Dissidia: FF question+general thread - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1677 Views )

badoor
80th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Occasional Customer

"Dissidia: FF question+general thread" , posted Wed 26 Aug 09:31post reply

It has been getting a lot of positivity from many reviews and I've been interested in it (although I am equally interested in persona for psp).
The problem is that as a person who only finished FFVII:Crisis Core a know some story stuff about FFVII and FFVIII through general internet noise (just like how many people know a lot about star wars or star trek even if they haven't seen a single movie/episode), will the game hold by itself as a fun fighting/rpg/brawler even if I'm not that engrossed in the FF series?
If not then I probably would skip it till it drops in price and pick up Persona instead as my PSP is in dire need for some games, plus Atlus games are much harder to find months after release than square enix. I'm also not sure about whether Squenix and Atlus would put downloadable versions of their games on PSN in the near future so for now they seem UMD only.

Replies:

Pollyanna
2748th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Dissidia: FF question+general thread" , posted Wed 26 Aug 09:52post reply

I would say the plot is the worst part of Dissidia (maybe the only really bad part?), so from that perspective at least, the less you know the better. I grudgingly tolerated the (excessive, idiotic, repetitive) cinemas for a while, but eventually just started skipping them.

The game certainly has enough merits to stand on its own, but it's so obviously aimed at FF fans that it's a bit hard for me to recommend it if you've only played one game.

But if it looks interesting to you (and the battle system looks appealing), regardless of what its based off of, I would still recommend it, I guess.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

HAYATO
931th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(2):Dissidia: FF question+general thread" , posted Wed 16 Sep 23:43post reply

AVOID IT LIKE THE PLAGUE.

When I started playing it after all the "OMG, PSP game of teh year, man!!!" racket and fully realized what the game really consisted of, I felt insulted, offended in such an intimate and agravating way that I considered to drop it on the spot. In case you are unfamiliar with the system, just think of it as a FF-themed Psychic Force, with some pseudo-RPG elements crammed in and a "nice, intuitive and versatile" (please, notice the sarcasm) checkered map, where the main events and fights unfold.

Oh, and the fights!! A wonderful system, indeed. Too bad that there are so few movements available for each character, and even fewer of them can be equipped at once (3 ground + 3 air for each attack category). In order to solve this, you'll have to GRIND LIKE HELL, battling minions (geared with a pretty nasty AI, so expect to die A LOT) again and again, using the same attack pattern ad nauseam, until you are granted a new movement or ability.

Talking about minions, I suspect the nature of them is what the game draws its title from. While you may encounter some bosses (Sephiroth, Kefka and the rest) in the checkered board (represented as a special totem) the vast majority of your fights will be against what seems to be some knight-like minions in the map. Much to my surprise (and disgust), once the battle begins, you are always confronted by a randomly, one-colored doppelganger of any of the main characters (good or evil). Think of a random character with the hue of Dr.Manhattan or the Pink Panther and you'll get the gist of it. Truly, a game born from Dissidia.

The plot is bland and uninspiring, full of the crap Nomura keeps feeding to the fans since Kingdom Hearts (perhaps earlier) and they love so much. You know, all that repetitive stuff about people being alone, the importance of friendship, etc ("OMG, feel the mature themes!!"). Of course, you'll have no cue on what's going on if you aren't a RABID fan of the series (such is my case), and you'll feel overwhelmed by the intertwining storylines (just in case you are willing to play the game with more than a single character, something I wouldn't suggest not even to my worst enemy).

Hell, at least we PSP users have the chance to test games before buying them. If I'm so pissed off by a game I got for free, I can't imagine what would have been my reaction had this game pop up on, say, PS3...

PS: Forget my sloppy english and my poor grammar, this text was born from a burst of passion which blinded my senses. Besides, this game doesn't deserve a much more elaborated review...

karasu99
211th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):Dissidia: FF question+general thread" , posted Fri 18 Sep 04:31post reply

quote:
AVOID IT LIKE THE PLAGUE.

Funny, I was just about to post about how it isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I agree Hayato on many of your points, but I've been taking great advantage of the 'always skip cutscenes' setting to avoid the loathsome story pieces.

But overall, I've liked the game. I am enjoying the upgradeable skills, the fighting engine (even if it is a little simpleminded in some ways), and the little details that I've noticed so far (like how many of the characters are very close to the Amano art-- right down to the poses, like Onion Knight's ninja EX attack, which is very close to FFIII's original Famicom packaging).

So yeah, it's got problems, but overall pretty good and distracting.

