Anime - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (5087 Views )

Tai-Pan
416th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Gold Customer

"Anime" , posted Mon 15 Feb 12:56post reply

The Olympic's figure skating competition touched me on my soft side, so I started thinking about Anime.
Can you recommend a good anime Cowboy Bebop or maybe Gankutsuo style? Those two really made a mark on me…anything new (or maybe old) that could strike a chord and make me believe in anime again?
Please help as since I arrived to America I lost my soft intelligent side. And I don’t give two cents about regular shows (such as Lost, etc).
(I started watching Gankutsuo at the same time my wife started learning about French wine…best nights ever..).

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Replies:

Maou
1916th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Escaflowne" , posted Mon 15 Feb 13:18:post reply

quote:
Please help as since I arrived to America I lost my soft intelligent side.
Naturally! I don't think those are allowed in the United States, except maybe in sitcoms.
quote:

Can you recommend a good anime Cowboy Bebop or maybe Gankutsuo style? Those two really made a mark on me…anything new (or maybe old) that could strike a chord and make me believe in anime again?

Hmm, if by "similar to Bebop or Gankutsuou" you mean alternately "brilliant and well directed" or "visually interesting," you could always go with Tenkuu No Escaflowne/Vision of Escaflowne . The nineties were a good time for TV, and Esca is one of the best. The production values are insanely high, and it's a real, grown-up story with a lot of heart. If you read the description alone, it may sound like an odd fantasy-mecha mix and the character designs may be slightly unfamiliar to some, but I've yet to meet anyone who didn't love it once showed.

It's also got Kanno Youko's finest score. Eat that, 'Seatbelts.' Esca's albums are even better.

Oh, and avoid the siren call of the gorgeous but disappointing movie re-imagining. It's like the Advent Children of Esca.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Mon 15 Feb 16:32]

Toxico
4856th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Escaflowne" , posted Mon 15 Feb 15:27post reply

Well, since you are from sudamerica I find it odd that you don't brag around off having a marvelous infancy surrounded by things like Space Adventure Cobra, Captain Harlock, The Rose of Versailles or Conan the Future Boy. If you do happen to 'accept' the quality of old anime productions there are quite catchy to the eye, and posses quite a good environment that doesn't really have anything to envy to the anime of today.

In more current anime trends, I have been strongly advised to watch Shigurui for his well worked sense of action. I have also received positive feed back from Pet shops of horrors for his foolish, cheap gore movie style of irony and setting. These two series have strong placement in my "to watch" list.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Update 21 as of 29/01/10 (Temporary mega upload link).

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 15 as of 21/01/10

Tai-Pan
418th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Escaflowne" , posted Tue 16 Feb 01:40post reply

quote:
Well, since you are from sudamerica I find it odd that you don't brag around off having a marvelous infancy surrounded by things like Space Adventure Cobra, Captain Harlock, The Rose of Versailles or Conan the Future Boy.

I don't brag about it, but I did grow up watching them..
And I also experienced Escaflowne several years ago..
No hope for me..

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

karasu99
288th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):Escaflowne" , posted Tue 16 Feb 02:35post reply

Well, I'll add my humble suggestion to the mix: seek out Diebuster, sometimes packaged as 'Gunbuster 2'. Knowledge of the original Gunbuster is suggested but not strictly required.

I found Diebuster to have great pacing, story, animation, and character and mecha design. It's perhaps not the most cerebral anime ever, but it's fun.

Maou
1917th Post

"Re(3):Escaflowne" , posted Tue 16 Feb 02:45:post reply

quote:
I don't brag about it, but I did grow up watching them..And I also experienced Escaflowne several years ago..No hope for me..

Oh hell, you know Esca? You're pretty much out of luck, then. TV in the 2000's is a barren wasteland.

You could watch the 13 episode new Harlock OAV from a few years ago! Or maybe collect all 100+ episodes of the old Galaxy Express 999 TV show, even if the movies have a better director!

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 16 Feb 03:31]

Tai-Pan
419th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Escaflowne" , posted Tue 16 Feb 03:41post reply

quote:
You're pretty much out of luck, then. TV in the 2000's is a barren wasteland.

Ahh I didn't want to hear that even though I knew it was coming...
Thanks for the suggestions.

Ishmael
3685th Post

"Re(5):Escaflowne" , posted Tue 16 Feb 04:48post reply

I don't know if any of these shows are what you're looking for, but this what I've been watching lately.

Le Chevalier D'Eon: The idea of making a supernatural action series starring d'Eon de Beaumont is so bonkers that I have to see this series through to the bitter end.

