Original message (14038 Views )

Toxico
4958th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Thu 22 Apr 02:07:post reply

a?

aaa?

What's Metal Gear again? Oh, and I don't trust the reviews.... I just click on the pictures.

Adon vs Cody

Makoto vs DJ

MvC3 Lineal art.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Update 21 as of 29/01/10 (Temporary mega upload link).

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 16 as of 13/04/10

[this message was edited by Toxico on Thu 22 Apr 14:44]

Replies:

nobinobita
720th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Thu 22 Apr 14:48post reply

httpotaku.com/5520937/do-not-trust-this-magazines-review-scoresaaa?

Isn't it just as suspicious (if not more so) that games like God of War, Bioshock and Grand Theft Auto get perfect scores across the board every time?

Perfect scores seem to be an indicator of super slick marketing more than anything else.

Ishmael
3765th Post

"Re(2):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Thu 22 Apr 22:29post reply

Speaking of pure beauty, Mr. Heart is coming as a DLC character for Hokuto Musou. I hate DLC with a passion but the sight of Heart zipping around on a motorcycle is something special. [Note: these are Gpara.com links so tread carefully.]

karasu99
337th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(3):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Fri 23 Apr 01:35post reply

quote:
Speaking of pure beauty, Mr. Heart is coming as a DLC character for Hokuto Musou. I hate DLC with a passion but the sight of Heart zipping around on a motorcycle is something special. [Note: these are Gpara.com links so tread carefully.]

I keep wondering if I should just buy this, but I have a strict once-every-five-years rule for getting Musou games. But still, Heart-sama's presence... hum, it is a tough decision.

Instead of just posting replies, how about this: Not exactly the newest of news, but since it is Sting related I feel obligated to post that Knights in the Nightmare comes to the PSP today. And... wow, it looks SO much better than the DS version!

Wasn't there an Yggdra Union sequelish game announced?

Mokona
482th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Fri 23 Apr 01:50:post reply

Who knew, 3D can be relevant!

It gives a new perspective on some classic paintings.

(I liked Vermeer's Girl with a Pearl Earring the most!)

Blah!

[this message was edited by Mokona on Fri 23 Apr 01:50]

Toxico
4962th Post

"Re(2):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Fri 23 Apr 18:59post reply

Hakkan groping Juri

Next Yakuza project will be on psp.... Does Sony thinks that I have the money to buy they every stinking console? I actually do, but that doesn't mean that I'd just cave in to temptation. Street Violence & Mizoguchi in Kenka Banchou 3 are very clever methods to tempt me though.

A zillion of imfimal SSF IV game play details that I don't care, har har. SSFIV develop blog updated by the way... Nothing that I would call news.

Basara 3

You can now do your things like a spacenoid

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

sfried
523th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Sun 25 Apr 08:47:post reply

quote:
Instead of just posting replies, how about this: Not exactly the newest of news, but since it is Sting related I feel obligated to post that Knights in the Nightmare comes to the PSP today. And... wow, it looks SO much better than the DS version!

And I bet it plays so much much worse too. KitN was one of those games that really utilized the touchscreen element extremely well. I don't see how an analogue nub can replicate that same kind of fluidity, not to mention the Law/Chaos switching element would be too broken as a button press and would be too useless if you still have to manuver your wisp through it.
quote:
Wasn't there an Yggdra Union sequelish game announced?

It's called Yggdra Unison.

[this message was edited by sfried on Sun 25 Apr 09:39]

Maese
584th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"platformers time!" , posted Mon 26 Apr 18:19post reply

Dunno if this has already been posted, but this is the random news thread and we have a mandatory Castlevania quota to meet, you know. Looks pretty neat so far, I must say. This could be the first thing a bunch of spaniards manage to get right since they kicked that midget emperor's ass in Bailén. It was about time.

Also, I'm surprised nobody has talked about Shadow Tower yet. Classy, artsy, and with an obvious Ico vibe... You can't get more promising than this!

Ishmael
3771th Post

"Re(1):platformers time!" , posted Mon 26 Apr 22:45post reply

quote:
Dunno if this has already been posted, but this is the random news thread and we have a mandatory Castlevania quota to meet, you know. Looks pretty neat so far, I must say. This could be the first thing a bunch of spaniards manage to get right since they kicked that midget emperor's ass in Bailén. It was about time.

I doubt this game is going to revolutionize the world of games but it does look like it could be solid and fun. That's more than some other 3D Castlevanias can say.
quote:
Also, I'm surprised nobody has talked about Shadow Tower yet. Classy, artsy, and with an obvious Ico vibe... You can't get more promising than this!
That does look nice although I wonder how an entire game based around that sort presentation will play out. Will I really feel the same way about the title after six hours of concentrating on the shadows in the background?

For my random contribution here's a write-up of Dragon's Lair pulled from a blog on a movie review site.

Toxico
4980th Post

"Re(2):platformers time!" , posted Tue 27 Apr 06:19post reply

Who says Yakuzas can't socialize

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Maou
1987th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(3):platformers time!" , posted Tue 27 Apr 10:11post reply

quote:
Who says Yakuzas can't socialize

Hmmm. ホステス不足。

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Toxico
4987th Post

"Keh!!!!!????" , posted Wed 28 Apr 11:24:post reply

First we felt the horror of the new Estpolis / Lufia images, but now.... Just what the heck happened to those character portraits!? .... It was even necessary adding a "gender" field in the profiles?

Not even long therapy sessions could heal these intense injuries that I have just suffered.

No wait, I got it! This has to be some hidden dark plot of the industry to bring forth some type of Existentialism to the video game genre with a bunch of developers that won't only hate themselves, but their "art" as well.

EDIT :

Oh my gosh

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

[this message was edited by Toxico on Wed 28 Apr 12:31]

sfried
523th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):platformers time!" , posted Wed 28 Apr 12:05post reply

quote:

Just what exactly is the final title of that game? They've changed the name so many times I've lost count...

Spoon
1937th Post

"Re(2):platformers time!" , posted Wed 28 Apr 12:12post reply

quote:
Will I really feel the same way about the title after six hours of concentrating on the shadows in the background?

There was an indie project in the works that had the EXACT SAME premise: that the shadows cast by light shone upon 3D objects would provide the surfaces for platforming. However, in their demo they allowed for the player to manipulate both the 3D environment as well as the shadow avatar, and the interface was kind of clunky.

To be honest, when I first heard about the concept for Echochrome, that's the way that I thought they were doing it: simply taking the 2D projection of the 3D scene, and then using that to form the collision boxes.

Anyway, it's a concept that allows for a lot of flexibility and creativity. At worst, think about Super Paper Mario or Crush and how the player can get around things in the 2D or 3D settings. In Shadow Tower, you will likely only be moving the player in the 2D setting, but pulling switches and junk could influence the world in a 3D way, and you have to reconcile how that manipulation maps back into 2D.

Ishmael
3778th Post

"Re(1):Keh!!!!!????" , posted Thu 29 Apr 00:28post reply

quote:
EDIT :

Oh my gosh

My only guess is that after seeing the fighter revival SNKP decided that shooters were destined for a comeback. Did Skystage turn out to be a bigger hit than I thought it would be?

Nekros
263th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):Keh!!!!!????" , posted Thu 29 Apr 02:42post reply

Ok it's lame, it's stupid, it's marketing...but I love shump and SNK so it's fine for me.
At least, a game that I care to play, not the usually boring marine-themed fps or other western crap like that.

Toxico
4993th Post

"Re(2):Keh!!!!!????" , posted Thu 29 Apr 16:17:post reply

quote:
Did Skystage turn out to be a bigger hit than I thought it would be?

I don't think so... My theory is that, since the DS is about to be switched, their no budget releases on it are likely to be compromised if the next console brings too much to the market. So, they had to switch to psp (for a while(?)).

Also, if this game reuses the engine & animations from Sky Stage, as well as other features and stuffs then this game is likely to not be an expensive product; they are just trying to get more money from their Sky Stage work, har har.

....Now that I think about, if the first Sky Stage would have been a crazy Neo Geo characters game with a weird, random NGBC like cast, sponsored by Dr. Brown & with a bunch of ridicule stuff here and there akin to an "SNK Parodious"; it would have a complete thrill to play (Next Boss : Athena's bunny costume giant legs!!), and probably would have become my "these last 10 years best game" or something.

I don't care at all, but what the hell

The next arcadia cover need no presentation, I wonder if they'll unveil something "arcade exclusive".

EDIT :

Crossbone gundam seems to be getting some love in the latest Gundam Extreme Vs.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

[this message was edited by Toxico on Fri 30 Apr 10:01]

hikarutilmitt
546th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Thu 29 Apr 21:44post reply

quote:
a?

aaa?

Reading an article on Kotaku about a another "gaming journalism" entity and it supposedly doing a bad thing is like the sincerest form of the pot calling the kettle black.

PSN: hikarutimitt
XBL: hikarutilmitt

Spoon
1940th Post

"Re(2):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Fri 30 Apr 16:27post reply

So some of you may have played Subtle Style's doujin fighter Akatsuki Blitzkampf. By "some", I probably just mean "me". But anyway, there's a new game of his in the works featuring the characters/setting of Blitzkampf.

http://subtlestyle.net/en-1/

One of the things about the game is that it features the EXTREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEME ZOOM IN found in the old SNK games like AOF (and somewhat in KOF12), but most importantly, features an IMMEDIATE TRIPLE TAKE on the hit that scores the KO for a non-final round. The hit/block/parry/etc. effects also take up a preposterous amount of the screen. The characters seem about as well animated as before (which is to say, at best competently). But the presence of the triple take makes the game beyond reproach in my mind.

Loketest match vids can be found on nicovideo.
Here's one:
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm10553609

nobinobita
733th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(2):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Sat 1 May 00:18post reply

quote:
a?

aaa?

Reading an article on Kotaku about a another "gaming journalism" entity and it supposedly doing a bad thing is like the sincerest form of the pot calling the kettle black.

Kotaku is just another arm of the Patriot's setting out to control the information battlefield according to the will of their sponsors. >: (

Seriously though, it's scary how much influence they have. I have coworkers who were real enthused about Peace Walker until Kotaku started posting all those negative articles. Now they're all like "Metal Gear has sold out!"

I've told them that Metal Gear has always been "selling out" with real product placement in the titles like Maxim, Playboy, Calorie Mate etc and that the Doritos and Monster Hunter stuff just kind of fits in with the oddball sense of humour of the series. But they aint having it.

Personally I think if product placement can help you secure the funds you need to do the game that you want, i can let it go. And sucking up/paying off the press, though rather unscrupulous is just another tactic that every other company is already engaging in. Real selling out is completely changing the style of your game to pander to a theoretical broad audience (I firmly believe there are ways to make interesting games with integrity that still have mass appeal). There are many many worse offenders in this regard than Metal Gear.

Count Hihihi
242th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Sat 1 May 00:47post reply

I personally love Kotaku.

Kotaku Ono and the Fanboy spirit.

Toxico
4996th Post

"Re(5):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Sat 1 May 03:23:post reply

Neo Geo flying thingie, official lineal art by Famitsu.

More musou

Gpara has no new info, but they tell us to K'an it. They forgot Hwa Jai, har har. Dengeki too

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

[this message was edited by Toxico on Sat 1 May 03:24]

Gojira
2613th Post

"Re(6):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Sat 1 May 07:57:post reply

quote:
Neo Geo flying thingie, official lineal art by Famitsu.

I really have to wonder how they're going to make that "hold the PSP sideways" thing work. Because I've experimented a bit in homebrew development and the thing just doesn't seem designed to be held sideways at all. I can sort of pull it off by turning the face buttons into a faux d-pad, but using the actual d-pad forces me to do odd wrist contortions just to find a button while stabilizing the whole thing. And it kind of hurt after a while.

shipoopi

[this message was edited by Gojira on Sat 1 May 07:58]

Badoor
126th Post

PSN: BadoorSNK
XBL: BadoorSNK
Wii: n/a

Regular Customer

"Re(7):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Sat 1 May 23:40post reply

Every year, darkness looms over KonamiLand. It's up to IGA to fulfill his destiny and pick up his whip, man up and fight the great evil using the legendary power of...
Reused Sprites from Older Castlevanias Games.

Can't say I'm happy about this if it was true. But I'm more uncertain about the multiplayer part not because it could be bad but because it's seems to be undermining the singleplayer mode.

Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=21046420#post21046420

Nekros
265th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(8):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Sun 2 May 03:04post reply

quote:
Every year, darkness looms over KonamiLand. It's up to IGA to fulfill his destiny and pick up his whip, man up and fight the great evil using the legendary power of...

Can't say I'm happy about this if it was true. But I'm more uncertain about the multiplayer part not because it could be bad but because it's seems to be undermining the singleplayer mode.

Too bad they reuse sprites to make an HD Castlevania. Multiplayer and metroid layout are interesting enough to give it a try.

