"ITT, mp3 players" , posted Sat 7 Apr 17:57post reply

what would you suggest and why?

Replies:

Zepy
1333th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):ITT, mp3 players" , posted Sat 7 Apr 19:33post reply

iPod, because all the cool kids have one.

oroch
934th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(2):ITT, mp3 players" , posted Sat 7 Apr 21:37post reply

quote:

nokia n95 sony ericsson w900 or samsung f700

because they're phones and mp3 players! and some times pda's gps devices and internet tablets :)

Holiday
2573th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):ITT, mp3 players" , posted Sat 7 Apr 22:22post reply

Kenwood HD10GB7
product site

It's really tiny, no need to install dumb software on your pc to transfer files (just drag and drop files into it - a very important feature for me) and the sound is pretty good compared to an iPod (well, at least to me).
Just do a Google search for some reviews? I use this one and I'm pretty happy with it so far.

crazymike
1279th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):ITT, mp3 players" , posted Sat 7 Apr 23:44post reply

I, for one, would not buy a video mp3 player. I got a Creative Zen Vision: M, and while I am happy with the sound quality, I rarely if ever use the video function. I frankly don't have time to re-convert movies and episodes.

Digitalboy
410th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):ITT, mp3 players" , posted Sat 7 Apr 23:55post reply

So far I have had 3 different portable video player (PVP). The first one was a Creative PVP that had 20gb of memory. That lasted roughly six months until the harddrive crashed. The second and third PVP are the Archos and Ipod. I still have both and both works. The Archos has 100gb of memory and a SEVEN inch screen. It is also a portable tivo. It can record straight from any video source with sound intact. It accepts just about any format. While great in display and memory it is NOT portable.
The video 80gb Ipod I have is good. It is mostly used while I am driving. For both PVP I have programs to rip movies and format them accordingly for each PVP. It lacks a decent screen but it makes up with its' portability.
quote:

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

Undead Fred
2827th Post

"Re(1):ITT, mp3 players" , posted Sun 8 Apr 05:26post reply

quote:

I don't know much about them other than iPod, but I'm sure there are better ones out there.

The iPod's kind of bitchy in certain ways (it ONLY plays MP4's for video... you can't drop in anything you like and hope it plays). I refuse to use iTunes, so I use WinAmp instead and it works just fine. The only catch is that you've got to install iTunes just long enough to have it set your iPod up and then you can uninstall it. Make sure you tell iTunes you want to "move music to my iPod on my own" or something like that so sync is turned off... heard too many stories of people having their iPods or HDD music wiped when going to someone else's house to listen because sync ruined the party. They phrased it sort of weird in the iTunes setup since they wrote it for dumb people... they couldn't just say, "turn on sync?" for people that know what it means and then have a brief description beside it for those that don't... Just skipped straight to "no one knows" so a lot of people wind up with sync on. Be sure you read before you just start wailing on the OK button.

So, I like my iPod once I got it set up the way I liked and got it working with WinAmp... the only complaint I still have is that the organization's pretty iffy (go to the video menu and it includes AAAAALLL of your music plus your videos... so you have to do a needle-in-a-haystack search for your videos from the list). Also, don't expect to be able to reach into the iPod and grab a particular file if you need to... they get renamed to a bunch of arbitrary numbers or letters.

Black_Hayato
185th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):ITT, mp3 players" , posted Sun 8 Apr 14:54post reply

quote:

because they're phones and mp3 players! and some times pda's gps devices and internet tablets :)

I second media phones. Convergence devices like mp3phones are a lot better than they once were a few yrs ago and with better prices. Worth while as long as you don't need your entire library with you.

I use a SE W810, its quad band, small, decent battery, good 2mp camera, and a great set of features. Plus the 1GB~4GB pro duo mem. stick prices have fallen hard. I prefer SE over Samsung, Nokia, and Motorola mainly because of their GUI. Even though the others in general have better design. But skip newer SE phones they use yet another new proprietery memory stick.

With a media phone I haven't a need for an mp3 player or a pda. I use to have an mp3 player but always forgot it at home. But I take my phone with me every time I leave the house. Keeps things simple. My pants just don't feel right without my phone, wallet and keys.

oroch
936th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(4):ITT, mp3 players" , posted Sun 8 Apr 17:06:post reply

quote:

I second media phones. Convergence devices like mp3phones are a lot better than they once were a few yrs ago and with better prices. Worth while as long as you don't need your entire library with you.

