Bayonetta question - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (5407 Views )

NeoRyu
1138th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Bayonetta question" , posted Tue 29 Dec 02:47post reply

I am wondering what version to get the Xbox360 or PS3 one. I'm assuming that the 360 is the way to go due to the PS3 not being ported well. Any chance the problem has been fixed for the american release? Or just go for Xbox360 one?

Replies:

Toxico
4822th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Bayonetta question" , posted Tue 29 Dec 02:51:post reply

quote:
Or just go for Xbox360 one?

Well, the game was originally developed for 360's specs, and I don't remember hearing about any kind of exclusive different content for any of the versions.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Translation txt currently off line.

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 14 as of 11/12/09

[this message was edited by Toxico on Tue 29 Dec 03:08]

karasu99
251th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):Bayonetta question" , posted Tue 29 Dec 03:40post reply

quote:
Or just go for Xbox360 one?

Well, the game was originally developed for 360's specs, and I don't remember hearing about any kind of exclusive different content for any of the versions.

We discussed here some time back the poor quality of the PS3 version of the demo compared to the 360 one, at least in terms of slowdown. I can't really say if this will translate to the final release, but I would hope that it has been addressed.

Iggy
9028th Post

"Re(1):Bayonetta question" , posted Tue 29 Dec 04:02post reply

If I heard correctly, the American PS3 version seems to suffer from the same problems as the Japanese one.
If you have both machines, I see no reason to pick the PS3 version.

NeoRyu
1139th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(2):Bayonetta question" , posted Tue 29 Dec 04:39post reply

Thanks guys. Wanted to make sure before I ordered my copy. 360 version it is.

Toxico
4822th Post

"Re(3):Bayonetta question" , posted Tue 29 Dec 06:42post reply

Don't mind me, I'm just mentally saving a link for further purposes

Of course, It's not as funny unless you see a zillion of different interpretations previously. Also, consider your life a failure if you can't find Dio dancing around Jotaro.

obscene voodoo dance teleport

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Iron D
3347th Post

"I haz a question!" , posted Tue 29 Dec 20:14post reply

This may sound weird but...are there any sections that deal with insects. You know: giant spiders, giant ants, giant roaches...and insect enemies or insect filled environments?

Er.....

Iggy
9029th Post

"Re(1):I haz a question!" , posted Tue 29 Dec 21:05post reply

quote:
This may sound weird but...are there any sections that deal with insects. You know: giant spiders, giant ants, giant roaches...and insect enemies or insect filled environments?

Spoiler, obviously.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
I can't think of any enemy that's insect-like (or then you have an extremely broad definition of what's an insect).
BUG. I mean, BUT.
The finishing moves, where Bayonetta summons a giant monster from hell to eat the enemy angel, sometimes involve insects. One of them is a centipede, that rolls itself around a spheric enemy and crushes it to death.
The other one is a giant fire spider (wink to DMC) that you summon against the biggest enemy of the game (save for the final boss). It eat the opponent's face several times before the enemy falls into a spider web, where you notice that the giant spider was actually a BABY giant spider, and a dozen of its siblings arrive and feast on the opponent while mother GIANT GIANT spider watches and cheers.
All you have to do during these sequences is to hit one button as fast as possible to add more gigaton of pressure and gain more bonus (but I think you can just close your eyes and wait until it's over.

Oh, but if you're particularly scared of spiders, the fight might be a bit difficult for you : the first step involves the enemy scared of the spider and fleeing, but then Bayonetta grabs it by the wings and forcefully drags it to the spider, so and you have to control it and crush its resistance to feed it to spider-chan.

End of Spoiler

Who said "over-the-top"?

Iron D
3349th Post

"Re(2):I haz a question!" , posted Wed 30 Dec 07:33post reply

quote:

Spoiler, obviously.

Who said "over-the-top"?

I think I can handle that. Thanks, Iggy.

Unfortunately, not having and Xbox (and the PS3 I play isn't even mine) I'll have to go for that version.

I'm sold on the game, and I have mostly MMCafe to thank for it. Don't have the cash for it quite yet...maybe when it gets cheap on Amazon.

Er.....

