Games of the week : Killer7, Kenka, MetalSaga - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (5094 Views )

Iggy
6678th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Games of the week : Killer7, Kenka, MetalSaga" , posted Wed 8 Jun 17:49post reply

I just got 2 of the three interesting games of the week (Killer 7 and Kenka Banchô, which came as a LE even thought I hadn't asked for it, nice surprise), so I may post a few things on them if I manage to play.
Anyone faster than me, please post.

Also, anyone picked the new Metal Max?
(which uses the HDD.... It's the year for that kind of thing).

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

Replies:

Pollyanna
1157th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):Games of the week : Killer7, Kenka, Met" , posted Wed 8 Jun 18:34post reply

I was waiting on your word on Kenka Bancho. It looks like a great novelty game, but from what I've seen, I'm afraid it won't be much to play. Ehehe...and I dunno how good I'll be at dishing out insults.

Time Mage
2155th Post

"Re(1):Games of the week : Killer7, Kenka, Met" , posted Wed 8 Jun 18:38post reply

Stupid question: Is Kenka Banchô some sort of codename, like Nejibako, or this is simply a game I don't have any clue about?

NARUTO
3084th Post

"Re(2):Games of the week : Killer7, Kenka, Met" , posted Wed 8 Jun 18:39post reply

Well I'm a bit curious about killer 7...
Will it be intereting to play or just some eye candy.

We are all mad at some point....

Pollyanna
1158th Post

"Re(2):Games of the week : Killer7, Kenka, Met" , posted Wed 8 Jun 19:01post reply

quote:
Stupid question: Is Kenka Banchô some sort of codename, like Nejibako, or this is simply a game I don't have any clue about?

Nope. Kenka Bancho is Kenka Bancho. Think of it as the evolution of Kunio-kun that actually has nothing to do with Kunio at all.

Iggy
6679th Post

"Re(3):Games of the week : Killer7, Kenka, Met" , posted Wed 8 Jun 19:11post reply

Kenka Banchô
It's made by Spike (Samurai Dô, Samurai Western) and it's exactly like the other games, except the characters are those funny japanese gangsta from the last century.
The universe of the game is extremely funny, but I haven't had the time to play it much. It's... I don't know... GTA in Japan, with a low budget and a lot of low level humour ? I kinda like it.

Killer 7 is....
It's the most bizarre game I've seen in a while, and you know how I like bizarre games.
The system of running with ○ is extremely weird, and even with that, there is some back tracking, it's.... I don't know, it's weird. But not in a bad way. I'll have to play a bit more, but at least the graphic presentation is great. Fun thing is that so far, it feels less like a corridor than FFX did.
The problem I have is that everything is spoken in babelfish english. Thank god, it's subtitled in japanese, but the japanese is also weird. Listening to broken english and reading broken japanese at the same time is not easy. Suda doesn't want me to understand anything, and I think he's going to win... But that won't prevent me from liking the game. I think.
It comes with a nice DVD video. I don't know if this is a surprise LE like my Kenka banchô, but it's still nice.

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

NARUTO
3085th Post

"Re(4):Games of the week : Killer7, Kenka, Met" , posted Wed 8 Jun 19:27post reply

quote:
Killer 7 is....
It's the most bizarre game I've seen in a while, and you know how I like bizarre games.
The system of running with ○ is extremely weird, and even with that, there is some back tracking, it's.... I don't know, it's weird. But not in a bad way. I'll have to play a bit more, but at least the graphic presentation is great. Fun thing is that so far, it feels less like a corridor than FFX did.
The problem I have is that everything is spoken in babelfish english. Thank god, it's subtitled in japanese, but the japanese is also weird. Listening to broken english and reading broken japanese at the same time is not easy. Suda doesn't want me to understand anything, and I think he's going to win... But that won't prevent me from liking the game. I think.
It comes with a nice DVD video. I don't know if this is a surprise LE like my Kenka banchô, but it's still nice.

Wierd...Some kind of "alien game" like katamari was??
and one question what you need to do exactly in Killer 7??

Radish
2899th Post

"Re(5):Games of the week : Killer7, Kenka, Met" , posted Wed 8 Jun 20:14post reply

quote:
Wierd...Some kind of "alien game" like katamari was??
and one question what you need to do exactly in Killer 7??

I'd like to know too. From the way it was described, this is Virtua Cop without the lightgun interspaced with Resident Evil puzzles on rails which sounds kinda lame. However I'm sure something is being lost from the transition between the game and the producer describing it, so I'd like to know if this game is as fun as it looks stylish.

Ammadeau
1376th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(6):Games of the week : Killer7, Kenka, Met" , posted Wed 8 Jun 20:52post reply

quote:
I'd like to know too. From the way it was described, this is Virtua Cop without the lightgun interspaced with Resident Evil puzzles on rails which sounds kinda lame. However I'm sure something is being lost from the transition between the game and the producer describing it, so I'd like to know if this game is as fun as it looks stylish.

1. Press A to run.
2. Hear a tone.
3. Hold trigger to switch to first person.
4. Press other trigger to make invisible enemy appear.
5. Shoot now visible enemy.
6. Let go of trigger.
7. Press A to run.

