Original message (3964 Views )

kofoguz
745th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Unused Designs From Official KOF XII Guide" , posted Sat 1 Aug 23:37post reply

I saw this on CX.
Here are sketches.

And I commented on some I'll do it more.

Pic 1, Pic 2, Pic 3

Replies:

GekigangerV
1624th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Unused Designs From Official KOF XII Gu" , posted Sun 2 Aug 02:47post reply

quote:
I saw this on CX.
Here are sketches.

And I commented on some I'll do it more.

Pic 1, Pic 2, Pic 3

The more detailed boss design (Osamu) looks pretty cool, but other than him none of those original characters look very good. Who did the character design in XII? I hope we get something better for XIII.

That one Iori costume looks too much like Krizalid to set him apart. Athena's design looks pretty nice.

Ishmael
3540th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):Unused Designs From Official KOF XII Gu" , posted Sun 2 Aug 04:30post reply

Interesting! I don't think the world needs endless variations on Elizabeth but these sketches still shows just how ambitious SNK was during the preliminary stages of KoFXII. The sketch of Ryo and the less bloated Ikari warriors are also nice but I'm assuming those were sacrificed when the game was switched to a more retro vibe.

kofoguz
746th Post

"Re(3):Unused Designs From Official KOF XII Gu" , posted Mon 3 Aug 06:11post reply

quote:
Interesting! I don't think the world needs endless variations on Elizabeth but these sketches still shows just how ambitious SNK was during the preliminary stages of KoFXII. The sketch of Ryo and the less bloated Ikari warriors are also nice but I'm assuming those were sacrificed when the game was switched to a more retro vibe.

Also there's this speculations,
quote:
phoenixazure :
here's speculation From Mugenchina. Supposedly this is data from the 360 ver found in the disc

data:827B0660 RoleNameTbl: .long aElisabeth_0 # DATA XREF: GetRoleNameById+10o
.data:827B0660 # GetRoleNameById+18o ...
.data:827B0660 # "elisabeth"
.data:827B0664 .long aDuolon_0 # "duolon"
.data:827B0668 .long aShen_0 # "shen"
.data:827B066C .long aKyo_0 # "kyo"
.data:827B0670 .long aBenimaru_0 # "benimaru"
.data:827B0674 .long aDaimon # "daimon"
.data:827B0678 .long aIori_0 # "iori"
.data:827B067C .long aMature_0 # "mature"
.data:827B0680 .long aVice_0 # "vice"
.data:827B0684 .long aTerry_0 # "terry"
.data:827B0688 .long aAndy_0 # "andy"
.data:827B068C .long aJoe_0 # "joe"
.data:827B0690 .long aAthena_0 # "athena"
.data:827B0694 .long aKensou_0 # "kensou"
.data:827B0698 .long aChin_0 # "chin"
.data:827B069C .long aKim_0 # "kim"
.data:827B06A0 .long aHwa_0 # "hwa"
.data:827B06A4 .long aRaiden_0 # "raiden"
.data:827B06A8 .long aRyo_0 # "ryo"
.data:827B06AC .long aRobert_0 # "robert"
.data:827B06B0 .long aTakuma_0 # "takuma"
.data:827B06B4 .long aRalf_0 # "ralf"
.data:827B06B8 .long aClark_0 # "clark"
.data:827B06BC .long aLeona_0 # "leona"
.data:827B06C0 .long aAsh_0 # "ash"
.data:827B06C4 .long aBoss_chara # "boss_chara"
.data:827B06C8 .long aDarkash_chara # "darkash_chara"
.data:827B06CC .long aMai_0 # "mai"
.data:827B06D0 .long aKing_0 # "king"
.data:827B06D4 .long aYuri_0 # "yuri"
.data:827B06D8 .long aIori98_0 # "iori98"
.data:827B06DC .long aBilly_0 # "billy"
.data:827B06E0 .long aBadAllocation # "bad allocation"
.data:827B06E4 .long aBadAllocation # "bad allocation"
.data:827B06E8 .long aBadAllocation # "bad allocation"
.data:827B06EC .long aBadAllocation # "bad allocation"
.data:827B06F0 .long aBadAllocation # "bad allocation"
.data:827B06F4 .long aBadAllocation # "bad allocation"
.data:827B06F8 .long aBadAllocation # "bad allocation"
Interesting choices, what do you guys think?

Pollyanna
2739th Post

"Re(4):Unused Designs From Official KOF XII Gu" , posted Mon 3 Aug 06:34post reply

I don't know if I can trust this info or not, but if it was true, then it would even out the teams...or rather, create teams. (excluding 98 Iori and Billy)

I was hoping we might see Kim with two Fatal Fury villains, but Hwa Jai was not what I had in mind.

