Darkstalkers and the 12 Principles of Anim. - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3698 Views )

nobinobita
766th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Darkstalkers and the 12 Principles of Anim." , posted Tue 27 Jul 23:52:post reply

Hello internet buddies,

Remember that really long post I made years ago about Darkstalkers and the 12 Principles of Animation?

Well I've finally backed it up on my brand spanking new blog:

www.art-eater.com

The post has been updated with images and more detailed text. I hope you enjoy it.

I'm gonna try to update the blog about once or twice a month. I'll be writing mostly about art, videogames, movies and comics. I aim to take a more analytical approach to my posts. I'm hoping my blog will encourage people to think more about what they are really reacting to and identifying with in art and media. I hope to start some good discussions.

Have a look and leave some comments! Tell me whatcha think!
Tell your friends! Wake the neighbors! Hide your daughters!

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Tue 27 Jul 23:55]

Replies:

GPA
55th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Darkstalkers and the 12 Principles of A" , posted Wed 28 Jul 01:03post reply

Awesome blog! Got it added to my regular viewing sites! Any chance you or your company will be at siggraph?

Ishmael
3851th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):Darkstalkers and the 12 Principles of A" , posted Wed 28 Jul 02:07post reply

Congrats on setting up a place to express your thoughts. I'll be looking forward to seeing what the future holds for your new project.

karasu99
396th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

Silver Customer

"Re(3):Darkstalkers and the 12 Principles of A" , posted Wed 28 Jul 02:10post reply

quote:
Congrats on setting up a place to express your thoughts. I'll be looking forward to seeing what the future holds for your new project.

I'll second that! Awesome blog, and with a great looking layout as well! I'm about to read the Inception post right now!

badoor
143th Post

PSN: BadoorSNK
XBL: BadoorSNK

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Darkstalkers and the 12 Principles of A" , posted Wed 28 Jul 07:31post reply

quote:
Hello internet buddies,

Remember that really long post I made years ago about Darkstalkers and the 12 Principles of Animation?

www.art-eater.com

The post has been updated with images and more detailed text. I hope you enjoy it.

I'm gonna try to update the blog about once or twice a month. I'll be writing mostly about art, videogames, movies and comics. I aim to take a more analytical approach to my posts. I'm hoping my blog will encourage people to think more about what they are really reacting to and identifying with in art and media. I hope to start some good discussions.

Congrats on the blog. Now if you talk about weird eroge developers and other obscure or esoteric gaming related topics, your blog might become the new Insert Credit.

Toxico
5078th Post

"Re(1):Darkstalkers and the 12 Principles of A" , posted Wed 28 Jul 09:42post reply

quote:

You should be like other shameless users and add a link of it in your tag or your profile.

... I'll be looking forward to some arguments about motion capture, or the art of inking in the early 90s and 00s.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Update 21 as of 29/01/10 (Temporary mega upload link).

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 18 as of 02/07/10

Professor
2738th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):Darkstalkers and the 12 Principles of A" , posted Wed 28 Jul 13:36post reply

quote:
Hello internet buddies,

www.art-eater.com

Wow, this is nice. Very nice! Kudos on your new site/blog.
I'm reading on the Darkstalkers column-- it must've taken quite some time to write and edit all of this.
It's quite informative indeed.

Also, the random artworks on the top header are very impressive!

On a related note, the #7 in the Darkstalker column reminded me that an animation book released last week covered fighting game sequences. What a coincidence.

Digitalboy
695th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(2):Darkstalkers and the 12 Principles of A" , posted Fri 30 Jul 08:15post reply

I like your website. I am also impressed by your breakdown of Christopher Nolan's work.

How do you feel about David Lynch's works?

And how do you feel about art plagiarism?

I guess you can include these in a future update on your website...hint hint wink wink nudge.

Professor, you are a mad man! I need...to buy...this...BOOK!
quote:

On a related note, the #7 in the Darkstalker column reminded me that an animation book released last week covered fighting game sequences. What a coincidence.

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

nobinobita
768th Post

"Re(2):Darkstalkers and the 12 Principles of A" , posted Sat 31 Jul 04:13:post reply

quote:
Awesome blog! Got it added to my regular viewing sites! Any chance you or your company will be at siggraph?

I'd love to go but we didn't have any time this year. One of our lead animators, Robin Holstein, was part of the first Fjorg "iron animator" competition a few years back. He had an awesome time.

Did you attend Siggraph this year? (or any other year?)

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Sat 31 Jul 05:01]

nobinobita
768th Post

"Re(4):Darkstalkers and the 12 Principles of A" , posted Sat 31 Jul 04:50:post reply

quote:

quote:

I'll second that! Awesome blog, and with a great looking layout as well! I'm about to read the Inception post right now!

Thanks for the kind words! I'm going to try to update at least twice a month. If you have any thoughts to share, please post them in the comments section.

The layout was done by my best bud/biz partner Shawn Borsky, who has his own very cool design blog here.