Spice and Wolf: The show's emphasis on mercantilism is surprising but welcome. Watching our hero and heroine selling products for a loss in order to make an eventual profit makes for riveting viewing.

To scratch my nostalgia itch I've also been watching the occasional episode of Hokuto no Ken on Hulu. Odd how there's never been another series quite like that one.

Pollyanna
2853th Post

"Re(4):Escaflowne" , posted Tue 16 Feb 06:09post reply

quote:

Oh hell, you know Esca? You're pretty much out of luck, then. TV in the 2000's is a barren wasteland.

You could watch the 13 episode new Harlock OAV from a few years ago! Or maybe collect all 100+ episodes of the old Galaxy Express 999 TV show, even if the movies have a better director!

Give up the nostalgia! I bet you still wear Hammer pants, don't you? Or maybe you fashion your look off of Togusa from Ghost in the Shell?

I love Escaflowne and Cowboy Bebop myself, but the 90's can keep their gaudy primary colors. Sure, the early 2000's utilized the worst color schemes I've ever seen (with the dreadful early use of digital coloring), but the late 90's are just as guilty.

I've seen more interesting, artistic series in the last 5 years than the 20 before them. The only thing 2000 has been a bad time for is Jump anime and GUNDAM. BAD BAD BAD FOR GUNDAM.

I'm having a tough time finding a uniting factor between Cawoboy Bebop and Gankutsuou other than "general aggressive artistry", but in that category, (off the top of my head) some of my favorites are: Ayakashi, Ghost Hound (for its great use of audio), Bakemonogatari, Zetsubou Sensei, anything by Studio 4°C and Trapeze.

Note that most of these are original pieces, not shows based off of manga. I agree that there are a lot of fantastic classics out there (I love Galaxy Express and Hokuto no Ken to death), but I wouldn't watch the anime...I'd read the manga. In the same respect, I would violently oppose anyone recommending any modern Jump anime.

Ah! On the subject of "old meets new", I thought the new Mazinger anime turned out pretty good...and on the subject of "things from the 90's", I think Giant Robo is something no one (but the most extreme sourpuss) should miss.

quote:
Le Chevalier D'Eon: The idea of making a supernatural action series starring d'Eon de Beaumont is so bonkers that I have to see this series through to the bitter end.

I kept trying to like this series. I got so excited when it came out. It looks so good! But in the end, it just...doesn't do anything with all of its potential. I happily watched every episode, but ended the run left with absolutely nothing. For some reason, I really loved Louis, though.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Maou
1919th Post

"Re(5):Escaflowne" , posted Tue 16 Feb 08:37:post reply

quote:
Give up the nostalgia! I bet you still wear Hammer pants, don't you?
Heheh. Maybe more like Squall Leonhart, but that's still 1999. But, but, Togusa is a fine dresser! The truth is that more than Hammer pants, Edge's pants in Justice Gakuen are best. If I could manage to steal an extra pair from a construction worker (so many color choices, though purple is supreme), life would be sweet.

I actually did originally plan to talk about the good things about the 2000's, which sure as hell didn't include the shiny CG eroge-inspired color schemes, bland faces, and moe rubbish, but still. Studio 4C is the best thing to happen to animation in years and Tai-pan should almost certainly watch Mind Game and Genius Party. Probably add to that 5 cm/s, which I remember nobinobita(boy) assuring us was finally an example of Shinkai Makoto channeling his skills into directing a decent movie. Ghibli, of course, has a number of lesser-known but stellar classic offerings that may not have been released overseas much/ever but that might cure Tai-pan's malaise (Only Yesterday and Whisper of the Heart come to mind).

quote:
I think Giant Robo is something no one (but the most extreme sourpuss) should miss.
The Lunar evangelist in me loves you for reminding us of Kubooka's finest artistic hour outside of video games.

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 16 Feb 08:50]

HAYATO
960th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"No Mononoke love?" , posted Tue 16 Feb 12:43post reply

For those Gankutsuoh lovers out there; you should try Mononoke. It's a follow-up series to the events depicted in the third story of Ayakashi, sharing plot themes and visuals with the latter.

If you like yôkai-related folk legends and challenging innovative visuals, this may be your animu of choice...

Tai-Pan
420th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):Escaflowne" , posted Wed 17 Feb 00:34post reply

quote:

I'm having a tough time finding a uniting factor between Cawoboy Bebop and Gankutsuou other than "general aggressive artistry"..