Altogether, this and the art is just torture. I can't say that KOF XII is a bad game because it makes me want more SO BADLY, but I can't say it's a good game, because instead of being satisfied, all I think of is how I want more.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Iggy
8952th Post

"Re(5):Unused Designs From Official KOF XII Gu" , posted Mon 3 Aug 07:13post reply

I think some of the first versions of the sprites just add insult to injury. If only Clark had looked like that... And Ryo...

As for c&p Mature and Joe to make Vice and Hwa Jai, sure, why not. And the 94 girls team as well. I like the idea of Kim with 2 villains from his main series, though it wouldn't make much sense.
I especially laugh at the fact that no NESTS character, not even K' or Kula, would have been even considered at any point if that were true.

If they want to add all these characters to XIII, please, SNKP, be my guest. But first, finish XII. there are already some bugs with Elisabeth and Chin has a new dumb infinite.

Korigama
130th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):Unused Designs From Official KOF XII Gu" , posted Mon 3 Aug 07:50:post reply

quote:

I especially laugh at the fact that no NESTS character, not even K' or Kula, would have been even considered at any point if that were true.

;_;

I didn't even remember who Hwa Jai was...I guess I can laugh harder at XII's sales, if nothing else.

[this message was edited by Korigama on Mon 3 Aug 07:56]

kofoguz
747th Post

"Re(6):Unused Designs From Official KOF XII Gu" , posted Mon 3 Aug 11:11post reply

quote:
I think some of the first versions of the sprites just add insult to injury. If only Clark had looked like that... And Ryo...
And Athena. I dont know about you guys I did liked that Athena.

quote:
As for c&p Mature and Joe to make Vice and Hwa Jai, sure, why not. And the 94 girls team as well. I like the idea of Kim with 2 villains from his main series, though it wouldn't make much sense.

Im not happy with the Joe/Hwa Jai head swap idea.
quote:
If they want to add all these characters to XIII, please, SNKP, be my guest. But first, finish XII. there are already some bugs with Elisabeth and Chin has a new dumb infinite.

There's this KOFXII Black rumor.

Also;
what is this?

These photos allegedly came from here.
Notice the health bars. They're old. It looks too Disney btw.
Fake?

Digitalboy
641th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(5):Unused Designs From Official KOF XII Gu" , posted Mon 3 Aug 11:49post reply

I feel the same way. I love it as much as I can however I think paying 66 dollars for this game was not worth it. I will support SNK Playmore but come on; this feels like a tease than anything else. I bought the PS3 version and I will buy the 360 version whenever it becomes cheaper just to support SNKP.
quote:
...all I think of is how I want more.

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

Professor
2564th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(7): KOFXII Unused jungle stage" , posted Mon 3 Aug 19:13post reply

quote:
Also;
what is this?

These photos allegedly came from here.
Notice the health bars. They're old. It looks too Disney btw.
Fake?

A deleted stage from mid-development.

http://822digital.com/videogame_kof12_t1.html

Oroch
1074th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(4):Unused Designs From Official KOF XII Gu" , posted Tue 4 Aug 01:33post reply

quote:
Also there's this speculations,
phoenixazure :
here's speculation From Mugenchina. Supposedly this is data from the 360 ver found in the disc

data:827B0660 RoleNameTbl: .long aElisabeth_0 # DATA XREF: GetRoleNameById+10o
.data:827B0660 # GetRoleNameById+18o ...
.data:827B0660 # "elisabeth"
.data:827B0664 .long aDuolon_0 # "duolon"
.data:827B0668 .long aShen_0 # "shen"
.data:827B066C .long aKyo_0 # "kyo"
.data:827B0670 .long aBenimaru_0 # "benimaru"
.data:827B0674 .long aDaimon # "daimon"
.data:827B0678 .long aIori_0 # "iori"
.data:827B067C .long aMature_0 # "mature"
.data:827B0680 .long aVice_0 # "vice"
.data:827B0684 .long aTerry_0 # "terry"
.data:827B0688 .long aAndy_0 # "andy"
.data:827B068C .long aJoe_0 # "joe"
.data:827B0690 .long aAthena_0 # "athena"
.data:827B0694 .long aKensou_0 # "kensou"
.data:827B0698 .long aChin_0 # "chin"
.data:827B069C .long aKim_0 # "kim"
.data:827B06A0 .long aHwa_0 # "hwa"
.data:827B06A4 .long aRaiden_0 # "raiden"
.data:827B06A8 .long aRyo_0 # "ryo"
.data:827B06AC .long aRobert_0 # "robert"
.data:827B06B0 .long aTakuma_0 # "takuma"
.data:827B06B4 .long aRalf_0 # "ralf"
.data:827B06B8 .long aClark_0 # "clark"
.data:827B06BC .long aLeona_0 # "leona"
.data:827B06C0 .long aAsh_0 # "ash"
.data:827B06C4 .long aBoss_chara # "boss_chara"
.data:827B06C8 .long aDarkash_chara # "darkash_chara"
.data:827B06CC .long aMai_0 # "mai"
.data:827B06D0 .long aKing_0 # "king"
.data:827B06D4 .long aYuri_0 # "yuri"
.data:827B06D8 .long aIori98_0 # "iori98"
.data:827B06DC .long aBilly_0 # "billy"
.data:827B06E0 .long aBadAllocation # "bad allocation"
.data:827B06E4 .long aBadAllocation # "bad allocation"
.data:827B06E8 .long aBadAllocation # "bad allocation"
.data:827B06EC .long aBadAllocation # "bad allocation"
.data:827B06F0 .long aBadAllocation # "bad allocation"
.data:827B06F4 .long aBadAllocation # "bad allocation"
.data:827B06F8 .long aBadAllocation # "bad allocation"Interesting choices, what do you guys think?