If you ever need any professional web work done, drop me a line!

quote:
Congrats on the blog. Now if you talk about weird eroge developers and other obscure or esoteric gaming related topics, your blog might become the new Insert Credit.

Some eroge do have really nice art... I'll keep that in mind for the future...

quote:
You should be like other shameless users and add a link of it in your tag or your profile.

Done and done!

quote:
... I'll be looking forward to some arguments about motion capture, or the art of inking in the early 90s and 00s.

I'm not completely against mocap. It can save alot of time, but it always needs to be edited to look it's best. Are you thinking of any particular artists when you mention inking?

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Sat 31 Jul 05:02]

Nobinobita
768th Post

"Re(2):Darkstalkers and the 12 Principles of A" , posted Sat 31 Jul 05:31post reply

quote:
Wow, this is nice. Very nice! Kudos on your new site/blog.
I'm reading on the Darkstalkers column-- it must've taken quite some time to write and edit all of this.
It's quite informative indeed.

Thanks for checking out my post! Writing that article was a blast, but editing it took forever (i made alot of minor updates since it was originally posted here). I figure i'll become more efficient with practice.

quote:
Also, the random artworks on the top header are very impressive!

Thanks professor! That means alot to me.

This book looks great. So is it specifically about how to animate for games? I'd love to get my hands on that.

Nobinobita
770th Post

"Re(3):Darkstalkers and the 12 Principles of A" , posted Sat 31 Jul 05:44:post reply

quote:
I like your website. I am also impressed by your breakdown of Christopher Nolan's work.

How do you feel about David Lynch's works?

And how do you feel about art plagiarism?

I guess you can include these in a future update on your website...hint hint wink wink nudge.

I haven't seen enough of David Lynch's work to comment. I really liked Twin Peaks as a kid, but it also scared the crap out of me so I don't really remember much of it. I've been meaning to marathon the entire show whenever I have a free weekend.

I also really liked Dune, but I probably haven't seen it in over a decade. The costumes and overall art direction and mood were really beautiful. I recall lots of cool touches the space docking stations having ornate Baroque-ish frames.

I did recently watch the pilot of "On The Air," which I thought was a blast. It really built up to an awesome slap stick climax.

I've enjoyed everything I've seen from David Lynch, but I don't know any of his work well enough to delve very deeply into it. Can you recommend a good starting point, or viewing order?

As for art plagiarism, that's a tough one. Like Picasso said, good artists borrow, great artists steal. People swipe ideas from each other all the time. I think all that matters is if they do anything interesting with it. For instance, when God of War took the concept of QTEs from Shenmue (and more specifically from the DC and PS2 Berserk games) it was called an evolution. But years later when a game like Dante's Inferno is recycling the same ideas it's considered a rip off.

That's a really simple example though... man... so much food for thought!

[this message was edited by Nobinobita on Sat 31 Jul 05:47]

Toxico
5087th Post

"Re(5):Darkstalkers and the 12 Principles of A" , posted Sat 31 Jul 12:52post reply

quote:

I'm not completely against mocap. It can save alot of time, but it always needs to be edited to look it's best. Are you thinking of any particular artists when you mention inking?

To me one of the biggest weak points of motion capture is mainly the difference of result on what the actors are supposed to do in the capture, and what the actors could possible do if they tried on their own accord. Whenever I analyze most mocap I get the feeling that who ever worked on the move was saving energy because he had to do two thousand other moves after within 2 days, or because there it was a director or an executive board telling him that he shouldn't stretch so far or it won't be good for the move.

About the inking, I think that one of our biggest difference that we have as 'reviewers' (aside kilometers of knowledge, as I barely go by) is that you focus more on authors, while I tend to track down the tendencies of studios or trend setters. I still remember how carefully I tried to grasp the true magnitude of marvel studios works back in the day, watching them frame by frame.

Of course, I'll be checking the blog regularly har har.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Update 22 as of 27/08/10 (Temporary mega upload link).

Professor
2745th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):Darkstalkers and the 12 Principles of A" , posted Sat 31 Jul 15:13post reply

quote:

This book looks great. So is it specifically about how to animate for games? I'd love to get my hands on that.

Unfortunately no, it's not specific to games. It's titled "The basics of drawing animation"(ISBN 978-4-86267-088-5) written by a guy named Tadashi Ozawa, a former employee/animation checker at Studio Ghibli who when on to Madhouse before going independent.

The first half of the book covers human motions and the second half covers vehicles and robots. There's quicktime samples of what's covered in the first half here, so it's probably best to check them to avoid the book if it's not that good. The game-ish stuff should start somewhere from around P.80 or 90 (currently on machine without quicktime).

Digitalboy
696th Post

"Re(4):Darkstalkers and the 12 Principles of A" , posted Sat 31 Jul 15:22post reply

My face when I read this...
quote:
Like Picasso said, good artists borrow, great artists steal. People swipe ideas from each other all the time.

