone cares to hear it, I'll post some more after I play it a little more in-depth tonight.

So yes, I think it was worth it to pick the game up. The whole process of buying it from the JP region store was not very tough, and the game was not particularly expensive. If you appreciate more obscure fighters, I'd recommend it.