karasu99
395th Post

user profileedit/delete message

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris
Wii: n/a

Silver Customer

"Let's talk about Red Earth/Warzard" , posted Sat 24 Jul 03:39post reply

I thought perhaps I would break the discussion out of the Random Thread so that we don't get it completely derailed with talk of a 14 year old arcade only game.

quote:
Hauzer will always be one of my favorite fighting game characters. I had some epic Hauzer vs Jedah shodowns with one of my best buds back when Capcom Fighting Jam came out. That game's a mess, but it did bring home some of the Warzard characters, and their level up and counter mechanics were alot of fun. I hope Warzard gets some sort of virtual console release someday.

Well, I am kindof wondering a few things: first, can anyone talk details of the original game? I don't know much aside from what wiki tells us, but what I have seen of it has been quite beautiful. It makes me wonder why Capcom never released it for Dreamcast, even though by the era of the Dreamcast it was already a little old.

Second, it appears that a Gamest Mook was produced for it, as well as an "All About". Does anyone have these? Are they worth seeking out?

Third, well, I am assuming that anyone at all wants to talk about this. Anyway, as my contribution, here are some videos of the game:

Intro
Leo Playthrough part 1
Mai-Ling Playthrough part 1
Kenji's fatalities

Replies:

Baines
258th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Let's talk about Red Earth/Warzard" , posted Sat 24 Jul 04:11post reply

quote:
It makes me wonder why Capcom never released it for Dreamcast, even though by the era of the Dreamcast it was already a little old.

I've only played it briefly emulated last year. I might have once seen an arcade cabinet, but never played it on one.

At a guess, I think it never saw a Dreamcast release because it wasn't a straight fighter. Red Earth was a throwback to the early days of fighters, before SF2 caused the boom in and the focus on versus mode. The idea of a fighting game where most of the characters were CPU-only became an abandoned genre in a world where every other fighter made everyone except some bosses playable, and even the bosses were often allowed. Having only four playable characters didn't help Versus mode either.

If it had been a regular fighter, it probably would have managed a console release.

Tai-Pan
473th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Let's talk about Red Earth/Warzard" , posted Sat 24 Jul 04:27:post reply

quote:
I thought perhaps I would break the discussion out of the Random Thread so that we don't get it completely derailed with talk of a 14 year old arcade only game.

14 years old?! What happened between my 10 miles walks to my local arcade to play this thing and today?
Excuse me I'll be crying over that corner.

(I'll post my experience with the game after I'm done contemplating my life)

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

[this message was edited by Tai-Pan on Sat 24 Jul 04:30]

Nekros
288th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Let's talk about Red Earth/Warzard" , posted Sat 24 Jul 17:04post reply

In my teen years I used to play a Japanese cabinet of Warzard at my local train station (they used to have 2-3 cabinets in the bar).
I found it very interesting in design and presentation but not much various. A DC version was technically possbile but not interesting as a single release if not tweak the cpu characters and make them playable in a VS mode.

Today, releasing the game on PSN/XLA is a good choice but the game is more suited for a compilation of Capcom arcade games or a bundle/bonus with something else (ie: a collection of SF CPS3 games).
A new arcade compilation for PSP featuring gems like Warzard, Wonder 3, Battle Circuit, Mars Matrix, Gigawing would be cool.

Grave
1340th Post

PSN: Drakee
XBL: Mikelson
Wii: n/a

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):Let's talk about Red Earth/Warzard" , posted Sat 24 Jul 17:19post reply

This game totally would need to be in a bundle or need huge mode additions to be worthwhile as a home version. There really isn't a lot to it. It's terribly visually impressive and there's a lot of cool 2D CPS3 tricks but it's one of those rare cases where I really do understand the decision not to bring it home.

Spoon
1993th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(3):Let's talk about Red Earth/Warzard" , posted Sun 25 Jul 06:38post reply

quote:
This game totally would need to be in a bundle or need huge mode additions to be worthwhile as a home version. There really isn't a lot to it. It's terribly visually impressive and there's a lot of cool 2D CPS3 tricks but it's one of those rare cases where I really do understand the decision not to bring it home.

It's kind of funny too, that Warzard was intended to have a lot of replay value for just single player gaming, something that most fighting games get criticized for.

Maybe they'll release it just to compete with Chaos Breaker in the fantasy-themed fighting game space!

Baines
259th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(4):Let's talk about Red Earth/Warzard" , posted Sun 25 Jul 16:05post reply

quote:
It's kind of funny too, that Warzard was intended to have a lot of replay value for just single player gaming, something that most fighting games get criticized for.

The problem is that they sacrificed the multiplayer aspect in order to focus on the single player game. I wouldn't be surprised if Capcom saw it as a true either/or decision, as it can be hard for a player to focus on a single player mode if other players are jumping in to fight, or machines keep two players on them all the time.

But there really didn't seem to be enough to the single player to make a full game of it. It was mostly just the one-player mode of any other fighting game with a few extra tricks and a much smaller character selection. And multiplayer was just simply crippled.

It just didn't seem like a good decision.

ZamIAm
1776th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(5):Let's talk about Red Earth/Warzard" , posted Sat 9 Oct 06:45post reply

I've never gotten to play Red Earth but from watching some videos it seems like the biggest problem isn't that it only has 4 playable characters. Rather, the main problem is that for all the upgradability, the game is way too short. Adding to that, it replays the same. Essentially, it actually needed filler, a comment I didn't think would need to be said about any product.

HAYATO
1003th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(6):Let's talk about Red Earth/Warzard" , posted Sat 9 Oct 07:31post reply

quote:
I've never gotten to play Red Earth but from watching some videos it seems like the biggest problem isn't that it only has 4 playable characters. Rather, the main problem is that for all the upgradability, the game is way too short. Adding to that, it replays the same. Essentially, it actually needed filler, a comment I didn't think would need to be said about any product.

I've always been an advocate of Warzard, for the sole reason that it's such a wonderful game, with powerful characters, an unique setting and full of potential. Too bad that both customers and Capcom were so unforgiving, and judged Warzard unworthy of a revision/ upgrade ŕ la "Second Impact", with an improved versus mode (by including playable monsters), a bigger boss roster and improved combo mechanics...

Given the "rehash and upgrade" trajectory Capcom followed (as always) with the rest of the titles developed for CPS-3, it was obvious that Warzard was meant for a second, even third installment, hadn't the first one been such an utter failure. There are many hints that support this theory : empty,named continents on the world map, sprite variations of the main characters (seen on the 1CC endings and staff roll)placed with no apparent purpose...

Anyways, we should consider ourselves fortunate, for the Warzard we know has enough virtues to stand out on its own as one of the most daring and innovative games of its time (and much prettier than Metamoquester, also!).

Shin ATproof
1259th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(7):Let's talk about Red Earth/Warzard" , posted Sat 9 Oct 17:17post reply

I miss this game. I wish Capcom did more with it...and a Console version would have been awesome and would still be awesome.

Maybe as a budget PSN/XBLA game.

It'd be awesome if this game got some rep in MvC3 or TvC2 if that ever comes out.

Fact: Everything with Norio Wakamoto and/or JAM Project is awesome.
Sí mon con langosta y camarón!