Vega's nationality - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2846 Views )

Maou
1947th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Vega's nationality" , posted Sun 14 Mar 13:17:post reply

RENEGADE THREAD This separatist thread has defied the territorial integrity of the SSFIV thread.

Following the rather awesome thread we had a while ago on Dudley's race (I always thought he was black, but the Indian case was a new perspective), let's talk about dictator Vega.

Obviously, there just -isn't- any answer or secret, Capcom's never cared, and in a way, that's kind of cool and impressive among a bunch of 'culturally representative' fighters. But I don't care, give me a good reason for where this man and his Shadowloo are from!

Let's see, his original SF II stage was in...Thailand, wasn't it? (Unless it was in Burma...) I seem to recall that his SF Zero 2 airstrip stage where he faced off with Nash was in Venezuela. SF Zero 3 is in lame lame "Shadowloo Zone XXXXX ?????" so that's no fun.

My guess: hmm, oppressive military man based in South Asia...is he an offshoot of Burma's junta? An American crime kingpin? A stateless refugee who became a military man?

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Sun 14 Mar 13:18]

Replies:

whitesword
1669th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Vega's nationality" , posted Sun 14 Mar 14:26post reply

Well, in Zero 3 he does mention that he was known by many names across history, likely implying that he kept getting reincarnated. He of course dies sometime during Zero 3 and later gets revived in a new body made by his scientists, explaining the lack of stockiness in post Zero incarnations.

Now if I were to put on my crazed Star Gladiator fanboy hat on for a moment, I would like to point out that Doctor Edward Bilstein also dies once (at the end of Star Gladiator 1), but gets revived later in a new body made by his scientists. Bilstein also has a device very similar to Vega's Psycho Drive.

What makes this interesting is that:

-Bilstein got started on his Plasma Energy research after he found notes left over by one of his ancestors, who supposedly failed to complete his work.
-Bilstein, while American, is supposedly of German origins, which means his ancestor was from Germany. (I think this was mentioned on the old SG1 site, but that doesn't seem to exist anymore, but regardless, his name is clearly German)
-The name of Bilstein's organization is the Fourth Empire, which is obviously a reference to the Third Reich.

What I'm basically trying to say is: I believe Bilstein's ancestor was a Nazi scientist who worked on Plasma/Psycho energy research on behest of Vega a.k.a HITLER.

...now I want a Street Fighter game set during WWII with Psycho Hitler for a last boss and possibly Goutetsu as playable character. (Akatsuki Blitzkampf was lacking in the Hitler department..)

Maou
1947th Post

"Re(2):Vega's nationality" , posted Sun 14 Mar 14:50post reply

quote:

What I'm basically trying to say is: I believe Bilstein's ancestor was a Nazi scientist who worked on Plasma/Psycho energy research on behest of Vega a.k.a HITLER.
THIS IS EVEN BETTER THAN I HAD HOPED

Spoon
1914th Post

"Re(3):Vega's nationality" , posted Sun 14 Mar 15:20post reply

Let's not forget about Cammy: in some interpretations he was intending to reincarnate himself into, has blond hair and blue eyes. None of the other dolls, nor Hitler himself, conform to the Aryan ideals in that regard.

SHADOWLOO UBER ALLES

The only other doll that has blonde hair was the masked one. SFEX's Doctrine Dark also had blond hair and a mask... and he was born in GERMANY. Didn't Doctrine Dark also have some connection with Guile/Charlie? Scary.

However, if we are following the stereotypes model of naming and design, then Bilstein has a problem: the "-stein" suffix is commonly observed in Jewish names. It's hard to believe that Bilstein could've been a scientist of the Reich given a stereotypically Jewish element in his name. All of this of course ties interestingly and perhaps tragically into the Fourth Reich theory.

karasu99
310th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(3):Vega's nationality" , posted Sun 14 Mar 15:25:post reply

quote:
THIS IS EVEN BETTER THAN I HAD HOPED

The cafe never disappoints me.

