Latest SSF4 thread - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (10184 Views )

Ishmael
3683th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Latest SSF4 thread" , posted Sat 13 Feb 02:58post reply

Since the latest rumblings is that more characters will be announced on Thursday I figured it was time to get a new thread going. For now here's a new CGI trailer featuring Chun-Li and Cammy vs Juri.

Replies:

Maou
1914th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):Latest SSF4 thread" , posted Sat 13 Feb 03:17:post reply

quote:
Since the latest rumblings is that more characters will be announced on Thursday I figured it was time to get a new thread going. For now here's a new CGI trailer featuring Chun-Li and Cammy vs Juri.

Praise be to Ishmael for his part in breaking down the ancient conversation-drowning evil that is the Random Thread!

It'd be neat if this kind of art were actually in the game. Maybe in 20XX. Best part: seeing a YIN-YANG in Juri's eye in that one scene. Is it self-referential Orientalism? Kitsch? Who knows!

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Sat 13 Feb 03:17]

Gojira
2577th Post

"Re(2):Latest SSF4 thread" , posted Sat 13 Feb 04:42post reply

The trailer thing was a decent distraction, though that last part where Juri is just doing random kicks into the air doesn't seem to have anything to do with what's been happening up to that point.

Jeff Gurstman of IGN recently tweeted this pic of a gift from Capcom:

http://twitpic.com/12tcfc

shipoopi

hikarutilmitt
533th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Latest SSF4 thread" , posted Sat 13 Feb 05:34post reply

quote:
Best part: seeing a YIN-YANG in Juri's eye in that one scene. Is it self-referential Orientalism? Kitsch? Who knows!

Pretty sure it's because she's got a connection to Seth. Her eye is supposed to be that Tanden Engine that Seth has.

Maou
1915th Post

"Re(3):Latest SSF4 thread" , posted Sat 13 Feb 07:04:post reply

quote:
Best part: seeing a YIN-YANG in Juri's eye in that one scene. Is it self-referential Orientalism? Kitsch? Who knows!

Pretty sure it's because she's got a connection to Seth. Her eye is supposed to be that Tanden Engine that Seth has.

Hahahahah, I forgot all about "Seth"...and how terrible his own design is as a last boss. He's no Vega, that's for sure, and that's especially a shame since Vegamoto should be shining more with his glorious modern voice actor. Everyone knows that besides voice actor, Wakamoto's real-life position is Last Boss.

[this message was edited by Maou on Sat 13 Feb 07:05]

Ishmael
3684th Post

"Re(4):Latest SSF4 thread" , posted Sun 14 Feb 06:12post reply

It's funny, but for some reason I think this isn't the first time that Juri's Feng Shui Engine eye has been shown as a Ying-Yang but I can't find any evidence to support that claim. Did I just imagine that bit of detail or was my image search even more half-assed than I thought? This is an amazingly minor point but it's the sort of thing I will spend far too much energy on.

quote:

Hahahahah, I forgot all about "Seth"...and how terrible his own design is as a last boss. He's no Vega, that's for sure, and that's especially a shame since Vegamoto should be shining more with his glorious modern voice actor. Everyone knows that besides voice actor, Wakamoto's real-life position is Last Boss.

Now that I think about it both Gill and Seth are going for the same sort of design idea. Both characters seem to be built to show off their power primarily through the strength of the unadorned human form. Unlike so many other bosses they don't have glowing tattoos, marmot collared capes or other bric-a-brac to fall back on. Perhaps it's because Capcom is trying to weld this idea onto the supernatural parts of their design or something else, but neither Gill or Seth have successfully managed to convey what I think they are supposed to. Still, I give the design team credit for trying.

Burning Ranger
1639th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Old New, New News?" , posted Mon 15 Feb 01:25post reply

http://kotaku.com/5471288/is-street-fighter-3s-dudley-coming-to-super-street-fighter-iv

Someone at Kotaku got a blue boxing glove holding a rose in the mail today. Is confirmation?

So much to do so little time...

Tai-Pan
415th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Old New, New News?" , posted Mon 15 Feb 09:47post reply

quote:
http://kotaku.com/5471288/is-street-fighter-3s-dudley-coming-to-super-street-fighter-iv

Someone at Kotaku got a blue boxing glove holding a rose in the mail today. Is confirmation?

I was going to post this a couple of days ago...however, I started thinking: Why is everybody so eager to see SFII characters on this game? It's still SFIV and most people here seems to hate it's mechanics. Makes no sense

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Megane
462th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Old New, New News?" , posted Mon 15 Feb 10:07post reply

quote:

I was going to post this a couple of days ago...however, I started thinking: Why is everybody so eager to see SFII characters on this game? It's still SFIV and most people here seems to hate it's mechanics. Makes no sense

I'm guessing it's because they love the SFIII characters enough to want to see them in something new (I know I do). Plus maybe their inclusion will spice up the matchups in SSFIV.

Tai-Pan
417th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Old New, New News?" , posted Mon 15 Feb 13:00post reply

quote:

I'm guessing it's because they love the SFIII characters enough to want to see them in something new (I know I do). Plus maybe their inclusion will spice up the matchups in SSFIV.

I know I know...but are u aware that after a couple of weeks nobody will give two shits about the game? I'm just trying to bring those expectations down and avoid another TvsC embarrassment. Poor Iggy spent months promoting the game and nobody seemed to like it...
Remember..it's still SFIV sporting boring and easy to use versions of SFIII characters.
(I like the game don't get me wrong).

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Iron D
3375th Post

"Re(4):Old New, New News?" , posted Mon 15 Feb 19:46post reply

quote:

I know I know...but are u aware that after a couple of weeks nobody will give two shits about the game? I'm just trying to bring those expectations down and avoid another TvsC embarrassment. Poor Iggy spent months promoting the game and nobody seemed to like it...
Remember..it's still SFIV sporting boring and easy to use versions of SFIII characters.
(I like the game don't get me wrong).

I never got the impression that no one cared about TvC. The game seems pretty well liked from my observations. And on SFIV, I was always under the impression that it wasn't that MOST people here hated it; it was that those that didn't like it were more vocal and posted more often about why they didn't like it. For some reason, people having negative things to say about a game brings out more energy than those who praise the game.

Either that, or maybe SFIV's supporters posted less because there were so many other places they could go to talk to others who liked the game. Just guessin'.

Er.....

Digitalboy
674th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(5):Old New, New News?" , posted Mon 15 Feb 21:19post reply

Shit, son.

I love TvC, son. I shower in that shit, son. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner, I eat that shit for all the meals. That is until I got Muramasa: The Demon Blade. But that is different story.

SF4...My top complaints are the limited supers/ultras; projectile spamming and a weak roster. The game mechanics/collision boxes are good. Graphics, I wish it was 2D.
quote:
I never got the impression that no one cared about TvC. The game seems pretty well liked from my observations. And on SFIV, I was always under the impression that it wasn't that MOST people here hated it; it was that those that didn't like it were more vocal and posted more often about why they didn't like it. For some reason, people having negative things to say about a game brings out more energy than those who praise the game.

Either that, or maybe SFIV's supporters posted less because there were so many other places they could go to talk to others who liked the game. Just guessin'.

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

Iggy
9061th Post

"Re(6):Old New, New News?" , posted Tue 16 Feb 00:06post reply

I spent the whole week-end playing along with the 5 new characters of TvC UAS. I am amazed how they are all so different, fresh and clever, oozing with personality and new gameplay possibilities.

It's a character game even the boss of CC2 would enjoy. The people who did this are fantastic. I love each and every one of them.

I do not doubt SSF4 will end up being a superior fighting game, but so far its only creative outburst was limited to 6 weird new characters. I'm not impressed.

Toxico
4858th Post

"Re(7):Old New, New News?" , posted Tue 16 Feb 08:34post reply

Famitsu speaks SSF IV, while Wakamoto screams "What's going on". Nothing that we haven't seen previously.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Update 21 as of 29/01/10 (Temporary mega upload link).

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 15 as of 21/01/10

Megane
463th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(8):Old New, New News?" , posted Wed 17 Feb 09:49post reply

Third Strike characters confirmed, apparently?

Adon
1563th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(9):Old New, New News?" , posted Wed 17 Feb 10:12post reply

http://www.gamerslounge.dk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1364:ssf4&catid=15:multi-platform&Itemid=90

They look nice the 3 of them

Toxico
4859th Post

"Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Wed 17 Feb 10:28post reply

quote:
http://www.gamerslounge.dk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1364:ssf4&catid=15:multi-platform&Itemid=90

Dudley, Ibuki and Guy are bound to be interesting now that they have surely lost all of their basic chain combo moves (just like Gen).

If I do understand correctly, are we now just lacking the supposedly new character?

obscene voodoo dance teleport

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Pollyanna
2855th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Wed 17 Feb 10:39post reply

Hard to tell from just one screenshot, but my initial impression is that Makoto doesn't look right...Ibuki looks "acceptable" and Dudley looks "totally fucking awesome."

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Maou
1919th Post

"Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Wed 17 Feb 11:06post reply

quote:

OH YEAHHHH
This is so awesome that it even summoned Adon from the Cafe netherworld, awesome!

I look forward to reopening the inquiry as to whether Makoto wears a red bra or a leotard.

And Dudley. Ye gods, my interest jumped 100 fold.

Spoon
1897th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Wed 17 Feb 11:14:post reply

Scans

Noteworthy points:
Corkscrew Blow is now an Ultra (?!?!?!?!??!!)
Rolling Thunder is an Ultra (makes sense)
Rocket Uppercut is the Super
Thunder Bolt (the dive move from pre-3S SF3) is back; truly, Ono knows what matters most
No mention of Punch and Cross (aka the move that nobody knows about) or Crosscounter (might well be his focus attack)

Makoto's super is the SA people only pick for fun, the other two SAs are her Ultras... if cancelling into it doesn't put her at frame disadvantage and therefore it is comboable off of her command grab, it could be... workable, I guess. It's going to have to be really good or her EXs are going to have to be really bad for it to be worthwhile, though.

