Ishmael
3817th Post

user profileedit/delete message

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"E3 Stuff" , posted Fri 11 Jun 00:04post reply

Mortal Kombat comes back in order to see how many times Sub Zero can get killed in one trailer.

New MvC3 poster.

Replies:

Count Hihihi
254th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):E3 Stuff" , posted Fri 11 Jun 00:08:post reply

quote:
Mortal Kombat comes back in order to see how many times Sub Zero can get killed in one trailer.

Oops!

NO

[this message was edited by Count Hihihi on Fri 11 Jun 14:42]

Iggy
9144th Post

"Re(2):E3 Stuff" , posted Fri 11 Jun 04:17post reply

It's not the movie, it's the new game (which surprisingly seems to go in the right direction as far as Mortal Kombat can go in the right direction).

A multiplayer Strider ripoff by SquarEnix.

HAYATO
975th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(3):E3 Stuff" , posted Fri 11 Jun 08:07post reply

quote:
It's not the movie, it's the new game (which surprisingly seems to go in the right direction as far as Mortal Kombat can go in the right direction).

As long as they keep aiming towards a MKII remake/upgrade, everything will be fine. I don't give a crap about the whole MK franchise but I must admit it's a classic one by now...

quote:

Oh, wow... I didn't expect it to be such a literal ripoff!! Will Capcom have enough guts to sue Squenix for plagiarism (as they did with Data East back in the times of Fighters' History)? We are accepting bets...

Megane
479th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):E3 Stuff" , posted Fri 11 Jun 09:20post reply

quote:

New MvC3 poster.

Rock Band 3! With a keyboard! And a string guitar! And up to seven simultaneous players!

Bohemian Rhapsody!

Not having owned one yet, I think I might get a set this time.

PSN:BlakeMaxwell3

Grave
1331th Post

PSN: Drakee
XBL: Mikelson

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(4):E3 Stuff" , posted Fri 11 Jun 09:25post reply

quote:
Oh, wow... I didn't expect it to be such a literal ripoff!! Will Capcom have enough guts to sue Squenix for plagiarism (as they did with Data East back in the times of Fighters' History)? We are accepting bets...

Kouichi Yotsui is directing so I have a good feeling it'll be more Strider than anything Capcom could shit out today.

Toxico
5024th Post

"Re(4):E3 Stuff" , posted Fri 11 Jun 09:33post reply

quote:

If Cannon Dancer / Osman could get away with it, then there is really nothing to fear anymore.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Update 21 as of 29/01/10 (Temporary mega upload link).

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 17 as of 02/06/10

Pollyanna
2935th Post

PSN: Lilly_Dopamine

"Re(5):E3 Stuff" , posted Fri 11 Jun 10:41post reply

quote:

If Cannon Dancer / Osman could get away with it, then there is really nothing to fear anymore.

DUDE. That looks really awesome! I know you weren't intending to do anyone any favors by posting this, but I'm glad you did!

The Square game looks like fun too, especially with a bunch of friends. I'm kind of hoping it's not an "unlimited continues" sort of thing, though. I can never win in one credit and I never know where to draw the line. I like the Ikarura "unlock more continues as you go" style.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Maou
2011th Post

"Re(5):E3 Stuff" , posted Fri 11 Jun 11:30post reply

quote:

This might be the most badass 90's game I didn't notice until the next century since...Alien Soldier!

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Spoon
1965th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(6):E3 Stuff" , posted Fri 11 Jun 12:14post reply

When I first saw some art images and screenshots of that Squenix game, I wasn't thinking 4P Strider so much as I was thinking 2D OZ.

HAYATO
976th Post

"Re(5):E3 Stuff" , posted Fri 11 Jun 18:00post reply

quote:

Kouichi Yotsui is directing so I have a good feeling it'll be more Strider than anything Capcom could shit out today.

Well, if the man behind Strider and Osman is in, Nechromachina's quality and fun are assured. Yotsui's "Lady Killer" was also very bizarre and fun to play, so I hope he hits the mark again...

Iggy
9145th Post

"Re(7):E3 Stuff" , posted Fri 11 Jun 19:38post reply

quote:
When I first saw some art images and screenshots of that Squenix game, I wasn't thinking 4P Strider so much as I was thinking 2D OZ.

THANK YOU. I didn't do the comparison because I thought nobody would get it.

OZ <3

badoor
133th Post

PSN: BadoorSNK
XBL: BadoorSNK

Regular Customer

"Re(8):E3 Stuff" , posted Fri 11 Jun 21:18post reply

It isn't E3 without silly countdown sites. Today's site comes from the master of the craft of hype build-ups and great disillusions.
Cooking KOJIMAma?!!

I guess this is MGS:Rising related with all the cutting and the blades and such. Would be really funny and awesome but almost impossible if it turned to be for a new OZ/Sword of Etheria.

Just a Person
1407th Post

"Re(1):E3 Stuff" , posted Fri 11 Jun 23:06post reply

quote:

New MvC3 poster.

Wow... I don't want to build false expectations to myself, but this Mortal Kombat trailer looks SO GOOD!! Sure, there's still room for improvement (mainly, please take out these air combos and people agitating their arms while they are being hit and while they fall), but it seems to be a huge improvement over MKvsDC (which also wasn't a bad game, IMO). And the tag-team system looks interesting.

Now, I hope they fulfill the promise to deliver a good plot, since the one in MK:Armageddon, which was supposed to resolve all the issues, ended up being a shallow mess.

As for MvC3, the art for Dante, Felicia, Deadpool and Caps looks nice! But I wonder if these are all the characters that will be shown at E3, since Seth Killian said we'd get tons of information about this game next week...

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

Gieflos
2th Post

PSN: pooplos-z
XBL: Pooplos_Z

New Customer

"Re(1):E3 Stuff" , posted Fri 11 Jun 23:43:post reply

It would be amusing to me if Shinkiro kept doing separate montage works for each handful of revelations. Is it me, or did he go for a younger look for Ryu in this game?