I use a SE W810, its quad band, small, decent battery, good 2mp camera, and a great set of features. Plus the 1GB~4GB pro duo mem. stick prices have fallen hard. I prefer SE over Samsung, Nokia, and Motorola mainly because of their GUI. Even though the others in general have better design. But skip newer SE phones they use yet another new proprietery memory stick.

With a media phone I haven't a need for an mp3 player or a pda. I use to have an mp3 player but always forgot it at home. But I take my phone with me every time I leave the house. Keeps things simple. My pants just don't feel right without my phone, wallet and keys.

aye the best of the crop is probably the walkman phone w850(w580 in the states)

its interface is king(motorola's is shit) amd the walkman 2.0 music program is simply beautiful

if youve got the money though, go for a smart phone like the w900 or n95

usually a gig or 2 of built in space(now they are coming with 4 or 8gb), + atleast 4gb expandable with microsd cards(se uses stupid memory sticks)

[this message was edited by oroch on Sun 8 Apr 19:09]

Evenor
550th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(5):ITT, mp3 players" , posted Mon 9 Apr 11:43post reply

I personally would buy a Zune but since they don't make anything bigger than 30GBs, I am still using my old 20GB ipod.

as for peeping ティッシュはここに不要です
in the bathroom エコロジストな僕なら

Shooo-rook
299th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):ITT, mp3 players" , posted Thu 12 Apr 01:01post reply

quote:
I, for one, would not buy a video mp3 player. I got a Creative Zen Vision: M, and while I am happy with the sound quality, I rarely if ever use the video function. I frankly don't have time to re-convert movies and episodes.

I have a Creative Zen Touch. It doesn't have video playback. But it gets the job done. My MP3 player has 40 gigabytes and is a lot cheaper than an ipod with the same memory. The battery life is also superb. Battery can last 24 hours. Also, it has a lot better sound quality than an Ipod. There are two drawbacks. One is that it is a little bit heavier and unpleasant to look at than an ipod (battery making it heavier). The other is that the touch pad (which you use to navigate through menus) is really sensitive, even if you have it set to the least sensitive setting. But you get used to it, and become extremely precise after a while. This MP3 Player is hard to find it at the price I originally bought it for 220 dollars. Most sites sell it for 240-260 dollars now a days.

Are you slave to the blade?

Maou
1046th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(4):ITT, mp3 players" , posted Thu 12 Apr 01:46post reply

Noooooooo the demented fuzzy demon avatar is gone~

I can't believe iPods don't cost like 50 bucks by now. I came back from this study abroad thing one time where everyone seemed to have one, and assumed they'd actually gotten cheap and that I could buy one given that a) I can get a 100 gig harddrive for less than the corresponding amount of dollars and b) that calculators and walkmen and other consumer electronics used to be mad expensive but then came to cost next to nothing. Ooops.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Shooo-rook
300th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(5):ITT, mp3 players" , posted Thu 12 Apr 04:04post reply

quote:
Noooooooo the demented fuzzy demon avatar is gone~

Sorry, I was going in a more, "eye-licking" direction. This one is kind of fuzzy though.

Are you slave to the blade?

Juke Joint Jezebel
3555th Post

"VROOM VROOM ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM" , posted Fri 13 Apr 14:50post reply

quote:
Kenwood HD10GB7

seems very fetching! i did some research and looks like a lovely device, but it may be hard for me to get my hands on in the states. i did, however, find this. $400 is a little out of my price range though. about how much did you pay for yours?

i'm at work where i'm not supposed to use the internet 8) more replies to come

Holiday
2575th Post

"Re(1):VROOM VROOM ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM" , posted Fri 13 Apr 18:32post reply

quote:
Kenwood HD10GB7
seems very fetching! i did some research and looks like a lovely device, but it may be hard for me to get my hands on in the states. i did, however, find this. $400 is a little out of my price range though. about how much did you pay for yours?

i'm at work where i'm not supposed to use the internet 8) more replies to come

I bought mine late last year for roughly USD390? That converting it at what I think was the Yen <-> USD conversion rate at that time.
Another nice thing about the Media Keg is that it displays Japanese titles perfectly if that's important to you.

The Sony w810i Walkman Handphone is nice, but sometimes there's a very audible clicking sound between music tracks. Not sure if they've fixed it in later software upgrades or in newer models, but it's something to watch out for.

Kyouji
55th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):VROOM VROOM ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM" , posted Thu 24 May 14:20post reply

That Kenwood looks delicious. I was thinking of upgrading from my first generation Shuffle and this looks like it'd go great with a pair of Shure ECs. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Now to try and find a way to get this into Canada.