Well well, I really liked those two not only because of their artistry but also because they offered a mature and interesting story. It's hard to explain...It's not really about nostalgia. I've seen anime with exceptional artistic direction but with completely boring character development (if there is any).
I try really really hard to like immensely popular animes like naruto or fullmetal alchemist but I just don't see the appeal. I know I know, I'm too old for that. That's why I liked Bebop, etc.
Thanks for the suggestions I will definitely hunt them down.

Nekros
224th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(6):Escaflowne" , posted Wed 17 Feb 02:35post reply

quote:

I'm having a tough time finding a uniting factor between Cawoboy Bebop and Gankutsuou other than "general aggressive artistry"..

Well well, I really liked those two not only because of their artistry but also because they offered a mature and interesting story. It's hard to explain...It's not really about nostalgia. I've seen anime with exceptional artistic direction but with completely boring character development (if there is any).
I try really really hard to like immensely popular animes like naruto or fullmetal alchemist but I just don't see the appeal. I know I know, I'm too old for that. That's why I liked Bebop, etc.
Thanks for the suggestions I will definitely hunt them down.

Mmhh, I feel the same way towards anime in general.
I'm more on the horror-scifi-mystic genre, I can still appreciate series like Full Metal Alchemist or Mushishi, but nothing compared to 90s anime.
Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Trigun, Ao No 6 Go, Mononoke Hime, the first GITS movie, Jin-Roh, Gasaraki, Serial Experiments Lain....
Very good memories, very good nights watching them.

Nowadays I find anime both boring and unattractive, due to major moe designs combined with poor settings.
But I hope the cafers almost seen ONE of these series:
Samurai Champloo
.hack//SIGN
Harui Suzumya
Genshiken
Welcome to the NHK
Otogi Zoushi
Dennou Coil

Btw, do you read manga?

Tai-Pan
421th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(7):Escaflowne" , posted Wed 17 Feb 02:59post reply

quote:

But I hope the cafers almost seen ONE of these series:
Samurai Champloo
.hack//SIGN
Harui Suzumya
Genshiken
Welcome to the NHK
Otogi Zoushi
Dennou Coil

Btw, do you read manga?

Thanks I will definetely check out some of those.
Yes I do

nobinobita
689th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):Anime" , posted Sat 20 Feb 13:37:post reply

quote:
The Olympic's figure skating competition touched me on my soft side, so I started thinking about Anime.
Please help as since I arrived to America I lost my soft intelligent side. And I don’t give two cents about regular shows (such as Lost, etc).
(I started watching Gankutsuo at the same time my wife started learning about French wine…best nights ever..).

Hey, sorry I'm late to the party.

There's alot of talk about Anime getting stagnant, but that's simply not true. Just like every other industry and form of media, there's always great stuff out there if you look for it.

Here are some of the animations I've tremendously enjoyed from the last decade:

1) MINDGAME: This is a really really amazing virtuoso film. It was produced by Studio 4 C (a studio you can never go wrong with) and directed by Masaaki Yuasa, an amazing animator and director who's been involved in just about everything I'm about to recommend to you. It was made on a shoestring budget by some of the finest animators in the world who only worked on the film because they wanted to. It only played in one theater in Japan and then went on to win tons of audience awards at various film festivals. It's an art film through and through, but it's not pretentious or self important. It's very fun and endearing. Everyone I've shown this film to has enjoyed it, regardless of their feelings towards Japanese cartoons.

MINDGAME is probably my favorite movie. It genuinely blew my mind when i saw it. It was so raw and personal and fresh. I was on the verge of tears the entire movie, not cos it's sappy or sad or manipulative, but because it's so MOVING. Haha hope I'm not overhyping it for you.

Unfortunately it's not available in the US. But you can import the Japanese DVD which has english subtitles and tons of awesome extras.

2) Kemonozume - I try to foist this show on as many people as I can. It's a TV show made by the director and crew of MINDGAME. Again, it's got a very avante guard look to it, but the story is accessible and the characters are extremely well defined and likeable. The basic plot is that there are monsters called Flesh Eaters hidden in society, and there is an ancient group of martial artists who train to kill them. It may sound like your typical fantasy fare (Devil Hunter Yoko, Buffy the Vampire Slayer etc) but it's SO MUCH MORE THAN THAT. The overall feel of the show has more in common with modern Japanese film and literature than teenage pop culture. It is very mature. You feel you are actually watching adults making decisions. The script is unusually good for a TV show (animated or not) and the story really takes you places.

