Discuss.

Replies:

Tai-Pan
463th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Lost Planet 2" , posted Fri 14 May 04:11post reply

I like it

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

nobinobita
746th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(2):Lost Planet 2" , posted Fri 14 May 04:24post reply

quote:
I like it

Me too. I have a much easier time with the controls in Lost Planet than other shooters.

Pollyanna
2917th Post

PSN: Lilly_Dopamine
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):Lost Planet 2" , posted Fri 14 May 04:34post reply

Not sure yet. At first, my opinion was "very pretty, mostly fun with great, cinematic boss fights". During 3-3, my opinion was "Capcom has no business making games if they're going to pull shit like this." Now that I've finished 3-3, and played a bit of VS, I'm in the "let's see how the rest of the game goes" phase.

Complaints:
*Crawling and rolling is awkward and difficult.
*If I am looking out a window and aiming a gun, I expect to shoot through the window, not into the wall.
*Grenades are evidently made out of rubber.
*I am afraid to use the grappling hook because there's always a chance it will completely and inexplicably fail me.

Good Things:
*Pretty. Nice variety of environments.
*Sometimes the plot is so poor that it's funny.
*The boss battles have a natural cinematic feel to them without being slowed down by actual cinemas.
*Lots of options and everything is easy to access.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Spoon
1954th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(3):Lost Planet 2" , posted Fri 14 May 05:56post reply

quote:
I have a much easier time with the controls in Lost Planet than other shooters.

Having not actually played it yet, so I'm interested to hear about this. Every one I know who has played it has been quite accustomed to the standard dual stick control scheme, and complained bitterly about the control scheme in LP2.

What to you about the controls makes them easier to use?

Ishmael
3794th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b

"Re(3):Lost Planet 2" , posted Sat 15 May 01:15post reply

quote:
Not sure yet. At first, my opinion was "very pretty, mostly fun with great, cinematic boss fights". During 3-3, my opinion was "Capcom has no business making games if they're going to pull shit like this." Now that I've finished 3-3, and played a bit of VS, I'm in the "let's see how the rest of the game goes" phase.

I tried to play the already infamous 3-3 last night and I was amazed. Here I thought nothing was going to challenge Bayonetta for the honor of having the worst level designs of 2010.

Right now I'm of two minds about LP2. There's a lot of decisions that were made about the game's presentation and flow that are questionable. If someone didn't like the game because of these rough edges I could certainly understand their choice. But in spite of those problems I find myself enjoying LP2. Perhaps I'm simply in the mood to shoot at some dim AI grunts and some incredibly hearty animals.

I'm also enjoying how the world of the game is detailed and vague at the same time. Who are all these various factions and why must I kill them? The lack of an overriding narrative makes all the violence in the game feel like some sort of tragic joke. Is anything being accomplished by all this death and destruction? The nameless and faceless protagonists and the constant faction switching that the campaign mode enforces makes the folly of my violent actions even more pronounced.

Even the monster fights feature this sense of ambivalence. While the fight against a giant beast that looks like it's straight out of Nausicca is thrilling the game never stops reminding you about the enviornmental damage the killing of these animals is causing. Although everyone in the game seems aware of what they are doing they also shrug it off as a spiral that is too large for them to escape from. At the moment LP2 seems to be trying to go down the same route of MGS by trying to enjoy and condemn its action at the same time. This duel message makes the game feel much more like a Japanese title to me than anything to do with the controls or on-line interactions.

Mosquiton
1764th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(4):Lost Planet 2" , posted Sat 22 May 08:25post reply

quote:

Right now I'm of two minds about LP2. There's a lot of decisions that were made about the game's presentation and flow that are questionable. If someone didn't like the game because of these rough edges I could certainly understand their choice. But in spite of those problems I find myself enjoying LP2. Perhaps I'm simply in the mood to shoot at some dim AI grunts and some incredibly hearty animals.

I'm also enjoying how the world of the game is detailed and vague at the same time. Who are all these various factions and why must I kill them? The lack of an overriding narrative makes all the violence in the game feel like some sort of tragic joke. Is anything being accomplished by all this death and destruction? The nameless and faceless protagonists and the constant faction switching that the campaign mode enforces makes the folly of my violent actions even more pronounced.

