KOF 94 OST and Digital Underground!? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3359 Views )

simonbelmont
95th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Occasional Customer

"KOF 94 OST and Digital Underground!?" , posted Fri 5 May 17:17post reply

Did anyone else notice that the KOF 94 OST samples the Digital Underground song Gutfest '89?

Yeah, you can hear, they're just having a ball and a hell of a time
down here at Gutfest this year
Uh, you can hear behind me now, that's uh, I think they're called Blue Death

Hope Shock G doesn't find out..."I did the super-generous, available to everyone, free thing for many years, I'm ready ta try to earn a few bucks now."

I had no idea Digital was popular in Japan...

Replies:

shin ramberk
257th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):KOF 94 OST and Digital Underground!?" , posted Fri 5 May 17:53post reply

Thats a very neat fine. I might look that up to verify it.

But what I find surprising is that more American rappers/DJs/musicians don't sample from J-Pop and Japanese video game soundtracks.

With the right mixing and a few good vocals, just about every KOF song would be a club hit.

http://ramberk.blogspot.com

Ikari Loona
131th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):KOF 94 OST and Digital Underground!?" , posted Fri 5 May 20:03post reply

quote:
Did anyone else notice that the KOF 94 OST samples the Digital Underground song Gutfest '89?

Yeah, you can hear, they're just having a ball and a hell of a time
down here at Gutfest this year
Uh, you can hear behind me now, that's uh, I think they're called Blue Death

I never did undertand what's benig said in the game's intro music or in the USA tune "Slum nš 5", but that doesn't seem quite like that you mentioned from what I recall... exactly what are the original and KoF music correspondences?

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Gyudon
2th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):KOF 94 OST and Digital Underground!?" , posted Sat 6 May 01:26post reply

quote:
I never did undertand what's benig said in the game's intro music or in the USA tune "Slum nš 5", but that doesn't seem quite like that you mentioned from what I recall... exactly what are the original and KoF music correspondences?

I remember that Rugal's (2nd Form) theme had the Gutfest Sample. Nice find Simon. Always just thought it was just nonsensical gibberish.

EddyT
542th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):KOF 94 OST and Digital Underground!?" , posted Sat 6 May 12:34post reply

My friend pointed that out long time ago... he is a big hip-hop fan. I am not very knowledgeable about hip-hop, but I do remember him talking about the samples.

I think SNK guys were really into American hip-hop... my friend also told me about the default hi-score list on Last Resort... that also has a lot of references to the music genre. Forgot what exactly was it, though.

nobinobita
33th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(2):KOF 94 OST and Digital Underground!?" , posted Sun 7 May 09:12post reply

quote:

But what I find surprising is that more American rappers/DJs/musicians don't sample from J-Pop and Japanese video game soundtracks.

There was this rock album that came out a few yaers ago called "United by Fate" by a band called "Rival Schools".

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005MKA6/sr=8-1/qid=1146960568/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-1317263-5184006?%5Fencoding=UTF8

I've never listened to them, and i don't think there are any samples on the album, but the name's definitely inspired. I thought it was funny that no music magazines ever caught the reference.

shin ramberk
261th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):KOF 94 OST and Digital Underground!?" , posted Sun 7 May 10:30post reply

quote:

There was this rock album that came out a few yaers ago called "United by Fate" by a band called "Rival Schools".

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005MKA6/sr=8-1/qid=1146960568/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-1317263-5184006?%5Fencoding=UTF8

I've never listened to them, and i don't think there are any samples on the album, but the name's definitely inspired. I thought it was funny that no music magazines ever caught the reference.

Actually, I've known about this band for a while. AFAIK, their name is the only thing they take from a video game. I've listened to a little bit of their music and its just like any other indy garage band.

I really like the name and was hoping to hear some really hard guitar riffs/fighting games beats and jams but alas no. Its kind of a let down. Why use that name if your not gonna have music that reflects the area where it came from.

http://ramberk.blogspot.com

crazymike
1231th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(4):KOF 94 OST and Digital Underground!?" , posted Mon 8 May 04:32post reply

I was always curious who did the rapping for the stages in Capcom v.s SNK 1 and 2.

Bootation
522th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(5):KOF 94 OST and Digital Underground!?" , posted Mon 8 May 21:32post reply

quote:
I was always curious who did the rapping for the stages in Capcom v.s SNK 1 and 2.

Nice find mon.

Pretty please check out my neato sweet awesome webpage

simonbelmont
98th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(5):KOF 94 OST and Digital Underground!?" , posted Fri 12 May 16:09post reply

quote:

I'd rather find out who does the rapping on Seth's stage in KOF MI. All the niggas in the house say ho. Where the niggas at?
The fact that they picked that song for Seth's stage was sheer genius.

Micky Kusanagi
487th Post

PSN: MickyKusanagi
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: MickyKusanagi
Gold Customer

"Re(6):KOF 94 OST and Digital Underground!?" , posted Mon 5 Dec 19:31:post reply

Sorry for bumping a really old thread so shamelessly, but I've finally found what one of the vocal samples in some KOF themes says: "221B Baker Street". Yes, it's Sherlock Holmes's address. Featured in Iori's '95 theme both OST and AST and its XI remake, Women's '95 theme OST and my favorite piece of music ever AKA Cool Jam AST.

While I'm at it, I'd like to ask your help about the male voice samples in Arashi No Saxophone. There's one that sounds to me "let me see you dance on four(s)" and it cracks me up every time x'D Just what is that crazy guy -who definitely adds to the theme's inner charm- saying?

Ore no...kachi da!!

[this message was edited by Micky Kusanagi on Mon 5 Dec 19:33]