dont think its a big deal, software ships all the time with unused lines of code, even me personally when im programming stuff, i'll just comment out what i don't use

i really wish there were extra characters, but i doubt it is so

Ishmael
3541th Post

"Re(7):Unused Designs From Official KOF XII Gu" , posted Tue 4 Aug 03:32post reply

quote:

This is one of the rare cases when hearing who isn't in the cast makes me smile as much as the actual roster.

quote:
There's this KOFXII Black rumor.

Unless there are more people out there than I imagined who can't wait to spend even more money on KoFXII I can't believe that even SNK has enough nerve to try something like KoF Black.

Speaking of people buying KoFXII, has anyone heard how the initial sales have been for the game? How do they compare to the other fighters -such as SF4 and BB- that have come out this year?

Korigama
131th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(8):Unused Designs From Official KOF XII Gu" , posted Tue 4 Aug 03:50:post reply

quote:

Speaking of people buying KoFXII, has anyone heard how the initial sales have been for the game? How do they compare to the other fighters -such as SF4 and BB- that have come out this year?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16912795&postcount=86

PS3 - 9300 (JP)
360 - 4300 (JP)

To compare, the first week sales for '02UM on the PS2 were over 19,000.

In BB's case...

http://www.versuscity.net/2009/07/18/congrats-to-aksys-games-and-arc-systems

PS3 - 36,570 (US); 33,768 (JP)
360 - 28,905 (US); 24,812 (JP)

There, something that makes ME smile (seriously, screw XII and its nostalgic, back to '94 "rebirth" tripe)...

[this message was edited by Korigama on Tue 4 Aug 03:56]

exodus
4201th Post

"Re(8):Unused Designs From Official KOF XII Gu" , posted Tue 4 Aug 03:52post reply

quote:

I haven't heard anything, but I was surprised to see the full 10,000 ranking spots filled up within the day the game was released.

I would imagine it is the third in that list in terms of sales, at the least.

Ishmael
3542th Post

"Re(9):Unused Designs From Official KOF XII Gu" , posted Tue 4 Aug 04:48post reply

quote:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16912795&postcount=86

PS3 - 9300 (JP)
360 - 4300 (JP)

To compare, the first week sales for '02UM on the PS2 were over 19,000.

In BB's case...

http://www.versuscity.net/2009/07/18/congrats-to-aksys-games-and-arc-systems

PS3 - 36,570 (US); 33,768 (JP)
360 - 28,905 (US); 24,812 (JP)

There, something that makes ME smile (seriously, screw XII and its nostalgic, back to '94 "rebirth" tripe)...

Thanks for the links even if it isn't good news. Those numbers aren't just bad, they're disastrous. I don't know what sort of sales SNK was hoping for from XII but I can't imagine they are thrilled to find that they moved more units when they trotted 02 back out onto the market. The question now isn't what will be corrected with the release of KoFXIII but if there will even be a KoFXIII.

exodus
4204th Post

"Re(10):Unused Designs From Official KOF XII G" , posted Tue 4 Aug 08:08post reply

quote:

Thanks for the links even if it isn't good news. Those numbers aren't just bad, they're disastrous.

those are first day sales though, versus first week sales...

Ishmael
3543th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Unused Designs From Official KOF" , posted Tue 4 Aug 09:35post reply

quote:
those are first day sales though, versus first week sales...

Ah, good point. I guess everyone was waiting for the weekend to pick it up.

Pollyanna
2740th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Unused Designs From Official KOF" , posted Tue 4 Aug 09:56post reply

I believe it was 18000, 3 day on PS3. 360 didn't make it into the ranking, but that probably brings the (Japanese) numbers at least somewhat close to BlazBlue.