[this message was edited by Spoon on Wed 17 Feb 11:15]

Grave
1301th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"OH LAWD" , posted Wed 17 Feb 12:37post reply

Makoto does look a bit off, but still. I am okay with all of this! Wonder when they'll finally show Hakan, but Dudley looks amazing so I am pleased.

Megane
464th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Wed 17 Feb 13:07post reply

quote:

Dudley, Ibuki and Guy are bound to be interesting now that they have surely lost all of their basic chain combo moves (just like Gen).

If I do understand correctly, are we now just lacking the supposedly new character?

obscene voodoo dance teleport

I remember hearing that Dudley's supposed to get one new chain along with retaing all his old chains, and Gen regaining some (all?) of his chains. Guy also had his old chain comboable into an EX spin kick in the trailer.

Count Hihihi
216th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Wed 17 Feb 18:14post reply

Finally, Street Fighter THREE Characters in Street Fighter FOUR! How BADASS is that???

Kotaku Ono and the Fanboy spirit.

whitesword
1663th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Wed 17 Feb 19:38post reply

quote:
Scans

Noteworthy points:

No mention of Punch and Cross (aka the move that nobody knows about) or Crosscounter (might well be his focus attack)

The ultra is actually called Corkscrew Cross, so it might be a combination of Corkscrew Blow and one of the two other moves.

Nekros
225th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Wed 17 Feb 21:41post reply

quote:
Finally, Street Fighter THREE Characters in Street Fighter FOUR! How BADASS is that???

A lot.

Ishmael
3687th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Wed 17 Feb 23:21post reply

Not only am I very happy to see these three back, but I'm delighted to see that Makoto is still small enough that all her punches and kicks are going to go straight into her opponent's groin. Makoto is bringing fear back to Street Fighter.

Just a Person
1341th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Thu 18 Feb 00:17post reply

quote:
Scans

Noteworthy points:
Rolling Thunder is an Ultra (makes sense)
Rocket Uppercut is the Super
Thunder Bolt (the dive move from pre-3S SF3) is back; truly, Ono knows what matters most

Makoto's super is the SA people only pick for fun, the other two SAs are her Ultras... if cancelling into it doesn't put her at frame disadvantage and therefore it is comboable off of her command grab, it could be... workable, I guess. It's going to have to be really good or her EXs are going to have to be really bad for it to be worthwhile, though.

Great news!

What about Ibuki, are there any scans showing pictures and information about her movelist?

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

Time Mage
2784th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Thu 18 Feb 00:28post reply

Makoto doesn't look very good ;_;

Small hands and feet (a very charactersitic feature of Makoto's sprite in SFIII was her oversized hands and feet), ugly/chubby/strange face, and not looking fierce enough...

Still, it's Makoto, and I'll probably pick her first when I get the game, but I wish she was done better.

Still: SEIYA! Seichusengodanzuki!

"News flash big guy: You can wax on wax off all you want I'm still... KICKIN' YOUR ASS!"

Ishmael
3688th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Thu 18 Feb 00:33post reply

quote:
Great news!

What about Ibuki, are there any scans showing pictures and information about her movelist?

Scans and screenshots can be found here.

So far it sounds like Ibuki has Kasumi Suzaku for her super and Yoroi Doushi and Hashin-Sho as her Ultras.

whitesword
1664th Post

"Trailer n'stuff" , posted Thu 18 Feb 08:25post reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zY1WGnnlLk

Ibuki's english voice made me uncomfortable, but then I heard Dudley's and started screaming in horror.

(also, Hakan teaser at the end)

kofoguz
817th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(5):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Thu 18 Feb 08:34post reply

Newcomers video
At the end of the video you can hear Hakan says "its time to oil-up". So he is oil wrestler. Well I'm pretty much hyped for this.

Megane
465th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Trailer n'stuff" , posted Thu 18 Feb 09:18post reply

quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zY1WGnnlLk

Ibuki's english voice made me uncomfortable, but then I heard Dudley's and started screaming in horror.

(also, Hakan teaser at the end)

Dudley sounds like he has no dignity.

He does have that DEMPSEY ROLL Ultra, so, trade-off, I guess?

I hope the japanese VAs for the ladies are better than that. Or at least, just copy pasta their 3S voices and I'm set.

Evenor
709th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Thu 18 Feb 12:21post reply

quote:
Newcomers video
At the end of the video you can hear Hakan says "its time to oil-up". So he is oil wrestler. Well I'm pretty much hyped for this.

WHY ARE ALL THESE ENGLISH VOICE ACTORS HORRIBLE?!
My god Dudley sounds sooooo lame. "Gutter Trash" will never sound cool in SFIV...
I also hope Hakan is super gay.

drink from me and live forever

Maou
1921th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Thu 18 Feb 13:01post reply

quote:

God, me too. He will be a nice counterpoint to Claw Balrog's aesthetic...we will have the most gorgeous matches.

Pollyanna
2856th Post

"Re(2):Trailer n'stuff" , posted Thu 18 Feb 13:03post reply

quote:

Dudley sounds like he has no dignity.

He does have that DEMPSEY ROLL Ultra, so, trade-off, I guess?

The sad thing is, after hearing Alex's appalling new voice in TvC, I'm thinking that Dudley's English voice may be our best option.

I can't tell if he's actually bad, or just not nearly as awesome as the original.

quote:
WHY ARE ALL THESE ENGLISH VOICE ACTORS HORRIBLE?!

Hey. Cody is awesome. He might be lacking in "HAH-HAH!" power, but the voice is dead-on. Adon sounds remarkably like his Japanese counterpart. You can't tell me Japanese Adon somehow sounds less ridiculous. Deejay's voice is appropriately awful and Juri sounds just fine.

Everyone else is pretty damned terrible, though...especially Makoto, it seems.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Digitalboy
675th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Thu 18 Feb 13:09post reply

I hope so too. I am really hoping that he is so retardedly flaming that it makes Zangief either really uncomfortable wrestling an oiled up half naked Arabic descent wrestler. Or it makes Zangief really comfortable...
quote:

Badoor is from the Middle East right? How do you think his accent sounds? For some odd reason when I heard his voice...it sounded Italian.

I don't know how to live

Spoon
1897th Post

"Re(3):Trailer n'stuff" , posted Thu 18 Feb 14:21post reply

quote:

I can't tell if he's actually bad, or just not nearly as awesome as the original.

I think it's actually bad, at least in terms of not fitting at all.

The person doing the recording may well have been told "get somebody who can do a stereotypical, snooty Englishman" without handing them any images of Dudley. As a result, you've got this really silly nasal voice that sounds like it belongs to a villain from... I don't know, James Bond Junior?

Dudley's a massive, muscular man with a nose that doesn't suggest such a strangely nasal voice. Now, if Balrog had Mike Tyson's distinctive timbre and Dudley was supposed to match that goofiness, then maybe they'd have a case.

Evenor
710th Post

"Re(4):Trailer n'stuff" , posted Thu 18 Feb 14:37post reply

Makoto vs Ibuki

You were wide open!

drink from me and live forever

Maou
1923th Post

"Re(5):Trailer n'stuff" , posted Thu 18 Feb 14:42:post reply

quote:
Makoto vs Ibuki

You were wide open!

This is a revelation! Finally we have the spiritual successor to Street Fighter the Movie Game! At last, an attack cry to equal movie game Ryu's dazzy-maki zem byakoo!!

Makoto sez: Say-chu zen godan zookey!!!!

A new era has arrived.

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 18 Feb 14:50]

Iron D
3376th Post

"Re(6):Trailer n'stuff" , posted Thu 18 Feb 18:47post reply

quote:
Makoto vs Ibuki

You were wide open!
This is a revelation! Finally we have the spiritual successor to Street Fighter the Movie Game! At last, an attack cry to equal movie game Ryu's dazzy-maki zem byakoo!!

A new era has arrived.

I don't mind Makoto's voice, Ibuki's is actually a little annoying, but DUDLEY'S? All I can say is, I hope the Japanese voice is much better (and really, how much worse than the Engilsh voice could it possibly be?).

Er.....

Iggy
9065th Post

"Re(7):Trailer n'stuff" , posted Thu 18 Feb 19:39post reply

The Japanese voices are in the trailer on the Japanese site. They are the same as in 3rd Strike.

The music make my hears bleed. Poor, poor 3rd strike. Who did they hire for the music, some guy from Udon?
Everything else makes me very, very sad. The fact that I'll have to play the game if I want any of my friends to keep on talking to me doesn't make the day brighter.

Pollyanna
2857th Post

"Re(8):Trailer n'stuff" , posted Thu 18 Feb 19:45post reply

quote:
The Japanese voices are in the trailer on the Japanese site. They are the same as in 3rd Strike.

Noooot Dudleeyyyyyy.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Iggy
9066th Post

"Re(9):Trailer n'stuff" , posted Thu 18 Feb 20:07post reply

quote:
Noooot Dudleeyyyyyy.

Is it not? I was so scandalized by what happened to his 3rd theme that my eardrums got on strike pretty fast.

hasukii
456th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(7):Trailer n'stuff" , posted Thu 18 Feb 20:23post reply

quote:
Makoto vs Ibuki

You were wide open!

A new era has arrived.

I don't mind Makoto's voice, Ibuki's is actually a little annoying, but DUDLEY'S? All I can say is, I hope the Japanese voice is much better (and really, how much worse than the Engilsh voice could it possibly be?).

I'm agree on Ibuki's ENG voice. I do hope the JAP voice for these new comers to be great.
I can't wait for this!

Who did this to these dogs ???

Nekros
226th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(8):Trailer n'stuff" , posted Thu 18 Feb 20:37post reply

quote:

The music make my hears bleed. Poor, poor 3rd strike. Who did they hire for the music, some guy from Udon?
Everything else makes me very, very sad. The fact that I'll have to play the game if I want any of my friends to keep on talking to me doesn't make the day brighter.

They're harsh techno/ebm rendition of the original themes. Makoto's is not too bad, but others are crappy. Adon's is nice instead even if I cannot stand the bass 'n drum background shared among those themes.

Just a Person
1342th Post

"Re(7):Trailer n'stuff" , posted Thu 18 Feb 23:16post reply

quote:

I haven't heard it yet... is it THAT bad??