Ammadeau.net - My own personal waste of time.

Iggy
6680th Post

"Re(7):Games of the week : Killer7, Kenka, Met" , posted Wed 8 Jun 21:26post reply

Exactly what Ammadeau said.

Except Iwazaru is awesome, and I'm in love with Samantha, the save point maid.

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

Radish
2902th Post

"Re(8):Games of the week : Killer7, Kenka, Met" , posted Wed 8 Jun 22:46post reply

quote:
Exactly what Ammadeau said.

How do they keep that interesting? It sounds like it would get boring after 20 minutes...

burning kyo
2319th Post

"Re(9):Games of the week : Killer7, Kenka, Met" , posted Wed 8 Jun 22:55post reply

Is "Kenka Banchou" playable for a non-japanese friendly people ?

[welcome to the devil's nest]

Iggy
6681th Post

"Re(9):Games of the week : Killer7, Kenka, Met" , posted Wed 8 Jun 23:08post reply

quote:
How do they keep that interesting? It sounds like it would get boring after 20 minutes...
I don't know, I only played it 20 minutes.

But the scenario is intriguing. I guess it's just one of those games with a great story, but between the cutscenes, you have to play a so-so game.
Except this time it's not a RPG, which makes it less boring.

Kenka Banchô without a very good japanese knowledge to understand the hazardous grammar and the meaningless things you can make your character shout = pointless

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

Radish
2903th Post

"Re(10):Games of the week : Killer7, Kenka, Me" , posted Wed 8 Jun 23:23post reply

quote:
How do they keep that interesting? It sounds like it would get boring after 20 minutes... I don't know, I only played it 20 minutes.

But the scenario is intriguing. I guess it's just one of those games with a great story, but between the cutscenes, you have to play a so-so game.
Except this time it's not a RPG, which makes it less boring.

I hope it's good since I have to get it purely to find out how the hell they work that cutsey anime styled angel into it.

Nickey
4th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):Games of the week : Killer7, Kenka, Met" , posted Wed 8 Jun 23:36post reply

I just got a chance to play killer 7 for a bit, before I have to head out to work....yeah...The control scheme is very strange, but it works very well for the game and you get used to it pretty quick. I only lost one character before I got used to it (It's pretty easy to lose characters).

The english in the game, as Iggy said, is strange. The main characters speak english fine, but the uhhh...ghost I guess (I'll figure out what they are more when I get a chance to play for more then a half an hour), speak ehhh...well....You remember that program where you typed in words and it would say them for you in a funny robitic voice and then you and your friends would sit around and giggle cause you got it to say Vagina? Well they speak like that.

Overall so far for the 30 mins I've played I'm very interested in the game...Especially cause of the fun vulgarity <3 I'll say more when I get a chance to play more later tonight after work if I haven't already killed myself by tripping over a small child at work.

exodus
2719th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Games of the week : Killer7, Ken" , posted Thu 9 Jun 00:39post reply

quote:

to find out how the hell they work that cutsey anime styled angel into it.

first level boss

Ishmael
2045th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Games of the week : Killer7, Ken" , posted Thu 9 Jun 01:14post reply

At this point I want to play Killer7 not because I think it's going to be a revolutionary game but because it actually exists. The game has been delayed and poorly explained so many times I've taken to viewing it less as an eventual release and more as a dumping ground for unusable ideas or some sort of complex, obscure joke on Capcom's part. To think that I can hold a physical, complete copy of Killer7 in my own hands soon is going to take a bit of getting used to.

You can make your character in Kenka Banchô stand in the middle of the street and scream heartfelt, manly, pointless slogans? Nuts, why don't the games I want come out over here.

Radish
2904th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Games of the week : Killer7, Ken" , posted Thu 9 Jun 01:50post reply

quote:

to find out how the hell they work that cutsey anime styled angel into it.

first level boss

Yeah but I read some interview from the creator (his name escapes me) about how even though she was massively out of place in the visual style of Killer Seven, she tied into the Heaven Smile gang and that the connection would blow our minds. His hype worked on me at least.

exodus
2721th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Games of the week : Killer7, Ken" , posted Thu 9 Jun 02:09post reply

quote:

His hype worked on me at least.

I don't think suda can blow our minds. his last name is goichi, so he spells it 51. I mean...come on now.

Fuchikoma
1340th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(5):Re(10):Games of the week : Killer7, Ken" , posted Thu 9 Jun 02:28post reply

quote:

I don't think suda can blow our minds. his last name is goichi, so he spells it 51. I mean...come on now.

Haaa... ah that's classic. Maybe he thinks it's all mysterious like Area 51 or something.

I thought about getting Killer 7... but since the US release is only a month away I'll hold off. Instead I'm going to "get" Batman Begins today... I know I'm probably in for a huge letdown with the game... but I'm just a sucker for the bat.

exodus
2722th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Games of the week : Killer7, Ken" , posted Thu 9 Jun 02:54post reply

quote:

Instead I'm going to "get" Batman Begins today...

well if you're just 'get'ing it, you can't really be disappointed, can you!?