Ishmael
3655th Post

"Re(3):I haz a question!" , posted Fri 8 Jan 01:03post reply

Useless fact about me: I do push-ups during load times on video games. Staring at the "NOW LOADING" reminds me that I'm not only doing something non-physical when playing a game but I'm waiting for the chance to do something that isn't active. To get out of that spiral I hop to the floor and do a quick bit of exercising. Thanks to the PS3 version of Bayonetta I'm going to get plenty of push-ups done.

So far I'm loving Bayonetta with the execption of the QTE events. Those things have been the bane of action games since Shenmue and there's seems to be no escaping them. After the success of God of War I suppose there's no escaping this aspect of gameplay but in GoW when you screwed up a QTE it usually just meant that Kratos fell on his ass and would have to try again. Bayonetta seems to have a lot of instant-death QTE's where one mistake sends me to the game over screen and more push-ups. Hopefully that sort of gameplay will lessen in later levels or I will get better at playing because right now I'm unhappy with all this screen hopping that is pulling me out of the game.

Maou
1885th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"pump you up" , posted Fri 8 Jan 12:32post reply

quote:
Useless fact about me: I do push-ups during load times on video games.

Heheheh. I feel like if I'd done this in PS1 days I'd have the hugest arms imaginable. If I did it for FF IX or the horrid PS port of SFZero2, I'd look (more?!) like I was from Chou Aniki.

Sometimes I do ab exercises in my room while the Sonic Rush soundtrack plays.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Burning Ranger
1630th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Another Question" , posted Fri 8 Jan 12:58post reply

Here's another question...does the full game link somehow to the "First Climax" demo? Does having played the demo unlock something in the full game? Wondering if I should clear the demo off my X360 drive.

So much to do so little time...

Grave
1278th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(4):I haz a question!" , posted Fri 8 Jan 13:10post reply

quote:
Useless fact about me: I do push-ups during load times on video games. Staring at the "NOW LOADING" reminds me that I'm not only doing something non-physical when playing a game but I'm waiting for the chance to do something that isn't active. To get out of that spiral I hop to the floor and do a quick bit of exercising. Thanks to the PS3 version of Bayonetta I'm going to get plenty of push-ups done.

That's pretty much the opposite of my loading activities! Every time Snake lit up while installing a new segment of MGS4, I took it as a cue to step out on the back porch and do the same. Since it seems that circumstances may have forced me to quit smoking in the last few weeks and I'm okay enough now that I don't feel the need to start again, maybe pushups are the solution!

Tai-Pan
412th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):I haz a question!" , posted Sat 9 Jan 06:25post reply

quote:

That's pretty much the opposite of my loading activities! Every time Snake lit up while installing a new segment of MGS4, I took it as a cue to step out on the back porch and do the same. Since it seems that circumstances may have forced me to quit smoking in the last few weeks and I'm okay enough now that I don't feel the need to start again, maybe pushups are the solution!

I feel you

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Iggy
9044th Post

"Re(1):Another Question" , posted Sat 9 Jan 19:34post reply

quote:
Here's another question...does the full game link somehow to the "First Climax" demo? Does having played the demo unlock something in the full game? Wondering if I should clear the demo off my X360 drive.

Nothing that I'm aware of. If I recall correctly, the demo is just the first and 3rd level, shortened, and that's it. Nothing to unlock.

karasu99
263th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):Another Question" , posted Sun 10 Jan 03:34post reply

Because I'm always the last person to play this kind of game, I finally played the Bayonetta demo for the first time today, and I'm glad to report that I'm just as impressed as the cafe led me to believe I would be.

At first I was concerned because it's really really hard starting out to have any idea what's going on or where you are-- this was especially apparent in the very first part of the demo, where you're falling through the sky on top of a clock. I kept getting hit because from my point of view Bayonetta herself was super tiny and surrounded by enemies. But on my second playthrough of the demo (how long since I've played through a demo TWICE?) I had much less of a problem.

So, I think that means I'll have to go out and buy it today. My wife is away for the week, I've only got one project to code for work at the moment, and I've got 13 bottles of homebrew nama sake to drink; that means I will have plenty of time for a game that actually seems exciting to me. Thanks everyone for recommending this game!