[this message was edited by Gieflos on Fri 11 Jun 23:44]

nobinobita
751th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(7):E3 Stuff" , posted Fri 11 Jun 23:45post reply

quote:

Dorothyyy!!!

OZ was too cool. I didn't realize it had a European release.

The art for Necromachina is pretty neat (even if the 3d execution is a bit bland). Game looks really fun, the group specials are an awesome idea.

The character designer is Roberto Ferrari, an Italian artist who has worked for Tatsunoko, Namco (did designs for Nina Death By Degrees) and now works for Squenix having previously designed characters for Song Summoner: The Unsung Heroes.

I'd love to learn more about him. It seems like in the last decade more and more foreign artists have been getting work in Japan. I'd love to hear about their experiences. There's still a prevalent notion that the Japanese manga/anime/gaming industry are real insular and won't hire non Japanese, but I wonder if it's more of a language (and artistic capability) barrier than anything else.

Ishmael
3818th Post

"Re(2):E3 Stuff" , posted Sat 12 Jun 00:08post reply

quote:
It would be amusing to me if Shinkiro kept doing separate montage works for each handful of revelations. Is it me, or did he go for a younger look for Ryu in this game?

Either that, or Shinkiro's recent attempts to put larger eyes on his characters is making them look younger. Oh well, as long as he doesn't go back to that period when he was using too much lens flare it's all good.

quote:
Even though it looks like Strider 2 without any of the beautifully insane designs I'm nevertheless already sold on this game. An off-brand Strider is better than no Strider at all.

Other news:

Itagaki -who is looking more and more like Patti Smith every day- will announce his new game soon.

Andriasang provides a translation of Capcom's MvC3 plans. Five gameplay videos plus Alpha?

Gieflos
2th Post

New Customer

"Re(3):E3 Stuff" , posted Sat 12 Jun 01:25post reply

I hope that isn't the final logo
More CG teases of MvC3. Dante and Deadpool seem like a good combo.

Just a Person
1408th Post

"Re(4):E3 Stuff" , posted Sat 12 Jun 01:57post reply

quote:
I hope that isn't the final logo
More CG teases of MvC3. Dante and Deadpool seem like a good combo.

Great trailer, but it's a pity that Captain America and Felicia weren't in it (...were they?).

What could be the fire in the sky, in the end of the trailer? A representation of both universes either fusing or destroying each other? Pyron? Jean Grey?

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

burning ranger
1656th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):E3 Stuff" , posted Sat 12 Jun 04:20post reply

[quotw]

New MvC3 poster.

More characters confirmed. Good to see DP finally confirmed.

As for new trailer? Meh. Call me back when there's real gameplay footage.

So much to do so little time...

whitesword
1682th Post

"Re(3):E3 Stuff" , posted Sat 12 Jun 05:29post reply

quote:

Andriasang provides a translation of Capcom's MvC3 plans. Five gameplay videos plus Alpha?

The plus Alpha will be shown only in Japan...

I really hope it's because they'll be revealing SPY-DAMA!

Dr Orochi
538th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):E3 Stuff" , posted Sat 12 Jun 05:31post reply

quote:

The plus Alpha will be shown only in Japan...

I really hope it's because they'll be revealing SPY-DAMA!

If this were to happen...it would be one of the single greatest things Capcom has ever done.

Gojira
2626th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
Wii: 80085

"Re(5):E3 Stuff" , posted Sat 12 Jun 06:24:post reply

Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage finally confirmed for a US release on Koei/Tecmo's list of E3 games.

So would that make this officially the first HnK game to actually make it to the US?

Edit: DoA5 is not on the list, but it did mysteriously show up on Gamespot's floor preview as being at the booth before being taken down. Kotaku saves us a screenshot.

shipoopi

[this message was edited by Gojira on Sat 12 Jun 06:45]

Dr Orochi
539th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):E3 Stuff" , posted Sat 12 Jun 06:51post reply

quote:

So would that make this officially the first HnK game to actually make it to the US?

Sweet. I thought this game looked interesting and I was very tempted to pick up a copy while in Japan last month.

As for HnK in the US there was the awesome NES game (simply Fist of the North Star) and the Gameboy game "Fist of the North Star: 10 Big Brawls for the King of Universe"

Toxico
5026th Post

"Re(6):E3 Stuff" , posted Sat 12 Jun 07:56post reply

quote:

....... I'm already dead

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

karasu99
376th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

Silver Customer

"Re(7):E3 Stuff" , posted Sat 12 Jun 08:14post reply

quote:

....... I'm already dead

Surely you're not forgetting the 100% forgetable Gameboy version, released way back in 1990?

Gojira
2627th Post

"Re(7):E3 Stuff" , posted Sat 12 Jun 08:45:post reply

I remember a NES game, but I couldn't recall if it was actually called FotNS or something else. Damn thing might as well be older than me.

quote:

....... I'm already dead

"intact" would be the implied language...

...though I guess that's not necessarily confirmed yet

shipoopi

[this message was edited by Gojira on Sat 12 Jun 08:48]

nobinobita
752th Post

"Re(8):E3 Stuff" , posted Sat 12 Jun 09:29post reply

quote:

....... I'm already dead

Surely you're not forgetting the 100% forgetable Gameboy version, released way back in 1990?

YES! I loved that game! It had one of the coolest ads. It's burned into my memory.

Don't forget about Last Battle for the Genesis. Kenshiro became Aarzak, you get to fight a green Hulk Hogan and enemies just flew off screen instead of exploding.

Luckily we had a Megadrive so the cart just reverted to the Japanese version on our system! Same thing happened with Spell Caster. Good tiiiimes.

Maou
2012th Post

"Re(9):E3 Stuff" , posted Sat 12 Jun 10:57post reply

quote:

YES! I loved that game! It had one of the coolest ads. It's burned into my memory.