Burning Kyo
2321th Post

"Re(10):Games of the week : Killer7, Kenka, Me" , posted Thu 9 Jun 05:10:post reply

Just got Killer7 in the afternoon.
Played until the 4th floor of the 1st mission.

This is what can I say currently :
- weird game with a very original, but basic, gameplay.
- linear game, it's almost impossible to get lost somewhere or missed something.
- the "heaven's smiles" are not so hard when you've apprehended the "reveal & lock" system.
- the general environment of the game is pretty cool and bloody.

PS : My eyes hurt now

[this message was edited by Burning Kyo on Thu 9 Jun 05:26]

NARUTO
3086th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Games of the week : Killer7, Ken" , posted Thu 9 Jun 18:07post reply

Just a question on Killer 7. they've talked about something like the hero will have 7 personalities. Did it change something to the game like using the good one at the right place, or is just some storyline stuff...

burning kyo
2322th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Games of the week : Killer7, Ken" , posted Thu 9 Jun 18:25:post reply

quote:
Just a question on Killer 7. they've talked about something like the hero will have 7 personalities. Did it change something to the game like using the good one at the right place, or is just some storyline stuff...

Not really, even if every personnality has his own skills and abilities.
It's indicate on the map when you must change of personnality to unlock something.
For example, sometimes you need to use Coyote to pick the lock of a door or use Kaede's "blood shower" to reveal some hidden stuffs.
And for the boss of the 1st chapter, I think she's only beatable with Kaede who is fast and can zoom and snipe.

[this message was edited by burning kyo on Thu 9 Jun 18:36]

Iggy
6691th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Games of the week : Killer7, Ken" , posted Thu 9 Jun 19:20post reply

quote:
And for the boss of the 1st chapter, I think she's only beatable with Kaede who is fast and can zoom and snipe.

Not at all : I was bored, so I shot each head with a different character.

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

Iggy
6706th Post

"Dub question" , posted Sat 11 Jun 16:58post reply

I have a question for people who don't understand japanese.
I think the dub in Killer 7 is quite good (only Herman is off) and the text is, I guess, easily understandable even if it doesn't always mean what's written under it.
But for the ghost characters (Iwazaru, Travis, etc), who have been bablefished and are voiced by a program, it's completely different. I can make abstraction of what they say and just read first, then try to understand what they say before they jump to the next line, but without the japanese subtitles, can an english speaker understand anything ? There are quite a lot of engrish that will make all the fans of the genre happy, but I'm not sure the original jokes are transposed (like, when Iwazaru says how the 3rd scenario is too kimoi, that he can't stand the afro and he won't help you against this guy, because he doesn't want to come close to those hair. I like the concept of Afro shinsha).
Also, it must be tiring after a while.

The 3rd scenario is absolutely awesome (their power is to wear a wide T shirt. that's it.)
Also, the fact the lucha wrestler with his two small bazooka has the voice of a teenager is plain too funny.

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

burning kyo
2325th Post

"Re(1):Dub question" , posted Sat 11 Jun 17:18post reply

quote:
I have a question for people who don't understand japanese.
I think the dub in Killer 7 is quite good (only Herman is off) and the text is, I guess, easily understandable even if it doesn't always mean what's written under it.
But for the ghost characters (Iwazaru, Travis, etc), who have been bablefished and are voiced by a program, it's completely different. I can make abstraction of what they say and just read first, then try to understand what they say before they jump to the next line, but without the japanese subtitles, can an english speaker understand anything ? There are quite a lot of engrish that will make all the fans of the genre happy, but I'm not sure the original jokes are transposed (like, when Iwazaru says how the 3rd scenario is too kimoi, that he can't stand the afro and he won't help you against this guy, because he doesn't want to come close to those hair. I like the concept of Afro shinsha).
Also, it must be tiring after a while.

The 3rd scenario is absolutely awesome (their power is to wear a wide T shirt. that's it.)
Also, the fact the lucha wrestler with his two small bazooka has the voice of a teenager is plain too funny.

Not everything ...
I don't really care about Travis or Iwazaru, because I believe to guess they only talk about shit.
But IMO it's pretty annoying with Keith who give you some advices against the boss or some new monsters.
For example, I've been jammed a moment by the Phantom Smile the 1st time, because I don't know how to kill him without dying with him. I've should guess that I must use the "counterattack" ability.
An another annoying thing is the "how to use" an ability is totally in japanese.

PS : Aide-moi ! T_T
Je suis bloqué contre les 2 hommes ss têtes.
J'ai remarqué qu'en tirant sur celui de droite, ça lui faisait sauté sa cravate et que son pote la lui remettait correctement et ts, mais chui po vraiment sûr que ça lui fasse des dégats ...

Iggy
6708th Post

"Re(2):Dub question" , posted Sat 11 Jun 17:22post reply

quote:
I've should guess that I must use the "counterattack" ability.

Actually, you have to shot the oversized part of their bodies (the arm, the head)

As for the bosses of the second level, shoot the necktie, then the one on the left will put it back, and you will be able to shoot his brain.
When the left one is gone, as you shoot the flying brains, the remaining guy will sometimes duck, allowing you to shoot his brain.
Use Kaede, of course.