Maou
1886th Post

"Re(3):Another Question" , posted Sun 10 Jan 04:20post reply

quote:
(how long since I've played through a demo TWICE?)
The proper answer is: Final Fantasy VIII
quote:

My wife is away for the week, I've only got one project to code for work at the moment, and I've got 13 bottles of homebrew nama sake to drink
This sounds like the perfect plan, right down to the vaguely subversive feeling of a wife being away while you goof around with Bayonetta and her strangely small head. I sort of want to play this, and I haven't played a game like this since...Devil May Cry 1?!

karasu99
264th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(4):Another Question" , posted Sun 10 Jan 15:36post reply

quote:
This sounds like the perfect plan, right down to the vaguely subversive feeling of a wife being away while you goof around with Bayonetta and her strangely small head. I sort of want to play this, and I haven't played a game like this since...Devil May Cry 1?!

Yes, well, now that you mention it, it did sound somewhat sketchy, didn't it? I assure you nothing untoward is occurring. Truthfully, it's strangely easy for me to slip into full hikikomori mode when I have the house to myself.

So after a truly epic journey around my city, I finally turned up a single copy of Bayonetta for X360. Oddly enough, most places had at least a few copies of it for PS3, but I've heard enough about the lag in that version that I decided to avoid it.

First impressions: yeah, it's a really, really good game, with with not just beautiful but well crafted graphics, and excellent music (the Outrun music during the early car scene was a great touch). It's like Devil May Cry, but how they SHOULD have been making the sequels.

More than anything else, it makes me really happy to see that someone is still bothering to make games this well for the PS3/X360.

Pollyanna
2826th Post

"Re(4):I haz a question!" , posted Sun 10 Jan 18:44post reply

I'm glad to see other people enjoying Bayonetta as well as the PS3 getting the (relative) scorn it deserves.

quote:

This is a fantastic idea! I used to do small weights between fights in...jeez...it must've been DOA4, I guess. Thank you for unwittingly reminding me to start that again!

I'm afraid light weights are all I can manage, though, since I'm almost always overdressed for exercise (even when I have no one to impress).

Pointless fact about me: Even when I lose to someone online, I'm probably still dressed for success!

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Spoon
1875th Post

"Re(5):I haz a question!" , posted Mon 11 Jan 03:54post reply

quote:
I'm glad to see other people enjoying Bayonetta as well as the PS3 getting the (relative) scorn it deserves.

This is a fantastic idea! I used to do small weights between fights in...jeez...it must've been DOA4, I guess. Thank you for unwittingly reminding me to start that again!

I'm afraid light weights are all I can manage, though, since I'm almost always overdressed for exercise (even when I have no one to impress).

Pointless fact about me: Even when I lose to someone online, I'm probably still dressed for success!

Tell us what you're wearing right now

Maou
1887th Post

"Re(6):I haz a question!" , posted Mon 11 Jan 04:17post reply

quote:

I'm wearing a fundoshi, I don't know about you

hopefully that defused the situation

Ishmael
3657th Post

"Re(7):I haz a question!" , posted Mon 11 Jan 04:53post reply

I find myself wishing there was more English language discussion about the combo and scoring system in Bayonetta and less about console differences and GameFAQS-style posts along the lines of "I dun like playng as girls!" but what can you do?

I also wish that the folks at Platinum Games -or whatever it's called this week- would calm down a bit on their love of meandering mini-games. But considering these are the same people who put a casnio in God Hand for no good reason that's never going to happen either.

quote:

hopefully that defused the situation

It probably heightened it.

Pollyanna
2827th Post

"Re(6):I haz a question!" , posted Mon 11 Jan 05:10post reply

quote:

A Bayonetta costume, obviously. The only choice for staying around the house and typing at the computer all day.

quote:

This made my day. I thought I was the only person who ever brought up fundoshi. I can't say I work them into a conversation every DAY, but at LEAST once a week. Perhaps I should wear one too, so that the fundoshi is implied at all times without me actually making jokes about it.

quote:
I also wish that the folks at Platinum Games -or whatever it's called this week- would calm down a bit on their love of meandering mini-games.

Are you referring to the after-level bonus stage or the shooting levels? My only complaint with those is that they didn't get their own chapters, in case you want to relive the part of the chapter that isn't like a different game. At least they didn't put any Alfheim portals on those levels, so you don't have to bother with that if you're going back for a "complete" run.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Spoon
1876th Post

"Re(7):I haz a question!" , posted Mon 11 Jan 05:23post reply

quote:

A Bayonetta costume, obviously. The only choice for staying around the house and typing at the computer all day.