Perhaps the best thing about this show (as well as MINDGAME) is that it really successfully conveys the feeling of being deeply in love. That's the best thing I can say about it.

3) Kaiba: Also by Studio 4c (and Madhouse) and also directed by Masaaki Yuasa. Everything nice I said about the above recommendations applies here. Maybe even more so. Watch the opening. If that makes you feel any smidge of emotion, then do yourself a favor and just watch this series without reading any synopsis or anything. Go into it cold and enjoy the surprises that await.

4) Gurren Lagaan: This is the most fun traditional-ish anime series of the last decade. A must watch if you like hot blooded, masculine robot action. It's especially good if you grew up on Mashin Hero Wataru (the anime that Keith Courage was based off of).

Other stuff I enjoyed

5cm - Makoto Shinkai's best, most mature work. Also very much about love, but in a nostalgic middle school kind of way. I watched this one with my mom and she loved it. She said it reminded her of the classic kind of romances she grew up with. This movie also has the best layouts I've ever seen, live action or animated. I've never seen anything where so much of the story is conveyed simply in the backgrounds and shot compositions (subtly too). I watched it with a photographer friend of mine, and she said that it did some amazing things with the shots that were film like, but actually nearly impossible to shoot in real life. Her explanation went over my head, but it sounded cool and impressive.

Tekkon Kinkreet - a very very visually beautiful film, based on the amazing AMAZING comic by Taiyo Matsumoto. This adaptation is very much Michael Arias's take on the story and it's a bit too wimpy and sensitive in places for my tastes, but for the most part it's beautiful and really conveys a sense of euphoria. The climax is absolutely astounding.

Sword of the Stranger - A violent Samurai anime that will satisfy anyone's bloodlust. We're talking old school Kawajiri violence (without the sex, so it won't offend anyone). Some of the best action pieces you'll ever see. Very fun. Also has some ... interesting plot twists that had lead to some very stimulating conversations on the concept of race vs culture ... but I'll leave it to you to see for yourself.

This one's the most Cowboy Bebop-ish out of everything that I mentioned as it's by Bones. So imagine top notch Cowboy Bebop action for 90 minutes straight and you'll have a good idea of what this movie's like.

If anyone gets around to watching any of these please start a new thread. I'd love to discuss!

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Sat 20 Feb 13:39]

Pollyanna
2864th Post

"Re(2):Anime" , posted Sat 20 Feb 14:51:post reply

quote:
shiny CG eroge-inspired color schemes, bland faces, and moe rubbish

The curse of modern otaku culture is a nasty one indeed. I would go on and on about how much I hate these sort of things, but your talk about pants has left me strangely speechless.

Also, as a K-on fan, I feel like I don't have a right to talk anymore. My defense on that issue is that the show reminds me of my own friends and our snack-filled band practices. Unfortunately, none of them were rich enough to finance two swimsuit episodes for us.

quote:
There's alot of talk about Anime getting stagnant, but that's simply not true. Just like every other industry and form of media, there's always great stuff out there if you look for it.

Hurray for positivity! You never let me down!

quote:
3) Kaiba: Also by Studio 4c (and Madhouse) and also directed by Masaaki Yuasa. Everything nice I said about the above recommendations applies here. Maybe even more so. Watch the opening. If that makes you feel any smidge of emotion, then do yourself a favor and just watch this series without reading any synopsis or anything. Go into it cold and enjoy the surprises that await.

Although the ending to Kaiba let me down a little bit, it still has the amazing distinction of being the first show to make me cry before it even started. That's one hell of an opening.

On the other hand...

quote:
5cm - Makoto Shinkai's best, most mature work. Also very much about love, but in a nostalgic middle school kind of way. I watched this one with my mom and she loved it. She said it reminded her of the classic kind of romances she grew up with. This movie also has the best layouts I've ever seen, live action or animated. I've never seen anything where so much of the story is conveyed simply in the backgrounds and shot compositions (subtly too). I watched it with a photographer friend of mine, and she said that it did some amazing things with the shots that were film like, but actually nearly impossible to shoot in real life. Her explanation went over my head, but it sounded cool and impressive.

I agree with everything you said, but I was disappointed at what little emotional impact the movie had on me. I was touched by some of the images, but not so much in reference to the story itself. I was told "get ready to cry" before seeing the film, and it just didn't hit me. This is coming from someone who cries at sentai shows (and the afore mentioned Kaiba opening).

quote:
Sword of the Stranger - A violent Samurai anime that will satisfy anyone's bloodlust. We're talking old school Kawajiri violence (without the sex, so it won't offend anyone). Some of the best action pieces you'll ever see. Very fun. Also has some ... interesting plot twists that had lead to some very stimulating conversations on the concept of race vs culture ... but I'll leave it to you to see for yourself.

