Fighter Musings Re-Bout 3 - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (9380 Views )

Professor
3455th Post

user profileedit/delete message

MMCafe Owner

"Fighter Musings Re-Bout 3" , posted Mon 16 Apr 21:53:post reply

Weird stuff on Sega's Hatsune Miku site today, as the official blog reveals that Virtua Fighter 5 was sort of the origin to the game. It originally used VF5's engine in its initial project stage and still kept some libraries even after its final build.

http://miku.sega.jp/info/0375 - Google Translation

- When Hatsune Miku Project Diva Arcade started out, their idea was "Let's draw Miku using Virtua Fighter 5's program".
- To rush on the presentation for Mikufest back in 2009, they swapped Dural's model with that of Miku, and about 4 of the songs at the event were rendered on the LINDBERGH pcb using VF5's program.

- Time passed on and the project officially launched as "Diva Arcade". Its program was separated from that of the VF5's and the platform was switched to RINGEDGE, and the project swung in fast speed.

- Both VF5 and Diva Arcade runs on OpenGL. (Official page shows a PC monitor displaying VF5 and Diva Arcade running simultaneously a on Linux PC.)

- The PS3's Dreamy Theater uses an OpenGL compatibility library that was provided by the VF5's porting team.

- Since Diva Arcade started out from VF5, a lot of the technologies used in the game as well as its special effects come from the game.

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 16 Apr 22:21]

Replies:

sibarraz
397th Post

PSN: DefensorVirtuoso
XBL: n/a
Wii: n/a

Silver Customer

"Re(1):Fighter Musings Re-Bout 3" , posted Tue 17 Apr 22:14post reply

Well, I would have never expected that

Is more funny if you think that some custom items in vf5 are vocaloids

Professor
3468th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Fighter Musings Re-Bout 3" , posted Thu 26 Apr 22:54:post reply

This is how much money can you get back if you sell these 2D based games to a used shop in Japan.

AH3 and KOF13 seem to have in common that they're both relatively niche titles with low print volume, which sort of explains why their prices are relatively high (not that many copies, not that many people selling off).

Don't forget that UMvC3 and SSF4 are cheap to begin with even at their retail price, since they're just upgraded/rereleased titles.

Original Prices
Blazblue Continuum Shift Extend-- 5980Yen
King Of Fighters XIII-- 7140Yen
Arcana Heart 3-- 7140Yen
Street Fighter x Tekken-- 6990Yen
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 4990Yen
Super Street Fighter 4 AE-- 2990Yen

TRADERS
Blazblue Continuum Shift Extend-- 3600Yen
King Of Fighters XIII-- 3200Yen
Arcana Heart 3-- 2800Yen
Street Fighter x Tekken-- 2500Yen
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 1800Yen
Super Street Fighter 4 AE-- 1500Yen

Sofmap
King Of Fighters XIII-- 3400Yen
Arcana Heart 3-- 2800Yen
Blazblue Continuum Shift Extend-- 2200Yen
Street Fighter x Tekken-- 2000Yen
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 1800Yen
Super Street Fighter 4 AE-- 1200Yen

Figures are for PS3 versions.

[this message was edited by Professor on Thu 26 Apr 23:18]

Nekros
450th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Fighter Musings Re-Bout 3" , posted Sat 28 Apr 16:22post reply

I have a question about video connection to enjoy fighting games on PS3. I usually play with a Saturn usb pad, on a lcd TV with hdmi cable. It was told me that's the worst combination possible because it causes lag (not get if in button feedback or in the game reading the input). Since I can't afford to buy a plasma TV, I want to ask you if using a composite cable or a lower resolution brings something effective on gameplay.

Professor
3472th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(5):Fighter Musings Re-Bout 3" , posted Sun 29 Apr 12:59:post reply

I've wrote this on the Skullgirls thread as well, but here's a wrapup of What's to be seen at Shadowloo Shodown, May 3-6. The pools are now up, and it's pretty interesting. The event will be viewable through the official stream at http://www.twitch.tv/shadowloohq

Shadowloo Showdown 2012 Pool Allocations
*subject to change

Noteworthy points-

SKULLGIRLS, Tokido, Justin Wong, and Ryan Hart will be playing. Tokido playing Skullgirls is totally mistifying. I wonder who he'll be using?

Virtua Fighter 5, Fuudo is in. Seems natural since he's from the scene to begin with, so this will be a treat.

KOFXIII will be really interesting as some top players from asia will be there. Poongko, Xiaohai, Dakou, Ash, Tokido. Ryan Hart and Justion Wong also participating.

SSF4AE will have the usual top name gang including Poongko, Fudo, Tokido, Gamerbee, Justin... but Daigo is nowhere to be found. Also, Xiaohai and Dakou from China will be entering.

Xiaohai btw, is currently in Japan's Total Eclipse tournament playing KOF98 so he's really going to be flying around.

[this message was edited by Professor on Sun 29 Apr 14:01]

Professor
3470th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(6):Fighter Musings Re-Bout 3" , posted Sun 29 Apr 13:05post reply

quote:
I have a question about video connection to enjoy fighting games on PS3. I usually play with a Saturn usb pad, on a lcd TV with hdmi cable. It was told me that's the worst combination possible because it causes lag (not get if in button feedback or in the game reading the input). Since I can't afford to buy a plasma TV, I want to ask you if using a composite cable or a lower resolution brings something effective on gameplay.

It's really more of a question of how fast or slow your LCD TV is at displaying. I play on a Regza using an HDMI cable, and I can't really notice difference from my Sony CRT monitor using an AV cable (and I've done this comparison for about 3 hours with the two tv sets side by side). You can try using the AV cable that came with your PS3, but I don't think it'll make a significant difference.

The best and cheapest solution is to simply tinker with your TV's settings. Some TVs have a mode that's specific to gaming. Also, going dot-by-dot (not magnifying the screen) can make things lighter too.

IMO, if you don't feel a significant lag from playing, I don't think you need to really worry unless you're really hardcore (in which case the not-so-graphically-nice solution of using a CRT is the key). I play with a Saturn USB at times too, it's no different from a normal stick in terms of lag.

Toxico
5624th Post

PSN: Toxic-Baron

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(7):Fighter Musings Re-Bout 3" , posted Sun 29 Apr 13:11post reply

Tougeki stream here. I don't know the schedule. And even if I knew it, I probably wouldn't get it right due to the recent change of time zone that we got here.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ
Update 24 as of 03/04/12. // 104 personajes traducidos

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 23 as of 20/11/11

justicekyo
725th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(4):Fighter Musings Re-Bout 3" , posted Sun 29 Apr 15:36post reply

quote:

justicekyo
726th Post

"Re(5):Fighter Musings Re-Bout 3" , posted Sun 29 Apr 15:38post reply

quote:

my bad. i hit reset then replay <.<

i was saying that there might be delay because of the scaling and de-interlacing the TV needs to do. but also the post processing that it does to clean up and sharpen the picture...

Professor
3479th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(6):Fighter Musings Re-Bout 3" , posted Fri 11 May 20:26post reply

Koei Tecmo is aiming 1 million sales for DOA5 according to their latest financial report (p.21). "Downloading business", which I assume they're referring to DLC, is planned for the game (p.27).

They're also reconfirming a September release for the game. This year is definitely about fighting games.

Shin Sangoku Musou 6 made 2.5 million yen off of DLC. That's quite something.

Ciel Nosurge is doing well. Not a surprise.

mbisonhatclub
491th Post

PSN: hadoolket

Gold Customer

"Dumbasses involved with fighting games" , posted Sat 12 May 03:37post reply

This kind of guy pisses me off.

I actually like the support of my favorite games to grow, even with the help of newbie players.

Grave made twitter posts earlier about people who try to play off like they don't need help because they're too cool or tough for it, and a fighting game community sure could use a bit of a boost of assistance in helping it develop.

We don't need assholes like this guy involved in its development.

That's all I gotta say because I already popped off enough about it on ON.

join the m.bison hat club today
i'm not just the president i'm also a client

Spoon
2305th Post

"Re(1):Dumbasses involved with fighting games" , posted Sat 12 May 04:26post reply

quote:

I actually like the support of my favorite games to grow, even with the help of newbie players.

Grave made twitter posts earlier about people who try to play off like they don't need help because they're too cool or tough for it, and a fighting game community sure could use a bit of a boost of assistance in helping it develop.

It's like people have forgotten how much fun a fighting game is when it's new and everybody is bad at it and everybody is constantly discovering and developing new tricks and tactics and it's a nonstop arms-race.

Believe you me, the Hokuto no Ken game by ArcSys was hilarious for this very reason. I still look back and smile at how some of us talked about it being a "low damage game"...

I think there's nothing sadder than when a really good competitive game is only played by a handful of old people and the game slowly dies as those people move apart due to real life. In some ways, I think the ST community in Japan is one of the most wonderful things simply because many of the best players are all busy with real-life careers, but they still all manage to get back together for big huge bashes like Gian Recital and SUPERSTAR Cup. I don't know if they've been getting many new players for that game, though...

Nekros
456th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Dumbasses involved with fighting games" , posted Sat 12 May 05:32post reply

quote:

It's like people have forgotten how much fun a fighting game is when it's new and everybody is bad at it and everybody is constantly discovering and developing new tricks and tactics and it's a nonstop arms-race

Most of gaming communities are full of similar people, not only the fighting scene.
Newbies can improve a game to evolve in future iterations for sure, and if well trained are a boost in sales and support for the genre. I'm a noob for sure in most FG nowadays (never get used to modern Capcom titles and never had much time to do a proper KOF/BB training), I got bored especially by what the scene has become, thanks to people like that guy you mentioned. I don't have any need to listen to dumbasses when playing games, my life is enough full of them.

kofoguz
986th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):Dumbasses involved with fighting games" , posted Sat 12 May 07:36post reply

quote:

And also he doesnt make any sense, how come a newbie makes community look bad?
In a major tournament I dont think anybody cares about the beginning. It is the finals where the real excitement and in finals it can be seen what the game really made of. So naturally newbies wont make it to the finals but learn a whole lot of things by playing against good gamers. If a newbie comes to the finals that is because he plays like pro so there is no problem.

Professor
3481th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Dumbasses involved with fighting games" , posted Sat 12 May 13:34:post reply

quote:

And also he doesnt make any sense, how come a newbie makes community look bad?
In a major tournament I dont think anybody cares about the beginning. It is the finals where the real excitement and in finals it can be seen what the game really made of. So naturally newbies wont make it to the finals but learn a whole lot of things by playing against good gamers. If a newbie comes to the finals that is because he plays like pro so there is no problem.