Is it made out of hair?

quote:

This made my day. I thought I was the only person who ever brought up fundoshi. I can't say I work them into a conversation every DAY, but at LEAST once a week. Perhaps I should wear one too, so that the fundoshi is implied at all times without me actually making jokes about it.

An important question is whether or not it is the type that has the additional flap on the front. There's so much that can be done with that! It could look like a mesh screen door, or have a gothic door mount, or whatever else you want.

I can't say that there aren't loincloth jokes around here.

quote:

I also wish that the folks at Platinum Games -or whatever it's called this week- would calm down a bit on their love of meandering mini-games.

Are you referring to the after-level bonus stage or the shooting levels? My only complaint with those is that they didn't get their own chapters, in case you want to relive the part of the chapter that isn't like a different game. At least they didn't put any Alfheim portals on those levels, so you don't have to bother with that if you're going back for a "complete" run.

It'd be nice if they had a mini-game gallery just for fun. Truth to be told, me and my friends spent a stupid amount of time playing the poker game in God Hand... and it wasn't even all that special of a poker game!

karasu99
265th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(8):I haz a question!" , posted Mon 11 Jan 07:33post reply

quote:

Is it made out of hair?

You know, the spit-take is overrated. Especially when you're the one it's happening to. At least it wasn't a discussion of a fundoshi made out of hair. Now I'm just grossing myself out.

quote:
I find myself wishing there was more English language discussion about the combo and scoring system in Bayonetta and less about console differences and GameFAQS-style posts along the lines of "I dun like playng as girls!" but what can you do?

Gamefaqs boards will always be filled by a crowd that thinks their personal opinion on something like that matters to every other person reading it. We could, you know, always discuss these sorts of things here, you know. I'll start! I'm really impressed with the complexity of the combo system. I feel like I can't possibly have scratched the surface of the combo system, and I wish the little loading screen combo list was accessible from elsewhere as a 'practice' mode-- have I just missed it?

And I like the shooting mini-game. I suck pretty badly at it, but I appreciate it. I like the music a lot.

My only disappointment so far is how weak you start out, compared to how you're buffed up to start in the demo.

Iggy
9046th Post

"Re(9):I haz a question!" , posted Mon 11 Jan 07:51post reply

quote:
I wish the little loading screen combo list was accessible from elsewhere as a 'practice' mode-- have I just missed it?

Press select during the loadings: you will be in full practice mode until you press select again.

Grave
1281th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(9):I haz a question!" , posted Mon 11 Jan 08:18post reply

quote:
At least it wasn't a discussion of a fundoshi made out of hair.

I hate you.

Iron D
3360th Post

"Re(10):I haz a question!" , posted Mon 11 Jan 15:42post reply

I'm sure that by now some of you have seen the American commercial for Bayonetta. Damn, the music in that commercial is TERRIBLE. Well, not necessarily the music itself...it's the vocals. That women CANNOT sing.

Oh, and I don't give a damn about monster hair. I still find Bayonetta herself to be sexy as all hell. Definitely one of the hottest video game females of all time.

Er.....

karasu99
266th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):I haz a question!" , posted Tue 12 Jan 01:19post reply

First, thank you Iggy for giving me the practice mode I was looking for!
quote:
I hate you.

Ha. I couldn't resist.
quote:
Oh, and I don't give a damn about monster hair. I still find Bayonetta herself to be sexy as all hell. Definitely one of the hottest video game females of all time.

One thing is for sure-- they've got the sexiness down, really. I think they've created a particular sort of aesthetic that... well, sexy doesn't especially encapsulate it. I think the hair (no gross-out intended) is an integral part of it. Let's say the game has a specific mood that they don't ever (so far at least) deviate from. I'm impressed that they managed to pull it off so well, and I hope that it ends up being a pretty good hit for Sega and Platinum in the US.