It's time to plagiarize BITCHES!!!

HNL!!!

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
Hole Nother Level...

End of Spoiler

I don't know how to live

KTallguy
1231th Post

PSN: Hunter-KT

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Darkstalkers and the 12 Principles of A" , posted Sun 1 Aug 02:33post reply

Just wanted to say that this blog is awesome :)
I will be reading it every time you update.

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

HAYATO
988th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(4):Darkstalkers and the 12 Principles of A" , posted Sun 1 Aug 08:38:post reply

quote:
I haven't seen enough of David Lynch's work to comment. I really liked Twin Peaks as a kid, but it also scared the crap out of me so I don't really remember much of it. I've been meaning to marathon the entire show whenever I have a free weekend.

I also really liked Dune, but I probably haven't seen it in over a decade. The costumes and overall art direction and mood were really beautiful. I recall lots of cool touches the space docking stations having ornate Baroque-ish frames.

I did recently watch the pilot of "On The Air," which I thought was a blast. It really built up to an awesome slap stick climax.

I've enjoyed everything I've seen from David Lynch, but I don't know any of his work well enough to delve very deeply into it. Can you recommend a good starting point, or viewing order?

Well, as Lynch happens to be my favourite director and I've watched almost all of his films I could keep track of, I'd suggest you to begin with his most conventional films, such as Straight Story or The Elephant Man. If I were to provide a viewing order for his filmography, it would be pretty similar to this:

------------ Standard Level (safe for everyone over 18 and open-minded)--------------

-The Elephant Man (great drama about the historical figure of the deformed man Joseph Merrick)

-The Straight Story (IMHO, the finest and most moving of all Lynch's films, even greater than the previous one)

-Wild at Heart (prety average in every aspect)

------------ Weirdness Threshold (down this line, films will get more and more bizarre)----------------

-Blue Velvet (interesting thriller which shows almost all the recurring themes and imagery Lynch uses to portray his obsessive inner world)

-Lost Highway (dark, oppresive and ambiguous, a film many will find disturbing, but a must see for Lynch fans)

-Mulholland Drive (great film, albeit a bit difficult to grasp in its entirety, it's a harsh and ellegant critic to the life of aspiring actors who get their dreams shattered in their quest for Hollywood glory)

------------ Insanity Threshold (don't watch this films before reaching, at least, Lost Highway on the list above)----------------

-The Short Films of David Lynch (a collection of short films, some more bizarre than others, it's a good warmup for what lies ahead...)

-Eraserhead (this film can't be explained, it must be watched, but proceed at your own risk. Prepare yourself for one of the weirdest movies ever filmed)

I can't write about Inland Empire, as I haven't seen it yet but, if anyone is interested, I'll try to place it in the ranking as soon as I can...

I leave DUNE out of the ranking because it isn't a novel adaptation, not a personal work like the others. Those unfamiliar with the original novel may find Lynch's rendition of the epic tale of Paul Atreides so confusing that they may have to watch the film more than once to understand the plot. Unfortunately, the big restrictions and pressure David Lynch was put under by producer Dino DeLaurentiis took their toll on the final cut. In order to solve this, there have been numerous attepmts made by fans to mount a version more faithful to the original script. The result can be found HERE, and I must say that it's the best version one can find out there, and the one anybody should watch...

And about Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me... watch it after the series' end. Albeit being a prequel, one must watch the full series (and what a wonderful one, must I say) to fully enjoy it. Anyone interested on a TP marathon, be aware that the full pack's weirdness level places it between Blue Velvet and Lost Highway.

Congrats for the web Nobi, and enjoy your Lynch, everyone!!

BONUS: Lynch loves PS2 (the Eraserhead way)

Update: LOL Ortography, plus some minor layout tweaks.

[this message was edited by HAYATO on Sun 1 Aug 18:08]

Digitalboy
697th Post

"Re(5):Darkstalkers and the 12 Principles of A" , posted Sun 1 Aug 14:41post reply

I rented and watched Lost Highway on VHS (what's that?) in 1997 and bought Mullholland Drive on DVD. Mulholland Drive DVD DOES NOT have chapters, so you cannot skip chapters! Either David Lynch intended this or the movie itself did.

Mulholland Drive came with a guide/tip sheet on what to look for in the movie.

Hayato - did any of his other movies comes with a guide as well?

quote:
-Lost Highway (dark, oppresive and ambiguous, a film many will find disturbing, but a must see for Lynch fans)

-Mulholland Drive (great film, albeit a bit difficult to grasp in its entirety, it's a harsh and ellegant critic to the life of aspiring actors who get their dreams shattered in their quest for Hollywood glory)

I don't know how to live

HAYATO
988th Post

"Re(6):Darkstalkers and the 12 Principles of A" , posted Sun 1 Aug 18:24post reply

quote:
I rented and watched Lost Highway on VHS (what's that?) in 1997 and bought Mullholland Drive on DVD. Mulholland Drive DVD DOES NOT have chapters, so you cannot skip chapters! Either David Lynch intended this or the movie itself did.