My assumption would be that this message post was made by a stream monster who doesn't care for watching low-level matches. What an elitist attitude though.

Personally, I think fighting games need to focus more towards the casual players.

quote:
It's like people have forgotten how much fun a fighting game is when it's new and everybody is bad at it and everybody is constantly discovering and developing new tricks and tactics and it's a nonstop arms-race.

This is what I really liked about the original golden era of fighting games. There was a new title coming out every 2-3 months and people shifted quickly, so there was always something new to discover and tierwhoring wasn't a problem as it is now. (though it's also because info didn't spread as quickly since the Internet wasn't as big). Then again, the competitive scene wasn't taking the center stage back then, which is very different from the current golden era.

[this message was edited by Professor on Sat 12 May 13:42]

KTallguy
1380th Post

PSN: Hunter-KT

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(3):Dumbasses involved with fighting games" , posted Sun 13 May 00:22post reply

quote:
My assumption would be that this message post was made by a stream monster who doesn't care for watching low-level matches. What an elitist attitude though.

Personally, I think fighting games need to focus more towards the casual players.

Yep. They do.

Many fighting games are impenetrable to casual fans because of all the innate knowledge that fighting game fans bring to the table. Ideas like option select, zoning, poking, and spacing are new concepts for most people, but they apply to almost all fighting games.

Many fighting games assume this and just throw the systems in your face, expecting you to sort it all out. Nothing is called out or explained. Extremely dedicated people can learn by themselves, but without other people to bounce that learning off of, they could miss something fundamental.

I remember when I first started learning VF, I went to a complete stranger's house to practice (this was before online). And he sat me down and started teaching me the concepts of frames, nitaku, etc. It took me 6 months to a year to actually be somewhat competitive. Without that guy (thanks Mike!!) I probably would have never understood fighting games in the same way I do today, or been able to play VF at anything resembling a high (?) level.

The solution is twofold. Have inclusive fighting game scenes that welcome and teach new players. This is hard if the players are not interested in teaching: inevitably it becomes a pride thing, and you get posts like mbisonhatclub linked to. The ONLY way to get better is to fight people better than you, and meets/tournaments are an important part of that, moreso than online matches.

And developers need to focus more on teaching players how to play their games in an organic way. Tutorials and classroom like teaching is boring, there should be systems in place that nudge players into understanding the ideas of zoning, poking, nitaku, etc. Explicit or implicit, they need to teach the core concepts of the system. But they ALSO have to be enjoyable to play. This goes beyond what most fighting games call "single player"; it would need to be a fully fleshed out mode that wasn't just versus mode. It would need a narrative and game flow and plenty of assets. It would take money, effort and time to make it special.

And I think the demand isn't really there, so we probably won't see something like that for a good while. Maybe someday ;)

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

mbisonhatclub
492th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Dumbasses involved with fighting games" , posted Sun 13 May 06:44post reply

It's one thing I think Skullgirls did that was very nice; it included an extensive tutorial section that also taught you a bit about the fundamentals of fighting games themselves. It didn't exactly go as in-depth with advanced tactics, but it was a very good start.

This shows that you don't really need to dumb down mechanics to invite people into the realm, you just need a better invitational mechanic such as a more thorough instructional on how to grasp fighting game theory.

karasu99
926th Post

PSN: robotchris
XBL: robotchris

"Re(4):Dumbasses involved with fighting games" , posted Mon 14 May 10:47post reply

quote:
The solution is twofold. Have inclusive fighting game scenes that welcome and teach new players. This is hard if the players are not interested in teaching: inevitably it becomes a pride thing, and you get posts like mbisonhatclub linked to. The ONLY way to get better is to fight people better than you, and meets/tournaments are an important part of that, moreso than online matches.

And developers need to focus more on teaching players how to play their games in an organic way. Tutorials and classroom like teaching is boring, there should be systems in place that nudge players into understanding the ideas of zoning, poking, nitaku, etc. Explicit or implicit, they need to teach the core concepts of the system. But they ALSO have to be enjoyable to play. This goes beyond what most fighting games call "single player"; it would need to be a fully fleshed out mode that wasn't just versus mode. It would need a narrative and game flow and plenty of assets. It would take money, effort and time to make it special.

And I think the demand isn't really there, so we probably won't see something like that for a good while. Maybe someday ;)

I've actually been thinking a lot about this problem lately, especially in the wake of some recent sessions playing my local 3rd Strike machine, where I've discovered that I somehow SOMEHOW suck really badly . As a long time fighting game player, I find today's competitive scene to be incredibly daunting. Games have significantly ramped up in gameplay complexity from the early days-- I'm sure someone can correct me, but it feels as though KOF was in the vanguard of this increase, with all of the annual releases including a new system or two, but Guilty Gear was the game that made me realize that fighting games had really changed from the relatively simple days of SFIIWW. This expands exponentially the complexity of trying to learn, since every system and gauge the game has introduces a whole other set of tactics that can be exploited by the clever competitor.

I'm not as fortunate as KTall, who had someone to teach him VF (excellent story, by the way). Most of my friends wouldn't touch fighting games, even back in the early 90's, so I was often left to my own devices of playing against strangers. And I have to say I never once encountered someone who tried to teach me anything. If I put my quarter in, they were going to hand my ass to me as fast as possible. There were plenty of folks who would be polite, don't get me wrong-- I had an extremely polite and friendly dude kick the living shit out of my Chun Li this past weekend, but he didn't hesitate at al to mop the floor with me. This is also not a new phenomenon-- I can recall being unable to even get an attack in on this one guy I played against in SamSho 2 like 20 years ago. He was decent enough about it, but holy crap! I think after about a dollar's worth of plays I just gave up. From some of the matches I've witnessed, especially in the last year or two, there's a whole lot of testosterone involved in the whole business; lots of swearing, popping veins, and rage. Not the most approachable kind of thing. I guess the same kind of arguments can be made for a lot of competitive sports though, but most don't involve quite the amount of complexity that fighting games have.

Granted, all of this doesn't involve a 'scene' at all, just a bunch of individual people dropping in on an arcade machine with maybe a friend or two. I'm guessing there's a scene here in Portland somewhere-- there's a meetup for almost every possible interest to be found these days.

So this is all in regard to actually being physically present and playing against another person. I'm wondering how easy it is to have any kind of 'teaching moments' during online play, if people in person won't even bother with it. I play mostly 'in person', so I can't really comment on the subject.

www.secret-arts.com

Professor
3481th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(5):Dumbasses involved with fighting games" , posted Mon 14 May 21:43post reply

Karasu: That's something I've been thinking too. I guess if both players are friends and they have voice chat, they can advise each other while playing online (I've never done that myself). A more realistic option is to ask the opponent after playing for any advices, which is what I do at times.

Offline, I think it's impossible to ask for advice unless you're playing on console and sitting right next to the person. At the arcades, people are pretty much obsessed at winning and they won't pull back any punches including bugs and infinites. From my personal experience, it's been easier to get advice online than offline.

Another thing with online, you can save replays and it doesn't cost quarters to play every game, so trying to self-teach shouldn't be as hard as the old days. That said, it can still take at least a thousand games (literally) before you can grasp the fundamentals for a game you're not too good at. Even seasoned fighting game players don't always like that, so many of them stick to the game engine that they're familiar with.

GekigangerV
1752th Post

PSN: gekijmo

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"VF5FS date announced and MK MLG Prize pool" , posted Tue 15 May 09:25post reply

Virtua Fighter 5 coming June 5th and 6th

The game itself is $15 which is pretty damn good. Character costume DLC is $5 per character or $15 for a pack of 10 and $15 for a pack of 9. Unfortunately, I think that unless your opponent has your character costume downloaded as well they won't be able to see your bizarre creation.

I still need to pick up a 360 sometime this month to get this game.

MLG Prize pool for MK is >26K

Whoever they got in charge in raking up money from sponsors is doing a hell of a job. First place gets $10,000 and 7th and 8th place get a respectable $750. Of course whoever sponsors an MLG event gets their moneys worth since their brand is everywhere.

ZamIAm
1821th Post

"Re(6):Dumbasses involved with fighting games" , posted Tue 15 May 09:28post reply

I think the problem is rather multi faceted. On one hand you have the overall change in videogame culture. There's both the aspect of the hypermasculine gamers who spend a lot of time stroking their egos and newer gamers raised on easier games so they have no intention of learning anything. However, it's a very real problem for those who want to learn not having good tools. Good tools is the key. While more fighting games nowadays have been including small tutorials, they really aren't enough. Classroom settings aren't a bad thing on their own but it needs to be engaging like a Bill Nye or Carmen Sandiego rather than the 90 year old professor with the monotone voice. I think nuances are really the key since that's the thing people tend not to pick up. It's something interesting (if incredibly frustrating) I tend to notice when watching others play games and not always fighters. Some things that might seem intuitive aren't always picked up naturally if not spelled out. Meter management is a big one. This has been on my mind for a while and I've seen some decent suggestions here and there.

My personal ranking of fighting game tutorial:
A - Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution (only flaw seemed to be lack of voices)
B - Blazblue (a sort of collective score of the various vids and in game material, in game movelists have full descriptions of what a move is)
C - SkullGirls (doesn't move higher for lack of character specifics)
D - MK9/KOF XIII (should be slightly higher but lacks a lot of system nuances for two games where that REALLY needs to be pointed out)
F - Street Fighter and most other fighting games

-----

Mention of the Hokuto no Ken game is funny since some friends were playing it last week. While a few knew of (but couldn't pull off) the infinites, everyone was relatively inexperienced and having a great time. I was playing Mamiya and got a few Fatal KOs while also discovering bike riding shenanigans.

Professor
3483th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(7):Dumbasses involved with fighting games" , posted Tue 15 May 13:07:post reply

Yeah, Blazblue's turorial is very well done. Skullgirls is pretty good too, especially considering its price. KOF13's plain sucks.

I don't think that any tutorial goes in-depth enough to cover more vs-human-only essencials like option select, spacing control, meaty attacks, or even say, the risk of doing invincible moves. Some of these are things that you can learn from watching videos and learning from tutorials, but they have their limits. They're things that don't really have any use when playing vs CPU, which definitely hinders new players from advancing in learning fighting games, especially if they don't have someone who can teach them.