KTallguy
1151th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(4):Dissidia: FF question+general thread" , posted Fri 18 Sep 08:53post reply

I really enjoyed it for the first month or so, but burnt out quickly on it. There is a ton of repetition, and the story is horrible, but the fighting engine and the moves are fun to collect.

The biggest problem that I have with this game is the grinding aspect for multiplayer. In order to be competitive in any way whatsoever, you have to grind and grind for items, and it's lame. Also you get to the point where you can chain brave attacks into HP attacks, and that is also lame, because it kills the entire strategy of the game.

But I think it's worth a look.
There is a demo on the internets that you can download to your PSP and mess around with. Why not try that ?

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

Pollyanna
2753th Post

"Re(5):Dissidia: FF question+general thread" , posted Fri 18 Sep 09:23post reply

I think Hayato's complains are reasonable if you're expecting a fighting game out of it and as KTallkguy said, Vs is a mess. It's nice and all to show off your high level or interesting combination of items, but I'd rather have an option for a more balanced "normal" fighting game experience underneath that.

Still, all of my friends were intimidated by the game, so I didn't have anyone to play it with anyway. The game gives you so many little things to do that unless you severely dislike the engine, it makes for a fun overall experience.

I never really felt like I was "grinding" (just "playing the game") because there were so many different things to do and I relished the battles where I would bite off more than I could chew, struggle like crazy, then level up a tremendous amount at the end. That isn't "grinding" to me, it's "challenging myself".

The battles never stopped looking cool to me, either. The characters come together in such a cinematic fashion...everything looks nice without making you sit through any lengthy animations. I thought it would get old after a while, but I never stopped chuckling at how good some things looked.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

HAYATO
935th Post

"Re(6):Dissidia: FF question+general thread" , posted Fri 18 Sep 10:39post reply

quote:
I think Hayato's complains are reasonable if you're expecting a fighting game out of it and as KTallkguy said, Vs is a mess. It's nice and all to show off your high level or interesting combination of items, but I'd rather have an option for a more balanced "normal" fighting game experience underneath that.

Still, all of my friends were intimidated by the game, so I didn't have anyone to play it with anyway. The game gives you so many little things to do that unless you severely dislike the engine, it makes for a fun overall experience.

I never really felt like I was "grinding" (just "playing the game") because there were so many different things to do and I relished the battles where I would bite off more than I could chew, struggle like crazy, then level up a tremendous amount at the end. That isn't "grinding" to me, it's "challenging myself".

The battles never stopped looking cool to me, either. The characters come together in such a cinematic fashion...everything looks nice without making you sit through any lengthy animations. I thought it would get old after a while, but I never stopped chuckling at how good some things looked.

As Karasu pointed before, perhaps the best aspect of the game is the high level of fidelity to the original Amano designs Squenix achieved in portraying the characters on a 3-d environment. But, taking into account that there's hardly anything else on screen during battles (save some dull, ugly and randomly CPU-picked backgrounds), that actually isn't as meritorious as it could seem at first glance...

And about grinding... I had the opposite experience to Pollyanna. In fact, I had the sense of grinding even before I started to do it willingly (never before had such a thing happened to me). When I became aware of the whole game system, and the way to obtain some of the items and game improvements, an intense sense of dread took over me, almost as if I could feel the game's inner potential to make one waste hundreds of hours...

KTallguy
1152th Post

"Re(7):Dissidia: FF question+general thread" , posted Fri 18 Sep 11:38post reply

quote:
When I became aware of the whole game system, and the way to obtain some of the items and game improvements, an intense sense of dread took over me, almost as if I could feel the game's inner potential to make one waste hundreds of hours...

Some people love this stuff though (not me).
That's why WoW and Monster Hunter and Pokemon sell so damn much.

HAYATO
936th Post

"Re(8):Dissidia: FF question+general thread" , posted Fri 18 Sep 14:08post reply

quote:
When I became aware of the whole game system, and the way to obtain some of the items and game improvements, an intense sense of dread took over me, almost as if I could feel the game's inner potential to make one waste hundreds of hours...

Monster Hunter's game structure has nothing to do with Dissidia's (I can't tell about the other games you mention, as I have never played them). MH is about constant character upgrading via clearing self-chosen missions. Dissidia's method (unwillingly pitting one's character against enemies both +10/15 and -10/15 on the same stage) is simply crazy (in an awful way). For instance, how am I supposed to get decent "stage clear" stats when lvl 45 baddies attack my lvl 29 Cloud by surprise (i.e. unavoidable battle)? Whoever came with such a cheap game design deserves a kick in the nuts... with ice climbing boots!!!