Woaaah what's going on in this town
I didn't think Americans were allowed to see "Japanimation" in 1990 on their games??

Also: OZ. Wasn't that that gorgeously drawn 3D fifeld brawler? I can sort of remember that from what, four years ago?

badoor
135th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(9):E3 Stuff" , posted Sat 12 Jun 11:09:post reply

quote:

Electro Brain. Electro Brain. Electro Brain. The world today sadly cannot handle the sheer greatness of your logo. This reminded me about the sad new logo for Rare which now looks like a pharmaceutical company serving sickly aged people instead of a company that sell games that don't age very well.
Hey, I guess the new logo fits them nicely.

EDIT: New video of Not-Contra Hard Corp Uprising featuring the lucious 2D sprites of ASW:
Single-player
Same part but multiplayer

[this message was edited by badoor on Sat 12 Jun 11:58]

HAYATO
980th Post

"Re(9):E3 Stuff" , posted Sat 12 Jun 11:38post reply

quote:

....... I'm already dead

Don't forget about Last Battle for the Genesis. Kenshiro became Aarzak, you get to fight a green Hulk Hogan and enemies just flew off screen instead of exploding.

Luckily we had a Megadrive so the cart just reverted to the Japanese version on our system! Same thing happened with Spell Caster. Good tiiiimes.

What? The Last Battle was the first Megadrive game I got (besides Sonic 1, which came bundled with my console), and I never managed to play the uncensored game until the advent of the emulation era... Are you implying that a US cart, plugged in a PAL console resulted on the game running uncensored? That would've been awesome, had I known this as a kid!!!

Toxico
5027th Post

"Re(10):E3 Stuff" , posted Sat 12 Jun 11:43post reply

quote:

I didn't think Americans were allowed to see "Japanimation" in 1990 on their games??

Dunno if you remember, but Hokuto no Ken saw a first season release the US back in the day, and the OVAs and the movie where available on those "order only" anime providers, even the logo of the game is in the likeness of the logo of the other releases; so they probably were trying to hang to the "it's the same as in the TV" type of deal, a small little protection that sadly, other products couldn't use to cover themselves in.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Spoon
1967th Post

"Re(10):E3 Stuff" , posted Sat 12 Jun 12:03post reply

Though I'm pretty sure that the Sega Master System FotNS came after the NES one, which one got released in North America first?

The SMS FotNS was a really well-made game at its time. Though enemies blew up into sprite chunks with shocking smoothness (though they tended not to have the frames of swelling animation that the NES did), the boss fights featured extra-big sprites and finishing moves, and one of them even required a sequence of moves that you had to land in particular order! (cue horrible, horrible Wrath of the Black Manta memories...)

Sword of Etheria (i.e. OZ in EU) was surprisingly well localized. It had field speech in all the different locales, though pre-rendered cutscenes only had English VO. Also coming with built-in PAL/NTSC selector, it's worth your time to track down because you're actually going to be able to play it!

HAYATO
982th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):E3 Stuff" , posted Sat 12 Jun 12:06post reply

quote:

Dunno if you remember, but Hokuto no Ken saw a first season release the US back in the day, and the OVAs and the movie where available on those "order only" anime providers, even the logo of the game is in the likeness of the logo of the other releases; so they probably were trying to hang to the "it's the same as in the TV" type of deal, a small little protection that sadly, other products couldn't use to cover themselves in.

Well, you already showed what a poor excuse of a cover Last Battle/ Hokuto no Ken 2 for Megadive /Genesis got in US and EUR territories, instead of one of those cool animu flyers, like the GB version did. I always found the layout of this cover specially depressive and even a bit disturbing, with no apparent reason (a subconscious reaction to colors and composition, perhaps?)...

Seriously, one should erect a shrine (or dedicate a site, at least) to all those anonymous, stakhanovist artists who desecrated the original japanese boxart to bring us, poor westerners new covers, more suitable to our feeble minds and barbaric tastes...

Gieflos
3th Post

New Customer

"Re(10):E3 Stuff" , posted Sat 12 Jun 15:31post reply

EDIT: New video of Not-Contra Hard Corp Uprising featuring the lucious 2D sprites of ASW:
Single-player
Same part but multiplayer

Hmmm, I have to say, I am a fan of Contra 4 and Wayforward Tech., but after seeing the multiplayer video I've got high hopes! It almost seemed like a Treasure game. The fast run and gun, the deflect mechanic. Here's hoping for some good boss encounters!

Gojira
2628th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):E3 Stuff" , posted Sat 12 Jun 20:31:post reply

quote:
Though I'm pretty sure that the Sega Master System FotNS came after the NES one, which one got released in North America first?

That would most definitely be the NES one.
Whereas the SMS game never actually came to North America... or rather, became something else entirely.

Edit: Speaking of amazing box art

Double Edit: Oh yeah, also Itagaki revealed his new game. Or "epic masterpiece" if you want to use his brand of subtlety.

shipoopi

[this message was edited by Gojira on Sat 12 Jun 21:00]

whitesword
1683th Post

"Re(10):E3 Stuff" , posted Sat 12 Jun 21:38post reply

quote:

What? The Last Battle was the first Megadrive game I got (besides Sonic 1, which came bundled with my console), and I never managed to play the uncensored game until the advent of the emulation era... Are you implying that a US cart, plugged in a PAL console resulted on the game running uncensored? That would've been awesome, had I known this as a kid!!!

You'd probably have needed a Japanese Megadrive rather than a PAL one.

HAYATO
984th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):E3 Stuff" , posted Sun 13 Jun 09:07post reply

quote:

You'd probably have needed a Japanese Megadrive rather than a PAL one.