Mulholland Drive came with a guide/tip sheet on what to look for in the movie.

Hayato - did any of his other movies comes with a guide as well?

I don't know, because I watched them when the DVDs weren't available in my country (Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, Wild at Heart...), and just downloaded them back in the day.

I don't think guides are a must to understand the Lynchverse, but I'd strongly suggest to consult, at least, the Wikipedia entries of the following films, in case of any understanding issue:

- Lost Highway
- Mulholland Drive
- Eraserhead

Nobinobita
771th Post

"Re(6):Darkstalkers and the 12 Principles of A" , posted Tue 3 Aug 07:18post reply

quote:
To me one of the biggest weak points of motion capture is mainly the difference of result on what the actors are supposed to do in the capture, and what the actors could possible do if they tried on their own accord. Whenever I analyze most mocap I get the feeling that who ever worked on the move was saving energy because he had to do two thousand other moves after within 2 days, or because there it was a director or an executive board telling him that he shouldn't stretch so far or it won't be good for the move.

Straight motion capture data always looks weightless. You need animators to tweak it and give it some life. Capcom usually does a very good job of this (Resident Evil V, Devil May Cry 4 and Lost Planet 2 have some of the best mocap assisted animation in games).

These days alot of movie studios are actually having the animators themselves perform the motion capture in order to save on time and costs. As you can imagine, animating something is very different from actually DOING it in real life.

Some studios go crazy with the mocap. If you watch the special features for the original iron man movie, you'll see shots where they're motion capturing people floating on top of giant industrial fans in order to simulate free falling! Really roundabout!

The reason SFX studios rely on mocap so heavily is that shots might need to be approved at any moment. A live action director generally won't understand a hand keyed animation if it's only 75% done, but mocap data at least always looks finished, if not refined.

quote:
About the inking, I think that one of our biggest difference that we have as 'reviewers' (aside kilometers of knowledge, as I barely go by) is that you focus more on authors, while I tend to track down the tendencies of studios or trend setters. I still remember how carefully I tried to grasp the true magnitude of marvel studios works back in the day, watching them frame by frame.

Who are some of your favorite marvel artists? I used to LOVE Jim Lee and Whilce Portacio back in the day. Art Adams was also a favorite (I collected his comics for fun, not just cos they might raise in value : P). As far as current artists go I really enjoy Ed McGuinness. His original work on Deadpool really stopped me in my tracks. When I first laid eyes on it i thought "my god, is Bengus drawing a marvel comic??"

quote:
Of course, I'll be checking the blog regularly har har.

Thanks!!!

Nobinobita
772th Post

"Re(4):Darkstalkers and the 12 Principles of A" , posted Tue 3 Aug 07:20post reply

quote:

The first half of the book covers human motions and the second half covers vehicles and robots. There's quicktime samples of what's covered in the first half here, so it's probably best to check them to avoid the book if it's not that good. The game-ish stuff should start somewhere from around P.80 or 90 (currently on machine without quicktime).

Wow, thanks for another great link! The book looks pretty straightforward and informative. Is this the same Tadashi Ozawa that did all those "How To Draw Manga" books?

Nobinobita
773th Post

"Re(2):Darkstalkers and the 12 Principles of A" , posted Tue 3 Aug 07:31post reply

quote:
Just wanted to say that this blog is awesome :)
I will be reading it every time you update.

Thanks very much! If you have any suggestions for future articles let me know. Here are some topics I hope to tackle in the future:

-Sprite art and color theory in KOFXII/XIII
-Influence of early Chinese art on Shadow of the Colossus
-Samurai X/Rorouni Kenshin OAV - how consistent imagery can bolster a narrative.
-SFIII, the best animated game 3V3R!!!
-Madworld: a bold statement on the current state of the videogame industry
-Metal Gear Portable Ops: How Information Travels
-Ghost In The Shell Innocence and Cybernetic Theory

Nobinobita
774th Post

"Re(5):Darkstalkers and the 12 Principles of A" , posted Tue 3 Aug 07:36post reply

quote:

Well, as Lynch happens to be my favourite director and I've watched almost all of his films I could keep track of, I'd suggest you to begin with his most conventional films, such as Straight Story or The Elephant Man. If I were to provide a viewing order for his filmography, it would be pretty similar to this:

Wow, thanks for the recommendations! I think I might actually jump right into Eraser Head. One of my best friends has been suggesting I watch that for years. I have a strong taste for "weird" movies as long as they seem more sincere than provocative.

Maou
2039th Post

"Re(3):Darkstalkers and the 12 Principles of A" , posted Tue 3 Aug 08:13post reply

quote:

-Samurai X/Rorouni Kenshin OAV

By all means! ...as long as you don't use the hideous Samurai X title. Let's see, was it the good OAV that had the wind chime imagery, or was it the (otherwise horrible and entirely non-canon) twilight years one...?