On a different but related note, I hear people often saying that you won't get better unless you go to the arcades where the real competition is, and I believe it's true but should be advised with caution to new players due to a few reasons. The first is that the arcades are dieing, and it's not like the previous golden era of fighting games where there were people of all traits using all kinds of characters. Only the top players are pretty much left and they'll beat the living life out of you, especially because it'll let them add good stats in the IC-card enabled games of recent years (new players are called "nutrients" in the arcades because they bring in free points). It's OK if you're experienced enough to learn from your losses, but if you're new, there's a likely chance that you don't have enough knowledge to even understand your flaws or the techniques your opponent had used. Second, you'll quickly learn that you need to tier whore in order to win. This might not be a problem for some people as it is for others. For a good number of beginners however, not being able to use characters they want will probably make them lose interest in the game.

On a personal note, I'm a bit mixed about the competitive scene. It's great and I love it, but on the other hand, for some games, seeing only top tiers getting played is where I draw the line and say that it's not worth my time to get into. If the developer can't do enough job to balance out a game especially in this day in age where patching is technically possible (rather a matter of budget), I don't see it as worth trying to get competitive in.

[this message was edited by Professor on Tue 15 May 16:53]

Loona
564th Post

PSN: IkariLoona

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(7):Dumbasses involved with fighting games" , posted Tue 15 May 18:07post reply

quote:
My personal ranking of fighting game tutorial:
A - Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution (only flaw seemed to be lack of voices)
B - Blazblue (a sort of collective score of the various vids and in game material, in game movelists have full descriptions of what a move is)
C - SkullGirls (doesn't move higher for lack of character specifics)
D - MK9/KOF XIII

Not quite a tutorial, but I still think Samurai Shodown 2 has one of the best tools to help players get started on the basics of the game - at least when fighting the CPU the motion for the specials momentarily replaces the character's name under the lifebar, giving a new player a hint of what he needs to do to use that cool move he saw the computer do, and if your power bar's full, the motion for the super is right there - no need for a separate screen for the move list or tutorial.

Before getting to concepts like combos, option selects and mind games players still need to learn the actual individual moves first before being able to understand advanced tactics, and it's hard for the genre to get the interest of new people who haven't search all over the net for that sort of info before getting to experience the actual game, and its kinda awkward to have to pause all the time to check the moves list if you're at a friend's how trying out the game.

The genre is taking too many things for granted, and some interesting subtle ways to teach have been neglected.

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Ishmael
4380th Post

PSN: Ishmael26b

"Re(8):Dumbasses involved with message boards" , posted Wed 16 May 02:14post reply

Some random thoughts:

The more things change, the more they stay the same. The clown whose linked message started this discussion could have just as easily been found in an arcade instead of online. But instead of trying to validate his existence by ranting while standing next to the token machine he can now find a worldwide audience for his nonsense. That's progress for you.

Speaking of the online component, I actually think it's easier to get into fighting games nowadays than ever before. When you are limited to your local arcade you get good enough to face the local competition and then stagnate. Now, however, you can see streams and replays of people who are very, very good at the game. Back in the day you could read FAQ's to learn moves and strategies but now you can actually see these ideas being put into practice. It takes fighting game theory gobbledygook and makes it practical and exciting.

I'm not certain there is a magic bullet that can make all the jargon and concepts of fighting games easily understandable. Fighting games evolve over time so any tutorials included with the game are only going to be the programmers' best guess of how the game is going to be played. Small wonder most tutorials are little more than combo exhibitions. Plus, how many people would actually use a mode that explained zoning, option selects and all that? New players would balk at the idea of spending hours studying how to do something as seemingly simple as punch someone in the face. Perhaps I'm sick of in-game tutorials, but if I had to choose between a long, school-like instructional mode that reverse engineers the game and learning new things by actually playing the game I know what I would do.

Really, it's up to the community to support those who are getting into the scene. Try to be nice people!

Speaking of tutorials, my favorite one in recent memory was the blu-ray that came with the first BlazBlue. While the disc came with all sorts of interesting info for the characters the only blu-ray player I own is my PS3. That meant I had to watch the disc, take it out, put in the game and try to remember what I had just seen. Oh well, it was a nice try.

quote:
This is what I really liked about the original golden era of fighting games. There was a new title coming out every 2-3 months and people shifted quickly, so there was always something new to discover and tierwhoring wasn't a problem as it is now. (though it's also because info didn't spread as quickly since the Internet wasn't as big). Then again, the competitive scene wasn't taking the center stage back then, which is very different from the current golden era.

There is a difference in how games are perceived now, isn't there? For example, SFxT is a goofy little mess of a game that reminds me of one of those old B grade fighting games that were fun for what they were but were filled with ideas that didn't work. In another time SFxT would have been in the same league as those games that were in the third or fourth slot on the red multi-title Neo Geo cabs. Instead, people are trying to treat it like it's the next great competitive tournament title but it's never going to be that game. I've heard some people worrying that there might be a glut of fighting games coming out but I think it just means that we have a better chance of having one or two great new games instead of hoping one title will be everything everyone wants.

Mosquiton
1816th Post

"Re(9):Dumbasses involved with message boards" , posted Wed 16 May 13:23post reply

quote:
There is a difference in how games are perceived now, isn't there? For example, SFxT is a goofy little mess of a game that reminds me of one of those old B grade fighting games that were fun for what they were but were filled with ideas that didn't work. In another time SFxT would have been in the same league as those games that were in the third or fourth slot on the red multi-title Neo Geo cabs. Instead, people are trying to treat it like it's the next great competitive tournament title but it's never going to be that game. I've heard some people worrying that there might be a glut of fighting games coming out but I think it just means that we have a better chance of having one or two great new games instead of hoping one title will be everything everyone wants.

I like this analogy a lot.If we were to face great glut of fighting games in the near future (which would be fine by me honestly), I'd love to see some modern equivalents to games like Primal Rage, Evil Zone, Bloody Roar, Killer Instinct, Star Gladiator, Buriki One, Soukaigi... well, maybe not Soukaigi... maybe Psychic Force 2012? (Don't bother me again!)

I want to see more fighting games that aren't so focused on huge combos. I found Skullgirls to be quite charming and entertaining but the emphasis on huge combos had me losing interest really quickly. I also experienced some real bewilderment after going into training mode for VF5 Final Showdown with Vanessa. I've forgotten so much about that game, and I have almost no desire to learn it again.

I'm either not really into fighting games anymore, or in serious danger of slipping. My interest in SF4 had started fading way before AE came out. I simply wasn't a bad enough dude to be competitive in KOFXIII, although I had a lot of fun dicking around with it. I didn't spend any real time with SFxT at all. I did watch a few hours of a JoJo tournament stream recently.

I really want to see new things.

/ / /

Maou
2350th Post

"Re(10):Dumbasses involved with message boards" , posted Wed 16 May 14:45post reply

quote:
I really want to see new things.
What Mosquiton and Ish are saying rings true. What I am really saying is that I want Tobal 3 right now. Emperor Udan commands it!

I like the idea too of various experimental games like SFxT being like the Power Stones and Tobals and Bushido Blades and Fighting Vipers and second-tier SNK fighters of the modern age...though I worry that modern budgets may not be so forgiving, and all of the fighting game fans here are no doubt extra-sensitive to the precarious spot the genre was in until SF IV breathed life into things again, so it can feel like there is less margin of error now for experimentation or boldness.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Professor
3484th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(9):Dumbasses involved with message boards" , posted Wed 16 May 16:11post reply

quote:

Yeah, SFXT is definitely not meant to be a competitive title, at least in its current stage. It's hard to imagine the game getting balanced out enough in the future as well, although I'm sure Capcom will reach its 2 million sales goal in the long run. It's really more like a goofy party game than anything. You can buy around 4 DLC games at the same price the game was on release.

That reminds me, VF5FS doesn't seem to be getting much attention despite of its really low pricing. I haven't really played the series since 2, so I'm very looking forward to it.

Loona
565th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(10):Dumbasses involved with message boards" , posted Wed 16 May 20:33post reply

Ono meeting up with Nishiyama - in my dreams this would be a trigger for handing over development of CvS3 to Dimps; from what I recently researched, the NGPC SvC was developed by Nishiyama's company, which is terribly adequate since pretty much gave birth to the IPs in that one and explains why that is still the best of the crossover games.
It probably something unrelated, what with the SF4 development and SFxT not being all that successful, but damn it I can dream.

sibarraz
414th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(10):Dumbasses involved with message boards" , posted Thu 17 May 09:48post reply

quote:

Yeah, SFXT is definitely not meant to be a competitive title, at least in its current stage. It's hard to imagine the game getting balanced out enough in the future as well, although I'm sure Capcom will reach its 2 million sales goal in the long run. It's really more like a goofy party game than anything. You can buy around 4 DLC games at the same price the game was on release.

That reminds me, VF5FS doesn't seem to be getting much attention despite of its really low pricing. I haven't really played the series since 2, so I'm very looking forward to it.

Actually from the west, this is the most hype that I had seen for a virtua fighter game since the days of vf2

jUAN
4560th Post

PSN: Buttermonster
XBL: Prepaidpenguin
Wii: rofl

"Re(10):Dumbasses involved with message boards" , posted Thu 17 May 10:46post reply

quote:

I want to see more fighting games that aren't so focused on huge combos.

I think these types of games that concentrate on huge retarded combos are giving new players the wrong idea. They concentrate too much on memorization rather than actual strategy.

I've gotten countless of Live rage messages because I fight people that do fancy huge combos they copied from youtube, but end up losing to tiny bread and butter combos. Big combos won't do you any good if you don't know how to set them up or adapt to situations.

crazy kids get off my lawn

Amakusa
915th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Dumbasses involved with message " , posted Thu 17 May 11:23post reply

quote:
I've gotten countless of Live rage messages because I fight people that do fancy huge combos they copied from youtube, but end up losing to tiny bread and butter combos.

Reminds me of the time I beat this persistent fellow in one of the DOA games using nothing but Counters.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

Gojira
2844th Post

PSN: Gojira_X
XBL: Gojiraaa
Wii: 80085

"Re(3):Re(10):Dumbasses involved with message" , posted Thu 17 May 12:24post reply

It's not so much that games concentrate on large combos, they just have a (sometimes necessary) system in place so you can do a large combo without breaking the game, which is often a misinterpreted feature. Working harder to combo doesn't make you a better player; you can totally win at Skullgirls without needing a combo over 3 hits.

Anyway, I think tutorials are overrated and don't make the games more accessible to anyone than they were before. In the end the only people who have the patience to learn anything from a tutorial are the core audience, not the casuals. Casuals just want to jump into a match and do shit. The first effective tutorial in a fighting game will be the one that teaches you when you're already playing. Barring that, the only fighting games that will be popular are the ones that don't have to be taught or can easily be picked up on as they're played.