By the way, I never got to play a lot of 3rd. Strike (the only SFIII arcade that came to my city was the 2nd. Impact one), so would you guys say if Dudley was a popular character? Ibuki is pretty much one of SFIII iconic characters (alongside Alex and Yun), and I know Makoto was quite popular due to her being one of the high-tier characters, but it seems that Dudley wasn't so beloved by the SF players until he appeared in that poll asking which characters we would like to see in SFIV...

Although storyline-wise (not that Capcom cares about the SF storyline), his inclusion makes more sense than Ibuki and Makoto, who should be kids by the time SSFIV takes place...

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

Tai-Pan
422th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(8):Trailer n'stuff" , posted Thu 18 Feb 23:56post reply

quote:

I just hope I can switch to JP voices on the american version of the game.

I don't get it. Who is handling the english voices? Capcom of America? I don't think so..who is in charge of this? How does it work? Do they actually plan anything? Are you going to tell me they start the day and go like "Ok let's record this Dudley guy - Englishman - Go get me some english dude c'mon quickly let's get it done"..
seriously Capcom...

Ishmael
3690th Post

"Re(9):Trailer n'stuff" , posted Fri 19 Feb 01:33post reply

quote:
I just hope I can switch to JP voices on the american version of the game.

I don't get it. Who is handling the english voices? Capcom of America? I don't think so..who is in charge of this? How does it work? Do they actually plan anything? Are you going to tell me they start the day and go like "Ok let's record this Dudley guy - Englishman - Go get me some english dude c'mon quickly let's get it done"..
seriously Capcom...

I think that Capcom Japan recorded the English voices as well but I can't find the citation for that one so don't quote me.

According to Nakky, Makoto has both her same VA and accent from 3S. It seems, however, that Dudley and Ibuki's voices have changed yet again. While I will miss Dudley's sporting admonishments Ibuki's shrieking dialogue in 3S made glass crack and caused all the dogs in my neighborhood to howl in pain. SSF4 gives as well as takes.

So far all the characters have been unveiled in groups of three. Since Hakan appears to be by himself what are they going to bundle his announcement with?

Going into info dump mode, the main page has been updated. First, as Iggy noted, the trailer is now up. Second, the character roster has the new characters displaying their Ultras and their Japanese voices. Third, Nakky discusses the character rivals and shows a shot of Makoto's alt costume. There's also some jazz about iPhone SF4 and news about what guests are going to show up at the next tournament.

Gojira
2578th Post

"Re(10):Trailer n'stuff" , posted Fri 19 Feb 03:05post reply

Dudley's English voice is actually not that bad. His intro speech sucks, and the initial impression is that it's just not deep enough, but otherwise with some getting used to it'll be fine. For the most part it doesn't sound any more phoned-in than the JP version, which has its own set of issues.

Ibuki's is okay... it's a different approach to her personality that kind of works, although some of the lines just sound lazy. The JP voice is better overall, more forceful and tomboyish, but I guess if you'd rather she acted more like a high school kid than a ninja you'd go with the English.

But Makoto... what in god's name IS that supposed to be. "Euuuugh euuuuugh stop hiiiiting meeee euuuugh euuuugggghhhhh saychoosan JAPANESEISEASY" It's gotta be a conspiracy to make people switch to the JP voice. Since, you know, they did so much work on it, hiring that expert and keeping the original VA. BTW I'm slightly amused that she sounds older when she's supposed to be a younger character, but that's how real time works.

P.S. Hakan sounds like a cross between Niko Bellic and Dr. Nick Riviera. That alone may be enough to sell me on the English voice.

shipoopi

Maese
566th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Re(10):Trailer n'stuff" , posted Fri 19 Feb 07:00post reply

Well, well, seems like things are shaping up quite nicely. While this new SFIV certainly does not sound good at all, it does look terrific!! Dudley, Makoto and, specially, Ibuki are probably my favourite characters from SF3, and they all look really gorgeous in my opinion. I'm kind of excited about this game.

My only beef is... was this *so* difficult to do from the beggining, Capcom? I mean, since the first installment of the game? Hmm, better to leave it as a merely rethoric question, I'm afraid.

karasu99
292th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Trailer n'stuff" , posted Fri 19 Feb 07:42post reply

quote:
My only beef is... was this *so* difficult to do from the beggining, Capcom? I mean, since the first installment of the game? Hmm, better to leave it as a merely rethoric question, I'm afraid.

The reasonable person in me wants to say that this is a response to user outcry about no SFIII characters, but the cynic in me wants to say that we should wait to see what crazy challengers there are in Super Street Fighter IV X.

Is making fun of the silly game name additions in the SF series back in fashion again? I sure hope so or else I'm hopelessly passé based on that last comment!

Megane
466th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Trailer n'stuff" , posted Fri 19 Feb 08:40post reply

quote:

My only beef is... was this *so* difficult to do from the beggining, Capcom? I mean, since the first installment of the game?

Technically, yes. Capcom didn't want to do SF again, need to go with safe cast for max familiarity, dev't time constraints, etc.

quote:

I haven't heard it yet... is it THAT bad??

By the way, I never got to play a lot of 3rd. Strike (the only SFIII arcade that came to my city was the 2nd. Impact one), so would you guys say if Dudley was a popular character?

It really doesn't fit Dudley the way you remember his voice in 3S. His in-combat grunts and attack call-outs sound a bit better.
As for Dudley's popularity. Dudley seems to have a cult following or something. He's not the poster boy for SF3, no, but there are many players scrub or elite who like him for his effectiveness and style.

Anyway, further news/rumors for Hakan:
The dudes who've had a try at the build says that Hakan is "gimmicky", "but vaguely original", Gief users might be more comfortable using T.Hawk, and "Losing to Hakan robs you of all sense of dignity. Especially if he Ultras you."

I don't suppose any depants'-ing is possible in SF4 (as that was a win-condition in oil-wrestling, or so I've read), I have no idea how to interpret the last one.

Burning Ranger
1641th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Trailer n'stuff" , posted Fri 19 Feb 08:58post reply

quote:

P.S. Hakan sounds like a cross between Niko Bellic and Dr. Nick Riviera. That alone may be enough to sell me on the English voice.

"Hay, Everybudy!"

"Hi, Hakan!"

Pollyanna
2858th Post

"Re(10):Trailer n'stuff" , posted Fri 19 Feb 11:17post reply

quote:

I think that Capcom Japan recorded the English voices as well but I can't find the citation for that one so don't quote me.

Usually the company (or rather, their American branch) chooses a studio and director for the project. The director then calls in people from his preferred pool of talent and holds auditions. The director chooses the strongest auditions and runs them by the parent company, who then decides the cast. The only Japanese company I know of that's directly involved in the recording (when it isn't ORIGINALLY in English) is Square. They have a Japanese representative approve each line as it is delivered.

Again, in defense of the SF4 English dub, I don't think long-term SF fans are the audience. Even if the dub was especially good, would you choose to use a set of voices that are different than the ones you grew up with? Even if the Japanese performances aren't good (something no one seems to accept as a possibility, by the way), they're still iconic. For someone who has always been happy with them, there's no even a need for a dub.

Although I will undoubtedly be playing the game in Japanese, I think...on the whole...the English dub is a good effort, and a greater accomplishment than I would expect for the English dub of a fighting game.

Also, although Makoto's dub voice is undeniably grating, it's also a reasonably approximation to her Japanese voice...annnnnddd although her Japanese leaves something to be desired, it's much better than the English we're used to hearing from Japanese people in fighting games.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Maou
1923th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Trailer n'stuff" , posted Fri 19 Feb 11:39post reply

quote:
Even if the Japanese performances aren't good (something no one seems to accept as a possibility, by the way), they're still iconic. For someone who has always been happy with them, there's no even a need for a dub.

A good point about the Japanese cast also sucking---outside of Vegamoto, they do---but I wasn't sure what you meant by "alwasy been happy with them," since the cast for SFIV are almost entirely new since the Zero series and III. I mean, at least they speak like normal human beings who are miscast, rather than...strange creatures in English, but still.

Pollyanna
2859th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Trailer n'stuff" , posted Fri 19 Feb 17:19post reply

quote:

A good point about the Japanese cast also sucking---outside of Vegamoto, they do---but I wasn't sure what you meant by "alwasy been happy with them," since the cast for SFIV are almost entirely new since the Zero series and III. I mean, at least they speak like normal human beings who are miscast, rather than...strange creatures in English, but still.

Wow! Shows how ignorant I am! Here I'm saying "can't you tell bad Japanese acting when you hear it?" when I can't even tell one actor from another.

Was there a backlash against the cast changing in SFIV? I honestly didn't even notice. I just assumed that some characters sounded a little different because so much time had passed since their previous recording.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Loona
297th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(10):Trailer n'stuff" , posted Fri 19 Feb 21:25post reply

quote:

Going into info dump mode, the main page has been updated.

OK, only now did I see the trailers page, and I'm certainly surprised they put so many references to the dolls in the 1st animated one... I wonder if that'll have any relevance in the actual game, like DLC, alternate skins for Cammy, or some randori mode or battle in story mode like the Juni & Juli fight in SFA3.

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Just a Person
1343th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Trailer n'stuff" , posted Fri 19 Feb 22:32post reply

quote:

Going into info dump mode, the main page has been updated.

OK, only now did I see the trailers page, and I'm certainly surprised they put so many references to the dolls in the 1st animated one... I wonder if that'll have any relevance in the actual game, like DLC, alternate skins for Cammy, or some randori mode or battle in story mode like the Juni & Juli fight in SFA3.

Someone at SRK.com translated T.Hawk's short bio for SSFIV, and it apparently mentions that he's once again looking after "Julia" (aka SFA3's Juli). So yeah, I guess they are relevant to the actual game.

S.I.N. is probably kidnapping the former Shadaloo Dolls, although we still don't know why.

But yeah, your ideas are quite good! Maybe there could be a surprise bonus stage where the player needs to fight all the 12 Dolls. At once. Maybe with some restraints to them so the match is more even (like making them with no special attacks, Supers or Ultras; maybe each one having half of a health bar).

