user profileedit/delete message
PSN: beatolover
XBL: Dead
Wii: Dead
STM: bugrom1067
CFN: rugalbgood
Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Striiiiiiive?" , posted Fri 2 Jul 23:17post reply

Speaking of lagfests (or slightly less laggy fests, in this case) did anyone besides me here actually get it, and if so would you like to play at some point?

Replies:

PSN: Ishmael26b
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a
STM: n/a
CFN: Ishmael26b

"Re(1):Striiiiiiive?" , posted Thu 8 Jul 01:30post reply

Ha ha, no one will ever beat me in GG Strive! (Because I haven't bought the game yet.)

Star Platinum Carpet- S.P.W. Board Master

"Re(1):Striiiiiiive?" , posted Thu 8 Jul 04:45post reply

I had to drop the game as life suddenly required me to start reading In search of lost time in Spanish (as it can happen to anyone, such is life). However, I'll probably come back sooner or later. Hopefully by that time crossplay will be implemented!

https://comunidadarcsystemworks.tumblr.com/post/655805947239907328/exclusive-interview-with-arc-system-works-2021

quote:
CASW: Last but not least, the next step would be cross play so all the community could play together. In a genre like fighting games, in which the community is the cornerstone, I feel like this should be a must have going forward. Do we have more news regarding this demanded feature? Does rollback netcode make it harder to implement crossplay between different consoles or between consoles and PC?

Of course, we are always striving to accomplish this, and we are going through the verification processes for it. But there are still many practical issues like schedules and the running costs of matching servers. It will take a little more time before we can make a concrete announcement.

Mosquiton
2488th Post

"Re(2):Striiiiiiive?" , posted Thu 8 Jul 07:29post reply

quote:

Of course, we are always striving to accomplish this, and we are going through the verification processes for it. But there are still many practical issues like schedules and the running costs of matching servers. It will take a little more time before we can make a concrete announcement.

Eventually we will experience cross-smell of the game. And hopefully Testament.

/ / /
Pencilero

17th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):Striiiiiiive?" , posted Thu 8 Jul 15:43post reply

quote:
I had to drop the game as life suddenly required me to start reading In search of lost time in Spanish (as it can happen to anyone, such is life). However, I'll probably come back sooner or later. Hopefully by that time crossplay will be implemented!

I hope so. My PSN+ expired a few weeks back.

Dedicating myself to PC Master Race as it's the best option to enjoy PSO, and stop forcing myself to try Monster Hunter for the Nth time only to be left wanting PSO.

If only Bamco would release MSG Extreme Vs Maxiboost On (was that the title, it was such a mishmash of Engrish excitement I can hardly remember what goes where...) on PC I could totally kick my PS4 to the curb.

Sorry, wild tangent. I'm looking forward to cross play, although I too have yet to purchase Strive on Steam.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training." - Archilochus

"Re(3):Striiiiiiive?" , posted Thu 8 Jul 23:22post reply

quote:

Eventually we will experience cross-smell of the game. And hopefully Testament.

I'm hoping Testament - or any other characters - are added soon since the roster feels a bit sparse at the moment. I don't want to play and simply get destroyed by Chipp players all day; I want to get destroyed by a large and varied cast.

Pencilero

26th Post

Rare Customer

"Is that an Iron Maiden reference?!" , posted Wed 21 Jul 14:24post reply

Yes, yes it is! I wonder if the casket is also a nod to the Iron Maiden torture device itself?

Goldlewis Dickinson

I hope additional newcomers are this inspired!

Is Ishiwatari into any more recent metal acts? I'd love to see some Power Wolf, Lord of the Lost, or Avatar references in game.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training." - Archilochus

"Re(1):Is that an Iron Maiden reference?!" , posted Wed 21 Jul 22:33post reply

I like GG but I've never been in love with the RC system. No matter how colorful or creative the game looks on the surface I know at some point it's going to devolve into Sin dropping multiple frames of animation as he endlessly bops people with a flag pole. Strive, however, seems to be about big, weighty attacks. Goldlewis Dickinson would never have had the heft behind his attacks if he had debuted in an earlier game.

What do veteran GG players think of Strive? Do they feel it is a new variation on GG or is it too different from what came before?

Red Falcon
6304th Post

PSN: beatolover
XBL: Dead
Wii: Dead
STM: bugrom1067
CFN: rugalbgood

"Re(2):Is that an Iron Maiden reference?!" , posted Thu 22 Jul 15:54post reply

quote:

What do veteran GG players think of Strive? Do they feel it is a new variation on GG or is it too different from what came before?