Finally, online play has instilled this idea in people that they don't really need to leave the house and support a community. I think that guy's message was just trying to reflect that sad mentality onto others.

Maese
673th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(8):Dumbasses involved with fighting games" , posted Fri 18 May 11:10post reply

quote:

On a different but related note, I hear people often saying that you won't get better unless you go to the arcades where the real competition is, and I believe it's true but should be advised with caution to new players due to a few reasons. The first is that the arcades are dieing, and it's not like the previous golden era of fighting games where there were people of all traits using all kinds of characters. Only the top players are pretty much left and they'll beat the living life out of you, especially because it'll let them add good stats in the IC-card enabled games of recent years (new players are called "nutrients" in the arcades because they bring in free points). It's OK if you're experienced enough to learn from your losses, but if you're new, there's a likely chance that you don't have enough knowledge to even understand y

This is pretty much the reason I don't go to arcades anymore. It's kind of sad, since I live in a place where, while possibly not as thriving as it was on the golden days, arcade culture is still pretty much alive. But I do not enjoy at all watching how everyone and their mother mop the floor with my puny ass every time I put a quarter on a Tekken cabinet. Let alone 2D fighters, where I lost the gist since the SFZero days.

I feel as I lost the train on late 90s and now it's way too late for start learning. I want to love and enjoy all these flashy and eye catching brand new fighting games, but systems are too complex, combos are too lengthy, competition is too fierce. Or maybe I'm just getting old...!

Mosquiton
1817th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Dumbasses involved with message" , posted Fri 18 May 13:18post reply

quote:
It's not so much that games concentrate on large combos, they just have a (sometimes necessary) system in place so you can do a large combo without breaking the game, which is often a misinterpreted feature. Working harder to combo doesn't make you a better player; you can totally win at Skullgirls without needing a combo over 3 hits.

I never said that combos are the end-all and be-all, but I think its pretty ridiculous to suggest that games like KoF XIII and Skullgirls don't heavily emphasize big combos. Even Cerebella, a grappler, is a combo-based lifeform. Sure, they aren't the single key to victory, but they're how you do solid, consistent damage. And I don't know about you, but applying reliable, consistent damage often helps me win fights. If two players are of relatively equal skill, and one player is punishing mistakes with potent combonitorial power, that player has greatly improved odds of winning. I've been on both sides, I agree with the venerable Juan about clueless youtube kids, and I'm pretty sure I'm not full of shit here.

I'm not calling for the abrogation of the grand combo council here, but again, I want to see something new.

/ / /

Spoon
2306th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Dumbasses involved with message" , posted Sat 19 May 06:15post reply

Fighting games are in an odd situation when it comes to damage: if the game is not about combos but powerful single hits, you get a fencing game... which is not a bad thing, but if it's not slow and deliberate enough it might feel too random, but if it's too slow and too deliberate it becomes incredibly not fun. There are videos of a SS1 tournament from just a few years ago that is somewhere between laughable and painful to watch, because it is literally two guys playing at max distance pressing only their safest poke.

I really like how there is a lot of variety in terms of payoffs in fighting games. There are lots of safe little things that don't do much, there are big risky plays that lead to huge payoffs, etc. I actually think that DOTA has got something amazing going on because even though most characters have stupidly simple "combos", there is still a very deep poking/zoning game, nobody gets tired of landing those "combos", and coordinating team combos is incredibly fun and rewarding. Smash's great successes include its ability to have a varied environment and a wholly different damage model.

In terms of being an incredibly different FG, one of the ones I still look back on is tasofro's Immaterial and Missing Power. Most characters don't have "bnb" combos that don't have a situational setup. The game is as much a shooting/platforming game as it is a fighting game. The game has tremendous competitive depth. Unfortunately, it's so different that many people just wouldn't play it. The hardcore community for it was quite amazing, though.

Maybe all I really want in the end is Nidhogg.

sibarraz
419th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):Dumbasses involved with message" , posted Sat 19 May 12:32post reply

quote:
Fighting games are in an odd situation when it comes to damage: if the game is not about combos but powerful single hits, you get a fencing game... which is not a bad thing, but if it's not slow and deliberate enough it might feel too random, but if it's too slow and too deliberate it becomes incredibly not fun. There are videos of a SS1 tournament from just a few years ago that is somewhere between laughable and painful to watch, because it is literally two guys playing at max distance pressing only their safest poke.

I really like how there is a lot of variety in terms of payoffs in fighting games. There are lots of safe little things that don't do much, there are big risky plays that lead to huge payoffs, etc. I actually think that DOTA has got something amazing going on because even though most characters have stupidly simple "combos", there is still a very deep poking/zoning game, nobody gets tired of landing those "combos", and coordinating team combos is incredibly fun and rewarding. Smash's great successes include its ability to have a varied environment and a wholly different damage model.

In terms of being an incredibly different FG, one of the ones I still look back on is tasofro's Immaterial and Missing Power. Most characters don't have "bnb" combos that don't have a situational setup. The game is as much a shooting/platforming game as it is a fighting game. The game has tremendous competitive depth. Unfortunately, it's so different that many people jus

-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

Had videos of that tournament?

I saw a video of JEO playing samsho 6 and both players didn't did anything in both rounds

I want to see from smasho 1 or 2 a fight where nobody does anything

red falcon
6111th Post

PSN: Rugalbgood
XBL: RugalBGood
Wii: Doesitmatter?

"Re(9):Dumbasses involved with message boards" , posted Sat 19 May 12:59post reply

quote:
Some random thoughts:

The more things change, the more they stay the same. The clown whose linked message started this discussion could have just as easily been found in an arcade instead of online. But instead of trying to validate his existence by ranting while standing next to the token machine he can now find a worldwide audience for his nonsense. That's progress for you.

I'm kind of derailing (not really...) but going back to the original bum whose message we were discussing... I personally try to ignore them and be pretty inclusive to new players, although I will admit I often try to proselytize them on obscure/old fighters that aren't popular... as many of the locals would testify to, ha ha ha. Fighter's History Dynamite, anyone?

Professor
3486th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Re(10):Dumbasses involved with message " , posted Sat 19 May 15:21post reply

quote:
I'm kind of derailing (not really...) but going back to the original bum whose message we were discussing... I personally try to ignore them and be pretty inclusive to new players, although I will admit I often try to proselytize them on obscure/old fighters that aren't popular... as many of the locals would testify to, ha ha ha. Fighter's History Dynamite, anyone?

Like Golden Axe: the Duel !
Obscure fighting games are awesome. There's so many of them that brings back odd memories like Battle K-Road and Aggressors of Dark Kombat. Saturday Night Slam Masters was called "Muscle Bomber: The Body Explosion" in its Japanese title... It's a good thing they changed it.

quote:
I've gotten countless of Live rage messages because I fight people that do fancy huge combos they copied from youtube, but end up losing to tiny bread and butter combos. Big combos won't do you any good if you don't know how to set them up or adapt to situations.

crazy kids get off my lawn

The penguin speaks words of wisdom! I agree on that too, and it's also not rare to find players that are completely dependent on offense and absolutely horrid in defense. It makes sense considering how it's more rewarding to be in the offense in many games.

...That reminds me of Rumble Fish, where you actually had a separate meter that builds up for attacking and defending. That was a pretty nifty concept.

Spoon
2307th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Dumbasses involved with message" , posted Sat 19 May 23:43post reply

quote:
SS tournament

Here's the first video of it. It's kind of loltastic.

KTallguy
1386th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Dumbasses involved with message" , posted Sun 20 May 09:00post reply

quote:
SS tournament

Here's the first video of it. It's kind of loltastic.

Thanks for this. The Hanzo match was funny... although it got better in the second round :)

High risk move = damage opportunity
Low risk move = stop high risk move is pretty much the foundation of fighting games... it's just how that damage opportunity manifests itself that can change so much (and the ability of low risk moves to dominate, but that's another story).

If the damage is guaranteed, you have a game that doesn't require a lot of technical skill, so it's easier to pick up. It's also a more "pure" yomi game, in that if you read your opponent correctly, you will always come out on top.

However, guaranteed damage instead of combos does a bunch of bad things.

- Combos are a skill challenge, so in tense moments you can drop the combo because you're nervous. It's the same as hitting a shot in basketball at the buzzer versus in the middle of the game.

- Combos also give some minimal choices to players, depending on the game. In some games positioning is more important than damage, because it creates the potential for more damage. So instead of my Max damage combo I'll do a combo that pushes you towards a wall or hazard, or puts you into the corner. This kind of depth is lost if it's a one shot deal.

- Combos are genuinely something that can be considered creative. Some of the best players pull out unorthodox combos that aren't max damage, but may have a different rhythm or feel that throws off the other player. The mentality, unfortunately, is to just find the max damage combo and get good at it, because it's so much work to understand the properties of every move and how they link together.

I wonder if there's a way to make a fighting game that still requires technical skill to exploit damage opportunities, but doesn't rely on the "juggle until they reset" combo system. Off the top of my head I can think of the Kengo system, the Senko no Ronde system... and Bushido Blade.

Spoon
2308th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Dumbasses involved with message" , posted Sun 20 May 09:11post reply

The fact that combos are sequences of moves has additional significance in some games, because it means that if the sequence is interrupted by something (not just user error), then not all the damage is scored.

It's why in the Gundam Vs. games characters with long melee combos have to be careful of being shot while they are performing the combo, or how characters that can throw down persistent things can effectively create combo breakers (probably my favourite is Bazoo from Rumble Fish 2). In some cases, it also requires resource management, or resource prediction.

Loona
567th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):Re(10):Dumbasses involved with message" , posted Mon 21 May 18:48post reply

quote:
Obscure fighting games are awesome. There's so many of them that brings back odd memories like Battle K-Road and Aggressors of Dark Kombat.

Rakuga Kids comes to mind - apparently this thing was 6-button despite mostly looking like kids drawings. I don't nkow if I should be more impressed by that or the existence of Evil zone, which got by with a single attack button.

Professor
3492th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Taito Station 20th anniversary Daigo Event" , posted Tue 22 May 01:33post reply

Quick recap of the Daigo Umehara Street Fighter Event that happened this weekend. May 19 happened to also be his birthday, so he was surprised with a cake during the event (off-stream).