Oops, my fault!! I forgot that Megadrive was the original Japanese name for the system, so I assumed Nobi was talking about a PAL console. I think I should stop posting at 4:00 am...

nobinobita
753th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):E3 Stuff" , posted Sun 13 Jun 09:41post reply

quote:

Oops, my fault!! I forgot that Megadrive was the original Japanese name for the system, so I assumed Nobi was talking about a PAL console. I think I should stop posting at 4:00 am...

Yup. Had a really cool uncle from Hong Kong that got us a Japanese Megadrive a year before the Genesis came out. I remember that alot of the early Genesis games would revert to the Japanese version when played on a Japanese Megadrive. So Last Battle once again became Fist of the North Star, Spell Caster became Kujaku-Ou (this was a HUGE improvement) and I got to kill both Batman and Spiderman in Revenge of Shinobi. The first game I remember being region locked was Sega's X-men game.

Gieflos
4th Post

New Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):E3 Stuff" , posted Sun 13 Jun 17:55post reply

Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World
I expect more intestines from Paul Robertson.

Ishmael
3819th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):E3 Stuff" , posted Mon 14 Jun 23:04post reply

I know the latest HnK game isn't going to be perfect -it's an anime licensed game made by Koei for crying out loud- but I'm still looking forward to being able to have my favorite Tough Boy punch punks to pieces.

Yakuza 4 and the girls in Yakuza 4 confirmed for Western release. I love the series but I hate Sega so this one is producing mixed feelings in me.

Natal renamed Kinect but continues to be stupid looking. The footage of people hopping around their Brady Bunch living room mostly features activities of the not-Natal that have already been established. However, the ability to use the motion sensors to adjust the settings on movies or other controls on your television is new to me. Does this mean that every time I scratch my nose the movie I'm watching will go into random shuffle?

whitesword
1686th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):E3 Stuff" , posted Tue 15 Jun 05:52post reply

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-metal-gear/101272

MGS Rising looks like it'll offer players many interesting ways to get past enemies, and by "get past" I mean chop up.

GekigangerV
1650th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):E3 Stuff" , posted Tue 15 Jun 06:27:post reply

quote:

MGS Rising looks like it'll offer players many interesting ways to get past enemies, and by "get past" I mean chop up.

Destructible environments are also something I look forward to using on enemies. I remember Kojima hinting at it a little in the previews for MGS4, but nothing came of it.

I expect a Grey Fox and Cyborg Ninja 2 skin on secondary plays.

New X-Box 360 slim model is appealing. With Wifi now included I think I will pick one up and FINALLY get around to playing Dead Rising. But first I will have to see what the failure rate is gonna be.

[this message was edited by GekigangerV on Tue 15 Jun 06:28]

Gojira
2628th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):E3 Stuff" , posted Tue 15 Jun 07:43post reply

So according to this I guess we can safely say Harmony of Despair is officially an actual thing that Konami decided should be done.

Also EA's conference is over, with no real surprises. Crysis 2 uses the 3D, which apparently gives them creative license to tack slow-motion onto every action that can happen in a 3-minute reel. At least the spartakick button in Bulletstorm had some fun moments, more than I can say for the guns or that silly energy whip thingy. And hey, having big boobs apparently means you can block lightsabers with your bare hands.

shipoopi

badoor
136th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):Re(10):E3 Stuff" , posted Tue 15 Jun 07:51:post reply

quote:

It seems to have a mechanic similar to MGS2 Raiden where you slice with the right analog stick.

Watermelons must be a reference to the MGS4 trailer and the MGS2 demo with exploding melons and melting ice cubes.

As for Castlevania, it's sad but expected to see that Harmony of Despair would be bringing us despair this summer. At least we might get a new soundtrack with it, hopefully.

[this message was edited by badoor on Tue 15 Jun 07:56]

karasu99
377th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(8):Re(10):E3 Stuff" , posted Tue 15 Jun 10:44post reply

quote:
As for Castlevania, it's sad but expected to see that Harmony of Despair would be bringing us despair this summer. At least we might get a new soundtrack with it, hopefully.

Hey Badoor, you've gone and pointed out the one positive thing about all poor Castlevania releases! Thanks for helping put me in a good mood.

Spoon
1968th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):E3 Stuff" , posted Tue 15 Jun 15:20post reply

quote:

Watermelons must be a reference to the MGS4 trailer and the MGS2 demo with exploding melons and melting ice cubes.

Alternatively,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCLe2MF61a8

(maybe jump to like 3:40ish to get straight to the watermelon)

Nekros
268th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):E3 Stuff" , posted Tue 15 Jun 17:46post reply

quote:

This is beautiful, 16-bit madness!

Also, Child Of Eden.

The first time in my life I find interesting a game without a stick or pad. The concept stated by Mizoguchi himself is the synaesthesia, who is pretty well depitched by the game and its controls.
Too bad I have to buy a bunch of crap peripheals to play that.

KTallguy
1225th Post

PSN: Hunter-KT

"Re(6):Re(10):E3 Stuff" , posted Tue 15 Jun 22:47post reply

I think you can play Child of Eden on either HD console with a normal controller. Like Rez.

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

Digitalboy
690th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(6):Re(10):E3 Stuff" , posted Tue 15 Jun 23:48post reply

Holy cow! One of the better comic to movie to video game adaptations I have seen in awhile. XBL or PSN...hmmm.
quote:

This is beautiful, 16-bit madness!

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

Gojira
2629th Post

"Nintendo wins" , posted Wed 16 Jun 02:25post reply

Nintendo finally gives us an E3 full of everything.

New Zelda, new Kirby, new Donkey Kong Country, new Golden Sun, new Goldeneye, Epic Mickey, release dates (really close ones) for Metroid: Other M and Dragon Quest IX.

And the biggest news: a new Kid Icarus for the 3DS. Which even without being able to see it in 3D still looks incredible.