And if you keep writing these wonderful things, you could even submit them to Mechademia or something!

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Toxico
5092th Post

"Re(3):Darkstalkers and the 12 Principles of A" , posted Tue 3 Aug 09:00:post reply

quote:

Thanks very much! If you have any suggestions for future articles let me know.

Are you acquaintanced with Tenshi no tamago?

I suppose that you could always tackle other well known classics such as Akira or The Wings of Honneamise (I wonder how the second one has aged, considering all of those thing that Studio Ghibli has been putting out lately, maybe I should give it another run).

I wonder if you could speak as well of your preferred martial arts movie (I got this feeling that it's going to be Hero)

And and.... I can't think art when I'm killing zombies with Jackie chan in my other browser screen

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

[this message was edited by Toxico on Tue 3 Aug 09:01]

Nobinobita
775th Post

"Re(4):Darkstalkers and the 12 Principles of A" , posted Tue 3 Aug 10:00post reply

quote:
-Samurai X/Rorouni Kenshin OAV
By all means! ...as long as you don't use the hideous Samurai X title. Let's see, was it the good OAV that had the wind chime imagery, or was it the (otherwise horrible and entirely non-canon) twilight years one...?

I don't really follow the regular Kenshin series, but I really liked the OAVs about his past. They had really great direction. They were really literary with the imagery. I didn't care for any of the later movies though.

quote:
And if you keep writing these wonderful things, you could even submit them to Mechademia or something!

I would love to be published there. Thanks for the vote of confidence!

quote:

Are you acquaintanced with Tenshi no tamago?

I loved Angel's Egg. It's amazing it ever got made, it's an art film through and through. It's also probably the most atheistic movie I've ever seen. I'd love to be able to get a legit copy of it.

quote:
I wonder if you could speak as well of your preferred martial arts movie (I got this feeling that it's going to be Hero)

Hero is cool, but my favorite is Wheels on Meals!

quote:
And and.... I can't think art when I'm killing zombies with Jackie chan in my other browser screen

That sounds amazing.

www.art-eater.com

KTallguy
1232th Post

PSN: Hunter-KT

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(5):Darkstalkers and the 12 Principles of A" , posted Tue 3 Aug 10:40post reply

Since you're an animation guy, I would love to hear your opinions on the rotoscoping styles used in Flashback, The Last Express, and other older titles. I really want that style to make a comeback! (The last express was live action so maybe that's a stretch, but I always thought Flashback was really well done).

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

HAYATO
989th Post

"Re(6):Darkstalkers and the 12 Principles of A" , posted Tue 3 Aug 17:55post reply

In case you accept suggestions for upcoming articles, I'd like you to consider the following themes:

- Monographic about Mad House Studio's evolution through Yoshiaki Kawajiri's film works: from Lensman to Highlander.

- General article about anime anthologies in the 80's and early 90's or, better, monographics about each of the best known ones, such as Robot Carnival, Neo Tokyo, and Memories.

- Technical game analysis on some other Capcom arccade classics: Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, Strider, Midnight Wanderers, Marvel Superheroes, Super Gem Fighter Minimix...

- Technical game analysis on some Enix classics: Wonder Project J series, Nanatsu Kaze no Shima Monogatari, Valkyrie Profile Lenneth...

- Technical game analysis on some Treasure classics: Gunstar Heroes, Alien Soldier, Guardian Heroes, Silhouette Mirage, Radiant Silvergun...

- Other technical reviews on 16-bit era games: Sonic 2, Yoshi's Island, Hagane, Puggsy...

- Other technical reviews on 32-bit era games: Astal, Nights, Panzer Bandit, Panzer Dragoon, Skullmonkeys...

I hope you find some of these ideas interesting, as I'd love to know your doctored opinion about all of them, but I know I'm asking too much...

BTW, I've warned you about Eraserhead. If you watched the PS2 commercial I posted before, you already know what awaits you, so don't complain later if you end with your mental sanity compromised...

Loona
334th Post

PSN: IkariLoona

Bronze Customer

"Re(3):Darkstalkers and the 12 Principles of A" , posted Tue 3 Aug 18:30:post reply

I tend to really like your in-depth posts, so it's nice to see your writing expanding into a place of their own - I wish your project well!

quote:
If you have any suggestions for future articles let me know.

I recall you oce making a brief mention on how the models in Dissidia Final Fantasy were expertly made - I'm not sure how much that can be expanded on, but I'm curious on the topic. Having spent over a year with that game and still going strong with it kinda helps, I guess.

quote:
Here are some topics I hope to tackle in the future:

(...)

These two seem the most interesting to me, one because I'm an SNK fanboy and it was interesting to see how much there is to the concept of "color" in a post you recently made about it, and the other since the idea of flow of information can be interesting and have many applications - also, I work in technical documentation, so I may come across an interesting concept or two.