Official Event stream, matchup with top player Bonchan
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/22690978

Stuff not covered in the stream archive.
Exhibition matches and advises given to selected participants at event, and Q&A session.
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17864270 - Nico
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17864422 - Nico
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17864611 - Nico

Ishmael
4383th Post

"Re(1):Taito Station 20th anniversary Daigo Ev" , posted Tue 22 May 06:26post reply

quote:
Quick recap of the Daigo Umehara Street Fighter Event that happened this weekend. May 19 happened to also be his birthday, so he was surprised with a cake during the event (off-stream).

Official Event stream, matchup with top player Bonchan
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/22690978

Stuff not covered in the stream archive.
Exhibition matches and advises given to selected participants at event, and Q&A session.
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17864270 - Nico
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17864422 - Nico
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17864611 - Nico

Thanks for the link. I had wanted to watch that but had been unable to watch the stream. What better way could a person spend their birthday than listening to Nuki hollering for hours on end?

Speaking of video game voices, I was watching this video of special win poses in VF5 and realized that the character voices are still something else. Someone at Sega must think that Lion's voice is perfect just the way it is.

KTallguy
1388th Post

"Re(2):Taito Station 20th anniversary Daigo Ev" , posted Tue 22 May 07:29post reply

quote:
Speaking of video game voices, I was watching this video of special win poses in VF5 and realized that the character voices are still something else. Someone at Sega must think that Lion's voice is perfect just the way it is.

:(

Speaking of VF, they had a launch party for VF5FS in LA and I attended. There were about 150 people, with Fuudo and Chibita doing exhibition matches. It was fun watching people who have never touched the new iteration playing against the national champions... it was an entertaining bloodbath.

I must say though, it was nice playing VF with people. I hope the game does well. Hopefully with VF6 they'll take some cues from Namco and make the game a bit "cooler".

Gojira
2849th Post

"Re(3):Taito Station 20th anniversary Daigo Ev" , posted Tue 22 May 09:30post reply

quote:

:(

Speaking of VF, they had a launch party for VF5FS in LA and I attended. There were about 150 people, with Fuudo and Chibita doing exhibition matches. It was fun watching people who have never touched the new iteration playing against the national champions... it was an entertaining bloodbath.

I must say though, it was nice playing VF with people. I hope the game does well. Hopefully with VF6 they'll take some cues from Namco and make the game a bit "cooler".

Personally I feel that cheese factor of VF is one of the most endearing things about it. I mean making fun of something is still a form of fun, which you just can't do with a good voice. It's just fun to spout of VF nonsense because it's so bad that you don't need to do it justice. I never once wanted Terry Bogard's voice to change, does that mean it's the coolest thing ever? Not really. But it sure is fun to quote it!

Spoon
2309th Post

"Curiosity" , posted Tue 22 May 09:32post reply

So something really interesting is that I've had a few classmates from various parts of China (Beijing, Shanghai, etc.), and whenever they have seen me playing a fighting game on my PC, the first thing they always ask me is if it's KOF.

For all of them, "KOF" is the default assumption for a fighting game, not Street Fighter.

Toxico
5638th Post

"Re(1):Curiosity" , posted Tue 22 May 09:42:post reply

quote:
For all of them, "KOF" is the default assumption for a fighting game, not Street Fighter.

Here is the same. In fact there are even some guys that think that guys like Dalshim are rips off from popular on going anime (In other words, they are "new").
edit : in fact, I don't even know how to type Dalshim (<---- it's like this?), har har.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

Last update : Chapter 23 as of 20/11/11

[this message was edited by Toxico on Tue 22 May 09:46]

KTallguy
1390th Post

"Re(4):Taito Station 20th anniversary Daigo Ev" , posted Tue 22 May 12:05:post reply

quote:
Personally I feel that cheese factor of VF is one of the most endearing things about it. I mean making fun of something is still a form of fun, which you just can't do with a good voice. It's just fun to spout of VF nonsense because it's so bad that you don't need to do it justice. I never once wanted Terry Bogard's voice to change, does that mean it's the coolest thing ever? Not really. But it sure is fun to quote it!

It is fun, just ... you know. :P
I kind of want more people to enjoy VF, but the cheese factor does turn off some.

I'm so used to it, it doesn't really bother me, but Tekken just looks so much cooler! I think they could find a happy medium. I think that joke win poses would be great. But I wish the overall look of the game was more stylish.

Playing KOF games for free on your keyboard has been a time honored tradition... well everywhere I guess? I hate to admit it, but I played KOF on keyboard almost exclusively. Where there's a will, a pirate will find a way.

[this message was edited by KTallguy on Tue 22 May 12:07]

sibarraz
423th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):Taito Station 20th anniversary Daigo Ev" , posted Tue 22 May 14:30post reply

quote:

It is fun, just ... you know. :P
I kind of want more people to enjoy VF, but the cheese factor does turn off some.

I'm so used to it, it doesn't really bother me, but Tekken just looks so much cooler! I think they could find a happy medium. I think that joke win poses would be great. But I wish the overall look of the game was more stylish.

Playing KOF games for free on your keyboard has been a time honored tradition... well everywhere I guess? I hate to admit it, but I played KOF on keyboard almost exclusively. Where there's a will, a pirate will find a way.

I'm fine with that, If weren't because playing the neo geo games in a emulator in hard times of my life where money for videogames was something out of question, I would had never become fan of SNK. At times for location reasons I try to play KOF on a keyboard and I start wondering how I was able to play with it

I played so much in those emulators that whenever SNK release an old game, I will normally buy it even though I will not play it that much, but just because I feel like to purchase them as a thank you to old times

karasu99
935th Post

"Re(6):Street Fighter 25th anniversary box" , posted Thu 24 May 00:37post reply

Pretty huge collection for a surprisingly low price.

www.secret-arts.com

GekigangerV
1753th Post

"Street Fighter 25th anniversary set" , posted Thu 24 May 01:07post reply

Link Here

Its a pretty elaborate set here.

quote:

Games

-Street Fighter X Tekken (including all character and Swap Costume DLC)

-Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition (with all costume DLC)

-Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix

-Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition

Video

-New documentary Blu-ray that highlights the lifelong love affair fans have had with Street Fighter, and how their dedication has affected the game.

-Street Fighter IV, Super SFIV anime movies

-All episodes of the Street Fighter animated series (DELICIOUS!)

-Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie

Light-up Ryu statue

-Brand new statue with light up base. Eight inches tall and frozen in mid Shoryuken.

11 disc soundtrack

-Game music from the past 25 years, including remixes and fan-created music.

64 page hardcover art book

-Containing pieces from fans all over the world.

Ryu's belt

-Full size martial arts black belt for the aspiring World Warrior. Includes Ryu's "Furinkazan" in kanji.

Certificate of Authenticity

-Like any good collector's set, this comes with a lovely piece of paper telling you how limited and special it is. They're all individually numbered, so get one before they disappear! Arrives on September 18.

I was planning on picking up a 360 when VF5FS came out and was going to get most of the Capcom fighting games anyways since my brother now has the PS3. Only bad thing is I won't have a bluray player to play those included videos.

It makes me pretty glad I waited on picking up SFxT since this set will already have all the characters.

Maou
2357th Post

"Re(1):Street Fighter 25th anniversary set" , posted Thu 24 May 01:17post reply

Impressi---wait.
quote:
-Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
Since they are clearly being admirably open in acknowledging the good and bad in SF history, I sure wish the set also included Street Fighter the Movie the Game.

Nekros
458th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Street Fighter 25th anniversary set" , posted Sat 26 May 00:43post reply

quote:
Impressi---wait. -Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix Since they are clearly being admirably open in acknowledging the good and bad in SF history, I sure wish the set also included Street Fighter the Movie the Game.

Don't worry, they also provided us the SFII animated series: it's clearly a tribute in what is good and what is bad in the series.

Can't wait to see Darkstalkers get the same treatment: imagine a brd with BOTH the OAV series and the animated usa cartoon :P

mbisonhatclub
498th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Street Fighter 25th anniversary set" , posted Sat 26 May 04:02post reply

quote:
Don't worry, they also provided us the SFII animated series: it's clearly a tribute in what is good and what is bad in the series.
That's actually the only thing I want out of this whole set. I already have one volume of DVDs, though.

sibarraz
428th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Street Fighter 25th anniversary set" , posted Sun 27 May 13:53post reply

quote:
Impressi---wait. -Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix Since they are clearly being admirably open in acknowledging the good and bad in SF history, I sure wish the set also included Street Fighter the Movie the Game.

Can't wait to see Darkstalkers get the same treatment: imagine a brd with BOTH the OAV series and the animated usa cartoon :P

SF the movie from saturn was actually slightly fun

The arcade game has no redeeming points and isn't even funny in the way of it's so bad that is good

Spoon
2311th Post

"Re(4):Street Fighter 25th anniversary set" , posted Mon 28 May 05:06post reply

So the UFGT tournament (here) has been pretty awesome, and their mystery games events have been hilarious (Jurassic Park Warpath!).

In KOF13, Justin Wong's team of Mr.Karate/Athena/King has produced strong results, in spite of the fact that KOF13 is not a game he has tons of experience in. His Athena and King don't have crazy tricks, but his ability to poke his opponents to death, even when he's forced to comeback from a deficit, is amazing. In fact, when he has to anchor wins with King, he seems to spend a lot of his super meters on guard cancels just to prevent the opponent from being able to gain momentum on him. Plus his poking and pre-emptive AAing with King's st.D seems oddly effective.

DIVEKICK is also the best fighting game at the tournament.
FRAUD DETECTION WARNING

Just a Person
1518th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"New trailers (and characters) for DOA5" , posted Mon 28 May 13:04post reply

Christie vs. Bayman

LeiFang vs. Zack

Bayman is looking like Chris Redfield, and LeiFang looks like she's wearing just body paint instead of clothes in her fight against Zack (this may not be a bad thing, actually). Anyway, I think the game is looking promising. Quite different from VF and Tekken, probably its gameplay won't be as polished as these games', but it looks like a fun game nevertheless.

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

Spoon
2312th Post

"GG XX AC +R suffix" , posted Mon 28 May 22:56post reply

It turns out that the arcade release and now console port will indeed feature significant new character changes!

Except that Faust's changes seem hella weak atm :(((((

red falcon
6115th Post

PSN: Rugalbgood
XBL: RugalBGood
Wii: Doesitmatter?

"Re(1):GG XX AC +R suffix" , posted Wed 30 May 03:13post reply

quote:
It turns out that the arcade release and now console port will indeed feature significant new character changes!

Except that Faust's changes seem hella weak atm :(((((

Judge gauntlet break? I can imagine all kinds of silly applications already. Still, it'd be better if they changed that one frame of vulnerable startup...