Maese
519th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"GRINDAN GAEMS" , posted Fri 18 Sep 14:09post reply

quote:

Then again, this Hayato fellow is actually a devote fan of Monster Hunter! And has wasted uncountables periods of his lifetime on diverse MMORPGs of questionable quality as well!

WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW???!!

HAYATO
938th Post

"Re(1):GRINDAN GAEMS" , posted Fri 18 Sep 16:48post reply

quote:

Then again, this Hayato fellow is actually a devote fan of Monster Hunter! And has wasted uncountables periods of his lifetime on diverse MMORPGs of questionable quality as well!

WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW???!!

That's the main reason why I can asset the differences between those 2 games. If you found Monster Hunter unappealing, I can grant you that you'll HATE Dissidia. Moreover, nex time you return to Spain, you'll try it before me, and I'll enjoy watching you shed tears of blood...

Nekros
194th Post

Regular Customer

"International Plus Whattafaq Dissidia" , posted Fri 18 Sep 17:43post reply

I heard that at TGS will be a presentation of a new version of Dissidia for the Japanese market, including content from the western version and new stuff. What about this new content? It is only items, equipment etc. or it'll include new characters, stages, music?

Pollyanna
2754th Post

"Re(1):International Plus Whattafaq Dissidia" , posted Fri 18 Sep 18:47post reply

Monster Hunter is all about improving your game. The greatest accomplishment isn't getting the fancy armor, it's being able to beat the bosses without it. The only time you have to fight a monster over and over is when you find yourself too weak, in which case you could use the practice anyway.

Of course, Dissidia doesn't quite accomplish this, but I was always focused on improving my game along with leveling up. Obviously, making your character stronger made the game easier, but exploring the system and learning new tricks does too.

quote:
I heard that at TGS will be a presentation of a new version of Dissidia for the Japanese market, including content from the western version and new stuff. What about this new content? It is only items, equipment etc. or it'll include new characters, stages, music?

English voices, arcade mode from the US version, "rebalanced characters"...which could result in new moves, but more than likely, just rebalanced properties on existing moves.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

karasu99
212th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):International Plus Whattafaq Dissidia" , posted Sat 19 Sep 00:21post reply

quote:
English voices, arcade mode from the US version, "rebalanced characters"...which could result in new moves, but more than likely, just rebalanced properties on existing moves.

I have to say that I'm amazed at how Squenix can manage to sell the same game over and over to exactly the audience. But I suppose a lot of companies (Capcom!) can manage to do it as well-- it just seems particularly blatant when it involved the Final Fantasy IP.

HAYATO
940th Post

"Re(3):International Plus Whattafaq Dissidia" , posted Sat 19 Sep 00:26post reply

quote:

I have to say that I'm amazed at how Squenix can manage to sell the same game over and over to exactly the audience. But I suppose a lot of companies (Capcom!) can manage to do it as well-- it just seems particularly blatant when it involved the Final Fantasy IP.

Yeah, it really saddens me to witness all this FF craze as well. One may say that the little completist who lives in me cries... for them.

karasu99
213th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(4):International Plus Whattafaq Dissidia" , posted Sat 19 Sep 03:01post reply

quote:
Yeah, it really saddens me to witness all this FF craze as well. One may say that the little completist who lives in me cries... for them.

In the interest of full disclosure, I should mention that the nostalgic side of me has decided, after playing Dissidia, that I should finally finish playing at least the first 6 FF games after making the attempt so many times over the years and always falling short. So I guess Squenix has succeeded, at least on some level.

Grave
1208th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(5):International Plus Whattafaq Dissidia" , posted Sat 19 Sep 03:57post reply

Not all about the shameless milking of FF, but I gotta admit that I like Dissidia a lot. As mentioned before, Nomura's translations of Amano's designs are some of the best he's ever done and the gameplay speaks for itself. If the International version adds, say... Ramza and Delita, I might be tempted to pick it up, not gonna lie!

Time Mage
2771th Post

"Re(6):International Plus Whattafaq Dissidia" , posted Sun 20 Sep 04:04post reply

quote:
If the International version adds, say... Ramza and Delita, I might be tempted to pick it up, not gonna lie!

If they get to the International Version, I'll sell my soul if necessary to get one.

On the other hand, I'm enjoying Dissidia so far. It's not a fighting game, but it has managed to give each character enough uniqueness in their fighting style to make it fun to try them all against the CPU (which yes, can be a cheap bastard). Besides, as commented before, the 3D rendition of the original designs is really good.