Unfortunately, that just won't happen...

nobinobita
687th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Trailer n'stuff" , posted Fri 19 Feb 22:49post reply

quote:

Wow! Shows how ignorant I am! Here I'm saying "can't you tell bad Japanese acting when you hear it?" when I can't even tell one actor from another.

What a delightfully humble statement!

quote:

Was there a backlash against the cast changing in SFIV? I honestly didn't even notice. I just assumed that some characters sounded a little different because so much time had passed since their previous recording.

There always seems to be backlash from both sides of the fence. In recent years I've noticed that many publications state that you are a nipponophile if you like your games/movies subtitled. As someone who simply likes to hear things in their original language, this is a bit annoying. But this sentiment is probably just an over reaction to years of being told that only sissies like dubs.

Ishmael
3692th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Trailer n'stuff" , posted Sat 20 Feb 01:08post reply

Concerning my previous post: I was thinking of this development blog post discussing the voice work. The post talks about the work the team did putting the English voices into the game even though they had no idea what the hell the English voice actors were saying. There was, however, no mention about Capcom Japan having anything to do with the voice recording. Sorry about that.

quote:

Capcom has always had a slash and burn policy when it comes to SF voices so in a way yet another shifting of the voice talent is just business as usual. Back when all the characters did was grunt or shout the occasional tough-guy line it probably wasn't considered that big a deal but I wonder if that will change now that the characters are starting to have dialogue.

Personally I miss the SF2:WW days when the characters sounded like they were screaming into a metal barrel. Those were some amazing voice clips.

quote:
I don't suppose any depants'-ing is possible in SF4 (as that was a win-condition in oil-wrestling, or so I've read), I have no idea how to interpret the last one.
Haken continues to intrigue me.

karasu99
293th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):Trailer n'stuff" , posted Sat 20 Feb 11:23post reply

quote:

Personally I miss the SF2:WW days when the characters sounded like they were screaming into a metal barrel. Those were some amazing voice clips.

I've been thinking this since the beginning of this discussion. My roommate at university and I were obsessive about SF2:WW when it first came out and we had an entire language of what we thought they were all saying in the game, even after we knew what they were REALLY saying. AH memories.

Really though, I know almost nothing about voice acting. I'm much more likely to be turned off by a crappy translation that a crappy VA when it comes to English translation.

I keep hoping that Hakan won't be disappointing, especially with the ridiculous lead-up to his unveiling.

Nekros
228th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):Trailer n'stuff" , posted Sat 20 Feb 20:44:post reply

quote:

I don't suppose any depants'-ing is possible in SF4 (as that was a win-condition in oil-wrestling, or so I've read), I have no idea how to interpret the last one. Haken continues to intrigue me.

mhhh...blub..blubb..bluubb...and golden oil scrolls down. Geez, too much oil for a grappler to work fine imho. :P

[this message was edited by Nekros on Sat 20 Feb 20:44]

Just a Person
1344th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Trailer n'stuff" , posted Sat 20 Feb 21:22post reply

quote:

Anyway, further news/rumors for Hakan:
The dudes who've had a try at the build says that Hakan is "gimmicky", "but vaguely original", Gief users might be more comfortable using T.Hawk, and "Losing to Hakan robs you of all sense of dignity. Especially if he Ultras you."

Maybe he covers the opponent in oil, so he/she continuously slips and falls to the ground, without Hakan even needing to hit him/her.

I'm very curious to see this character! When do you think Capcom will reveal him? First half of March, perhaps?

kofoguz
818th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Sun 21 Feb 00:32post reply

quote:
I hope so too. I am really hoping that he is so retardedly flaming that it makes Zangief either really uncomfortable wrestling an oiled up half naked Arabic descent wrestler. Or it makes Zangief really comfortable...

I see what you did there.

Maese
568th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(9):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Mon 22 Feb 20:07post reply

quote:

I see what you did there.

I was under the impression that only scantily-clad ladies took part in oil wrestling matches... Oh wait, it's mud wrestling what I'm talking about. Silly me.

Hmmm, now that we're at it, Ohno could very well forget about muscular anatolic guys and bring back Elena with a mud-wrestler moveset... We should have more than enough homoerotic fun with the two grapplers we already have in the game.

Just a Person
1346th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Sat 27 Feb 01:26post reply

New and old Ultra Combos for Gen, E.Honda and Fei-Long.

Gen's two new Ultra Combos (yes, now the old man has FOUR of them!) look quite painful... to the opponent, of course.

I guess Gouki/Akuma and Gouken are the next ones to be officially presented at the SSFIV website, probably next week or the week after. The second brand new character should probably be revealed by mid-March, I guess.

Tai-Pan
424th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Sat 27 Feb 03:29post reply

quote:

Gen's two new Ultra Combos (yes, now the old man has FOUR of them!) look quite painful... to the opponent, of course.

I liked Gen's first Ultra..reminded me of this:

Ishmael
3701th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Sat 27 Feb 05:56post reply

I can't say I've ever been a huge fan of counter supers. Come to think of it, has there ever been a counter super that's been effective?

Digitalboy
678th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Sat 27 Feb 06:30post reply

YES!!! Of course, counter supers against other human players fall into the category: fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice shame on me. This is from my experience of performing counter SDM on my cousins in KOF'02 for the Dreamcast.
quote:
I can't say I've ever been a huge fan of counter supers. Come to think of it, has there ever been a counter super that's been effective?

I don't know how to live

Iron D
3382th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Sun 28 Feb 03:40post reply

quote:

This is my thinking as well. They require split second execution to nail them at the right time, and they're super predictable.

Er.....

Gojira
2579th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Sun 28 Feb 06:13post reply

I was using them pretty effectively for years until games stopped having them for some reason. I never knew people had a problem with them until recently.

shipoopi

Spoon
1902th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Sun 28 Feb 06:58post reply

quote:
I was using them pretty effectively for years until games stopped having them for some reason. I never knew people had a problem with them until recently.

I'd like them more if they had simpler motions. They usually don't give enough of a reward for their cost and risk.

Some interesting takes on them have involved using the regular counter (which is lower cost and lower risk) and then have the super as a followup to it.

I'd say that the thing which bothers me about them is not that they exist, but some of the characters that have them don't really need them. Aside from looking cool, they don't really fill a functional need for Fei Long or for Cammy.

If the meter for them is EXTREMELY short, then that might be kind of ok, but I think that Fuerte's Birdie-wannabe ultra does a much better job of making your opponent carefully consider not only their attacks, but their movement. Counter Ultras/supers don't have that effect. Since they might catch attacks that hit them on either side, they might have an advantage over DPs that come out the wrong way vs. meaty crossups, but their startup will likely limit/prevent their usefulness against option selected jump ins.

At least they aren't total garbage like Remy's counter SA: that move could potentially miss almost all of its hits and leave Remy open to getting hit in the process.

Tai-Pan
426th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Sun 28 Feb 07:27post reply

quote:

I found them pretty effective on the KOF series

Megane
467th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Mon 1 Mar 13:34post reply

quote:

This is my thinking as well. They require split second execution to nail them at the right time, and they're super predictable.

If only they can be cancelled, or be very safe, in case you screw up, maybe counter supers can be better.

Ishmael
3703th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Tue 2 Mar 00:36post reply

Dudley stuff from Famitsu.

Possible leaked shot of the new guy. Why must leaked photos -even the legit ones- have the worst picture quality in the world?

Just a Person
1347th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Tue 2 Mar 02:14post reply

quote:
Dudley stuff from Famitsu.

Possible leaked shot of the new guy. Why must leaked photos -even the legit ones- have the worst picture quality in the world?

So that's the so-called Hakan, the Turkish oil wrestler?

The picture is quite blurry, so I can't say much about him. The man seems to have quite a sexy mustache, though. Dudley could get some lessons from him.

Holiday
2604th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Tue 2 Mar 03:18post reply

Ooh bit late to the news. Makotooooo.
Can't wait to launch everyone into the air~

Iron D
3386th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Tue 2 Mar 06:37post reply

quote:
Ooh bit late to the news. Makotooooo.
Can't wait to launch everyone into the air~

Dudley's poses after he does his ultras...bad english voice or no, no one can deny that that man oozes STYLE. That aspect of him has translated well into 3d.

Er.....

Ishmael
3709th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Sat 6 Mar 05:51post reply

Some new Youtube videos here. Thrill to the sight of people checking the moves list!

Maou
1931th Post

"oguz" , posted Sat 6 Mar 11:44post reply

quote:

So that's the so-called Hakan, the Turkish oil wrestler?
Did you mean kofoguz?

I hope so

Spoon
1905th Post

"Re(1):oguz" , posted Sat 6 Mar 13:33post reply

quote:

So that's the so-called Hakan, the Turkish oil wrestler? Did you mean kofoguz?

I hope so

At first I was
and then i was

Ishmael
3711th Post

"Re(2):oguz" , posted Sun 7 Mar 05:08post reply

Character walkthroughs for Dudley, Ibuki, and Makoto have been posted over at Gametrailers.

kofoguz
821th Post

"Re(1):Oğuz not oguz." , posted Sun 7 Mar 08:42post reply

quote:

So that's the so-called Hakan, the Turkish oil wrestler? Did you mean kofoguz?

I hope so

Well I would be the character that squirt "yoğurt" to your (character's) face from a special clothed bag. Literally.
I wrestled (not professionally) years ago but not the oiled way unfortunately.

I wish your keyboards has the "ğ/Ğ". So my name wouldnt look so horrible. Actually speaking of "ğ", I wanna summon dear Professor and request that he would change "kofoguz" to "kofoğuz", if possible.

About leaked Hakan pic; it looks legit and also if imagined him in the right way from blurry pic he reminds me a "Yeşilçam" actor.
Also I hope he has the "hand through your pants back" move or Ultra.

KTallguy
1180th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(2):Oğuz not oguz." , posted Mon 8 Mar 12:13post reply

No Hakan yet, but lots of videos of Justin Wong showcasing new (3s) characters:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-character-super-street/62758 - Makoto Walkthrough

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-character-super-street/62757 - Dudley Walkthrough

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-character-super-street/62755 - Ibuki Walkthrough (!!!)