Ishmael
4389th Post

"Re(1):New trailers (and characters) for DOA5" , posted Fri 1 Jun 02:00post reply

quote:

LeiFang vs. Zack

Has there been any word about what the character roster is going to look like for this latest DoA game? I'm assuming all the old characters are coming back but you never know.

Speaking of not knowing, I don't know who expected a follow-up to MKvsDC without the MK. I think the shot of Flash getting punched off the planet was supposed to look amazing but all it reminded me of was Gem Fighters.

Neither of these games are going to be DIVEKICK but what game is?

KTallguy
1392th Post

"Re(2):New trailers (and characters) for DOA5" , posted Fri 1 Jun 02:21post reply

quote:

LeiFang vs. Zack
Has there been any word about what the character roster is going to look like for this latest DoA game? I'm assuming all the old characters are coming back but you never know.

I just know that four Virtua Fighter characters will appear. I hope I can make clown costumes for them too.

Just a Person
1519th Post

"Re(3):New trailers (and characters) for DOA5" , posted Fri 1 Jun 06:19post reply

quote:

LeiFang vs. Zack

I just know that four Virtua Fighter characters will appear. I hope I can make clown costumes for them too.

According to an unconfirmed list, all regular characters from DOA4 will be back (including Leon and Gen-Fu), plus Alpha-152 (DOA4 boss), plus Akira, Pai and Sarah (from the VF series) and two new fighters supposedly named Mila and Rig.

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

sibarraz
431th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):New trailers (and characters) for DOA5" , posted Fri 1 Jun 09:58post reply

quote:

LeiFang vs. Zack

According to an unconfirmed list, all regular characters from DOA4 will be back (including Leon and Gen-Fu), plus Alpha-152 (DOA4 boss), plus Akira, Pai and Sarah (from the VF series) and two new fighters supposedly named Mila and Rig.

That only iconic missing character from there is jacky,even though if were from me I will put Aoi there

Pollyanna
3233th Post

PSN: Lilly_Dopamine

"Re(5):New trailers (and characters) for DOA5" , posted Fri 1 Jun 18:44post reply

quote:

That only iconic missing character from there is jacky,even though if were from me I will put Aoi there

Me too, but more than just liking Aoi, I feel like they need an aikido character. Hopefully one of the new ones will fill that role.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Loona
577th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):New trailers (and characters) for DOA5" , posted Fri 1 Jun 19:23post reply

quote:

Me too, but more than just liking Aoi, I feel like they need an aikido character. Hopefully one of the new ones will fill that role.

I'd certainly like to see how a counter-intensive series like DoA would handle a counter-intensive martial art like Aikido. Than again, I think it might have been amusing to add Kagemaru as an extra VF guest to a game already full of ninjas.

Iggy
9339th Post

"Re(6):New trailers (and characters) for DOA5" , posted Sat 2 Jun 04:40post reply

quote:

I only have limited memories of DoA2, but isn't the whole fighting system of the series based on aikido-type counter already? The character would share the same systems as the others, but with just more pretty and elegant moves?

Just a Person
1520th Post

"Re(7):New trailers (and characters) for DOA5" , posted Wed 6 Jun 04:27post reply

Kokoro, Sarah Bryant (from the VF series)... and Tina??

I'm not too sure if I like the inclusion of Akira and Sarah in this game. I like them both in Virtua Fighter, but will they fit in DOA5?

Glad that Ayane's classic dress is back, though! :)

Loona
581th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(8):New trailers (and characters) for DOA5" , posted Wed 6 Jun 04:41post reply

quote:

I'm not too sure if I like the inclusion of Akira and Sarah in this game. I like them both in Virtua Fighter, but will they fit in DOA5?

The command style is similar enough to make it work, at least at a glance - I don't see either side of the mix suffering much from it.

Nekros
464th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(7):New trailers (and characters) for DOA5" , posted Wed 6 Jun 05:10post reply

quote:

I only have limited memories of DoA2, but isn't the whole fighting system of the series based on aikido-type counter already? The character would share the same systems as the others, but with just more pretty and elegant moves?

Yes, in DoA2 once mastered the counter system was very easy to win even on the hardest difficulty (it counts for the original, the Hardcore version and the Xbox remake).

When we'll get a demo for Doa5 that doesn't force us to buy another game?

Gojira
2852th Post

"Re(9):New trailers (and characters) for DOA5" , posted Wed 6 Jun 06:11post reply

quote:

The command style is similar enough to make it work, at least at a glance - I don't see either side of the mix suffering much from it.

Well Sarah has no counters of any kind so it'll be interesting to see how they intend to preserve her style in this game.

Nice to see Tina back, although she always seemed to be the least popular of all DoA characters for some reason, despite being one of the first ones.

Ishmael
4395th Post

"Re(8):New trailers (and characters) for DOA5" , posted Wed 6 Jun 09:36post reply

quote:

Glad that Ayane's classic dress is back, though! :)

Wasn't DoA1 built with VF as its base? Even though the games went down different evolutionary paths they still have a bit of common DNA.

Some new pics of DoA5 have shown up. It's nice to see Hitomi's derp face has been patched up but the poor girl still looks like a bit of a clown.

Say, has anyone tried out the home release of VF5:FS? Any thoughts?

Oroch
1128th Post

PSN: Alpha-Class

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(9):New trailers (and characters) for DOA5" , posted Wed 6 Jun 11:05post reply

quote:

downloading as we speak, its free for psn + for now

badoor
274th Post

PSN: BadoorSNK
XBL: BadoorSNK
Wii: PSVITA:BadoorUSA

Copper Customer

"Re(10):New trailers (and characters) for DOA5" , posted Wed 6 Jun 12:07post reply

quote:

I played it for a while. The game feels very different to me. Much faster than any VF before. And jumping is more instantaneous and higher, yet much less floaty. I think air-time feels shorter than VF5, making jumping much more useful than previous games. The throw system changed too, making it much easier to throw-escape.

I tried Goh, my main in 4Evo and 5, and Kage, my long time standby. Kage seems mostly the same but with added moves, a new forward juggle-centric throw that replaces his old backward high throw(which is now HCB P+G and automatically completes the follow-up move). Goh feels much more different to me. A lot of his strike-attacks changed or at least have new animation. His new throw animations look really cool and are high in "theatrics".

Modes feel pretty standard, just like VF5. I haven't tried Online yet. Sadly, Item customization is blocked by DLC so you need to purchase the DLC Item bundle packs which includes your favorite character. There's a pretty deep Tutorial mode (though I think it's STILL not as complex as 4Evo).

So far, I'm more surprised by the amount of changes. This feels like a much more drastic change then from 4Evo to 5. I really like it. And given that I will be free from obligations in the next few weeks, there'll be plenty of time to learn it. But for now, I feel that the changes with the throw-system seems too empowering to the defender such as:
- Changing it from 8 directions to 3 only (Granted, previously you could enter more than one direction but that required really fast execution, now it's a pure 1/3 guess game).
- The fact that you don't need to time the throw input and can just hold it to escape.
- And how you can both guard and throw escape with the same input

I know very very well that I'm merely a scrub in Virtua Fighter and can't fathom to judge these things, especially given that I only spent a few hours with it. But I hope things would make more sense to me.

Still I'm enjoying it. It's the best free-but-not-really-free game I ever got on PS+ for sure.

hikarutilmitt
559th Post

PSN: hikarutimitt
XBL: hikarutilmitt

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Re(10):New trailers (and characters) fo" , posted Wed 6 Jun 12:55post reply

quote:

I played it for a while. The game feels very different to me. Much faster than any VF before. And jumping is more instantaneous and higher, yet much less floaty. I think air-time feels shorter than VF5, making jumping much more useful than previous games. The throw system changed too, making it much easier to throw-escape.

I tried Goh, my main in 4Evo and 5, and Kage, my long time standby. Kage seems mostly the same but with added moves, a new forward juggle-centric throw that replaces his old backward high throw(which is now HCB P+G and automatically completes the follow-up move). Goh feels much more different to me. A lot of his strike-attacks changed or at least have new animation. His new throw animations look really cool and are high in "theatrics".

Modes feel pretty standard, just like VF5. I haven't tried Online yet. Sadly, Item customization is blocked by DLC so you need to purchase the DLC Item bundle packs which includes your favorite character. There's a pretty deep Tutorial mode (though I think it's STILL not as complex as 4Evo).

So far, I'm more surprised by the amount of changes. This feels like a much more drastic change then from 4Evo to 5. I really like it. And given that I will be free from obligations in the next few weeks, there'll be plenty of time to learn it. But for now, I feel that the changes with the throw-system seems too empowering to the defender such

-- Message too long, Autoquote has been Snipped --

I've been anticipating it ever since it was announced. I'm double dipping the 360 version to show my support, but the PS3 version (my main go-to) being such a great value, whether you have PS+ or not (and I do!), was really a great move on the part of whoever it was that did it.

The changes to the game really are amazing, so far. I feel like I'm having t relearn so much for Aoi that it's reminding me of when I first started playing VF4. There are moves I'm sad to see go or be changed the way they were, but so far adjusting hasn't been difficult and has only been beneficial.

If you have PS+, grab it. If you don't and are interested in the game for what it is, I suggest splurging on the $30 complete edition so you also get ALL of the customizing DLC for the game.

PSN: hikarutimitt
XBL: hikarutilmitt

karasu99
948th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):New trailers (and characters) fo" , posted Thu 7 Jun 00:51post reply

Another video for Injustice that just names the super moves, but also shows Harley Quinn, who I don't think was in the trailer. Or maybe she was, don't know.

Gah, for as fancy looking as the character models are for this game, the gameplay looks... had, well, I guess it looks like it SHOULD look: like someone said earlier, MK vs DC without the MK. Plus, kind of uninspiring and overblown. Maybe I'm just being a stick in the mud, but I have trouble wanting to play this, despite Solomon Grundy being in it.

PS: This one's for the DC readers out there-- is that the current Batman costume design? It's surprisingly ugly!

www.secret-arts.com

shindekudasai
397th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):New trailers (and characters) fo" , posted Thu 7 Jun 11:50post reply

The costumes in this game are to the New 52 as the costumes in MK VS DC are to the pre-reboot costumes .. that is, they took the current looks as a base, and tweaked them as they saw fit. But yeah, so far everyone looks rather horrendous. The Flash was particularly terrible. Then again, I'm also incredibly biased towards the New 52 in general - they got some things right, but most of it is just pointless bullshit for the sake of being pointless bullshit (for instance, in the new timeline Alan Scott aka the golden age Green Lantern is too young to have a gay son [Obsidian] ... so they're just making Alan gay instead).