This in turn reminds me of a book I recently found and bought on a whim, it was called something like "The 101 things I learned in architecture school", which briefly covers thing that can go way beyond just architecture - might be worth looking into (especially as the price surprised me at the time, the price tag said it was about 42€, but at the cashier I found that was wrong and the book actually cost about 13€, so I felt rewarded for giving in to my curiosity).

Edit: Found it: "101 Things I Learned in Architecture School"

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

[this message was edited by Loona on Tue 3 Aug 22:10]

Ishmael
3856th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b

"Re(3):Darkstalkers and the 12 Principles of A" , posted Tue 3 Aug 23:02post reply

quote:
Thanks very much! If you have any suggestions for future articles let me know. Here are some topics I hope to tackle in the future:

-Samurai X/Rorouni Kenshin OAV - how consistent imagery can bolster a narrative.

All of those sound like fascinating topics. I have no idea what sort of Chinese influences can be found in SotC but I would love to learn about it. I would also be curious to find out if there is anything redeemable in Madworld. Discussing a work I enjoy is all well and good but it can turn into an exercise in mutual appreciation. But hearing about the successful aspects of a game that didn't personally impress me could have the potential to be far more illuminating.

quote:
-Eraserhead (this film can't be explained, it must be watched, but proceed at your own risk. Prepare yourself for one of the weirdest movies ever filmed)

For me, Eraserhead is the film that captures the unconscious narrative can be found in dreams. In films such as Inland Empire Lynch created some images of surreal beauty, but Eraserhead is the film where I felt like I was watching the projection of someone's id.

Professor
2752th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(5):Darkstalkers and the 12 Principles of A" , posted Wed 4 Aug 01:21:post reply

quote:

Wow, thanks for another great link! The book looks pretty straightforward and informative. Is this the same Tadashi Ozawa that did all those "How To Draw Manga" books?

If you mean manga-style character design tutorials, yes that's him alright.

That also reminds me-- one of the shortest yet informative tutorial on doing backgrounds that I've seen was also by an anime artist, Susumu Nishizawa. It focused on just one single subject that most other background tutorials for manga and anime rarely covers, which is compression of perspective. Nishizawa gives a quick overview of it on his site, and it's covered more in depth in the last 30 pages of his book.

Those are some nice ideas for upcoming writings!
Two ideas that I'd like to suggest would be on character designs.

1. Comparisons between what's important when designing characters for 2D games and 3D games.

2. A column on what's important for fighting game character designs. Characters in fighting games are usually designed with their animation in mind, but Capcom and SNK for instance, seems to take different approaches.

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 4 Aug 04:10]

HAYATO
990th Post

"Re(4):Darkstalkers and the 12 Principles of A" , posted Wed 4 Aug 06:55post reply

quote:

All of those sound like fascinating topics. I have no idea what sort of Chinese influences can be found in SotC but I would love to learn about it.

Certainly, this is an article many of us are already looking forward to. I always thought the designs of Wander and his world were heavily based on the Ainu people, so I think it's natural that such a bold statement as nobi's draws my attention so swiftly...

As the cyberpunk bitch I am, I'm also eager to read the Gits article; it's premise looks both interesting and thrilling, judging by its title's ambiguity...

And speaking of Shirow-inspired anime works... Could anyone of our resident animation experts (or anyone who attended SIGGRAPH 2010) shed some light about THIS?

quote:

For me, Eraserhead is the film that captures the unconscious narrative can be found in dreams. In films such as Inland Empire Lynch created some images of surreal beauty, but Eraserhead is the film where I felt like I was watching the projection of someone's id.

Your feelings couldn't be more accurate. That's what Eraserhead really is, nothing more, nothing less: all the angst and fears that Lynch felt when he knew he was soon to be a first-time father. Or so says the legend...

If you like this kind of films, you should check (in case you haven't done it yet) Tsukamoto Shinya's TETSUO. You won't be dissapointed in the least...

Nobinobita
779th Post

"Re(5):Darkstalkers and the 12 Principles of A" , posted Wed 4 Aug 07:09:post reply

quote:

And speaking of Shirow-inspired anime works... Could anyone of our resident animation experts (or anyone who attended SIGGRAPH 2010) shed some light about THIS?

Holy moly. I literally just got the shivers!!!

The director, Yasuhiro Aoki is a very good animator, and he did the Kungfu Love promo/pilot/shortfilm for studio 4C's "Amazing Nuts!"

I'm ABSURDLY excited for this!

*EDIT*
NOOOOOOOOO it's only 2 minutes long?? I guess it's a tech demo. Still sounds amazing though. I'm really interested to see how they traditional animation looks in stereoscopic 3d.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by Nobinobita on Wed 4 Aug 07:12]

HAYATO
993th Post

"Re(6):Darkstalkers and the 12 Principles of A" , posted Wed 4 Aug 08:41post reply

quote:

Holy moly. I literally just got the shivers!!!

The director, Yasuhiro Aoki is a very good animator, and he did the Kungfu Love promo/pilot/shortfilm for studio 4C's "Amazing Nuts!"