Amakusa
843th Post

"Re(8):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Sun 2 May 13:00post reply

quote:

Checking out that thread made an interesting point about how all the pictures are squished from the 16:9 aspect ratio.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

Maou
1994th Post

"Re(2):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Tue 4 May 02:12:post reply

quote:
a?

aaa?

First grade-level drivel like Kotaku is now in a place to call other publications (er, actual publications) legitimate or not? I don't think a superfan site that reads like those old American Gamepro magazines should be saying too much, even if Famitsu is of course pretty silly, too.

edit: Harmony of Despair? What's this noise? Joke? That looks like real Kojima art, but maybe that was just some spread she did at some point that I didn't notice and only saw for the first time in what I assume is a fake?

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 4 May 02:17]

Count Hihihi
243th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Tue 4 May 03:40post reply

I have something to ask, since I know you lot know your stuff..

Why does THIS sound so damn familiar? I have this feeling that I've heard the main riff in a KOF game.

Kotaku Ono and the Fanboy spirit.

Ishmael
3781th Post

"Re(3):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Tue 4 May 04:39post reply

quote:

edit: Harmony of Despair? What's this noise? Joke? That looks like real Kojima art, but maybe that was just some spread she did at some point that I didn't notice and only saw for the first time in what I assume is a fake?

I don't know if HoD is real or a hoax or what but I suspect its main reason for being is so that this random thread could meet its minimum Castlevania quotient.

Gojira
2614th Post

"Re(3):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Tue 4 May 04:46post reply

quote:

I remember when the first pics of Order of Ecclesia were leaked long before the game was announced, they looked pretty fake too.

shipoopi

Toxico
4998th Post

"Re(4):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Tue 4 May 06:54post reply

quote:

Why does THIS sound so damn familiar? I have this feeling that I've heard the main riff in a KOF game.

here

or here

Has many remixes, so; some might sound more like it than others. osts & asts are different too.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

karasu99
345th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

Bronze Customer

"Re(4):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Tue 4 May 07:08post reply

quote:

I don't know if HoD is real or a hoax or what but I suspect its main reason for being is so that this random thread could meet its minimum Castlevania quotient.

My first though was that it is in every way like a Castlevania fan-made game based on sprite rips. I imagine that is not too far from the actual truth of the matter, really (although a fan-made game might be better than one made by Konami). Now all it needs is genuine fanfic elements.

Inevitably with Castlevania games, I turn my nose up at the first announcement, only to scramble to purchase the game once it is released, and play it manically for a month or so afterward. In light of such future events, I can only say I am sad to see that it is an XBox Live game, and not for the DS.

nobinobita
738th Post

"Re(3):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Tue 4 May 07:11post reply

quote:

edit: Harmony of Despair? What's this noise? Joke?

I believe the title refers to the singular wave of emotion that's been washing over Castlevania fans since the unveiling of this game.

Gojira
2615th Post

"Re(5):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Tue 4 May 08:01post reply

quote:

here

or here

Has many remixes, so; some might sound more like it than others. osts & asts are different too.

Not SNK, but it does remind me of this.

shipoopi

KTallguy
1211th Post

PSN: Hunter-KT
XBL: n/a

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Nier" , posted Tue 4 May 10:22post reply

C-C-COMBO BREAKAAA

So Nier, that new Cavia game from the guys that did Draknagard 1 and 2... has anyone played it?

It kind of reminds me of Deadly Premonition in that it's flawed and obscure... it's like an action RPG with shmup elements or something. And apparently the music is great.

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

Pollyanna
2912th Post

PSN: Lilly_Dopamine

"Re(1):Nier" , posted Tue 4 May 10:31post reply

quote:

So Nier, that new Cavia game from the guys that did Draknagard 1 and 2... has anyone played it?

It kind of reminds me of Deadly Premonition in that it's flawed and obscure... it's like an action RPG with shmup elements or something. And apparently the music is great.

No money! Otherwise, I'd snap it up. I loved Drag-on-Dragoon 2. I'm iffy if I want in in English or not, though. Square usually does a decent job with their English adaptations, but the Japanese dub for DoD2 is my all-time favorite. It's stuck with me much longer than anything else about the game.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

KTallguy
1213th Post

"Re(2):Nier" , posted Tue 4 May 12:25:post reply

If I get it, I'm getting it in Japanese. But 7000 yen is too much. Gonna wait a bit.

How long does it take for Drag-on-Dragoon 2 to get ... weird?
I got sort of far but gave up... but I remember the art style being very menacing (character portraits).

Edit: On second thought maybe I'll get it in English...? Localization is pretty good so I hear.

[this message was edited by KTallguy on Tue 4 May 16:57]

Toxico
4999th Post

"Re(6):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Wed 5 May 00:22post reply

Episode "judgement"? If we believe the site, RO is going on strong on japan... I would have never known.

.... Then again, my true reason for posting is...

I'm behind your back

Seeing Evas like this summed up perfectly my feelings about the series I hate that tune, har har har.

YES.... but no, thank you.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Iggy
9129th Post

"Re(7):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Wed 5 May 19:18post reply

We don't talk much about the Wii around here, or about Nintendo products in general, but damn, is Mario Galaxy 2 shaping up nicely!

karasu99
346th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(8):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Thu 6 May 01:28post reply

quote:
We don't talk much about the Wii around here, or about Nintendo products in general, but damn, is Mario Galaxy 2 shaping up nicely!

Yes, it's absolutely gorgeous. There is just so much going on that I could watch these videos all day. It is as though 75% of Nintendo's really great gameplay ideas get folded into Super Mario games these days.

I'm interested to see how the Yoshi 'tongue targeting' works in practice. It seems a little unwieldy, but I am sure it will be more intuitive than it looks.

HAYATO
968th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(9):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Thu 6 May 05:08post reply

I haven't seen it announced on the Cafe, so I decided to subsanate this flagrant mistake:

It seems a new installment on the God of War franchise is going to hit PSP this fall... GoW: Ghost of Sparta certainly came out of the blue!!

Now, my fellow cafers, time to bash and whine over Kratos' antics again...

nobinobita
740th Post

"Re(10):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Thu 6 May 06:19post reply

quote:
I haven't seen it announced on the Cafe, so I decided to subsanate this flagrant mistake:

It seems a new installment on the God of War franchise is going to hit PSP this fall... GoW: Ghost of Sparta certainly came out of the blue!!

It's good to see such a progressive title get so much exposure. The God of War series does an incredible job of portraying the frustrations of a teenage girl growing up in America. Life is hard sometimes! But Kratos is there for you, ready to give back some HP with his hugs.

karasu99
348th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Thu 6 May 06:50:post reply

quote:

No way am I taking that obvious bait! I will keep my GoW opinions to myself and hold them close to me at night.

I will say that it's pretty interesting how much the franchise manages to get people worked up, both for and against. I'm sure doctoral theses could be written on the subject. Uh oh-- I think that's technically an opinion of GoW!!!!

EDIT: Though technically not news, I found this pretty funny.

[this message was edited by karasu99 on Thu 6 May 06:58]

Pollyanna
2915th Post

"Re(3):Nier" , posted Thu 6 May 07:48post reply

quote:

How long does it take for Drag-on-Dragoon 2 to get ... weird?
I got sort of far but gave up... but I remember the art style being very menacing (character portraits).

Sorry for the late reply. It never really got weird like the first one. All the villains were crazy and the last boss fight was...interesting, but other than that, it was a little dark, but fairly down to earth.

I loved the artwork...combined with the voice cast (anything with Rolly in it is automatically good, no matter how much it sucks), I really got into it. Being able to use multiple characters was nice, too. Something I wish Nier had...

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

KTallguy
1216th Post

"Re(4):Nier" , posted Thu 6 May 10:27:post reply

quote:
Sorry for the late reply. It never really got weird like the first one. All the villains were crazy and the last boss fight was...interesting, but other than that, it was a little dark, but fairly down to earth.

I loved the artwork...combined with the voice cast (anything with Rolly in it is automatically good, no matter how much it sucks), I really got into it. Being able to use multiple characters was nice, too. Something I wish Nier had...

Yea, I think stories that go completely batshit insane are interesting (MGS2, Evangelion, for example). But I have to be invested in the characters for it to work.

About God of War 3, that game fascinates and frightens me at the same time. The game basically makes you into an asshole whether you like it or not. Consider these two parts of the demo on PSN:

1. There is a part where innocent people are running away from the ghouls chasing them. Try as I might, I found it nearly impossible NOT to avoid hitting the innocents with my chains. They have such a sweeping range, and the game doesn't encourage you to save them anyway.

2. There is part where you're inching along a thin ledge, but there is a guy standing by a window over a precipice. In this section you can also drop down to hang by your hands and cross. It makes sense that you could drop down and avoid touching the guy by crossing below him. However the game actually prevents you from crossing below him in this way. You actually have to hit a button to kill the innocent guy, no matter what.

In this way, I kind of feel like God of War 3 is approaching art more interesting then a lot of games. I'm forced to do something that makes me uncomfortable. The majority of people just think of it as another target, but the fact is that especially in that moment, you are Kratos, and Kratos kills indiscriminately. This actually gives the non-choice more impact that if I could save him and get some sort of "heaven points" to level up my "good" powers, which is what most games do nowadays when they deal with supposed moral choices.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it?

[this message was edited by KTallguy on Thu 6 May 15:56]

karasu99
348th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re:Obligatory" , posted Thu 6 May 12:46post reply

Since we've now gone a day or so since someone mentioned Castlevania, it seems a Konamistyle version of the big OST box set has been announced. It's the 18-CD set from before, plus three additional ones:

-Akumajou Dracula X Drama CD
-Akumajou Dracula Drama CD
-Akumajou Dracula Rebirth & Contra Rebirth OST

Plus, it has really, really great art on the materials.

HAYATO
969th Post

"Re(1):Re:Obligatory" , posted Thu 6 May 20:57post reply

quote:
Since we've now gone a day or so since someone mentioned Castlevania, it seems a Konamistyle version of the big OST box set has been announced. It's the 18-CD set from before, plus three additional ones:

Loved the box's art. It vaguely resembles both Alfons Mucha's style and that of illustrators of the middle-ages, such as these. Really interesting, indeed...

And for those avid Castlevania fans who don't know about it yet, I'd suggest Koumajou: Scarlet Symphony to satisfy their urges...

sfried
526th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(8):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Thu 6 May 22:55:post reply

quote:

What about Xenoblade's huge world trailer, or the fact that it has Yoko Shimomira and Yasunori Mitsuda as composers? Not to mention Sin & Punishment 2 is supposedly out in the EU and has a dual-audio option and reversable coverart.

[this message was edited by sfried on Thu 6 May 23:42]

Iggy
9130th Post

"Random thread *Kawaikochan* ver" , posted Fri 7 May 00:14post reply

Are you in dire need of your daily dose of Wakamoto?
Of course you are. Who isn't?

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm3951187

Now THAT is a series I'd like to watch. But only with that dub.

Toxico
5001th Post

"Re(1):Random thread *Kawaikochan* ver" , posted Fri 7 May 01:37post reply

Eh?.... This piece of info made me realize that there is the possibility that if KoF XIII doesn't kick it off, I'll be forced to play fighting games as a bunch of Gackt emo fag clones or a bunch of unimaginative eroge loli characters that do nothing but throwing badly colored transparent beams through the screen....

So, To cheer me up...

NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH
BANG!
わか☆もと
!
!!
Wakamoto oni-sama!
one-sama~~
若本にしてあげる♪~
バ-カ バ-カ
must get

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Amakusa
845th Post

"Re(9):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Fri 7 May 02:53post reply

quote:
What about Xenoblade's huge world trailer, or the fact that it has Yoko Shimomira and Yasunori Mitsuda as composers? Not to mention Sin & Punishment 2 is supposedly out in the EU and has a dual-audio option and reversable coverart.

Damn... that's a pretty trailer. I was pretty indifferent to Xenoblade before, but that just might get me to watch it a bit closer.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

nobinobita
742th Post

"Re(2):Re:Obligatory" , posted Fri 7 May 05:58:post reply

quote:

Loved the box's art. It vaguely resembles both Alfons Mucha's style and that of illustrators of the middle-ages, such as these. Really interesting, indeed...

And for those avid Castlevania fans who don't know about it yet, I'd suggest Koumajou: Scarlet Symphony to satisfy their urges...

That box art is beautiful. Very Byzantine. Very inspired. It would be great if the latest Castlevania were as good as that packaging.

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Fri 7 May 05:59]

karasu99
349th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(3):Re:Obligatory" , posted Fri 7 May 07:20post reply

quote:

That box art is beautiful. Very Byzantine. Very inspired. It would be great if the latest Castlevania were as good as that packaging.

Hayato, thanks for pointing out Scarlet Symphony-- I had totally missed its release. Does it... um... get more interesting later on? The spritework is gorgeous, especially the protagonist, but the enemy density looks a little sparse. I will have to try and get it to work on my PC tonight, since it appears I need to reboot with JP language encoding set or something like that. If I had any time I would set up a separate Japanese Windows VM or something...