This is the only thing you mentioned that I haven't seen. I'll track it down post haste. I think it was released on Blu-ray in America, so that only sweetens the deal.

I assume you've heard of Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei? I don't think I've ever anticipated something so much.

Have you seen Bakemonogatari? Trapeze (空中ブランコ)? They're both excellent and aggressively unique. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone, but I would definitely recommend both to you.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

[this message was edited by Pollyanna on Sat 20 Feb 15:16]

Iggy
9068th Post

"Re(3):Anime" , posted Sat 20 Feb 19:51post reply

quote:
Have you seen Bakemonogatari?

I think the first 5 episodes were great, but mostly because the first character (and heroine) is so fantastic that any line she says becomes instant quote material. I already used "安心して。私は脳味噌の有無で人間を差別したりしない" and "唾を飛ばさないで。童貞は移るわ"on my workplace, with devastating results.
Unfortunately, she appears less and less as the show goes on, and that's a pity.
Fortunately, the BR all have a voice commentary of the episodes BY THE CHARACTER ITSELF.

That reminds me I need to watch the final episode of the 3rd season of Zetsubou Sensei I received yesterday. Let's have a Shaft week-end!

Olivier Hague
139th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Anime" , posted Sun 21 Feb 03:23post reply

quote:
Unfortunately, she appears less and less as the show goes on, and that's a pity.

You should watch episode 12.

I'd also recommend Tôkyô Magnitude 8.0 and Aoi Hana, while I'm at it.

Maese
567th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(5):Anime" , posted Mon 22 Feb 19:57post reply

While I'm not so enthusiastic as some of you about post-90s anime, your recommendations are more than welcome. Maybe some of the things mentioned in this thread will help me to change my views.

Pretty much the only *new* thing I could recommend is Makoto Shinkai's stuff, and it's already been mentioned. This guy's works may be a little hard to digest for some people, and he's still very far to be considered the "new Miyazaki" as many visionaries hailed him a few years ago... but his stuff is sure worth watching anyway.

Aaaand, not in my wildest dreams I would have expected Polly to be a K-on! fan. Then again, I'm not the one to criticize; last year I ended up watching the whole show as well. From ep. 3 onwards I did not really enjoy it that much, but for some reason I kept watching it anyway. My excuse: the setting was supposed to be Kyoto and I just loved to catch up familiar sights and places of the city on the backgrounds every now and then (*blush*).

shindekudasai
343th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(6):Anime" , posted Wed 24 Feb 06:57post reply

/delurk
Gotta 2nd Sword of The Stranger and Gurren Lagann. The 2nd GL movie just came out as well, and the flicks make the series a bit more accessible for casual fans - 3 hours instead of 14 (I hooked my sister with them, and now she's watching the original series as well).
/lurk

HAYATO
963th Post

"Re(6):Animu ZOMG!!!" , posted Wed 24 Feb 10:31post reply

quote:

Aaaand, not in my wildest dreams I would have expected Polly to be a K-on! fan. Then again, I'm not the one to criticize; last year I ended up watching the whole show as well. From ep. 3 onwards I did not really enjoy it that much, but for some reason I kept watching it anyway. My excuse: the setting was supposed to be Kyoto and I just loved to catch up familiar sights and places of the city on the backgrounds every now and then (*blush*).

Sad, so sad...

Spoon
1898th Post

"Re(7):Animu ZOMG!!!" , posted Wed 24 Feb 11:30post reply

I enjoy Tentai Senshi Sunred probably more than I should. It generally has minimal animation and looks every bit like it was done in Flash, though from time to time (and in the OP) features nice animation. It's a show about sentai heroes/villains that are neither very good heroes nor very good villains, yet the characters are somehow more believable people than the "ordinary human" characters of most other shows.

I have a feeling that most of us end up recommending the same things over and over in these threads, though. I know this is probably the place where you can count on Gankutsuou, Kemonozume, MINDGAME, and a few others getting mentioned every single time this topic comes up. Not that they aren't good, but I'm worried about us sounding like a bunch of broken records.

The first time I saw Kemonozume, I was worried that I had downloaded an episode that was stolen from the studio during pre-production.

Michiko to Hatchin is worth watching the first episode of.

I've been watching various forms of Cobra (the old series, the recent OAV, the new series), but I have no idea if it's actually any good or if I'm just a sucker for Cobra.