There are some more vids from a tradeshow here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Feuerwehrbrot#p/u/6/bLfPnqQG4CA

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

hasukii
458th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Tue 9 Mar 10:16post reply

quote:

If only they can be cancelled, or be very safe, in case you screw up, maybe counter supers can be better.

Ah man, I love counters ! I wish SSF4 has these kind of counters and I would love to use them! LOL

As other issues, I still prefer more really NEW CHARACTERS rather than pulling from other installments and call it NEW comers. They can make the 3rd installment of SF4 series and put all SF characters in it (much like SFA3 series)and that would be the best way to do ... LOL ! You know Capcom loves our money.

Who did this to these dogs ???

KTallguy
1181th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Tue 9 Mar 10:39post reply

I think putting fan favorites in is an easier way to get my money, unfortunately. I'm supremely happy that Ibuki is in the game. I wish there was a tag team function, so I could do an Ibuki/Guy team :)

On top of that, out of the truly new characters in SF4, Viper is the only one that feels like she has staying power. The other characters are pretty boring/ugly (not their playstyle, but their visual design). I would rather have Alex over Abel, and I would prefer a less offensive design for Rufus. Fuerte is ok, I guess.

But we still have one more new character to go, and apparently he's really hilarious and offensive, so we'll have to see!

Unfortunately everyone online is still going to play Ken over and over...

Just a Person
1348th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Tue 9 Mar 21:30post reply

quote:
On top of that, out of the truly new characters in SF4, Viper is the only one that feels like she has staying power. The other characters are pretty boring/ugly (not their playstyle, but their visual design). I would rather have Alex over Abel, and I would prefer a less offensive design for Rufus. Fuerte is ok, I guess.

What about Juri and Seth?

Pollyanna
2876th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Wed 10 Mar 05:57:post reply

quote:

On its own, I don't necessarily disagree with this statement, but I don't think it's fair to compare the old characters to the new ones. The old characters are iconic (SF3 excluded). They have solid designs, but they're still stereotypes. I don't know if they would really stand out by today's standards if they were freshly introduced. The new characters have the disadvantage of needing to fit in (somewhat) with the older designs and still feel new and interesting.

I think they really broke this idea with Juri, but she has my favorite design...so what can I say?

I love the (hand drawn) art from SFIV. It's amazing. The sketches in the art gallery blew my mind. Still...for the rest of my life, I'll be left wondering what characters Akiman would've designed. That man is the king of "simple but effective" character design. Regardless of how good (or bad) the SFIV designs are, I will always lament his lack of involvement.

(Random) EDIT: Seth has just about the lamest design I can possibly imagine. Almost anything would've been better.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

[this message was edited by Pollyanna on Wed 10 Mar 05:59]

Megane
468th Post

Gold Customer

"Oil up, folks" , posted Wed 10 Mar 10:13post reply

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/35904/super-street-fighter-iv/videos/ssf4_trl_trailer_30810.html

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/35904/super-street-fighter-iv/videos/ssf4_trl_hakan_juri_30810.html

Can't watch it yet, though, so you guys go first.

Just a Person
1349th Post

"Re(1):Oil up, folks" , posted Wed 10 Mar 10:48post reply

quote:
http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/35904/super-street-fighter-iv/videos/ssf4_trl_trailer_30810.html

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/35904/super-street-fighter-iv/videos/ssf4_trl_hakan_juri_30810.html

Hakan is... red. Not as in Native American-red, but LITERALLY red. And that thing on the top of his head... is that his hair or a helmet?

Quite a weird design, IMO. However, his attacks, specials and Ultras look AMAZING!! He really seems to be a fun character to play (although not quite fun to look at).

I wonder who are the weird kids and the cute blonde young woman in his artwork...

KTallguy
1185th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Wed 10 Mar 11:08post reply

quote:
What about Juri and Seth?

Juri is actually not bad.
Seth is just a Gill/Urien clone for me.

Youtube links for you know who!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXFOlJusRWs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXLxgxX6poo

He's hilarious, although someone pointed out that his normals look bad and they might be right. Still, the shame of being beaten by this character outweighs that problem.

Megane
469th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Oil up, folks" , posted Wed 10 Mar 11:12post reply

quote:

I wonder who are the weird kids and the cute blonde young woman in his artwork...

Another forum guy says that Hakan says "i love my daughters they are all so pretty".

So, his wife and kids, I guess? Hakan is a family man.

karasu99
303th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(3):Oil up, folks" , posted Wed 10 Mar 11:37post reply

quote:

Another forum guy says that Hakan says "i love my daughters they are all so pretty".

So, his wife and kids, I guess? Hakan is a family man.

His kids all have his hair!

I don't know, I like him and his design. Juri and him are not disappointments, as far as I'm concerned. The other new characters? Um...

Gojira
2587th Post

"Re(4):Oil up, folks" , posted Wed 10 Mar 11:46post reply

So his second ultra is essentially him giving birth to the opponent.

BRILLIANT!

shipoopi

Oroch
1090th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(2):Oil up, folks" , posted Wed 10 Mar 12:09post reply

quote:

Hakan is... red. Not as in Native American-red, but LITERALLY red. And that thing on the top of his head... is that his hair or a helmet?

Quite a weird design, IMO. However, his attacks, specials and Ultras look AMAZING!! He really seems to be a fun character to play (although not quite fun to look at).

i'd have to assume he's persian or turkish since he practices turkish oil wrestling

Iron D
3388th Post

"Re(3):Oil up, folks" , posted Wed 10 Mar 18:09post reply

quote:

i'd have to assume he's persian or turkish since he practices turkish oil wrestling

I....really don't know what to say about Hakan. His design and moves have left me dumbfounded.

Er.....

Nekros
234th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(4):Oil up, folks" , posted Wed 10 Mar 19:35post reply

quote:

I....really don't know what to say about Hakan. His design and moves have left me dumbfounded.

Me too °_°
I mean....lots of complaints about how freaky were SF3 chars and then pops up this thing....
Looking forward to his gameplay, I'm very curious.

Digitalboy
681th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Wed 10 Mar 20:03post reply

Capcom answers!
quote:
Unfortunately everyone online is still going to play Ken over and over...

I don't know how to live

Count Hihihi
223th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(9):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Wed 10 Mar 20:34post reply

So he's like Darun Mister except that he's lame like Rufus. GOTY

Toxico
4884th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Wed 10 Mar 23:52:post reply

Famitsu article , they where slower than I thought...

Is the baby faced apron girl of the background of his profile pic is wife? Considering the miss match, I suppose that it's not surprise that the man has been active.

I'll commend Hakan for being the only thing in S/SFIV that has liven up to my expectations... For now.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

[this message was edited by Toxico on Wed 10 Mar 23:56]

Just a Person
1350th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Thu 11 Mar 00:37post reply

quote:

Is the baby faced apron girl of the background of his profile pic is wife? Considering the miss match, I suppose that it's not surprise that the man has been active.

I'll commend Hakan for being the only thing in S/SFIV that has liven up to my expectations... For now.

If that is his wife, she must have married really young... she looks like a teenager to me. But I'm relieved that the blue thing in his head seems to be just a helmet or something like that, looking at his artwork.

Anyway, Hadoken.net has posted several match videos from the event where Hakan was first presented. In all matches it seems the players were quite even; Ibuki seems to have a lot of possibilities, but she's still defeatable by guys like Hakan or Dee Jay... is that a sign that there is a good balance among all characters? I hope so!

Time Mage
2785th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Thu 11 Mar 00:44post reply

Hakan is probably the best new character of all fighting game history. Maybe I won't like him when I finally play him, or ends up being boring, or whatever, but so far, he's freaking AWESOME.

"News flash big guy: You can wax on wax off all you want I'm still... KICKIN' YOUR ASS!"

Ishmael
3712th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Thu 11 Mar 01:46post reply

quote:

If that is his wife, she must have married really young... she looks like a teenager to me. But I'm relieved that the blue thing in his head seems to be just a helmet or something like that, looking at his artwork.

Anyway, Hadoken.net has posted several match videos from the event where Hakan was first presented. In all matches it seems the players were quite even; Ibuki seems to have a lot of possibilities, but she's still defeatable by guys like Hakan or Dee Jay... is that a sign that there is a good balance among all characters? I hope so!

Those videos are making me feel really good about the character. Getting in and grappling combined with constantly having to monitor his oil levels looks to be an interesting play style.

The uses of his second Ultra also made me feel a bit more comfortable about the counter Ultras. For a counter move, Hakan spent a large amount of time sprawled on the ground. At one point instead of having to time the Ultra with an opponent's attack Hakan was able to able spot a jump, activate the Ultra, and wait for the opponent to land on him. While the uses for counter supers still look conditional that gives me hope that they aren't totally useless.

I also like the idea that Hakan would be really unpleasant to the touch. It's been some time since I've thought about how a character would smell or the other ways they could be offensive to the senses. Even a win against Hakan would be a sticky, outfit-ruining experience.

So welcome to SF Hakan. I'm looking forward to not only seeing what sort of color combinations are avaliable for your body and hair/bathtub mat helmet but to the joy of winning a match by squirting people out from between your legs.

Iggy
9079th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Thu 11 Mar 02:02post reply

quote:

I think she is. Remember, Sally, Dahlsim's wife, looks tremendously good as well. I like this trend.

Anyhow, Hakan looks like the best character created at Capcom since Zabi in Basara2.

Now I really want a Hyper SF4 to see Hakan and R.Mika face each other.

Pollyanna
2877th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Thu 11 Mar 04:42post reply

quote:

I had no expectations and he's far exceeded them!

quote:

Way wayyyy too early to say, especially regarding a character people have at most, spent a few hours with. Still, reading about some of the changes Capcom implemented on old characters gives me hope. It seems that we can expect at least the same level of balance as the last game with less Sagat abuse.

quote:
I think she is. Remember, Sally, Dahlsim's wife, looks tremendously good as well. I like this trend.