Good points. You are indeed a sharp guy.

/ / /

Ishmael
3801th Post

"Re(5):Lost Planet 2" , posted Sun 23 May 06:19post reply

quote:
Good points. You are indeed a sharp guy.

Shh, don't tell anyone.

Pollyanna
2921th Post

"Re(6):Lost Planet 2" , posted Sun 23 May 07:52post reply

Real fast...how do abilities work in online versus? Does the "automatically equipped" one eat up a slot regardless? Offline, I use melee 2 (like all awesome people), but online, I'm not getting the effect. If I equip melee 1 (since it only eats up one slot) will that work?

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Grave
1327th Post

PSN: Drakee
XBL: Mikelson

Red Carpet Executive Member

"HERE COMES DAREDEVIL" , posted Wed 2 Jun 21:57post reply

Thanks to an awesome friend I have a copy of this game on the way. Despite how hot it makes my room I think I'll be moving my PS3 back in here immediately when it arrives. I look forward to hunting bugs with all of you!

Ishmael
3809th Post

"Re(1):HERE COMES DAREDEVIL" , posted Wed 2 Jun 22:09post reply

quote:
Thanks to an awesome friend I have a copy of this game on the way. Despite how hot it makes my room I think I'll be moving my PS3 back in here immediately when it arrives. I look forward to hunting bugs with all of you!

And here I thought I was going to be the only American out there playing this game!

Grave
1331th Post

PSN: Drakee
XBL: Mikelson

Red Carpet Executive Member

"OPINIONS" , posted Wed 9 Jun 07:31:post reply

Since I'm most of the way done with the main campaign now, it is time for some opinions. I have lots of them!

The reviews have been entirely too hard on the game's basic controls. Yes, it's a little bit different from western shooters. Yes, it's stupid that we have to use L1 and R1 to fire. Still, none of the control issues I've had have been dealbreakers. It's funny, because within the confines of the game's scenarios I find it totally acceptable and functional, but the obstacle courses are so terrible that it makes me question if the control's even adequate at all. Still, been doing fine in the campaign except for a couple of nasty grappling hook accidents on the train levels.

The AI for single player is absolutely pathetic. I've considered disabling most or all of them and seeing if the game would be more enjoyable. Those assholes will stand around a data post and stare at it until I get out of my VS, and then when I go to activate it they'll stand around my VS like they're thinking about getting in and if one ever tries he can kiss that VS goodbye because I WILL find a way to blow it up, even with friendly fire off.

My most serious problem with the game so far:
quote:
*If I am looking out a window and aiming a gun, I expect to shoot through the window, not into the wall.
*Grenades are evidently made out of rubber.

THIS IS RIDICULOUS. I'm glad that this game works 90% of the time without a cover system because I think the game works better without it. But holy shit, give me some way to press against a wall so I can tell the game I'm going to be looking around corners now. So many clear shots totally wasted on edges of walls or windows that aren't actually in my way. And forget trying to throw grenades from behind cover. Have fun blowing yourself up. Ridiculous. I wouldn't have a problem with their bouncy nature if not for the wall problem.

And as for that train...
quote:

quote:
I tried to play the already infamous 3-3 last night and I was amazed. Here I thought nothing was going to challenge Bayonetta for the honor of having the worst level designs of 2010.

Okay, so when I played 3-3 I had a little bit of warning about what was coming. I played it co-op with a single friend and 2 crappy AI dudes. As the mission begins he told me what was going down. Granted, I was still confused but once we got the pacing of the fight down it went pretty smoothly and was a great deal of fun. Being able to get down from the turret in a hurry requires pretty good grasp of the game's controls and I was pretty nervous about jumping down but I don't think either of us died once. I found myself actually wanting more levels like that, where all players have to fill in whatever role is needed on a vehicle at the time. Guess I'm the only one.