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

burning kyo
2327th Post

"Re(3):Dub question" , posted Sat 11 Jun 21:31:post reply

quote:

Actually, you have to shot the oversized part of their bodies (the arm, the head)

As for the bosses of the second level, shoot the necktie, then the one on the left will put it back, and you will be able to shoot his brain.
When the left one is gone, as you shoot the flying brains, the remaining guy will sometimes duck, allowing you to shoot his brain.
Use Kaede, of course.

Thank you very much for your help !
Man, the headless guy with the necktie was still a pure pain even when his friend was died.
It was so hard to hit correctly his brain because the hitbox was so small.

PS : Merde ... Chui encore bloqué ... ^_^'
Mais cette fois, c'est à cause de la porte à mot de passe dans la 3e mission : J'ai visité entièrement la partie gauche de la carte pour buter des monstres et récup' des objets (comme par exemple l'objet du pot fleur qui se débloque grâce à la bague de l'eau et qui sert sur la porte à code), mais j'ai rien vu qui pourrait m'indiquer un quelconque mot de passe.
Tu crois que j'ai manqué quelque chose ?
C'est quoi le mot de passe de cette porte ?

[this message was edited by burning kyo on Sat 11 Jun 22:13]

Iggy
6709th Post

"Re(4):Dub question" , posted Sat 11 Jun 22:21post reply

The password is on Travis's T-shirt (Hustle ? Hustler ?)

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

Iggy
6781th Post

"spoiler" , posted Wed 22 Jun 06:51post reply

Killer 7 : Emile's origin :

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
NEVADA

End of Spoiler

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

Krzyzewski Man
1093th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(8):Games of the week : Killer7, Kenka, Met" , posted Fri 24 Jun 14:29post reply

quote:

How so? Is she a hairy male version of Shermie in a maid's uniform?

Oh, and I've heard that Mask de Smith has a headbutt attack. Is that cutscene only, or does it actually work? I honestly don't see how it would, considering the enemies are kamikazes, but I'm still curious.

EMISSION

Iggy
6796th Post

"Re(9):Games of the week : Killer7, Kenka, Met" , posted Fri 24 Jun 15:09post reply

quote:
Oh, and I've heard that Mask de Smith has a headbutt attack. Is that cutscene only, or does it actually work? I honestly don't see how it would, considering the enemies are kamikazes, but I'm still curious.

I don't know, I really only used him when necessary... But is counter attack is indeed a... bridge ? that wrestling thing shermie does.
Not the one with the head in her vagina, the other one.

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

Krzyzewski Man
1094th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(10):Games of the week : Killer7, Kenka, Me" , posted Sat 25 Jun 03:04post reply

quote:
I don't know, I really only used him when necessary... But is counter attack is indeed a... bridge ? that wrestling thing shermie does.
Not the one with the head in her vagina, the other one.

Okay. Most WWE announcers call that a German Suplex nowadays. Haven't the foggiest idea why, but they do.

EMISSION

Ishmael
2085th Post

"Killer Bump" , posted Sat 9 Jul 00:40post reply

After much hype, delays, and articles that tried to explain a game that didn't exist outside of a few undefined plans from the game developers, I finally own a copy of Killer 7. No longer the poster child for endlessly delayed games Killer 7 is finally here and it's... weird. The game engine itself is strange enough in that it doesn't come across as revolutionary but instead feels like a throwback. Run on set paths, stop to plug people or fiddle with puzzles all while using an unintuitive control scheme... it reminds me of an old PC adventure game for some reason. But the presentation is what really pushes Killer 7 over the edge for me. Characters speak in English that is so heavily distorted you can only make out a word or two, giving their cut scenes a very disconcerting feel. The fact that they are discussing a plot that I don't fully understand yet makes the game feel even more surreal. When you top it off with the ability to make my playable character explode and re-form into a luchador who totes grenade launchers you end up with a very kooky game. I don't know if the game will be able to keep up the level of disconnect it currently has but I'm currently enjoying playing it for the feeling that the game doesn't care whether I understand it or not. Killer 7 certainly isn't for everyone but I applaud Capcom for publishing something so off-kilter.

Iggy
6835th Post

"Re(1):Killer Bump" , posted Sat 9 Jul 04:53post reply

I can say only one thing : wait until the final scenes.
The scenario is... wow. I was prepared for it, and even knowing it was written by Suda 51, it's... wow.

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

Baines
104th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Games of the week : Killer7, Ken" , posted Sat 9 Jul 07:05post reply

quote:
Okay. Most WWE announcers call that a German Suplex nowadays. Haven't the foggiest idea why, but they do.

German Suplex is so named because of Karl Gotch, though when Gotch himself wrestled it went by two other names.

Bridge is generally added to a suplex that holds a pin position. "German Suplex into a Bridge [position]", "Bridging German Suplex", etc. But most WWE wrestlers mainly do Release suplexes, and if they do use a pinning suplex, it tends to either be a named finisher or something that you assume can pin. Tazz and Heyman would probably be the only announcers that would use it.