Iggy
9047th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):I haz a question!" , posted Tue 12 Jan 02:20post reply

quote:
One thing is for sure-- they've got the sexiness down, really. I think they've created a particular sort of aesthetic that... well, sexy doesn't especially encapsulate it. I think the hair (no gross-out intended) is an integral part of it. Let's say the game has a specific mood that they don't ever (so far at least) deviate from. I'm impressed that they managed to pull it off so well

It's called "being gay". Don't worry, you get used to it pretty fast usually.

nate
979th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(2):Re(10):I haz a question!" , posted Wed 13 Jan 11:01post reply

quote:
I'm sure that by now some of you have seen the American commercial for Bayonetta. Damn, the music in that commercial is TERRIBLE. Well, not necessarily the music itself...it's the vocals. That women CANNOT sing.

La Roux (featured vocals in commercial) is actually rather good. so nyah.

ワンダフル! ビューティフル! エキサイティング!

Iggy
9048th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):I haz a question!" , posted Wed 13 Jan 20:49post reply

quote:

Of course, Kitsuné records FTW.
Problem is, with this commercial, they are ruining both the game AND the singer. Way to go, Sega.

Iron D
3361th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):I haz a question!" , posted Thu 14 Jan 02:49post reply

quote:

But she just CAN'T sing! It's at the point where I have to change the channel every time the commercial comes on!

Er.....

Toxico
4840th Post

"The first thing this thread should have done." , posted Thu 14 Jan 02:59:post reply

..... Is this

and this

Obscene voodoo dance teleport

EDIT : I'M BAYONETTA ... funny what washes off to your shore by simply googling the soundtrack.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

[this message was edited by Toxico on Thu 14 Jan 04:18]

karasu99
270th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):The first thing this thread should have" , posted Thu 14 Jan 06:10:post reply

Don't think this has been posted already, but looking around on the Japanese Bayonetta blog turned up the Platinum Games Flickr page, with some nice images. I wonder if the tumbling doll from the chapter page will be made available sometime.

EDIT: I'm looking at those two X360/PS3 comparisons and... I don't notice too much difference. But perhaps it's just my so-so monitor (or so-so eyes).

[this message was edited by karasu99 on Thu 14 Jan 06:20]

Mozex
397th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):The first thing this thread should have" , posted Thu 14 Jan 12:45post reply

quote:
I'm looking at those two X360/PS3 comparisons and... I don't notice too much difference. But perhaps it's just my so-so monitor (or so-so eyes).

The texture quality on the 360 version looks better. It appears that the 360 has slightly better lighting as well.

I didn't notice the slowdown/choppiness I've heard about on the PS3 version.

Be kind to goblins.

Toxico
4840th Post

"Re(3):The first thing this thread should have" , posted Thu 14 Jan 12:49post reply

quote:

They are most likely present in some insane, intense almost Iggy ~ like orgy action scenes that the game is likely to have.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Iggy
9049th Post

"Re(4):The first thing this thread should have" , posted Thu 14 Jan 18:24post reply

quote:
They are most likely present in some insane, intense almost Iggy ~ like orgy action scenes that the game is likely to have.

There's a few sequences where you make the level shift by poledancing around the axis of that particular world, which rotate in 2 seconds on 360 and 15 on PS3.

Ishmael
3658th Post

"Re(5):The first thing this thread should have" , posted Fri 15 Jan 01:21post reply

Hmm, a jump cancel combo. I'm not certain you're supposed to be able to do that but it seems like it could be useful.

hikarutilmitt
526th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):Re(10):I haz a question!" , posted Fri 15 Jan 07:50post reply

quote:
But she just CAN'T sing! It's at the point where I have to change the channel every time the commercial comes on!

Glad to know I'm not the only one. Her vocals just sound incredibly flat in the commercial. That and the commercial itself just doesn't seem right for the game, somehow.

justicekyo
705th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(3):The first thing this thread should have" , posted Fri 15 Jan 10:33post reply

quote:
I'm looking at those two X360/PS3 comparisons and... I don't notice too much difference. But perhaps it's just my so-so monitor (or so-so eyes).

The texture quality on the 360 version looks better. It appears that the 360 has slightly better lighting as well.

well, it was programmed on 360 then ported over. so the ps3 version suffers somewhat because of it

Evenor
709th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(4):Welcome to my fantasy zone" , posted Fri 15 Jan 16:01:post reply

I just beat this game and I had a blast! Bayonetta is the best game I've played in a while. Her attitude is just so bad-ass! . Despite the loading times, the game really shines. Beating each boss felt so satisfying and the amount of ridiculous stuff shown never stops. I wish more games were like this!