These are great ideas, all of them.

[this message was edited by karasu99 on Mon 15 Mar 00:53]

Amakusa
839th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):Vega's nationality" , posted Sun 14 Mar 15:30post reply

What I want to know is who was crazy enough to get jizzy with Bilstein to have Rain?

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

Grave
1310th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(4):Vega's nationality" , posted Sun 14 Mar 16:01post reply

My reaction to this thread
quote:
The cafe never fails to disappoint.

I'm pretty sure you don't mean that!

Maou
1949th Post

"Re(5):Vega's nationality" , posted Sun 14 Mar 16:26:post reply

YES, YES!

Whitesword and Spoon get a gold star and a link to Wakamoto's radio show.

You're all still fired until you give me more hypotheses on Vega's nationality, though.

[this message was edited by Maou on Sun 14 Mar 16:40]

Olivier Hague
141th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):Vega's nationality" , posted Sun 14 Mar 20:20post reply

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet (as I'm pretty sure I became aware of that site courtesy of the Café).

Nekros
250th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(6):Vega's nationality" , posted Sun 14 Mar 20:20post reply

Abel himself is blond with blue/grey eyes. A clone/perfect soldier of the arian race?
Seth and Abel are names from Jewish Bible, and with Kain are the sons of Adam.

Also, Gill and Urien resemble Seth in many forms (stance, focus, normals).
Gill is probably a wrong form of the Jewish name Gil (meaning "joy" or "age", in fact he has the plan to bring a new age).
Urien is Breton name, but it resembles again Jewish names like Urim, Uriel or Urizen but whitout a particular significance related to the character.

But similiraties don't end here. Seth is a "prototype" to Gill in metareferencial ways... in origin Gill was planned to have Yin/Yang powers instead of Fire/Ice so his colors were white and black. To programmers at time that seemed a little too simple to prove the power of the new CPS3 so repainted him red and blue.
Seth has a Tao, the unification of Yin/Yang principle in his stomach, and his the source of his powers.

Ishmael
3717th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(7):Vega's nationality" , posted Mon 15 Mar 00:08post reply

But how does the distillery he owns in SF4 figure into all of this?

karasu99
310th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(5):Vega's nationality" , posted Mon 15 Mar 00:52:post reply

quote:
The cafe never fails to disappoint.
I'm pretty sure you don't mean that!

WHOOPS! Yeah, you're right, it was the liquor robbing me of true human communication. What I meant was 'the cafe never disappoints me'. Or something like that.

And in answer to the original question: I'm so old school that I refuse to think Vega is from anywhere but Thailand, as per his SFII stage.

[this message was edited by karasu99 on Mon 15 Mar 00:54]

Count Hihihi
224th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(6):Vega's nationality" , posted Mon 15 Mar 01:20post reply

quote:

And in answer to the original question: I'm so old school that I refuse to think Vega is from anywhere but Thailand, as per his SFII stage.

Someone translate this?

I seem to remember that there were thai volunteers fighting for the third reich, but I am drunk and yeah.

Kotaku Ono and the Fanboy spirit.

justicekyo
707th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(8):Vega's nationality" , posted Mon 15 Mar 05:00post reply

quote:
But how does the distillery he owns in SF4 figure into all of this?

Shadoloo: taking over the world,one beerkeg at a time! LOL!

Maou
1949th Post

"Re(9):Vega's nationality" , posted Mon 15 Mar 05:45post reply

Curse you, Seth, you're not getting in the way of my Vega investigation!

So far, I have: Thai, German, or Burmese (I still like this one)

Please present a compelling case for him as Russian, Venezuelan, and...French.

Olivier Hague
142th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(10):Vega's nationality" , posted Mon 15 Mar 07:37post reply

quote:
Burmese (I still like this one)

But... isn't that one from the... *gasp* ... live-action movie?