Maese
571th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(7):Animu ZOMG!!!" , posted Thu 25 Feb 05:24post reply

quote:

Sad, so sad...

The proverbial pot calling the kettle black.

nobinobita
689th Post

"Re(3):Anime" , posted Thu 25 Feb 06:03post reply

quote:

Hurray for positivity! You never let me down!

Well shucks. Thanks!

quote:
I agree with everything you said, but I was disappointed at what little emotional impact the movie had on me. I was touched by some of the images, but not so much in reference to the story itself. I was told "get ready to cry" before seeing the film, and it just didn't hit me. This is coming from someone who cries at sentai shows (and the afore mentioned Kaiba opening).

Hmmm, telling someone how they should feel (vs how you personally felt) isn't always the best way to set up expectations. It's interesting the things that can make someone cry. I have to admit, i did shed a few wimpy tears at 5cm. I got swept up in the visuals and the sappy song at the end describing how when you are away from someone you are in love with you secretly hope to run into them wherever you go.

I can see why you'd be more affected by a Sentai show though. There's a big difference between crying over a middle school relationship vs being moved to tears by the bravery of heroic men and women(manly tears!).

quote:

I assume you've heard of Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei? I don't think I've ever anticipated something so much.

Have you seen Bakemonogatari? Trapeze (空中ブランコ)? They're both excellent and aggressively unique. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone, but I would definitely recommend both to you.

All these shows look great. An old friend of mine has been telling me to watch Bakemonogatari, and I've had my eye on Trapeze cos it looks very much in the vein of Yuasa's recent work (I just hope it has its own distinct flavor). I hadn't heard of Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei though. A quick google search tells me that holy crap, it's the next Yuasa show! Cool! Really looking forward to this one.

These days I mainly rely on a few news agregate sites, blogs and the cafe to stay up to date with things. So thanks very much for the recommendations!

nobinobita
690th Post

"Re(8):Animu ZOMG!!!" , posted Thu 25 Feb 06:11post reply

quote:
I enjoy Tentai Senshi Sunred probably more than I should. It generally has minimal animation and looks every bit like it was done in Flash, though from time to time (and in the OP) features nice animation. It's a show about sentai heroes/villains that are neither very good heroes nor very good villains, yet the characters are somehow more believable people than the "ordinary human" characters of most other shows.

Looks neat. I'll have to look that up.

quote:

I have a feeling that most of us end up recommending the same things over and over in these threads, though. I know this is probably the place where you can count on Gankutsuou, Kemonozume, MINDGAME, and a few others getting mentioned every single time this topic comes up. Not that they aren't good, but I'm worried about us sounding like a bunch of broken records.

I think those films tend to come up repeatedly cos they're very very good and they're still relatively unknown. Of course there's lots of other good stuff out there too.

quote:
Michiko to Hatchin is worth watching the first episode of.

Oh yeah. This series is highly recommended if you enjoyed Cowboy Bebop (lookin at you Tai-Pan). Imagine something as hip and beautiful as Bebop, cept with a Latin flair. This is probably one of the best looking TV shows ever made.

quote:
I've been watching various forms of Cobra (the old series, the recent OAV, the new series), but I have no idea if it's actually any good or if I'm just a sucker for Cobra.

Not a sucker. Cobra is cool.

quote:

Does anyone else think that the Gears of War cast look like a buncha Tom of Finland characters?

HAYATO
964th Post

"Re(9):Animu ZOMG!!!" , posted Thu 25 Feb 07:22post reply

quote:

Alas! If only there were any Tom of Finland animu... It would be an original and interesting thing to watch, that's for sure!!

PS: JoJo is not gay, it's a manly manga with slightly dubious visuals, that's all. Hell, even in case it really was, I'd always prefer it to Kurumada or the latest moe-blob animu...

mbisonhatclub
136th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(10):Animu ZOMG!!!" , posted Thu 25 Feb 07:58post reply

The most manliest anime around is Princess Tutu

join the m.bison hat club today
i'm not just the president i'm also a client

Digitalboy
679th Post

"Hey IronD!!!" , posted Sat 27 Feb 21:59post reply

Almost a thread highjack...but just to be safe keep your hand where I can see them it is ANIMATION related.

IronD

Have you watched Planet Hulk and Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths?

I have never read the source material and I am kind of glad I have not yet. Otherwise I will be comparing the animated full length movie to the original. I knew of the story arcs/graphic novel but was too lazy to buy that shit, son.

I recommend these to those who wants to watch Marvel/DC characters in action.