Just a Person
1522th Post

"DOA5 - Here comes a new challenger!" , posted Sat 30 Jun 13:26post reply

And his name is Rig.

Looks like Goh Hinogami, fights like Hwoarang (although he seems to mix taekwondo with some sort of street fighting) and has no memory of his past. His alternate costume makes him look a bit more original, though. And his fighting style is quite different from what we usually see in the DOA series... I still don't know if I like him or not.

Oh yeah, Bass Armstrong is also confirmed in Rig's trailer (not that anyone had any doubt about his return), as well as a new and kinda inappropriate outfit for Christie (not that anyone had any doubt about the female fighters getting inappropriate outfits in this game... still kinda more appropriate than Yuri and King getting their clothes ripped off in KOF XIII, I guess).

KTallguy
1397th Post

"Re(1):DOA5 - Here comes a new challenger!" , posted Sun 1 Jul 03:02post reply

Interesting new DOA character... he kind of reminds of of an MMA fighter with his hair and face though.

jUAN
4562th Post

PSN: Buttermonster
XBL: Prepaidpenguin
Wii: rofl

"Re(1):DOA5 - Here comes a new challenger!" , posted Mon 2 Jul 03:05post reply

quote:
Looks like Goh Hinogami, fights like Hwoarang (although he seems to mix taekwondo with some sort of street fighting) and has no memory of his past.

they should fine companies whenever they give this back story to any of their characters

Ishmael
4405th Post

"Re(2):DOA5 - Here comes a new challenger!" , posted Mon 2 Jul 10:16post reply

Perhaps the new fighter will be fun to play but as of now he looks about as memorable as that drunken fighter dude or that kid. The more recent male additions to the cast have yet to make much of an impact.

quote:
Looks like Goh Hinogami, fights like Hwoarang (although he seems to mix taekwondo with some sort of street fighting) and has no memory of his past.

they should fine companies whenever they give this back story to any of their characters

Isn't this the second DoA cast member to have this as their back story? I've never met an amnesiac martial artist in my life and yet there are two of those guys running around in DoA.

Just a Person
1523th Post

"Re(3):DOA5 - Here comes a new challenger!" , posted Mon 2 Jul 11:26post reply

quote:
Isn't this the second DoA cast member to have this as their back story? I've never met an amnesiac martial artist in my life and yet there are two of those guys running around in DoA.

To be fair, only one of those guys is still amnesiac; Hayate (who debuted as Ein in DOA2) recovered his memory by the end of DOA2.

karasu99
958th Post

"Re(4):DOA5 - Here comes a new challenger!" , posted Mon 2 Jul 15:36post reply

quote:

To be fair, only one of those guys is still amnesiac; Hayate (who debuted as Ein in DOA2) recovered his memory by the end of DOA2.

Har har, still, it's a pretty thin addition to DoA's already pretty thin storyline. I can't believe they pulled that one twice (Hayate's recovery does't exactly reset their amnesia meter to 0)!

Rig's design is passable, but they keep edging Bass further and further away from his Hulkster roots, just like World Heroes' Muscle Power. I know they're trying to avoid litigation, but surely they can manage 80's Hulkster all these years later without getting sued. Ah well, at least he's still as angry as ever.

www.secret-arts.com

Ishmael
4408th Post

"Let's go crazy!" , posted Fri 6 Jul 09:34post reply

In the continuing effort to make certain everything featuring Thanos gets back in print two old Marvel games are getting re-released. I'm particularly happy to see MSH come back since it lost far too much animation the first time it was on the home systems. But will Anita make it into this version of the game?

Just a Person
1524th Post

"Re(1):Let's go crazy!" , posted Fri 6 Jul 10:05post reply

quote:
In the continuing effort to make certain everything featuring Thanos gets back in print two old Marvel games are getting re-released. I'm particularly happy to see MSH come back since it lost far too much animation the first time it was on the home systems. But will Anita make it into this version of the game?

She probably won't be, but she definitely should be.

But about the Thanos comment, he only appears in one of these two games being re-released...

Spoon
2338th Post

"SC5 costume DLC" , posted Wed 11 Jul 03:38post reply

フォー!

Maou
2365th Post

"Re(1):SC5 costume DLC" , posted Wed 11 Jul 05:26post reply

quote:
フォー!

Ha! Man, after all our SC5 talk and my growing hopes, all it took was a secondhand account from a close friend and SC 1+2 devotee to the effect that another former member of our SC circle said the game was quote "not so good" to make me completely forget to even try it. Maybe these Evo videos can inspire me!

Professor
3516th Post

MMCafe Owner

"DIMPS acquires rights to Rumblefish series" , posted Fri 20 Jul 11:34post reply

http://www.dimps.co.jp/top.html

Translation in a nutshell: Dimps has acquired the IP, trademark and copyrights for Rumblefish and Rumblefish 2 which were previously owned by Sega. With the rights now in their hands, the company is making plans for the title.

Dimps has already made a minor update to Rumblefish's official portal site, saying that "new information" will be released very soon. The site also links to an official Twitter that launched simultaneously.

exodus
4266th Post

"Re(1):DIMPS acquires rights to Rumblefish ser" , posted Fri 20 Jul 11:44post reply

quote:

Translation in a nutshell: Dimps has acquired the IP, trademark and copyrights for Rumblefish and Rumblefish 2 which were previously owned by Sega. With the rights now in their hands, the company is making plans for the title.

Dimps has already made a minor update to Rumblefish's official portal site, saying that "new information" will be released very soon. The site also links to an official Twitter that launched simultaneously.

FUCK YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I came back just to say that.

Toxico
5671th Post

"Re(2):DIMPS acquires rights to Rumblefish ser" , posted Fri 20 Jul 11:45post reply

quote:

And you did it in the wrong thread. (You too Prof).

Obscene Voodoo Dance Teleport

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

Last update : Chapter 24 as of 15/06/12

Professor
3518th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):DIMPS acquires rights to Rumblefish ser" , posted Fri 20 Jul 12:36post reply

quote:

FUCK YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

BRAAAANDOOOOON! Didn't know you did Twitter, damn your icon looks so spiffy.

And I missed out on Iggy's eariler post too, I thought this was the fighting games thread ... I think I'm getting senile? Where did I leave my glasses on my head?

chazumaru
887th Post

"Re(3):DIMPS acquires rights to Rumblefish ser" , posted Sat 21 Jul 06:56:post reply

quote:
Where did I leave my glasses on my head?

You can't find them on your head because you still have your wig on.

無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は無限早見は

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Sat 21 Jul 07:00]

Digitalboy
765th Post

PSN: n/a
XBL: JestingGenie99(automatednamecreatedbyXBL)

"Re(4):DIMPS acquires rights to Rumblefish ser" , posted Sat 21 Jul 12:02post reply

This pleases me so much.
quote:

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

KTallguy
1403th Post

"Re(5):DIMPS acquires rights to Rumblefish ser" , posted Sun 22 Jul 08:21post reply

Hmm, I wonder where they'll take the series... or if they'll still use "puppet tech".

gekigangerv
1764th Post

XBL: gekijmo5

"Re(6):DIMPS acquires rights to Rumblefish ser" , posted Mon 23 Jul 02:33post reply

Hey Brandon! I love the insert credit podcast.

quote:
Hmm, I wonder where they'll take the series... or if they'll still use "puppet tech".

Now that they are handling this on their own I wonder if they can afford a 2D game. The puppet tech did make the game look "cheap" like a flash game, but I imagine looks can be deceiving.

Werent the sprites really vector art like the gundam battle assault games and don't those sprites upscale very well? It would be interesting to see a psn or xbl release of these games in the western markets and they still look acceptable.

Professor
3523th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Rumblefish2 ported to NesicaLive" , posted Wed 25 Jul 04:38:post reply

According to reports, Dimps is location testing Rumblefish 2 for the NesicaLive in Akihabara Hey starting yesterday. Its balance has been tweaked. An official announcement should be coming today or somewhere very soon. No word on a console port although that wouldn't be too hard to imagine.

System stuff
- screen ratio seems to be the same 4:3 as the original. Moves lists are on the side.
- It's Nesica card compliant, meaning player data can be saved
- Survival and Time attack mode can be played using the same input code as the original game (the command is displayed on the screen for convenience's sake)
- Fonts used in the victory and intermission scenes have been changed
- There's a loading screen and tutorial with a new female character illustration (probably a Probe-Nexus worker)
- The bosses are unlocked by default
- The graphical hit effects look more larger/dynamic now
- The character's shadows look more blurry than before
- After the 4th match, there's a fanservice cutscene that happens by tilting the joystick, at least with Garnet.

More details at 2ch but I'm too tired to translate the balance changes

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 25 Jul 04:45]

Iggy
9360th Post

"Re(1):Rumblefish2 ported to NesicaLive" , posted Wed 25 Jul 04:57post reply

That didn't take long... thanks for the update Prof!

Professor
3526th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Rumblefish2 ported to NesicaLive" , posted Wed 25 Jul 18:02:post reply

I'm moving the Dimps/Rumblefish subject to its own thread.

http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/forums/bbs/messages/13356.shtml#

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 25 Jul 20:08]

GekigangerV
1766th Post

"Persona Sprite Rips" , posted Thu 26 Jul 12:08post reply

Link Here

Courtesy of the people at dust loop. Pretty fast work.

Toxico
5680th Post

"Re(1):Persona Sprite Rips" , posted Sat 28 Jul 05:40post reply

Dead or Alive 5 preorder bonus : Bunny suits.

....... I'm soooooo rooting for this game to flop in an even "better" way than NG3.

さっきの感じならあと100発はもつ‥‥と思うぜ

Last update : Chapter 24 as of 15/06/12

Ishmael
4421th Post

"Re(2):Persona Sprite Rips" , posted Mon 30 Jul 05:31post reply

quote:
Dead or Alive 5 preorder bonus : Bunny suits.

I like that there is an English variation on this clip that features different footage and horrible voice acting. Looking back, I now realize how good we had it when all of DoA's tacky fetish outfits were included on the disc. Ah, those were the days!

quote:
....... I'm soooooo rooting for this game to flop in an even "better" way than NG3.

While I wish both games well, I suspect DoA5 is going to grind TTT2 into the dirt.

Pollyanna
3263th Post

PSN: Lilly_Dopamine

"Re(3):Persona Sprite Rips" , posted Mon 30 Jul 17:15post reply

quote:

While I wish both games well, I suspect DoA5 is going to grind TTT2 into the dirt.