Jason
129th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Games of the week : Killer7, Ken" , posted Sat 9 Jul 07:27post reply

quote:
Tazz and Heyman would probably be the only announcers that would use it.

We want Joey Styles!

I knew I would do it and I know this I know what I am doing now that I am doing something both beautiful but gruesome because I am destroying its beauty by knowing that it might be beautiful know that if I know that I am dong something beautiful that it's no longer beautiful. - Dave Eggers A.H.W.O.S.G.

Mosquiton
1656th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):Killer Bump" , posted Thu 14 Jul 05:34post reply

quote:
The scenario is... wow. I was prepared for it, and even knowing it was written by Suda 51, it's... wow.

I concur. The player really gets sucked in whether they like it or not there at the end.

In retrospect it's amazing how much the game tells you early on.

Anyone who has an open mind should check the game out... unless you're a total gameplay purist or easily frustrated. It's definitely an experience you'll remember afterwards.

/ / /

Shapermc
98th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re:Killer Bump" , posted Fri 15 Jul 05:20post reply

I love the sound for this game. The cackling is the only thing that I think could use a little tweaking. I have only gotten briefly into the third chapter. Time and commitments have restricted any further play. I really like the game so far though.

Also, what else did this 51 guy write?

exodus
2851th Post

"Re(1):Re:Killer Bump" , posted Fri 15 Jul 06:57post reply

quote:

Also, what else did this 51 guy write?

well, he's the head grasshopper manufacture guy. So:
Silver
Flower, Sun, and Rain
Michigan

Shapermc
100th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Re:Killer Bump" , posted Sat 16 Jul 01:15post reply

quote:
Michigan

I really want to play this game. For some stupid reason I expected this to come to the US. Is this game at all playable without knowing Japanese?

Iggy
6876th Post

"Re(3):Re:Killer Bump" , posted Sat 16 Jul 02:23post reply

quote:
Michigan
I really want to play this game. For some stupid reason I expected this to come to the US. Is this game at all playable without knowing Japanese?

The only thing I know about this game is that it's a total failure, and I don't feel like knowing more.

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

Ishmael
2098th Post

"Re(1):Re:Killer Bump" , posted Sun 17 Jul 04:39post reply

Now that I'm nearly finished with Killer 7 I'm struck by how successful the game is at upending the commonly held perception of what makes a good game. Gameplay is often held up to be the primary focus of what a game should offer. Poor presentation, recycled sprites or whatever can be forgiven as long as it plays well. For K7 the gameplay could a best be described as servicable but this is probably the most enjoyable game I've played in 2005. I don't think this is a case of style over substance, rather it seems as if K7 is a reminder that there is more than one way for a game to be entertaining.

quote:
I love the sound for this game. The cackling is the only thing that I think could use a little tweaking.

The laugh on the intro screen sounds like the opening to "Wipeout" by the Surfaris. I also agree the sound is great in the game. The voiceovers are good and I'd buy the soundtrack just for the music that plays in the hallway at the transport gate.

Spoon
1137th Post

"Re(2):Re:Killer Bump" , posted Sun 17 Jul 06:26post reply

quote:
Now that I'm nearly finished with Killer 7 I'm struck by how successful the game is at upending the commonly held perception of what makes a good game. Gameplay is often held up to be the primary focus of what a game should offer. Poor presentation, recycled sprites or whatever can be forgiven as long as it plays well. For K7 the gameplay could a best be described as servicable

Actually, this was disproven long ago, and in more recent memory, Doom 3 upheld that disproval.

It has also been demonstrated that poor graphics/presentation really CAN kill games.

Similarly, superb audio is something that seldom sticks out as a buying point for a game... so much so that from time to time we actually get reminded of this, rather than having it as a constant point in our mind (like graphics, for example).

quote:
but this is probably the most enjoyable game I've played in 2005.

I'm at part 2 of the fifth chapter, but it doesn't beat Cave Story (in english!!!!)... yet...

quote:
I don't think this is a case of style over substance, rather it seems as if K7 is a reminder that there is more than one way for a game to be entertaining.

You forget, style IS a substance.

I remember long ago that in the genre of "adventure" (which is nowadays known as "point-and-click adventure"), there were more than a few attempts at making action an integrated part of the game. Pretty much all such attempts to my memory were not very good, since all such sequences inevitably felt very canned; chalk it up to people trying to make action games who don't make action games.

I do agree that Killer7 is a good... experience, though, whatever that means.

Spoon
1138th Post

"Re(2):Killer Bump" , posted Sun 17 Jul 14:36post reply

quote:

I've gone and finished Killer7, and I'm not quite sure just how impressed I am with the story.

Discussion to follow:

No judgement will be made on whether the story is "good" or "bad", because that invariably degenerates into random idiocy.

Iggy likes the word "scenario", and it seems to carry a lot of additional meanings when he uses it. It sounds weird to me, his use of that word; like english that isn't quite right.

I do assume that the "scenario" is thought out, and is not just a hack mishmash of racy-seeming stuff.

We will also forgo the "it's all just Suda's dream about Japan/US relations while he lies in his room passed out from alcohol" scenario. Let's have a little more respect for this game than that.