Perhaps someday we'll see an ugly woman with a ridiculously handsome husband as well. Hmmm...though I can't think of any female characters that are ugly in a fun way.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

kofoguz
823th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Thu 11 Mar 05:24post reply

As the Turkish guy I think his design is actually great, "the little helmet thingy is a bit wacky but this is SFIV. The red skin is because most oil wrestlers who have white skin end up having farmer tan on all of their body. Check for local Oil wrestling you know what I mean.

quote:

Perhaps someday we'll see an ugly woman with a ridiculously handsome husband as well. Hmmm...though I can't think of any female characters that are ugly in a fun way.

In country side of our country its common to see 16-18 years girls get married with arranged marriages. I'm so surprised they got creative with him an do him justice.

He's not Persian. He's name is Turkish, he says at the end of the video "I say Turkish wrestling rules". His wife's clothes are traditionally Turkish. So I can assure you that he's Turkish.

God I'm proud of Capcom. I cant believe I'm saying I'm proud with Ono.

More on this later.

Spoon
1912th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Thu 11 Mar 07:13post reply

quote:
As the Turkish guy I think his design is actually great, "the little helmet thingy is a bit wacky but this is SFIV. The red skin is because most oil wrestlers who have white skin end up having farmer tan on all of their body. Check for local Oil wrestling you know what I mean.

In country side of our country its common to see 16-18 years girls get married with arranged marriages. I'm so surprised they got creative with him an do him justice.

He's not Persian. He's name is Turkish, he says at the end of the video "I say Turkish wrestling rules". His wife's clothes are traditionally Turkish. So I can assure you that he's Turkish.

God I'm proud of Capcom. I cant believe I'm saying I'm proud with Ono.

More on this later.

This is probably the most culturally informed opinion of Hakan anybody is going to be able to find on the internet.

KTallguy
1186th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Thu 11 Mar 10:46post reply

That's great news!! He's somewhat authentic :)

Juan
4521th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Thu 11 Mar 10:50post reply

quote:
the little helmet thingy

It probably isn't a helmet. Looks more like Jojo's bizarre adventure hair

kofoguz
824th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Thu 11 Mar 18:13post reply

quote:
the little helmet thingy

It probably isn't a helmet. Looks more like Jojo's bizarre adventure hair

I thin it might be you dont want olive oil in your hair constantly. Might be hair or both, too since his mustache is the same color. I should check if there's a helmet similar.

Zepy
1553th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Fri 12 Mar 01:11post reply

Hakan is so awesome I spilled oil all over my pants

karasu99
304th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Fri 12 Mar 02:30post reply

quote:

Why is it that of all these new character designs, Hakan seems so much more in keeping with the old SFII roster? Plus he's got such... charisma! Which I am sure helps generally.

Seriously, I keep trying decide what it is that they got right with him that they got wrong with many of the others.

Burning Ranger
1644th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Fri 12 Mar 03:18post reply

quote:

Why is it that of all these new character designs, Hakan seems so much more in keeping with the old SFII roster? Plus he's got such... charisma! Which I am sure helps generally.

Seriously, I keep trying decide what it is that they got right with him that they got wrong with many of the others.

I think he's a character that doesn't take himself seriously, if this makes any sense. Sure, he's a Turkish wrestler, with a unique play dynamic. Serious gameplay, but otherwise, it seems to be all humor. Maybe like a Dan or Rufus, only turned up to 11.

karasu99
305th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(8):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Fri 12 Mar 04:04post reply

quote:
I think he's a character that doesn't take himself seriously, if this makes any sense. Sure, he's a Turkish wrestler, with a unique play dynamic. Serious gameplay, but otherwise, it seems to be all humor. Maybe like a Dan or Rufus, only turned up to 11.

That's a good point. Also, I think giving him a family somehow makes him a little more interesting, if that makes any sense.

Incidentally, Hakan is up on the official site. Plus a bunch of weird stuff on Nakky blog.

Ishmael
3714th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Fri 12 Mar 04:18post reply

quote:

Part of it may be that Hakan has such a bold but simple design. Back in the CPS1 days Capcom had to make every pixel count so the designs couldn't afford to be overly complex or subtle. That, and Hakan already comes pre-loaded with garish ST-style alt colors so it's like he's been around for years.

quote:
Incidentally, Hakan is up on the official site. Plus a bunch of weird stuff on Nakky blog.

I'm going to miss Nakky once SSF4 comes out.

Shots of the new outfits are starting to float around the internet. So far Ibuki and Dudley's new duds are in the lead by a mile.

kofoguz
825th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Fri 12 Mar 04:27post reply

quote:

It's so deep you have no idea they even got the wife and daughters right. Turkish fathers are really proud of their daughters. Turkish culture nowadays looks patriarchal, but in fact, in its nature it's matriarchal. So daughters are very precious to especially fathers. The arranged marriages' purpose was to protect daughters but in modern days some uneducated families act like its a sell-out, (they also destroying the culture with some stupid really old traditions like "berdel", "beşik kertmesi" and honor killings)...
So with "I love my daughters, they're so pretty", they even got that tiny part of reference right.

The sun burned skin, special pants texture, the personality and even his english sound like what it should be. The sounds, the "r"s, and the each stresses on each syllables sounds right.
The moves are perfect parody of the real moves. Only mystery is the helmet thingy and it looks good.
So they're pretty much did every part right. I'm very surprised.
Now they might tackle with BGM and Stage so I'm waiting with high expectations.

quote:
"I think he's a character that doesn't take himself seriously, if this makes any sense. Sure, he's a Turkish wrestler, with a unique play dynamic. Serious gameplay, but otherwise, it seems to be all humor. Maybe like a Dan or Rufus, only turned up to 11."

Its the opposite way, I think he take himself very seriously, he puts humor into his fighting in purpose. Its a strategy in oil wrestling to taunt opponents to psyche them up, while taking them down.

ONSLAUGHT
3881th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Fri 12 Mar 06:49:post reply

quote:
Interesting stuff by kofoguz

Very enlightening. What do you think of the bgm played in the trailer? I think it is his theme. Personally I like it a lot it's very catchy.
Do you mind if I quote you on a mexican board?

[this message was edited by ONSLAUGHT on Fri 12 Mar 07:00]

Maese
578th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(9):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Fri 12 Mar 06:54post reply

This Hakan guy is like the complete opposite of Rufus: a hilarious character done RIGHT. A great addition to SF annals, I say.

And I think the beef with his head is just too much Hirohiko Araki influence on Capcom's design staff. Not that it's the first time it happens, and it surely won't be the last...

HAYATO
967th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News" , posted Fri 12 Mar 07:40:post reply

quote:
This Hakan guy is like the complete opposite of Rufus: a hilarious character done RIGHT. A great addition to SF annals, I say.

And I think the beef with his head is just too much Hirohiko Araki influence on Capcom's design staff. Not that it's the first time it happens, and it surely won't be the last...

Well, well... an interesting character for a change!! I haven't watched the videos yet, but his design is quite striking, in a good way.

And about tha Arakian influences on Capcom... You may be right, his headgear reminds me of Ghiaccio's hairdo a bit too much... Anyway, a little of Araki is always welcome!!!

[this message was edited by HAYATO on Fri 12 Mar 07:41]

Iggy
9080th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Fri 12 Mar 07:45post reply

quote:

I didn't even waited and already posted it on a French board. You're not an asshole enough anymore!

And yeah, thanks Oguz for all the information. And indeed, Hakan's music is not only awesome, but also the only good music in the whole game so far. I'm afraid both the music and the Ultras might become annoying after a while... I'm really looking forward to it.

kofoguz
826th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Fri 12 Mar 07:55post reply

quote:
Interesting stuff by kofoguz

Very enlightening. What do you think of the bgm played in the trailer? I think it is his theme. Personally I like it a lot it's very catchy.

Of course I wont mind, I would be flattered.

If it's the BGM. I think its good. The vocal sounds like "Ağıt" sung by (usually)older women in funerals when they painfully mourning deceased loved ones except BGM make it cheerful and fast.

I hope Stage is not India/Pakistan stage. Since they spoiled me with a good character surprisingly, I want to see a "Kırkpınar" stage.

Spoon
1914th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, Ne" , posted Fri 12 Mar 11:10:post reply

quote:
And about tha Arakian influences on Capcom... You may be right, his headgear reminds me of Ghiaccio's hairdo a bit too much... Anyway, a little of Araki is always welcome!!!

Or maybe it's something from the 5th Element...

[this message was edited by Spoon on Fri 12 Mar 16:04]

Maou
1942th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Fri 12 Mar 14:22post reply

quote:

Yeah, I personally think it's the sort of hearty cultural bits (as kofoguz kindly affirms) they've associated with Hakan that are absent in other new characters. Like, to some degree, you could call the Street Fighter II cast stereotypical, but viewed in a more optimisitc light, I feel like there's a certain joy to the 'national traits', which can also be sources of pride or exoticism and not just a stereotype. It's FUN to have a yoga guy and a girl in a qipao and a Spanish fighter with roses and all that, and I think having a new character like Hakan identify with a country makes him more exciting almost--like, Abel and Rufus can't be traced to anywhere except "boring" and "ugly" just by looking at them. Viper may suffer from the same, a combination of bad design and lack of a culture to give her some sort of context. It's possible to do basically stateless/cultureless characters in a fighter too, of course, but for every dictator Vega or Rolento or whomever, you have a lot of chance for blah, too, since fighters are so visual and need to tell us a story based on their look/style, as often expressed in cultural terms.

Megane
470th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(8):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Fri 12 Mar 14:54post reply

quote:
Yeah, I personally think it's the sort of hearty cultural bits (as kofoguz kindly affirms) they've associated with Hakan that are absent in other new characters. Like, to some degree, you could call the Street Fighter II cast stereotypical, but viewed in a more optimisitc light, I feel like there's a certain joy to the 'national traits', which can also be sources of pride or exoticism and not just a stereotype. It's FUN to have a yoga guy and a girl in a qipao and a Spanish fighter with roses and all that, and I think having a new character like Hakan identify with a country makes him more exciting almost--like, Abel and Rufus can't be traced to anywhere except "boring" and "ugly" just by looking at them. Viper may suffer from the same, a combination of bad design and lack of a culture to give her some sort of context. It's possible to do basically stateless/cultureless characters in a fighter too, of course, but for every dictator Vega or Rolento or whomever, you have a lot of chance for blah, too, since fighters are so visual and need to tell us a story based on their look/style, as often expressed in cultural terms.