Also, I did giggle at hearing Jeanne's taunt. P* games should make a branching off series with Jeanne as a lead.

drink from me and live forever

[this message was edited by Evenor on Fri 15 Jan 16:06]

Iron D
3362th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):I haz a question!" , posted Fri 15 Jan 18:52post reply

quote:

Glad to know I'm not the only one. Her vocals just sound incredibly flat in the commercial. That and the commercial itself just doesn't seem right for the game, somehow.

I noticed that the American commercial doesn't show very much actual gameplay. Those crazy summons and combos that you can do? Totally absent from the American commercial. Just small snippets of the cutscenes and some text. Pretty lame.

The level of sexuality the game has is absent from the commercial, too. It's like the opposite of the Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball commercial (you know...the "she kicks high" one). The DoA commercial totally threw the game's sexuality in your face in an attempt to sell the game that way. In the case of the American Bayonetta commercial, you'd think that Bayonetta displays less sexuality than Lara Croft did in the original Tomb Raider.

Er.....

Burning Ranger
1632th Post

"My Opinion, so far..." , posted Sat 16 Jan 13:03post reply

...in case anyone wants to hear it.

I like the game. The platforming elements are good, as are the graphics (X360 version anyway). I like the giant bosses. However, actual gameplay is frustrating and while it isn't necessarily bad, it can be boring at times (or maybe I'm just being repetitive with my combos).

However, I do like how this game oozes awesome style and pop culture references. Sure, it's raunchy, and insanely violent. All it needs is Clive Owen and Paul Giamatti. Or maybe not...

ALso, I like all the references to other video games and pop culture, including...

God Hand
Resident Evil 4
Outrun
Army of Darkness/Evil Dead
Apocalypse Now

End of Spoiler

Burning Ranger
1633th Post

"Moar..." , posted Sun 17 Jan 08:09post reply

Just finished the game's story mode. Not skilled at this game at all--mostly stone trophies.

Is that a version of the "Rent-A-Hero" theme I hear?

Also...

SPACE HARRIER!!!!

End of Spoiler

Nekros
221th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):Moar..." , posted Sun 17 Jan 19:52post reply

quote:
Just finished the game's story mode. Not skilled at this game at all--mostly stone trophies.

Is that a version of the "Rent-A-Hero" theme I hear?

Also...

There are

Afterburner, Space Harrier and Outrun remixes

End of Spoiler

for what I know.
Bought the game yesterday. Is good but the scores given by magazines and websites are too high imho.

Ishmael
3677th Post

"Re(2):Moar..." , posted Thu 4 Feb 04:10post reply

quote:
Bought the game yesterday. Is good but the scores given by magazines and websites are too high imho.

It's funny, the longer I spent with Bayonetta, the less happy I was with the game. From that god-awful Space Harrier level to the end the game felt like a chore. This was not the feeling I wanted to have when the game was supposed to be reaching its peak. Perhaps it's just me. I loved the combat engine and all I really wanted was to come across areas in the game where I could cut loose on rooms full of bad guys. Instead, the game seems far more interested in making me sit in a turret or stopping the action to run a cut scene. While I want to put more time into Bayonetta I've instead put it aside for the time being until I can reconcile the differences between what I want the game to be and what it actually delivers. Bayonetta and I seem to want different things out of our relationship.

Iggy
9056th Post

"Re(3):Moar..." , posted Thu 4 Feb 06:33post reply

quote:
Instead, the game seems far more interested in making me sit in a turret or stopping the action to run a cut scene. While I want to put more time into Bayonetta I've instead put it aside for the time being until I can reconcile the differences between what I want the game to be and what it actually delivers. Bayonetta and I seem to want different things out of our relationship.

For me, the worst moment in Bayonetta, worse than the awful Space Harrier and the annoying-but-OK Hang On, was the Turret thing.
It is not only boring as hell and far too long (and against a recycled enemy), but it also happens in the worse possible moment: the climax of the game.
If the turret thing hadn't been there, I would have enjoyed the end much, much more.
But the final boss made up for it <3
And the credits <3
And the dance <3
And the hard mode <3
And all the other stuff left to unlock <3

Badoor
107th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Moar..." , posted Thu 4 Feb 21:58post reply

I really like Bayonetta for many of the same reasons said and I need to play hard mode and unlock more stuff. But I wish that the story made sense. I'm usually all for bullshitty expositiony long anime cutscenes (see Metal Gear) but here it didn't make any sense at all.
Also there wasn't enough Joe Pesci.