Nobinobita, it made me wish for more inspired Castlevania art direction as well. I used to silence my CV-critical friends by saying that at least the DS games have been enjoyable and somewhat varied, even if they do ultimately just rip off sprites from earlier games, and ReBirth was quite good, I thought, but you know, this newly announced multiplayer is just depressing-looking. Could it be that fan-made games are the real direction that the series needs to move in? I would totally be onboard to help in such an effort, but I have a sneaking suspicion that mere heartbeats would pass before Konami slapped such an endeavor with a cease-and-desist.

nobinobita
742th Post

"Re(4):Re:Obligatory" , posted Fri 7 May 08:03post reply

quote:

Nobinobita, it made me wish for more inspired Castlevania art direction as well. I used to silence my CV-critical friends by saying that at least the DS games have been enjoyable and somewhat varied, even if they do ultimately just rip off sprites from earlier games, and ReBirth was quite good, I thought, but you know, this newly announced multiplayer is just depressing-looking. Could it be that fan-made games are the real direction that the series needs to move in? I would totally be onboard to help in such an effort, but I have a sneaking suspicion that mere heartbeats would pass before Konami slapped such an endeavor with a cease-and-desist.

Hey, you're a programmer right? If you have any interest in doing an original game we should really talk.

karasu99
350th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(5):Re:Obligatory" , posted Fri 7 May 08:40post reply

quote:

Hey, you're a programmer right? If you have any interest in doing an original game we should really talk.

Yes, and yes, although I am constrained by my daytime job to some degree, as far as free time goes. You can get me at karasu99 at yahoo dot com.

Maou
1995th Post

"Re(6):Re:Obligatory" , posted Fri 7 May 12:16:post reply

quote:
SFRIED: Yoko Shimomira and Yasunori Mitsuda as composers?
Ye gods, it's like the directors Dream Team from Chrono Trigger, but aurally!
quote:
HAYATO: I'd suggest Koumajou: Scarlet Symphony to satisfy their urges...
Gorgeous and fluid! +10!! Doesn't capitalize on opportunity for PCE Valis-style panty shots! -20!!
quote:
IGGY: Are you in dire need of your daily dose of Wakamoto?
Of course you are. Who isn't?
INDEED. The next episode of his radio show is next week! The anime girls still suck, but his monologues still are so 渋い that I weep more manly tears than at anything other than Matsumoto Leiji's stuff.

[this message was edited by Maou on Fri 7 May 12:25]

nobinobita
743th Post

"Re(7):Re:Obligatory" , posted Fri 7 May 12:29post reply

quote:
I weep more manly tears than at anything other than Matsumoto Leiji's stuff.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-11-25/leiji-matsumoto-queen-music-video-screenshots-posted

Maou
1995th Post

"Re(8):Re:Obligatory" , posted Fri 7 May 12:44post reply

quote:
I weep more manly tears than at anything other than Matsumoto Leiji's stuff.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-11-25/leiji-matsumoto-queen-music-video-screenshots-posted

!! I don't think I'll tear up and get chills like I do every time I read the text and hear the music for the Captain Harlock~Endless Odyssey trailer from a few years back, and I still like Daft Punk Matsumoto more, but this is interesting!

THE DROOGO
314th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Fri 7 May 19:35post reply

quote:
a?

aaa?

What's Metal Gear again? Oh, and I don't trust the reviews.... I just click on the pictures.

Adon vs Cody

Makoto vs DJ

MvC3 Lineal art.

Lets see if yoy trust this on metal gear
http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/05/03/metal-gear-solid-pantsu-walker/

O ra o ra!
H.Y.A.L.M.A.R.I.

Ishmael
3786th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b

"Electronic Gaming not quite Monthly" , posted Sun 9 May 08:18post reply

It's probably not a surprise to anyone but me but EGM has a new issue out. The sight of EGM -complete with Ryu on the cover- on the shelves made me feel like I had come across a fly trapped in amber.

Burning Ranger
1651th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Electronic Gaming not quite Monthly" , posted Sun 9 May 12:31post reply

quote:
It's probably not a surprise to anyone but me but EGM has a new issue out. The sight of EGM -complete with Ryu on the cover- on the shelves made me feel like I had come across a fly trapped in amber.

Just hearing the name brings me back to a time when gaming mags covered games like Earthworm Jim, Doom, and a little Japanese game system called the "Play Station." Back then, people were talking about wanting a Street Fighter vs Mortal Kombat game (and people thinking that the MK cast would "win"). How far we have come.

So much to do so little time...

HAYATO
971th Post

"Re(2):Electronic Gaming not quite Monthly" , posted Tue 11 May 04:58post reply

quote:

Just hearing the name brings me back to a time when gaming mags covered games like Earthworm Jim, Doom, and a little Japanese game system called the "Play Station." Back then, people were talking about wanting a Street Fighter vs Mortal Kombat game (and people thinking that the MK cast would "win"). How far we have come.

That's exactly the same time period I associate EGM with!! 1995 and 1996, to be more exact. That's when, while being in Ireland on holidays, I had the chance to buy some issues, and thus they got etched in my mind forever. Oh, the memories...

nobinobita
745th Post

"Re(3):Electronic Gaming not quite Monthly" , posted Tue 11 May 05:03post reply

quote:

That's exactly the same time period I associate EGM with!! 1995 and 1996, to be more exact. That's when, while being in Ireland on holidays, I had the chance to buy some issues, and thus they got etched in my mind forever. Oh, the memories...

Hey you remember that 300+ page issue with Mortal Kombat on the cover? The one that had an early preview of Chrono Trigger? Good times!

HAYATO
973th Post

"Re(4):Electronic Gaming not quite Monthly" , posted Tue 11 May 07:00post reply

quote:

Hey you remember that 300+ page issue with Mortal Kombat on the cover? The one that had an early preview of Chrono Trigger? Good times!

Sadly, the only one I remember ( because I still own it) is the one featuring "Batman Forever" on the cover. I wish I had kept other, more interesting issues but I couldn't find any other one. Tough luck, I guess, as I've heard many good things about the magazine along these years...

Toxico
5005th Post

"........" , posted Wed 12 May 00:23post reply

Promo movie is up.... And .

Illustrators :

Tonko, Hiroaki, Akio, Senri Kita & someone new from those Queen's Blade SNK "queen side Iroha character artbook"..... Or something like that

Sky stage is a sub bonus game included in this. The fact that you can actually select a ship this time around is an strange improvement from the previous game...

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

karasu99
354th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):........" , posted Wed 12 May 02:03post reply

quote:

Promo movie is up.... And .

Illustrators :

Tonko, Hiroaki, Akio, Senri Kita & someone new from those Queen's Blade SNK "queen side Iroha character artbook"..... Or something like that

Sky stage is a sub bonus game included in this. The fact that you can actually select a ship this time around is an strange improvement from the previous game...

As much as I am tempted to make fun of this game (and I think I did on previous occasions) I will, sadly, almost certainly buy it. Like Capcom vs SNK was a strange and at the time unexpected intersection of two franchises I love. this game is a strange intersection of two genres that I love. Too bad the Iroha art is not especially good.

Spoon
1955th Post

"Re(2):........" , posted Sat 15 May 03:25post reply

Has anybody played the new Rocket Knight game? It's been out for a few days now.

Burning Ranger
1654th Post

"Re(5):Electronic Gaming not quite Monthly" , posted Sun 16 May 11:50post reply

quote:

Sadly, the only one I remember ( because I still own it) is the one featuring "Batman Forever" on the cover. I wish I had kept other, more interesting issues but I couldn't find any other one. Tough luck, I guess, as I've heard many good things about the magazine along these years...

I also remember an issue that had a preview of Megaman 7. Another had a preview of a hot new game from Japan called Street Fighter Alpha 2, which introduced Sakura and brought back fan favorite Zangief with awesome anime-style animation.

So much to do so little time...

Spoon
1956th Post

"Re(6):Electronic Gaming not quite Monthly" , posted Sun 16 May 12:11post reply

quote:
I also remember an issue that had a preview of Megaman 7. Another had a preview of a hot new game from Japan called Street Fighter Alpha 2, which introduced Sakura and brought back fan favorite Zangief with awesome anime-style

EGM: Do you remember love?

karasu99
355th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):Nier" , posted Tue 18 May 00:34post reply

quote:
C-C-COMBO BREAKAAA

GOT IT! Even though it has been a while since the question was asked.

So far, pretty okay. Very flawed, pretty not-great graphics, but I was drawn to the dark-ages-via-post-apocalypse setting, and the first hour or so has been pretty good. I can see where the shooter elements might emerge at some point, but... we'll see.

Ishmael
3796th Post

"Re(2):Nier" , posted Wed 19 May 04:17post reply

quote:
So far, pretty okay. Very flawed, pretty not-great graphics, but I was drawn to the dark-ages-via-post-apocalypse setting, and the first hour or so has been pretty good. I can see where the shooter elements might emerge at some point, but... we'll see.

If the scenario of Nier proves to be popular can Capcom's revival of Trojan be far behind? Then again, now that I think about it there are actually a lot of games that have variations on a post-armageddon setting. It seems the fun doesn't start until the world ends. I just hope that Nier has a few mohawk wearing punks running around; you can't have a proper fight at the end of the world without those guys.

KTallguy
1216th Post

"Re(2):Nier" , posted Wed 19 May 10:17post reply

quote:

Keep me updated! :)

karasu99
358th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):Nier" , posted Wed 19 May 13:43:post reply

quote:
Keep me updated! :)

Happy to!

So far, I'm not loving it-- the fishing mini-game is crappily put together and frustrating (and seems to be required to move the story forward, at least as far as I can tell), the combat system is pretty miniscule, including the magic, and so far the side quests, which I had seen described as exciting and varied, are just glorified fetch quests without exception.

The two bosses I've fought were actually quite interesting, design-wise and battle-wise, but I don't know if that is enough to keep me playing.

EDIT: Removed some of my compliant since I discovered I was fishing in the wrong place. It's still rubbing me the wrong way though...

[this message was edited by karasu99 on Wed 19 May 14:01]

KTallguy
1217th Post

"Re(4):Nier" , posted Thu 20 May 10:52post reply

Yea, the fishing thing is kind of famous for being crap.

There are like, 3 games that I'm interested in right now and I'm trying to decide if I should bite the bullet on any of them:

Red Dead Redemption

Lost Planet 2

And Nier.
I think that Nier has some cool stuff about it but I can't justify getting it if it takes too long to get to those bits.

Pollyanna
2919th Post

"Re(5):Nier" , posted Thu 20 May 14:40post reply

quote:

There are like, 3 games that I'm interested in right now and I'm trying to decide if I should bite the bullet on any of them:

Red Dead Redemption

Lost Planet 2

And Nier.
I think that Nier has some cool stuff about it but I can't justify getting it if it takes too long to get to those bits.

I'm waiting for Nier to get cheaper. I know it will.

Lost Planet 2 is sloppy, but can be fun if you want to play online. If you're only interested in playing through the campaign in single player DO NOT BUY THE GAME. I had a reasonable amount of fun winning it alone, but it's just...not very well put together. The partner AI is bad, the game does a poor job of explaining what you should do, some things (like the grappling hook) just don't work right. There's a lot to unlock and it unlocks at a reasonable pace, but there's a poor balance to HOW you unlock it. Getting credits in particular is broken, resulting in a strong feeling of "grinding" if you want to get anything done. There's also not nearly enough motivation to play the game on hard (in terms of what awards you get), making playing with friends on tougher challenges much less appealing.

Still, I've been enjoying it enough. Even if it doesn't come together quite right, there are a lot of nice things about it and I like playing vs online.

I just got Red Dead Redemption today. It's not my type of game. I don't like open world stuff at all and I've never been into GTA. Still, I've been very impressed thus far. The environments are really believable and even if the frame rate goes all over the place and the animation is choppy here and there, the overall visual effect in the game is very strong. The more precise sense of aiming (rather than LP2's "go crazy with a machinegun or blow them away with explosions") may make for a good online vs experience, too.

It might be the best game out of the bunch, but it's too early for me to say.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

KTallguy
1218th Post

"Re(6):Nier" , posted Thu 20 May 17:32post reply

I'm partial to Capcom's "clunkyness", and I like their unique take on shooting games, as seen in that video I linked. But I heard all of those complaints, yea. It seems like a game that you have to really play so damn much to really go anywhere. The slot machine system seems particularly silly. I think I would like to team up with random people online, I hope that's not worse.

My friend is raving up a storm about Red Dead, and I enjoy GTA games but I almost never finish them because of ... stuff getting in the way. That's my only worry with the game.