It's not GG, BUT I really enjoy it a lot! It reminds me of something odd that would have been released in the late 90s, mechanically.

"Re(3):Is that an Iron Maiden reference?!" , posted Thu 22 Jul 23:53post reply

quote:
It's not GG, BUT I really enjoy it a lot! It reminds me of something odd that would have been released in the late 90s, mechanically.

Nuts, that summary really makes me want to play the game! My time with the beta convinced me Strive wasn't like the past few GG games, but it wasn't until I watched several streams that I realized that this new game engine had a lot of potential and was probably a lot of fun. The rest of the year doesn't look like it's going to be conductive for me to crack into a new fighter but I might be tempted anyway if there's a sale and/or they fix the lobbies.

Pencilero

27th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(4):Is that an Iron Maiden reference?!" , posted Fri 23 Jul 15:08post reply

quote:
Nuts, that summary really makes me want to play the game! My time with the beta convinced me Strive wasn't like the past few GG games, but it wasn't until I watched several streams that I realized that this new game engine had a lot of potential and was probably a lot of fun. The rest of the year doesn't look like it's going to be conductive for me to crack into a new fighter but I might be tempted anyway if there's a sale and/or they fix the lobbies.

I'm trash at GG and enjoyed the hell out of the Strive beta. It wasn't until the closing of the second to last beta, that I was tempted to delve into the Roman Cancel system and my work schedule prevented me from doing that in the following beta.

The key to any fighting game that I try to impart on my peers is don't fret over theory fighting, or hypotheticals, just enjoy playing with people at the same level as yourself.

That said, I never felt as abused in Strive as I did in my BlazBlue days, or annoyed in the SF4 days. BlazBlue was just in the game design and my loyalty to Iron Tager. SF4 just had too much working against it for this oldhead. Janky visuals, clunky feeling, and too damned many micro-cinematics. This is coming from someone that was annoyed by overly long throw animations in the Street Fighter EX series, SF4 did that to 11.

Fortunately most fighting game developers seem to have realized that it's not the spectators that matter, it's the players and the match flow.

I'm impressed by the efficiency of Goldlewis's move set. Some of the Behemoth Typhoon inputs remind me of the harebrained antics SNK would get up to back in the day.

"Re(5):Is that an Iron Maiden reference?!" , posted Sat 24 Jul 00:43post reply

quote:
I'm impressed by the efficiency of Goldlewis's move set. Some of the Behemoth Typhoon inputs remind me of the harebrained antics SNK would get up to back in the day.

Good luck to the GG community in their future attempts to write up combos using numpad notations for this character!

Pencilero

28th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(6):Is that an Iron Maiden reference?!" , posted Sun 25 Jul 06:39post reply

quote:
Good luck to the GG community in their future attempts to write up combos using numpad notations for this character!

It may be difficult to the generations with no cultural memory of Street Fighter 2 inputs being foreign to us at the time.

However I was under the impression these galaxy brains started using numpad notation because the old was of qcf/qcb, etc. were "too complex"? 8/7, 7/4, 4/1, 1/2, 2/3, 3/6, 6/9, 9/8 ought to cover the bases.

I'm more concerned by up/8 inputs. I always felt cardinal directions in 2D fighting games was an issue. up/8 is jump. This could lead to a lot of Zangief/Akuma style hilarity where you see your opponent having a spastic fit as they attempt to mash out an SPD/Raging Bunghole.

Doing housework today and lamenting my failure to purchase this game yet. I really need to put my money where my mouth is as this is a pivotal moment for the Japanese fighting game genre. Admitting that a non-Japanese online implementation is one of the more reliable solutions, embracing it, and ending up with a relative commercial success (for the Guilty Gear franchise) in the process.

Maybe next paycheck if I have enough wiggle room after rent and bills I'll buy the Steam gift card to make it happen. Send the message with the wallet that the market demands more product like this.

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(6):Is that an Iron Maiden reference?!" , posted Sun 25 Jul 07:15post reply

quote:

Goldlewis shouldn't prove a notation problem. Arguably, he is one of the situations numpad notation was meant to address, as numpad notation removes the confusion of something like "inverted half-circle forward" or "half-circle from up through back to down".

The eight different version of Behemoth Typhoon have different properties and uses. They probably aren't going to be interchangeable in combos.

The standout is that Behemoth Typhoon apparently requires you are holding the final input direction as you press the attack button, though I don't know how strict that is. (Does it leniently count sliding past to a diagonal as still holding the desired direction?)

The other weird case is Down With The System, which has apparently has an alternate input that can further be used to power up the move. So you can do the noted hcb+f input, or do a full circle input, and doing additional full circles boosts the final power.