Burning Ranger
1635th Post

"No More Heroes 2" , posted Fri 12 Feb 06:10post reply

And now to segue toward a similar game...

Why is no one talking about No More Heroes 2? I just finished the game yesterday. In ways, its better and poorer than the first game (in my opinion of course). I did miss the open world exploration from the first game, and the ending was a little meh for my tastes...

But this game oozes style. It had bosses you could only find in a video game like this. Plus, all the 8-bit homages. And the humor! Oh wow...

One question for NMH fans: did Suda 51 take some of inspiration from Metal Gear Solid? I can count at least 2 bosses and one stage (with sneaking) that seemed right out of MGS. Not to mention the narrator before the game even starts.

Oh yeah, one more thing:

Takashi Miike is a "Guest Voice."

End of Spoiler

Talk about this game, dammit!

Iggy
9058th Post

"Re(1):No More Heroes 2" , posted Fri 12 Feb 08:18post reply

quote:

No.
quote:
Why is no one talking about No More Heroes 2?
Because NMH is the antithesis of everything cool and classy.

Pollyanna
2849th Post

"Re(1):No More Heroes 2" , posted Fri 12 Feb 12:27post reply

quote:

Why is no one talking about No More Heroes 2? I just finished the game yesterday. In ways, its better and poorer than the first game (in my opinion of course). I did miss the open world exploration from the first game, and the ending was a little meh for my tastes...

But this game oozes style. It had bosses you could only find in a video game like this. Plus, all the 8-bit homages. And the humor! Oh wow...

One question for NMH fans: did Suda 51 take some of inspiration from Metal Gear Solid? I can count at least 2 bosses and one stage (with sneaking) that seemed right out of MGS. Not to mention the narrator before the game even starts.

Oh yeah, one more thing:

Talk about this game, dammit!

I mentioned it in another topic, but I thought the game wasn't too hot. LOVED the soundtrack and the character designs, though. It was always fun seeing who you were going to fight next.

The game just wasn't as good as it tried to be. The battle system had enough little complexities, but not enough situations to properly utilize them. The boss battles were clever on paper, but when you plugged them into the game engine, they were more frustrating than fun. The assassins needed at least a little more backstory, the plot was too straightforward and the ending as you said, was "meh."

I definitely agree that there was some Metal Gear in there, as well as a blatant Silent Hill "tribute" on some of the songs.

Also...

I didn't realize that Takashi Miike was playing himself...or rather, I didn't realize that was HIM until I won the game and saw the credits. Knowing that, the scene he was in had a bit of a different meaning.

End of Spoiler

All in all, I felt like the game was a bunch of fun ideas that came together in a half-assed manner. Like they shot too high and it just didn't work out. I guess it wasn't totally awful, since I could actually tolerate it after Bayonetta.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Spoon
1893th Post

"Re(2):No More Heroes 2" , posted Fri 12 Feb 13:46post reply

quote:
Bayonetta.

I can't say I'm surprised at how much I want to play it.

Burning Ranger
1636th Post

"Re(3):No More Heroes 2" , posted Fri 12 Feb 21:30post reply

quote:
Bayonetta.

I can't say I'm surprised at how much I want to play it.

Trying to imagine playing that with "Fly Me to the Moon" as the BGM...for ALL stages.

karasu99
286th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):No More Heroes 2" , posted Sat 13 Feb 04:14post reply

quote:
LOVED the soundtrack and the character designs, though. It was always fun seeing who you were going to fight next.

VERY VERY glad to hear the soundtrack is good-- I was hoping it would be after the incredible OST for the first game, and the amazingly good OST in Killer 7. There's nothing worse than when a sequel's soundtrack sucks compared to the original.

I've promised myself that I won't buy this until after I finish Bayonetta though (soon, I'm getting close!). Okay, so maybe it won't be great, but like the first game, it will be at least distracting and goofy, with an interesting art style.