Metal Gear Peace Walker is really THE game that I've been addicted to these past 3 weeks. Such an amazing game, basically Monster Hunter, with guns and crazy pseudo futuristic tools, without all the bullshit grinding over and over, with a great story and fun characters, with some really awesome and creative stealth sequences, with crazy boss encounters, etc etc etc. I can't stop singing the praises of this game, and playing with your friends is oh so fun :)

Ishmael
3798th Post

"Re(5):Nier" , posted Thu 20 May 22:12post reply

quote:
Yea, the fishing thing is kind of famous for being crap.

Red Dead Redemption

Lost Planet 2

And Nier.

LP2 is a bit of a problem child but all the various tricks you can do -such as shown in the video you linked- do make it fun. I've also found I enjoy the game more now that I can use my edited characters in the campaign mode. It not only adds a personal touch but since the cut scenes use the game engine my badly dressed character can be seen strolling around during important matters, effectively ruining the mood.

While the idea of a Western appeals to me I'm holding off on Red Dead for awhile. Too often there is a huge difference between the initial reviews of Rockstar titles and what's actually in the game.

karasu99
359th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(6):Nier, but SMG2 soon!" , posted Fri 21 May 01:34post reply

quote:

While the idea of a Western appeals to me I'm holding off on Red Dead for awhile. Too often there is a huge difference between the initial reviews of Rockstar titles and what's actually in the game.

This almost makes me want to get the game. I can't recall laughing so hard in quite a while, even though it's a dumb kind of thing to laugh about. Thank you Ishmael for that.

I have a good friend whose favorite game of all time is Red Dead Revolver, so he has been extremely excited about this game. I never played the first one, and I have never been a Rockstar fan, and I'm not terribly fond of this kind of game in the first place, so I will probably avoid it. I think it is largely the same reason why I've avoided Lost Planet 2. Perhaps I am missing out, but... oh well.

Nier continues to be ho hum okay. I played some more last night and fought a boss that was pretty interesting, but ultimately very repetitive. Like I said before, I keep waiting for the really cool part that people keep implying is present, but I'm just not seeing it.

In lighter news, Super Mario Galaxy drops early next week, so I am guessing that I will completely dump Nier in favor of it, and will play it to death. I'm happy to see that it is being compared favorably to Super Mario World, which is still all these years later one of my favorites in the series.

KTallguy
1219th Post

"Re(7):Nier, but SMG2 soon!" , posted Fri 21 May 09:01post reply

Sorry you're not enjoying Nier, I hope it wasn't me who pressured you to buy it or something! Some people really built it up as something special, so I was curious.

And yes, that Red Dead video you posted kind of spiked my interest for the game, Ishmael. ;-)

Anyway if you guys have PSPs you really have to check out Peace Walker too :)

karasu99
360th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(8):Nier, but SMG2 soon!" , posted Fri 21 May 10:06post reply

quote:
Sorry you're not enjoying Nier, I hope it wasn't me who pressured you to buy it or something! Some people really built it up as something special, so I was curious.

And yes, that Red Dead video you posted kind of spiked my interest for the game, Ishmael. ;-)

Anyway if you guys have PSPs you really have to check out Peace Walker too :)

No no, not at all! You aren't to blame at all. I read a few articles here and there where Nier was a sort of hidden gem, and some of the video I watched seemed to indicate it was so as well. I'm still holding out hope that it will turn around.

I had looked at Peace Walker, but I'm still undecided. It seems to have little in common with MGS, or am I mistaken? That could oddly sell me on getting it.

KTallguy
1220th Post

"Re(9):Nier, but SMG2 soon!" , posted Fri 21 May 21:06post reply

Imagine MGS with tons of pure gameplay, a robust weapon unlocking system, and a fun, concise story. Then add some lightweight base management/building on top. Then add a lot of replayability and the ability to take on bosses with 3 friends or normal missions with 1 friend, and you have yourself a pretty addictive package.

It's primarily a stealth game though, so if you don't like those, I'd stay away. But it's basically MGS distilled of all the stuff that piled up over the years. The mechanics have been streamlined and the overall feel is really good. I highly recommend it. :)

Ishmael
3800th Post

"Pac-Man's third decade" , posted Sat 22 May 04:49post reply

Just in case you missed it: In celebration of Pac-Man's 30th birthday the Google logo today is a fully playable Pac-Man game.

Huh, it seems I'm so used to hitting that URL button that I use it even when it probably isn't necessary. I mean, seriously, a link to Google?

kofoguz
856th Post

"Metal Slug SV-001 Pachinko game!" , posted Sat 22 May 06:11:post reply

quote:
Just in case you missed it: In celebration of Pac-Man's 30th birthday the Google logo today is a fully playable Pac-Man game.

Huh, it seems I'm so used to hitting that URL button that I use it even when it probably isn't necessary. I mean, seriously, a link to Google?

It would be even worse if link would have been broken, LOL.

EDIT: Call me naive but I feel like this is the preparing to the next gen Metal Slug. If you check the site and you'll see nice effects and (I guess) HD backgrounds. Also art galore.

Hmm I'm curious to these pachinko games, wish they hadnt cancelled their pachinko complation PS2 game.

[this message was edited by kofoguz on Sun 23 May 13:04]

Sensenic
1696th Post

"KOF is here again!" , posted Tue 25 May 03:39:post reply

From the maker(s?) of the 変集動画 series, perhaps better known for the Spartan X parody NATRAPS X arrives...

The King of Famicom

Also available in delicious Engrish

A NicoNico is fine too

Mannerly Highbrow politely asks you to play MS Paint Adventures.
Also play:

"Don't give me that crap about real life. There ain't no such animal."
-Felix Leiter-

[this message was edited by Sensenic on Tue 25 May 03:40]

Oroch
1096th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):Pac-Man's third decade" , posted Tue 25 May 13:58post reply

quote:

its permanent now

karasu99
366th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):SMG2" , posted Thu 27 May 13:06post reply

I know it is not the most fashionable pursuit around these parts, but it anyone else playing Super Mario Galaxy 2? I am three worlds in, and... really, it's well put together games like this that remind me why I enjoy games so much still.

Pollyanna
2924th Post

"Re(3):SMG2" , posted Thu 27 May 13:45post reply

quote:
I know it is not the most fashionable pursuit around these parts, but it anyone else playing Super Mario Galaxy 2? I am three worlds in, and... really, it's well put together games like this that remind me why I enjoy games so much still.

I think Mario is a gross little troll and I am loathe to take control of him, but I can't name a game better than Mario Galaxy. Although I haven't spent much time with Galaxy 2, it's left me just as impressed as the original did.

I just wish I could turn Mario way down and turn the music way up.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Maou
2001th Post

"Re(3):SMG2" , posted Thu 27 May 15:37:post reply

quote:
I know it is not the most fashionable pursuit around these parts

Whaaaaaaat Mario talk is ALWAYS fashionable, never fear! Mario's basic goodness is like the basic goodness of breathing air...it often goes without saying. A life without either would be short/impossible/incredibly stupid.

Polly, the only good voices ever to happen in Mario were Kinopio/Toad in the GBA remakes, and that's only because he was accidentally hilariously terrible. "UH-OH!!!!!" I wish I had a yoooo-tube clip for that. Like most platforming legends, the Mario crew should stay quiet, and that includes both talking and in-game story.

Special bonus: Phooey, since I can't find a proper clip of Kinopio shrieking UH OH!!!, you can have this helpful video of how to actually die in a Mushroom house in Mario 3.

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 27 May 15:45]

Spoon
1961th Post

"Re(4):SMG2" , posted Fri 28 May 02:27post reply

quote:

I think Mario is a gross little troll and I am loathe to take control of him,

He's a short, fat, suspender-wearing guy with a moustache. This total lack of fashion sense likely offends the sensibilities of the cafe.

On the other hand, when your very appearance is iconic, do you really need fashion sense? Mario is peculiar to me in that he's a character that doesn't have to look "cool" or "freakish" or "cute" or any other styling that normally makes characters attractive, and yet that's perfectly fine. Mario is Mario.

Suddenly, I'm thinking of Cheng Sinzan (sp?) from Fatal Fury because of that SNK thread. If we took all the fatties from fighting games, how many characters would we have?

Iggy
9137th Post

"Re(5):SMG2" , posted Fri 28 May 03:07post reply

quote:
Suddenly, I'm thinking of Cheng Sinzan (sp?) from Fatal Fury because of that SNK thread. If we took all the fatties from fighting games, how many characters would we have?

Bob is the only reason why Tekken 6 is allowed to exist.

As for SMG2, to keep things short: it's strange to have the GOTY 7 months before the end of the year. I would feel depressed if I was working on any game to be released later this year.

Loona
321th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(5):SMG2" , posted Fri 28 May 03:28post reply

quote:

If we took all the fatties from fighting games, how many characters would we have?

Check the "overweight" tag here: http://fenixware.net/fab/fab_charSelect.asp

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

karasu99
368th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(5):SMG2" , posted Fri 28 May 03:45:post reply

quote:
On the other hand, when your very appearance is iconic, do you really need fashion sense? Mario is peculiar to me in that he's a character that doesn't have to look "cool" or "freakish" or "cute" or any other styling that normally makes characters attractive, and yet that's perfectly fine. Mario is Mario.

Honestly I haven't cared for Mario's design in the post-16bit years, but I am at a loss to articulate how I would change it or how it should be different, although his design in the Paper Mario games is a good step. Mario is one of those oddities who has survived as a distinct character for so long that he is trapped with the appearance he started with, just about. Also, I don't like that he takes his hat off these days. That is a mystery that should have stayed unanswered (or at least they should have given him male-pattern baldness).

In response to Iggy's comment about GOTY, yes, I would like to hope that this will put the pressure on others to surpass SMG2, but I don't see it happening (the drive to surpass OR the surpassing, that is).

EDIT: By the way, I would have to resign my Cafe credentials if I did not mention-- I wish that we could have had the option to use Yoshi in more than just the canned Yoshi-use levels! There, I said it! But really this is the most minor of concerns.

[this message was edited by karasu99 on Fri 28 May 03:47]

Pollyanna
2926th Post

"Re(6):SMG2" , posted Fri 28 May 06:29post reply

It's not like I expect Mario to be cool or I expect them to change his design...it's just with that voice...with those noises...with those outfits...he comes across as a pervert.

Of course, Luigi is a pervert, too. I'm sure he has some pornography he's ashamed of. He wants to be a normal guy, but he just can't help but let his superfreak show. As such, you kind of want to root for him.

Wario and Waluigi are perverts, too. That goes without saying.

The problem is...Mario is the hero. His weirdness is championed. He can even get away with saying it's innocent. Luigi is the underdog/weird brother and Wario and Waluigi are villains...it's okay for them to be freaks.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that Mario is just the wrong kind of fat and weird. I like Luigi, Wario and Waluigi just fine. They aren't cool or stylish, and they're freaks too.

Ah, but I don't like Yoshi, even if his levels are fun in SMG2. He's just...gross.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Maou
2002th Post

"Re(7):SMG2" , posted Fri 28 May 10:33:post reply

quote:
Ah, but I don't like Yoshi
But but but he has his own island! Don't you want to go to his island? I hear it's really easy to get around and pretty and hand-drawn.

You're right about perverts W/W/L though. It makes me laugh to think about them in that way.

[this message was edited by Maou on Fri 28 May 10:34]

sfried
526th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):SMG2" , posted Fri 28 May 14:07post reply

quote:
I think Mario is a gross little troll and I am loathe to take control of him, but I can't name a game better than Mario Galaxy. Although I haven't spent much time with Galaxy 2, it's left me just as impressed as the original did.

Have you played any of the Paper Mario games by any chance? I feel they're designed exclusively for people who do think "Mario isn't cool".

And I still love Boos/Teresa.

Ishmael
3805th Post

"Re(8):SMG2" , posted Fri 28 May 22:37post reply

Huh, it never occurred to me to rank the Mario characters by their level of sexual deviency but that's so well reasoned I can't argue with it.

quote:
Ah, but I don't like Yoshi

But but but he has his own island! Don't you want to go to his island? I hear it's really easy to get around and pretty and hand-drawn.

Part of me can understand the point of Yoshi; he's a sentient pet for Mario and is Pluto to his Mickey Mouse. But, at the end of the day, Yoshi is essentially just another prop for Mario. It's as if Kuribo's Shoe from SMB3 somehow became part of Mario merchandising. Actually that wouldn't be bad since I enjoyed hopping around in that boot more than I ever did trying to handle Yoshi.

Iggy
9139th Post

"Re(6):SMG2" , posted Sat 29 May 02:31post reply

quote:
Bob is the only reason why Tekken 6 is allowed to exist.

But even he might not save Tekken 7.

kofoguz
856th Post

"Re(7):SMG2" , posted Sat 29 May 07:35post reply

Sonic Colors?

Ishmael
3806th Post

"Re(8):SMG2" , posted Sun 30 May 08:26post reply

quote:
But even he might not save Tekken 7.
Hopefully the inevitable console release will be put together in a less confusing manner than T6 was. But at this point I'm more interested in the inevitable DoA sequel. How will the series change now that it's no longer an outlet for Itagaki's fetishes?

quote:
Sonic Colors?