"News flash big guy: You can wax on wax off all you want I'm still... KICKIN' YOUR ASS!"

nobinobita
611th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(6):International Plus Whattafaq Dissidia" , posted Sun 20 Sep 04:13post reply

quote:
As mentioned before, Nomura's translations of Amano's designs are some of the best he's ever done

quote:
Besides, as commented before, the 3D rendition of the original designs is really good.

I've seen the original source models in Maya. They are the best low polygon (ps2/iPhone range) models I've ever seen. Ever. They are marvels of artistic ability, engineering and planning. They use the least amount of polygons necessary, with awesome edge flow (perfect for the rigs) and their UVs take up 100% of the square utilizing textures that are painted with the same care they used to put into their sprite art. They are completely efficient, effective and best of all they are interesting looking.

Those guys really know what they're doing.

KTallguy
1153th Post

"Re(7):International Plus Whattafaq Dissidia" , posted Sun 20 Sep 13:13post reply

The art in the game (for the characters) is amazing, definitely. Too bad the story is a piece of rambling bullshit.

And Polly, the problem with Monster Hunter is when you get to a certain point, you have to start grinding for better weapons because all of your attacks start to bounce off the monsters (even when you hit them in the right spot)! I don't really care about armor, but that pisses me off.

Also it's very time consuming/difficult to use certain weapons on certain monsters. I used Bow and then Hammer, and with Bow it takes 30+ minutes to kill something. Hammer takes less time, but the window of opportunity is so small that I get frustrated.

With Dissidia, I can tell why I am doing absolutely no damage, at least. And even if you don't grind, single player is pretty doable.

[/rant]

karasu99
214th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(7):International Plus Whattafaq Dissidia" , posted Sun 20 Sep 13:43post reply

quote:

I've seen the original source models in Maya. They are the best low polygon (ps2/iPhone range) models I've ever seen. Ever. They are marvels of artistic ability, engineering and planning. They use the least amount of polygons necessary, with awesome edge flow (perfect for the rigs) and their UVs take up 100% of the square utilizing textures that are painted with the same care they used to put into their sprite art. They are completely efficient, effective and best of all they are interesting looking.

Those guys really know what they're doing.

We need to talk, someday, about what exactly it is that you do-- you have some of the most in-depth technical/artistic opinions of games that I think I've ever heard. The above is a perfect and excellent example of the sort of thing that I like to hear.

Agreed, by the way, about Dissidia's models. Bartz, for example, is a pleasure to watch, from a technical point of view.

Pollyanna
2756th Post

"Re(8):International Plus Whattafaq Dissidia" , posted Sun 20 Sep 19:40post reply

quote:

And Polly, the problem with Monster Hunter is when you get to a certain point, you have to start grinding for better weapons because all of your attacks start to bounce off the monsters (even when you hit them in the right spot)! I don't really care about armor, but that pisses me off.

Also it's very time consuming/difficult to use certain weapons on certain monsters. I used Bow and then Hammer, and with Bow it takes 30+ minutes to kill something. Hammer takes less time, but the window of opportunity is so small that I get frustrated.

I still don't think you need to "grind" in MH unless you need a SPECIFIC something, in which case, it's your choice. The game gives you such a huge array of options that you're unlikely to get stuck on any single point, unless you need to get better at the game. In that case, I would call that "practice", not "grinding".

Now, if your idea of "grinding" is fighting a monster 3 times, then I can't argue with that, but I think you're playing the wrong game. For me, though...the first time I fight a new monster (or a monster on a new difficulty) that's a trial run. The second is the real thing. If I use 3 different weapons on them, it's a different experience each time. That's essentially 6 times I can fight the same monster and it's still fresh.

But there are many many instances that can turn into grinding experiences. The rare items are completely ridiculous. I hate the random aspect of collecting them. I wanted to make the 3rd rank Red Khezu/Furufuru set and needed...something or other.

My "skill at beating the monster" had long since capped out and I was still fighting it over and over. I wish they would make it so that you needed a higher number of the items, but could get 100% drop if you broke certain things/combinations of things. That way, I could say "if I want to make this armor, I am going to have to kill 15 of this monster. Do I want to do that?" As it is now, it's "I may have to kill anything between 2 and 50 of them."