Pollyanna
2852th Post

"Re(3):No More Heroes 2" , posted Sat 13 Feb 04:59post reply

quote:

VERY VERY glad to hear the soundtrack is good-- I was hoping it would be after the incredible OST for the first game, and the amazingly good OST in Killer 7. There's nothing worse than when a sequel's soundtrack sucks compared to the original.

I've promised myself that I won't buy this until after I finish Bayonetta though (soon, I'm getting close!). Okay, so maybe it won't be great, but like the first game, it will be at least distracting and goofy, with an interesting art style.

The soundtrack kicks the first game's soundtrack in the teeth. More variety and much MORE music altogether, including a lot of fun 8-bit songs. It really is one of the best game soundtracks I've heard.

I can't possibly recommend playing the game immediately after Bayonetta, though. I put a month between the two and NMH2 still felt sloppy. Also, you can win the game in a single day, so you might want to consider renting instead of buying and investing the money in the soundtrack instead (if you're on a budget at least).

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Burning Ranger
1638th Post

"Re(4):No More Heroes 2" , posted Mon 15 Feb 01:13post reply

quote:

The soundtrack kicks the first game's soundtrack in the teeth. More variety and much MORE music altogether, including a lot of fun 8-bit songs. It really is one of the best game soundtracks I've heard.

I think NMH2 uses some tracks from the NMH "Dark Side" soundtrack...at least that's what I read somewhere.

Also, one of the songs that's annoying and was stuck in my head so long was the "Reaper Reaper" song. Then again, it fits that boss battle so well.

karasu99
287th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(5):Bayonetta DONE" , posted Mon 15 Feb 09:52post reply

quote:

I think NMH2 uses some tracks from the NMH "Dark Side" soundtrack...at least that's what I read somewhere.

So, I finished Bayonetta yesterday while in a bloodlust over a particularly close deadline I have this week coming up. Great game, ultimately, but what was up with those few recycled bosses toward the end? Also, the last two bosses--WAAAY too easy.

As for NMH2 soundtrack, sadly it's not out, but then it looks like the game isn't out yet in Japan even. If they have used tracks from the Dark Side OST, I'm hoping the excellent remix of Pure White Giant Glastonbury is on there.

A coworker who is playing the game tells me that the minigames all have an 8-bit-esque look this time around. Anyone care to comment?

Burning Ranger
1640th Post

"Re(6):Bayonetta DONE" , posted Mon 15 Feb 11:06post reply

quote:

A coworker who is playing the game tells me that the minigames all have an 8-bit-esque look this time around. Anyone care to comment?

Yes...

When you go to a side mission, the screen cuts to black, you hear a cartridge being put into a machine (sometimes, you hear someone blowing into the cartridge before the game is inserted).

Then, you see 8-bit text scroll up from the bottom. Basically, the side missions are mini-games done in the style of 8-bit (NES?) games. The only problem is that it doesn't switch to the classic controller setting on the Wiimote--you continue to use both Wiimote and nunchaku.

End of Spoiler

karasu99
297th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(7):Bayonetta DONE" , posted Wed 24 Feb 05:00:post reply

Despite everyone's warnings, started playing NMH2 only a week after finishing Bayonetta, and I think... well, I think my expectations still weren't that great for NMH2, so it doesn't seem too awful after how well done Bayonetta was.

I have a few gripes so far though that I thought those playing the game may want to discuss.

First, the tone just isn't the same as the first game. For instance, one of the things I love about NMH (and Killer 7 before it) is the use of weirdly modulated voice acting (sometimes combined with poor English). Maybe I'm the only one who misses this. Also, the action is broken up all the time by cutscenes, but that's more of a problem with games in general now-- Bayonetta had it a bit too, but was more seamless in how it was implemented. This time, you get Travis's stupid grin with a rotating star mark over it.

Gameplay basically hasn't changed, which is fine by me. The minigames are a blast-- and almost more fun than the main game in some ways. Polly, I agree with you regarding the soundtrack-- simply perfect. I even like the new Bizarre Jelly game, even though it's not as good as PWGG in the first game.

So yes, generally good, but I'm hoping it gets weirder later on. It's odd that both the soundtrack and the JP region version have not come out yet.

[this message was edited by karasu99 on Wed 24 Feb 05:11]