Is Sega working under the belief that there needs to be a new Sonic game on the shelf every three months?

Maou
2005th Post

"Re(9):SMG2" , posted Sun 30 May 08:51:post reply

quote:
Is Sega working under the belief that there needs to be a new Sonic game on the shelf every three months?
Oddly enough, Sonic actually only needs a new game about every fifteen years.

[this message was edited by Maou on Sun 30 May 08:52]

badoor
131th Post

Regular Customer

"Metal Slug XX" , posted Sun 30 May 09:06post reply

I played it to completion few days ago. I couldn't find any difference between it and 7 other than co-op and resized sprites (How different was X from 2 anyway). I think they even removed the cutscenes (I remember in 7 there was a cut scene that showed how Spoiler-warning:

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
future MORDEN soldiers coming back to the present through that Stargate-like time machine

End of Spoiler

). But man the difficulty (played on Normal) just bugs me. I don't remember any other metal slugs being this hard. You constantly die so many times and with the infinite continues it just feels irrelevant and pointless to even try playing seriously. Ralf still looks to be much overpowered with 2 hits points and his vulcan punch melee attack(is he meant to be like an easy character or something)

Also, look for juicy SNK ENGRISH in the storyline inside the How-to-Play section. You can at least get that for free.

Pollyanna
2927th Post

"Re(5):SMG2" , posted Mon 31 May 19:08post reply

On the subject of Yoshi...

quote:

Yeah, it's a great place to get eaten and plopped out of a lizard...anus...? Vagina...?

quote:

Have you played any of the Paper Mario games by any chance? I feel they're designed exclusively for people who do think "Mario isn't cool".

Yeah, I like most of the Paper Mario/Mario RPGs fairly well. I can't say Mario comes across as quite so gross in any of them, but they also aren't nearly as good as Mario Galaxy. I don't think Mario needs to change or be more "cool" or whatever...I just wish I had someone less annoying to use sometimes.

quote:
But at this point I'm more interested in the inevitable DoA sequel. How will the series change now that it's no longer an outlet for Itagaki's fetishes?

I want new character designs! The characters look so dated with their poofy 90's hair and generic anime faces! Oh...and costume editing. If they want to add something sexy, clothes ripping might be fun.

DOA might not be the best 3D fighter technically, but it has a great flow to it, and it has the advantages of not having any ridiculous walls to climb before you can properly enjoy yourself or "play the right way". The rhythm of attacking and countering is really addictive to me, so I'm eagerly anticipating a new entry in the series. A little makeover is all it needs.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Iggy
9140th Post

"Re(1):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Mon 31 May 21:12post reply

Remember NGBC? Some new pics before the re-release.

man, the game is already 5 years old?

Random thread "I am old" version

kofoguz
858th Post

"Re(2):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Mon 31 May 23:32post reply

quote:
Remember NGBC? Some new pics before the re-release.

man, the game is already 5 years old?

Random thread "I am old" version

I am hoping this recent attempts would succeed that we could see NGBC 2. But not with KOF XIII style sprites. I have trust with them if they wanted to they could make it feel different and protecting the quality at the same time.

Spoon
1962th Post

"Re(3):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Tue 1 Jun 02:16post reply

This is the most interesting piece of SF4 tactical/strategic thinking you will probably read in quite awhile:

http://shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=236009&p=8883419&viewfull=1#post8883419

As he says, fundamentally the concept of baiting a response from the opposing player is intuitively understood. Intentionally creating a safe test environment for the attacker to see this is interesting... though I kind of wonder how this tactic works against enemies with fast/invulnerable command grabs that have big reach.

Ishmael
3807th Post

"Re(4):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Wed 2 Jun 00:21post reply

quote:
This is the most interesting piece of SF4 tactical/strategic thinking you will probably read in quite awhile:

http://shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=236009&p=8883419&viewfull=1#post8883419

As he says, fundamentally the concept of baiting a response from the opposing player is intuitively understood. Intentionally creating a safe test environment for the attacker to see this is interesting... though I kind of wonder how this tactic works against enemies with fast/invulnerable command grabs that have big reach.

I've actually been thinking about this idea recently since I've been using Dictator's U2 a great deal. Since the move is designed to punish mistakes -it's even helpfully titled "Psycho Punisher"- I now spend the matches trying to figure out how my opponent is playing and when they are going to go for a move that I know I can counter with my Ultra. True, I'm not particularly good at any of this but at least I'm happy to hear I'm on the right track when it comes to my approach to the game.

So in order to properly play SF you not only need to have an understanding of your character but the characters you are going to be facing. Then you need to have an idea of how you are going to play that can't be easily countered but is still flexible enough to be changed depending on the situation. Finally, you need to suss out how your opponent is playing and either match them or get them to fall into playing against you in a way that favors you while not letting yourself fall into that same same trap. That's an awful lot of variables to juggle during a single match. I wonder how that approach to fighters changes when applied to games that feature long, high damage combos?

Ishmael
3808th Post

"Re(5):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Wed 2 Jun 22:03post reply

Dreaded double post.

Hokuto Musou now confirmed for release in Europe. I know the romanization of the characters' names has never been set in stone but... Shew and Thouzer?

Grave
1329th Post

PSN: Drakee
XBL: Mikelson

"Re(6):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Wed 2 Jun 22:11post reply

At leatht it'th not Thouther. I alwayth hated that one.

Gojira
2622th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
Wii: 80085

"Re(7):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Thu 3 Jun 08:49post reply

And now, one thing which is actually two things you've already seen combined into one on a platform you probably don't care about.

Predictably, it is Castlevania-related.

shipoopi

karasu99
370th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(8):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Thu 3 Jun 13:36post reply

quote:
And now, one thing which is actually two things you've already seen combined into one on a platform you probably don't care about.

I think they will keep using those SOTN sprites for the next 50 years-- that's two games this year at least that use them!

Spoon
1963th Post

"Re(9):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Thu 3 Jun 13:56post reply

quote:

I think they will keep using those SOTN sprites for the next 50 years-- that's two games this year at least that use them!

They need to get the Morrigan sprite in there somehow.

Sensenic
1698th Post

"Re(8):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Fri 4 Jun 07:07:post reply

quote:

And now, a new entry on another long running, 3D-Ceiling-hitting saga, fortunately for the fans not as much exploited as the whippers' one:

Hard Corps: Uprising

Yup, no Contra in the title. ¿?
A prequel (not a sequel) to the Genesis game, it will come out on Live and PSN.

But probably the most unpexpected part of the thing is its developer: ArcSys.

Mannerly Highbrow politely asks you to play MS Paint Adventures.
Also play:

"Don't give me that crap about real life. There ain't no such animal."
-Felix Leiter-

[this message was edited by Sensenic on Fri 4 Jun 07:08]

Hagen de Merak
1066th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(9):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Fri 4 Jun 08:58post reply

quote:

And now, a new entry on another long running, 3D-Ceiling-hitting saga, fortunately for the fans not as much exploited as the whippers' one:

Hard Corps: Uprising

Yup, no Contra in the title. ¿?
A prequel (not a sequel) to the Genesis game, it will come out on Live and PSN.

That gave me a boner

nobinobita
749th Post

"Re(10):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Sun 6 Jun 02:13post reply

quote:

That gave me a boner

:D

They are a great fit for the Yasuomi Umetsu designed Contra. I'm really digging this 2d revival that's been going on lately!

NARUTO
3718th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Sun 6 Jun 18:42post reply

Street fighter VS tekken anyone?

http://www.thekartel.com/johnmasterlee/blog/2010/06/05/namco_and_capcom_working_on_tekken_vs_street_fighter

Fortes fortuna juvat...

Count Hihihi
251th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Mon 7 Jun 01:13post reply

quote:

http://www.thekartel.com/johnmasterlee/blog/2010/06/05/namco_and_capcom_working_on_tekken_vs_street_fighter

LOL

Has Kotaku published this as proper news yet? I bet they will.

NO

kofoguz
859th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Mon 7 Jun 05:04post reply

quote:

If it's true, well, I wish Capcom take a break whoring out VS series, and SNK would do more. Capcom is the "Slut" I want SNK to be.

mbisonhatclub
170th Post

PSN: hadoolket

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Mon 7 Jun 19:56post reply

quote:

>Namco vs Capcom type news
>Sammy vs Capcom type news long time ago
>never happened
>Capcom known for canning projects like this
>laughingelfman.jpg

join the m.bison hat club today
i'm not just the president i'm also a client

Ishmael
3811th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Tue 8 Jun 01:49post reply

Vanquish is starting to interest me. First, I like that design on the main character's robo suit has become absurdly complex and very Japanese. When done as live action the suit looks like so much molded plastic but in-game it looks like a really nimble action figure come to life. I also like the fighting shown in the Battle Suit section. Guns are fine and all but being able to run up and punch the holy crap out of a robot is another matter entirely.

badoor
132th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Tue 8 Jun 06:15post reply

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/06/07/dark_awake_psn/

New release of old Taito published and Eolith Developed 2D sprite fighter that was generically called Chaos Breaker but now will be even more generically called Dark Awake on the PSN.

Things cannot be any more random then this.

KTallguy
1224th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Tue 8 Jun 08:49post reply

I am interested in Chaos Breaker, but I'm wondering how broken it will be (har har). Apparently there are lots of infinites.

And Vanquish looks like a really fast paced Gears of War, I love the movement speed, dodge speed and dashing. Crossing my fingers and hoping that it's good.

Freeter
4509th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Tue 8 Jun 13:15post reply

Random thing I heard on the radio while driving to work today: Uwe Boll is making a Metroid movie with Jessica Simpson as Samus.

What next, Justin Bieber as Kid Icarus? Maybe they can get Lady Gaga to play Medusa...

karasu99
374th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Tue 8 Jun 23:17post reply

quote:

I'm perfectly okay with random. And I love Chaos Breaker! I'd love a ton more of this kind of weird re-release of obscure 2D fighters.

nobinobita
750th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Wed 9 Jun 00:30post reply

quote:

New release of old Taito published and Eolith Developed 2D sprite fighter that was generically called Chaos Breaker but now will be even more generically called Dark Awake on the PSN.

Awesome! I've always wanted to play this since seeing a tiny little thumbnail on insertcredit years ago!

I really appreciate that it looks like Warhammer and not Warcraft. COOL.

Ishmael
3812th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Wed 9 Jun 04:19post reply

quote:

I know nothing about Chaos Breaker but if it comes with this opening it can't be all bad.

In unrelated news, Mortal Kombat continues to show its roach-like ability to survive. Odds are something new will be announced at E3.

Mosquiton
1766th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"About DOA" , posted Wed 9 Jun 04:28:post reply

quote:

DOA might not be the best 3D fighter technically, but it has a great flow to it, and it has the advantages of not having any ridiculous walls to climb before you can properly enjoy yourself or "play the right way". The rhythm of attacking and countering is really addictive to me, so I'm eagerly anticipating a new entry in the series. A little makeover is all it needs.

I know what you mean. In the same way that I really enjoy Rival Schools even though it's not as refined as Third Strike (or even SSF4), I can really enjoy Dead Or Alive. DOA's janken design may be simple but it's not like it's broken. Having a universal system makes it really easy to switch to a new character without tons of practice, and pulling off counters is just super enjoyable.

I remember one moment in DOA2, I was playing against my friend's Jan Lee as Ayane in the great wall-esque stage. I backed against the wall for the throw that basically climbs onto your opponent's shoulder and kicks them in the back of the head, point-blank slamming his face into bricks. I paused it the instant he started making out with the wall laughed uncontrollably for several minutes. He laughed a bit too but think it was a little bit funnier for me...

You're completely right about the need for a makeover, though, Polly, my dear. Even Dead or Alive 3 felt oddly dated to me... they never really left behind the 90's vibe. Soul Calibur had at least some success with their visual updates (although I won't pretend that they didn't tarnish some of my favorite designs, or that ultimate armor breaker critical finishers aren't total wasteful design bullshit).

So yeah DOA needs to step it up, I could really use some more delicious fighting cheesecake.

And clothes ripping would be a great fit. Just go with two or three solid outfits for each character and let players tweak the palette. And definitely forget all the bullshit customization that IMO added nothing of value to Tekken or Virtua Fighter.

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Wed 9 Jun 04:35]

Pollyanna
2930th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Wed 9 Jun 04:50post reply

Capcom finally put together a Last Ranker trailer that interested me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA-TxcrakOc&feature=player_embedded

I'm still iffy about the game, but I'll end up playing it anyway, for better or worse. The webpage has a lot of stuff, too...

http://www.capcom.co.jp/LR/

Also...

quote:
I know nothing about Chaos Breaker but if it comes with this opening it can't be all bad.

SICK.