I'm ABSURDLY excited for this!

*EDIT*
NOOOOOOOOO it's only 2 minutes long?? I guess it's a tech demo. Still sounds amazing though. I'm really interested to see how they traditional animation looks in stereoscopic 3d.

I'm not an expert on the subject, but I can't recall any previous asian animation designed for Stereoscopic 3D. The most immersive experience I can remember (and the closest thing to Stero3D I know) is Oshii Mamoru's Mezame No Hakobune.

One thing is for sure: perhaps due to the nature of his works, Shirow has always been the author of choice to test innovative animation techniques, to push the boundaries of the medium, so, who knows? Perhaps, it's a kind of pilot/promo before the announcement of an OVA, full series or even a movie. Hey, a fan can dream, can't he?

sfried
549th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):Darkstalkers and the 12 Principles of A" , posted Wed 4 Aug 10:48post reply

quote:

If you mean manga-style character design tutorials, yes that's him alright.
I thought those books were written by Hikaru Hayashi?

Those links you gave were helpfull, but I wish some of them were translated since my Japanese just isn't that good. Any other links you might recommend?

Professor
2753th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(7):Darkstalkers and the 12 Principles of A" , posted Wed 4 Aug 11:49:post reply

quote:

If you mean manga-style character design tutorials, yes that's him alright. I thought those books were written by Hikaru Hayashi?

Those links you gave were helpfull, but I wish some of them were translated since my Japanese just isn't that good. Any other links you might recommend?

Hayashi's done most of the how-to-draw books, but Ozawa also has a number of books out as well. Ozawa's are mostly outdated and I'd dare reccomend anyone to purchase them.

About the perspective compression--
Basically, what's explained in the site is that that the human eye sees things close to a 50mm lens rather than a 35mm as often believed; drawing with that in mind makes things look more natural.

I don't know of any sites in English that covers compression in drawing but there's plenty when it comes to photography since it's a lens effect to begin with. Here's three that you might want to check.

http://photoinf.com/General/Klaus_Schroiff/Perspective.htm
Check the part with the trees.

http://www.tpub.com/content/armycomsystems/SS0507/SS05070034.htm

http://www.photozz.com/fizz/7239788.aspx
Explanation of the phenomenon.

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 4 Aug 12:13]

sfried
550th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(8):Darkstalkers and the 12 Principles of A" , posted Wed 4 Aug 12:15post reply

quote:

Hayashi's done most of the how-to-draw books, but Ozawa also has a number of books out as well. Nishizawa's are mostly outdated and I'd dare reccomend anyone to purchase them.

About the perspective compression--
Basically, what's explained in the site is that that the human eye sees things close to a 50mm lens rather than a 35mm; drawing with that in mind makes things look more natural.

Thanks, doc.

I also try to look at pixiv stuff under 講座 at times and pretty much save the ones which are extremely usefull. (And, although it seems odd that I would motivate myself to get better at Japanese to understand what most of the explanations are saying, I can't think of a better alternative.)

Toxico
5097th Post

"Re(9):Darkstalkers and the 12 Principles of A" , posted Wed 4 Aug 16:40:post reply

I would like to mention that it would be nice if you could put some thoughts about some of those Oscar winning Merry Melodies chapters. Similar reviews for some Tom and Jerry reviews couldn't hurt either.

quote:
quote:

That sounds amazing.

Speaking of art; my true reason for being here again is this.... I don't know if I mentioned this previously, and if I didn't, I deserve some type of punishment. 不幸だ , ジェイソンさん

obscene voodoo dance teleport

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

[this message was edited by Toxico on Wed 4 Aug 16:54]

Nobinobita
783th Post

"Re(5):Darkstalkers and the 12 Principles of A" , posted Sun 8 Aug 02:38:post reply

quote:

Well, as Lynch happens to be my favourite director and I've watched almost all of his films I could keep track of, I'd suggest you to begin with his most conventional films, such as Straight Story or The Elephant Man.

Thanks for the suggestions. I went ahead and dove into Eraserhead and followed it up with Wild at Heart. I loved both films.

Here are my impressions of Eraserhead (with spoilers--though it's really hard to *spoil* a Lynch film since knowing the plot is completely different from watching it unfold). Excuse me if I ramble on too long.

I LOVED IT. Like you and Ishmael mentioned, this movie is like peering into the unconscious mind. It was actually much more coherent than I expected. Also alot more ... gentle? I don't know if that's quite the right word, but for all it's weirdness and intense imagery, it never felt overly provocative. Everything seemed very earnest. Surreal films tend to be very political and very obvious about how you're supposed to feel. Eraserhead has a pervasive sense of anxiety to it, but it's not so forced. It's not a judgmental narrative. There's alot of breathing room to let the viewer collect their own thoughts and feelings on what's happening. It's a slow film, but I never felt like the shots lingered too long. They felt like natural pauses in conversation.