Sony hasn't even had their conference yet and they've already lost. Well you'll always have last year, guys.

shipoopi

GekigangerV
1650th Post

"3DS stuff." , posted Wed 16 Jun 02:25post reply

Just finished watching the Nintendo conference and I have to say I was impressed with the 3DS. Very interesting that they would entrust the launch of their new handheld to Kid Icarus considering his main stream appeal isn't as big as many other characters, but I am excited for a new Kid Icarus non-the-less. The 3D camera might bust this into a much bigger audience if it is half decent. They also announced that the MGS, RE and Batman franchises will be making appearances on the 3DS.

If I recall correctly, they implemented region locking with the DSi right? So unfortunately they will probably put that in the 3DS.

Iggy
9146th Post

"Re(1):Nintendo wins" , posted Wed 16 Jun 02:37post reply

Kid Icarus X Sakurai. Best E3 Ever. And I don't even care for the 3D.

sfried
531th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Nintendo wins" , posted Wed 16 Jun 02:46:post reply

quote:
Kid Icarus X Sakurai. Best E3 Ever. And I don't even care for the 3D.

Same here. "Project Sora"? It suddenly clicks.

What's this? From Pilotwings to Persona? They really brought the whole shibang.

Edit: Fixed the link to a mirror.

[this message was edited by sfried on Wed 16 Jun 03:00]

Spoon
1970th Post

"Re(1):3DS stuff." , posted Wed 16 Jun 03:09:post reply

Here's the source for the list that was posted, so it does seem official:

http://press.nintendo.com/E32010/3DS/FACT_E3_UpcomingGames_3DS.pdf

user - guest
pass - nintendo

SSF4 3D will make Seth's ultra the most wonderful of experiences.

[this message was edited by Spoon on Wed 16 Jun 03:10]

sfried
531th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):3DS stuff." , posted Wed 16 Jun 03:30post reply

3D SNAKE EAAAAATER stuff.

Ishmael
3820th Post

"Re(1):Nintendo wins" , posted Wed 16 Jun 04:30post reply

Before E3 I thought the 3DS was little more than a curiosity. After seeing what's coming out, however, I'm convinced it has some real potential. My only concern is that it may be yet another Nintendo device that's too clever for its own good. If third parties can't figure out what to do with the 2D world of the Wii and DS how are they going to handle the possibilities of this thing?

quote:

Sony hasn't even had their conference yet and they've already lost. Well you'll always have last year, guys.

No kidding, I have no idea what Sony is going to do. Nintendo came out swinging and MS had the weirdest live presentation that has been staged since that time a fertility ritual was performed during the halftime of the Super Bowl. Since Sony can neither dazzle or baffle as well as the previous two presentations is there a third route they can head down?

P.S. Don't shake the new 360, it has sharp teeth and it bites.

whitesword
1687th Post

"Re(2):Nintendo wins" , posted Wed 16 Jun 05:35post reply

quote:
Before E3 I thought the 3DS was little more than a curiosity. After seeing what's coming out, however, I'm convinced it has some real potential. My only concern is that it may be yet another Nintendo device that's too clever for its own good. If third parties can't figure out what to do with the 2D world of the Wii and DS how are they going to handle the possibilities of this thing?

The 3D is just a visual trick, there's not much to figure out. I fully expect most decent developers to include a non-3D mode in their games for people who don't care about gimmicks.

sfried
532th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):Nintendo wins" , posted Wed 16 Jun 05:37post reply

quote:
The 3D is just a visual trick, there's not much to figure out. I fully expect most decent developers to include a non-3D mode in their games for people who don't care about gimmicks.

Well, the real aspects about the 3DS is that it can somehow download stuff even while turned off (meaning "bark/tag mode" is now a standard feature on all games), but I wonder how much battery it consumes.

Amakusa
848th Post

"Re(1):Nintendo wins" , posted Wed 16 Jun 05:55post reply

quote:
Nintendo finally gives us an E3 full of everything.

New Zelda, new Kirby, new Donkey Kong Country, new Golden Sun, new Goldeneye, Epic Mickey, release dates (really close ones) for Metroid: Other M and Dragon Quest IX.

And the biggest news: a new Kid Icarus for the 3DS. Which even without being able to see it in 3D still looks incredible.

Zelda didn't do it for me, but Donkey Kong Country did. I never realized how much I missed that game until after I watched the teaser.

And Goldeneye was a surprise.

Looking forward to the new Kid Icarus, too. It really has been a long time coming.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

Professor
2671th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Nintendo wins" , posted Wed 16 Jun 06:43post reply

Results are in for the Pre-E3 Conferences. Make your pick.
Did I forget to mention that I'm married to Microsoft now?
I love Nintendo and I want its babies. Preferbly in 3D.
My feeling towards Sony is true and I'm getting a tatoo.
I'm depressed, nothing made me happy, and I want a hug.

Pollyanna
2940th Post

"Re(3):Nintendo wins" , posted Wed 16 Jun 07:00post reply

The future of the 3DS is obvious. It will have a bunch of shoddy pseudo sequels to popular franchises that will poorly implement the technology. It will have a few actual sequels that would be better off on other systems and ignore the technology completely (because it's not "a part" of the series). It will have a few games (probably from Nintendo)that use the technology well and it will have a few truly excellent games that may or may not use the technology. Also, there will be piles and piles of utter garbage.

The thing that gets me is that the system makes the Wii look even less attractive to me than it already does.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

sfried
534th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):Nintendo wins" , posted Wed 16 Jun 07:10:post reply

quote:
The thing that gets me is that the system makes the Wii look even less attractive to me than it already does.

It's kinda sad, yeah.

But I guess that means horray for handhelds.

But I take it Polly that you didn't like Strange Journey or Infinite Space.

[this message was edited by sfried on Wed 16 Jun 07:22]

whitesword
1690th Post

"Re(5):Nintendo wins" , posted Wed 16 Jun 10:04post reply

3D "depth slider" can reduce (or even disable) 3D effects in games
http://kotaku.com/5564518/check-out-the-3ds-hardware-specs

Well, that settles that.

sfried
534th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):Nintendo wins" , posted Wed 16 Jun 10:29post reply

quote:
Haven't been keeping up with the announcements have you?