Some tricks of the head played in while I was going through the story. For one, for some reason, I got it in my head after the first or second Carrier Pigeon that Emir was Garcian... I don't really know what this notion was based on, but I went through the whole game on this belief. So when Garcian "discovered" that he was Emir, I was actually surprised that that was supposed to be a surprise...

One of the disorienting aspects of the storytelling comes from the cutscenes where the Killer7 aren't personally present; these come across as being real, but their connection with Garcian's hallucinating is odd. Take the scene where Matsuken kills the two senior guys. Lan Kun shows up and has a chat with him. The senior guys come back to life/disappear from the room. The killer7 later show up and "fight" the senior guys, and their ghosts are apparent to Garcian. So what the heck actually happened, apart from Matsuken killing them?

What was the deal with Curtis and Dan, if Dan was actually killed by Emir? If the only point of it was to have Travis go on about "do you REALLY know what happened?" since Dan was actually killed by Emir and this is merely a fabrication, it's meaningless-seeming one.

There's a scene in the latter half of the game where you see a guy in bondage gear like Iwazaru go off an overpass and die. I suppose that that is Iwazaru. But the person next to him looked like Matsuken? Maybe my memory is bad and he really is just young Harman.

I didn't expect the story to be so centered around "politics"... and I don't think that having all that there made the story better. I had it in my head that the story would be centered around Harman/Killer7 and Kun Lan, and to an extent it is... but just to an extent. The exposition is not centered around the two, even though they're made out to be the major figures at the very end. I dunno. It makes sense after a bit that some of the characters don't get fleshed out, since Emir probably never really knew them. For some of them, he's probably just making up what they might be like... hey, they're probably pretty angry about being dead. But it still seems like there's things that could've been told that weren't. It's one thing to contain depth that readers can gradually surmise. It's another thing to leave a lot of blanks, which masquerade as depth in the form of "mysteries".

What's your take on the actual timeline of events?

What's the deal with Samantha?

Supposing that Iwazaru was a real person killed by Harman (going by that cutscene), what is the purpose of Kun Lan dressing as Iwazaru at the end? Yeah yeah I could draw this and that about how the one giving you all the leading advice and leading you through the conflict is actually Kun Lan, and Kun Lan and Harman are in a pseudo-conspiracy together anyway, but that seems pretty half-baked. It is a fun thing to mess with your head about how the last smile is Iwazaru, I guess.

Is there some cultural/religious symbol I'm missing with the third eye on Emir?

I got distracted by something while younger Harman was explicating to Garcian in the Hotel, and then I accidentally saved over it... what exactly did he say about Garcian?

So did Emir kill himself or not on the rooftop of the Union Hotel? It seems that he did... but then, how could Garcian be alive to deal with Matsuken at the end if he did?

I wrote too many questions. I think I'm too tired to be able to remember details right now, and that's why.

End of Spoiler

Iggy
6881th Post

"Re(3):Killer Bump" , posted Sun 17 Jul 18:29post reply

quote:
Iggy likes the word "scenario", and it seems to carry a lot of additional meanings when he uses it. It sounds weird to me, his use of that word; like english that isn't quite right.

It's what I explained about the "settei" in that other thread... I have yet to find a word that can express exactly everything settei means.

What was the deal with Curtis and Dan, if Dan was actually killed by Emir? If the only point of it was to have Travis go on about "do you REALLY know what happened?" since Dan was actually killed by Emir and this is merely a fabrication, it's meaningless-seeming one.

I can't explain it without a huge loophole. I saw it coming, and that's why I think we can say the option of Suda too high to care for anything is not to be forgotten.
As the game is, and until the short stories in the guide eventually explain that, Dan has been killed twice. That's it.

There's a scene in the latter half of the game where you see a guy in bondage gear like Iwazaru go off an overpass and die. I suppose that that is Iwazaru. But the person next to him looked like Matsuken?

It was Matsuken, and Kun Lan in Iwazaru's gear.

What's the deal with Samantha?

She's just awesome. That's pretty much all there is. And Suzie is great as well.

Supposing that Iwazaru was a real person killed by Harman (going by that cutscene), what is the purpose of Kun Lan dressing as Iwazaru at the end?

I think Kun Lan WAS Iwazaru from the beginning. Whatever Harmann and Kun Lan are, they are not human, I guess some immortal entities close to mythological beings. I think Emir has just been swallowed in their never ending struggle.
But since they keep killing each other, there is nothing wrong in Kun Lan being here as Iwazaru's ghost and alive creating heaven smiles at the same time.

I think the "third eye that allows to see everything far away" exists in several cultures ? The... In french, "les grées" for example.

So did Emir kill himself or not on the rooftop of the Union Hotel? It seems that he did... but then, how could Garcian be alive to deal with Matsuken at the end if he did?

I think he just shot the third eye, and indeed he doesn't have it in the last section of the game.

End of Spoiler

But keep in mind I haven't read anything related to Killer 7, no 2ch thread, guide or interviews. So, if someone has...

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

Spoon
1140th Post

"Re(4):Killer Bump" , posted Sun 17 Jul 19:56post reply

quote:
It's what I explained about the "settei" in that other thread... I have yet to find a word that can express exactly everything settei means.