EDIT: (posted at the same time as Mosquiton, so it looked like I ignored him)

quote:
You're completely right about the need for a makeover, though, Polly, my dear. Even Dead or Alive 3 felt oddly dated to me... they never really left behind the 90's vibe. Soul Calibur had at least some success with their visual updates (although I won't pretend that they didn't tarnish some of my favorite designs, or that ultimate armor breaker critical finishers aren't total wasteful design bullshit).

Soul Calibur 4 was wayyyy too tacky for my tastes, but I do appreciate their commitment to redesigning everything each game. It feels like a sequel...and even if they're moving in crazy directions, they're still moving forward.As you said, DOA is trapped in the past.

I disagree on the costume point, though. I mean...I'd be happy with 3 solid costumes and color editing...that's a good compromise, but DOA was the series that got me excited about multiple costumes in the first place. I don't know if other players like playing dress-up as much as me, but that was a major draw of the first DOA as well as the DOAX games.

I like being able to customize a character if I'm not crazy about their design...and I like seeing everyone else's interesting takes online, but I don't mean to say that this takes precedence over solid costumes in the first place. I'd rather have 2 good designs than hundreds of variations on bad ones.

I wish more companies would get guest costume designers like Namco does...

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Mosquiton
1767th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(9):Re(10):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Wed 9 Jun 05:47:post reply

quote:
Costumes.

Huh. I should probably backpedal a bit. I honestly almost forgot that I enjoyed doing what I could to correct Ivy's awful wardrobe choice in Soul Calibur 4 and sexing up Lili Rochefort to be the ultimate sunglasses-equipped battle-tart. I also realize my favorite Ayane outfit is the Millenia/Deception 2 costume, which goes right along with your outside talent comment. And if I'm creating an original character I totally dig customizing the hell out of them (as long as I don't have to spend hours unlocking the parts).

I guess I have so little trust in getting something decent in the first place I'd settle for a few really good designs for a relaunch/rebirth/re-what-have-you. And if they did go all clothes rippity with DOA, I'd assume they'd get better results tweaking the effect per outfit.

Hah.

Maybe I'm just afraid to dream... maybe it's seeing SSFIV's mostly shitty alt costumes. I'd will them out of existence if it was up to me (although Mecha Zangief can stay, and it's hard to resist covering Cammy's freakishly defined abs with her first alt). Although, unlike SF and KOF the DOA designs aren't really that iconic to begin with.

So yeah. If a new DOA could do 3 awesome and 7 decent costumes per character (they do tend to throw in palette swaps in there traditionally anyway), then throw in a create-a-character option on top of that, I admit it would be pretty ideal.

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Wed 9 Jun 05:49]

Iggy
9141th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Wed 9 Jun 10:13post reply

quote:
Huh. I should probably backpedal a bit. I honestly almost forgot that I enjoyed doing what I could to correct Ivy's awful wardrobe choice in Soul Calibur 4 and sexing up Lili Rochefort to be the ultimate sunglasses-equipped battle-tart.

Not only do I fully agree on this, I am also relieved that we finally talk about something that has to do with the title of the thread/the topic of the board.

I think Soul Calibur 4 succeeds where Tekken and especially VF on 2 points : first, being set in a crazy medieval universe with crazy weapons, the characters can wear almost whatever they want. I wouldn't put on any character from Tekken half of the stupid masks and awesome hats that I've routinely used in Calibur.

The other thing is the character creation thing.
Since you're not modifying an existing design (though some, such as Ivy's, BEG to be corrected) but creating an all new character, you're much more free to do whatever you want.
I never played with dolls when I was a kid, only played the Sims to try all the ways of killing a character, but me and my boyfriend are still having lots of fun creating a whole new layer of intricate scenario around the fabulous Hulla Him (Tira's style) who gets all the chicks with his manly ways, but whose frail and gentle sister Cunégonde (Nightmare's style) keeps getting abducted by the diabolical Madame Andrée (Cervantes) and her vile minions. We must be near 20 characters by now, all with a more detailed background than the other. Our last creation was the mysterious butler of the family, Almodovar (Voldo), who seems to hints that the apparently long dead father of the family would actually be alive, to the dismay of Hulla Him and Cunégonde...

sfried
527th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Re: Xenoburaido" , posted Wed 9 Jun 16:37post reply

Any impressions yet? I feel that this game has unwarrantingly gone under the rader by some folks despite its high ambitions. (And it's better to have ambitions than none at all.)

Maou
2009th Post

"Re(3):Re: Xenoburaido" , posted Wed 9 Jun 16:47post reply

quote:
Any impressions yet?

Yes: the only ones that matter: MINE. I think it sounds incredibly interesting, and the world design is pretty astounding. Those trailers from a few months ago were certainly interesting. I'm intrigued too by these stray Xeno-folks. More than a decade later, I still have a complex relationship with Xenogears---which is either one of the greatest RPG scripts of all time or terrible Evangelion fanfiction, depending on my mood. I think that with the proper editor, these guys have the potential to make something very powerful and moving...regrettably for them, they haven't had such an editor yet, though they succeeded in spite of themselves with Xenogears at least (storywise, of course---helps to ignore the awful game system). If you'd trimmed out all the bafflingly blatant Evangelion stuff, you'd still be left with a transgenerational epic and some amazing scenario writing. And looking at these trailers from before, I still see the potential.

I'm pretty sceptical of anyone's ability to create "protagonists that people don't hate anymore." I don't think any halfway decent characters have been written since...Final Fantasy X? Maybe XII if I limit it only to Balflear and nobody else in that stupid party.

Pollyanna
2931th Post

"Re(4):Re: Xenoburaido" , posted Wed 9 Jun 18:10post reply

quote:
I guess I have so little trust in getting something decent in the first place I'd settle for a few really good designs for a relaunch/rebirth/re-what-have-you. And if they did go all clothes rippity with DOA, I'd assume they'd get better results tweaking the effect per outfit.

This is a good point, seeing as the replacement for "battle damage" on the custom costumes in SC4 just had them kind of...blow up. While I had fun kicking people until their pants blew up, I wouldn't call that the ideal solution to the problem.

It's unfortunate that SF4 wasn't daring in so many ways, but the alt costumes hurts the most. Here, they could have dramatically re-imagined the characters and still hid behind the original designs. Instead, we get a couple chuckles, a handful of good ideas and a mound of garbage. I am worried that fear of innovation may result in a similar disappointment when DOA whatever does (or does not) come out.

quote:
I think Soul Calibur 4 succeeds where Tekken and especially VF on 2 points : first, being set in a crazy medieval universe with crazy weapons, the characters can wear almost whatever they want. I wouldn't put on any character from Tekken half of the stupid masks and awesome hats that I've routinely used in Calibur.

You don't mean to imply that Tekken is not stupid, do you? Because I would argue that there is almost no limit to Tekken's stupidity. (this is in no way to its detriment, by the way)

quote:
Any impressions yet?

I'm reserving judgment until I play the game, which with any luck, will be next week. As of now, I'm just glad that the size of the world is offset by your fast running speed.

quote:
I don't think any halfway decent characters have been written since...Final Fantasy X? Maybe XII if I limit it only to Balflear and nobody else in that stupid party.

I'm sorry, but I really don't think you're even remotely qualified to make that statement. What percentage of the RPGs released since FFX have you played? I'm going to guess it's a significantly smaller number than what I've played, which is a significantly smaller number than the total released.

I would agree that there's a fantastic array of detestable RPG characters, but there's no shortage of hidden gems, either.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Iggy
9142th Post

"Re(5):Re: Xenoburaido" , posted Wed 9 Jun 20:47post reply

quote:
You don't mean to imply that Tekken is not stupid, do you? Because I would argue that there is almost no limit to Tekken's stupidity. (this is in no way to its detriment, by the way)
God forbids!
But I think the stupidity/awesomeness of Tekken is mostly contained in its scenario. The game itself is... trying very hard to be serious and boring, and I think it clashes with the more ridiculous/funny outfits that you can come up with.

Gojira
2623th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Thu 10 Jun 07:54post reply

quote:

In unrelated news, Mortal Kombat continues to show its roach-like ability to survive. Odds are something new will be announced at E3.

And thanks to Twitter, we now know it's not a game. In fact it may end up being nothing at all, which is encouraging to things which have already become something.

shipoopi

Ishmael
3816th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Thu 10 Jun 10:48post reply

quote:
And thanks to Twitter, we now know it's not a game. In fact it may end up being nothing at all, which is encouraging to things which have already become something.

Too bad. I felt that little promo movie removed a lot of the corny stupidity that had clogged up MK over the years and injected a fresh batch of stupid corn. Oh well, if nothing comes of this I can at least hope for sequels to Blood and Bone and Black Dynamite instead.

Digitalboy
688th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Random thread *I am pretty* ver" , posted Thu 10 Jun 11:26post reply

Er...Mortal Kombat: Noir?
quote:
Too bad. I felt that little promo movie removed a lot of the corny stupidity that had clogged up MK over the years and injected a fresh batch of stupid corn. Oh well, if nothing comes of this I can at least hope for sequels to Blood and Bone and Black Dynamite instead.

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

Maou
2011th Post

"Re(5):Re: Xenoburaido" , posted Thu 10 Jun 11:48:post reply

quote:

True, though I worry that Tekken was delightfully stupid in a very unpracticed sort of way up through Tekken 3, what with Roger Jr. and Mokujin and Gon and everything else (hmm, Tekken Force Mode!) just sort of showing up without feeling like it 'had to be in there.' They may now be constrained by their previously unbound stupidity and may or may not be quite as hilarious because they're conscious of the importance of it. I can't tell anymore!

quote:
I'm sorry, but I really don't think you're even remotely qualified to make that statement.
My only qualifications are my curmudgeonliness and my own myopic vision of modern gaming! Which is to say that I'm ideal for the internet. But while you get three demerits for the maddening Americanism of "I'm sorry, but [I am not actually sorry]," you get at least four bonus points for knocking me to my senses so that I remember that I've forgotten my love for RPG's in the modern era and haven't played nearly enough! I used to play them like it was my job before so much of the market seemed (at least to me) to implode into Jpop madness (and not even classy FF VIII Jpop madness), anime cliches, and terrifyingly regressive structural choices. Interestingly, this seems to have coincided with the unthinkable phenomenon of Tales of and Star Ocean actually becoming mainstay series. Or maybe I'm still bitter about 20 great hours of Abyss being buried in 40 more hours of...not great hours. I should really play more RPG's again though, it's true. Your remarks on small, important artistic details you notice in modern RPG's (FF XIII, for instance) always make me want to play more.

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 10 Jun 11:53]

sfried
529th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):Re: Xenoburaido" , posted Thu 10 Jun 12:40:post reply

quote:
I used to play them like it was my job before so much of the market seemed (at least to me) to implode into Jpop madness (and not even classy FF VIII Jpop madness), anime cliches, and terrifyingly regressive structural choices. Interestingly, this seems to have coincided with the unthinkable phenomenon of Tales of

-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --
And I thought I was the only one who thought those RPGs started to get too pretentious and Akiba-kei-esq post-Playstation era. Damn you Eva fans!

[this message was edited by sfried on Thu 10 Jun 12:44]

Pollyanna
2933th Post

"Re(6):Re: Xenoburaido" , posted Thu 10 Jun 18:10post reply

quote:
Or maybe I'm still bitter about 20 great hours of Abyss being buried in 40 more hours of...not great hours. I should really play more RPG's again though, it's true. Your remarks on small, important artistic details you notice in modern RPG's (FF XIII, for instance) always make me want to play more.

The small details are what's driving and killing the RPG industry for me. There are SO many details that are absolutely wonderful about FFXIII, but in the end, it was painfully obvious, for all its good points, that the game was a hack job and something went terribly wrong in production.

ToA had all the makings of an excellent RPG (excluding the soundtrack), but completely forgot that people would be PLAYING the game for hours at a time. Tales of Vesperia was a joy to play, but plays it so safe with plot and characters that its hard to be enthusiastic about it. More recently, Tales of Graces did pretty much everything right, but had numerous GLARING technical issues that should not have passed. I'm hoping for a fixed up PS3 version.

Blue Dragon was charming and meticulously constructed, but had the blandest story and cast I've seen (outside of an Ys game) in years.

Lost Odyssey escaped the anime curse and was solid on all fronts, but fell apart completely in terms of plot and difficulty balance 2/3 through the game.

I think the most solid RPG I've played recently was Arc Rise Fantasia, which (excluding the awful FMV opening) gave me little to complain about. Ah...I guess the weapons system was equal parts brilliant and counter-intuitive, so I'll call it even.

Anyway, I certainly can't blame anyone for being disenchanted with the current RPG market. For as many games as I play, I have a very tough time picking one to recommend. I believe that modern RPGs have topped the classics in every individual respect, but often fail so miserably to offer a "total package" that it's hard to say that things are better than "the good old days".
quote:
Jpop madness

I blame Gackt. On the FF front at least. Blame Nomura if you like, but Gackt is the source of this.