Burning Ranger
1660th Post

"Re(6):Nintendo wins" , posted Wed 16 Jun 10:45post reply

quote:

Well, that settles that.

Dear Nintendo,

Please re-implement Gameboy Advance compatibility to the 3DS. I would like to play Metroid Zero Mission.

Also, please reimplement original Gameboy compatibility. I would really like to play Metroid 2 and Super Mario Land 2 again.

If you do this, it will be more likely I will buy your machine.

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Little Burning Ranger

So much to do so little time...

sfried
535th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(7):Nintendo wins" , posted Wed 16 Jun 11:47post reply

quote:
Dear Nintendo,

Please re-implement Gameboy Advance compatibility to the 3DS. I would like to play Metroid Zero Mission.

Also, please reimplement original Gameboy compatibility. I would really like to play Metroid 2 and Super Mario Land 2 again.

If you do this, it will be more likely I will buy your machine.

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Little Burning Ranger

Be carefull what you wish for. Before you know it: Virtual Console 3DS - Now includes Game Boy catalog.

Maou
2016th Post

"Re(8):Nintendo wins" , posted Wed 16 Jun 12:31post reply

quote:

Be carefull what you wish for. Before you know it: Virtual Console 3DS - Now includes Game Boy catalog.

Perhaps now would be an appropriate system to request the Virtual Boy on Virtual Console as well. It's only fair.

Spoon
1970th Post

"Re(9):Nintendo wins" , posted Wed 16 Jun 12:56post reply

quote:

Perhaps now would be an appropriate system to request the Virtual Boy on Virtual Console as well. It's only fair.

Virtual Boy: only on 3DS

sfried
536th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(10):Nintendo wins" , posted Wed 16 Jun 13:03post reply

quote:
Virtual Boy: only on 3DS

If they're gonna do that, might as well make them full remakes in that case. Don't want to be playing Wario Land in red.

So Ocarina remake is official. Can the fans shut up now? (Majora's Mask was better anyways)

Pollyanna
2944th Post

"Re(5):Nintendo wins" , posted Wed 16 Jun 19:10:post reply

Huuuuge letdown from Sony. I guess it might've made someone excited...like...Sly Cooper fans, maybe?

It's fine if their motion wand isn't anything revolutionary, but it's not fine that it has next to no software support. If you buy that thing, you're either looking for an excuse to spend money, or shelling out for hope alone. Their PSN premium service is similarly "hope powered" in its vague promises. It feels like a transparent stab for money rather than a new service. "We're not getting screwed over by Valve" isn't bad news, but only moves them into "equal" status...and how many years have they shown GT5 at shows? Like...5?

quote:

But I take it Polly that you didn't like Strange Journey or Infinite Space.

I liked Strange Journey, but it's hard for me to judge how much. If I look at it as a DS SMT offshoot, it's amazing, but as a true sequel, it's disappointing. It stacks up well against more recent Megaten games...though I don't think there's been a truly excellent one since SMT3.

The fights in Infinite Space looked mind-numbingly slow (why do I need to watch all these animations with all these numbers!?), so I actually haven't played it. Am I really missing out?

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

[this message was edited by Pollyanna on Wed 16 Jun 19:57]

Spoon
1971th Post

"Re(6):Nintendo wins" , posted Thu 17 Jun 00:36post reply

quote:

The fights in Infinite Space looked mind-numbingly slow (why do I need to watch all these animations with all these numbers!?), so I actually haven't played it. Am I really missing out?

Almost every animation in the game is skippable/fast-forwardable.

The ship customization is kind of neat; think Navi Customizer in Mega Man Battle Network if you played that.

The one thing that the game is severely lacking is a quest log/journal. I have no idea why it doesn't have it.

Just a Person
1412th Post

"Re(2):Nintendo wins" , posted Thu 17 Jun 06:09post reply

quote:
Zelda didn't do it for me, but Donkey Kong Country did. I never realized how much I missed that game until after I watched the teaser.

I miss it too!! But I wish other Kongs would be playable besides DK and Diddy... Not necessarily a lot of Kongs, but come on, at least Dixie deserved a spot in this game...

Evenor
726th Post

"Re(3):Nintendo wins" , posted Thu 17 Jun 08:26post reply

Silent Hill 8?!

Supposedly Daniel Licht is composing the music.

Also Kirby's Epic Yarn looks fantastic!

drink from me and live forever

Maou
2018th Post

"3DS" , posted Thu 17 Jun 11:23:post reply

3DS. I must have it. I haven't been excited about a new system as such (as opposed to waiting around until the game library for a given system gets good) since...the Super Famicom. All the power of PSP without the stupidity of owning...a PSP? And that blue coloring is fantastic. Even if I'm mostly just stoked to buy a blue metallic DS with a nice analog pad, I'm also really keen on the idea of finally getting around to playing Metal Gear Solid 3, too.

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 17 Jun 11:27]

KTallguy
1226th Post

PSN: Hunter-KT

"Re(1):3DS" , posted Thu 17 Jun 12:07post reply

A lot of the better looking games were showcased after the conferences, at least for me.

Vanquish looks great, I like the new Assassin's Creed, I like the new Populous remake (project dust), and Rising looks promising.

And this game called Journey looks like a sleeper: http://www.1up.com/do/slideshow?pager.offset=2&mt=0&cId=3174231&mId=3823657

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

badoor
136th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):3DS" , posted Thu 17 Jun 23:39post reply

quote:
I'm also really keen on the idea of finally getting around to playing Metal Gear Solid 3, too.