IronD, what is your opinion, son?

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

Iron D
3381th Post

"Re(1):Hey IronD!!!" , posted Sun 28 Feb 03:38post reply

quote:
Almost a thread highjack...but just to be safe keep your hand where I can see them it is ANIMATION related.

IronD

Have you watched Planet Hulk and Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths?

I have never read the source material and I am kind of glad I have not yet. Otherwise I will be comparing the animated full length movie to the original. I knew of the story arcs/graphic novel but was too lazy to buy that shit, son.

I recommend these to those who wants to watch Marvel/DC characters in action.

IronD, what is your opinion, son?

I have not seen either, and admittedly am only mildly interested in both. Crisis on Two Earths is apparently inspired by, but NOT an animated version JLA: Earth 2, so I can't say that there is any source material to be familiar with. And I am familiar with Planet Hulk's source material, but have not seen the movie. So unfortunately I can't give opinions on either.

Still need to see Green Lantern: First Flight and Brave New World. I'm so behind!

Er.....

Toxico
4872th Post

"...... More...." , posted Sun 28 Feb 19:30post reply

I was forced to check out my back up memory (aka friends). And I have remembered the following titles :

Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo -> Not quite up to the style of the request, netherless is still quite a well achieved movie. THE WORLDO!

Icchi the Killer -> Coincidentally, this is an Ova and Live action, and I have been advised to only bother with the live action... And, a lot of people have looked me like that. Enough said.

Akagi -> I'm not sure about this series, but seems to be about Shogi... But fun. It have been described to me as a supposed to be spiritual opposite of San gatsu no Lion, but that doesn't mean that it's bad.

One Outs -> A baseball based series, that posses such a sense of tension and action that it can be enticing to people that even hate baseball.

Detroit Metal City -> Natural born quiet japanese man displays his utmost hidden inner desires due to a.... "strange field of occupation".

Kaiji -> "When the going gets tough, the tough gets going", was the saying? Screw them. See how much can life kick a man that his down, and how people will crawl in desperation in search of a thing called hope, only to catch a glimpse of reality.

These last 2 are a must see to any sun based, oxygen needing creature.

obscene voodoo dance teleport

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Update 21 as of 29/01/10 (Temporary mega upload link).

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 15 as of 21/01/10

Sensenic
1693th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):...... More...." , posted Mon 1 Mar 00:32:post reply

quote:
Dennou Coil

quote:
I'd also recommend Tôkyô Magnitude 8.0

Nekros and Hague know their animu very well and I cannot second them enough.

quote:

Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo -> Not quite up to the style of the request, netherless is still quite a well achieved movie. THE WORLDO!

This too.

Also, second hand info, but I've been strongly recommended Michiko to Hatchin (very in the vein of CBebop) and Kaiji as well.

Finally, on my own I would like to add 2 more, I don't know how much they relate to your expectations, Tai-pan, but shit be quality material here:

- One is Aoi Bungaku, animu adaptations of 6 Japanese literature classics, which is a quite a novelty for original sources, instead of the usual manga/light novel/eroge ones. Pretentious smartass stuff, now with 100% more bishie, as character designs are provided by specialists on the subject Kubo Tite, Takeshi Obata and Takeshi Konomi.
Snarkiness aside, it is really worth watching to see their interpretation of each story (and extract your own from there), the rather high production values and the remarkable change in style each story brings about (most prominent being the one between the 2 first stories "Ningen shikkaku" and "sakura no mori no mankai no shita"), so it hardly gets stale.

- The other is, Time of Eve (Eve no jikan), by Yasuhiro Yoshiura who previously made on his own the shorts Pale Coccoon and Mizu no kotoba, both very recommended as well (in fact "Eve" can be partially seen as an expansion on the latter). It is basically another story centered on humans living with robots programmed with Asimov's three laws, but told from an intimistic and personal PoV (for both humans, robots and their relations) instead of the trite "machines rebels against us" theme. Very touching, specially (for me) chapters 3 and 4.
EDIT: Also, it is getting movie format and theatrical release this spring, with new stuff added whatsoever.
*Anxiously waiting for a 2nd season*

PS: And yes, this post served as an excuse to show the new avatar and tag. Sue me. :p

*lurks off again*

Play MS Paint Adventures. ò_ó
Also play:

"Don't give me that crap about real life. There ain't no such animal."
-Felix Leiter-

[this message was edited by Sensenic on Mon 1 Mar 00:36]

GekigangerV
1643th Post

"Re(1):Anime" , posted Fri 5 Mar 20:08post reply

Well, I'm not sure about anime, but I can recommend you some manga (and some j-drama based on manga). If you're studying wine, then I do recommend you read a manga called Kami no Shizuku. They also made a drama about it. I heard a lot of wine experts (in Australian from what I've read) who read the manga say it represents the art of wine very accurately. I heard they are also going to make a Korean version to it now. And there's also another wine manga called Sommlier and it was also made into a j-drama. Of course the manga and j-dramas are exclusively in Japanese from what I know.

