Question about fighting game sprites - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1491 Views )

sfried
482th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Gold Customer

"Question about fighting game sprites" , posted Wed 24 Feb 11:37post reply

Out of curiosity, in KoF '98 and earlier, what was the usual pixel height of a regular character sprite compared to that of the younger opponents? Let's say someone like Whip with relation to Athena: are they relatively shorter or do they appear much the same height for hitbox balance?
Playing the games they appear about the same, but it's hard to judge when the sprites keep moving.

I tried looking at VGMuseum for some pic comparisons/pixel height analasys but it's pretty much useless since they scale down the images.

Replies:

Amakusa
837th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):Question about fighting game sprites" , posted Wed 24 Feb 12:37post reply

quote:

I tried looking at VGMuseum for some pic comparisons/pixel height analasys but it's pretty much useless since they scale down the images.

Are you sure that isn't just how big it is normally? I mean, our screen resolutions these days are pretty monstrous.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

sfried
483th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Question about fighting game sprites" , posted Wed 24 Feb 12:46post reply

quote:

Are you sure that isn't just how big it is normally? I mean, our screen resolutions these days are pretty monstrous.

VGMuseum has their pics in 304px × 220px. Isn't the height suppose to be 320px?

Spoon
1899th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(3):Question about fighting game sprites" , posted Wed 24 Feb 13:18post reply

quote:

VGMuseum has their pics in 304px × 220px. Isn't the height suppose to be 320px?

I remember reading that a number of NG games just used the 304 pixels for the height, so it's quite possible that that's not an error. However, I can't remember if KOF is one of those games.

sfried
484th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Question about fighting game sprites" , posted Wed 24 Feb 14:16post reply

quote:
I remember reading that a number of NG games just used the 304 pixels for the height, so it's quite possible that that's not an error. However, I can't remember if KOF is one of those games.

That might be a possibility.

Still couldn't find what I'm looking for with the shots they have. I know most large characters are usually the ones to have noticibly taller sprites, but it looks as if charaters like Bao are even at chestheight with th regular cast.

Loona
299th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Question about fighting game sprites" , posted Wed 24 Feb 20:21post reply

quote:
Out of curiosity, in KoF '98 and earlier, what was the usual pixel height of a regular character sprite compared to that of the younger opponents? Let's say someone like Whip with relation to Athena: are they relatively shorter or do they appear much the same height for hitbox balance?

Off the top of my head I can't remember exact sprite sizes, but your mention of hitboxes reminded me of this - even if hitboxes aren't its primary concern, it mentions a way to see them in classic KoF games through emulators.

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"