All in all, the game has a lot of problems but I think the good totally outweighs the bad. The end of the demo with the salamander akrid kind of had me worried that the game blew its load there and the rest wouldn't be able to live up to it, but I've loved almost all of it. There have been a lot of crazy action movie moments and they've all been in gameplay! That says a lot right there. The throwaway cutscenes and plot don't really interest me and the random QTEs just make me scratch my head though.

I haven't gotten into any multiplayer vs. action yet but the campaign has been a blast so far and I still have the 5th and 6th sections to go, I think? Not sure how long it goes. Regardless, I expect to be playing this one for some time. It's good!

edit: Oh! Oh! And you know what else I hate? YOU CAN'T THROW GRENADES WHEN YOU'RE TAKING FIRE. This is ridiculous because you can't throw them from cover either unless you want them to bounce back on top of you. Standing there tapping the trigger and getting your animation interrupted time after time makes me wonder if it's worth using grenades at all.

[this message was edited by Grave on Wed 9 Jun 14:28]

Pollyanna
2932th Post

"Re(1):OPINIONS" , posted Wed 9 Jun 18:24post reply

quote:
grenades

I find grenade 2 to be much more effective. It detonates much later, so you can kind of...lob it out and then shoot it. Although each one is a terror in its own way, now that I've experienced the variety of grenades (and equipped the least offensive ones), they don't bother me so much.

quote:
I found myself actually wanting more levels like that, where all players have to fill in whatever role is needed on a vehicle at the time. Guess I'm the only one.

If I had someone to help me through the scenario, or if the game would've EXPLAINED ITSELF, then I probably would've enjoyed it. I think the concept is good, but the execution is bad.

quote:
multiplayer vs. action

This has become a world of pain for me. I bothered unlocking every damned...everything in the game. I had a few really nice matches online when the game first came out, but now it's completely overrun with Japanese people. I don't have any problem with how they play or whatever, but there is just no way to have a consistently lag-free experience against people on the other side of the world.

Occasionally I'll have a nice game, but more often than not I'll have dead people walking around, spontaneous deaths and people who appeared to have just jumped off a cliff, manifest suddenly in my face, shooting the crap out of me. I had a fantastic encounter where I slashed someone (I use the gun sword) at least 15 times to no avail. He was shooting holes straight through me, too.

If Capcom would prioritize the matching by connection, that would be much better. I can see playing with Japanese players when no one closer is available, but not 95% Japanese EVERY SINGLE TIME.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Ishmael
3814th Post

"Re(2):OPINIONS" , posted Wed 9 Jun 23:35post reply

quote:
grenades

I wish the patch had done something about those Happy Fun Ball grenades. Having random movement on explosives makes firefights even more harrowing than they need to be. But at least now my guy can run a decent distance without collapsing into a wheezing pile so the patch wasn't all bad.

As for 3-3, it has turned into a level I enjoy replaying. When I'm teamed up with a few players who know what they are doing (e.g. Japanese players) it can be an enjoyable exercise in cooperation. The first time I played it, however, that level not only seemed endless and difficult but I had no clue what I was supposed to be doing. Instead of feeling like I was being presented with options for solving a challenge, I simply felt lost. I agree with Pollyanna, that's no way to make a first impression.

Tai-Pan
468th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):OPINIONS" , posted Thu 10 Jun 06:15post reply

Sorry to go off topic. But hey Ishmael where is that Sakura picture from? The background art throws me off...

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

mbisonhatclub
171th Post

PSN: hadoolket

Regular Customer

"Re(4):OPINIONS" , posted Thu 10 Jun 07:36post reply

quote:
Sorry to go off topic. But hey Ishmael where is that Sakura picture from? The background art throws me off...

sakura ganbaru

join the m.bison hat club today
i'm not just the president i'm also a client

Ishmael
3815th Post

"Re(5):OPINIONS" , posted Thu 10 Jun 10:44post reply

quote:

sakura ganbaru

The cover art is by Takamichi if you want to get down to the nuts and bolts of it. Usually I don't use non-professional art since fan artists can get particular about reprinting their pictures but since this is yet another continuation of the Sakura manga I consider it official-ish art.