Admittedly, I appreciate the super pop feel of the new Persona games (even if I prefer the old ones), but I DO NOT appreciate how they suffer from...
quote:

anime cliches

I don't ever ever EVER want to hear the line "how can I save the town/country/world if I can't even save one person!?" again. I also refuse to accept "the power of love" as a reasonable plot device.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Tai-Pan
469th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(7):Re: Xenoburaido" , posted Thu 10 Jun 22:49post reply

quote:
There are SO many details that are absolutely wonderful about FFXIII, but in the end, it was painfully obvious, for all its good points, that the game was a hack job and something went terribly wrong in production.

A hack job? Ahh..pretty please..if you could elaborate on this...I would be really grateful. But you don't have to. I spend hours thinking about this but I haven't been able arrive to a conclusion. I still don't know what to make of this game.

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Nekros
266th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(6):Re: Xenoburaido" , posted Thu 10 Jun 23:38post reply

quote:

I'm sorry, but I really don't think you're even remotely qualified to make that statement. My only qualifications are my curmudgeonliness and my own myopic vision of modern gaming! Which is to say that I'm ideal for the internet. But while you get three demerits for the maddening Americanism of "I'm sorry, but [I am not actually sorry]," you get at least four bonus points for knocking me to my senses so that I remember that I've forgotten my love for RPG's in the modern era and haven't played nearly enough! I used to play them like it was my job before so much of the market seemed (at least to me) to implode into Jpop madness (and not even classy FF VIII Jpop madness), anime cliches, and terrifyingly regressive structural choices. Interestingly, this seems to have coincided with the unthinkable phenomenon of Tales of

The main difference between yesterdays and nowadays is that originality was given up in favor of market requesting.
Jrpgs that are both experimental and interesting are extincted in this generation. Games like Parasite Eve, Shadow Hearts, Ar Tonelico 2D, The Raidou saga, Wild Arms, Xenogears, Grandia and even Legaia are absolutely ignored as example by modern developers.
Instead they follow the moe way (take Valkyria 2 on PSP and its AWFUL design, especially compared with the original), the semi-tactis way (Megaten on DS) and the polygonal rubberdoll way (Star Ocean, Resonance). It's about market, not fashion or pop-style. They produce what the people want, and they want moe in Japan and 3D in Gaijin countries. Also, they seem to appreciate standards, both in story and design, so every glimpse of creativity is taken down by a general lack of request by the major target.

Gojira
2624th Post

"Dreamcast ports" , posted Fri 11 Jun 03:01post reply

What's that Sega? You think you can cash in by just PORTING classic DC games instead of redesigning them into crap? That's crazy! You're crazy!

shipoopi

Iggy
9143th Post

"Re(7):Re: Xenoburaido" , posted Fri 11 Jun 04:10post reply

Nekros: I am amazed by the presence of Megaten DS in this list.

And while there is so many things to be rightfully criticized in FFXIII, the lack of experiment is definitely not amongst them.

Pollyanna
2934th Post

"Re(8):Re: Xenoburaido" , posted Fri 11 Jun 06:15post reply

quote:

A hack job? Ahh..pretty please..if you could elaborate on this...I would be really grateful. But you don't have to. I spend hours thinking about this but I haven't been able arrive to a conclusion. I still don't know what to make of this game.

40% of the game was cut. They said "enough material to make another game". The plot/world elements do not present themselves clearly unless you read some of the "reports" and I didn't understand the world until I read the novel. The game squeezes you in and out of places a bit awkwardly at times, and brushes things under the table too quickly. I felt like some plot elements were stretched to match up with FMV that had been finished years earlier. While many of these issues could be chalked up to bad writing/weak production, I believe the real issue is that the elements were strong, but package was poorly put together and too much was cut.

I actually had similar feelings about FFXII. Not that they cut too much, but rather that every team was doing a good job, but when they put it all together, they had to make some allowances that compromised the plot/flow of the game.

quote:
I am amazed by the presence of Megaten DS in this list.

I believe he's talking about Devil Survivor, if that changes anything. In America they're all called "Shin Megami Tensei"

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Digitalboy
689th Post

"DC titles coming to PSN/XBox 360" , posted Fri 11 Jun 10:38post reply

MSR and the original Jet Set Radio is on top of my list. Cannot think of anything else at the moment. I just hope there will not be any exclusive titles to one console/network.

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

Spoon
1966th Post

"Re(1):DC titles coming to PSN/XBox 360" , posted Fri 11 Jun 12:18post reply

quote:
MSR and the original Jet Set Radio is on top of my list. Cannot think of anything else at the moment. I just hope there will not be any exclusive titles to one console/network.

I get the feeling that they will put JSR on there just to make X360 fans even more bitter about how JSRF will never be on the backwards compatible list ever since they stopped updating it however long ago.

Grave
1332th Post

PSN: Drakee
XBL: Mikelson

"Re(2):DC titles coming to PSN/XBox 360" , posted Fri 11 Jun 12:35post reply

quote:
I get the feeling that they will put JSR on there just to make X360 fans even more bitter about how JSRF will never be on the backwards compatible list ever since they stopped updating it however long ago.

...but it is! It's Gunvalkyrie that'll never be on there, and that's a goddamn shame.

Count Hihihi
254th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(9):Re: Xenoburaido" , posted Fri 11 Jun 15:31post reply

quote:

40% of the game was cut. They said "enough material to make another game".

This is what they said, but do you really believe that?
I don't.

NO

Pollyanna
2936th Post

"Re(10):Re: Xenoburaido" , posted Fri 11 Jun 17:23post reply

quote:

I don't.

Game developers lie about anything and everything for reasons that I can't even begin to comprehend. I can't imagine what the purpose of lying about cutting a huge amount of material would be. Wouldn't that just make players feel ripped off?

When I played the game, I had the impression that it had gone through so many revisions in its absurdly long development cycle that certain things didn't fit together quite right in the end. I didn't specifically think that a huge amount had been cut, but that matches with my experience with the game all the same.

40% may be an exaggeration, but I don't think it's unreasonable to believe that a sizable amount was cut.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

HAYATO
977th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re: Xenoburaido" , posted Fri 11 Jun 18:07post reply

quote:

I don't.

Game developers lie about anything and everything for reasons that I can't even begin to comprehend. I can't imagine what the purpose of lying about cutting a huge amount of material would be. Wouldn't that just make players feel ripped off?

When I played the game, I had the impression that it had gone through so many revisions in its absurdly long development cycle that certain things didn't fit together quite right in the end. I didn't specifically think that a huge amount had been cut, but that matches with my experience with the game all the same.

40% may be an exaggeration, but I don't think it's unreasonable to believe that a sizable amount was cut.

It may have had to do with time constraints... just the same reason why Xenogears was crippled. Or, perhaps, it was due to overwhelming ambition on the director's side (i.e. planning things in a bigger scope than Wii can properly handle).

Anyway, just another victim of the "Xenocurse"...

Pollyanna
2937th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re: Xenoburaido" , posted Fri 11 Jun 18:40post reply

quote:

It may have had to do with time constraints... just the same reason why Xenogears was crippled. Or, perhaps, it was due to overwhelming ambition on the director's side (i.e. planning things in a bigger scope than Wii can properly handle).

Ah, actually we were talking about FFXIII. Subject got changed in my rambling post about RPGs.

Hopefully I'll have Xenoblade to play tomorrow, but I'm sure whatever shortcomings it suffers from won't become apparent until I've already put 30 hours into the game...hahah.

Although the Xeno games have certainly suffered from their fair share of unfortunate shakeups, I can't say that Xenogears had any lack of content.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

HAYATO
978th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Re: Xenoburaido" , posted Fri 11 Jun 21:40post reply

quote:

Ah, actually we were talking about FFXIII. Subject got changed in my rambling post about RPGs.

Hopefully I'll have Xenoblade to play tomorrow, but I'm sure whatever shortcomings it suffers from won't become apparent until I've already put 30 hours into the game...hahah.

Although the Xeno games have certainly suffered from their fair share of unfortunate shakeups, I can't say that Xenogears had any lack of content.

Yeah, I must concur: Xenogears was pretty long and crammed with enough content to satisfy even the most demanding players but some dungeons and playable characters got the axe due to time constraints, IIRC.

Anyway, I wouldn't have been able to bear about 6 or 8 additional hours of gameplay, had all those monologues on the 2nd disc been implemented in the end...

Maou
2014th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Re: Xenoburaido" , posted Sat 12 Jun 11:05:post reply

quote:
Yeah, I must concur: Xenogears was pretty long and crammed with enough content to satisfy even the most demanding players but some dungeons and playable characters got the axe due to time constraints, IIRC.

Anyway, I wouldn't have been able to bear about 6 or 8 additional hours of gameplay, had all those monologues on the 2nd disc been implemented in the end...

The irony is that if they'd clipped the entirely pointless and terrible 5 hour segment in the Kiev capital of Noatun with Rico and the battle arena and the sewer monster, they would have had not only a more cohesive and driven game narrative, they probably could have avoided the terrible abridgement of Disc 2.

.....although even as someone with a (mixed, conflicted) soft spot for the game, I can't help but wonder if the Disc 2 monologues/budget breakdown were yet ANOTHER way for them to blatantly imitate Evangelion which also ran out of cash at the end and had a similarly terrible episode of still shots, as I recall. Maybe even in a chair! I don't remember!

[this message was edited by Maou on Sat 12 Jun 11:08]

HAYATO
979th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Re: Xenoburaido" , posted Sat 12 Jun 11:24post reply

quote:

The irony is that if they'd clipped the entirely pointless and terrible 5 hour segment in the Kiev capital of Noatun with Rico and the battle arena and the sewer monster, they would have had not only a more cohesive and driven game narrative, they probably could have avoided the terrible abridgement of Disc 2.

Your lips speak words of truth, wise friend!! Weren't it for Rico's segment, the game would've been thoroughly enjoyable (bar the 2nd disc apocalypse, that is). I know of many friends of mine that left the game at that point, out of sheer frustration (some of them more than once!!)...

quote:

.....although even as someone with a (mixed, conflicted) soft spot for the game, I can't help but wonder if the Disc 2 monologues/budget breakdown were yet ANOTHER way for them to blatantly imitate Evangelion which also ran out of cash at the end and had a similarly terrible episode of still shots, as I recall. Maybe even in a chair! I don't remember!

Then, it's only a matter of time that we get a "Xenogears 2.0 - Yitan is (not) Solarean", a revamped version which will do justice to the plot once and for all!! We only have to keep waiting a little more...

*taking a confortable armchair, just in case*

sfried
529th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(7):Re(10):Re: Xenoburaido" , posted Sat 12 Jun 11:32post reply

Some new ContraHard Corps Rising footage hosted by Kenji Yamamoto, now with more Guilty Gear air-dashing!

HAYATO
981th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Re: Xenoburaido" , posted Sat 12 Jun 11:46post reply

quote:
Some new ContraHard Corps Rising footage hosted by Kenji Yamamoto, now with more Guilty Gear air-dashing!

The grip the main character uses to hold that humongous shotgun of his looks weird. Besides that, it looks pretty impressive, with some innovative mechanics such as shot deflection and rolling/dashing that fit really well into the series' idiosyncrasy. Definitely, a game to follow closely...

Maou
2015th Post

"ode/curse to Xenogears" , posted Sat 12 Jun 15:40:post reply

quote:
Your lips speak words of truth, wise friend!! Weren't it for Rico's segment, the game would've been thoroughly enjoyable (bar the 2nd disc apocalypse, that is). I know of many friends of mine that left the game at that point, out of sheer frustration (some of them more than once!!)...
I had no idea other people hated that literally game-breaking segment as much as I did. Two interesting anecdotes: 1. I am probably the only (non-crazy) person ever to have finished Xenogears twice on purpose. I wasn't even a shut-in during high school! It makes me realize how much time one has then. 2. Playing through a second time makes the terrible parts almost more bearable, oddly enough, because you know to hold your nose, grimace and not talk to a single damn townsperson during Noatun etc. so you can speed through those wretched five hours in two. It worked for me.

I'm still in awe of Xenogears and have yet to see anyone write something that even scratches the mindshatteringly odd creative process surrounding that game...usually it's just "I love it" or "I hate it." How dull. Xenogears may unintentionally be pure art, even if it's also possibly the worst-edited RPG ever made. It seems to have been designed by a schizophrenic containing 18 people, or else by a design team of 10 geniuses and 10 otaku, or by moderately good creative types who threw every interesting idea they'd ever come up with at a wall and saw what stuck (everything, unfortunately).

Like, in between the pathetic Eva theft (humans into one godlike being, Elly's needlessly red Asuka hair, totally uncalled-for mechas), there are positively fascinating levels of story design, history, in-game cultures, and everything else, but it's probably got about three game scenarios in one. I own the wonderful Xenogears Perfect Works, which most people just get for the lovely art (and that game had good art), but it's also about a three-hundred page encyclopedia of history, backstory, and culture/world-building I haven't seen the likes of since JRR Tolkien. Unfortunately, reading it there in book form makes a lot more sense than it does on merely one playthrough.