Some of my other favorite mangas I recommend are Hajime no Ippo, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Fist of the North star, The original Kinnikuman, Sakura Ganbaru, and some others.

Hajime no Ippo is may be limited to just boxing, but the action is very intense, technical, and feels realistic. The characters are all interesting and have relatable qualities which makes it very touching and immersing. Sadly, the anime has done very little to catch up with the manga. They recently made a new installment last year, but they changed the director and music and didn't feel the same as the first season. Plus, the series cut out one of my favorite story arcs where it talks about the main character's origins.

I'd go on, but don't have the time. But if you got a PS3 and a 1080p TV, I strongly recommend you check out the Akira BluRay. It's pretty sweet. I hope they make one for Macross Do You Remember Love as well.

Tai-Pan
433th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Anime" , posted Sat 6 Mar 00:01post reply

quote:
If you're studying wine, then I do recommend you read a manga called Kami no Shizuku. They also made a drama about it.

I just found it online (I couldn't help it)..and WOW..It seems I won't be working today..Thanks!!

GekigangerV
1645th Post

"Re(3):Anime" , posted Tue 16 Mar 06:16post reply

quote:
If you're studying wine, then I do recommend you read a manga called Kami no Shizuku. They also made a drama about it.

I just found it online (I couldn't help it)..and WOW..It seems I won't be working today..Thanks!!

I'm glad you are enjoying it. Unfortunately, I don't know where to get the Sommlier manga, though you can find the j-drama online. It's very interesting how the wines featured in the manga became popular in Japan, Taiwan, and Korea thanks to this manga. Glad you're enjoying it. If you're into J-Drama, I also recommend the live action version.

Maou
1956th Post

"Re(4):Anime" , posted Tue 16 Mar 12:49:post reply

quote:
It's very interesting how the wines featured in the manga became popular in Japan, Taiwan, and Korea thanks to this manga.
Heheh, remember how Americans started drinking Californian wine after...what was it, "Sideways?"

Speaking of taking up things, the titles listed here sound interesting enough that I may redact my evaluation that nothing good besides Ghibli and Studio 3C works came out of the 2000's. Time to investigate...

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 16 Mar 13:14]

nobinobita
705th Post

"Re(5):Anime" , posted Wed 24 Mar 10:14post reply

quote:
It's very interesting how the wines featured in the manga became popular in Japan, Taiwan, and Korea thanks to this manga. Heheh, remember how Americans started drinking Californian wine after...what was it, "Sideways?"

Speaking of taking up things, the titles listed here sound interesting enough that I may redact my evaluation that nothing good besides Ghibli and Studio 3C works came out of the 2000's. Time to investigate...

I just watched one of the most amazing music videos I've ever seen. I'm still in a state of shock from it:

http://www.catsuka.com/news_detail.php?id=1258563270

I figured I'd share it here. It's a French animated music video directed by Jeremie Perin for an artist called Flairs (those names are glowing on my radar now). It's done in a really great 16 bit style, somewhere between Megadrive and GBA and it's just incredible. It's the best pixel animated short I've seen. It's also extremely crass and vulgar and misogynistic so I apologize if it offends your sensibilities.

It's not anime, but I feel like it will still be extremely relevant to alot of people's interests on here.

Enjoy!

Olivier Hague
149th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):Anime" , posted Sat 27 Mar 18:37post reply

Not quite the same tone, but I thought this was pretty nice work.

HAYATO
967th Post

"TAF 2010" , posted Mon 29 Mar 20:39post reply

Speaking about recent animu, what do you guys expect from this year's Tokyo Anime Fair? The only mildly interesting productions I've seen announced so far are Mad House's "Redline" (a racing animu which reminds me heavily of Biker Mice from Mars for some reason) and the upcoming sci-fi/ cyberpunk movie "Mardock Scramble", pretty much in the line of Oshii's GITS but feauring a prostitute instead of a female soldier and replacing random Basset-Hound insertions for some talking yellow mice... Hagamos el amor de los humanos

Your opinions?