ipod (in your butt) - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1804 Views )

Juan
4455th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"WE WILL END THIS DOG BY BRINGING A BIGGER DOG" , posted Tue 29 Apr 05:59:post reply

There was a thread a while back with all the crazy kids talking about their fancy ipods and whatnot. Can't seem to be able to dig it out tho. Did anyone try out the Zune? How does it compare to the ipod?

What are some other interesting alternatives to these players? (cheaper or not)

how about them skeletons

think well your answer

[this message was edited by Juan on Fri 9 May 19:33]

Replies:

Nobinobita
328th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):ipod (in your butt)" , posted Tue 29 Apr 06:28post reply

quote:
There was a thread a while back with all the crazy kids talking about their fancy ipods and whatnot. Can't seem to be able to dig it out tho. Did anyone try out the Zune? How does it compare to the ipod?

how about them skeletons

A friend of mine has a Zune and he's been pretty unhappy with it. It doesn't have a very good file management system and when he tries to use his radio receiver to play it in his car it sounds really fuzzy (unless the car is really really hot from being left out in the sun--dont ask me why). We've tried ipods in the exact same car and they sound fine. I'm sure ipods have their own problems too though.

Digitalboy
530th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):ipod (in your butt)" , posted Tue 29 Apr 06:38:post reply

What is your preference?

Do you have any type of loyalty to either Apple or Microsoft?

Both portable media players are good. I know that the Ipod supports *.mp3, *.wma, *.aac, and anything from the Itunes market. As far as the Zune goes, I have talked to people who owns *the Zune and they are pretty content with it. I do not know what media the Zune supports, though.

If you are going for something within a cheaper price, you get what you pay for.

*And eventually BOTH the Ipod and Zune will become a paper weight or brick.
quote:

how about them skeletons

*EDIT*

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

[this message was edited by Digitalboy on Tue 29 Apr 06:42]

Holiday
2594th Post

"Re(1):ipod (in your butt)" , posted Tue 29 Apr 08:15post reply

quote:
There was a thread a while back with all the crazy kids talking about their fancy ipods and whatnot.

This thread?

My Mediakeg is still alive and kicking today, so I'm still happy with it. There's also that new HD60GD9 60GB Mediakeg which would probably destroy most people's wallets.

Look at sites like these and these if you're bored?

Juan
4452th Post

"Re(2):ipod (in your butt)" , posted Tue 29 Apr 10:55post reply

jawesome thanks for the responses

quote:
What is your preference?

No real preference, any brand goes. Just seeing what was good out there.

quote:
My Mediakeg is still alive and kicking today, so I'm still happy with it. There's also that new HD60GD9 60GB Mediakeg which would probably destroy most people's wallet

Cool thanks for the thread. The mediakeg is nice. The fact that it works like a simple storage device to drag and drop is cool. Might be a little pricey for me tho, but we'll see.

I'm thinking of getting a portable media player because I'm going to have a ton of studio classes soon. And I don't think I can stomach another semester of professors blasting frank zappa and captain beefheart for 3 hours.

think well your answer

sfried
145th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):ipod (in your butt)" , posted Tue 29 Apr 17:52post reply

I have a USB Shuffle given to me by my sis. It's pretty good to say the least. It's also serves as an emergency USB drive. Too bad Apple stopped selling these models.

Prior to that, I had an RCA Lyra 1028 since it supported mp3PRO and SD Cards. (This was back when SD cards weren't dead cheap like they are now and mp3PRO wasn't considered a dead format)

badoor
27th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(4):ipod (in your butt)" , posted Tue 29 Apr 23:28post reply

I have an ipod touch (16 gig, not hacked).I use it generally for music & wi-fi browsing and youtube. Fits nicely in my pocket but the edges are sharply cut that any small impact on them will chip off the darn thing.

The touch screen interface is good and you can navigate quickly, the problem is that you HAVE to look at the screen in order to control it (DON'T TRY TO SKIP A SONG WHILE DRIVING!). Its really annoying and I wish that apple would have added a next and previous buttons next to the square home button.

watching videos on it is ok but the ipod doesn't have support for a lot of formats. If you want video players that play a lot of formats I suggest that you don't pick either Ipod or Zune but pick other brands. I used to have a Creative and it supported Divx and pretty much everything I put into it.

I also like the soft-keyboard.Its so comfortable that I actually write my papers on it.

As far as I know It only supports Itunes but I was using Itunes as my player way before I bought it so things were organized from the beginning. If your not using Itunes your going to have a lot of work to do. It also doesn't work as a USB drag&drop storage at all.
If you think you will be using it for more than just music its pretty good but If your only concerned about music than there are definitely better choices.

Hope that helps.

EddyT
695th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"What-what in the butt" , posted Tue 29 Apr 23:52post reply

My 3rd-gen iPod Nano works fine. I also had a 1st-gen before the battery died and I decided to get a new one.

For the most part, I'm impressed at what the Nano does for videos. I don't mind watching vids on a small screen, and it's a nice screen to look at. I've also been hooked on Sims Bowling for it.

What really works is putting Podcasts onto this thing. I subscribe to a Japanese language learning Podcast and it's been pretty effective so far. It's neat to also have notes included with the Podcasts, so I can study the dialogue by reading and listening to it at the same time.

I'm not a rah-rah-get-Apple person, but I'm pretty satisfied with the iPod.

Tai-Pan
229th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(5):ipod (in your butt)" , posted Wed 30 Apr 04:25post reply

quote:
I have an ipod touch (16 gig, not hacked).I use it generally for music & wi-fi browsing and youtube. Fits nicely in my pocket but the edges are sharply cut that any small impact on them will chip off the darn thing.

I also have the 16gb Ipod touch. Everything he said about it is true.
Having youtube at your hand anytime can be fun, specially if you are at boring places.
Its recommended, but as he said, if you just want a good mp3 player, there are better options.

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

IkariDC
729th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):What-what in the butt" , posted Wed 30 Apr 15:33post reply

quote:
My 3rd-gen iPod Nano works fine. I also had a 1st-gen before the battery died and I decided to get a new one.

For the most part, I'm impressed at what the Nano does for videos. I don't mind watching vids on a small screen, and it's a nice screen to look at. I've also been hooked on Sims Bowling for it.

What really works is putting Podcasts onto this thing. I subscribe to a Japanese language learning Podcast and it's been pretty effective so far. It's neat to also have notes included with the Podcasts, so I can study the dialogue by reading and listening to it at the same time.

I'm not a rah-rah-get-Apple person, but I'm pretty satisfied with the iPod.

Requesting link to that Japanese language learning Podcast!

EddyT
698th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(2):What-what in the butt" , posted Wed 30 Apr 17:52post reply

quote:

japanesepod101.com

Just do a search on iTunes for Japanese or japanesepod101

IkariDC
731th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(3):What-what in the butt" , posted Thu 1 May 07:49post reply

quote:

japanesepod101.com

Just do a search on iTunes for Japanese or japanesepod101

Thanks a megaton!

Until I saw screenshots from that new game, I would never be able to tell that was Iroha in your avatar.