That might just be a sample tech demo for the 3DS (It's called the Naked SAMPLE) which is expected with new systems. I'm hoping for a remake of MG1 for the MSX (MG2:SS was kind of remade to MGS) with a top-down look and punchable walls.

karasu99
378th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):3DS" , posted Fri 18 Jun 01:41post reply

Eh, for some reason I'm just not getting very excited about the 3DS. Or at least not as excited as I was for something like the original DS.

I don't know, maybe it is something about the 3D, which has been feeling very gimmicky to me in general lately, with all the 3D television business and all. Plus someone's mention above about territorial lockout (really? Is it true that the DSi has region locks?) put a bad taste in my mouth. I thought we had gotten past that on handhelds, with an entire generation of them being region-free. Or maybe it is just that I am in a foul mood of late.

I like that it will have an analog pad though! There's that at least! See? I got excited about something to do with the 3DS! Ok, and I also like the rounded top edges of the clamshell-- but I am really reaching now.

Just a Person
1413th Post

"Re(4):Nintendo wins" , posted Fri 18 Jun 01:56post reply

quote:
Silent Hill 8?!

Supposedly Daniel Licht is composing the music.

8?? Is Konami counting Origins and Shattered Memories as Silent Hill 6 and 7?

Mokona
483th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):3DS" , posted Fri 18 Jun 02:03:post reply

quote:
Eh, for some reason I'm just not getting very excited about the 3DS. Or at least not as excited as I was for something like the original DS.

I have to say, whether you're interested in the 3D aspect of it or not, they made sure there was something to be impressed about.

Most people seem to forget some pretty cool features, like the fact that it's got motion sensors as well.

I can't wait to try the 3D camera; that seems ultra cool!

Some of the games they announced got me stoked as well (potential new SMT and persona!).

Of course, it's fully backwards compatible with all my DS games. I'm still using my Mario Kart bundle DS-phat, and I haven't felt the urge to upgrade until now.

The only thing that will make me wait to buy it on day 1 is the price...

Blah!

[this message was edited by Mokona on Fri 18 Jun 02:03]

whitesword
1693th Post

"Re(3):3DS" , posted Fri 18 Jun 03:15post reply

quote:
Plus someone's mention above about territorial lockout (really? Is it true that the DSi has region locks?) put a bad taste in my mouth.

Region-locking would be extremely bullshit, especially since an SRW game was listed among in-development 3DS titles.

Gieflos
5th Post

New Customer

"Re(4):3DS" , posted Fri 18 Jun 03:49post reply

quote:
Region-locking would be extremely bullshit, especially since an SRW game was listed among in-development 3DS titles.

I remember the DSi was supposed to be region-locked but I tried out a copy of Jump Superstars and it worked just fine. I really don't understand why region-locking is an issue these days.

Ishmael
3822th Post

"Re(3):3DS" , posted Fri 18 Jun 04:26post reply

quote:
Vanquish looks great, I like the new Assassin's Creed, I like the new Populous remake (project dust), and Rising looks promising.

And this game called Journey looks like a sleeper: http://www.1up.com/do/slideshow?pager.offset=2&mt=0&cId=3174231&mId=3823657

Vanquish really looks like it is coming together. Even the stupid idea of making the character smoke has a certain odd charm.

Journey has a great design. After having read a summary of the game I still have no idea how the heck you are supposed to play it but, again, it sure is pretty.

quote:
True, the 3DS is something of a gimmick but it's the efficiency of the thing that intrigues me. All the other home 3D systems I've seen require an enormous investment in hardware in order to get any sort of results. This doesn't strike me as much of a trick since most anything can work if you throw enough money at it. But the 3DS is a hand-held device that can achive the illusion of depth of field if you stare at it in the correctly cock-eyed manner. Although I will be the first to admit that I am easily impressed I nevertheless find that to be an amazing bit of engineering trickery. It's not the specs or the initial releases that pulled me in, it's the potential of the 3DS that excites me.

whitesword
1695th Post

"Re(5):3DS" , posted Fri 18 Jun 04:54:post reply

quote:

I remember the DSi was supposed to be region-locked but I tried out a copy of Jump Superstars and it worked just fine. I really don't understand why region-locking is an issue these days.

Only DSi exclusive/enhanced games are region-locked, and the latter only when played on a DSi.

[this message was edited by whitesword on Fri 18 Jun 07:47]

karasu99
379th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(5):3DS" , posted Fri 18 Jun 05:04post reply

quote:

Of course my comment about this was almost exclusively based on a single comment someone posted here-- none of the official specs that I have seen say a thing about region locking, so all of my concern may be for naught.

quote:
True, the 3DS is something of a gimmick but it's the efficiency of the thing that intrigues me. All the other home 3D systems I've seen require an enormous investment in hardware in order to get any sort of results. This doesn't strike me as much of a trick since most anything can work if you throw enough money at it. But the 3DS is a hand-held device that can achive the illusion of depth of field if you stare at it in the correctly cock-eyed manner. Although I will be the first to admit that I am easily impressed I nevertheless find that to be an amazing bit of engineering trickery. It's not the specs or the initial releases that pulled me in, it's the potential of the 3DS that excites me.

I don't know-- I suppose I was on board with Nintendo when they had the guts to try out a touchscreen enabled handheld game system and a motion-sensitive home console. Maybe that's why 3D doesn't feel all that 'big' to me. Undoubtedly what will happen is some games will really impress me along the way, and some games will underwhelm me with lots of 'hey look, 3d!' functionality, just like the early days of touchscreen games on the DS. Maybe it's because I have it in my head that something like 90% of the 3D movie and effects I've seen over the years have been 'hey look, 3d!' effects.

Then, as I write this, I'm thinking of like a dozen ways that they could use 3D in the games in non-gratuitous ways. Let's cross our fingers that I'm not the only one thinking that!

sfried
537th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):3DS" , posted Fri 18 Jun 10:33post reply

quote:

Of course my comment about this was almost exclusively based on a single comment someone posted here-- none of the official specs that I have seen say a thing about region locking, so all of my concern may be for naught.