In conclusion, Xenogears is still the best and the worst RPG narrative ever made. Too bad about that awful game engine that came with it.

Ave is still my favorite RPG city EVER, though.

[this message was edited by Maou on Sat 12 Jun 15:52]

HAYATO
983th Post

"Re(1):ode/curse to Xenogears" , posted Sat 12 Jun 18:53post reply

quote:

I'm still in awe of Xenogears and have yet to see anyone write something that even scratches the mindshatteringly odd creative process surrounding that game...usually it's just "I love it" or "I hate it." How dull. Xenogears may unintentionally be pure art, even if it's also possibly the worst-edited RPG ever made. It seems to have been designed by a schizophrenic containing 18 people, or else by a design team of 10 geniuses and 10 otaku, or by moderately good creative types who threw every interesting idea they'd ever come up with at a wall and saw what stuck (everything, unfortunately).

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is Xenogears in a nutshell!!

Damn, you made me remember how badly Xenogears needs a remake, in order to have its structure polished and enhanced...

Oddly enough, the only thing I'd leave out of the game (besides the sewer quest, of course) are the mechas in its entirety. Althoug I'm no big fan of giant robots, I'd have tolerated their inclusion were them used in some specifical points in the game. But, being forced to control them trhoughout the whole game was almost too much for me to bear (although I must admit that stomping Solaris soldiers with Weltall and friends was great fun!!)...

whitesword
1685th Post

"Re(1):ode/curse to Xenogears" , posted Sun 13 Jun 04:48:post reply

quote:
Like, in between the pathetic Eva theft (humans into one godlike being, Elly's needlessly red Asuka hair, totally uncalled-for mechas)

I'll have to stop you right there. Evangelion was not nearly as big an influence/theft source as you might think it was. Things like Maoh Dante, Getter Robo Gou, G Gundam, and others were all probably more influential.

Edit: and the super robots mecha (ugh) were totally necessary since they encompass humanity's origin and past (humanoid form, machine made by an ancestor), will and present (the technology and the pilot), and destiny and future (the old "God or devil" shtick). Without super robots mecha, Xenogears simply wouldn't have been the same.

AND IF YOU DISAGREE WITH ME THEN U R STOOPID!!!1 (please don't disagree)

[this message was edited by whitesword on Sun 13 Jun 05:19]

Pollyanna
2938th Post

"XENOBLAAAAAADE" , posted Sun 13 Jun 19:44post reply

I was going to go on a tirade about the evolution of Monolith's battle system in their later games, Eva influence and robots, but instead I think it would be more interesting if I just posted my Xenoblade impressions.

Haven't played much...got through the first sort of...story arc, but so far so good. Wakamoto is in (and out) in the first five minutes. That's how you start a game!

(excuse me if this information is a bit off, due to my limited experience with the game)

It seems highly influenced by FFXII. It has the same "painted" texture to the renders, the big explorable world, immediate entrance into battles that work in real-time and tons of side quests.

The battle system is somewhere between FFXII and FFXIII, I suppose. No MP (yes!) and no items (YES!). Once you initiate combat, all of your characters auto attack. You control one. Perhaps you can switch later. You have an easy-to-navigate horizontal bar with different icons representing your different skills. You have a lot of them and you can use them all (remember, no MP cost) at the beginning of each fight. Once you use a skill, then it begins to "recharge" (like an online RPG) and you can use it again a varying number of seconds later. The battles are quite fast and since you have a fairly wide variety of skills, you spend little time auto-attacking. Waiting for your heal skill to recharge while your party is dying is really exciting.

Different skills have specific effects/requirements. Some must be done from in front of the enemy, some from behind, some have different ranges, others reduce stats, induce bleeding or cause knock-down. Some enemies must be knocked down before you can damage them...or can only be damaged by a certain kind of weapon...that sort of thing. To add to the chaos in battle, you also have a "unison gauge" which is filled by hitting timed button presses at certain points during the fight. When the gauge is full, you can do a chain of skills where each party member attacks in rapid succession. When a party member runs out of HP, you can revive them, but your "union" gauge is lowered.

Although it's definitely possible to get lost in the madness of battle and you don't have the level of control that some players will demand, the battle system is thoughtful and exciting. Much like a Tales game, using a different character gives you a different experience. My only complaint(?) is that you don't have the overblown super moves that I expect from Monolith games.

The world is rich and full of things to do. The sidequests are initiated from townspeople (usually) and "auto complete" when you're done with them. No annoying trekking back and forth like in FFXII. You collect a lot of "things"...flowers, feathers, whatever...from both enemies and the environment around you. Filling out a full collection of flora and fauna (in something resembling a scrap book) gets you gems to attach to weapons and armor.

There is a crazy number of items in the game. You get tons after every fight. Items to sell, items to collect and assloads of variations on each piece of equipment. I think they overdid it a bit on the equipment (bothersome to equip/wade through), but it makes every fight seem more meaningful. The game keeps you busy and its easy to get sidetracked. In particular, I enjoy the "unique monsters" in each area that give you a wealth of pseudo boss fights to challenge yourself with.

The soundtrack is great. It can't compare to the eerie and epic orchestra tracks in Xenosaga, but as far as Mitsuda works go, it stacks up well against...say...Chrono Cross. It's very strong for a digital soundtrack. Graphics are so-so. The world has a lot of stuff in it, so I feel like their resources were stretched a bit thin. Some of the characters look a bit odd, but I appreciate the non-anime look.

Typical of a Xeno game, I guess, the characters are a bit weak, but the story is interesting. There's a twist very early on and the world is a complete mystery, even to the people living in it. The adversaries (The Kishin troops, I mean) have a eerie and mysterious quality to them. How intelligent are they? Why can't they be harmed? Why do they "consume" humans? Depending on how interesting the answers are, the game could be a stunning success, or fall flat on its face.

So far, the game is showing tremendous potential. Excluding the clogged equipment system and somewhat bland (sometimes ugly) characters, my experience has been overwhelmingly positive. Completionists are going to find themselves easily (and painfully) entangled in the massive web of sidequests, but the average player probably won't be annoyed by missing a few time-specific ones. Even if it turns out to be a stinker, I would immediately recommend it to anyone who thinks that FFXII should've been the evolution of RPGs.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

whitesword
1685th Post

"Re(1):XENOBLAAAAAADE" , posted Mon 14 Jun 23:53post reply

quote:
I was going to go on a tirade about the evolution of Monolith's battle system in their later games, Eva influence and robots, but instead I think it would be more interesting if I just posted my Xenoblade impressions.

Haven't played much...got through the first sort of...story arc, but so far so good. Wakamoto is in (and out) in the first five minutes. That's how you start a game!

(excuse me if this information is a bit off, due to my limited experience with the game)

It seems highly influenced by FFXII. It has the same "painted" texture to the renders, the big explorable world, immediate entrance into battles that work in real-time and tons of side quests.

The battle system is somewhere between FFXII and FFXIII, I suppose. No MP (yes!) and no items (YES!). Once you initiate combat, all of your characters auto attack. You control one. Perhaps you can switch later. You have an easy-to-navigate horizontal bar with different icons representing your different skills. You have a lot of them and you can use them all (remember, no MP cost) at the beginning of each fight. Once you use a skill, then it begins to "recharge" (like an online RPG) and you can use it again a varying number of seconds later. The battles are quite fast and since you have a fairly wide variety of skills, you spend little time auto-attacking. Waiting for your heal skill to recharge while your party is dying is really exciting.

Different skills have specific effects/requirements. Some must be done

-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

Exactly how much interactivity is there with party members? Strategies? Equipment? Customization?

Pollyanna
2939th Post

"Re(2):XENOBLAAAAAADE" , posted Tue 15 Jun 05:29post reply

quote:
Exactly how much interactivity is there with party members? Strategies? Equipment? Customization?

You mean with all party members? Or just the one you're using?

Well, whatever. I'll give you both. You have 6 equipment slots and a disgusting number of variations between the pieces of equipment that go there. Then you have a varying number of gem slots for the individual pieces of equipment. The best way I've found to get gems is to fill up your "scrap book", but I believe you can synthesize them as well.

In terms of your battle skills, you unlock them as you level and you have points to level THEM as well (to increase their damage, chance of causing bad status and recharge time). They max out at like...level 4, but you can buy a book to increase that max to 8...and so on. You can only equip so many at once, but that number is fairly high...enough to keep you doing skills almost constantly. Any more, and you wouldn't be able to navigate the menu.

In addition to your battle skills, you have three different "skill trees" to select from that give you different stat effects (increased speed, better magic). These level up over time, but you can only have one tree equipped at a time, and I don't believe their skills stack.

Then you have some other thing I haven't figured out yet because I was too sleepy when I unlocked it. It's like a skill tree with empty slots that you fill with skill slots from OTHER character's skill trees. Each character has one related to each other character in the party, so they're "relationship" related. They have a lot of "Kizuna" (bonds) things in the game (like character specific conversations you find on the map) that build your relationship and effect how you effect each other in battle.

In battle itself, you only control one person, but you're able to use anyone you like. I believe you're also able to delegate which skills your party members use and don't use. There are some times when you give direct commands, though. Like when you use a unison attack, or when you try to change the future. Uhm...like...it's a plot device, but the main character can tell the future to predict danger...usually someone dying. In battle, you'll have visions of the future where the enemy does fatal damage (or very high) damage to a particular party member. You have so many seconds before it happens, so you can "change the future" by preparing for it. In these instances, if you run to your party members, you can give them an order to better prepare for the oncoming beat down. This doesn't so much make the game easier as it gives them an excuse to make the enemies do especially terrible things. It's more fun than it sounds because (like everything else) it's very fast.

Whew! Anyway, there's a lot to do! I wish the menus were a little more user-friendly, but it's definitely not bad. I also wish I had more time to play the game...it really does seem like a winner.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Nekros
269th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):XENOBLAAAAAADE" , posted Tue 15 Jun 18:15post reply

From what you can see, any hint-quotes-references directly to Xenogears and Xenosaga?

Pollyanna
2941th Post

"Re(4):XENOBLAAAAAADE" , posted Wed 16 Jun 07:07post reply

Still early in the game, but it's been upgraded from "seems to be good" to "almost definitely awesome".

quote:
From what you can see, any hint-quotes-references directly to Xenogears and Xenosaga?

I'm not expecting much, since the game didn't originally have "Xeno" in the title and I'm sure Xenosaga and everything about it is owned by Namco.

Still, I wouldn't be surprised to see a reminiscent mech or hidden boss or something. I'd be thrilled if the voice inside your sword belonged to a Xeno character...hahah.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Maou
2017th Post

"Re(5):XENOBLAAAAAADE" , posted Wed 16 Jun 11:26:post reply

Dammit Polly, in between this and your love for Arc Rise Phantasia, you're going to make it so that the first system I buy post-DS is a Wii, of all things! So very tempted.
quote:
I'd be thrilled if the voice inside your sword belonged to a Xeno character...hahah.

Please make it belong to Hammer.

Why was he in that game? Why were any beastmen in that game?

End of Spoiler

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 16 Jun 12:35]

Pollyanna
2943th Post

"Re(6):XENOBLAAAAAADE" , posted Wed 16 Jun 19:32post reply

Xenoblade update: Still totally awesome. I think I can stop being afraid that it's going to fall apart. Exploration is a blast, sidequests are unusually painless and despite the mediocre renders, the action-packed cinemas are really engrossing. Everything else is blatantly good.

quote:
Dammit Polly, in between this and your love for Arc Rise Phantasia, you're going to make it so that the first system I buy post-DS is a Wii, of all things! So very tempted. I'd be thrilled if the voice inside your sword belonged to a Xeno character...hahah.

Hammer has the fantastic distinction of being my least favorite character in both Xenogears and Xenosaga. Although Saga Hammer was not as blatantly detestable, he was spread over 3 games instead of a portion of one...as such, I can't choose which Hammer I hate more.

Arc Rise is an RPG for RPG fans. It doesn't do much new, but it's rock solid. I enjoyed the characters and plot enough, but more than anything, its boss fights were really incredible. If I made a "top 10 RPG boss fights" list, most of them would be from that game. They simultaneously left me begging for mercy and begging for more almost every time.

Heh...if Last Story turns out good, maybe a Wii wouldn't be such a bad investment! I severely dislike the system...and every time it gets a good exclusive, I wish it was on PS3 or 360 instead. Still, I can't deny that it has at least a few truly excellent games.

Now that I think about it, I guess my favorite DS RPG is DQ9. That system outdoes even the PS2 when it comes to its wealth of mediocre RPGs.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

whitesword
1691th Post

"Re(6):XENOBLAAAAAADE" , posted Wed 16 Jun 20:44post reply

quote:

Beastmen were in Xenogears because..

the people of that world were essentially pieces of Deus, which necessitated that some of them get altered DNA.

End of Spoiler