From a book I have lying around:
The back-story is a fictional and someimes factual history of the alternate universe you are creating ... It's used to develop the rules and logic of the world ... The back-story establishes the environment and physical nature of the world and its inhabitants and reveals the nature of their relationships and interactions. Even though the audience might never read the back-story, it will exist in everything they see ... sometimes the back-story, the inspirational art, storyboards, and pre-production art are called the Story Bible or Character Bible.

Wikipedia says: "Back-story... is the history behind the situation extant at the start of the main story."

While I dislike the sound of the phrase "back-story", in literary terms it is by far the closest thing I can imagine to "settei".

quote:

But keep in mind I haven't read anything related to Killer 7, no 2ch thread, guide or interviews. So, if someone has...

In games which are so dependant on story like killer7, it's extremely bothersome to me if the story isn't told within the thing itself; all else outside may as well be BS that can be made up after the fact.

quote:

Suzie

Susie (in NA ver) is funky.
Samantha was cool...

... but I don't get what the point of her was, especially when she died and got replaced by the butler.

End of Spoiler

Iggy
6882th Post

"Re(5):Killer Bump" , posted Sun 17 Jul 20:40post reply

quote:
Wikipedia says: "Back-story... is the history behind the situation extant at the start of the main story."

I don't know... Would Shermie's chest size be considered part of her back story ?

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

Mosquiton
1659th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):Killer Bump" , posted Mon 18 Jul 05:32post reply

quote:

I've gone and finished Killer7, and I'm not quite sure just how impressed I am with the story...

At this point I don't really have the time and energy to get into a big discussion but I might be able to help you on one or two points.

quote:

End of Spoiler

Now, about

the third-eye. I think this is pretty obviously symbolic, although the outside perspective (I believe it's Hindu philosophy: clarivoyance) isn't necessary to understand it.

There's something important to notice when Garcian opens the safe in the school. I'm assuming you know what's inside the safe. Now keep in mind what happens on the rooftop...

I'd say that we saw Garcian kill himself. Emir on the other hand was reborn. So, just to be clear, no physical death here.

About Dan and Curtis, I'm still puzzling on that one... without checking back for reference I'm thinking that Curtis shot Dan and left him for dead, which meant Dan lived to be killed later by Emir.

I can't say I'm totally clear on the entire story, but I do think the depth was real and not simulated.

End of Spoiler

/ / /

Spoon
1147th Post

"Re(6):Killer Bump" , posted Mon 18 Jul 05:57:post reply

quote:
I don't know... Would Shermie's chest size be considered part of her back story ?

Since character profile ought to be part of the backstory, I fail to see why not.

Oh one other thing:
in the JP version, is practically everything you pick up other than the Rings and the Memos named "an odd engraving"?

One thing that I saw in the JP version that isn't in the US one is that in the dialogue subtitles, some of the kanji are highlighted in red with streaming edges etc. Aside from the stage name text, no text in the english version receives such treatment.

[this message was edited by Spoon on Mon 18 Jul 06:02]

Iggy
6883th Post

"Re(7):Killer Bump" , posted Mon 18 Jul 08:54post reply

quote:
Oh one other thing:
in the JP version, is practically everything you pick up other than the Rings and the Memos named "an odd engraving"?

Yes, I found it quite funny (better than the object that are supposed to make sense when they clearly don't in BH).

As for the red kanji, it's the kanji for "killing". The interesting thing is that it is often used for homophonic (?) verbs, quite common in japanese (if only, yaru - to do as well as to kill).
Of course, it's untranslatable.

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

Spoon
1150th Post

"Re(8):Killer Bump" , posted Mon 18 Jul 09:26:post reply

quote:
Oh one other thing:

Yes, I found it quite funny (better than the object that are supposed to make sense when they clearly don't in BH).

As for the red kanji, it's the kanji for "killing". The interesting thing is that it is often used for homophonic (?) verbs, quite common in japanese (if only, yaru - to do as well as to kill).
Of course, it's untranslatable.

English contains homonyms and homophones... italicizing homonyms is a pretty old way of visually indicating suggestiveness... but are the kanji the same?

If the kanji aren't the same and it's just the sound, then yes, that's a homophone. How well either homonym or homophone translates... well, that varies.

It actually ironically translates in the example of yaru... like... say, a line from Lord of the Flies: "Well? Do you see? We'll do you, see?"
In some cases you can convert the homophone to a homonym (somewhat), or other such translation trickery.

[this message was edited by Spoon on Mon 18 Jul 13:42]

Iggy
6885th Post

"Re(9):Killer Bump" , posted Mon 18 Jul 17:52post reply

quote:
English contains homonyms and homophones... italicizing homonyms is a pretty old way of visually indicating suggestiveness... but are the kanji the same?
No, the kanji are not the same.
Japanese is extremely poor musically, and homophones are extremely easy to make ; it is even an important tool in classical poetry.