Let me touch on El Fuerte for a bit. He failed to resonate with players, even though he had the potential to sell well since he's a luchadore. I think it's because of the disjoint between his craft and his story (and maybe personality). We were probably expecting something completely different in El Fuerte, and his major personality trait is... cooking. I mean, I'd probably preferred it if El Fuerte has Griffon's personality; actually, given the little I know of the luchador mythos, I'd expect him to care about justice or standing up for the weak (and children) or whatnot.

KTallguy
1189th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Fri 12 Mar 15:30post reply

quote:

Yeah, I personally think it's the sort of hearty cultural bits (as kofoguz kindly affirms) they've associated with Hakan that are absent in other new characters. Like, to some degree, you could call the Street Fighter II cast stereotypical, but viewed in a more optimisitc light, I feel like there's a certain joy to the 'national traits', which can also be sources of pride or exoticism and not just a stereotype. It's FUN to have a yoga guy and a girl in a qipao and a Spanish fighter with roses and all that, and I think having a new character like Hakan identify with a country makes him more exciting almost--like, Abel and Rufus can't be traced to anywhere except "boring" and "ugly" just by looking at them. Viper may suffer from the same, a combination of bad design and lack of a culture to give her some sort of context.

There's a big danger though. Like if one of Chun-Li's attacks was to throw Gyoza at the opponent, that crosses the line for me. There's a certain line where the character makes fun of the culture in a way that doesn't celebrate it. I think that Hakan is tiptoeing the line, but doesn't quite cross it :)

Rufus is just ugly. I don't know how he was greenlit. If you want a fat, american fighter, something more like the guy in Tekken would have worked.

Loona
302th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(7):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Fri 12 Mar 21:31post reply

quote:

I think they got Abel mostly right - he looks serious (unlike Rufus, who to me fails to be funny while trying too hard) and not gimmicky (Viper with the gadgets and clumsy attempt to take on a more urban style like KoF's been doing for years, especially in the) to me. I find it unfortunate they tied his plot to Seth though.
El Fuerte suffers from a lame name and cooking gimmick that didn't need to come from anywhere, but between King from Tekken and Tizoc from Garou the hero-to-all children gimmick was more than taken already.

Reminds me of some articles I found months ago:

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?publicUserId=5533646&bId=8990847

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?publicUserId=5533646&bId=8990960

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?publicUserId=5533646&bId=8991054

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?publicUserId=5533646&bId=8991272

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?publicUserId=5533646&bId=8991448

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?publicUserId=5533646&bId=8992132

Probably not as complete as it could be (off the top of my head Ryoko Kano from Fighter's History could have also been mentioned as a double reference to people not mentioned in the articles), but still an interesting read for those curious about the origins of the fighting game genre.

The index to the guy's articles - a understandable SF-centered though - is here: http://www.capcom-unity.com/bigmex

What I read here about Hakan reminded me a lot of those texts - while Hakan seems a bit over the top for me, I guess the things they got right with him on the cultural level balance things a bit.
I still feel they tossed in that background family to shave off some gay points from the oiled muscled guy image, but what do I know...

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Just a Person
1351th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Fri 12 Mar 21:53post reply

quote:

Great analysis!

But you talked about Hakan, Rufus, Viper and Abel... I won't even ask an opinion about Seth (since he's not supposed to have cultural traits at all), but what about the other two SFIV/SSFIV newcomers, Juri and El Fuerte?

Nekros
235th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(9):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News?" , posted Fri 12 Mar 23:26post reply

Juri doesn't have any Korean traits, apart for taekwondo.
I've read on the net that lots of Korean people din't feel right about Juri's characterization. They say also her stage doesn't represent Korea well, it's generic and stereotypical without attention to nowadays realism.

Gojira
2588th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, New News" , posted Sat 13 Mar 09:30post reply

quote:
Juri doesn't have any Korean traits, apart for taekwondo.
I've read on the net that lots of Korean people din't feel right about Juri's characterization. They say also her stage doesn't represent Korea well, it's generic and stereotypical without attention to nowadays realism.

No offense, but what exactly are "Korean traits," exactly? This isn't the first time I've heard this so I've been wondering about it for a while. I don't claim to know much about Korea, but if I were to define a country's culture by its fighting game characters, everyone in Korea would run around in TKD pants with a Korean flag pasted somewhere on them either fighting delinquents or being delinquents. Is there a Korean character out there that doesn't fall under this stereotype that one can look at and say "yes this character is definitely Korean?"

shipoopi

nobinobita
701th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, Ne" , posted Sat 13 Mar 11:38post reply

quote:

No offense, but what exactly are "Korean traits," exactly? This isn't the first time I've heard this so I've been wondering about it for a while. I don't claim to know much about Korea, but if I were to define a country's culture by its fighting game characters, everyone in Korea would run around in TKD pants with a Korean flag pasted somewhere on them either fighting delinquents or being delinquents. Is there a Korean character out there that doesn't fall under this stereotype that one can look at and say "yes this character is definitely Korean?"

Good points.

But I think this is one of those "I'll know it when I see it" cases. People want something fresh that makes them think "oh cool, this character reflects their nation in a meaningful way." Based on the comments on this board, i would say that Hakan fits that bill.

Nekros
241th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, Ne" , posted Sat 13 Mar 18:14post reply

quote:

But I think this is one of those "I'll know it when I see it" cases. People want something fresh that makes them think "oh cool, this character reflects their nation in a meaningful way." Based on the comments on this board, i would say that Hakan fits that bill.

Yes, it is.
To me Korean people (seen only via satellite tv and drama shows, some cultural references in manhwa) are calm and very posed persons, nothing to do with Juri.
Kim from KOF represents them better.

Pollyanna
2881th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, Ne" , posted Sat 13 Mar 18:28post reply

Although Juri doesn't seem to be specifically Korean in any way except her fighting style, there are a large number of Korean nationalists who needlessly and loudly complain about any number of perceived injuries to their country's character. I'm sure she was quite offensive to them.

Actually, maybe Juri isn't so far off, as these Korean nationalists are most certainly rabid and crazy. Of course, this is a nasty stereotype about a sub-group of people, but it certainly does exist.

My favorite Korean stereotype is that they claim everything came from Korea. I didn't want to believe it, but I've seen it come up too many times in person.

Okay, I'm trying to be relatively inoffensive here, can Iggy please come in and be more racist for me?

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

ONSLAUGHT
3882th Post

"Re(4):Re(5):Re(6):Re(7):Re(make):Re(8):Re(tc)" , posted Sat 13 Mar 19:20post reply

quote:

Yes, it is.
To me Korean people (seen only via satellite tv and drama shows, some cultural references in manhwa)

Let me get this straight, you are basing your opinions of an entire nation and its people on what you've seen on tv shows and comics?

Nekros
244th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(9):Re(make):Re(tc)" , posted Sat 13 Mar 19:37post reply

quote:

Yes, it is.
To me Korean people (seen only via satellite tv and drama shows, some cultural references in manhwa)
Let me get this straight, you are basing your opinions of an entire nation and its people on what you've seen on tv shows and comics?

Obviously not.
What I'm trying to say is a Korean have not the image of a person like Juri, never saw in fiction a Korean depiction like that. And to me is not following the Korean traits I'm used to.

The Korea country is a region ruled by economy and military, what you see on tv or read is a soften reality.

kofoguz
827th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, Ne" , posted Sat 13 Mar 19:45post reply

quote:

Good points.

Exactly. If I had the chance, I couldnt make any better Oil-wrestler for (Street Fighter) other than Hakan.

Saying this I wanna say How I wanted to see a Felicia/Cham Cham case with KOF XIII/SSFIV. Unused designs for KOFXII/KOFXIII (especially mongol one), gives strength to my hopes.

Grave
1308th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, Ne" , posted Sat 13 Mar 20:57post reply

I'm very happy to hear your reactions to Hakan, kofoguz! The wide variety of cultural perspectives here never fails to lead to interesting discussion. To hear more about how the character's background was developed in future interviews with the SSF4 staff would be terribly interesting. It seems like such a great deal of care went into him whereas the 4 newcomers from SF4 still seem haphazardly slapped together, regardless of how much I like some of them. Perhaps that's why they saved him for last?

Iggy
9081th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, Ne" , posted Sat 13 Mar 23:39post reply

quote:
Okay, I'm trying to be relatively inoffensive here, can Iggy please come in and be more racist for me?

Korean complains about Juri are incredibly stupid. First, she wouldn't look Korean (but then, what would, except a gi or a traditional robe that wouldn't make TKD easy). Then, her breasts are too small (... for a Korean woman...? Really?)
Then, her stage is insulting, because it doesn't represent the country as it is now, but Korea as it was 20 years ago, or so they say. First, It's like if Mumbai people complained on the Indian stage because it doesn't show buildings and modern stuff. And besides, it's not like all Korea has been razed and rebuilt anew in 2005...

So, yeah. I think some people have such a huge thirst for recognition that they'll be unsatisfied at absolutely everything they'll be given. This side of Eurasia, we call them drama queen.

ONSLAUGHT
3883th Post

"Mmmhh..." , posted Sun 14 Mar 03:42post reply

quote:

Korean complains about Juri are incredibly stupid. First, she wouldn't look Korean (but then, what would, except a gi or a traditional robe that wouldn't make TKD easy). Then, her breasts are too small (... for a Korean woman...? Really?)
Then, her stage is insulting, because it doesn't represent the country as it is now, but Korea as it was 20 years ago, or so they say. First, It's like if Mumbai people complained on the Indian stage because it doesn't show buildings and modern stuff. And besides, it's not like all Korea has been razed and rebuilt anew in 2005...

So, yeah. I think some people have such a huge thirst for recognition that they'll be unsatisfied at absolutely everything they'll be given. This side of Eurasia, we call them drama queen.

