Recommend me a comic - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1784 Views )

Mozex
307th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Bronze Customer

"Recommend me a comic" , posted Wed 20 Apr 12:15post reply

I feel like reading a comic book; preferably a sci-fi/fantasy setting, but 'whatever' works. All I ask is that it isn't teeming with teen angst and can be easily found at a reasonbly stocked comic shop.

Fire away.

Be kind to goblins.

Replies:

JLG
90th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Recommend me a comic" , posted Wed 20 Apr 12:56post reply

Hm. I was going to recommend Alan Moore's Ballad of Halo Jones, but since DC killed the 2000AD line, it may be tough to find. Warren Ellis' Ministry of Space is brilliant, but might also be hard to find since it's selling like crazy. Ellis also has the Apparat that's worth checking out.

Y: The Last Man is the popular, obvious choice. It's been around a while, but you should still be able to get into it and I think there's some collections out too. BPRD and The Walking Dead are great, but are mostly horror. We3 just ended, but it's a quality series (nominated for an Eisner too!). On the manga front, more obvious choices would be Sgt. Frog which is more of a comedy, and Battle Angel Alita, which is hard sci-fi, is being rereleased with a new edition and is being continued in Last Order. Though you probably know or own most of these.

For "whatever," I highly recommend Wild Girl and Street Angel. That's all I can think of now...

DarkZero
1204th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Recommend me a comic" , posted Wed 20 Apr 13:47post reply

quote:
I feel like reading a comic book; preferably a sci-fi/fantasy setting, but 'whatever' works. All I ask is that it isn't teeming with teen angst and can be easily found at a reasonbly stocked comic shop.

Fire away.

What I'm reading right now (that doesn't suck):

Hellsing: I missed the boat when this became popular, but relentless scans on 4chan finally convinced me to start picking it up. So far, I've burned through the first three volumes over the course of two nights. If you missed the boat like I did, it's a really badass gothic/horror/action comic about vampires, zombies, and crazy religious fanatics. It reminds me a lot of Devil May Cry.

Sgt Frog: Enter generic "This is the most funny/amusing comic I've read in a long time" recommendation here. The anime flows a lot better than the comic does, but it's an extremely amusing read.

Exiles: Marvel's "What If?" comics with a recurring plot, essentially the Marvel universe's equivalent of "Sliders". It's a pretty good read if you like superhero comics and alternate universes in general, but it's an excellent read if you're a Marvel geek who loves seeing tons of dead Marvel characters and a half dozen different iterations of Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four.

Dr Baghead
3420th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Recommend me a comic" , posted Wed 20 Apr 14:26post reply

The Goon!!

If you like Hellboy you'll LOVE the Goon! If you hate Hellboy, give the Goon a try anyway, it's funnier then hell and Franky is the best Sidekick EVER.

Blanka and Dan make for a most excellent tag image (yeah still not funny)

Ganguro
4th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):Recommend me a comic" , posted Wed 20 Apr 14:27post reply

HMmmm.. on the manga front i've been reading

Priest - Korean manwha, think Hellblazer(constantine) set in a western setting.

XXXholic (teenish, but not too angsty) deals a lot with the occult and karmic cause and effect.

IWGP - teens again, but It's like reading the plot for 24, but with kids.. in japan.. or something.

Avoid the english translation of Hellsing like the plague, it's horrible! Why must they bastardize accents and cultural references to make "sense" to americans? Ok, so they are in england, i get it..

I'm recently getting back into reading american comics such as deadpool and cable/Deadpool series; but I'm not really sure what's good out there now in the indies.

JoJo continually pulls off impossible stunts such as blocking bullets or stabbing a vampire's eyes out with his toes. Eventually after saving the world in a battle that involves a volcano a Nazi cyborg and a B-52 bomber Joseph marries Susie Q. and retires from adventuring.

DarkZero
1205th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):Recommend me a comic" , posted Wed 20 Apr 16:42post reply

quote:

Avoid the english translation of Hellsing like the plague, it's horrible! Why must they bastardize accents and cultural references to make "sense" to americans? Ok, so they are in england, i get it..

What exactly is the problem with the translation of Hellsing?

Burning Ranger
1171th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):Recommend me a comic" , posted Wed 20 Apr 23:22post reply

quote:

Fire away.

I can also vouch for "Ministry of Space" too; it's a very good read. Also, try DC's "Space Ghost" and I'll always recommend Green Lantern stuff.

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

"The war is over the fight is just beginning..."

Rid
6579th Post

"Re(1):Recommend me a comic" , posted Wed 20 Apr 23:30post reply

Planetary, Planetary, Planetary!

Errr, besides Planetary (that's a GREAT sci-fi/pulp book), anything else by Warren Ellis is worth checking. He has an ongoing miniseries named Ocean that I'm enjoying quite a lot.

Ishmael
1958th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(2):Recommend me a comic" , posted Thu 21 Apr 01:30post reply

I second the nod for The Walking Dead. I don't know where the story is going to go in the future [how far can you go with the zombie apocalypse?] but for now it's creepy, solid stuff.

Mignola has some new Hellboy stuff coming out in June so that's good news.

GrimJack is also back to being regularly published. It's certainly old school but it still delivers plenty of pulpy sci-fi ass kicking.

Dr Baghead
3421th Post

"Re(3):Recommend me a comic" , posted Thu 21 Apr 01:49post reply

quote:
What exactly is the problem with the translation of Hellsing?

Vat es de problem vit de 'ellsing translation?

Ol' tell oou vat de problem vit de 'ellsing translation es: Et troois ta oous accents in ets 'rittin' und et geets unnooyin' to read.

(stops that) so yeah, I don't find a problem with the story translation myself, but the accents they try to write in annoy the shit out of me, it just doesn't work.

Blanka and Dan make for a most excellent tag image (yeah still not funny)

HAYATO
356th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(4):Recommend me a comic" , posted Thu 21 Apr 04:24post reply

You should try Jodorowsky's "The Metabarons" or Enki Bilal's "The Nikopol Trilogy". The first one is kind of an european space opera, and the second one could be labeled as a cyberpunk series, it recently got adapted to the silver screen by Bilal himself under the name "Immortal : Ad Vitam". Hope this helps...

Krzyzewski Man
1076th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):Recommend me a comic" , posted Thu 21 Apr 05:06post reply

Formerly Known as the Justice League (Graphic Novel, by Geffen and Dematteis)

I Can't Believe It's Not the Justice League (same guys, on news stands now)

Brilliance. As funny and well written as it gets.

MUCH BETTER THAN JOJO'S BIZARRE ADVENTURE LOL

EMISSION

Sano
1709th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):Recommend me a comic" , posted Thu 21 Apr 06:16post reply

I've been reading Ray the Manga from the creator of Eat-Man. That is really good, it's only up to volume 2 so you can get in on Ray from the beginning. Or at least try reading some of volume one in the store if your comic book shop allows it, see if it's your cup of tea.

On a side note, I hope they translate the Eat-Man vs. Ray story that came out last year at some point.

Ryu and Chun-Li forever!