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

Ishmael
2100th Post

"Re(10):Killer Bump" , posted Mon 18 Jul 22:37post reply

My quick, disorganized reflections upon finishing the game:

Funny, my first guess early in the game ws that K7 was taking place in Heaven and Garican was God. The actual ending was less cosmic -at least, I think it was- but Mosquiton is right, the game clues you in fairly early on that there's more going on than what's stated up front. Sorting out just what is going on, however, isn't the easiest trick in the world since it's hard to tell what is Garcian's imagination, what is a product of the alternate world the game is set in, and what was weird for the sake of being weird. I think the game's ending is supposed to be ambiguous and left open to interpretation but here's my thoughts on the matter and the many deaths of Dan.

Dan managed to die twice because:
1. The first scenerio was an invention of Garcian. As far as I can tell the fantasy world of Garcian didn't start breaking down until the deaths of Christopher and Samantha so perhaps Garcian might have been going through the trouble of inventing back stories for his alternate personalities. Or perhaps it was a sign that he was trying to compensate for reality by trying to explain away Dan's death by being at the hands of someone else.

The problem I have with this theory is that it means you can eliminate parts of the plot at random on the basis that it was all a delusion, making K7 a shaggy dog video game.

2.The Killer 7 are also independent of Garcian. While the game story may be Garcian's tale it isn't the full story of Killer 7. The "100 years later" epilogue suggests that there is more to the story than just a bit of delusion. If there can be several Harmans and Kun Lans running around why couldn't there be more than one incarnation of the other major players?

3.Garcian's condition is not unique. This is a possible interpretation of the battle against the Power Rangers. Perhaps Garcian isn't the only one dreaming the Killer 7 into existence.

Now that I think about it the epilogue and the Power Rangers could be more metaphorical, suggesting that people use stories and their imagination in order to contextualize and understand the world around them. Or maybe not. Come to think of it, was Harman Smith also William Howard Taft or something? Was the shot of the former President that looked like Harman a sign that Garcian's conditioning and problems had caused him to jumble together things at random or another sign that this conflict is larger in scope than Garcian's story? Gah, I should have been taking notes during the game.

Hmm, if the game does have more to it than just Garcian's issues there could easily be a sequel. Please Capcom, please be crazy enough to make a follow up to this game!

End of Spoiler

Anyway, I really dug the game. As a side note, I feel sorry for those poor suckers at X-Plus Co. who signed up to produce K7 toys and comics. Looking at the franchises that Capcom has produced in the past I'm sure they must have thought they were getting a sweet deal to get in at the start of a new series. Instead Capcom brings out a game like this. Somehow I don't see K7 taking off to become the next Resident Evil.

Iggy
6891th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Killer Bump" , posted Mon 18 Jul 22:56post reply

quote:

2.The Killer 7 are also independent of Garcian. While the game story may be Garcian's tale it isn't the full story of Killer 7. The "100 years later" epilogue suggests that there is more to the story than just a bit of delusion. If there can be several Harmans and Kun Lans running around why couldn't there be more than one incarnation of the other major players?

End of Spoiler

I do think the Killer 7 and Garcian are independant. I think Garcian, as well as the Killer 7 before their death (even though some of them, like Kevin, don't appear to be killers at all) have been swallowed by Harman who is the real hero of the game. His existence, and his goal, haven't been explained totally, but they are the secondary focus of the game.
Garcian is merely manipulated by Harman and Kun Lan as an actor in their battle. It's like Kun Lan has the Heaven's smiles, and Harmann has those 7 guys - THIS TIME. Maybe the struggle of the "100 years later" in Singapore will be fought with entirely different monsters / personalities.

The game has been said to have wide openings for sequels and spinoffs by Suda 51. Therefore, if the stories of the 7 guys (the 6 personalities you play as + Garcian/Emir) has been told in this game, I think the real heroes (Harman/Kun Lan) are supposed to continue their struggle in an eventual sequel.

Ah, I know how to say it clearly : it's like Garcian was the hero of this particular game, but Harmann/Kun Lan are supposed to be the main characters of the whole series.
But again, what do I know. Especially since I pretty much doubt the game will ever have a sequel.

End of Spoiler

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

Iggy
6905th Post

"guide" , posted Wed 20 Jul 01:21:post reply

Details from the official guide :

Dan hasn't been KILLED by Curtis, Curtis hired Emir to kill him.
This opens two questions : why would a killer hire another killer to do his job, and why did Emir kill the other guys.

But at least, with this explanation, Dan only dies once.

End of Spoiler

More importantly, the guides teaches us that

Kevin is gay. "hard gay" to be precise, whatever it means.

End of Spoiler

Beside that, the guide is extremely poor in explanations, which should have been its main focus. Suda wasn't even interviewed. Meh.

ねんがんの ネ申ゲーをてにいれたぞ!

[this message was edited by Iggy on Wed 20 Jul 01:24]

Ishmael
2104th Post

"Re(1):guide" , posted Wed 20 Jul 01:33:post reply

Wasn't Emir twelve or thirteen years old at the time of Dan's death? Wow, Curtis must have really thought Emir had potential if he hired the kid to do his dirty work for him.

That, or maybe Emir won him over with his rendition of "Greensleeves."

End of Spoiler

[this message was edited by Ishmael on Wed 20 Jul 01:47]