While I'm busy ranting, I also wish they would make it easier on bowgun users. Why not have a select set of ammo that each bowgun receives for each mission? That way, you don't have invest double the time and money that a non bow-gun user does. If the player is always going to bring the full extent of what the bowgun can use anyway, then why not save them the trouble? The experience isn't enhanced by burdening one class of weapon with excessive micromanagement.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Spoon
1806th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(9):International Plus Whattafaq Dissidia" , posted Mon 21 Sep 06:03post reply

quote:

I still don't think you need to "grind" in MH unless you need a SPECIFIC something, in which case, it's your choice. The game gives you such a huge array of options that you're unlikely to get stuck on any single point, unless you need to get better at the game. In that case, I would call that "practice", not "grinding".

Now, if your idea of "grinding" is fighting a monster 3 times, then I can't argue with that, but I think you're playing the wrong game. For me, though...the first time I fight a new monster (or a monster on a new difficulty) that's a trial run. The second is the real thing. If I use 3 different weapons on them, it's a different experience each time. That's essentially 6 times I can fight the same monster and it's still fresh.

But there are many many instances that can turn into grinding experiences. The rare items are completely ridiculous. I hate the random aspect of collecting them. I wanted to make the 3rd rank Red Khezu/Furufuru set and needed...something or other.

My "skill at beating the monster" had long since capped out and I was still fighting it over and over. I wish they would make it so that you needed a higher number of the items, but could get 100% drop if you broke certain things/combinations of things. That way, I could say "if I want to make this armor, I am going to have to kill 15 of this monster. Do I want to do that?" As it is now, it's "I may have to kill anything between 2 and 50 of them."

While I'm busy ranting, I also wish they would make it easier on bowgun users. Why not have a select set of ammo that each bowgun receives for each mission? That way, you don't have invest double the time and money that a non bow-gun user does. If the player is always going to bring the full extent of what the bowgun can use anyway, then why not save them the trouble? The experience isn't enhanced by burdening one class of weapon with excessive micromanagement.

I find that there are a lot of things that just waste time. I did not enjoy mining the 100 Iron Ores needed for the Onslaught Hammer; there was really nothing fun about it. Some of my pals who want *name of monster* Rubies spend hours grinding away (even with a full team of 4 people) because the drop just doesn't happen.

The worst part is grinding up enough equipment so that I can have some modicum of effectiveness/survival when dealing with the monsters my friends are fighting, otherwise it just turns into a situation where my biggest contribution to the fight is either tossing flashbombs, drinking the healing potion, or simply staying out of the fight. And to top it off, if I want to use the Bowgun, I'll have to grind up a new set of armor for it, the equipment needed to make the Bowgun, and then components for the Bowgun's ammo. I had picked a melee weapon simply because the low rank Bowguns seemed to take forever to kill even low rank bosses; I'd often run out of ammo in the middle of a fight and have to resort to plinking it down with the unlimited ammo shot. It's not impossible, but the return for the time investment was awful.

After I started realizing that the way I was playing MH was largely built on establishing metrics for my use of time, I started enjoying the game even less. If it weren't for the fact that some of my friends have already sunk hundreds of hours into the game and its predecessors and always want to play it, I wouldn't be playing MH.

So how's that Dissidia?

Pollyanna
2757th Post

"Re(10):International Plus Whattafaq Dissidia" , posted Mon 21 Sep 11:54post reply

quote:

So how's that Dissidia?

If you're talking about playing with friends who like to spend hundreds and hundreds of hours playing it, then TERRIBLE. TERRIBLE TERRIBLE. The vs is a mess, because people can piece together really devious combinations of skills/items/summons that are fine and dandy for countering overpowered CPU opponents, but just mean and unbalanced against friends.

As for the game itself, the chances are, you'll reach a point in each character's story mode where you'll have to step back and do vs or survival or arcade mode or whatever for a little while (or do a second run on the story mode). However, you'll probably be unlocking other new stuff in the process, (or practicing with new moves/item/summon combos), so it's not like ramming your head against a wall for hours and hours just to make it anywhere.

Altogether, it makes for a pretty solid 30-40 hour experience. Any time you spend after that is going to be more "grindy", but totally unnecessary to the "main" experience, since you will have already won the game. I never cared about unlocking all the items or anything, but I kept playing after I won the game because I was still having fun unlocking new attacks.

As for Monster Hunter, your friends are mean. Whenever I play with my friends, we play on the level of the weakest player and wear weak/joke equipment (or use a weapon we aren't good with) so that everyone has a balanced experience. Nobody likes to feel like the weakest link and we're all just playing for fun anyway (is there any other reason to play, really?).

青春謳歌 弱肉強食