I guess people will complain no matter what (notable exception with Kofoguz and Hakan, but still, it's only his opinion, we don't know what the rabid masses think yet).
1.-If the character has an appareance that makes you think "oh, that guy is from USA/Japan/Russia/etc" (even if those traits are lifted directly from tv shows or comics), he/she will invariably be an stereotype, and people will bitch about it.
2.-If he/she doesn't have certain national traits (again, stereotypes), people will cry "oh, that guy doesn't look american/japanese/russian/etc. at all!".
Number 1 and 2 happened here in Mexico with El Fuerte and T. Hawk respectively, and either one is always a shitstorm when brought to discussion.

What people don't realize, is that a country has a huge diversity depending on the geographic zone. In Mexico you can find, blondes, blacks, browns and a mixture of them. People from the north of the country is usually (but not always) taller and whiter, while southern people is usually (again, not always) shorter and with darker skin tones. Not everybody speaks with the same accent or even use the same slang (as a person that has been living most of his life in the south part, I sure have a hard time trying to understand what the hell the people from Mexico City are trying to say most of the time), that varies from state to state, hell, not everybody speaks spanish here, there are tons of dialects that still survive and are used in towns that are far from the main cities mostly.
So, how do you represent a mexican in fiction? Do you go with the lazy way of representing him as a short, brown noisy guy with a heavy accent? sure, it is accurate enough, but a tall, blonde and educated mexican is not hardly unheard of, but then again, if they do choose that way, people will still say he doesn't look like a mexican at all (even if the persons saying that are blondes themselves... yeah,stupid people), and if they use a luchador, mariachi or whatever, people will say he's a goddamn stereotype and that they don't have imagination anymore... fucking people.

In any case I'm happy with both T. Hawk and El Fuerte design-wise, even if people joke about T. Hawk being an illegal alien living in Mexico.

Toxico
4885th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, Ne" , posted Sun 14 Mar 07:20post reply

quote:
. Then, her breasts are too small (... for a Korean woman...? Really?)

Most korean drawers that I have checked upon draw female breasts with a size as such, that you might be inclined to believe that you taking a trip in one of those "house of mirriors" that distort your image and make you look funny... for example.... Perhaps, that's what they where aiming for?

From the asian cultures that I have bothered to more or less read info about, Korean seems to be the one that has more strongly fused asian + american influence (and wasn't forced to do so by an oppressing government), but this can only be seen when we are speaking at certains "hip levels".... This tendency, however, is clearly denied by them, and as such we can see cases like the one that Polly described (I did it!, my idea!).

For the record, if this is Juri's stage, then I'll have to say, that I find it out of place for one of the villains to be fighting in such a homely environment. It feels so out of place, that it is almost like a 5 year old child that doesn't quake in panic next to "my years 50's B monster movie" like presence.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Maou
1945th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, Ne" , posted Sun 14 Mar 12:58:post reply

I think Juri's a bit odd in Street Fighter if only because the characters have usually been illustrative of some representative (as opposed to the more negative stereotypical, though they can mingle) facet of their culture. Juri I would have expected to have some more traditional Korean garb or some sort of martial arts motif, so she's definitely unusual for a SF character in that she pointedly has a nation but that it doesn't really tie into her character's image.

Naturally, we all know that not everyone in a culture can be represented by one image, but certain images are so important culturally that people will even permit it to represent themselves to some extent. Like, no one in Japan seriously thinks that it's all karate masters and geisha all day, nor will an American seriously think of their society as being distilled soley in a colonial figure or a romantic horseriding cowboy on the prairie or something, but these are reasonably evocative images that they themselves might use in invoking their own culture---even while knowing in the back of their mind that it's more complicated than that. It's sort of a form of 'self-exoticization' or at least presenting an archtype of one's own culture, but many people would dig it if the image presented is cool enough. Chinese girls all love Chun Li, and who can't admire Ryu or Guile even if they're almost comically over-the-top archtypes?

There's a few characters who stray from this in the original cast (Sagat not being very "Thai" and Blanka being...something, and it sure isn't capoeira), but the core 'cultural icon' cast generally works because even if they're not fully representative, they're cool enough that a person from the culture in question could conceivably think, "Yeah, that's sort of part of what my country is about." Stateless characters are much harder. I think dictator Vega is one of the great accomplishments for doing it so well among an otherwise culture-focused cast.

[this message was edited by Maou on Sun 14 Mar 13:03]

Ishmael
3718th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, Ne" , posted Mon 15 Mar 00:49post reply

quote:
I think Juri's a bit odd in Street Fighter if only because the characters have usually been illustrative of some representative (as opposed to the more negative stereotypical, though they can mingle) facet of their culture. Juri I would have expected to have some more traditional Korean garb or some sort of martial arts motif, so she's definitely unusual for a SF character in that she pointedly has a nation but that it doesn't really tie into her character's image.
Using the characters' nationality as an aspect of their personality is a part of SF but it has lessened a great deal since SF2. Even the later additions to the SF2 cast were less nationally driven; Akuma is more seen as a powerful fighter instead of another Japanese fighter, Cammy is more known for her ass than for her work representing the UK and so on. Personally, I see the more successful SF characters as having a defining personality trait.

The characters have to make a lasting impression with their actions on the screen, a few win quotes and not much else. They need to be presented boldly or else they aren't going to work. Dudley is a success not only because of his moves but because everything he does is representative of him as a gentleman boxer. It's also why Sakura will never age since being the fighting schoolgirl is her schtick. Earlier in this thread Megane pointed out the problem with El Fuerte is that he is lacking in focus. Is he a luchadore? Is he a cook? In spite of the character's energy he's hard to latch onto since his bio is all over the place.

So for me Juri's nationality is just background material that gives her an excuse to do a lot of kicked based attacks. Her defining trait is being the evil chick and so far everything I've seen of her makes me think she is going to do a wonderful job filling that role.

karasu99
312th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(9):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, Ne" , posted Wed 17 Mar 01:14post reply

Some additional shots of the new costumes. Kotaku behaves as though they are unconfirmed, but enough of them have appeared in other screenshots that they seem solid to me.

Not really sure what to think about some of them. Juri's is more tasteful than her standard outfit, although it would have been nice if they had changed her hair, at least, and Ibuki's is about as bland as I would have expected. Makoto's is... weird.

Count Hihihi
226th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old New, N" , posted Wed 17 Mar 05:07post reply

quote:
Some additional shots of the new costumes.

I love to hate on SFIV, but I have to admit that outfit Dudley has made me smile.

karasu99
313th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old " , posted Wed 17 Mar 05:58post reply

quote:
I love to hate on SFIV, but I have to admit that outfit Dudley has made me smile.

Don't we all?

Yeah, that is one outfit I was scratching my head about. But then I realized that I have no idea what I would consider an appropriate alternate outfit.

Count Hihihi
227th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old" , posted Wed 17 Mar 06:19post reply

quote:

Yeah, that is one outfit I was scratching my head about. But then I realized that I have no idea what I would consider an appropriate alternate outfit.

Hmm

kofoguz
828th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old" , posted Wed 17 Mar 06:54post reply

quote:
Hmm

Doesnt matter one bit. It's still sexy as heck.

Maou
1956th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old" , posted Wed 17 Mar 11:49post reply

quote:
Hmm

Dudley's coat is hot like fire. And I can't overstate how enthused I am about Ibuki's alternate. It's the same as Hinata's in Justice Gakuen, and the last heavenly game that had two school outfits must have been...that one, too. Huzzah.

I want to know what T. Hawk's new pants are made out of.

Maese
581th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old" , posted Wed 17 Mar 19:39:post reply

quote:
Hmm

Dudley's coat is hot like fire.

Having a Black Freddie Mercury as a selectable character is the kind of twist which turns a potentially interesting game into the most awesome interactive experience ever.

[this message was edited by Maese on Wed 17 Mar 19:45]

karasu99
314th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(7):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old" , posted Thu 18 Mar 00:23post reply

quote:
Hmm

Having a Black Freddie Mercury as a selectable character is the kind of twist which turns a potentially interesting game into the most awesome interactive experience ever.

To be fair, it is really appropriate costume-wise, especially given our discussion a few months ago about Dudley's possible Indian-ness.

I will thank the kind Count for pointing out the costume's origin! I had totally missed the reference.

Hey Maou, I'd like to think that T. Hawk's pants are 1980's American pro wrestler leopard print pants, but they probably aren't.

Ishmael
3722th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old" , posted Thu 18 Mar 01:53post reply

quote:
I want to know what T. Hawk's new pants are made out of.

Until you made mention of it I had not even noticed that T.Hawk had pulled up the shag carpeting from his basement rec room and worn it to the fight. I guess I was too interested in wondering how Ibuki's skirt would handle clipping and movement when she started attacking. The short answer is that Ibuki's skirt was far more fascinating to me than anything T.Hawk was doing.

Digitalboy
682th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Old " , posted Thu 18 Mar 16:04post reply

I thought i was looking at the SSF4 action figures. It turns out after reading it is just some themes for the 360.

Oh well...ASCII!
                  ▲
                ▲ ▲
              ▲ ▲ ▲
            ▲ ▲ ▲ ▲
          ▲ ▲ ▲ ▲ ▲
        ▲                  ▲
      ▲ ▲              ▲ ▲
    ▲ ▲ ▲          ▲ ▲ ▲
  ▲ ▲ ▲ ▲      ▲ ▲ ▲ ▲
▲ ▲ ▲ ▲ ▲  ▲ ▲ ▲ ▲ ▲
   ▓▓░░░░░░░░░░░░▓▓
   ▓▓▓░████████░▓▓▓
   ▓▓░█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█░▓▓
   ▓▓░░░██░░██░░░▓▓
   ▓▓░░░▓▓░░▓▓░░░▓▓
   ▓▓▓░░░░░░░░░░▓▓▓
   ▓▓▓██░░▓▓░░██▓▓▓
   ░▓▓███░▓▓░███▓▓░
   ░▓████████████▓░
   ░░████████████░░
   ░░████████████░░
   ░░████▓▓▓▓████░░
   ░░▓▓▓▓▓██▓▓▓▓▓░░
   ░░████▓▓▓▓████░░
   ░░████████████░░
   ░░░▓▓▓░░░░▓▓▓░░░
   ░░░▓▓▓░░░░▓▓▓░░░
   ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
quote:
Some additional shots of the new costumes.

I don't know how to live