I can't pretend to understand everything that happened, but I did get the feeling that none of it was arbitrary, that all of it had a specific purpose. All the imagery had symbolic meaning or at least contributed greatly to the tone of the movie (often both). I feel like Eraserhead gives the viewer a fair chance at figuring out the imagery without outside help. Kind of like digesting a dream you've just had.

Even without you incepting the idea into my head, I think I would have immediately picked up on the strong theme of parenthood. The movie begins with a very long slow zoom into an egg. Inside a giant sperm worm pops out of the main characters head. He observes a decrepit (but not elderly) man toiling away in the dark pulling levers. The sperm disappears into a wet puddle.

This opening clearly establishes that this is going to be a movie about parenthood/reproduction. This is pretty much confirmed when Henry goes to his girlfriend's house and finds out she's pregnant. There are some INTENSELY DISTRESSING shots of her dog suckling it's young (the sound effects are amazing) and there's also alot of great interplay between all the members of the family. I'm going to now switch to bullet points, otherwise this post will go on forever:

-It was interesting to see 3 generations of women in the house. It was like peering into the future that was in store for Mary and possibly their child (if it turned out to be a girl). This is supported by the image of the mother placing the salad into the lap of the grandmother and moving her hands mechanically to toss the salad. Very cyclical.

-I think the film was very sympathetic towards its characters. I don't think Henry was just worried that the baby would make life more difficult. I think he had some sense that the baby would be born into a life of constant fear and dread, as those are the primary experiences in his own life. I think there's alot of cyclical imagery to support this, particularly towards the end where the baby pops out of Henry's own neck, knocking his head off and replacing it.

-There's a strong theme of legacy too. The movie is called Eraserhead. Henry's hair makes his head shaped like an eraser. This could suggest that his feet make the point of the pencil. The movie follows the trail that he leaves in the world.

-During the dream sequence where he's decapitated, his head is recovered and taken to a factory. They remove a cross section of his head/brains and feed it into a machine that produces loads of pencils. This is the sum of his life. The man at the factory takes one pencil, sharpens it, draws a line then erases it. He confirms that it works. The sum of Henry's life experiences lay in a pile of eraser shavings. They are sharply brushed aside.

-At the end of the film where it's implied that Henry is dying, there is a great shot of his face brightly lit as the eraser shavings blow by behind him.

-One of the last shots of the movie is an empty egg/planet, basically saying that life is ultimately desolate and lonely (or at least, that's how it felt to these characters).

-This movie had amazing sound design. It really captures the feeling of being so withdrawn and anxious that you notice the sound of air flowing in a room.

-The sounds ambiently reflected the feelings of the characters. They also sometimes gave the sense of greater machinations going on outside of the character's limited experiences.

-Eraserhead must have been a massive influence on the Silent Hill series. At least as much as Jacob's Ladder, maybe even more so.

-I really really enjoyed this movie. Thanks for encouraging me to watch it!

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by Nobinobita on Sun 8 Aug 02:45]

Nobinobita
784th Post

"Re(6):Darkstalkers and the 12 Principles of A" , posted Sun 8 Aug 02:52:post reply

My thoughts on Wild at Heart:

-Really enjoyed it!
-This is one of Nick Cage's best performances. Up there with Raising Arizona and Vampire's Kiss.
-I was completely won over by Sailor's burning Shonen spirit.
-Like Eraserhead, this movie also deals with parenthood. I wonder if this is a common theme in Lynch films?
-This movie also has one of Willem Dafoe's best performances. I have no idea how he managed to portray someone so FACEMETLINGLY SLEAZY as Bobby Peru.

www.art-eater.com

[this message was edited by Nobinobita on Sun 8 Aug 02:54]

Iggy
9165th Post

"Oichi in Basara3" , posted Fri 20 Aug 21:01post reply

There's no much to say on Basara 3. If you like the series, you'll probably like the game but regret its more serious stance. If you don't like/don't know the game, then keep on this way.

The reason I'm talking about it, though, and why I'm posting it in this particular thread, is because the newest version of Oichi is just fantastic. It gave me flashes of Vampire, and not only because of the Jedah hands creeping from the ground.

Basically, like the best Vampire characters, her personality and her personal story are best described in her actions and animations. She's gone totally insane, and it's, most of the time, the hands of shadows that move her around, sometimes very gently (to climb on a horse, the hands lift her on the saddle, where she stays motionless like a broken marionette), and at other times, more roughly (when she falls down, the hand actually grabs her and slams her on the ground).
A detail I hadn't noticed first: when she attacks, she moves at random, and the hands mimic her moves at a certain distance (and they are the ones dealing damage). But if you look at Oichi's animations instead of the hands, you'll notice she's actually moving like in the old game, i.e. as if she hadn't noticed her spear is not here anymore.

There's a lot of shortcoming in Basara in general, but Oichi alone in that game is a marvellous success in the best, good old-fashioned Capcom spirit.