I'm frustrated by what the game is lacking just like so many other people, but I don't see any point in being spiteful about it. I just hope that it sells well enough to give them a chance to do better next time.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Toxico
4765th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Unused Designs From Official KOF" , posted Tue 4 Aug 14:46post reply

OT : nobita asked for something like this long ago, finally snk's website has more download friendly (aka wall paper) versions of the game art.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Last updated : 08/05/09 (99 personajes)

Korigama
131th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Unused Designs From Official KOF" , posted Tue 4 Aug 22:15post reply

quote:
I believe it was 18000, 3 day on PS3. 360 didn't make it into the ranking, but that probably brings the (Japanese) numbers at least somewhat close to BlazBlue.

Those were the numbers from VGChartz (not exactly a reliable source). Either way, I won't say anything else until the Media Create results are in.

exodus
4205th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Unused Designs From Official KOF" , posted Wed 5 Aug 05:24post reply

quote:
I just hope that it sells well enough to give them a chance to do better next time.

I feel the same. I simply can't find happiness in SNK's failures. I do wish they were fewer and further between though...

NARUTO
3712th Post

"Re(6):Unused Designs From Official KOF XII Gu" , posted Wed 5 Aug 18:01post reply

quote:

I can give you thier adress if you want to send them a card for the Tea... I can even make the cookie if you want. If it help , and make KOF 13 a good game...^_^

Fortes fortuna juvat...

nobinobita
581th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(5):Re(10):Unused Designs From Official KOF" , posted Thu 13 Aug 06:11post reply

quote:
OT : nobita asked for something like this long ago, finally snk's website has more download friendly (aka wall paper) versions of the game art.

Thanks for the heads up! I really really appreciate it.

quote:
I just hope that it sells well enough to give them a chance to do better next time.

I feel the same. I simply can't find happiness in SNK's failures. I do wish they were fewer and further between though...

I feel the same way. I wish em success. I know the game's incomplete, if I had to guess, it seems like they ran out of money and just had to ship what they had. In any case, I hope the game does well enough to warrant a sequel or an update, cos there's alot to like about it. In spite of how rushed and unfinished it is, I still love the game for what's there (that is a reboot of the franchise with all new heartrendingly good sprites using the most iconic (rather than the "coolest" looking) forms of the characters).

I think KOF XII is a very good example of how "you're only as strong as your weakest link". It seems the creators had a limited budget and decided to spend it on the parts of the game that matter most, the characters and gameplay. They left out all the extras.

They left out the story cos, as many gamers and journalists have put it "no one plays a fighting game for the story".

They left out the boss cos, well, no one plays a fighting game for the unplayable last boss character either. In fact, lots of games don't really have bosses (Prince of Persia, Grand Theft Auto) and lots of games might as well not have endings (I'm looking at you Resident Evil V and don't think you can get away either Assassin's Creed).

Basically the game presents you with the bare bones of what you expect from a fighting game. A solid 2 player experience.

But all that missing stuff really adds up. Even if you don't spend any time on it, even if it's not the primary draw for a fighter, it still needs to be there.

I wish I could give a firm handshake and a pat on the back to Aksys Games for their incredible handling of Blazblue. It's a totally new fighting game with only what, 12 characters? But it's such a complete package with so many extras, so many miscellaneous touches, so much padding that you feel like you really got your money's worth. And people are responding to it really well! (it also helps that it has the best online play ever for a fighting game, as well as the ingenious drive system that lets kids weaned on Smash Bros jump right in).

If only KOF XII had been handled as wisely. It would have done much better with just 16 characters, more stages, a proper story and boss and better online play.

Still, I love the game, and although it's incomplete, that's not for lack of heart. I really really hope they sell at least enough copies of KOF XII to warrant a proper update, cos it could be wonderful.

karasu99
199th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):Unused Designs From Official KOF" , posted Thu 13 Aug 07:35post reply

quote:

Basically the game presents you with the bare bones of what you expect from a fighting game. A solid 2 player experience.

But all that missing stuff really adds up. Even if you don't spend any time on it, even if it's not the primary draw for a fighter, it still needs to be there.

I still haven't bothered to pick up KOFXII yet. I keep going back and forth about whether I should or not-- the real problem for me is that it doesn't bring anything new to the table at all-- which everyone seems to be agreeing with. I don't want to have given up on SNKP for good, but it's getting closer to that, since I have less and less patience for their stupid calls as the years go by.

I'm still trying to decide how I feel about BlazBlue. While part of me appreciates the time that was spent on it, I just don't care for the designs in the slightest. THAT I bought when it was first out, though, so I think it was a question of anticipation of a possibly great new game versus resignation that a game is going to be just as so-so as I thought it would be.