TTT2 seems like such a good effort with so much to offer that I'll be very disappointed if it does poorly. I feel like that will show that the market for fighting games has once again flown out the window.

But if it does poorly and DOA5 does good...I don't know what that says. Maybe good things for fighting games, but definitely good things for boobs?

(I have both preordered, but I wish DOA5 was coming earlier, since it's decidedly less meaty)

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Nekros
474th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Persona Sprite Rips" , posted Tue 31 Jul 22:11post reply

quote:

TTT2 seems like such a good effort with so much to offer that I'll be very disappointed if it does poorly. I feel like that will show that the market for fighting games has once again flown out the window.

But if it does poorly and DOA5 does good...I don't know what that says. Maybe good things for fighting games, but definitely good things for boobs?

(I have both preordered, but I wish DOA5 was coming earlier, since it's decidedly less meaty)

Maybe DoA will have a chance since is a new entry in the series after a lot of time, plus the VF chars. Tekken isn't that new, especially if you have played the arcade. But at the same time and for the same reason Tekken results more interesting and appealing (it's called "familiarity" XD)... I preordered Persona Arena instead, will get both TT2 and DOA5 after a pricedrop.

Just a Person
1527th Post

"Re(5):New DOA5 trailer (Helena is back!)" , posted Thu 9 Aug 11:47:post reply

quote:

Maybe DoA will have a chance since is a new entry in the series after a lot of time, plus the VF chars. Tekken isn't that new, especially if you have played the arcade. But at the same time and for the same reason Tekken results more interesting and appealing (it's called "familiarity" XD)... I preordered Persona Arena instead, will get both TT2 and DOA5 after a pricedrop.

Speaking of DOA5, it recently got a new trailer with Helena Douglas announcing the new tournament and all fighter watching it.

Apparently, Alpha-152 will be back, and the trailer also shows someone that seems to be Victor Donavan (the businessman who is basically the villain behind all games) wearing a mask... maybe he's the final boss this time?

All in all, it's a nice trailer, although I'm a bit upset that Leon isn't in it (or at least I couldn't see him in it)... I really liked to use him in DOA3.

[this message was edited by Just a Person on Fri 10 Aug 05:57]

karasu99
968th Post

"Re: NeoGeo Anniversary" , posted Sat 11 Aug 12:13post reply

I'm sure this is nothing new given all the aficionados around here, but I thought it was well compiled and pretty funny.

20 years? That just doesn't seem right. And it's not just because it make me feel a little old.

www.secret-arts.com

Gojira
2863th Post

"Re(1):Re: NeoGeo Anniversary" , posted Sat 11 Aug 14:23post reply

quote:
I'm sure this is nothing new given all the aficionados around here, but I thought it was well compiled and pretty funny.

20 years? That just doesn't seem right. And it's not just because it make me feel a little old.

Probably because this video was released by Arcadia 2 years ago since Neo Geo's 20th anniversiary was actually in 2010.

kofoguz
995th Post

"Re(2):Re: NeoGeo X Gold Announcement." , posted Mon 13 Aug 16:57post reply

Finally more information, abot new neo-Geo handheld and there's more stuff.
Neo-Geo Gold X with Stick and Station.

Ishmael
4429th Post

"Re(3):Re: NeoGeo X Gold Announcement." , posted Wed 15 Aug 05:55post reply

I love relationship charts for games, especially when they reveal something unexpectedly funny. The chart listing the currently revealed characters in DoA5 is no exception. Even the VF characters managed to have some sort of connection to the cast, which is more than can be said for the friendless and unloved Brad Wong. The poor guy, much like the cheese, stands alone.

Professor
3555th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Mortal Kombat 9 arcade release" , posted Wed 15 Aug 13:45:post reply

Photos:
http://lockerz.com/s/234742444
http://lockerz.com/s/234742349

According to arcade news site AM-Net, an arcade version of Mortal Kombat is currently location testing in Chiba prefecture, Japan. There's currently very little info aside that it seems to be based on MK9. No news whether it's a PCB or NesicaLive release.

Given that Chiba is in the outskirts, there hasn't been any reports despite that the test is supposed to have been running since the 13th(Mon). It'll be around for a week so it's just a matter of time before we hear something solid about it. The beta test is running at an arcade called Yawata Ace.

AM-Net
Yawata Ace

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 15 Aug 14:10]

Evil_Yagami
37th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):Mortal Kombat 9 arcade release" , posted Wed 15 Aug 20:56post reply

@ Professor, thank you very much for posting the news.

I would like to ask you, is there any news about 50th Jamma Show in Japan?! I wonder if SNK will present anything this year,

Professor
3555th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Mortal Kombat 9 arcade release" , posted Thu 16 Aug 03:27post reply

quote:
@ Professor, thank you very much for posting the news.

I would like to ask you, is there any news about 50th Jamma Show in Japan?! I wonder if SNK will present anything this year,

There's no Jamma show this year. The next one will be merged with the AOU show and be held in spring 2013.

Ishmael
4431th Post

"Re(3):Mortal Kombat 9 arcade release" , posted Thu 16 Aug 04:50post reply

Just when I thought fighting game news couldn't get any nuttier...

Has there been any official word from Midway or anyone else about this? I would love to hear the explanation for MK's unexected return to the arcades in, of all places, Japan. Did the old MK arcade games ever even make it over to Japan?

Maou
2370th Post

"Re(4):Mortal Kombat 9 arcade release" , posted Thu 16 Aug 05:35post reply

quote:
I would love to hear the explanation for MK's unexected return to the arcades in, of all places, Japan. Did the old MK arcade games ever even make it over to Japan?

I don't think in all my life I've ever even seen anything MK related in Japan, let alone talked to a real live human being who had heard about it. Apparently enough people played it to at least go to the trouble of shortening its name to "Moh-Kon"...abbreviations are usually predicated on somebody knowing what you're talking about, I guess.

karasu99
971th Post

"Re(5):Mortal Kombat 9 arcade release" , posted Thu 16 Aug 08:48post reply

quote:
I would love to hear the explanation for MK's unexected return to the arcades in, of all places, Japan. Did the old MK arcade games ever even make it over to Japan?
I don't think in all my life I've ever even seen anything MK related in Japan, let alone talked to a real live human being who had heard about it. Apparently enough people played it to at least go to the trouble of shortening its name to "Moh-Kon"...abbreviations are usually predicated on somebody knowing what you're talking about, I guess.

That surprised me too-- not that I could speak for MK's actual presence in Japan. Maybe it's just that Midway sees how big of a deal all the new fighting games like P4 and BlazBlue have been lately or something.

I wonder if this will be a Capcom-esque move where a bunch of new crap is added to the arcade version and then it gets sold again to all the home players as 'MK: Arcade Edition' or somesuch. But that's just cynical old me!

www.secret-arts.com

GekigangerV
1772th Post

"Re(6):Mortal Kombat 9 arcade release" , posted Thu 16 Aug 12:11post reply

Wow, colored me surprised to see MK9 arcade release in Japan.

Just FYI, Midway has been out of business for a while. MK is now developed by the same crew now called NetherRealm Studios and published by WB games.

It would be great if we got a WB game cross over on the arcade release with Juliet Starling from Lollipop Chainsaw.

Professor
3556th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):Mortal Kombat 9 arcade release" , posted Thu 16 Aug 16:51post reply

quote:

Has there been any official word from Midway or anyone else about this? I would love to hear the explanation for MK's unexected return to the arcades in, of all places, Japan. Did the old MK arcade games ever even make it over to Japan?

I remember MK1 being a big deal in Japan back when it was released, but the series has been dead otherwise. So yeah, it's raaare.

There was apparently a report of trophies popping out during the location test, so who knows... maybe there was a console inside the cabinet, or it was literally a direct port of the 360 version to the Nesica/TypeX machine, which runs on Microsoft Windows XP.

sibarraz
457th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):Mortal Kombat 9 arcade release" , posted Fri 17 Aug 06:25post reply

quote:

I remember MK1 being a big deal in Japan back when it was released, but the series has been dead otherwise. So yeah, it's raaare.

There was apparently a report of trophies popping out during the location test, so who knows... maybe there was a console inside the cabinet, or it was literally a direct port of the 360 version to the Nesica/TypeX machine, which runs on Microsoft Windows XP.

Out of curiosity but which were the arcade games that were a big deal in japan between 1991 and at least 95?

Professor
3558th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(6):Mortal Kombat 9 arcade release" , posted Mon 20 Aug 10:41post reply

The MK location test is reportedly a troll!

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/518332101-Mortal-kombat-VGA-Game-Board-high-resolution-high-performance-game-for-VGA-monitor-LCD-monitor-Arcade-wholesalers.html

Sibarraz: Are you talking about fighting games or arcade titles in general? With FGs, from the top of my head there's a lot... Street Fighter 2, Fatal Fury2/SP, SFA, VF1/2.... man, that was really the golden era. In fact, fighting games caused a huge rise in arcades and there were about 7 just around my neighboorhood. Now there's only 1.

sibarraz
458th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(7):Mortal Kombat 9 arcade release" , posted Mon 20 Aug 15:05post reply

quote:
The MK location test is reportedly a troll!

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/518332101-Mortal-kombat-VGA-Game-Board-high-resolution-high-performance-game-for-VGA-monitor-LCD-monitor-Arcade-wholesalers.html

Sibarraz: Are you talking about fighting games or arcade titles in general? With FGs, from the top of my head there's a lot... Street Fighter 2, Fatal Fury2/SP, SFA, VF1/2.... man, that was really the golden era. In fact, fighting games caused a huge rise in arcades and there were about 7 just around my neighboorhood. Now there's only 1.

Interesting, I always heard that FFS was the game that made SNK in the fg division, is sad to hear that from 7 only one arcade is left

Is curious, my local arcade was very bad the last year, but this year they had bought tons of machines, and there was a payoff since people had been going on more to the local, according to the owner, the arcades will revive thanks to china, don't know how will be in japan.

And lol with MK

Ishmael
4433th Post

"Re(8):Mortal Kombat 9 arcade release" , posted Tue 21 Aug 02:33post reply

Nuts, and here I was hoping that MK would headline SBO next year! It would have been the only way to properly follow up the wonder that was this year's Tougeki.

GG XX Accent Core Plus is coming to PSN and XBox Live in September. This version is going to be based on the PS2 version and not the GGXXACPR version that is currently in the arcades. That version of the game will be added in at some future point. I wonder how that news will affect the sales of plain old vanilla GGXXACP next month? Will that R make all the difference?