Loona
303th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(7):Vega's nationality" , posted Mon 15 Mar 17:31post reply

quote:

Someone translate this?

I seem to remember that there were thai volunteers fighting for the third reich, but I am drunk and yeah.

I don't have the time to handle something that big here at work, but yeah, the article covers similar political movements in Thailand at the time of WWII and some collaborations from specific Thai individuals.
If there's real interest in that I can try to handle this at home.

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Toxico
4888th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Vega's nationality" , posted Mon 15 Mar 22:33post reply

Maybe we should mention that in Riki-oh, there it was an anarchist place called "The cape" which was a countryless wasteland which was lead by a "boss" type of guy... Riki-oh

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Update 21 as of 29/01/10 (Temporary mega upload link).

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 15 as of 21/01/10

karasu99
310th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Vega's nationality" , posted Tue 16 Mar 02:29post reply

quote:
Riki-oh

UNCANNY.

I had never really suspected the sheer density of 'creative borrowing' present in manga and video games.

Spoon
1915th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Vega's nationality" , posted Tue 16 Mar 04:36post reply

quote:
Maybe we should mention that in Riki-oh, there it was an anarchist place called "The cape" which was a countryless wasteland which was lead by a "boss" type of guy... Riki-oh

Too bad the movie only focused on like the first volume of the manga. The manga got so bizarre that by the end of it I thought it should've been called Riki's Bizarre Adventure.

Then again, the panels of Riki-oh punching through that one cell block boss's arm was just short of plagiarized from Jojo part 1.

Ishmael
3720th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Vega's nationality" , posted Tue 16 Mar 04:52post reply

quote:
Riki-oh
UNCANNY.

I had never really suspected the sheer density of 'creative borrowing' present in manga and video games.

It's like back when movie studios had stock sets of actors and the same cast would pop up in different movies playing essentially the same roles. When I think of manga and games that way it seems as though that girl with the pale blue hair and red eyes is in everything.

Toxico
4890th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Vega's nationality" , posted Tue 16 Mar 06:03post reply

quote:
The manga got so bizarre that by the end of it I thought it should've been called Riki's Bizarre Adventure.

Then again, the panels of Riki-oh punching through that one cell block boss's arm was just short of plagiarized from Jojo part 1.

Attaching the evil head into the hero's body

duh!

obscene voodoo dance teleport

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Update 21 as of 29/01/10 (Temporary mega upload link).

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 15 as of 21/01/10

Maou
1955th Post

"The ancient evil returns" , posted Tue 16 Mar 13:12post reply

quote:
When I think of manga and games that way it seems as though that girl with the pale blue hair and red eyes is in everything.
BY ALTHENA WHAT HAVE YOU UNLEASHED

She-who-must-not-be-named!

Maese
581th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):The ancient evil returns" , posted Wed 17 Mar 20:50post reply

quote:
When I think of manga and games that way it seems as though that girl with the pale blue hair and red eyes is in everything.

LEARN YOUR ANIMU, IT'S NOT ONLY ABOUT GIRLS YOU KNOW

On the other hand, Wakamoto is Teh Man. Gotta love his radio program.... He simply lets his two squeaky voiced bitches assistants do the real work and all he does is making witty remarks about his guest and telling typical drunken oyaji stories. The guy sure knows how to make a simple countryside trip with his missus sound awesome and epic with the sheer power of his voice.

I'd like to contribute further to this thread with some fancy theories tracing Vega/Dictator's ancestry to the sunken continent of Mu, or whatever... But actually I'm so old fashioned myself that I have always regarded him as thai, cambodian or the like, seeing his vaguely southeast-asian facial features on his original SFII portrait. Not to mention that his stage was also supposed to be Thailand on that very first SFII.

But hey, at least I think I can trace where Dicator's fashion sense (and probably his passion for body-building too!) ultimately comes from:

BEHOLD THE POWER OF MISHIMA YUKIO!!