I don't know-- I suppose I was on board with Nintendo when they had the guts to try out a touchscreen enabled handheld game system and a motion-sensitive home console. Maybe that's why 3D doesn't feel all that 'big' to me. Undoubtedly what will happen is some games will really impress me along the way, and some games will underwhelm me with lots of 'h

-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --
You do know there is a slider on the 3DS to turn it all the way off, right?

From what I know, the system is utilizing some parallax barrier technology made by Sharp and that you can get multiple viewing angles of the 3D effect so you don't need to view it from a cock-eyed perspective. Certainly there will be a sweet spot, but it looks like not many people had problems viewing the effect at all.

I'm waiting to hear more developers utilize the accelerometer/gyroscope/two cameras for tracking and wierd augmented reality stuff

Ishmael
3823th Post

"Re(7):3DS" , posted Fri 18 Jun 22:58post reply

Two questions about games from the E3 glut that I might have missed:

1. Was KoFXIII shown at E3?

2. Does anyone have any more information about El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron? This game looks like it has something interesting going on but until someone directed my attention to its existence yesterday I had managed to miss any and all previous news about this title.

chazumaru
704th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(8):3DS" , posted Fri 18 Jun 23:36post reply

quote:

2. Does anyone have any more information about El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron? This game looks like it has something interesting going on but until someone directed my attention to its existence yesterday I had managed to miss any and all previous news about this title.

Financed by Ignition (Indian publisher).
Directed by a former Capcom/Clover artist.
Features Laura as the main protagonist.

Check here for a translation of the first Famitsu article.

IT'S THE BLACK PUDDING!

Gieflos
6th Post

New Customer

"Re(6):3DS" , posted Sat 19 Jun 01:13post reply

quote:
DSi exclusive/enhanced games

Haha, I totally forgot these existed!

Professor
2674th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(7):3DS" , posted Sun 20 Jun 10:09:post reply

quote:
True, the 3DS is something of a gimmick but it's the efficiency of the thing that intrigues me. All the other home 3D systems I've seen require an enormous investment in hardware in order to get any sort of results. This doesn't strike me as much of a trick since most anything can work if you throw enough money at it. But the 3DS is a hand-held device that can achive the illusion of depth of field if you stare at it in the correctly cock-eyed manner. Although I will be the first to admit that I am easily impressed I nevertheless find that to be an amazing bit of engineering trickery.

As Sfried slightly mentioned, the 3DS uses a Parallax Barrier method (as opposed to the Eclipse method used with glasses for large screens) to show its 3D. In a nutshell, it works kind of like this, which is why the horizontal resolution halves in 3D mode if you look at the 3DS' spec sheet. In the above example, the display's surface/filter is simply a curved lens to explain the method easily, but it involves more advanced technology nowadays.

The technology has been widely explored by the mobile market in Japan for the past few years. Sharp is known as one of the leading companies in the 3D field and the company released 3d-glassless cell phones with a 2D/3D switch as far back as 2002, though the technology was still young back then and it strongly relied on its sweet spot. In recent years, there was a cell phone out by Hitachi last year, which impressively runs in 3D even when viewed sideways.

It was assumed that Nintendo could be using Sharp's new touch-screen IPS display that was announced in April, but E3 revealed that the guesses were wrong (or at least a modified version). Also to note, Sharp announced a 3D camera module for mobile devices around the same time when Nintendo mentioned that it's working on a new 3D handheld, though the figures on Sharp's spec sheet is a bit higher at 720p.

[this message was edited by Professor on Sun 20 Jun 13:37]

Ishmael
3824th Post

"Re(8):3DS" , posted Tue 22 Jun 01:45post reply

Now that E3 has come and gone I can't help but wonder if the game industry would have been better off if the expo had actually died when it was a sputtering mess a few years back. Would companies be better off if they didn't have to worry about yet another deadline such as E3? At least this year I got to learn a great deal about 3D hand-held technology so that's something.

E3 also gave these guys a chance to eat at In-N-Out Burger and shop at Game Dude. The activities of this group of Japanese journalists while visiting LA is remarkably similar to my activities when I visited LA.

Maou
2019th Post

"Re(9):3DS" , posted Tue 22 Jun 08:25:post reply

quote:
E3 also gave these guys a chance to eat at In-N-Out Burger and shop at Game Dude

Heheheh. I guess that about covers it. Critical failure when they missed Fatburger, though.

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 22 Jun 08:31]

sfried
538th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(10):3DS" , posted Tue 22 Jun 13:40post reply

Resident Evil: Revelations trailer that is claimed to be running in real-time.

Only thing that excites me (now) is flooding segment (hopefully). And more Hunk.

badoor
137th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):3DS" , posted Wed 23 Jun 01:04post reply

quote:
Resident Evil: Revelations trailer that is claimed to be running in real-time.

Only thing that excites me (now) is flooding segment (hopefully). And more Hunk.

So..Resident Evil Gaiden 2 then.
But in all honesty, from the way INAFKING was talking during the 3DS developers video, the cliched "trapped in a ship" horror-genre location, the classic brunette Jill + Chris (still on roids though) team-up and the fact that shooters aren't very handleable on the DS (maybe 3DS too!) leads me to my hypothesis/wish that RE:Revelations might be more of the classic horror adventure game rather than the shooter the recent RE games became.

In other news,HOLY FORSHADOWING!, NINTENDO. This blew my mind. Its just as crazy as the iPad

Amakusa
849th Post

"Re(9):3DS" , posted Wed 23 Jun 05:54post reply

quote:

E3 also gave these guys a chance to eat at In-N-Out Burger and shop at Game Dude. The activities of this group of Japanese journalists while visiting LA is remarkably similar to my activities when I visited LA.

Game Dude is still there, huh. I haven't been there in years.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."